Doctor Who's 50th Anniversary Celebration 'Will Be Huge,' Says Steven Moffat

Get More: Interviews, Previews, Scoop

The 50th anniversary of the Doctor Who franchise is still a ways off — it arrives in 2013, to be exact — but the BBC series’ current executive producer has already started thinking about what promises to be “an amazing year” for Who fans.

“I’ve got various plans, but all I can say emphatically is it will be huge,” Steven Moffat tells TVLine.

Will viewers get an extra memorable season of the series, come 2013? Or will the anniversary extravaganza involve, say, stand-alone specials?

“It won’t be just one thing…. We’ll be doing lots of stuff,” is all Moffat would concede. “The plans are quite extensive, and changing all the time. Oh my God, we will hit that year very, very hard indeed.”

Noting that BBC execs “are fully committed” to his grand vision, he said, “There’s lot of decisions we’re making that are about making all that possible. It’ll be amazing.”

What of rumors that the Time Lords of the past — any combination of Tom Baker, Peter Davidson, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy, Paul McGann, Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant — will reunite for the occasion? And might other familiar faces from the past return?

“Possibly…. It’s so far in the future, it’s only a set of notions,” he replies, adding that he’s still got this year’s Christmas special to focus on before he gets to locking in plans for the big 5-0.

Comments (121)

• SQUEEE! Sounds like it will be suitably epic. Moffat’s good with this show and will do it justice.

Comment by Sandy – August 3, 2011 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Indeed, my favorite episodes were Moffat’s before he took over

Comment by Me – August 3, 2011 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed, the Library episodes my favorite of all time, classics included. “Girl in the Fireplace” great! Then a cyberman gets killed with love in “Closing Time” come on that was just phoned in, granted he didn’t write it but he okayed it. The new episodes are starting to get too childish and cute by half. Stop making it simple enough for a child to understand, let their parents explain it to them. I mean more science and less fluff please?

Comment by noyourname – October 25, 2011 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Strange, I have actually stopped watching Doctor Who because I don’t like Moffatt’s work. But I will make an exception for the 50th anniversary and watch it.

Comment by Sivat – August 3, 2011 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Moffat has been a disappointment. When he was just writing a script a year, and had RTD to guide him, Moffat was brilliant. But on his own, with the responsibility for the entire show, Moffat has been a failure. He’s got lots of ideas, but doesn’t know how to flesh them out into a coherent story.

Comment by maggie – August 4, 2011 12:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I disagree. I think RTD’s over-arching stories (bad wolf, torchwood, etc) are big and flashy and “OMG, the world’s coming to the end” and very entertaining, but Moffat focuses more on the subtle side of human nature – fear and love and death (over and over again in Rory’s case) and hope. I’ve been rewatching all of New Who during this 6th series break, and I realized while I absolutely adore 9 and 10, I definitely like the Moff better than RTD as a showrunner.

Comment by mars – August 4, 2011 05:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Wrong. RTD is the better showrunner. That’s why I’ve been enjoying Torchwood SO much more than Season 5 of Doctor Who. I don’t think I will enjoy (or watch) DW again until there’s a new showrunner.

Comment by Sivat – August 4, 2011 07:35 AM PDT
          • So what are the cracks in time and the Silence, if not EXACTLY the same thing you are calling flashy?

I totally agree with the notion that Moffat is FANTASTIC when he writes one story a season, guided by a showrunner… but AS A showrunner, he’s totally disappointed me.

Comment by Rob – August 4, 2011 04:50 PM PDT
          • I think it is all a matter of taste. I personally prefer Moffat’s style but understand why people are attracted to RTD’s stories. Doesn’t make either of them a bad writer, just different.

Comment by esther – August 4, 2011 11:18 PM PDT
          • I’ve been a fan of The Moff for a long time and I have to say whilst RTD is a great ideas man SM is a much better all-rounder IMO. Where his dialogue is fresh, RTD’s is often clunky and obvious. SM’s narrative arcs are things of beauty too.

Really looking forward to this!

Comment by Dani – August 5, 2011 07:19 AM PDT
          • I agree that its a matter of taste. I personally prefer RTD as a showrunner because I felt he wrote more for the audience. I LOVED moffet when he wrote single stories (Blink anyone?) but I feel like he doesn’t give enough for the audience to grasp onto. Maybe its just me but I always feel confused after watching a Moffet story arc (now) because nothing feels ended/ I don’t feel like there was enough development in the story for me to feel invested in it (e.g. the silence)

I’m also hoping that we will either have a new doctor or a new companion VERY soon. Although I wasn’t always a fan of someone new every season with RTD I feel like the show needs some new blood

Comment by jenna – August 6, 2011 08:45 AM PDT
        • personally i think both are great show runners but at present think moffat needs more time. as when he has done another season or 2 it will be come clear that his story arcs are not just 13 episodes like davis but more like 26 episode more like the old dr who, which he said he would like the show to return to. he hAS done a great job of humanisng the show exploring characters feelings and how the dr reacts to them.he has posed a lot of questions and answered some and hinted where some may go for those who are prepared to look.in the paul mcgans movie the dr was described as being part human like river is said to be part timelord. is this the reason profesor river song looked so excited when she first met donna noble knowing that the dr and donna where going to have the metacrisis??? also knowing that she as a child would experience the metacrisis when she as the impossible astronaut would kill the doctor and him transfering the energy to her ??? there is so much moffat has brought to the show but the biggest is that he hides everything in plain sight something davis has not been able to do . davis was good but predictable on who but was never on torchwood. this new series of torchwood has to be some of his best work yet so think he made the right decision to leave who and concerntrate on torchwood. i hope davis and moffat colaborate on the 50th anniversary story and take the series to a whole new dimesion.

