Friday Night Lights Post Mortem: EP Jason Katims Reveals the Ending You Didn't See

Get More: Finales, News, Recaps, Scoop, Spoilers

If my hunch is correct, you’re reading this story after watching the Friday Night Lights series finale on NBC. And you are despairing — majorly despairing.

I screened the spectacularly satisfying yet utterly gut-wrenching episode months ago when it aired on DirecTV, and I’m still grieving to within an inch of my life. There’s no sense denying it: One of the best dramas in the history of TV is over (or is it?!), and it’s time to… remain in a state of denial because the alternative is just too painful. Yep, that’s it.

But before you get busy with that, check out my Q&A with exec producer Jason Katims, during which he reflects on the show’s odds-defying five-season run, answers your burning questions about the finale (why no Tyra/Landry?), and reveals the ending you didn’t see.

TVLINE | What moved you most about the final episode when you sat down and watched it?
The ending. The final montage. I also really liked the scene in the mall with Eric showing up. I was moved in unexpected places. The scene with Julie and Tami where Julie talks to her about her plans to get married to Matt…. that just got me. I thought the scene outside the restaurant with Tami and Eric was very moving. I could go on forever. I loved the finale. I’m very proud of how the episode came out. I really wanted to have an ending that felt like a true ending.

TVLINE | Was Scott Porter’s Jason supposed to be in that penultimate scene with Billy and Tim? There are photos floating around that suggest he was.
We considered four different versions of what that image would be. One was Tim sitting by himself, one was Tim with Tyra, one was Tim and Billy, and the last one was Tim and Jason. We went ahead and shot the Tim/Jason [version] because Scott Porter was really passionate about wanting to do it, even though it wasn’t the intentional ending of the show. After what we had been through with Billy and Tim over the entire series, that felt like the most logical way to go.

TVLINE | So you shot the scene just for Scott?
Yeah. Scott was happy to be able to shoot it. He really petitioned to do it. He wasn’t like, “You have to make this the ending.” He just wanted to do the scene. It didn’t matter to him whether it made the final cut. He just wanted the experience of doing the scene.

TVLINE | Wow. That really speaks to how passionate the cast is about the show.
Yes. Absolutely.

TVLINE | I was surprised you didn’t give Tyra and Landry a moment in the finale. Talk to me about that decision.
At one point, Landry was in the scene with Tyra, Matt and Julie at the bar. But when we got closer to [shooting it] it felt right to have a more intimate moment between Tyra and Tim. Jesse Plemons is so great; it’s great to have him in any scene. But it felt like the scene that he did have with Matt… What we tried to do with the finale was [refer back] to where the show started. And that Matt/Landry scene alludes to the early days with those two knuckleheads. There were many nods to the first season in the episode. The players being interviewed in those director chairs, we tried to shoot that to look like [the scene] in the pilot where Eric, Jason and Smash are getting interviewed.

TVLINE | Forgive me if this question was answered during the montage, but was it clear whether the Lions won the game? I was a basket case at the end, so those final minutes are a blur.
There are several shots that make it clear that they won, but it’s subtle. You see the players with their championship rings. There’s the shot of the guys breaking down the sign that said “2010 State Champs.” The intention was to make it clear that they won. It came out a little bit more subtle than I imagined it would. It also speaks to, as you said, how emotional that sequence is. You sort of miss some of the little nuances on first viewing.

TVLINE | I’m going to put you on the spot and ask you what your biggest regret was over the five seasons.
Well… this isn’t my personal regret as a storyteller, but from an audience response it’s fairly obvious that it’s the murder storyline, which was whole-heartedly rejected my most people. [Fans] felt it went against everything the show was.

TVLINE | OK, then what’s your personal regret?
[Hesitates] You know… I… I guess it would be that storyline, because I think what I learned from that experience is that the investment that an audience has in these characters and in the reality of this world sometimes exceeds what you think it is. And you have to be careful with those things. So I do regret that storyline. I guess I was trying to find a way to say it without actually having to say I regret it. [Laughs]

TVLINE | And the thing you’re most proud of…?
I’m very proud of this final episode. I don’t know if that’s just because it’s the most recent one, but I’m very proud of it because it was a huge thing to take on. I felt like I owed it to the fans of the show and the people on the show to make it a great ending. And I thought the episode was really beautiful. It’s a rare circumstance where an episode is everything you want it to be. It was one of the few times where I wasn’t really thinking about what other people would think or say about it. No matter what other people said about it, I felt like this was what I wanted the episode to be.

