Fall TV Preview

Connor Paolo Confirms Gossip Exit: 'I'm Done'

It looks like the Van der Woodsen clan will be down one member on Gossip Girl this fall. Connor Paolo’s time as Serena’s kid brother Eric has come to an end.

The actor — who is a series regular on the new ABC drama Revenge — can’t even imagine a scenario in which he’d return. Asked if he would go back to Gossip Girl should Revenge get canceled, Paolo shakes his head. “I’m done,” he tells TVLine. “You should never go back in life. Only forward.”

After trying to recall how Eric’s story concluded last season — “I went to college, right?” — Paolo admits he was fine with the non-showy goodbye. “I don’t think they knew I was leaving,” he explains.

At the Television Critics Association summer press tour on Sunday, Paolo told reporters, including Zap2it, “Eric’s going to college and he’s going to stay there. He doesn’t come home for Christmas anymore.”

Thoughts? Will you miss Eric? Deposit your two cents in the comments section.

Comments (47)

• He seems upset, just saying lol

Comment by Coral – August 8, 2011 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • totally agree!!! i’m really gonna miss him, what a great character, the only “good” one. he used to mantain a balance between everyone else who was fighting each other

Comment by celina – April 30, 2012 10:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • lol sounds like he REALLY doesn’t want to go back, which isn’t a surprise considering the show’s quality these days and eric continuously being underused. but what if revenge fails? i wonder if he’ll flat out turn them down.

Comment by Bee – August 8, 2011 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Once upon a time, I would have been upset by this, but now? Eric didn’t do anything anymore. Jenny’s not around, and he never spent time with his actual family. So, good riddance, smallest van der Woodsen.

Connor’s probably happy to be off that sinking ship, anyway. Didn’t he complain last season that the show was plot-driven and made it hard for actors to understand or justify their characters?

Comment by Hannah – August 8, 2011 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It sounds like most of the actors aren’t happy on the show anymore and want out.

Comment by V – August 8, 2011 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed, and yet this show gets renewed? I quit watching in early s3. I’m happy Taylor’s out, I saw her live and told her she was too good for this crap, she is a great talent.

Comment by lorna – August 8, 2011 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I miss him because Eric was pretty much a Dair shipper. I hope that his new show does really well though because I think he’s a good actor.

Comment by Rebecca – August 8, 2011 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked Eric, and I’m kind of sad to see him go. But now that the show has lost its token gay character, Chuck and Nate can hook up. Nate needs some purpose on the show anyway.

Comment by E – August 8, 2011 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Incredibly disappointed, but understood as he was underused.

Comment by Tabitha – August 8, 2011 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a prick. Connor Paolo was not very good as Eric. He should be thankful he was on GG, rather than display a “who gives a crap about GG” attitude. I hope Revence fails and Conner joins many others in the unemployment line.

Comment by Nate – August 8, 2011 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nate Archibald, get off the computer and find yourself a purpose to even be on the show! Maybe go shopping for a personality while you’re at it.

Comment by Captain – August 8, 2011 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I approve this message.

Comment by Parole Officer – August 9, 2011 05:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow..didn’t really see this coming. He does sound like he’s angry tho. Which I don’t get…repeatedly he has been offered a series regular status and he turned it down. SO, if his problem was that he was underused, then that’s on him. I’ll miss him because he was the most sane one on the show and I like the brotherly dynamic between him & Dan and the father/son chemistry between him, & Rufus.I did plan on checking out Revenge though for Emily Van Camp, so I guess it’s good that he’s got another project to go to.

Comment by Dwayne – August 8, 2011 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They gave him the option to become a series regular several times and he declined every time. so obviously he wouldn’t have meatier material.

I’ll miss Eric though. Don’t know why he’s so against doing guest spots.

Comment by Mo – August 8, 2011 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It doesn’t sound like he is angry, just done with being underused on GG. They do have a pretty shoddy record of ignoring characters. Too much drama, not enough character development.

Comment by Mikaylah – August 8, 2011 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the underused thing is partially his fault. They’ve offered to promote him to series regular a few times – since season one, in point of fact – but he’s regularly declined that offer. Maybe he just never really liked working there from the beginning, and finally found his out?