Comment by dj.s – August 7, 2011 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I also preferred RTD’s Doctor Who. I got a lot more invested in the characters than I did for the Amy Pond show.

Comment by gb – August 8, 2011 06:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • they gena call it amy who

Comment by peter – October 23, 2011 02:24 AM PDT
        • trust me ive got it all worked out after this you will see him like a god it was only whene i thout of this that i started liing him before i thout avrige at best

Comment by peter – October 24, 2011 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yeah I agree his work is no where near as good as Russel T Davies, Steven’s work seems alot more immature and aimed at younger people with dogey storylines that confuse the hell out of people and cheap ways to get out of things such as the end of the 6th season with the big robot thing. It just seemed like they wrote the first episode of the season and they didn’t know how they were going to get him out of it so they wrote the robot thing in just with the sole reason to get the doctor to survivr.

Comment by Jimbo Morgue – May 26, 2012 05:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • At last!!! Someone who doesn’t like what Moffat has done. Great story writer it’s true but the show is unrecognisable since he took over. It doesn’t even look like Dr Who any more. I’ve been a huge fan since I was a child and loved what RTD and his crew made it but now??? I can’t even watch it. Dull, Dull Dull. Washed out colours, boring prodction, far too many silly changes( new daleks, fisher price console tardis etc)Naff companion and as for Matt Smith?? Might have stood a chance if it hadn’t been changed so much but no sorry-Rubbish. Bring back RTD and Co. and lets get some emotion back in!!!!

Comment by Terry Smith – November 19, 2011 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Agreed 100%
          I can’t watch it anymore, no emotion, no character involvement and most of all no continuity with any of the old doctors. I hate it!!!

Comment by James – September 18, 2012 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just want them to check in with Rose and the half-human Tenth Doctor on Pete’s World. That’s all I care about.

Comment by Sivat – August 3, 2011 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That would be awesome and epic…I often wish they would show an update of Rose and the Tennant clone guy.

Comment by Shannon – August 3, 2011 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I am hoping Rose and the duplicate Doctor have married and had a child in Pete’s World. I loved the romance between Rose and the Doctor.

Comment by Sivat – August 3, 2011 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • me too the best couple in the universe i want them to return for the anniversary i dont want him to return without billie i dont want jenny to come back or the 5th doctor i hope our dream is fufilled in 2013 it will be a moment i will remember forever

Comment by marie – August 3, 2011 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Agreed. Rose and the half-human Doctor NEED to have a baby together. The love between Rose and the Doctor was the reason why I watched the series.

Comment by Sivat – August 4, 2011 03:19 PM PDT
          • Erm, Davis aparently has, more recently, said that he regrets writing the clone Dr and Rose kissing etc…

Comment by Lee – October 12, 2011 06:56 AM PDT
      • moffat will not bring rose back so yeah disipointing but as long as tates up for it its a shame we wont be seeing slaten she would have denently done it and moffat would be a idiot to say know but she wont be abil to say yes r.i.p shel allways be the best donnas 2nd and allthou cts moved on shel probibly make this an eception

Comment by peter – October 23, 2011 02:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • NO more rose please!
        I breathed a sigh of relief when Rose did her last bit.
        Was good back in the early episodes but it got TOO much like a soap.
        Rose, Roses mum, Roses dad, Roses ex boy friend and probably their dog too where involved. Then we had Donna, Donna’s parents etc
        Granddad was fun but it all was too much like Eastenders.
        NOT Dr Who.

Comment by Richard Denning – November 23, 2011 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s sad.

Comment by Just sayin' – August 3, 2011 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is exactly what I was going to post! I just want 10 II and Rose to be happy in Pete’s World. Or to see Rose and 9 reunited. That might be fun to see.

Comment by Erin – August 3, 2011 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Me too! I was a big fan of Rose and the Doctor as a couple. It would be fun to see what they’ve been up to in Pete’s World…perhaps running a branch of Torchwood?

Comment by Sivat – August 3, 2011 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • this is the last thing I want to see.

Comment by Sara – August 3, 2011 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. I feel like rose’s send off was kind of like closure and I’d hate to see that ruined just to have them in another episode

Comment by jenna – August 3, 2011 05:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Wow, are you two even with it? They made the half-human duplicate Doctor so Tennant could reprise the role one day. And the 50th anniversary seems like the perfect opportunity to do so.

Comment by Sivat – August 3, 2011 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I LOVE this idea…. It would be amazing to see what TENII & Rose have been up to. Maybe something happens, where they feel they need to send a message to 11… who knows??? I don’t care how… it would just be wonderful to see what has come of the life they were allowed to build together (running Torchwood, doing their own thing, whatever). Would just LOVE to see at least a small glimpse of what they’re up to now. Their partnership (Nine & Ten with Rose) was a BIG part of why I love Doctor Who (not the only part, but, a BIG one). It was so fun, sweet, exciting, silly & heartbreaking (at times)… but, overall, beautiful.

Comment by RoxanneT – August 21, 2012 09:08 AM PDT
      • I agree. I always disliked the Rose/Ten romance, or any Doctor/Human romance in the fandom. I think as “lowly humans,” we admire someone like the doctor because he’s smart and brave and so brilliant like the sun that we just can’t look away from, but we LOVE him because he feels loss and pain like us. I think he loves all him companions, just like he loves the human race, but for him, it’s a strictly “look but don’t touch” policy.

