Jennifer Lopez Returning to American Idol, Says Executive Producer Nigel Lythgoe

Jennifer Lopez is is apparently no longer on the fence about her American Idol future.

After weeks of carefully calculated suspense, Idol‘s executive producer  Nigel Lythgoe revealed on Ryan Seacrest’s radio program that the multi-hyphenate will return as a judge for Idol‘s 11th season, rejoining fellow panelists Steven Tyler and Randy Jackson, both of whom are in the midst of multi-year deals.

At the end of an interview about Wednesday and Thursday night’s two-part So You Think You Can Dance season finale, Seacrest asked Lythgoe, “Do you wanna go ahead and do the Jennifer announcement here, or are we still waiting?”

“I believe we’re still waiting for the official announcement,” responded Lythgoe, “but I am delighted to say that all three judges, along with the brilliant host of American Idol, is back for the next season.”

Comments (42)

• that’s just wonderful :\

at least we have x-factor

Comment by Andy – August 10, 2011 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Platinum Hit, The Voice and X-factor are [going to be] lightyears better than the mess they made out of idol. Not going to watch next season.. The season of the moneygrabbing Witch. No sir – thank you.. I’m gettin’ to old for this shh

Comment by remmez – August 10, 2011 11:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And maybe when you’re just a smidge older you’ll know when to use which version of to/too/two! :-)

Comment by Mike – August 11, 2011 05:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • i’m dutch – xcuse me ;-)

Comment by remmez – August 11, 2011 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wasn’t this official two weeks ago, with the revelation of her $20 million paycheck? I thought this was known.

Comment by Joe R – August 10, 2011 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I refuse to watch this person who cannot sing a lick, judging singers who can. Now, if this were a booty-shaking contest, then OK.

Comment by genome38 – August 10, 2011 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad Nigel is delighted. American Idol may have to struggle along without me this year. No judges would be better than that trio!

Comment by Bobbi – August 10, 2011 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Struggle along without you? Really? Douche!

I’m quite sure that we could all find a much better trio, you know? The ones who are actually relevant, talented and can give honest criticisms.

Comment by Cup of Joe – August 10, 2011 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • WTF.. are you for real bobbi. I’ll take the judging panel of Platinum hit any day instead of these bunch of tools. Relevance..? In your own mind perhaps, but in real life.. Randy, Steven and J-Lo are just as relevent as Ed Sullivan, Neil Armstrong and Richard Nixon.

Comment by ReMMeZ – August 11, 2011 02:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a shame.

Comment by Jenny – August 10, 2011 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Woo… oh who am I kidding. I can’t even begin to pretend how not thrilled I am by this. Oh well.

Comment by Amy – August 10, 2011 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Greeeeeeeeeeat. Maybe she can be more than pair of shiny legs and wasted space at the judge’s panel this season…

Comment by Aprilcot26 – August 10, 2011 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by SlezakFan – August 10, 2011 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The truly bad news here is that the buffoonish and worthless and altogether irrelevant Randy Jackson will be back. Of course, they’re never gonna pry his fat ass out of that chair willingly of his own accord.

Comment by jrs – August 10, 2011 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want to say this decision has made me seriously consider whether or not I will continue watching, but I always wind up watching just so I can get my Idoloonies fix.

Comment by Rebecca Parker – August 10, 2011 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ditto! Couldn’t have said it better. I have boycotted her music though.

Comment by Denise – August 10, 2011 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @Rebecca Parker

Speaking from experience, you do not have to watch the show in order to watch dear Mr. Slezak’s recaps! Trust me, I know of what I speak!

Comment by My Alter Ego – August 10, 2011 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh.

Comment by Chmarin – August 10, 2011 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • After the way she treated Haley last season, I don’t think I can watch again this season. I’ll still come here for Idoloonies, though. That was always the best part of idol anyway.

Comment by Amber – August 10, 2011 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Word!

That Autotuned, irrelevant and hypocritical broad ruined a lot of the Season 10 Idol experience along with that other irrelevant, cliched tool that’s known for producing that maddeningly sickening Glee anthem.

But hey, if it means she’d be a perfect object of rage for us people, then pass me those tomatoes to pelt her with.

J.Ho = Maleficent. ‘Nuff said!

Oh yeah, and is it already known that her ex has a lot more talent in his pinky than J.Blow would ever have.

Comment by Cup of Joe – August 10, 2011 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just had J.Lo’s face on my screen 5 times at once.

