Ashton Kutcher's Two and a Half Men Role Is Officially Revealed

One of the fall TV season’s biggest mysteries has been solved. Appearing at the Television Critics’ Association summer press tour, CBS entertainment president Nina Tassler revealed that Two and a Half Men newcomer Ashton Kutcher will not be playing himself, nor a plastic-surgeried Charlie Harper, nor some “actor” named “Raymond.”

Instead, Kutcher’s character is named “Walden Schmidt, and he is an Internet billionaire with a broken heart,” Tassler told the press. She also noted that the Season 9 premiere “will be a two-parter [airing] over two weeks” starting Monday, Sept. 19, at 9/8c.

Tassler would neither confirm nor deny reports that Charlie’s Sheen’s alter ego, Charlie Harper, would be revealed as dead in the season opener. She also, somewhat curiously, did not directly address speculation that Kutcher’s character would be related to Alan and Jake.

Instead, she only added that the first episode of the “new” Men is “smart, funny, irreverent, and as risqué as the show has always been. People who are fans of the show will be really happy, and we feel that show has an opportunity now to recruit a new audience.”

As for the sordid Sheen situation itself, Tassler, when asked about “lessons learned,” elected to focus on Two and a Half Men‘s future.

“The great news is the show will be as irreverent as it’s always been,” she said. Also: “There is great value in hiring an actor like Ashton Kutcher. He is extraordinarily professional, talented, gifted actor who comes with a tremendous amount of commitment and enthusiasm.”

Asked if she would ever get into business with Sheen again (me: As if!), Tassler deferred, “Charlie has moved on to greener pastures. He’s obviously got a lot of opportunity on his plate.”

1. scooterbeanbag says:

Yeah, I still have no interest in the show. In fact, hiring Ashton makes me even less interested in watching than I did with Charlie.

• FedUp says:

Yea right!You are so “not” interested you took the time to click on the article and then more time to post a reply!Myself, I am looking forward to the show!Will be watching!

• Ben says:

Some of us are just interested to fnid out how the network is handling the changeover without actually wanting to watch the show.

• Sara says:

Ben…GREAT POINT. I am looking forward to the show just to see how different it WILL be without Charlie Sheen. Don’t get me wrong…I LOVE ASHTON KUTCHER. However, with regards to the show….I just don’t think it will be the same. It’s not because Kutcher isn’t a good actor but it’s for the same reason why sequels with different characters just are NEVER as good as the first.

• Daniel says:

I’ll be watching because of Kutcher

• Alan says:

If you don’t like the show then WTH are you doing here? My GOOOOD haters, get a life! After The Big Bang Theory this is the best comedy out there.

• K says:

if you really believe that I think you need to watch more comedy’s……

• davey says:

It’s comments like these that makes me very very sad for American television and its future.

• Amber says:

It’s comments like these that make me laugh. People talk as if “American television” is some intellectual entity that defines our culture and must be protected from the stupidity of Ashton Kutcher (which, incidentally, I believe to be a calculated and hilarious brand of stupidity). The “future of American television” is going to be just fine. Because it’s freaking television, not Royal Shakespeare Company. Seriously? The future of American television? As if it’s squandered it’s potential. Please. American Television gave us Gilligan’s Island and The Beverly Hillbillies. It’s not like we have some prestigious pedigree to maintain.

• Liz says:

Love this.

• Rob says:

Lolz!

And yet I really enjoy Two and a Half Men for the fine, some might say irreverent quality of their humor regarding . . . well, balls.

• Amber K says:

Oh, I don’t know, Amber. I definitely see what you’re saying, but I think television isn’t all crap. Sure it’s hard to think that when shows like The Bachelor, the Jersey Shore, and Toddlers and Tiaras are on the air, but for every of piece of crap show out there, there’s also very smart, very well-written shows on the air like Southland, Community, Mad Men, Justified, and the Walking Dead. Plus Aaron Sorkin is getting an HBO show, which I’m sure will deliver his traditional high quality fare. And I do think American television should strive to deliver high-quality programming to its viewers. Maybe our pedigree isn’t all that great, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t have a responsibility to do better. And they can, if they choose to. I, for one, hope they will.

• kc says:

Lol! Well said.