Comment by dw – August 4, 2011 05:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Eww, yuck! You just don’t get it do you?

The Doctor was in love with Rose and she was the first companion he was ever truly in love with. I have always ‘shipped for them as a couple and always will.

Comment by Sivat – August 4, 2011 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • A+ for ignoring anyone else who doesn’t agree with you. This entire comment section is filled with you calling other people names. Bravo!
            =
            You can “ship” whomever you want. But I personally did not enjoy the return of Rose over and over again during RTD’s tenure. I did like the Rose and 9 stories, but by halfway through 10, they were really cramming that love story down our throats and I rebelled. I would say Donna and CJ are my fav. 10 companions.
            =
            P.S. Watch some classic who. I doubt Rose was the first companion the doctor has ever loved. And I’m sure she won’t be the last. That’s what I love about the show.

Comment by sara – August 4, 2011 09:41 AM PDT
          • I have watched classic Who, you skank, and Rose is the only one the Doctor has been in love with. You even admit to “rebelling”. I can’t stand haters like you and if I knew you in real life, I would have punched you in the mouth a long time ago.

Comment by Sivat – August 4, 2011 03:11 PM PDT
      • Sara, you are a disgusting piece of trash. I hope you choke on your own geekdom.

Comment by Sivat – August 4, 2011 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • wow anger issues much? I hope you do realize that this is just tv ie. people are allowed to have their OWN opinions

Comment by kim – August 6, 2011 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i totally agree they shpuld come back married and she tells the doctor she is expecting with 10.5 would make my day

Comment by marie – August 3, 2011 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Mine too! I would love to see it happen—Rose and the half-human Doctor can save the Time Lords by creating a new hybrid race on Pete’s World!

Billie Piper and David Tennant had such awesome chemistry. I love them together!

Comment by Sivat – August 4, 2011 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would love to see Rose and 10.1 come back. I wonder what Rose would think of the new Doctor? And what 10.1 would think of 11?

Comment by maggie – August 4, 2011 12:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too!

Comment by Amber – August 4, 2011 08:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Rose fans, we need to team up and SQUASH the haters! It’s like dealing with an infestation of bugs—we’ve gotta take ‘em out before it gets worse. Ugh! Rose haters make me SICK!!!!!

Comment by Sivat – August 4, 2011 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Good, Sivat, go puke somewhere because I’m a Rose-hater, too. I wouldn’t have minded her so much if RTD hadn’t tried to jam her down my throat after she was gone.

Comment by Marion – October 1, 2011 09:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’m with you ;-)

Comment by Emilly – August 13, 2012 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Peter Davison! Not Davidson.

Comment by Cameron – August 3, 2011 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you!! That irked me so much, especially since he actually reprised his role a few years ago… granted it was the special for Children in Need, but still!

Comment by Mary – August 3, 2011 08:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Are people STILL making this mistake?!? Wow…I thought for sure everyone had moved on to referring to the Ninth Doctor as “Ecclestone” by now…!

Comment by I_Captain Blanco – August 4, 2011 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s a good one, but one of my old workmates used to call him Geoffrey Eccleston constantly. I even corrected him a few times, but he would forget and return to ‘Geoffrey’.

Comment by Duffman – August 6, 2011 09:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 5th dr was the best IMHO

Comment by Richard Denning – November 23, 2011 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Get some of the companions back, Katy Manning, Janet Fielding, Sarah Sutton especially. I had this theory that when Victoria Waterfield (2nd Doctor, 1966, came from Victorian times) left the TARDIS, she eventually met and married the descendant of another Companion, Jamie McCrimmon (who came from the 1700′s). Let’s see them in 2013.
    And…maybe Ian Chesterton is still alive.

Comment by David Mello – August 3, 2011 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i would love to see janet feilding back as tegan jovanka

Comment by dj.s – August 7, 2011 05:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, he is. As if Barbara. It was mention in The Sarah Jane Aventures (Death of the Doctor) that Ian and Barbara were married and they aged slowly due to travelling in the TARDIS. Apparently it only affected them. Why? I have no idea. :)

Comment by Tegan – July 28, 2012 06:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring back The Ten!

Comment by Scott Davidson – August 3, 2011 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know it’s not exactly a loooong time ago, but bring back Doctor Donna . . . or at least Donna. Just as long as they don’t reveal that she’s River’s daughter!

Comment by DD – August 3, 2011 06:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would also like to see Donna back. Really enjoyed her and 10 together and would LOVE to see her reaction to 11! :D “River’s daughter??” is there rumor brewing? lol

Comment by Sara – August 4, 2011 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A hanging thread I’d love to see pulled is the Doctor’s daughter, a character originally written to die but revived due a suggestion from Moffat. The web of connections between Doctor 5, Doctor 10, Jenny, Peter Davison, David Tennant and Georgia Moffett and, perhaps by 2013, a Tennant-Moffett could offer a feast of inside jokes for the long-time fan.

Comment by David – August 3, 2011 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yea that would be fun! I really liked Jenny, and the fact Georgia is with David (weirded me out at first) amuses the hell out of me. That kid’s grandfather and father have played the doctor, I think his job is pre-destined! :D

Comment by dw – August 4, 2011 05:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d love to see them bring back Jenny. I always thought that was a hanging thread that they’d pick up sometime.

