Emmys

Emmy Nominees Flummoxed by Snub of Parks and Recreation's Nick Offerman

Does Nick Offerman’s Emmy snub have you staring at Ron Swanson’s Pyramid of Greatness and wondering what went wrong — especially since the third season of NBC’s buzzed-about Parks and Recreation picked up nods in the Best Comedy Series and Lead Actress in a Comedy (for Amy Poehler) categories? Well, take heart in the knowledge that you are not alone with your dark feelings.

“I’m terribly sad about Nick Offerman. I’m quite confused by that [snub],” Michelle Forbes, nominated as Best Supporting Actress in a Drama for her work in AMC’s The Killing, told TVLine about a Supporting Comedy Actor race that involves four men from Modern Family (Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Ed O’Neill, Eric Stonestreet, and Ty Burrell), and one each from Two and a Half Men (Jon Cryer) and Glee (Chris Colfer).

Offerman’s nominated costar, Poehler, was even more blunt in her conversation with us: “It’s total bull shiz that Nick didn’t get recognized, but I fully expect that to be happening next season. Ron Swanson would be proud of the show getting a nod and wouldn’t want the attention. But I’ll say what Nick Offerman can’t and wouldn’t say, which is that he’s the best in the biz, and I don’t quite understand why we don’t see his name there. [But] I’m happy we’ll all be there [for the show's nod].”

Parks and Rec showrunner Mike Schur was similarly vexed. “The first thing I saw was that the show had been nominated, which was amazing. And then the next piece of information I got was that [Offerman] hadn’t been,” Schur said. “It’s a very strong category. There are many, many deserving people. I just personally feel like nobody gave a better performance on TV last year in that category, and maybe any category. So it really bummed me out. He’s kind of our cast MVP, and in many ways our cast leader, and I just think that he’s very special and I hope someday the community agrees with me.”

Perhaps, but first, the community in question will have to stop sustaining itself on a diet of skim milk and fish meat. And if you don’t know what the heck that last sentence means — or even if you do — check out the clip of Offerman as Swanson below. And for all of TVLine’s Emmy coverage, visit our 2011 Emmys hub here, and follow us on Twitter @TVLineNews.

–Additional reporting by Michael Ausiello and Megan Masters

1. Hunter Pink says:

the 4 seconds of Drunk!Ron from the Snake Juice episode are emmy worthy ON THEIR OWN, and that’s not even taking the rest of Nick Offerman’s work into consideration

• Nicole T. says:

Could not possibly agree more! I watched and re-watched those 4 seconds endlessly, and laughed harder and louder every time!

• Marco says:

Absolutely agree. Nick should’ve gotten the nom taken by C. Colfer, whose work (although great and important) was far more dramatic and not comedic. Glee also was horribly erratic and inconsistent (prob because R Murphy seems to be that way) and that slot sshould’ve gone to Community or Cougar Town.

• Lauren says:

Seriously? You think there should be someone instead of Chris Colfer and not less Modern Family adoration? Glee has been terrible this year, but Chris Colfer has still been outstanding. I think they should have nominated Ty Burrell. And that’s it. Bloody limit how many acting noms for each show for each category. It is ridiculous to have only two slots left after one show dominates. Maybe if they deserved it, it would be okay. But they really don’t, IMO. Ron Swanson is a way more memorable character and portrayal than the bland characters on Modern Family. I have watched every episode, and the only actor with a nomination worth performance is Burrell.

• tripoli says:

Nominating Chris Colfer is such a joke. He’s not funny, not that good an actor and has a rather average voice. But he’ll be gone soon enough so I can rest easy. I’m sure if it was 4 characters from Glee nominated you would not be proposing any kind of limit on nominations per show. The men of Modern Family are far more talented then anyone on Glee, but Nick Offerman is leaps and bounds above all of them and it’s a shame he has not been recognized.

• Lime says:

Oh geez. “The Fight” aka the Snakejuice episode is probably my favorite episode of Season 3! Every single player was on their A game, for sure. Ron wearing April’s tiny hat with a big cheesy grin on his face is forever burned into my memory.

I like “Modern Family.” Did they need all of their male leads to be nominated? Not at the expense of my PRex peeps. I just think “Parks and Recreation” is THAT much funnier. It’s crime that only Amy was nominated.

• Josh says:

I do think the 4 MF guys deserve their nominations. I don’t think Chris Colfer is a comedic actor, and Jon Cryer certainly did not deserve a nod.

• flutiefan says:

100% agreed.

• Matt says:

Jon Cryer deserves a nomination just for having to put up with all this Sheen nonsense.

