Chuck Scoop: Carrie-Anne Moss To Recur as Casey's Romantic Foil

Things are looking up for one John Casey.

Matrix stunner Carrie-Anne Moss is joining Chuck‘s final season as a love interest/foil for Adam Baldwin’s lovelorn spy, sources confirm to TVLine.

Chuck Exclusive: Craig Kilborn Spies Villainous Season Premiere Guest Spot

Her character, Gertrude Verbanski, is a former spy who now runs Verbanski Corp. — the chief rival of Chuck and Sarah’s new company. She’s ruthless and deadly, yet she also has a weak spot for Casey, her old rival. The character was described in one casting breakdown as, “Miranda Priestly meets Lara Croft, with a rather wicked sense of humor.”

News of Gertrude’s imminent arrival leaked out at Comic-Con last weekend, prompting Baldwin to declare, “Casey has either met his match, or his love match.”

Chuck Scoop: Team Bartowski Versus Luke Skywalker!

Moss most recently headlined Lifetime’s drama pilot Normal, about a famous New York shrink who leaves her private practice to take a job at a teaching hospital. The project was not picked up to series, thereby freeing Moss up to take the Chuck gig.

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Fall TV Preview, News, Scoop, Spoilers

1. 8daysaweek says:

Can’t wait. The Casey-centric episodes have always been some of my favorites.

2. Jem says:

This is fantastic news. I love her, loved the Matrix and is in my opinion one of Chuck’s finest casting scoops. (Next to Linda Hamilton as Chuck’s mom). Well done TPTB, well done.

3. Michael says:

Even in its last season, Chuck continues with its great casting. Can’t wait!

4. xav says:

Awesome! Carrie-Anne is brilliant and deserves lots of work.

5. Kevin says:

Chuck knows KUNG FU! :)

6. Emma says:

Yes! I love this casting. I was actually watching the Matrix as I read this article. Carrie-Anne Moss is awesome.

7. Jenny says:

Wow, those Chuck runners know how to make a nerd happy!!!

8. Mooshki says:

Yay! I’ve been a fan of hers since the Brilliant but Canceled ‘Models Inc.’

9. Ruby says:

Hell. Yes. I have been waiting to see Adam Baldwin make out with someone since My Bodyguard.

10. MonkeyRat says:

Seriously?

Sarah Connor and the T-1000. Sam Beckett. James Bond. Doc Brown. Lana Lang. Superman. Freddy Krueger. River Tam. Number Six. The Juggernaut. Buffy’s Judge. Luke friggin’ Skywalker. And now Trinity?! Be geekier Chuck, I dare you.

God, I’m sooo gonna miss miss this show when it’s gone. I really don’t understand NBC’s choices. It was probably one of the best shows in the last 10 years and actually the last one from their network that I was watching. When Chuck is over, NBC is gonna cry.

• Aiden says:

Agree with everything you just said.
      Nevertheless, I’m determined to enjoy Season 5! It’s shaping up so well. Guest stars? One of the million things CHUCK does right.

• MonkeyRat says:

Totally! I’ll watch that last season religiously and if they build it the same way they did for the first half of season 4 (especially ep 4-13, when they thought it could be the end), I’m sure it will blow it all away :)

• sadtroll says:

LOL, great list MonkeyRat. They really do bring it with the guest stars don’t they.

As for your other comments, I’m actually pretty please with NBC. They’ve done right by this show. Any other net would have cancelled it.

The show will always be a winner in my books as there are just so few like it on tv. Light and fun action comedy is practically extinct.

Viva le Chuck!

11. Mdz says:

That’s just GREAT!!!! Love the idea of Carrie Anne Moss being G. Verbanski..Great Choice…Can’t wait to see her…

12. Tater says:

@MonkeyRat…..You forgot to mention Scott Backula, Clark Griswald, The Hulk…and The Mummy :) The casting has always been fantastic on CHUCK. I still hope then can manage to bring in Lynda Carter, Chuck Norris, Adam West and Micheal J. Fox..before it’s all said and done….I mean really how great would it be to see Marty Mcfly in the Buy More…lol.

13. Tater says:

Yeah mistake on my part….Here’s to hoping for that they find a way to get 100 episodes…It really bugs me that they will get SO CLOSE just to get ended..

14. Tater says:

Yeah mistake on my part….Here’s to hoping for that they find a way to get 100 episodes…It really bugs me that they will get SO CLOSE just to get ended. Or atleast get a Serenity-esque movie out of it..lol.

• Gusar says:

The magic syndication number isn’t 100 anymore. Lately it’s been 88 (four full seasons). With season 5, Chuck will have 91 eps. So it’s good.

15. sadtroll says:

What’s this desire for 100 episodes all about? That number doesn’t do anything extra special for the show’s syndication rights you know. They can still be bought and aired in syndication, probably on SyFy or Spike. Or my Dvd player.

• Dwigt says:

NBC wants a big reboot around the time they broadcast the Superbowl next year. Kabletown, err… Comcast wants to get rid of the lemons left by Jeff Zucker and they can’t magically launch a dozen strong shows this fall.

So, they keep a few beloved but low-rated shows on the air, which gives them one less time slot to take care of up to February. With renewing Chuck for 13 episodes, they keep the fans happy.

But NBC Universal has no good reason for syndication as they don’t produce the show. Warner does and they already offered a big discount last year (which didn’t benefit the SFX or the writing quality…).

16. J.T. says:

Don’t f*ck with Aria!

17. Commander Shepard says:

Do you think they’ll FINALLY make a Mass Effect reference now that they have three of the voice actors on the show?

I still doubt it. I wonder why they flat out refuse to do it.

• sadtroll says:

Funny, I had to think who the third one is before I remembered Adam Baldwin. And his voice in the game sticks out sooooo much!! lol

18. Ali says:

It’s time to “Unleash the Casey,” and let him get his groove on. Hopefully this will be fun and bring back the “Casey: episodes that are always the best. Maybe she’ll clash with Alex and they’ll bicker and drive him nutty. Sounds like good times. Also, I want a Casey/Morgan/Alex spinoff once Chuck goes bye-bye.

19. Sable says:

I suggested a Casey/Morgan spinoff months ago. Those two actors have great comedic timing together. I don’t mind the addition of Alex, and if it’s as good as I think it will be, I’d add Gertrude Verbanski into the mix. I’d put it on ABC so they could do a crossover with Castle. Who would not watch that?

20. sadie says:

Carrie-Anne Moss. I missed her. She brought heroines up to a whole different level of kicking a$$ since Trinity and I’ll always welcome seeing her on the screen. YAY to this news.

21. C f says: