Exclusive

Exclusive: Smallville's Erica Durance Strikes a Spark With One of Charlie's Angels

Charlie’s Angels executive producer Al Gough wasn’t kidding when he said the other day, “We’d obviously love to have any [Smallville alumni] come on the show.” In fact, it now seems he may have been holding out when he said that.

A studio source tells TVLine that Erica Durance — whom Gough cast as Lois Lane during his and Miles Millar’s lordship over Smallville — will guest on ABC’s new Angels as Samantha Masters, a tough-as-nails, Glock-toting CIA operative who has a bit of a romantic history with Bosley (aka “the fourth angel” in this new take, played by Ramon Rodriguez).

Al Gough Sizes Up Smallville Finale, Michael Rosenbaum’s Bid to Be Angels‘ New Charlie

In fact, their unexpected (and at times intense) crossing of paths while each on assignment in Cuba lets slip a bit of Boz’s checkered past, including a few of his aliases and a hint at what bad-boy behavior ultimately led him to Charlie Townsend’s redemption-by-private-investigation program.

Exclusive: Smallville‘s Cassidy Freeman Cops Role in CSI: NY Premiere

As Smallville entered its final stretch, Durance told me of her future acting plans — after I specifically suggested she be one of the new Charlie’s Angels! — “I just want to kick ass and take numbers! We’ll see if I get the chance.” Well, that chance is now on the horizon. Charlie’s Angels premieres Thursday, Sept. 22, at 8/7c, with Durance’s episode tentatively set to air in mid- to late October.

Chuck Scoop: Smallville‘s Justin Hartley to Guest Star

Durance recently shot a pilot for Canada’s CTV, Saving Hope, where she stars as the Chief Surgical Resident of a hospital.

1. Snap says:

Not my first choice of shows for Ms. Durance to be guest starring on, but I’ll take it! Can’t wait to see her kicking ass on my screen again. Thanks for the details, Matt.

• TomW says:

Guest Star! They should have made her the Main Star, it would have made this show something to watch. This is the type of camp Erica is great at.

• htstff says:

Definitely! I miss the Smallville crew and can’t wait to see their next projects!! wishing them much success! And Erica Durance would definitely have been a kickass ‘Angel’.

2. Nathan says:

Damn this is great casting news for CA, can’t wait to see her.

3. Wrenn says:

OMG!! Thank you Matt for the Scoop. I was craving for the Durance to appear back on my screen. I’m so happy for her!

4. xav says:

Erica certainly knows how to camp it up so a spot on Charlie’s Angels sounds perfect for her. When I got to the part with “a bit of a romantic history” I was hoping the sentence was going to end with “one of the angels”.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

You just gave me an idea for a superior headline. You just earned yourself 1,000 TVLine Power User Points!

(*fictional rewards program)

5. Isabella says:

Hell yeah! BAMF is back and she’ll be a kick ass CIA operative. Bring it! I’ll be tuning in for sure. Ohh and Ramon Rodriguez is a hottie, god I love that man… awesome stuff!

6. qeee says:

Love this although she would of made a even awesome Angel.

7. Matt says:

She would’ve been a good angel.

8. AndyLuvr says:

Love Erica Durance! Hope she sticks around. I’ll be watching when she airs. Otherwise, I’m not really feeling this remake.

9. Tiva4Life says:

Will watch just for Erica :)

10. John says:

Not watching anymore. Erica Durance can’t act her way out of a paper bag. And she looks like she’s 40.

• Jo says:

@ John. IMO even when Erica eventually hits the bog 40 she’ll still be FAR, FAR prettier, hotter and more generally attractive than the younger Kristin Kreuk, Allison Mack, Laura Vandervoort or Cassidy Freeman. Plus she’s a FAR better actress than any of them. It’s not for nothing that the beautiful and talented Erica Durance is getting so much work post-Smallville. The other Smallville alums? Not so much!

• Jo says:

Oops. That should be ‘the BIG 40’!