Comment by Amber – August 4, 2011 08:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s so sad that this celebration will not include my beloved companion, Sarah Jane. RIP Elisabeth Sladen.

Comment by Mary – August 3, 2011 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with you mary no special would be the same without sarah jane. as for rose I got sick of her, I liked martha better.

Comment by nate – August 3, 2011 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ditto! would have loved to see Sarah Jane with 11! RIP

Comment by sara – August 4, 2011 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ewww, a Rose hater! Someone get the bug spray and take out this gnat!

Comment by Sivat – August 4, 2011 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Sivat… People have differing opinions of companions… I don’t see the need to act immaturely when this occurs. People will choose other companions over Rose, or Rose over other companions. There’s no reason to act as if people with differing opinions are pests. Okay, you’re a Rose lover, we can see that, but you don’t have to compare people who aren’t to bugs.

Comment by Bridget – September 4, 2011 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Really, as another Rose fan, I have to take exception to this attitude. We’re all Whovians with different tastes in companions, Doctors, eras, and stories. The wonderful thing about the show is that it has a long and varied enough history to be able to accommodate all of us. Why the hatred for those of differing opinions, and especially why the name-calling?

Comment by Jeffrey – October 30, 2011 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i want essentially one thing from the celebrations: to involve somehow all the available doctors and companions. I’d like to see TARDISes everywhere and references to both the new and old series, with big nods to those who are missing, especially Sarah Jane and Lethbridge-Stewart.

Comment by Polly – August 3, 2011 11:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree Polly. All available Doctors and companions should be included somehow.

Comment by maggie – August 4, 2011 12:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They should include all the remaining living Doctors, and for those that are dead maybe bring in someone like they did in the Five Doctors for William Hartnell. I was thinking Martin Jarvis for Jon Pertwee, but have no ideas for Pat Troughton or William Hartnell.

Comment by Duffman – August 6, 2011 09:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well for Bill Hartnell I was thinking Julian Richlings. He played Death in Supernatural and he looks very uncanny to William Hartnell & has a simmiler personality. As For Pat Troughton, I was thinking one of his sons could play him. I have an Epic Serial in mind something like what if all 11 doctors came together to maybe fight off the silence. I do have an idea at the end of the serial 11 is strike down and regenerates into his twelfth incarnation, maybe a Female version, I mean with progression that would make total sense & would be a nice change. (now before all of you revert to your immature forms of complaining just here me out, 9 was a pissed off emo no nonsense alien. 10 was more accepting still it will be there in his whole life. Just a lingering regret, but he came to acceptance. 11 is just a Man Gone Mad with nothing to lose but so much to gain. A Woman can give rebirth, a motherly and strong perspective. its good progress and 13 can be I don’t know, an american actor with great respect for the role. and yes folks It can be done. it can be done so well. )

Comment by The_American_Doctor – September 27, 2011 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • If they bring back the first they need to find a way to bring back Susan.

Comment by Amanda – June 26, 2012 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The problem with the Doctor regenerating into a woman is that the whole point of the show is that he’s a madman in a box. A madwoman in a box just wouldn’t be the same. As for the American idea, I think an American companion (like Captain Jack, but more long-term) would be awesome. To make the Doctor American, though, would make the show feel decidedly less British, which, again, is one of the points of the show. I’m an American, and to me, an American Doctor would not feel like the Doctor. I would like to see a ginger Doctor, however. :D

Comment by Knutt – August 26, 2012 10:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • He did mention wanting to come back as a Ginger. Anyone remember that?

Comment by Sunny – December 30, 2012 09:28 PM PDT
      • Or just get Sean Pertwee

Comment by Amanda – June 26, 2012 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What would be really awesome about the 50th anniversary would be to make a special effort to include Paul McGann’s 8th Doctor who only made the single appearance in that film. If the audiobooks are to be believed, the 8th Doctor was pivotal in many stories most notably the Time War and it’s disappointing that he’s barely an afterthought.

So a nice big 8th Doctor/Paul McGann arc please Steven Moffat!

Comment by Scott – August 4, 2011 03:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @Scott – So much this. McGann’s Doctor appearing is the one thing I want to see.

Comment by znachki – August 4, 2011 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Here here! Paul McGann was a great doctor and needs more inclusion in story arcs!

Comment by Lilac – November 29, 2011 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really don’t want to see Rose brought back YET AGAIN. And thankfully with Moffat at the helm, it’s far less likely.

I have a lot of respect for RTD, but his obsession with bringing Rose back (even more Mary-Sueish each time she returned) was one of his eras greatest weaknesses.

If they have EQUAL appearances for Martha, Donna, Mickey, Jack, Wilf and other past companions, I wouldn’t mind seeing Rose’s face again. But if I have to hear the Doctor telling everyone how Rose was so “special” one more time, it would really kill the buzz of any 50th anniversary special for me.

And I find it laughable that a comment gets labelled as a “troll” because it’s not supporting the idea of Rose and the her hybrid “consolation prize” returning. I’ve been a fan of “Doctor Who” for most of my life and it’s just about the very last thing that I want to see in either.

Comment by Derry – August 4, 2011 05:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. My enjoyment of Rose as a companion during 9′s stories were pretty much destroyed as each Rose and 10 adventures came and went. I thought their goodbye at the end of series was incredibly sad but oh so human. It was gorgeously written and I could feel 10′s pain as he had to go on through series 3 and 4, especially when he had to say adieu to another woman he loved during the Human Nature/Family of Blood arc. But RTD brought Rose back and it was just bizarre. I even felt sorry for Human!10 because wow, he would never measure up to the Doctor!10 Rose loved. It was just overall weird and unsatisfying.

