Exclusive

Exclusive Details: Friday Night Lights May Continue... On the Big Screen

Friday Night Lights may be going into overtime in a big way. The Emmy-nominated drama — which wraps its fifth and final season on NBC tonight — may continue on the big screen.

I know what you’re thinking: There already was an FNL movie with Billy Bob Thornton in the lead. Well, this one would pick up where the small screen version left off and center on Coach Taylor and Tami, as played by Emmy nominees Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton (who portrayed the same role opposite Thornton in the original flick).

The twisty story all started to unravel itself Thursday, when Grantland.com editor in chief Bill Simmons tweeted that, “Peter Berg told us he wants to do an FNL movie with Chandler/Britton off the final episode.” After that, multiple sources told me it’s no pipe dream. Berg, who directed the original feature and shepherded the NBC series with exec producer Jason Katims, is working behind the scenes to make it a reality.

Of course, if you thought the road from TV to movie was complicated, that may be child’s play compared to going from the big screen to the small screen and back to the big screen. In addition to book rights, there are multiple production companies, Imagine and NBC’s production arm, Universal Media Studios, involved.

A rep for Universal Pictures, which produced the first movie and would oversee the reboot, tells TVLine, “We do not currently have a FNL project in development.” But obviously, I think the key word there is currently.

Thoughts? Excited at the prospect of seeing Coach and Tami again? Hit the comments! Oh, and here’s my answer: Hell, yes!!!

TAGS:
GET MORE: Exclusive, News, Scoop

1. Captain says:

Many critical success/low-rated shows have tried to be made into movies. It never works.

• Lisa says:

Serenity would like to have a word with you.

I would love for them to make a FNL movie though. I don’t think that the Taylor’s story is over yet and I’m sure others feel the same.

• TV Gord says:

Nice comeback, Lisa! :-)

• Hunter says:

Serenity Valley Forever? Just doesn’t have the same ring as “Texas Forever”

• Miffy says:

Uh – Serenity was NOT a success. If it had been, there would have been sequels. Foolish comeback, Lisa.

• Maximus says:

Yea! Just like Gladiator was not a success, it didn’t have any sequels

• Carrie says:

“Serenity” opened #2 at the box office. I don’t think they really planned to make sequels, just conclude the story that went unfinished on television. *SPOILER* They did kill off more than one major character…Besides, it still qualifies as a TV show that continued on the big screen. I would be thrilled if they did that with FNL. More Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton as Coach and Tami could only be a good thing.

• Michael says:

Depends on what the original poster meant by success. There have been some disastrously bad conversions but Serenity was not one of them. It was, at least critically, well done. It didn’t translate into box office success and I don’t think that FNL will set the world on fire with revenue. That said, I have no worries that the movie itself won’t be anything other than terrifically made and acted.

• Craig says:

Serenity was a success because it was awesome. It’s sad there won’t be another movie, but I’m happy I got to see Serenity. That’s the way I feel about a possible FNL movie. It doesn’t have to be popular as long as it’s good.

• Jae says:

I have loved that sow since it first started and to find that last night was the last night for all of the wonderfully talented actors is very very sad, that show was so down to earth and was so much like the way life is in a small town in the mid west or the west. I for one cried at the end of last night show and I am going to be 71 in a few weeks…..Please bring them back to TV. Loved everyone on there! Thank you for FNL’s

• Hobbes says:

Yes. That Star Trek franchise was Such. A. Failure.

• KNSat says:

Just because something never worked before doesn’t mean it can’t work at all. If any TV show can be a successful movie, it’s Friday Night Lights. It’s just too great an entity to let disappear.

• jan says:

TEXAS FOREVER…..bring back all of the same cast members and I would watch it forever!!!!

• jan says:

“Remember the Titans” was a great movie but I still wanted more when it was over. I say bring FNL back to friday night t.v.It has so many great lessons and values that our kids should learn. Loyalty,team work, love of family and country.There are so many more story lines they could follow. SAME CAST also.

• Trevor says:

Um… Everyone knows that “Friday Night Lights” was already a movie right? I may be speaking out of turn here, since I never saw the series, nor do I plan to… But I thought that the show was based on the movie that was based on the book, which will have a movie based on the show… Is anyone else getting a meta meta moment here? *Universe Implosion*

P.S. Firefly should get another movie before this does IMHO…

• Pat says:

Star Trek????!!!

• ibgayle says:

YESSS! So much of this series was UN-television, it deserves better treatment – and a new life! Chandler has proven he’s big screen stuff (with “super 8″). Add Connie Britton, give them their Pennsylvania adventure, then drive them back to Texas with that incredible roots feel, circle the wagons with some of that unforgetable cast (I’m convinced “Buddy” is a relative of mine, Matt&Julie & Grandmaw, Luke&Becky, the Riggins – so much more to unfold!) and round up the best of the writers who made the magic of believable football and the heart that’s in the midst of it…well, I’ll be buying a ticket, & the DVD. Clear eyes, clean hearts… DO IT!

2. Jen says:

PLEASE, I beg of anyone that has any kind of authority over this, to PLLLEEEAAASSSE let this happen!

