MTV News: Beavis and Butt-Head Bite Twilight, Daria Return Talk, Mila's Good Vibes, and More

Get More: News, Scoop, TCA Press Tour

You can’t keep Beavis and Butt-Head down. The original bad boys return to MTV Oct. 27 with brand new episodes that attack everything from the vampire craze to Jersey Shore. Series creator Mike Judge and MTV Networks exec Van Toffler were on hand at the Television Critics Association press tour in Beverly Hills on Friday to talk about why now was the right time to bring the back the show and another MTV favorite that you might see again. Also coming from Camp MTV: Renewal news, and a Good gig for hot property Mila Kunis.

Bad Boys, Bad Boys… Whatcha Gonna Do? | Beavis and Butt-Head will “try not to talk about how long it’s been” since the original series aired, said Judge, but it will take on current topics. The trailer features the lads confused by girls’ obsession with vampires and werewolves. They then ask a homeless man they believe to be a werewolf to bite them and instead contract Hepatitis C. Yes, getting girls is still the topic du jour on the guys’ brains. But to date, “They have not scored,” said Judge.

Video: Beavis and Butt-Head Take on Jersey Shore

Even MTV’s own shows, Jersey Shore, 16 and Pregnant and Teen Mom, won’t be safe from Beavis and Butt-Head’s barbed banter. For example, after viewing Snooki’s hook-up chart, the guys observe that if they followed the dotted lines, they “could find out where herpes began.” Such jokes required Judge to watch a lot of Jersey Shore, to the point that he now considers himself “hooked.” Is MTV’s Toffler concerned that his stars will be up in arms over Beavis and Butt-Head’s less-than-nice comments? “I’m just elated that you called them stars,” Toffler told one reporter. “I’m sure the Jersey Shore cast will be calling in a couple weeks. But we’re happy they’re making fun of everybody.” Also getting in on the jokes: UFC fights, music videos from MGMT, Dead Mouse and hopefully Lady Gaga, tech support, Internet videos, and movies.

MTV’s Teen Wolf Scares Up a Season 3 Renewal

The return of the series is the result of Judge and Toffler discussing doing a movie, but opting for a TV comeback instead. “I thought, ‘Who am I to turn this down?’” says Judge. “It just felt right.” Is there hope for Daria fans if Beavis and Butt-Head is successful? “Daria still airs on MTV2 and Logo,” said Toffler, “and it’s doing quite well on both. So there’s not as long a shot as you would think that Daria would be back on one of our channels.” Rejoice!

As for the ever-vocal conservative watchdogs targeting him and his boys again, “Look what they got on,” he said, alluding to MTV’s skimpy, scandalous lineup. “They’ve probably got bigger fish to fry these days.”

MTV Renews America’s Best Dance Crew

More MTV News | MTV has greenlit production on a pilot from the creator of the recently debuted Awkward. Titled Dumb Girls, it’s a 20something series that asks, “Why are so many of us so smart in our lives, but so dumb when it comes to the pursuit of the opposite sex?”…. Mila Kunis will play herself in an episode of the animated Good Vibes. The set-up: When one of the characters rescues the actress from paparazzi, so she goes to the prom with him…. MTV has picked up Fantasy Factor, its reality show featuring pro-skater Rob Drydek, for a fifth season.

Comments (10)

• Oh, man, I loved “Daria”. And even now in my 30s, I’d watch (or at least try out) a reboot. That said, B&B and its smart spinoff were different in that Daria had its timeline actually progress. So I cannot imagine how that would be handled save for the first series being ignored entirely which, to quote B&B, would “suck”.

Not to mention some of the voice actors are likely not available for a reboot, one coming to mind being Sarah Drew, now on “Grey’s Anatomy” (she voiced Stacey Rowe!).

Comment by Wendy – July 29, 2011 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just finished season 1 of Daria. Can anyone tell me why it airs on Logo, or would that be too much of a spoiler?

Comment by Sam – July 29, 2011 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Because I think MTV and Logo are both owned by Viacom.

And then there is that subset of fans – of which I’m not one – who shipped Jane/Daria, so…

Comment by Wendy – July 29, 2011 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I thought Daria might have turned out to be gay. Which, you know, would not be the most shocking thing in the world.

Comment by Sam – July 29, 2011 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I adore Daria and grew up with it. A reboot could be fun but I’m not so sure that it should happen. A huge focus with the television show was the entire 90′s decade. The rebellious, grungy cynical nerosis just would not work with the new generation and the time we are living now. I love it still but the decade change just wouldn’t make the show even close to the same enough to be able to continue and grow large like it was. It could still be marvelous but it would have to be too different.

Comment by DMH – July 29, 2011 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A Daria reboot would be great, but much in he vein of what DMH said, the characters – Daria and perhaps Jane as well – would have to be very different from who they were in the original to work today.

Comment by Summer – July 29, 2011 09:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why can’t it work? You still have shows like The Simpsons, Southpark, Futurama out there and now B&B are returning. IF B&B can work then Daria could. I’ll take it cause I loved that show on MTV!! Also Sarah from GA could do both shows I’m sure..

Comment by s – July 29, 2011 11:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PLEASE. Daria defined my childhood. I love that show.

Comment by Steven – July 30, 2011 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am very much ecstatic that Beavis & Butt-Head are finally back. It remains my absolute favorite television program of all-time, and I can’t think of a much better year for television comedy than this upcoming television season. Great stuff.

Comment by DennysFishTacos – July 30, 2011 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So will B & B still be in high-school? They graduated in the last episode of the original series.

Comment by Ross Dudle – July 30, 2011 09:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post