Now that you’ve heard from Katims, press Play below to see what the cast has to say about FNL‘s swan song. And then hit the comments with your reaction to the episode. I’d also welcome any tips you have for getting through this painful time.

Loading video...

Comments (109)

• OMG, that was pure perfection!!! It covered everything without seeming forced! All other drama series out there need to take note of how FNL did this! I went through a whole box of tissues!! I was sobbing during the introduction knowing this was the last time I’d see this show. My Wednesday nights are going to be so empty now!!! Thank you for a wonderful ride! Clear eyes, full hearts CANT LOSE!!!!

Comment by Jennifer – February 9, 2011 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s the key. It didn’t, in any way, seem forced. So many shows choose to end things with a forced happy ending for all with flash-forwards. Everything about the final montage felt real. A magnificent show that I will miss more than any other I’ve lost.

Comment by Michael – July 16, 2011 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Such a great episode — what a way to end a terrific series. I sure will miss Dillon and its inhabitants, but at least we got 5 whole seasons from them, which, considering the ratings, is quite a feat.

Comment by Ben Phelps – February 9, 2011 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tyra/Landry! =( I wanted them together.

Comment by Courtney – February 9, 2011 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so I am starting season one dvd right now maybe that will help

Comment by michele – February 9, 2011 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Keep going; the second season is wobbly, but once they get through that “regrettable” story line it’s fabulous again.

Comment by susela – July 16, 2011 08:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • To everybody who made Friday Night Lights possible. So sad to see it end. What a fantastic show !!!!

Comment by scott bannister – February 9, 2011 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve watched this show from day One. I didn’t think it was going to be possible for the finale to tie it all up without it feeling forced…but, it really did. What a great episode that does honor to just about the greatest tv show ever.

Comment by Jean – February 9, 2011 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree. There is a hole in my heart knowing it’s gone forever. It TOTALLY CAPTIVATED my heart and I truly mourn its passing. I don’t think we’ll ever see such class and style again.
      Thank you directors, producers, writers and crew. And thank you cast for bringing it all to life.
      CLEAR EYES FULL HEARTS…..TEXAS FOREVER……GOODBYE FNL

Comment by kaqren s – July 18, 2011 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • (VISION IMPAIRMENT)JEAN, AND KAQREN,I DON’T EVEN KNOW IF YOU WILL READ THIS NOW BUT,I ALSO WATCHED FROM DAY 1#, AND I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU BOTH SAID. I LIVED THE “REAL FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS” IN MY OWN H.S.IN CALI.WHEN I PLAYED IN THE BAND, AND THEN IN SCHERTZ TEXAS IN MY 20′S, AND THEN AGAIN IN TENNESSEE WITH OUR OLDEST SON FOR 4 YRS. EVERY FRIDAY NIGHT FOR JV, AND VARSITY COUGARS. AFTER HE DID 7 YRS IN THE NAVY HE PLAYED COLLEGE BALL IN VIRGINIA. HE WAS THE OLDEST GUY ON A COLLEGE TEAM IN THE EAST COAST WHEN HE GRADUATED. HE ALWAYS WANTED TO PLAY FOR THE TN VOLS, AND FOR YEARS EVERYTHING HE OWNED WAS ORANGE, OR PAINTED ORANGE.THREE YRS LATER THERE ARE STILL SOME ORANGE THINGS AROUND HIS HOUSE :)EVEN THOUGH HE HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE HIS DREAM COME TRUE HE NEVER COULD WALK AWAY FROM HIS TEAM TO PLAY FOR THE VOLS :)I ONLY MADE IT TO TWO OF HIS COLLEGE GAMES SINCE I LIVE IN ALASKA, AND HE LIVES IN VIRGINIA. I SURPRISED HIM ON HIS 32ND BIRTHDAY BY FLYING IN, AND BRINGING IN 3 OF HIS BROTHERS FOR THE GAME WHICH WAS OCT 21ST, AND THEY WON THAT GAME 21-ZIP WOO HOO. HE DID NOT KNOW WE WERE THERE UNTIL COACH BROUGHT ME OVER TO HIM. IT WAS AWESOME, AND I WILL NEVER FORGET THAT DAY. I LISTENED TO SEVERAL OF HIS GAMES ON THE RADIO, AND IT WAS COOL WHEN THEY SAID HIS NAME EVEN THOUGH, I WAS THOUSANDS OF MILES AWAY. SORRY I GOT A LITTLE NOSTALGIC AFTER WATCHING THE FNL FINALE, AND IT TOOK ME 9 DAYS BEFORE I COULD WATCH IT. I DON’T LIKE GOOD-BYES OR CHANGES..SO MUCH FOR BEING IN A MILITARY FAMILY MY WHOLE LIFE..LOL THANK YOU JEAN AND KAQREN FOR SAYING THOSE FEW THINGS THAT MADE ME OPEN UP, AND FEEL A LITTLE BIT BETTER OVER THE FNL LOSS, AND THE LOSS OF THE “REAL FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS”. HUGS FROM ALASKA DEBBIE