• Jay says:

Yeah, Community, The Office, Modern Family, and Parks and Recreation are DEFINITELY less funny than 2.5 Men o.0

• Baby Boi says:

• Baby Boi says:

And shows like Sons of Anarchy…. That is one of the most well written and acted series on television…. Takes you back to the movies like Boondock Saints, and Four Brothers…. I promise to love and protect you, to treat you as good as my leathers and ride you as much as my harley….

• ErrolSynn says:

Why is it that everytime an article is posted about Two and a Half Men that so many people feel the need to post comments telling us they don’t like the show and never watch it. What is with the obsession?

• Bobby says:

I agree. What’s a negative post good for anyway? If you don’t like the show, watch something like National Geographics. Myself, I like to laugh. Some of it is distasteful, but it’s funny, and I don’t look at it for guidance, just for the laughs. “LIGHTEN UP, OR DON’T WATCH”

• M K Vautour says:

I loved Two and a Half Men! It won’t be the same without Charlie Harper. He was the show. I can’t stand Aston Kutcher. I will watch the first couple of episodes just to see how they get rid of Charles, but after that …. Dancin With the Stars.

• I know…….I STOPPED watching the show when Charlie Sheen left. I cant stand Ashton Kutcher!!!! He is NOT funny……he is stupid!!!!!! I cant believe this show has even made it this far????? Are you kidding me??? What were you people thinking to replace Charlie Sheen for Asshton Kutcher…..YUCK YUCK YUCK……This show SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Michael says:

Sounds right up his alley.

3. Ana Maria says:

…I’d love for Ashton to have great success with this mainly because Charlie Sheen behaved so unprofessional and ungrateful in this whole mess…I’ve always stood by Charlie Sheen, me and my sister, and we defended him because no matter what he has done in the past, we liked him…but when I read that he started taunting Mr. Lorre, telling him that he knew that he wanted a drink, that was it for me…so go Ashton!…

4. Yule says:

Why do they keep hyping this up? They are really getting good mileage by using Charlie’s name and behavior as a plug interest for this show. I don’t care WHO replaces Charlie, it won’t be the same, no matter how long Ashton grows that beard.

• Eurydice says:

Who are “they”? Looks to me like CBS is going out of its way to not talk about Sheen.

• MaryANn says:

I agree… I will watch the first episodes to see what its like… But Charlie Sheen is what made the show the chemistry with the actors was awesome. and Ashton I dont think will be the same.. And they are know using Charlie Sheen to pretty much promote sickening…

• Yule is Charlie's new Publicist says:

There’s always at least one commenter who acts like Charlie is so above all this and CBS is desperate glom on to his bright bright star.

5. Jules says:

I disagree with the first post. Ashton was funny as Kelso & has shown some range on the big screen. Add to that that he has quiety shown himself to be brilliant on various social media arenas makes me want to support the show after Charlie- who I have enjoyed since Ferris Beuller- did his best to tank it.

6. Nora Boyle says:

This will be a feat of magic for Chuck Levine to pull off…but if anyone can, he can…I don’t know why they couldn’t let Alan just be the star, and weave in another guy later, Charlie’s illegitimate son for example, but then, the fate of this show remains to be seen. Kudos to Kutcher, though, and you know, break a leg…

7. jay says:

that is an awful name…i get less and less excited each day..

8. Hello, I’m an internet billionaire with a broken heart. Can I live with an effeminate mooch and his teenage son? What? You think that sounds worse than implausible, but downright creepy?
    And just what lessons have been learned? To let a lead abuse as much drugs as he can handle so long as he shows up for taping and the money keeps rolling in? That if an actor responds to an EP publicly slamming him, then that actor must be the entire cause of the problem?
    I didn’t watch much Two and a Half Men before, but I’m probably going to see even less now that there appears to be little coherency to involving a new character (and given my distaste of the actor — because of his work — chosen as the replacement).

9. Sivat says:

I am boycotting this shot. I won’t watch a Charlie Sheen-less 2.5 Men.

10. Mia says:

This was always a good back up show (not the kind of show that you would rush home for), but I’ve got to say if the rumors are true about killing off Charlie Harper I won’t watch. The network and writers trying to get back at Charlie Sheen at the expense of fans who care about the character is just wrong.

