Tim Allen Says New ABC Sitcom Last Man Standing Is Home Improvement 'Flip-Flopped'

We didn’t say it — he did!

If Tim Allen’s upcoming ABC sitcom Last Man Standing seems like the bizarro version of his ’90s hit Home Improvement, well, it’s because it is.

“It’s not rocket science what I’m doing here,” Allen deadpanned to a room full of reporters at the Television Critics Association summer press tour Monday morning. “What I really wanted to do with Last Man was flip-flop Home Improvement in order to investigate what it’d be like to be a man operating around four women who are intelligent, fun-loving, and strong.”

Last Man Standing — which premieres Tuesday, Oct. 11 — finds Allen playing Mike Baxter, a happily married father of three who heads up a once-successful sporting goods chain. “Instead of tools, it’s [now] sporting goods, guns, ATVs and boats — and I come home to four women,” he explained. “I just love to be able to be in that world, and I thought it would be fun.”

While the Home Improvement comparisons are certainly there and fun to point out, showrunner Jack Burditt noted, “At the heart of it all, this show is just a family comedy. That’s what we’re embracing.”

Are you looking forward to Home Improvement 2.0 Last Man Standing? Will lightning strike twice for the Alphabet Net and the Tool Man?

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Fall TV Preview, Previews, TCA Press Tour

1. M says:

So who’s the new Wilson? And will there be plaid?

• Patricia says:

I’m looking forward to see Last Man Standing, I know it will be a hands down for success. But, I wished that he would of had Patricia Richardson (Jill) in it & Al…and the boys…I believe Wilson passed on….very delightful actor….Tim could of incorporated grand-kids w/ them in the new show. I’ve always loved Tim Allen..he’s so funny…a delightful person that you’d want to be around…but has a serious side too…when the show left (Home Improvement)it was sad. I, miss the show…I watch the re-runs..and wish that the show would come back on…the family values the show had and the true meaning of friends. I really miss the show. Good luck Tim..I’d really love to see you in person some day.

2. Bella says:

I love both Tim Allen and Nancy Travis. I’m looking forward to this series. With the state of the world these days, I’m more drawn to comedies than to yet another police procedural.

• John Sanderson says:

Tim and the writers of this show nailed it again, what did they do come into my house for the idea I have 4 daughters. Nancy is perfect for her role as seem to be rest of the cast. Brilliant Casting. Best new Comedy show to come out in a Long Time. To think I thought I was the Last Man Standing.

3. Douche says:

Potential honest-to-god fun in this one. Let’s see if it’s standing tall by the seasons end.

4. Sj says:

Will one of the three children become one of the biggest teen heartthrobs of this generation?

5. Ward Cleaver says:

And Tim Allen brings another “comedy” to television with an idiot father who has his balls handed to him each week by the “intelligent, fun-loving and strong” women in his family. Wouldn’t want to make a show for once where the mother’s loving, but not the sharpest tool in the shed, and the father is the level-headed one who talks down to his spouse and treats her like a child. The TV Gods, and more important the fat-assed housewives that buy most of the crap advertised on these shows, would rise in revolt. Thanks for phoning it in, Tim! How’d that movie career work out for you?

• Michelle R says:

Did you miss pretty much the most successful sitcom of all time, Ward? I Love Lucy — or do you recall her being a Rhodes Scholar?

• Brian M says:

I believe you mean “rogue scholar”

• Ward Cleaver says:

Yes, a 60 year old sitcom, produced by one of the smartest women in show business, certainly makes up for just about every male-bashing sitcom of the last 40 years. Gosh, I’m just a dumb old man who needs his much prettier and smarter wife to explain the complex nature of everyday life. Thanks, Michelle! You sure told me! Though I would actually like to see a sitcom that features both parents actually being fairly intelligent, stable and loving, I know they would just be pushed around by those smart little monkeys they pop out like test tube Einsteins. Remember, conflict + victim + punchline = comedy sitcom gold!

• Amy says:

Except these are all comedies, and the “smart” wife never gets the punchlines; the “dopey” husband is the one who has all the funniest bits, and the one the audience is always meant to sympathize with. Also, he’s invariably a fat sob, while she’s always some svelte vixen. But then, I’m sure your aggrieved entitlement doesn’t stoop to actual analysis.

• Michelle R says:

You asked if “for once” the wife could be the one who isn’t the sharpest tool in the shed, the one treated like a child, and I pointed out the most successful sitcom of all time. You did not say in the last X amount of years or that the actress playing the part had to have the same IQ as her character.

You also them projected onto me a lot of beliefs I don’t actually hold.

Ever see this?

Guys are not the only ones who notice the ridiculousness of this.

• Bob says:

But Lucille Ball really didn’t call the shots on I Love Lucy, Desi Arnaz did. She didn’t get that kind of power until after they split.