Comment by sara – August 4, 2011 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Sara, you’re an idiot. The half-human Doctor is the Doctor Rose needed. This was clear when the half-human Doctor told Rose he loved her when the Time Lord Doctor refused to say it, and then they kissed. The full Time Lord Tenth Doctor gave the half-human Doctor to Rose as a gift.

Comment by Sivat – August 4, 2011 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Sivat, I only ship the Doctor with the Master, because of their on-screen chemistry. When the Doctor held the Master, I felt it deep in my soul, because it was so beautiful. That part as so meaningful and I cried. It was so romantic! Doctor/Master is practically canon. It’s a needed pair and I hope that Moffat brings it back. Hopefully one of them will regenerate into a woman, but that’s not needed.

Comment by Vivi – October 24, 2011 08:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You are disgusting, Rose hater. Rose is the only reason I like Doctor Who. I no longer watch the show under Moffatt because he does not get the character and does not write an entertaining show. Derry, you are despicable and karma will come for you one day.

Comment by Sivat – August 4, 2011 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Donna is better

Comment by peter – October 23, 2011 02:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SO FREAKIN’ EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ~~~
    I want to see past docs coming back, esp 9th and 10th. Also, Jack and Donna (my favorite New Who companions besides 11th’s). But either way, I TOTALLY trust the Moff and can’t wait to see what he has in store for us!!!

Comment by Mars – August 4, 2011 05:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You like Amy and Rory? WHY? I am not going to watch a Doctor Who where he travels with a married couple. I liked the romantic chemistry between Amy and 11 last season and was disappointed she married that loser Rory.

And don’t even get me started on how awful Donna Noble was.

Comment by Sivat – August 4, 2011 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Dude, seriously. You need to stop attacking anyone who says they like other companions besides Rose. It’s obvious that you watched Doctor Who for the romantic tension, but some people watch it for other reasons, and they enjoy it.

Sivat aside, I would like to see some of the older Doctors return for an episode, and I think it would regenerate some more interest in OldWho again.

Comment by Sophos – August 4, 2011 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Sivat – seriously CALM DOWN! It is ONLY a TV SHOW! turn off the hate and realise people are here because they love Doctor Who – maybe for different reasons than you – but we all love the show.

We get you are a Rose fan and you enjoyed the interaction. You don’t have to jump on everyone who likes other people in the show.

If you love the relationship so much – that’s what fan fic is for. Go read some and remember the old saying “If you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all”.

I would love to see some of the older Doctors and companions…take me back to my childhood….and it would be a wonderful acknowledgement of the long history of the show.

Comment by esther – August 4, 2011 11:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • your realy pushing it now donas my favriot living companion and 2nd favriot ever if you dont like her thats fine but your realy putting me off rose she waqs a good companion but any more of this eww rose hater stuff im going to be sick your intitled not to like dona but just because thats what you think DON’T rubbish other peoples opinions if someone likes Amy more than rose theres nothing wrong with that i dont like amyu much doctor who in my opinion is to much about her but that doesent make people like that insects and people who dont like rose nats ok.

Comment by peter – October 23, 2011 02:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I love, love, love Rose too Sivat, but Donna was really great and I absolutely love Rory too. If you miss Rose/Doctor so much read some fanfiction. Be careful though. A lot of it has adult themes and I don’t think you are a day over 10. At least that is how you act.

Comment by Trish – November 8, 2011 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • you are on my tardis wave link man i agree with everything you said go dr who and especially david tennant he is my idol god

Comment by djed dr who fernatic – December 29, 2011 06:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Somehow, they must bring back Tom Baker.

Comment by DAK – August 4, 2011 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES! Someone above wrote bring back all the available docs and companions. I don’t think that would be possible to coordinate everyone’s schedules (although it would be pretty cool), but I’ll be pretty damn happy with just Tom Baker!

Comment by sara – August 4, 2011 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I know right! That would be brilliant! I’ve only just started waching Classic Who, but the episodes I have watched are amazing! Shame we cant have William Hartneell, Patrick Troughton, or Jon Pertwee return though. :(

And to all these Rose lovers out there, I really liked Rose, but I must admit RTD seemed to bring her back a hell of a lot. In fact, thinking about it, all of RTD series’ seemed to be about her. Series 1 & 2 she was companion, Series 3 was full of the Doctor telling Martha about Rose and how she was better than Martha at everything, and Series 4 the whole series was full of the references to her, finally resulting in her coming back.

Please don’t get me wrong, I do like Rose and I adore9 and Rose together, but there are millions of other companions out there who could come back too.

Comment by Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey – August 5, 2011 12:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • David Tennant had his turn, fans are left with 3 excellent series plus a bunch of specials, and appeared in some of the finest Doctor Who episodes ever written, with 3 good companions. He lasted longer than many other Doctors – Ecclestone, McGann, Davison, Colin Baker, McCoy…

He’s had his turn. Be thankful that you’ve still got those episodes to watch and please accept that the role has been passed yet again (as it always has done and always will do), to another fine actor with some excellent stories and two (or three with River) excellent companions. Hearing people bang on about about how they want Tennant and Rose/Martha/Donna/Sally Sparrow back all the time is getting rather annoying – let it lie and enjoy the new episodes – they’re brilliant – or be forever miserable hoping for something that probably won’t happen (and IF Tennant comes back at all, it would probably be for a single episode at most).