3. V says:

As long as the other characters come along as well…YES!!!!

4. nessie says:

i am still waiting for my arrested development and veronica mars movie. please stop teasing us

5. Parker says:

Michael–you need to stop getting my hopes up with these “movies” based off my favorite, gone-too-soon shows. Where’s my Veronica Mars or Arrested Development or Party Down?

…okay, really, this is exciting news. I hope this happens!

• Ray says:

I think the difference is that Peter Berg is an established big time movie director and producer where Mitch Hurwitz and Rob Thomas dont have nearly the big time movie industry pull that Berg has.

6. donna says:

PLEASE PLEASE this would be terrific….then if it could only go back to the small screen AGAIN…..I am sad just thinking about watching the final episode tonite…….

7. Julie says:

I loved Friday Nights Lights, really and truly but this doesn’t feel like a good idea. The show ended beautifully and they told the story very well. I think it’s best to end on this high note.

• Murph says:

I agree. I love this show and these characters and the actors so much, but it ended so well. Just a perfect, beautiful finale in everyway. They gave the fans got everything they needed and wanted. I think they should let it be.

• PJ says:

I agree. I think they ended it perfectly, and even though I loved the finale like *Whoah!* I think they should leave it alone. It was completely satisfying – don’t mess with it.

• matt says:

I agree with the perfect ending. I am Just having a hard time letting it go.

8. Josh Gold says:

While I would love to see this why would would anyone thing audiences would go out and pay $10+ to see something they wouldn’t even watch on “free” tv. But it is nice to dream…

• Andie says:

Because they may have forgotten it was a show and would see that it would get 4 stars by Roger Ebert (because it would obviously be fabulous) and then why wouldn’t they see it?

9. ggny says:

Im down as long as the original cast returns. Maybe a 5 year reunion of their State Championship win?

• Pat says:

Star Trek was a cult favorite with a small but fanatic fan base. Star Trek, the Movie came out several years and several Star Trek conventions (complete with t-shirts) later. So, it will take a couple of years for PB to pull this off, just the right amount of time for the male populstion to view FNL on ESPN and for their wives and families to go along.

10. Christa says:

This so needs to happen. This is such a wonderful show, and I am so bummed that it couldn’t continue. Being able to see Kyle and Connie and all the FNL players on the big screen would just make my day!! I’m glad that the show will continue to run in re-runs, but new stories and big screens would just be the icing on the cake! If Johnny Depp can do a million “Pirates” movies, why can’t we get a few FNL movies?!

11. Steven says:

How about we Arrested Development and Veronica Mars movies first then we can move on to show that had time to have a proper series finale.

12. Thomas says:

I have no idea how they might go about this, and although the TV series ended perfectly, its hard to pass up the chance to spend a little more time with Coach and Mrs T!

13. Alexis says:

I feel like this is a very meaningless article…basically you’re telling us that nothing is happening? *sigh*

14. RiggsFan says:

OMG is right!! Do we need to start planning bake sales and lemonade stands to help raise money??

15. Hunter says:

I hate to sound like a 16-year-old girl…but OMG! This, on top of the Emmy nominations, just made my day. One of my favorite shows, about my favorite state, with my favorite characters…it’s like a dream come true. And I like the idea of a 5 or 10 year state championship reunion…have the entire cast come back and see how everyone has moved on and changed. I’ll be keeping my ear to the ground to see how this plays out.

16. GDS says:

Yes! Yes! Yes! Oh, God, YES!

17. Kristin says:

This would be AMAZING!! I agree they ended the series perfectly, but I’d love to see the story continue on the big screen.

Now, if this happens, do you think they could tell the Gilmore Girls’ powers that be to do the same thing?? A girl can dream!! :-)

18. DryedMangoez says:

It would be great to see FNL get the big screen treatment. I’m sure they can have plenty of material for a 90 minute feature of Coach and Mrs. Coach inspiring new kids in Philly.

19. Laurel says:

I would LOVE to see this happen !
    It’s about time that FNL got some love from the industry.
    We all know how many years it took for them to even be invited to the Emmys.

They have said the same thing about sooooo many shows JUST when the LAST EPISODE is about to air.
    DEADWOOD and Sopranos to name acouple and then movie doesn’t happen.

The one good thing FNL has going for it that none of those other shows had is Peter Berg.
    I think he is largely responsible for keeping FNL on the air for so long.
    He produces & directs a lot of big movies and some TV.
    So an FNL movie may have a shot.

Lets think happy thoughts…

20. Pam says:

I would LOVE this! But please leave Julie Taylor behind.

21. zoot says:

Wondering when I read comment from Connie Britton re Emmy nom. She said she talked to Kyle Chandler and he was in Ausstin, TX. Why is he in Austin? Did he move there after FNL or is he doing preliminary for the movie!!! Let’s all hope…

22. Craig says:

I have just had the pleasure of watching this TV show from S1 to S5 in like 2 weeks I was so hooked.

Great show, great actors and compelling story lines that were believable and sincere.

I’m just glad to have watch it from start to finish and glad the Taylor parents (Kyle & Connie) have been nominated again this year for the Emmys. I wish them all the luck, it has been a pleasure!

