Exclusive: Smallville's Erica Durance Strikes a Spark With One of Charlie's Angels

Charlie’s Angels executive producer Al Gough wasn’t kidding when he said the other day, “We’d obviously love to have any [Smallville alumni] come on the show.” In fact, it now seems he may have been holding out when he said that.

A studio source tells TVLine that Erica Durance — whom Gough cast as Lois Lane during his and Miles Millar’s lordship over Smallville — will guest on ABC’s new Angels as Samantha Masters, a tough-as-nails, Glock-toting CIA operative who has a bit of a romantic history with Bosley (aka “the fourth angel” in this new take, played by Ramon Rodriguez).

Al Gough Sizes Up Smallville Finale, Michael Rosenbaum’s Bid to Be Angels‘ New Charlie

In fact, their unexpected (and at times intense) crossing of paths while each on assignment in Cuba lets slip a bit of Boz’s checkered past, including a few of his aliases and a hint at what bad-boy behavior ultimately led him to Charlie Townsend’s redemption-by-private-investigation program.

Exclusive: Smallville‘s Cassidy Freeman Cops Role in CSI: NY Premiere

As Smallville entered its final stretch, Durance told me of her future acting plans — after I specifically suggested she be one of the new Charlie’s Angels! — “I just want to kick ass and take numbers! We’ll see if I get the chance.” Well, that chance is now on the horizon. Charlie’s Angels premieres Thursday, Sept. 22, at 8/7c, with Durance’s episode tentatively set to air in mid- to late October.

Chuck Scoop: Smallville‘s Justin Hartley to Guest Star

Durance recently shot a pilot for Canada’s CTV, Saving Hope, where she stars as the Chief Surgical Resident of a hospital.

Comments (67)

• Not my first choice of shows for Ms. Durance to be guest starring on, but I’ll take it! Can’t wait to see her kicking ass on my screen again. Thanks for the details, Matt.

Comment by Snap – August 11, 2011 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Guest Star! They should have made her the Main Star, it would have made this show something to watch. This is the type of camp Erica is great at.

Comment by TomW – August 12, 2011 05:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Definitely! I miss the Smallville crew and can’t wait to see their next projects!! wishing them much success! And Erica Durance would definitely have been a kickass ‘Angel’.

Comment by htstff – August 12, 2011 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damn this is great casting news for CA, can’t wait to see her.

Comment by Nathan – August 11, 2011 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG!! Thank you Matt for the Scoop. I was craving for the Durance to appear back on my screen. I’m so happy for her!

Comment by Wrenn – August 11, 2011 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Erica certainly knows how to camp it up so a spot on Charlie’s Angels sounds perfect for her. When I got to the part with “a bit of a romantic history” I was hoping the sentence was going to end with “one of the angels”.

Comment by xav – August 11, 2011 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You just gave me an idea for a superior headline. You just earned yourself 1,000 TVLine Power User Points!

(*fictional rewards program)

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – August 11, 2011 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Haha, priceless! That’s definitely an eye-catching headline. Well played.

Comment by wordsmith – August 11, 2011 08:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hell yeah! BAMF is back and she’ll be a kick ass CIA operative. Bring it! I’ll be tuning in for sure. Ohh and Ramon Rodriguez is a hottie, god I love that man… awesome stuff!

Comment by Isabella – August 11, 2011 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love this although she would of made a even awesome Angel.

Comment by qeee – August 11, 2011 07:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She would’ve been a good angel.

Comment by Matt – August 11, 2011 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly what I thought. She could easily replace any of the 3 chosen angels.

Comment by Kiki – August 12, 2011 05:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Erica Durance! Hope she sticks around. I’ll be watching when she airs. Otherwise, I’m not really feeling this remake.

Comment by AndyLuvr – August 11, 2011 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will watch just for Erica :)

Comment by Tiva4Life – August 11, 2011 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not watching anymore. Erica Durance can’t act her way out of a paper bag. And she looks like she’s 40.

Comment by John – August 11, 2011 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Some opinions are wrong: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBifmw7igow

Comment by Christine – August 11, 2011 09:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @ John. IMO even when Erica eventually hits the bog 40 she’ll still be FAR, FAR prettier, hotter and more generally attractive than the younger Kristin Kreuk, Allison Mack, Laura Vandervoort or Cassidy Freeman. Plus she’s a FAR better actress than any of them. It’s not for nothing that the beautiful and talented Erica Durance is getting so much work post-Smallville. The other Smallville alums? Not so much!

Comment by Jo – August 12, 2011 08:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oops. That should be ‘the BIG 40′!