Comment by Adric – August 5, 2011 01:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Sara, I hope you are unable to have children. You are a really sickening, hateful person. FOAD.” Pot, kettle, black much?

I have to ask Sivat, would you mate with a monkey? ‘Cause the Doctor was another species similar to humans after all. For all we know he could have five penises. The Rose/Doctor story was going to be fleshed out into a spin-off but thankfully RTD himself vetoed it. It went too far and he was right to write her out. It was a lovely touch, though a bit wrong in my eyes but there was nothing more to be done with it.

RTD is a good writer but he is not a good sci-fi writer. The show became unbelievably camp under him and he introduced new lore which he promptly forgot about (for example the Reapers coming to “heal” time… Notice they were somewhat absent when the Doctor interfered with time saving Adelaide etc). The Doctor became too human for my liking too. Tennant was good but too human. The detached, childlike Doctor who is constantly fascinated by the universe he left his people to explore is much more in keeping with the Doctor. He has his darker moments etc and as a result he reminds me of the iconic Tom Baker. Moffat’s done good in that respect but he has become too fond of the impossible deus ex machina, for example how did the time loop in the finale of Series 5 begin? Too much of a cop out and lazy writing.

And it’s all very well saying bring back Baker and everyone but they’re older now and I don’t think we can expand the “alternate timeline” thing to cover several older Doctors (Eccleston/Tennant excepted). Perhaps we’re going for the Rani return, he has teased and he knows the fans obsession with jumping on that bandwagon trying to explain stuff =P. And if the Rani comes back why not the other exiled Time Lords. Romana could still be lurking after being kicked out of the presidency by Rassilon? Who knows…?

Comment by Phill – August 5, 2011 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Everyone! Lets stop with the companion hate! I understand you all love Rose, but she’s not the only companion he has ever loved. In my opinion, he loves all of the equally. Maybe even Rose a bit more. But she isn’t the first person he’s ever loved. He had a mate a long time ago. He had a daughter, and obviously a granddaughter! (Susan.) I like Rose alot, more with Eccleston, but still, she was a great companion. And Amy and Rory are quite fun for characters. (and they’re not the first couple to travel in the TARDIS. Or maybe they are. My mind is running blank at the moment, my old!Who memory isn’t working well right now) and they won’t be the last. The good thing about companions is that we eventually get new ones. That’s what makes the show so special, and makes it last so long (48 years or so… ;D) Lets all hold hands and eat Dalek cake.

Comment by Holly – August 6, 2011 02:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I happened on on this site from IMDb while ” researching” Doctor Who. I live in NJ,USA and I’ve been turned on to The Doctor for the first time!!! My limited cable channels didn’t get it and I was able to see it a few weeks ago via the Internet. OMG I LOVE IT!!! I also got to see episode 103 ( I think) of TORCHWOOD for free ( unless I subscribe to Starz for $10 a month I won’t be able to see Amy of the new TORCHWOOD’s. I subscribed to NetFlix and have access to ALL of the old DOCTORS and TORCHWOOD’S !!! I LOVE THEM ALL and have been watching only those two shows for the past two weeks. You guys are sooo lucky! LoL- I’m 57 years old and ‘ lost my cherry’ to THE DOCTORS!!! AWESOME SHOWS!!!:D

Comment by Deborah – August 7, 2011 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m hoping that the series can leave off by 2013 at a neutral point, with all story arcs settled, and we can get a 2-hour special staring Paul McGann’s doctor regarding the TIme War and all that transpired.
    I’m also hoping that the last doctor is missing a hand, and needs to have a prosthetic/wooden/hook sort of thing going on, as Tennant’s incarnation ‘stole’ that hand from the future one upon regenerating it. That would be a fun added character quirk to incorporate.

Comment by John Quirk – August 16, 2011 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I must admit I always thought the Rose Tyler storyline was pretty unbelievable. The fact that the Doctor would fall in love with someone like that when (lets be honest, if he was going to do such a thing there were many better candidates from his first 26 years – and most of them infinitely less annoying than Rose was.)and much though I disliked the McGann TV Movie (not McGann though he was great) – I think the Doctor would be far more likely to fall for someone like Grace than Rose anyday. And lets be honest both Sarah Jane Smith and Jo Grant knock Rose into a cocked hat.

I think the real reason this Doctor/Rose storyline was introduced was that Russel T. Davies realised that in order to get modern viewers interested in the show again there needed to be a romantic subplot. Now that it isn’t really necessary – because people like the show for what it is – I doubt we’ll ever see that level in it again.

If Rose does come back I would like it to be without Tennant’s Doctor just to see how the chemistry between her and Matt Smith would be so different (and not as romantic.)

Comment by Andrew Cloke – September 2, 2011 06:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am deeply disappointed by this new WHO and its not the actors fault. its the direction the show has taken, being totally offroad in their own little flatly lit world. The writing has been repetative, incoherant and unrewarding. all the humour and swashbuckling high energy action of the Davies years are gone. Now we got the dimly lit Doctor and his friends creeping thru haunted houses like Scooby doo. I cant imagine David Tennant and Catherine Tate working in this bleek world. the show also seems to have discarded its history (hence no tie ins with Sarah Jane,Torchwood or former companions)youd think there would be copyright legal issues to work out just to get a guest spot of Rose….again.
    Ive totally jumped over to Torchwood boat. Even though its on STARZ now,the tone and characters are still the same (in fact Gwen is amazing). Till the overall production quality improves i cant see myself investing more time into a show where i can see the ending….um lets see, creepy alien turns out to be misunderstood…

Comment by guy – September 12, 2011 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My personal preferences is for the return of: Rose (and maaaybe even 10.5, but only because I like David Tennant), Donna, Tennant, Eccleston and Paul McGann. As much as I did like other companions (except for one, but that’s a different agenda); if they brought back the the ones I just mentioned – it’d would really make my day.

