Fall TV Scoop: B.D. Wong Reveals His SVU Fate

The fate of yet another actor facing the prospect of double duty this TV season has apparently been decided. B.D. Wong, who fills a major role on the NBC midseason drama Awake, announced on Twitter Sunday that Law & Order: SVU viewers likely have seen the last of forensic psychiatrist Dr. George Huang.

“I actually do not return for Season 13,” Wong told one follower during his live tweeting of USA Network’s Sunday afternoon “What Would BD DO” SVU marathon. “I am jumping to Awake! It’s awesome!”

Fall TV Recasts: Damon Wayans Will (Briefly) Live with New Girl, and More Updates

Wong hinted at a possible parting of the ways with the long-running crime drama when I spoke to him at NBC’s upfront presentation unveiling the network’s 2011-12 schedule. “[The SVU powers-that-be] gave me the blessing to do [the Awake pilot], which was really nice,” he shared. “But I don’t really know if I can do both or not.”

Fall TV Preview: TVLine’s Guide to What’s New

Since Awake doesn’t debut until midseason, there seemed to be some hope that Huang would return at least to say goodbye. But as Wong tweeted Sunday, “I don’t know if or when I’ll be back [on SVU]! It was amazing to have such a cool job for 11 years and to be a real NY Actor.”

Wong’s exit marks the last bit of cast upheaval for SVU, which has lost series vet Chris Meloni, added Danny Pino (Cold Case) and Kelli Giddish (Chase) as series regulars/new detectives, and is welcoming back Stephanie March and Diane Neal (as prosecutors Alexandra Cabot and Casey Novak) for an undetermined number of episodes each.

Fall TV: NBC Sets Premiere Dates, Including Late Start For Chuck‘s Final Mission

On Awake — which, as B.D. said, is rather awesome — Wong plays one of two shrinks that Jason Isaacs’ troubled lawman sees, each in a separate reality. Cherry Jones (24) plays the other therapist. You can get a peek at Awake here; grab a Kleenex first:

1. Junior G. says:

Sad to see him leave SVU, but I’m very excited to see ‘Awake,’ as BD said, it looks awesome.

• Stacie says:

I will also miss BD on SVU but look forward to seeing him and all the others on Awake. It looks like it will be a great show!

2. Lore says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, i was wishing see him in the 2 shows!! but what a choice we have, to watch Awake, and the awesome BD Wong playuing another psychiatris, and Lucius Malfoy, i mean Jason Isaacs, but i still want him in special appereances!!

3. Dax says:

I always liked his character on SVU but the preview for AWAKE really does look awesome. I wish him luck!

4. alma says:

Good luck to u maybe its better u got a new show

5. Wow, the faces of 11/12 years are falling off of SVU.

Chris, B.D., Mariska leaving at the end of the season. I’ll be watching NBC’s “Awake”! Congrats to B.D.!

Mr. Mitovich, who is going to replace B.D. on SVU?

• Selbs says:

Oh, crap! BD gone, is Tamara Tunie next? Doesn’t matter that his appearances aren’t that long, he adds mega texture to the show. I hear the bell tolling for SVU. Stephanie and Dana are some consolation, but this show is shrinking, shrinking (Wizard of Oz shrinking) and this is one lmore unhappy camper.

6. Brooke says:

I stopped watching SVU a few years ago, so I’m thrilled to see BD end up on a show I plan on watching. I always loved his scenes on SVU.

7. Eva says:

Looks awesome – wonder how long before NBC cancels it.

• George says:

We should all be optimistic about NBC. Of all the big network up-fronts. They had the most to offer in new scripted programming and New CEO who willing to do more shows that take risks and branch out into new territory.

Can’t say that about the other networks. Definitely will be watching more cable this TV season.

• sadtroll says:

Yeah, but the reason NBC is willing to take risks is because they’re in dead last of the major nets. So instead of using a successful formula (hello CBS) they’re gambling on getting lucky with some shows that come out of nowhere (hello ABC) seeing as none of their reality shows seem able to achieve the kind of ridiculous ratings that can prop up a whole network (you know it Fox).

So yeah, better more creative shows from NBC. But unfortunately tv land cares little about that and Eva’s pithy comment is probably more dead on than any of us would like.

Fingers crossed though.

8. Charlie Sheen says:

Not a huge surprise, considering how rarely he appears on SVU lately. Will be missed but at least he’ll still be WINNING on our TV screens!