Comment by Jo – August 12, 2011 08:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Jo, I love Erica Durance and I think she’s stunning. But what you just posted is not true. Kristin Kreuk (who is also very lovely and beautiful) has a new movie coming out called “Ecstacy” (a project that Erica was once attached to.) Allison Mack seems to really enjoy doing theater and is doing quite well with that. Cassidy Freeman (another beautiful woman) has a new pilot coming out this Fall and will be guest starring on CSI. I don’t know about Laura Vandervoot but she found a great deal of success on V. Erica Durance was my favorite of the Smallville actresses. Actually, I’d say Erica and Cassidy were tied in that i just really liked their personalities and I thought they were both awesome on the show. But you aren’t being a good fan to Erica or any other woman but putting down other women to build Erica up. After all the abuse that Erica has taken from other mean-sprited women (and sadly I do believe most of them were women) in the Smallville fandom…pleaes don’t contribute to the problem by pushing back with more nasty behavior. All of the women from Smallville were lovely. I adore Erica and i’m happy for her new role! The trolls who bash her and her appearance are just that…trolls. Erica played Lois Lane—one of the most iconic female characters ever created–for longer than any other actress. Some of the most famous writers and creators for Superman recognized her as being the “best.” She already won this war. The losers who continue to bash her already lost. Just let it go.

Comment by Elle – August 12, 2011 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Dude, I hope you’re gay.If you’re straight-you are screwed up !!!!

Comment by fireball – August 12, 2011 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh God, 40 is such an awful age. Watch out John, you’re gonna probably look awful too at that age.

Comment by K – August 12, 2011 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • holy crap Ramon Rodriguez and Erica Durance. Oh god I’m dying here… this is sheer HOTNESS, I dont think i can handle it… my babies have a romantic past. *DIES*

Comment by Brianne – August 11, 2011 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love her! can’t wait to see her on the show

Comment by Mike – August 11, 2011 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds rad. Thanks for the late night scoop.

Comment by Shawn – August 11, 2011 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First Justin Heartley guest starring on Chuck, and now Ercia on Charlie’s Angels. Nice to see Smallville alum taking on other roles.

Comment by Joy – August 11, 2011 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Would have love for those two to be reversed if for nothing else than to see Erica kick butt with or against Yvonne Strahovski but I’ll keep that dream alive. Meanwhile, love this scoop. Erica Durance just made CA 800% more awesome. Thanks Matt!

Comment by Jem – August 11, 2011 09:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have very little interest in Charlie’s Angels, but it is nice to see Erica working and I support that. She was a great Lois, even when Smallville itself wasn’t too great (there were a couple of seasons that were pretty bad).

I have to say, I’m kinda glad it’s just a guest starring role and not a regular. I’d rather see her and the other Smallville types on a show that I will want to watch. Let’s get her on Supernatural, Being Human, Ringer or Awake!

(Actually, I want to see Tom Welling on Supernatural. For some reason I think he’d be really fun to watch with Jared and Jensen)

Comment by Kyle Andrews – August 11, 2011 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wasn’t really excited for Charlie’s angels, but Erica guest starring on the show just sparked my interest. I will tune in for the pilot and definitely the episode Erica is guest starring in. I hope we get to see her kick some ass!

Comment by James – August 11, 2011 08:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it wrong that when I read that headline, I immediately started picturing Erica Durance and Rachael Taylor? This way works too, but I think I like mine better…

Comment by wordsmith – August 11, 2011 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My thoughts EXACTLY! This headline is such a twat tease, I fo sho thought it meant we were getting some ED-on-girl action!

Comment by Grace – August 11, 2011 09:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I definitely thought that’s where it was going as well LOL.

Comment by Markus – August 11, 2011 09:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d tune in just to see her. I absolutely loved her on “Smallville”.

Comment by Carrie – August 11, 2011 09:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish Durance got a guest star spot on Chuck. I think she could be great as an enemy agent – or CIA operative working against my favorite couple!

Comment by JHarnes – August 11, 2011 09:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damn you TV Line for getting my hopes up — I fist pumped like a mad man reading that headline only to further read its the 4th angel who’s a FREAKIN GUY that she had a past romance with. Ah shucks.
    Anyways lookin’ forward to her appearance, she’s stunning. Cheers mates.

Comment by Markus – August 11, 2011 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Exciting news !! I’ll watch only for ERICA !

Comment by woolanayu – August 11, 2011 09:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Erica proved herself as an actress who is capable of incredible range during the final seasons of “Smallville,” so I’m confident she’ll shine in her role as Samantha. She can definitely play smart, funny, romantic, and action heroine. She also seems to love to kick ass. I’m not sure about CHARLIE’S ANGELS, but I do know the show and its producers, Al Gough and Miles Milar, are extraordinarily lucky to have Erica, even if it’s only for a guest starring role.

Comment by Christine – August 11, 2011 09:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve been enchanted with stunning Erica Durance for years now. She’s such a fantastic human being and a brilliant actress. I’m so grateful Al Gough and Miles Millar chose her to play Lois Lane on SMALLVILLE. Now that she’ll be appearing in their new project, CHARLIE’S ANGELS, I’ll be sure to check it out. Thanks for the wonderful write up, Matt!

Comment by Georgia – August 11, 2011 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was actually hoping for Erica Durance to become one of the regulars back when this show was first announced…but this is certainly better than nothing. Hopefully, maybe one day, if one of the Angels decides to leave, they can replace them with Erica.