Fantastic if a film happens, it’ll be a huge bonus to an extraordinary show!

Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Cant Lose.

23. Mara says:

ABSOLUTELY they should do this! What a fantastic show this has been, a movie would just be the icing on the cake.

Especially with Chandler and Britton leading the way, watch out. Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can’t Lose!

24. Evang. Pius Paul says:

Big screen just like citíes have their advantages and dísadvantages over the small screen which may be liken to villages.

25. Lynnette says:

This must happen!!!!!! Please!!!!!!

26. Amber says:

I actually had forgotten all about the Billy Bob Thornton version until mentioned here. What I’m really thinking is, how would they pull that off? I’m trying really hard not to spoil the ending for anyone that hasn’t seen it, but I gotta say…it seems like things were ended in kind of a final way for a lot of people. Not to mention by the time the movie would come out realistic expectations would be that a lot of the characters had graduated and moved on. Don’t get me wrong, I would totally see a movie version of the show as I dearly love all these characters, it just seems so strange they’re trying to get a movie together when they ended things the way they did.

27. Jess says:

I would LOVE a FNL movie only if the orginals come back! I luv connie kyle zach and well fnl is one of very few shows that i pretty much like all the characters!!! But anyways lets hope this movie happens!! :)

28. Eva says:

OMG! How many ways can I say YES??????????!!!!!!!!!

29. thelstrikeman says:

It would be a dream come true. But I don’t wan to get my hopes up because the chances that it might actually happen are very slim!

30. Stacey says:

Loved the original movie, loved the TV series, so if they do actually get a follow up movie for this new FNL storyline, I’d definitely pay my money to see it in the theater.

31. Carrie #2 says:

OMG I know this isn’t the best idea ever story-wise (aren’t they going to wrap up everything tonight anyway?) but I have to say, I would kill to see these characters again in any capacity. I’m dreading the end of the series tonight but this softens the blow at least a little bit. Thanks for making my day, TVLine!!

32. Renee says:

I’d see it.

33. Jackie says:

Anything with Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton in it would be wonderful! I really hope they do the movie!

34. Fox Mulder says:

Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton are indeed the First Couple of network TV and it’s exciting to see their chemistry to the big screen. FNL’s canvas is personal and intimate but visually theatrical in equal measure, and it could translate to an outstanding feature film! Excited to hear more about this. Please keep us updated.

35. Jerry says:

Yes yes and yes. And please.

36. Chrissie says:

As much as I would LOVE to get more Friday Night Lights–and more importantly, more Connie Britton and Kyle Chandler–I’m so afraid it would ruin the series’ perfect ending.

37. Barry says:

This is one of the best and most relevant shows on TV. If it will not continue on TV then for sure movies are the way to go/. Both my wife and I are very sad that tonight is the last TV episode.

Love it

38. massiel says:

i think they should just leave it alone. the finale was perfection and i was to remember this show for all the greatness is provided, i haven’t even watched the movie because i dont want it to spoil the perfection of FNL.

39. Alyssa says:

This better not be a joke. It would be far too cruel to tease us with this spectacular idea if it is merely wishful thinking.

40. robin says:

They should do a FNL wedding movie were Julie and Matt gets married and the hole gang come for it.And we see what they been up to ,maybe some flashbacks to thing we didnot see went the were in high school or crazy summers.

41. Anna says:

Hell yes! Texas Forever!

42. E. says:

Seriously? Wow, this would be absolutely amazing. Anything to see Chandler and Britton in those roles one more time.

43. MiffyIsNuts says:

Success is in the eye of the true fan! Love it when an idiot calls someone foolish!

44. IheartFNL says:

Don’t play with our emotions! Please let this be true!

45. DanOregon says:

I love the show. The finale was perfection. Which is why I don’t know how you shoehorn a plot involving all of (or at least most of) the characters into two hours (tops) while advancing the storyline and also presenting a movie that can stand on its own.
    The town is in Texas, the coach and his wife are in Pennsylvania, the team is wherever…

Its the difference between TV and movies these days – movies have become A, then B, then C type productions, while TV series have been allowed to meander a bit (and the great ones take full advantage).

46. Chris says:

I’m not sure how the plot of the movie would go, especially with Coach and Tami being in Philly, the rest of the cast being in Texas, but PLEASE MOTHER OF ALL THAT IS HOLY make this happen! I don’t care how successful it is or isn’t, please make this happen! Don’t toy with us like this and then pull the rug out from underneath us down the road.

47. Russ says:

To the producers: I will watch this movie opening night, buy it several times over on pay-per-view, and guarantee I’ll even buy it down the road on Blu-Ray! I’d follow coach anywhere… he is an inspiration!

48. Amanda says:

I’m not sure. I really, REALLY loved where the show left off. After a couple of mediocre middle seasons, FNL had an extraordinary final season, and left on such an incredibly high note. Possibly changing that feeling that the show left off with might also cheapen it.

49. Jean DiGiacomo says:

Yes!! To a FNL movie!!!

50. Maya says:

I’m split on this one. I would love to see more of Eric and Tami Taylor, but without characters like Tim Riggins, I’m not sure that it would have the same magic as the show.