I’m not sure Ron Swanson has every said a word that has not left me laughing or at least amused completely.

• ScrubsGuy says:

I disagree that all 4 MF nominations are deserved (or the other ones). I think they are all wonderful and their ensemble is fantastic, but this is an individual achievement award, not an ensemble. Individually, none of them surpasses the exceptional quality of acting from Nick Offerman – and isn’t that what the “Lead Actor” aware is supposed to be about?

• Colin says:

• Colin says:

they are all nominated for “supporting actor” not “lead actor” but I do agree that you find a spot for Nick no matter who you cut.

• Name says:

The category was supporting actor.

• ryanandhobbes says:

Jesus, I must have watched that a hundred times.

• Mike says:

with those 4 seconds, he not only should be nominated, but probably winning the award alredy.

• Mandy says:

Thank you! That episode is still on my PVR so that anytime I am feeling down, I can watch that short clip to cheer up. I have busted out laughing at that more than anything else on TV ever. EVER. That should have been enough for the win, let alone a nomination.

2. c says:

Nick Offerman is sooo awesome…how could they not niminate him!? That’s insane!

• Red says:

Good grief, all of you whiners should try being a fan of “Raising Hope”! Warm, well-written, brilliantly acted, and utterly ignored — I guess because it does not excel in political correctness or feature any fawned-over alums of “SNL” or “Friends.” I’ve tried to watch/appreciate “Parks,” but can’t get past the lame, cliched recycling of the “fake documentary format.

3. Ann says:

Nick Offerman was seriously robbed. I cannot even begin to express my disappointment, especially given the fact that Jon Cryer got a nomination over him. This is a joke.
    Ron Swanson is one of the greatest characters–certainly the most unique at this time. Nick brings a flavor of comedy and gravitas that is unlike anything on TV.

4. How Jon Cryer got a nomination over him is just beyond me. Nick Offerman is THE best supporting actor on TV.

5. luke says:

the greats often get overlooked

6. Kari G says:

Thank you so much for this posting. The clip embedded was pure awesomeness. Granted it only re-sparked my fury from this morning and seeing him absent from the list. What a joke.

7. M says:

The omissions of both Nick Offerman and John Noble are the most disappointing and ridiculously egregious snubs, not only of this nomination cycle but of those that came before. The fact that Jon Cryer got a nomination over Offerman merely adds insult to injury. Couple that with The Kennedys garnering as many nominations in the primary categories as Downton Abbey and it looks more and more like The Emmys are the Grammys of Television.

The Kennedys is like the TV equivalent of a movie that went straight to home video and 2 1/2 Men is the TV equivalent of an Ashton Kutcher flick (soon to be even truer)…if they were movies they nor anyone involved in them would garner Oscar attention. That they get Emmy recognition over Offerman, Fringe, and Community soils the respectability and credibility of the Emmys even further.

8. ck says:

Obviously the voters were a bunch of Commie meat-haters.

• Amy says:

“Say no more. You had me at Meat Tornado.” “Give me ALL the bacon and eggs you have.”

• Gabby says:

“You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.”

9. Dan says:

This is, without a doubt, the biggest snub. I dont actually minbd that all 4 guys from modern family are nominated because their nominations are justified by their performances, but to have jon cryer AND chris colfer(nothing against him, but he cried most of the season) nominated over Ron f-ing Swanson is ridiculous. IMHO, Offerman’s performance was better than everyone on the supporting catergory…his mustache alone should’ve gotten him the win.

10. Elizabeth says:

Mike Schur, I am bummed out too!! I think Nick Offerman is very special & was more than deserving of a nomination. Ron Swanson is amazing! There are definitely a few names in this supporting actor category that I don’t think should be there over Nick.

As Amy said, it’s bull shiz.

11. JRussels says:

Award shows are overrated garbage anyway. Nick Offerman is in a prime spot without a nomination. Garbage begets garbage. Perhaps now he can continue making incredibly funny comedy.

12. JJ says:

It’s beyond ridiculous that the Emmy’s nominate FOUR actors from the same show in this category, eliminating possible nods to Offerman, Danny Pudi, Donald Glover, or even Aziz Ansari. Just ludicrous.

• S says:

I completely agree – how do you have four people from the same show in a single category? There has got to be a better way to regulate that.

• flutiefan says:

because those gentlemen were ALL fantastic in their roles. don’t begrudge another ensemble cast because they are just as worthy. the real travesty is that Jon Cryer is in there.