Comment by DEBBIE STARR JACKSON – July 24, 2011 11:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve watched every episode since day one. There wasn’t a storyline or a character I didn’t like. There was barely an episode that didn’t bring me to tears. I’m going to miss this show. A Lot.

Comment by ApriD – February 9, 2011 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Beautiful. Loved every single episode of this show. Everything a perfect piece of art should be. Thank you for phasing out with such class and nods to the true history of the show.

The whole season, but the last two episodes in particular, were bittersweet. Particularly loved the replay of “Devil’s Town” in last week’s episode.

Comment by Annie – February 9, 2011 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Truly the best. Thanks Michael, for your passion for this show. It’s been great to hear from someone who has loved the show as I do. Clear eyes, full hearts …..

Comment by Lynn – February 9, 2011 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • An absolutely perfect episode to end an absolutely perfect series. I’m typing this through tears. Texas forever.

Comment by B – February 9, 2011 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FNL has been my favorite show of all time. I have seen every episode since the shock of Jason’s injury in #1. I sat down to watch this episode with such mixed feelings – dying to know how it all turns out/wraps up and not wanting it to end!! They did a fantastic job of wrapping up story lines, as others have already said, without forcing it. Just beautiful. Loved every bit of it. I want to buy the DVDs, but more than that, I want new stories of these people’s lives. That just goes to show how great it really was. Thank you to all of those responsible for this show. It was a truly great, great experience.

Comment by Karen – February 9, 2011 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am putting off watching the last few episodes … I don’t know for how long. I’m living in denial, I guess that the powers that be couldn’t keep this magic alive. FNL will be deeply missed. I might just have to wait for the DVD and then have a weekend and watch the entire series and mourn. There will never be anything that will compare to what this show was, how true and raw and real it was. I have tears on my face just watching the clip above.

Comment by Amanda – February 9, 2011 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You could not dream of a better way to end an amazing series. I cried reading all of this all over again just when I thought I was done sobbing for the night, why did I come on here?! Everything about that episode was epic/perfect. Loved the very beginning with the recap of all that FNL has gone through and the journey we have been on with these characters every week. So sad to see it go, it has got to be the best show on TV ever.

Comment by Laura – February 9, 2011 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So, SO sad right now. I’m grieving. It was beautiful, heartwarming, heartbreaking, hopeful… It was funny, and it was sad. Saying goodbye to a show you love this much, that’s been with you for 5 years through huge life moments… It’s like saying goodbye to a friend you’ll never speak to again. All you have left is the past. Memories of what once was. I’m so sad to see it go, but I’m also so glad they got to go out on their own terms, and they did so beautifully.

Comment by Josh – February 9, 2011 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree! Been a hardcore fan since day one and absolutely loved every episode. My husband can vouch for me, literally everytime after each episode when the credits popped up and that song came on, I would scream, “NOOOOO!” I never wanted it to end! I am deeply sad thats its really over for good. Comeon people, say it with me now…encore, encore, encore! LOL, but I am so happy with how the show ended…truely an awesome ending to the BEST SHOW EVER CREATED! It will definitely be missed!

Comment by Ashley – February 9, 2011 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This series is one of the best out there. I have watched amany and not one has brought tears and laughs to me like this one (in the same episode). I will miss the town of Dillon and the characters I have grown to love. Texas Forever!

Comment by A – February 9, 2011 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what was the song at the end of the series finale? it started off with “may the wind always be at your back”????