Comment by Summer – August 11, 2011 09:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hate Al Gough though. He was such an ass on Smallville and arguably the show got better in Seasons 8-10 after he left. I didn’t want to watch any show that he was involved in after the way he treated Tom Welling. But now I have to watch it because of Erica. ::sigh::
      And Al Gough didn’t find Erica Durance. Jeph Loeb was largely responsible for bringing in Durance as Lois Lane. Greg Beeman was also a huge part of her getting hired.

Comment by Elle – August 12, 2011 06:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Two thumbs up for this. Erica’s fantastic and super HOT, so I’m never opposed to seeing more beautiful woman like her in this new remake of Charlie’s Angels.

Comment by Kyle – August 11, 2011 10:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Woohoo! Glad to see Erica on American screens and major broadcast network. Might actually have to tune in this episode of ‘Angels’.

Comment by Tucker – August 11, 2011 10:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would loooooove to fap about her, especially in her Smallville “Isis” episode.

Comment by Cup of Joe – August 11, 2011 11:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I had the biggest crush on her in Smallville. I hope she does great in this role.

Comment by William – August 12, 2011 01:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great another Erica Durance show. “Look at me world as I strut around the set”.
    I’ll give this a miss thank you.

Comment by Paul – August 12, 2011 02:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well I’d watch that show! It would be so much more entertaining than with ANY of the other ladies from Smallville.

Comment by Bonny – August 12, 2011 05:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I won’t argue that fact with you. Snorville lost the plot years ago.

Comment by Paul – August 12, 2011 05:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Smallville was better Seasons 8-10 than it was Seasons 5-7. It got better in later years.

Comment by Elle – August 12, 2011 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rats! Erica Durance guest starring just made this show 1,000,000 x more appealing. Now I’ll be forced to watch it. Double rats!

Comment by Bonny – August 12, 2011 03:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i love to see Erica Durance as one of the angels rather than just a guest but its good to see her again… who know she may become a series regular too…

Comment by japs – August 12, 2011 04:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Erica!! Looking forward to having her back on tv.

Comment by Melissa – August 12, 2011 04:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Should have made Erica an angel with Mika, would have been worth watching, will watch just 2 see Erica.

Comment by josh – August 12, 2011 05:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay for Erica! So happy for her. Here’s hoping we’ll see her more on other projects!

Comment by Lupe – August 12, 2011 05:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looks like I am going to watch Charlie’s Angels after all. I wish she would be on Chuck. I’d love the opportunity to see Erica and Yvonne in the same scene kicking ass.

Comment by jay – August 12, 2011 06:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Erica Durance on my screen. Hell yes! Wish her all the best of luck!

Thanks Matt for the scoop.

Comment by shalimarfox80 – August 12, 2011 06:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damn it…now I’m going to have to watch this show. Erica was probably the best version of Lois Lane ever (which is saying something since Teri Hatcher, Margot Kidder, Noel Neill and Dana Dalaney were all also amazing in their day) and I was hoping she would wind up on my screen again after Smallville ended. Tom Welling and Erica Durance were gold together on that show and their relationship in the later seasons of the show was arguably what brought that show back after some crappy plotlines in Seasons 6-7. Honestly, Erica probably should have been one of the 3 Angels. She’s got great comedic timing and an amazing athletic body. But i’ll take a guest star appearance for her. Not if someone would just Tom Welling on a show I’d be a happy woman.

Comment by Elle – August 12, 2011 06:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was thinking the same thing. She should be the star of CA. At least that way I’d at least make an attempt to watch it.

Comment by Alex – August 12, 2011 06:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is assuming it makes it until mid-October lol

Comment by Danielle H. – August 12, 2011 07:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a amazing news!!! :) I cant wait!!! Erica Durance is an amazing actress. I am pretty sure she will be as great as always…the girl kicks asses ;)

Comment by Jarka – August 12, 2011 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome!

Comment by Jesse – August 12, 2011 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t have any plans to watch Charlie’s Angels at all! Now that Erica Durance is going to be a guest star in it, I’ll have to make sure I don’t miss her episode. Thanks for the scoop, Matt. You’re wonderful as always.

Comment by 1eclecticviewer – August 12, 2011 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks Matt for the scoop!!! I love Erica. She was by far the best Lois Lane ever. Can’t wait to see this episode.

Comment by eliza – August 12, 2011 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • hmm. while i won’t be watching Charlie’s Angels at all, i’m really glad Erica Durance is visible on-screen. i loved her from Smallville, and i hope we see much more of her. give this girl her own show already!

Comment by eviltwit – August 12, 2011 08:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you so much Matt! I know I’m late to the party but I just want to add my gratefulness to any news about former Smallville stars especially Erica Durance.

Looking forward to more ED updates, specifically which CA episode Erica’s guesting, her CTV series pilot Saving Hope, and filmed in Italy movie Gemelle!

Comment by sun – August 15, 2011 05:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Woohoo! Go Erica!

Comment by Bonny – August 16, 2011 05:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Woohoo! Rumor has it that Erica might appear on Dancing with the stars. I don’t usually watch that show but I would for ED!

Comment by Bonny – August 16, 2011 05:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • More Erica Durance is always a good thing!

Comment by Judi – August 18, 2011 07:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post