• Heradite says:

There’s the Middle on ABC…the day after, same time.

• LJB says:

and how’s that beer belly working out for YOU?

• Teddysmum says:

I’ve watched the first episode and it is as funny as Home Improvement and I grew up watching and loving that show. Tv today has gotten more into trying to have the next cutting edge and dealing with major issues. Sometimes it’s nice to just laugh. And having watched the first episode I don’t know where you’re coming up with him being an idiot father who has his balls handed down to him. He’s a man living with four women dealing with raising teenage daughters and last time I checked, that is difficult for anyone. Especially for his character on the show, seeing as he is in a job where he travels all the time. It doesn’t show him as an idiot, it shows him as a parent that is in over his head and wanting to reconnect with his kids….I’ve been with my husband for 7 years and he still doesn’t know how to deal with female issues or listen when I’m talking, and I know several other men like that so he’s not abnormal. Have you never been in a situation with a woman where you were in over your head? I’d also like to say the character reminds me of my dad, who was raised by a grandmother and mother, had four sisters, a wife and raised two daughters and he had similar ideals to Tim’s character. I think the couple comes across as both strong parents like my parents were and I hope the show sticks around because it was funny to watch.

6. Aidan Williams says:

God i hope this show dosen’t get cancelled i love watching Tim Allen and am such a big fan of Home Improvement.

7. shalom says:

zzzzz

8. Sam says:

My prediction is that this will do well with the viewers and badly with the critics. I know. It’s like I’m psychic.

9. whatevs says:

Having grown up watching Home Improvement, I hope this goes well for him.

10. The Squatch says:

More importantly, when is Galaxy Quest 2 coming?

11. Dee says:

My biggest concern is that this is on ABC. It seems like in the last few years, if a new show doesn’t rocket to #1 in the ratings, the show is cancelled after two or three weeks. Should I make in investment of time in this, or just move on.

12. Templar says:

Love Tim Allen, so I’m in. As for comedies where the men are as smart or smarter than the ladies, you may need to watch Brit shows. Keeping Up Appearances, As Time Goes By, Are You Being Served etc. The formula for American shows follows the logic that “The fool gets the laughs” and those who make us laugh gain fame and fortune.

13. tracy aldwin says:

I love Tim Allen on tv and hope this isn’t just another sitcom with gratuitous cursing, putdowns, etc. He just needs to keep his “standup comedy” behavior/language off the program and hopefully not follow the crowd as most other sitcoms have done.

14. h kelly says:

I don’t care if his character is a doofus…Tim Allen can deliver the lines if the writers can write them. Hope he keeps the twinkle in his eye for a long time. Hey, ABC, let him be!!

15. vince says:

I grew up watching Home Improvement. I enjoy how its family oriented and the humour was perfectly balanced that followed some life values. I still watch home improvement when I see the reruns, so i look forward to this show. Tim Allen rocks!

16. Katelyn says:

Actually, Bob, Lucille Ball created I Love Lucy and insisted Desi Arnaz appear on it or there would be no show. She also, in fact, called most of the shots on her set and had equal, and arguably greater, control of the business aspects than Desi Arnaz did. The fact to which you are referring is that she was not technically an “owner” of Desilu after the divorce. Then, guess what? She went on to own, create, and star in no less than 3 more highly successful sitcoms well into the 1980s – all while playing the dizzy redhead people have come to love as a strong, and hilarious, female lead.

17. Katelyn says:

Correction: that should read “UNTIL after the divorce.”

18. Holly says:

wow people, its just a tv show for entertainment and comedy, not to be made out of reality. calm down and laugh a little.

19. Liz says:

Well everybody, Roseanne was the rule of the roost and the brains (most of the time) on her show. Sara Gilbert (Darlene) was the dominant bossy intelligent female in the relationship of her and David. Modern tv has been there and done that. So who cares if the husband or the wife is the superior intellectual? Also I seem to recall Al Bundy taking a kick to the head from Peg in every episode. This is no new concept. Lets enjoy and laugh. Tim Allen is one of the greatest!! Thanks for making a comeback Tim.

20. billyjean111 says:

It’s Tim (wild boar noise) Hoah Hoah Hoah !!!!! I think that’s how it goes back in the Tim the Toolman !!! Loved that show !!

21. Ernestine Thomas says:

This is All in the Family revisited.

22. I really enjoyed the first season, saw first episode of second season will never watch it again do not like the new girl! She is annoying and doesn’t fit well. Sorry Tim made a bad choice

23. effortlessly such as your web page but you ought to look at the spelling upon some of the articles you write. A number of options rife along with transliteration troubles we in locating the idea very frustrating in all honesty however I’m going to unquestionably occur yet again yet again.