• Elle says:

Jo, I love Erica Durance and I think she’s stunning. But what you just posted is not true. Kristin Kreuk (who is also very lovely and beautiful) has a new movie coming out called “Ecstacy” (a project that Erica was once attached to.) Allison Mack seems to really enjoy doing theater and is doing quite well with that. Cassidy Freeman (another beautiful woman) has a new pilot coming out this Fall and will be guest starring on CSI. I don’t know about Laura Vandervoot but she found a great deal of success on V. Erica Durance was my favorite of the Smallville actresses. Actually, I’d say Erica and Cassidy were tied in that i just really liked their personalities and I thought they were both awesome on the show. But you aren’t being a good fan to Erica or any other woman but putting down other women to build Erica up. After all the abuse that Erica has taken from other mean-sprited women (and sadly I do believe most of them were women) in the Smallville fandom…pleaes don’t contribute to the problem by pushing back with more nasty behavior. All of the women from Smallville were lovely. I adore Erica and i’m happy for her new role! The trolls who bash her and her appearance are just that…trolls. Erica played Lois Lane—one of the most iconic female characters ever created–for longer than any other actress. Some of the most famous writers and creators for Superman recognized her as being the “best.” She already won this war. The losers who continue to bash her already lost. Just let it go.

• fireball says:

Dude, I hope you’re gay.If you’re straight-you are screwed up !!!!

• K says:

Oh God, 40 is such an awful age. Watch out John, you’re gonna probably look awful too at that age.

11. Brianne says:

holy crap Ramon Rodriguez and Erica Durance. Oh god I’m dying here… this is sheer HOTNESS, I dont think i can handle it… my babies have a romantic past. *DIES*

12. Mike says:

Love her! can’t wait to see her on the show

13. Shawn says:

Sounds rad. Thanks for the late night scoop.

14. Joy says:

First Justin Heartley guest starring on Chuck, and now Ercia on Charlie’s Angels. Nice to see Smallville alum taking on other roles.

• Jem says:

Would have love for those two to be reversed if for nothing else than to see Erica kick butt with or against Yvonne Strahovski but I’ll keep that dream alive. Meanwhile, love this scoop. Erica Durance just made CA 800% more awesome. Thanks Matt!

15. Kyle Andrews says:

I have very little interest in Charlie’s Angels, but it is nice to see Erica working and I support that. She was a great Lois, even when Smallville itself wasn’t too great (there were a couple of seasons that were pretty bad).

I have to say, I’m kinda glad it’s just a guest starring role and not a regular. I’d rather see her and the other Smallville types on a show that I will want to watch. Let’s get her on Supernatural, Being Human, Ringer or Awake!

(Actually, I want to see Tom Welling on Supernatural. For some reason I think he’d be really fun to watch with Jared and Jensen)

16. James says:

I wasn’t really excited for Charlie’s angels, but Erica guest starring on the show just sparked my interest. I will tune in for the pilot and definitely the episode Erica is guest starring in. I hope we get to see her kick some ass!

17. wordsmith says:

Is it wrong that when I read that headline, I immediately started picturing Erica Durance and Rachael Taylor? This way works too, but I think I like mine better…

18. Carrie says:

I’d tune in just to see her. I absolutely loved her on “Smallville”.

19. JHarnes says:

I wish Durance got a guest star spot on Chuck. I think she could be great as an enemy agent – or CIA operative working against my favorite couple!

20. Markus says:

Damn you TV Line for getting my hopes up — I fist pumped like a mad man reading that headline only to further read its the 4th angel who’s a FREAKIN GUY that she had a past romance with. Ah shucks.
    Anyways lookin’ forward to her appearance, she’s stunning. Cheers mates.

21. woolanayu says:

Exciting news !! I’ll watch only for ERICA !

22. Christine says:

Erica proved herself as an actress who is capable of incredible range during the final seasons of “Smallville,” so I’m confident she’ll shine in her role as Samantha. She can definitely play smart, funny, romantic, and action heroine. She also seems to love to kick ass. I’m not sure about CHARLIE’S ANGELS, but I do know the show and its producers, Al Gough and Miles Milar, are extraordinarily lucky to have Erica, even if it’s only for a guest starring role.

23. Georgia says:

I’ve been enchanted with stunning Erica Durance for years now. She’s such a fantastic human being and a brilliant actress. I’m so grateful Al Gough and Miles Millar chose her to play Lois Lane on SMALLVILLE. Now that she’ll be appearing in their new project, CHARLIE’S ANGELS, I’ll be sure to check it out. Thanks for the wonderful write up, Matt!