9. nitemar says:

Got mixed feelings, but Im really looking forward to Awake and glad they got BD Wong, and also hope he makes more appearances on the new show. :)

10. Chris Halarewich says:

I loved him in “OZ”

11. JohnDoe says:

This is upsetting. Huang is awesome. I’m really disappointed, with Chris leaving, Mariska taking a backseat half way through the season, Huang leaving, Munch hardly ever on anymore, and Cragen disappearing in important finales….

12. Mikos says:

Okay, that “Awake” trailer was slightly more than awesome.

13. Lucy says:

I’m with the majority. I love BD on SVU but the new show looks very awesome. I really hope the writing keeps the show moving and interesting because this is the first new show that I’m interested in for the fall (or whenever it appears!)

14. Sabine says:

I was watching reruns of The Practice the other day and wondering what had happened to Eugene Young (Mark Harris). So happy to see him in Awake! And with Wong and Isaacs, what a great cast. Can’t wait.
    The new SVU will be a whole different show, I’ll give it a try but I stopped watching regularly a while ago.

• Jeff says:

I’m actually going to watch *because* it will be a whole different show. I gave up on SVU several years ago when the writing got too terrible to stomach. The new cast coming in gives me hope that they might get the show back on track. I will miss Chris and Mariska but they deserve better that what the show had become…and so do we.

15. Taryn says:

i am sad to see him leave SVU. However, i am willing to give Awake a chance, because it looks quite interesting. I wish B.D Wong the best
    of luck.

I am also grateful that we won’t be losing Ice-T yet. He is such a badass on SVU.

16. yourstruly says:

There’s no punctuation in BD’s name! Just two letters, side by side: BD.

• L. Black-Smith says:

What are you? The name police? People are commenting, positively, on Mr. Wong’s talented performances. I seriously doubt he would be upset if someone put punctuation marks in his name.

17. Suncatcher says:

- I am so happy for BD Wong! He was so underutilized by SVU. Great talent! The people at Awake are very lucky to get him.

– SVU will be very interesting this Fall – Kelli Giddish & Danny Pino were a very pleasant surprise and I think they might just save SVU. I loved Chase and Kelli was excellent. The writing shot it down. Danny Pino seemed quite good on Cold Case. Together we might be in for a treat when they blend in with the rest of the great SVU cast.

– Very sorry to see BD Wong leave but I wish him all the best!

18. Kevin says:

There’s a reason why actors who appear on a series and decided to move on with another TV series. That’s the reason B.D. Wong is moving from SVU to do another drama series on NBC called AWAKE. Really going to miss him playing Dr. George Huang and what about Meloni’s new gig since he left the L&O spinoff series?

19. Kathy says:

“Awake” sure does look like a great new show. I plan on watching… but how long before they take it off the air… There are so many people who really enjoy a show with an ‘edge’. How do WE get to be the ones who vote for the ‘yea’, or ‘nay’ of the programs shown??? I really loved “Pushing Daisies”. Quirky characters, bazaar premise, and brilliant, mind-bending color… They didn’t even put the final season on DVD. (It was put into a comic book-) I plan on watching “Awake” as long as it is shown. Way to GO! BD!!

20. Amber says:

SVU should totally bring in Jeremy Irons to play the new psychiatrist.

21. Danielle H. says:

Am I the only one who thinks Awake doesn’t look very good at all? I think it looks like one of those shows where the concept is so high that it gives the writers free reign to pull crazy crap out of their butts to give twists and turns, lol. I can just see it being a constant thing with them pulling a “which reality did this really happen in?” type of deal.

22. john-boy says:

Sorry to hear his leaving SVU. His new show looks interesting but his is leaving a sure thing to go to ??? Thats life I know, there is always risk.

I must disagree what some had said about SVU on its last legs, the Original Law and Order went for 20 years. The bringing on board of Pino is great, I watched him on Cold Case, he is good.

I also love the ADA’s they are keeping around. I will miss Stabler though but I understand his desire to make a change.

SVU is done very well, what will make the difference is the writing!!! If the stories are good, their new season will be a huge hit!!! The acting is top of the line already its the writing that has to keep up with the quality of the actors.

I believe it will too!!!

23. jeff says:

After all this time, stabler is gone and now Huang. SVU is so not doing well!