Comment by nxlee – September 20, 2011 11:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Moff Rules, lol.

Comment by Watsorb – October 7, 2011 02:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can we please stop arguing about the writers? Both writers have their good and their bad, and we’re all entitled to our opinions, but that doesn’t mean we have to argue about it over the Internet. Seriously.

Comment by Ammy17 – October 18, 2011 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Like Christopher, David, and Matt. David made me forget Chris, and Matt made me forget David. Russell a better writer than Steven and show had better production values under Russell. Rory character is unnessesary. Love Karen as Amy.

Comment by David – December 3, 2011 01:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • david is the best dont you think david ( ha ha david david tennant )

Comment by djed dr who fernatic – December 29, 2011 06:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Quote” “Rory character is unnessesary”

Rory is the Xander Harris of Doctor Who. I think that’s why I like him so much.

Comment by WayneInNYC – December 24, 2011 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • please steven can you beg david tennant to come back for the anniversery he is everyones god

Comment by djed dr who fernatic – December 29, 2011 06:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so excited for the 50th special! I think the very fact that there is a human(10) out there makes it absolutely nessecary for David Tennant to come back! So then ofcourse I would really like to see him and rose together and to see how they react to the new Doctor! I think it would a fun experience for the doctor to get to work with his past/human self. I would also love for Donna to be able to be in it somehow ( I loved her season) Cpt. Jack Harkness should get to come back, he is just too awesome to be left out of the anniversary!! It’s too bad about Sara Jane but maybe her son and k-9 could still be in it. But all in all no matter who’s in it, it will be amazing!!

Comment by Markie – May 2, 2012 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You know what would be the best for the 50th aniversary. A movie on the Time War. When you think about it, the Time War is the missing link between the classic series and the new series. It would also answer a few question, like how the 8th doctor regenerated into the 9th. Personally, i believe that BBC should explain how the Time War affect the Doctor and show us why he is the way he is in the new series. It would be a HUGE event and one that could only be desplayed in a movie.

Not to mention the fact that with todays special effects, I’m sure they would just blow everything out of the water. :P

Comment by Tegan – July 28, 2012 06:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That. Would. Be. Awesome! Except I’m not sure I trust Moffat to write the Time War. I’m one of the Davies fans who thinks Moffat did good on individual episodes, but not as a showrunner. I find his overarching plots to be a little too confusing. I’m a stickler for continuity, which is probably the main reason I don’t like what he’s done with the show now.
      Take the Weeping Angels, for instance. I’m probably in the minority, but I actually did not like the way he brought them back in season 5. He got so caught up with the new twist on his amazing villains that he neglected the basics. An entire army of Weeping Angels, and not a single one is covering its eyes? I think the only time you saw one with its eyes covered was the original one in the hold of the ship. Half of them should not have been able to move.
      Likewise, I’d be afraid he’d do the same thing to the Time War. I love the way Davies depicted it. It was so epic and so tragic, and yet the only glimpse you got was a devastated Gallifrey. It was so complex and yet so simple. While Moffat could definitely pull off the complex part, I fear that the simple tragedy of the Doctor’s choice could be lost in the shuffle.

Comment by Knutt – August 26, 2012 10:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love TenII for the simple reason that they can bring back David Tennant without having to worry about all the timey-wimey whatchamacallit that comes with the Doctor running into past regenerations of himself. Having Ten and Eleven side by side would be so awesome.
    Rose was my favorite companion, so I’d also like to see her come back, but only on the side, as a sort of cameo. I completely understand those who didn’t like her. While I enjoyed the shippy aspects of season 2, if you didn’t like Rose already, it could get old pretty fast. All I want is a glimpse, just a glimpse, of her happy with TenII. Nothing overly shippy or googly-eyed, not even another kiss. Just them happy together, like she used to be with Nine. The Doctor and Rose Tyler working with the Doctor and his current companion.
    Although it wouldn’t hurt if they finally got to grow their own TARDIS, because the Doctor without a TARDIS is just sad, even if he is half human. :P

Comment by Knutt – August 26, 2012 10:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Timelords and love…whatever. I’m over the string of love affairs. The writing has shifted over the years storylines have at times been wonky. I hope for this anniversary season we get more past regeneration cameos but no cheesy direct dr on dr interactions…maybe some interactions with old series foes ..a young davros…or master…explorations of old storylines…dead civilizations in their golden age…all good fun…no more weeping angels…no more human companions (unless its a guy in love with an alien companion)…this series is overdue for a regeneration and a more nostalgic refresh.

