Comic-Con

Chuck @ Comic-Con: Final Season Spies a Break-Up, Big Death, Star Wars Vet, and More

As far as TV shows that descend upon the San Diego Comic-Con go, the “mothership” — NBC’s Chuck — infiltrated Ballroom 20 on Saturday morning, kicking off a jam-packed convention line-up. What did Zachary Levi, Joshua Gomez, Adam Baldwin and the rest have to share about the upcoming final season?

For starters, we must say: May the Force be with you, Team Bartowski, given that Star Wars alum Mark Hamill will guest as a big baddie in the fifth and final season premiere, airing Friday, Oct. 21, at 8/7c. Since portraying Luke Skywalker in the original Star Wars trilogy, Hamill has largely stuck to voice work, lending his pipes to myriad animated projects, including TV’s Spider-Man, Justice League, Avatar: The Last Airbender and Robot Chicken — to name but a smattering. (His full IMDb rez is here.)

Now, For Your Eyes Only, let us hit you with the panel’s other highlights:

“Back to Basics” | Now that Morgan is the acting intersect, Chuck will have to readjust to life as one of us normal folk. “He definitely at the beginning of our season wants those powers, but this season is back-to-basics for Chuck,” says executive producer Chris Fedak. “Chuck has to be far greater now. It’s very much about him coming up with those clever, smart solutions again, and having to be a real spy.”

New and Improved? | So, what is the plan for Chuck’s BFF, now that he’s the big bad Intersect? “In true Morgan Grimes fashion, it’s full steam ahead,” Joshua Gomez laughs. “Unlike Chuck, where he thought things through and cared about the welfare of other human beings, Morgan just wants to hurt people and take revenge. I couldn’t be more excited about it.” Just how boldly will the Buy More’s former assistant manager embrace his badass new skillz? Says Fedak, “Let’s put it this way: By the third episode, Morgan will have frosted his tips.”

Love Story | “Casey has either met his match, or his love match,” Baldwin teased of his toughie’s new romantic arc. Fedak adds, “Her name is Gertrude Verbanski. Chuck will now be running Carmichael Industries and their big competition is the Verbanski Corp., the best spy company in the world.”

The Break-Up | Avert your eyes now, Jeffster fans: “This is the season where it all falls apart between Jeff and Lester,” Fedak reveals. “It’s going to be a great war and…very dramatic.” Of course, before all is said and done, “We’ll definitely do another Jeffster number before the end of the year. They’ll go out with a bang.”

Casting Scoop | “We have a couple big bad guys that we don’t want to reveal just yet,” Hamill included, Fedak shared. As for General Beckman’s place in Team Bartowski’s new world, “Bonita [Friedericy] is still very much a part of the show,” Fedak maintained.

Job Security | While Fedak promises that “the Buy More is still very important” this season, Vik Sahay (aka Lester) has just one major concern: “I just hope this season that I get some scenes in the actual show.” Preach!

Gloom and Doom | “Someone might not survive this season,” Fedak warned of Chuck‘s final go-round. Such possible loss, he said, “will be big.”

Awesome Endeavor | Previewing Captain and Mrs. Awesome’s Season 5 adventures, Fedak said, “Now Ellie knows about Chuck’s spy life, so it’s much more of a family business.”

Mama Drama | Nothing is set in stone just yet, but Fedak says, “I’d love to have Linda Hamilton back on the show. It wouldn’t be the show without bringing Mama Bartowski back one more time.”

Super Spinoff | When asked if a Chuck offshoot is even the most remote possibility, Fedak’s response surprised us all. “Definitely,” he offered. “I love the idea that the end of a show is just a prologue for another adventure.” So, there’s hope for that Morgan/Casey/Odd Couple thing afterall.

Dream Weavers | Everyone’s got an opinion about how Chuck should wrap things up in its final season — even the cast. How should it all go down, Zach Levi? “Awesomely,” he offers. Said Ryan McPartlin, “I would like a feature trilogy,” while Sahay wants to see Lester “go out with a glorious death — preferably in slo-mo.” Scott Krinsky (aka Jeff) thinks there somehow “needs to be a baby Jeffster by the end of the show to carry on the legacy.” Some of the cast, though, are actually still holding out hope for more Chuck to present itself. “I’m still not convinced it will end this year,” Baldwin mused. And when asked how he’d like to see it end, Gomez simply replied, “I don’t.”

Curtain Call | An emotional Levi wrapped up Chuck‘s final Comic-Con appearance by thanking the fans with a tearful send-off, his voice cracking with emotion at times: “You guys are so epic, so awesome. All of the time and the money that you spend… you took energy out of your lives, and I just want to thanks.”

We’ve also got our hands on the “Season 5 planning” video that was unveiled at the Con, in which Morgan trains for his new gig as an Intersect:

1. madde says:

cant wait!! / greetings sweden

2. Ace says:

Dude. AWESOME. I am fangirling so hard right now.

3. Dave says:

I can’t wait for the obvious Star Wars references that will be made.