Comment by dan – February 9, 2011 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ‘The Devil Knows You’re Dead’ – Delta Spirit

That’s the most underrated aspect of FNL – the music. Perfect and I mean PERFECT song selections. My absolute favorite is the use of amazing ‘Start A War’ by The National. The use of Devil Town is also great.

Words cannot describe how much this show was LIGHT YEARS above anything else on TV.

Comment by Jeff – July 16, 2011 09:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG. Now I cannot wait for NBC to put it on the schedule as I do not have DirecTV. Come on NBC!

Comment by Leah – February 9, 2011 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think I felt this bad the day I watched the last 24 episode with Jack Bauer looking up into the sky. I think it will be a miracle if another show captures my emotions the way this one did in my lifetime. Thanks for the memories FNL. “Only the good die young”…

Comment by Jeremy – February 9, 2011 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael-I absolutely love all of your scoop and news on FNL but I have been avoiding it at all costs because I do not have Direct TV and I don’t want to be spoiled before I get the chance to watch the final season in April. Would you consider consolidating all of this great coverage into one location once the DVD is released? I would certainly appreciate it and I suspect the millions of us who are waiting patiently to watch the final season would too. I am anxious to read all of the inside scoop and interviews etc. but don’t want to risk being spoiled.

Comment by TEW – February 9, 2011 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At the end this story was basically about two ordinary people who love each other very much. It was about how they made each other better human beings. It was about how they changed other people’s lives, and how much they were willing to change for each other.

The story was told in such a beautiful, brilliant way. There will great tv shows in the future, but there will never again be anything quite like Friday Night Lights.

Here’s hoping each of us finds our own Coach or Mrs. T. I found mine. She’s sleeping now and hasn’t seen the finale. I can’t wait till I can watch this episode again with her tomorrow.

Dillon forever.

Comment by mike – February 9, 2011 09:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I feel like I should be able to go up to Philadelphia to catch a Pioneers game with Coach Taylor on the sidelines. Truly one of TVs great shows.

Comment by Dan – February 9, 2011 09:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Actually, I’m surprised to find I’m not grieving. Not to say I didn’t ball my eyes out, but that finale was perfect. I feel like I went on a wonderful journey with these people and it came to a close in the most perfect way. They didn’t leave me wanting for anything. Except maybe to scream out to every other show ever–THAT IS HOW YOU DO A FINALE FOR YOUR FANS! Learn the lesson.

Comment by CJ – February 9, 2011 10:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG How I love, love, love Friday Night Lights…..crying is an understatement….just so sad that it is over. Such a wonderful, amazing show. Congrats to the cast & crew for putting a show on the air that is not only one of the best shows ever to be on television, but one that really shows the heart & soul of characters that are true to life and will stay with me forever.

Clear Eyes, Full Hearts – Always & Forever!

Comment by Corinne – February 9, 2011 10:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I haven’t seen the episode yet but I’m sad they didn’t end it with Jason and Tim. It would have been a good throwback to the pilot. “Here’s to good friends living large in Texas.” I hope they put it on the dvds.

Comment by Angel – February 9, 2011 10:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Even though Jason wasn’t there in person, I think he was there in spirit. I also think it spoke of the whole message of the show portraying real life. That the ideals we had in high school usually don’t come true. So much life happens in between the dreams of high school and where you end up. That was more true for Jason Street than anyone.

Comment by Amy – February 10, 2011 07:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m just going to assume that Jason and Billy and Tim will be working on the house together soon..that is why those images were shot and glad we got to see them.

Comment by zoot – July 17, 2011 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i am a wreck

Comment by andrew – February 9, 2011 11:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amazing and exhilirating series finale. Kudos to everyone behind the scenes on the show from Jason Katims, his writing staff, Michael Waxman, who did a fantastic job directing the finale and Peter Berg for getting this show on the air 5 years ago. I also have to give major props to Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton for their wonderful performances as the Taylor’s. I hope we will see both of them again soon.

Comment by Don J – February 10, 2011 01:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The perfect ending to a perfect show! Still can’t believe it’s over…

Comment by Jesseca – February 10, 2011 02:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My husband and I both thought, best series finale ever. A true gift to the fans, and thanks to everyone who made this show possible.