• ty says:

I know Charlie Sheen won’t be back so it doesn’t matter to me if they kill his character or have him run away with Rose or some other crazy scenario. I will give it a shot and see how it works with Ashton Kutcher. If it is funny, I will watch. If not, I will give it up.

11. Kate says:

Ashton Kutcher as an Internet billionaire? That doofus? No way! Talk about horrible casting! I am so disappointed…I loved Men, it was such a great show with Charlie Sheen but now Lorre and WB are ruining it! I can’t wait to see Kutcher crash and burn!

• michael says:

Ashton is anything BUT a doofus. IMO not only is he very funny in his roles but he has proven to be a good producer and director. Ashton has done a great job as a step father from everything I have read and is very devoted to his wife. Ashton will add a fresh element to the show. Charlie WAS a great charector on the show but started to beleive his own press and he is the one who crashed and burned, I hope he gets the help he needs and does not waste his talent or end up 6 feet under.

12. JJ says:

“recruit new audience” 2 1/2 is already the highest rated comedy show on tv. Recruiting NEW audience will be at the expense of the old one. I never did watch that show but I hope it pans out for them.

13. JBNY says:

I’m glad they finally got rid of that egotistical Charlie Sheen!!! To replace him with a monkey would have been better. I like the idea of Ashton Kutcher, he’s cute and handsome and I’m sure he can carry the show just as well as Sheen did or tried to do. He is a lot more professional than Sheen and I’m sure he won’t go around putting down the people who sign his paycheck like Sheen does. OK, “game on” for all of you who think Kutcher will fail!!!!! We’ll see who has teh last laugh.

14. SammyT says:

The only reason i’m happy is that here in South Africa we’re still watching season 7,so i have at least one and a half seasons before charlie leaves..I’m gonna cherish these one and a half seasons

15. 4qbud says:

I won’t bother watching this show myself. I never liked “Dude, where’s my Car” or any other Actors like that EXCEPT Jeff Spicoli (The only thing Sean Penn did that I liked was to play that roll against Ray Walston (One of my favorite Actors)). Ashton should stay home with his OLD Lady and stick to fluff like Camera Commercials. He sucks a big one as an actor and though Charlie Sheen couldn’t act his way out of a bag of cocaine, he did his fair part on two and a half Men. The Writer is the one who drove that show down anyways. He ran out of good or slightly funny stuff when he made the character Charlie get serious about an individual chick and think of getting married and then to the crazy one who super glued his genetalia to his leg. THAT was way back when the judge was funny. He got divorced one too many times and forgot how NOT to be jaded. It definitely affected his work.
    WINNING! Not hardly Charlie. Dry out, Clean up and beg for your job back. If you get it I might watch again. With Kootch-er, Nahhh.

16. Wonderwhy says:

Nina Tassler sounds like a class act! Good for her-keeping it positive and show focused.

17. Rosemary Kovacs says:

the old show was a little worn anyhow…things happen for a reason~this should be entertaining. I can’t wait to give it a try. All the other cast members deserve to continue to work despite what Charlie Sheen did.

18. maryscott says:

I’ve seen every single episode of Two and a Half Men and I feel VERY cheated. So I’m not watching the new series. As far as I’m concerned – it’s over. They should have cancelled it instead of recasting.

19. VDGarrington says:

Charlie Sheen was the show…..The show will never be the same and yes it might be entertaining but that show was made for Charlie…
    Half are more actors have some kind of dark side it’s just that some can’t hide it and some can…. Charlie Sheen is who he is and he was the show…

20. Mark Mendelson says:

Kutcher will lose us baby boomers, who watched primarily for Charlie.. His movies are bad and the show won’t make it… Charlie seemed to make everyone better, he was the centerpiece of the show…CBS’s weak attempt at morality, along with a financial issue can ill-afford to take this kind of chance and give up Monday night to another network….

21. Marc says:

It will be a hit for a few weeks then DIE a slow death

Charlie Sheen might be a jerk but he was the show

22. Maggie z says:

Two and a half men is my favorite show. I can’t wait for it to come back. I’m very nervous because charlie was my favorite part of the show. ashton has big shoes to fill. I really hope that I can get used to the changes. . september pleasr come any faster

23. Jack L. says:

No negative relfection on the actor,Kutcher, but you have changed the soul of the series.Sometimes throwing out the old for the new doesn’t work. Charlie may be a hubris, addicted actor, who needs help, but the fact remains …he is the soul. I wish you goodluck, but Charlie will be missed.