Comment by eldoctorwhovianist – October 15, 2012 11:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ahh, I just hate this waiting! Waiting for something new. So give me something worth waiting for Moffat! I have fallen head over heels in love with this show. I’m not stupid or niave enough to think this will end the name calling and bickering, but I’ll put in my two cents anyways:

I think the beauty of it is the fact that there is such a variety of dynamic companions each with unique situations and all of them with their own personal relationship with the doctor. And we have had the opportunity, as viewers, to watch each and every one of them blossom, develope, and unfold. I don’t like thinking that he loved them all equally or all in the same ways. Probably because, as any fan does, I have my favorites. It’s hard for me to believe (as much as I don’t want to believe) that Martha meant much to him compared to Rose, or little Amelia, or Donna. His lover, his family, and his best friend. But those are the characters that spoke to ME. These are the personalities that I can relate with and enjoy. I think that is one of the best qualities in the doctor. He’s a sucker for these soft, fragile human beings.

On a completely different note, I’m extremely surprised the lack of River’s name/character being thrown around in these comments. She is now the doctors wife. We know how much she means to him because of how we’re introduced to her. I’m still very skeptical with this storyline, especially with how quickly and thoughtlessly he married her, however, am very curious -and excited- to see where it goes… Whether I like it or not though, she is the new “big thing” in his life. More so permanent than any companion I have seen yet.

Onto the Rose issue….here goes…
    Let me first say, I do love Rose. I love her and the doctor, I love the way he has moments of what seems like true happiness with her and if just for a moment, we can see a glimpse into what a carefree doctor would be like. My heart split in two at Journey’s End. It was perfectly and beautifully emotional. I like the fact that we were left with the feeling that she wasn’t JUST another companion or would easily be forgotten to the doctor. THIS IS MY FEELINGS TOWARDS THE MATTER. Just wanna make that clear…
    I would be lying if I said my stomach didn’t ache every time I thought of Rose the next two seasons, all alone in a separate reality. I thought bringing in a doctor 10.5 was a bit far fetched and ridiculous – but hey, it’s sy-fi that I’m choosing to watch here. But when 10 gave Rose 10.5 as a gift – the only way he could be with her – I finally felt closure.
    That being said I can see where this storyline can be far more than wearisome at this point – especially if you weren’t a fan of it from the beginning!! But hopefully we get one more something from Rose and 10′s life – maybe a letter with pictures. Short and sweet, Rose updating The doctor with pictures of a somewhat version of his child/children. Humor us, Rose haters, please. Just a 4 minute little part to ease our minds…

Am I the only one that is waiting for 11 (with his new face) to find Donna on the street, look into her eyes and just say “I’m sorry” or give her a hug… The stalking her wedding from afar didn’t do it for me… Again just a small part…

What I have accepted about this exquisite show, is that it is forever changing. Amy Pond’s time was a great era as well! A time of some roots for the doctor, and some family values. How long do you think the doctor has felt part of a family? I do like the “madman with a box” personality. It fits who the doctor is suppose to be. Just as well as 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 did. You don’t like Smith’s interpretation of the character ? Well guess what, you have to look forward to the next regeneration. It always happens – just takes time.
    What I can agree with is that there does need to be a more solid line from 11 and his world to all the previous doctors. 10 seemed to carry all the weight of the man 9 was. Part of that smooth carry over has to do with being with the same companion before and after. But either way it is a bit strange that 11 seems to have no attachments to his bodies before – a fresh start really. I don’t know who said the TARDIS looked like a Fischer Price toy but the budget went up and they had money to revamp – I thought it looked magnificent!

Oh my doctor, my doctor. Can we all agree to love what the man stands for, what this show has represented in all it’s years, and be appreciative of whatever masterpiece is sure to come from the writers? Because we rather have that to hold onto than nothing at all. The doctor who title has not been passed into incompetent hands, respect the creativity and appreciate the fact that this show allows so many different directions to be taken – and with different writers, we have a chance to sample so many of them!

Comment by karliebug – November 8, 2012 12:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh and I would like to see the companions interact with each other on screen if they all come together anyways. I think it would be humorous and heartfelt!! (Like Martha: “Oh my God, he found you!” *Cheeks hurting from smiling so big, eyes stinging from crying so hard*)

And sorry for any/all grammatical and/or spelling mistakes. I’m on a small touch keypad writing fairly quickly so I can go to bed with a clear mind… I would love to hear others responses and feedback to my comment. Goodnight!

Comment by karliebug – November 8, 2012 12:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nobody’s telling Rose should be the main lead of the episode(s). Just saying that one glimpse, one tiny little glimpse everyone deserves to know. I feel if the fans and such alike saw the life that Rose had been expecting and wanting since Series 2, it would be *the* perfect closure. This is also another great reason we can see Tennant come back, I would just really want to know how they are, I want to know about their lives together, the one adventure the Doctor could never have.

And I think it would also be closure for the Eleventh Doctor to learn that, he would be very pleased and happy and honestly that’s one thing I wish that I saw in DW. The continuity that seemed to disappear.

Comment by Tawi – December 20, 2012 05:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would just LOVE for Rose to come back.. yet I don’t cause Moffat ‘hates’ Rose, for some very odd reason. He might screw up her character or make a huge conflict between her and River (whom I greatly detest and not because I’m a Rose fan. Every time I see River I flinch. She’s always running after the doctor like “LET ME LOVE YOU!”) But the thing is… the clone doctor would be dead. A time lord and a human can not be combined so he should be dead!

Comment by Ruth – December 23, 2012 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i like doctor who so much i am biggest fans in the world you bast so special that i what to say thing

Comment by annmarie white – December 30, 2012 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring back Tegan. There hasn’t been a worthwhile companion since her

Comment by Juicy – May 4, 2013 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what about the doctors daughter,
    we only seen her once!!!

Comment by Kyle – September 27, 2013 07:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post