Comment by SMS – February 10, 2011 05:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I did not read this article yet, as I just can not bring myself to watch the final 2 episodes. I just don’t want it to end. I am not ready to say goodbye to Coach and Tammy.

Comment by Riz – February 10, 2011 06:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So sad to see this go. It was an amazing finale, and I’m so glad I got to see it. Cried like a baby. There will never be a show like this again. Thanks to all involved who made it classy.

Comment by Shockpop08 – February 10, 2011 06:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only thing talking me off the ledge this morning is the knowledge that I have the entire season to rewatch on NBC. What an amazing show.

Comment by Magically Suspicious – February 10, 2011 07:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe it turned out they were dead all along and Dillon was just purgatory.

Comment by kingoftv – February 10, 2011 07:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • here’s this feeling again. so sad and cant let go.
    after LOST ends, and now FNL.

it took me a long time to let go of LOST, and now i’m sure it will be the same with FNL.

“Give all of us gathered here tonight, the strenght to remember that LIFE IS SO VERY FRAGILE. We are all vulnerable, And we will all, at some point in our lives… fall. WE WILL ALL FALL.

We must carry this in our hearts…that WHAT WE HAVE IS SPECIAL.That it can be taken from us…and that when it is taken from us,we will be tested.We will be tested to our very souls. WE WILL NOW ALL BE TESTED.

It is these times-
    it is this pain-
    that allows us to look inside ourselves. ” – COACH TAYLOR

CLEAR EYES…FULL HEARTS…CANT LOSE…

Comment by scy11a – February 10, 2011 07:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael, I could always rely on you for great FNL scoop and insight! It was great having someone like you with the information for us fans at home who are just as passionate about the show as you are!

The ending was obviously sad and heartbreaking, but left me smiling tears of joy. I truly love these characters and not only root for them, but feel their pain and victories each and every episode. Would have loved to see the show go on, but I am satisfied with the ending.

That mall scene was an instant classic scene. Matt Saracen is one of the best things to ever happen to this show (or should I say the brilliant acting of Zach Gilford?). I just wish that we could have had a scene with Coach and Matt with Coach being a little more accepting of the Matt/Julie situation.

Comment by Ashley – February 10, 2011 07:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There are so many comments made on so many different sites so I selected yours randomly. I only started watching this show this year. It is getting its first showing on UK television and so far, it has got to series 3Ep. 5. It is a great show as all the comments attest to. I am Scottish, and a long time ago!! I spent many years in the military and when I was in Germany I spent several months with the US army, which gave me some of my best ever “life memories”. I go to Florida every year on vacation and I am sure I was supposed to be born in the1950′s middle class America. The American Graffitti movie has been watched many times!! Anyway I just wanted to say that I think FNL is great TV and I am trying not to read too many comments, as I still have over 2 series to watch! Every episode I watch I would just love to be there. You may detect I am not so fond of the UK anymore. Tooooooo cold!!!!!

Derek.

Comment by Derek Cochrane – November 27, 2012 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very hard to see it end…I do have one question though that wasn’t in your Q&A. When they shot the final episode they released a picture of Tim and Tyra all dressed up. Like they were in a wedding — did they shoot a Julie / Matt wedding scene and cut it?

Comment by Kevin – February 10, 2011 08:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I grew up in a small town in the South and the show just resonated with me and brought me back to that place week after week. Thank you to all of the writers, directors, producers, cast and crew of this wonderful, marvelous show.

Comment by Vicki – February 10, 2011 08:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just watched ‘ALWAYS’. I’ll be crying all day. This program has meant so much to me for the last five years. I want to thank Mr. Katims for the wonderful gift he gave us. I can’t express how grateful I am to have had such excellence to watch. I was involved with the Taylors and Dillon from the first episode. I knew this day was coming, but it still hurts so much. It’s hard to let these people go.
    The quality of FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS isn’t something you see on television very much.
    I treasure the actors-Kyle Chandler will be my love forever. I treasure the characters-Eric and Tami Taylor are as real as they get. I loved and cared about all the characters.
    I’ll watch it all again on NBC, and I can’t wait to get my DVD set of the 5th season.
    The final episode was perfect, a ‘love letter’ to fans. There weren’t enough of us, but we are devoted.
    Those who didn’t watch FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS…well, it’s there loss. And there’s no way to make them understand what it means. “You just had to be there.”
    Again, Mr. Katims-and everyone who gave us this gift-thank you so very, very much. It will never be forgotten.
    “Clear eyes, full hearts, can’t lose”
    I’ll love this show, and these people forever.
    Thank you!!