Comment by Summer – August 8, 2011 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, he turned it down. But the offer didn’t include more episodes and screentime. The offer was about being in as many episodes as before. I think they only wanted to make sure that they can use him whenever needed and that he had to ask for permission to do other stuff. But he wanted to be able to take other jobs as well.
      But yeah, not knowing if he is available for certain episodes might mean that the writers don’t try to create stories for him.

I am looking forward to “Stake Land” starring Connor. I got tickets for the movie at Fantasy Filmfest.

Comment by roadi – August 8, 2011 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I did not get angrey, more like… relief? Maybe disdain? I will go with disdain.
    I do not really blame him. I dropped GG sometime last season, and wonder why I did not do it sooner. On to better things for him, hopefully.

Comment by MDEP – August 8, 2011 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder if this is the CW’s doing. First Trevor Donovan on 90210 and now Connor. Are there any gay characters left on CW?

Comment by Brad – August 8, 2011 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why would he WANT to be a regular on Gossip Girl? Just look at the characters of Vanessa, Nate and Jenny. Plus, it’s his OWN fault for not getting more storylines? Please! Guest stars have MORE storylines than half the cast. That’s not the problem. The problem is the writers. They have an amazing actor who can pull anything off. And they have this character who tried to kill himself, THUS THE ENTIRE REASON WE HAVE A SHOW. Remember, Serena only came back BECAUSE of Eric. And what do they do to him? IGNORE HIM. And then finally, they bring back another depression storyline. And do what? NOTHING. That’s all on the writers.

Good for Connor. I’m watching Revenge for him. And I hope it works out. He deserves to show off his talent.

Now I just hope GG says that Eric decided to go to Brown or Harvard because going to Sarah Lawrence (WTF?!) doesn’t make sense if he doesn’t show up.

Comment by Kiss of Death – August 8, 2011 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I always enjoyed Eric’s character and especially his interactions with Serena, but he has been underutilized and Connor always seems unhappy with the role in interviews. It’s probably better that he’s moving on then; the show won’t benefit from someone staying there out of obligation rather than happiness. I hope he finds success and happiness in futue projects!

Comment by Samantha – August 8, 2011 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, I guess that means one less slightly normal character on the show. And in that way, I would’ve never wanted Eric to be a regular – getting involved in the kinds of ridiculous scandals the rest of his family was involved in, no doubt. In any case, I wish him well in any future endeavors.

Comment by em – August 8, 2011 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pretty sure he doesn’t want to come back because Taylor is not coming back.

Comment by ErixN – August 8, 2011 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He was probably one of my most favourite characters and the only one besides Rufus who was grounded and down to earth.

Comment by ryaneco – August 8, 2011 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sad, but good for him that he wants to move on! GG is a nice show but his character is underused and last season he pretty much had nothing to do. I do hope thought, that if a series finale is set in set and stone he’ll return to close things off.

Comment by ingmar – August 8, 2011 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nooooo!

Okay, Gossip Girl is now rapidly going downhill.

Eric, Jenny and other characters have either been underused or badly used for a while (I mean, really, last season they should’ve been redeeming Jenny but instead she got involved in another evil scheme).

I’m really beginning to wonder if the writers know what they’re doing.

I felt the same about Heroes, all the ingrediants seem to be there to make a great show but the people in charge don’t seem to be using them right.

They should be doing all that they can to keep Connor Paolo onboard but yeah, I totally understand why he’s leaving.

He and his character will definetly be missed.

Comment by Paul Penna – August 8, 2011 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t watch the show anymore but I’ve always liked his character. I don’t blame him for wanting to leave though. The show has rapidly gone downhill since S2. It’s awful.

Comment by Courtney – August 8, 2011 05:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow. I wouldn’t say that it sounds like he’s upset or unhappy with his time on the show, but he definitely seems like he’s happy to be away from it. Good for him on moving up in the world.

Comment by J. – August 8, 2011 05:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The producers asked Connor Paolo to be one of the main characters back in season 2 and he said no, also was asked the same in season 4 and he never wanted to be a main character like serena, nate, blair, jenny (etc, the gossip gang) because he didn’t like that much of exposition that the others have so I think it’s kinda his decision

Comment by Matias Dawson – August 8, 2011 08:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just wait until Revenge is cancelled. That wimpy little pipsqueak will be begging to get back on Gossip Girl.

Comment by Miffy – August 8, 2011 09:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t blame him. No actor wants to get trapped in a contract that keeps them idling in screentime and character development plus unable to moonlight. Main character status without any benefits of being a main character is a raw deal. It’s like giving the most productive employee a plaque instead of a promotion. He’s smart to get out now.

Comment by Jay – August 9, 2011 12:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not really, the problem is that he always had a problem playing a gay character, which I know TVLine included in an interview way back.

Comment by Damon – August 9, 2011 03:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have always enjoyed scenes with Eric and I’m sad to hear he won’t return but it sounds like he really does not want to be there. Perhaps they will recast the role and continue Eric’s story.

Comment by jlcollins – August 9, 2011 04:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He doesn’t sound like he left on very good terms, which is weird because a couple months ago he was talking about how he has a great relationship build on trust with the producers (because he doesn’t have a contract, but he shows up when they ask him to).

This is so weird to me.

Comment by caitiedidit – August 9, 2011 08:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Want to see you favorite Gossip Girl characters made into Barbie dolls?

Comment by Adam Higgins – August 9, 2011 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, he sounds bitter. His role was always a side character and he was not part of the main cast. I wouldn’t be surprised if Eric, Vanessa, and Jenny made some return guest appearances before the series ends.

Comment by Bee – August 9, 2011 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • dont really care,he became borry when jenny left

Comment by mooney – August 13, 2011 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does this officially squelch the rumor that Eric is Gossip Girl? I have wondered before if he is. I guess it can’t be him if he isn’t around to observe the Upper East Siders and report their gossip. Although maybe this could be done from afar if he had someone working for him that was still in NYC.

Comment by Roxie – August 16, 2011 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thats what you get when you make a character Dan 2.0, better watch out Chase.

Comment by Jess – August 20, 2011 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A nice character, but certainly not signficant enough where they couldn’t have Eric come home from college during the holidays featuring a new actor in the role, with him opting to stay and go to school closer to home.

I’ve been watching actor, Cody Longo, play Nicholas on “Days of Our Lives,” as he helps close out a story, and think he would make a good recast of Eric Van der Woodsen, who could finally get a larger, more adult story.

Comment by Fox Crane – September 12, 2011 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i feel like he wasn’t at all to comfortable playing a token gay guy. in the show he never even did anything with his”love interest” plus in an interview he sates that the two are very different and to me that shows that he choose the character he was most comfortable playing. he should be glad he even got used in GG because thats the only reason why he even found a spot on revenge which i honstly hope fails because it honestly looks like a boring show. just my opinion dont have to agree if you dont want too.

Comment by bridget – September 21, 2011 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad he’s gone. I’m sick of gay characters brain washing our youngest generations.

Comment by Freedom – November 8, 2011 11:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Haven’t watched the show in ages. Always liked Eric and little Jenny, they had a great dynamic. Shocked to hear that both actors have since left. Good luck to both of them.

Comment by rae – November 19, 2011 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • he should definetly stay. dont think anyone else culd capture that part like he did. i like da kid

Comment by Stanley Ellison – September 12, 2012 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Freedom, we don’t appreciate the blatant homophobia here. I find it amusing that people believed Revenge would be cancelled, and that GG would stay on air and that Eric would beg to return. The opposite happened. GG got even worse! I watched till the end, but it got very boring and lost a lot of ratings. Revenge has become a big moneymaker for ABC, and is a great show. Glad Connor left GG when he did for Revenge.

Comment by Dmitri – April 5, 2013 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hi, Neat post. There’s a problem with your website in internet explorer, would check this… IE still is the market leader and a big portion of people will miss your fantastic writing due to this problem.

Comment by the brand has become a leader in the international shoes industry-spun5 – May 13, 2013 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post