24. Summer says:

I was actually hoping for Erica Durance to become one of the regulars back when this show was first announced…but this is certainly better than nothing. Hopefully, maybe one day, if one of the Angels decides to leave, they can replace them with Erica.

• Elle says:

I hate Al Gough though. He was such an ass on Smallville and arguably the show got better in Seasons 8-10 after he left. I didn’t want to watch any show that he was involved in after the way he treated Tom Welling. But now I have to watch it because of Erica. ::sigh::
      And Al Gough didn’t find Erica Durance. Jeph Loeb was largely responsible for bringing in Durance as Lois Lane. Greg Beeman was also a huge part of her getting hired.

25. Kyle says:

Two thumbs up for this. Erica’s fantastic and super HOT, so I’m never opposed to seeing more beautiful woman like her in this new remake of Charlie’s Angels.

26. Tucker says:

Woohoo! Glad to see Erica on American screens and major broadcast network. Might actually have to tune in this episode of ‘Angels’.

27. Cup of Joe says:

I would loooooove to fap about her, especially in her Smallville “Isis” episode.

28. William says:

I had the biggest crush on her in Smallville. I hope she does great in this role.

29. Paul says:

Great another Erica Durance show. “Look at me world as I strut around the set”.
    I’ll give this a miss thank you.

30. Bonny says:

Rats! Erica Durance guest starring just made this show 1,000,000 x more appealing. Now I’ll be forced to watch it. Double rats!

31. japs says:

i love to see Erica Durance as one of the angels rather than just a guest but its good to see her again… who know she may become a series regular too…

32. Melissa says:

I love Erica!! Looking forward to having her back on tv.

33. josh says:

Should have made Erica an angel with Mika, would have been worth watching, will watch just 2 see Erica.

34. Lupe says:

Yay for Erica! So happy for her. Here’s hoping we’ll see her more on other projects!

35. jay says:

Looks like I am going to watch Charlie’s Angels after all. I wish she would be on Chuck. I’d love the opportunity to see Erica and Yvonne in the same scene kicking ass.

36. shalimarfox80 says:

Erica Durance on my screen. Hell yes! Wish her all the best of luck!

Thanks Matt for the scoop.

37. Elle says:

Damn it…now I’m going to have to watch this show. Erica was probably the best version of Lois Lane ever (which is saying something since Teri Hatcher, Margot Kidder, Noel Neill and Dana Dalaney were all also amazing in their day) and I was hoping she would wind up on my screen again after Smallville ended. Tom Welling and Erica Durance were gold together on that show and their relationship in the later seasons of the show was arguably what brought that show back after some crappy plotlines in Seasons 6-7. Honestly, Erica probably should have been one of the 3 Angels. She’s got great comedic timing and an amazing athletic body. But i’ll take a guest star appearance for her. Not if someone would just Tom Welling on a show I’d be a happy woman.

38. Alex says:

I was thinking the same thing. She should be the star of CA. At least that way I’d at least make an attempt to watch it.

39. Danielle H. says:

This is assuming it makes it until mid-October lol

40. Jarka says:

What a amazing news!!! :) I cant wait!!! Erica Durance is an amazing actress. I am pretty sure she will be as great as always…the girl kicks asses ;)

41. Jesse says:

Awesome!

42. 1eclecticviewer says:

I didn’t have any plans to watch Charlie’s Angels at all! Now that Erica Durance is going to be a guest star in it, I’ll have to make sure I don’t miss her episode. Thanks for the scoop, Matt. You’re wonderful as always.

43. eliza says:

Thanks Matt for the scoop!!! I love Erica. She was by far the best Lois Lane ever. Can’t wait to see this episode.

44. eviltwit says:

hmm. while i won’t be watching Charlie’s Angels at all, i’m really glad Erica Durance is visible on-screen. i loved her from Smallville, and i hope we see much more of her. give this girl her own show already!

45. sun says:

Thank you so much Matt! I know I’m late to the party but I just want to add my gratefulness to any news about former Smallville stars especially Erica Durance.

Looking forward to more ED updates, specifically which CA episode Erica’s guesting, her CTV series pilot Saving Hope, and filmed in Italy movie Gemelle!

46. Bonny says:

Woohoo! Rumor has it that Erica might appear on Dancing with the stars. I don’t usually watch that show but I would for ED!

47. Judi says:

More Erica Durance is always a good thing!