Comment by Kathie – February 10, 2011 08:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    “Clear eyes, full hearts, can’t lose”
    I’ll love this show, and these people forever.
    Thank you!!

Comment by Kate – February 10, 2011 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I didn’t mean for 2 copies to come up. I apologize.
      And I know the word is ‘their’. Hey, I’m in a weakened emotional state!
      Michael, when you figure out how to get through the pain please share. Lots of us are going to need the help.

Comment by Kate – February 10, 2011 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved this series and will really miss it. The “clear eyes” everyone had on the final pass while the ball was in the air was a wonderful touch. The finale was great the way it gave the characters story lines going forward. My only question was Coach Taylor at a college or high school. Even for tv those players looked old.

Also I never could get over the pervasive underage drinking. I know its just tv but it all seemed way to matter of fact.

Comment by phat al – February 10, 2011 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • it is a matter of fact these days…

Comment by well – May 30, 2011 12:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I grew up in “Dillon” Texas and drinking beer was just a way of life. You saw your parents drink a beer when they got hot and thirsty and when you were old enough to haul hay, etc. you were old enough to get a cold beer also. That was one of the things I loved about FNL was how close to the truth they kept their subject lines and characters. Though I never had a Tim Riggins in my “Dillon”.

Comment by ella – July 16, 2011 08:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you to the cast and crew of such a great show. I haven’t seen the last season yet but am really looking forward to it. Thanks, Michael, for this great piece.

Comment by cpreynolds – February 10, 2011 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My wife and I have been a fan of the show since day 1. I haven’t never felt this emotionally attached to TV show before in my life. I felt like a part of was taken away last night.

I couldn’t ask for a better ending for a series. I only wish there was more to come in the future. I was an emotional wreck last night and still am today at work. No show has ever gotten to me more than this one.

This was the greatest TV show ever to grace us. Everything felt so real , so natural. I cannot give enough credit to the actors, producers, directors and all the cast/crew involved that made this possible. This was the greatest gift from you and I thank you for sharing this with us.

Thank you for the greatest show ever…

Comment by Darrell – February 10, 2011 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i started watching it really late last night, actually about 4 am this morning. i fell asleep about half way through. i swear to god in my dream i was still sort of watching the finale, and watched a tyra/landry scene. when i woke up and rewatched the entire episode i was really confused when i realized it wasnt real. such a crazy/great way to end it.
    i really hope jason katims starts running another show along with parenthood because he is probably the best showrunner in tv. and by another show i mean i want at least 3 of the actors fron fnl in it.

Comment by S – February 10, 2011 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with everyone’s assessment of the finale. It was absolutely beautiful. What a way to end the best series that ever aired on TV! I only wish that Kyle Chandler had expressed his thoughts at the end. I would love to have heard what he was feeling. I have watched every episode of FNL since day 1. I will truly miss this show!!

Comment by Sandra Lech-Bloom – February 10, 2011 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My husband and I were surprised (and disappointed) that “Coach” did not appear on the interviews – any reason why?

Comment by gayle – February 10, 2011 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just finished watching the last episode. Started crying 11 minutes into the show and haven’t stopped. At least the ending wrapped everything up and didn’t leave any stone unturned. FNL was and will be the greatest show ever put on TV. I feel like my family is gone.

Comment by Susan – February 10, 2011 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Couldn’t we have a spin-off with Coach and Tami adjusting to life in the big city? Or Matt and Julie dealing with the reality of living together while being so young? Or Tyra as she leaves college and sets off on a career path? Honestly, I’d follow any one of these characters into another show. We could lose the football, since they’re all out of high school, but continue their stories.

Comment by susela – February 10, 2011 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s going to take time to recover from losing this show, but it was an amazing end to an amazing show.

If this show and it’s cast isn’t recognized during award season for that ending it will be a travesty.

Comment by Alex – February 10, 2011 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show has a piece of my heart. I will miss it, utterly!

Comment by Pam – February 10, 2011 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a phenomenal ending to the greatest written and acted tv series of all times. I’m grieving it’s over! I’m going to start watching season 1 so I have five more years! Thank you for the experience, it was incredible.

Comment by Kelley – February 10, 2011 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post