And it’ll be nice to see Mark Hamill on tv again.

Once again Chuck shows every other show how to cast the most awesome guest stars.

4. Marianne says:

Epic! This final season is going to be awesome!

5. Michelle says:

Please tell me Jeffster will be involved w/some sort of SW references.

6. Emily says:

I so want a Nerd Herd golf cart!

7. Mdz says:

That’s great news!!! Hope this season is amazing as it promises to be!!! Really don’t want the show to end.:(

8. Jem says:

Thanks for the transcript Meg! I love this cast, always have, always will.

9. Dbe says:

As much as I love this show, I love the cast and crew so much more. For as much as the fans have been supportive and dedicated of the show, the cast and crew have been just as awesome. Not going to lie, I got teary-eyed reading what Zac said at the end and how the cast stood up to clap for the audience as the audience stood up to clap for “Chuck.”

10. nonabgo says:

I actually hate the fact that Morgan is now the intersect, I’m not sure I will even watch this final season. Too bad, because I really loved Chuck so far, butt his might just be a deal-breaker for me.

• CL says:

Yeah, I really — and I mean REALLY — don’t like the fact that Morgan is now the intersect. I’ll still watch the show, though, as long as Yvonne Strahovski still gets plenty of screen time. I just hope they can get the show back to the level of season’s 1-3, which were so good.

11. Benn says:

The “will be big” death has to be Big Mike…or is that too obvious? Well, anyway, that is what I think.

12. Scott says:

(ominously) I’ll be waiting for this ……… ☺☺☺☺

13. lisenwthintent says:

I have always wondered, if you read the publicity surrounding the show by NBC, at how “good” a show Chuck is, that NBC has always had Chuck on tender hooks each season. Maybe in the hopes that that would bring in more viewers – reverse psychology in play? Sadly, no, according to the ancient Nielsen ratings system. (And Chuck being such a nerdish show those figures should have been through the roof by having NBC actually creating a new system by which the ratings for shows would be calculated. Dinosaurs are extinct and perhaps it is time for the present ratings system to be retired for good.)

But has there been any interest from ANY other network in picking up Chuck for another season? These things have happened in the past. But then again, is it not time to let the fabulous talents of the show go forward and be even greater?

But in any case, the cast, writers and crew have done a remarkable job over the past 4 years and one to go! BRAVO to you all!!! I wish you all continued and more success in all your future endeavors. NBC will only be able to look back yet again and say “yeah, right, another one that we let get away from us….”

14. bored_viewer says:

Candis Cayne for Gertrude Verbanski!

15. DN says:

Making a sidekick the center of attention is a stupid move (with Morgan becoming the Intersect), but the resignation that this is the end of the show makes me believe the producers just aren’t interested any more. I think their done (Schwartz has so many projects going now, I’m surprised he’s stuck around this long).

With the CW and basic cable networks available, “Chuck” should be the object of a bidding war because of it’s established audience.

So, I think Warner Bros. should turn the reigns over to new producers and have the show continue. Chuck is the heart and soul of the series, so giving the super computer to another character means the producers have lost their way, they just don’t get it anymore.

16. Mdz says:

Wow!!! these are great knews…I really hope this is an epic last season…Although like Joshua Gomez and Adam Baldwin I wish it wasn’t the end…
    I also wanted to say that Zac Levi is amazing..the way he thanked fans for there support..I’m glad he is still humble and down to earth..and what he’s doing with nerd hq..just awesome..Gotta love a guy like that..

17. Susie says:

Maybe the USA network will pick up CHUCK? It would fit right in with their programming!

18. CJ says:

Wonder if they’ll find a way to have Bryce come back in the final season – kind of bring things full circle.

19. Erin says:

Oh man, there has to be another way we can save this show… :(

20. Clark says:

Is this video link broken, or has it been taken down? Anyone else having issues playing it?

• tiavro says:

yeah it wouldn’t work here so I went to a different site with the same link and it still wouldn’t play. boooo

21. Jeff says:

If it is true and Morgan does have the intersect for several or more episodes of Chuck, it will be dissapointing. Get the intersect back in Chuck in the first episode!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. CF says:

Mark Hamill as the villain? Cock-Knocker returns!

23. kristine c. says:

I hope there’d really be a Chuck movie. ^^

24. anna says:

I hope to god that tthe big death isn’t Yvonne or Zach!

25. DEE says:

What a totally awesome video! CHUCK has never let us down and he won’t this season. Love CHUCK.

26. sundoll says:

being at the panel this year was amazing – half the ballroom was in tears after Zac said thanks. While the show has ebbed and flowed in its greatness, I’ve stuck it out and I still love it with all my heart, in large part due to how much the cast and crew responds to fans – if they didn’t care, I doubt I would nearly as much. I’m actually a fan of Morgan having the intersect, I’m hoping it’s done right and will bring us back to the adorkable innocence of the first season which had Chuck bumbling around in the spy world. I have no doubt it will end up back where it belongs in the end (with Chuck) but I think the change could open up some great opportunities for the first half of the season.