24. Vicky says:

I really hope they don’t have as much prostitutes and alcohol crap like the seasons with Charlie. Honestly, they should have just ended the series with “Uncle Charlie” going to rehab. It was originally a good show when “Jake” was younger, but then it became a show with absolutely no morals and disgusting humor. It plummeted. Personally, I do not believe bringing on a new character will help the series. Just end it already…

25. Shannon Kurt George says:

i have always liked the concept of two and a half men but watching charlie sheen play a playboy was like watching my dad re telling the storrirs of his younger days! charlies days are numbered i’m looking forward to seeing a more younger character that i could relate to play this role. if in doubt of Ashton kutcher I recommend you watch SPREAD.

26. lindalooloo says:

Yes Charlie was good.. but the WRITERS wrote the whole thing… the show is not going to be the same, but then it wouldnt be the same without Berta .. or Alan,,, or Jake either….

Again, Charlie didnt write it… the writers made the show….

imho

27. kemo says:

well first of all i’m a big fan of the show only because of the original characters ashton is a great actor but this show does not fall in his element i really believe that the new show will loose viewers in the process and without charlie the show is nothing you may disagree but this is my opinion i will not be watching the show at all

28. Bex says:

I have a theory that Ashton will play a long lost love child of charlies,,, i think they really do need to be related for it to work.
    I too am a fan but did see the show being a bit monotonous and couldnt stand Chelsea. I think Ashton will revamp the show and sure some die hards will even refuse to give it a go but hey… at worst… its a good perve on one mighty hot guy… something charlie never was.

29. megan says:

I don’t think it will be funny without charle for me I think he makes the show it just wont be the same with him off the show

30. Brad says:

Yes, the show won’t be the same without Charlie, but that doesn’t mean it won’t still be good, it could be even better. You cant say anything until you have seen it…

31. Brandon says:

To Be Honest With Out Charlie Sheen it Will B Rubbish

32. cheetahlove89 says:

omg.. i love two in a half men with or without charlie it will still be a great cant wait to watch toodles

33. SS says:

I think it would be great if Ashton turns out to be Evelyn’s illegitimate son that she had sent off to boarding school….after all, she has always very promiscuous!!

34. Darin says:

I love two and a half men. Like everyone else, I am very skeptical on which way the story goes just because I enjoyed how everyone complemented each other on the show. I will definitely give the new season a shot, but I am totally on the fence. If it loses its charm I will not watch, however I do hope it does well.(Only because I really like the supporting cast members on the show!)

35. walshy says:

Charlie is 2 and a half men , yes Alan bounces off of him and is a good foil as per the odd couple. Jake would not be missed, but no Charlie “Charlie” Sheen then forget it. The show is about Charlie Harper first and foremost, this new guy might as well be one of Charlie’s womens boyfriends other half, that turn up now and then to foil Charlies attempt on the guys woman – girl.

As I said , 2 and a half men is about Charlie Harpers life not about some other characters life.

36. Amy says:

I believe the show will be great with Ashton. He is very funny and a very good actor. I can’t wait for Monday to come to see how the show will turn out. To all you haters, don’t judge until you watch. You never know you may be surprised.

37. Steve says:

I think it’s the writing, not the acting, that makes this show great. Sheen pretty much phoned in his lines, as he’s done since Spin City, and still drew big laughs. With a fresh start for the writers, Kutcher only needs to deliver his lines at a base level of competency for this show to remain a hit, though his talent and positive energy should guarantee it.

38. Kev says:

Ahh, well all the controversy is over. Ashton Cooper has made it, the show Two and a half men is going on, and on. While I do not agree that Ashton Cooper is only mildly funny..he is only doing as he is told to do. Now the Angus T.Jones thing..THAT is funny! This kid is making 8 million a year, and he’s only 19. And he is trash talking the show. Hilarious.

39. Tried to watch the new show twice but lasted 10 minutes each time. Ashton Kutcher is horrible!! Not funny at all!!