Comment by brandy – August 10, 2011 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I see that I am not the only one who isn’t interested in judges who don’t actually give critical information to contestants and blatantly gear what they say to create the outcome they want. Ugh is right!

Comment by Deb – August 10, 2011 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great News! No reason for me to watch this year. Thanks Nigel.

Comment by Jane – August 10, 2011 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As afar as I can make out, most casual viewers responded well to a change from Simon to a less critical, more targetted kind of feedback. JLo gives very targetted criticisms that are appropriate to the contestants. As a musician myself, I had been waiting for years for someone to finally give REAL feedback instead of dumb platitudes and I’m glad the first judge to take that role seriously has been retained, however much some sectors of the fan base may think she was anti-Haley or just generally too nice (both very subjective comments).

Comment by Ben – August 10, 2011 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The trouble was that at some point she stopped giving that feedback. If we can get the early season J.Lo. back, I’m all for it.

Comment by Kevin C. – August 10, 2011 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • They should add RYan Murphy as the fourth Judge. We need someone with balls to replace Simon.

Comment by Jason – August 10, 2011 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Do you realize that your argument about fans’ subjectivity is thrown out the window when your comment is also filled with it? Your sentence, “JLo gives very targetted criticisms that are appropriate to the contestants” is not objective in the slightest.

Comment by Volcfom – August 12, 2011 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Comment by Elaine – August 10, 2011 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, unfortunately the second that I read that she and M.A. were splitting, I knew her return as judge was a given.

But I’m still astonished by why she was ever picked to begin with. While she does seem to be able to bust a move, her primary talent (IMO) is her ability to promote herself.

She has no vocal ability whatsoever! (She also can’t act!) And given most of what’s she’s recorded, it seems that she’s not particulary good at selecting songs to record.

And yet, she thinks she has the ability to criticize Haley (and only Haley)regarding song choice???

Oops — maybe the sentence prior to the last explains the following! Perhaps, Jennifer does know how to advise about song selection.

Too bad she’s never learned how to apply that to herself.

Comment by My Alter Ego – August 10, 2011 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nope — I might just go elsewhere. How in the world did Nigel think we liked the judges this year???

Comment by Ablo – August 10, 2011 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Believe it or not, probably by looking at opinions beyond the very small and opinionated internet forum community.

Comment by Ben – August 10, 2011 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yup, the uninformed, mindless, misguided masses beyond the internet forum community.

Comment by Cup of Joe – August 10, 2011 09:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • really nigel…all 3 judges “is” back for next season? well shet mah mouf…they sure “is”

and such a shame it is…the best thing to do would be to clean house…and find someone who can actually provide legitimate critique… you know, like a real judge should

Comment by ai fan – August 10, 2011 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m glad someone else noticed that, too.

Comment by Volcfom – August 12, 2011 07:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t watch these awful judges another year I will get enough of the show from Slezak It’s liberating to be free from it actually.

Comment by Wendeeloo – August 10, 2011 09:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nigel is a smart man and I know he reads a number of blogs and online articles. I know he’s only one of many people involved in making decisions for Idol but I can only hope he picks up on the discontent felt by almost everybody regarding how bad the judges became last year. For 20 million dollars J-lo and her cohorts should be told that they actually have to provide insightful critiques to these kids instead of the blah blah in it to win it crap. Nigel or someone else at Idol stop the egos and reign in these judges.

Comment by DC – August 11, 2011 04:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Man not another year of Lopez! I was hoping for someone like Shania.

Comment by MR – August 11, 2011 07:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now I know that I made the correct decision in “breaking up” with American Idol last season toward the end. Reading this announcement just solidifies my decision to not watch this garbage any more. There are other, better shows on the nights that Idol is on to either watch or dvr. Thanks Nigel, for giving me the extra boost to leave this.

Comment by Sam – August 11, 2011 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay. NOT!

Comment by karenb – August 11, 2011 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This cements my plan to not watch next year. I hope I can stick to the plan.

Comment by Jonathan – August 16, 2011 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nigel doesn’t want any insight from his judges that veer away from his desire to control the outcome of his pick. I am sure that he has had his surprises over the years, but it seems to me that if an undesirable gets too close to winning, Nigel seems to prefer mediocrity to reign rather than ruining the Idol image with a talent that doesn’t fit the mould. As for his mean spirited puppets, J.Lo & Randy – vile. Can’t watch the nastiness that goes with Idol anymore and will sit my course with Idoloonies and Michael for my end of the week entertainment and visits to Utube to enjoy new talent.

Comment by Madabout – August 23, 2011 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post