• Annika says:

Just because all four are “fantastic” does not justify all their nominations. Nick Offerman’s acting as Ron Swanson is superior to all four, especially Ed O’Neil.

• flutiefan says:

yes, in fact, it DOES. that is what these awards are for… fantastic actors and their roles. i love Modern Family and feel they equally deserve their noms. i love Parks & Rec and wish Nick was nominated. i cannot stand 2.5 Men and am horrified that Jon Cryer got the nod. really, everyone should be focusing on THAT. Cryer is not fantastic, outstanding, nor superior.
            (Colfer is perfect in his role, but it didn’t feel the least bit comedic to me.)

13. Corinne says:

I think I am with agreement of everyone else, WTF, Jon Cryer. Nick Offerman is brilliant in his performance as Ron Swanson. I can usually separate an actor from the character they portray, but in his case, he is so authentic in the role I forgot he’s not the liberterian, meat-loving Swanson. I do think MF deserved its four slots, but Cryer should be swapped with Offerman, and Colfer with NPH.

14. TrueT says:

You really like the word flummoxed don’t you Slezak?

15. XK says:

I’d have gone with Offerman, Pudi, NPH, and then as the noms.

16. Jon says:

I am blown away by the fact that neither Nick nor Aziz were nominated. Terrible oversight.

The biggest snub of all is nothing for Terriers which was the best show of the season in all honestly.

17. rjmae says:

I don’t know who votes for the Emmys, but they always seem to have their favorites, right now it is Glee and Modern Family. Nick not being nominated is just crazy, but for the second year in a row, his wife Megan was overlooked for her work as Tammy Swanson in the guest actress in a comedy category. It seems one of the requirements to be nominated was you had to have guest starred on Glee. It is ridiculous.

18. Kev says:

I was born ready.

I’m Ron F*#king Swanson.

19. side3 says:

Ron Swanson. In cornrows. Minus half a mustache due to ‘friction’. Comedy Gold.

20. Jess says:

Nick is brilliant and ever so deserving of a nomination. This is beyond disappointing!!

21. Ron Swanson Is The Man says:

Nick Offerman was completely and utterly ROBBED! The most egregious offense of all the snubs! He is absolutely brilliant! Ron Swanson is an all-time great TV character. Glad to know that people are speaking out about it. Seriously Emmy voters? There is not enough space or time to list everything wonderful about this actor and character.

22. bmill2 says:

There is no way Modern Family deserved 4 entrants in the supporting actor category. We get it, its socially relevant and popular but 4 spots, really? Nick Offerman did comedic work equal to at least 3 if not all four of those actors. And this is coming from someone who very much likes Modern Family. And Jon Cryer should never be nominated period. Two and Half Men is CRAP

23. Amber says:

It is upsetting. Modern Family is such a great show, but 4 spots??? Really???? Other shows deserve their actors to be nominated just as much, and Nick Offerman is the perfect example of that. I also would have gone with Danny Pudi and Neil Patrick Harris. Those 3 should have gotten nominated over Chris Colfer and Jon Cryer and one of the Modern Family guys.

24. Tammy two says:

Ron Swanson already won the Dorthy everytime smithe award he needs nothing else. Unless it comes wrapped in bacon.

25. Looking at who was nominated, I am actually saddened that Offerman was so overlooked. He not only makes rather pedestrian lines funny, he has to overcome Aziz Ansari’s total lack of acting ability or comic timing.

26. Fronk says:

I’m not at all surprised.

Duke Silver was similarly snubbed at The Grammys. Hi-Ho Duke, and Memories…of Now were two of the greatest CD’s of the past 10 years…

27. Tammy says:

Even though I wasn’t a fan of AMC’s The Killing, I love Michelle Forbes, and reading this only makes me happier that she finally got an Emmy nomination after all the great performances she has done over the years. Talented woman, good taste, class act.

28. captjojo says:

I adore Ron Effing Swanson, ever so much. And Nick got way snubbed. He’ll probably need to wait til he goes on and does something dramatic to get the Emmy love. I always felt Bryan Cranston got robbed for his comic genius on MITM (by far the funniest thing on that show), but he gets the love now with the drama.

29. T says:

It’s beyond ridiculous that he wasn’t nominated He has had so many great moments this season but the sight of him with burnt off eyebrows after the Lil Sebastian memorial service made me spit out my drink. No words even necessary. Perfection!

30. E. says:

His delivery of “what the f*** is a German muffin?” was worth a nomination alone, at least.

31. John says:

I think that 4 noms for MF is a bit much, though every single one of them deserved it. Jon Cryer? Not so much. Don’t watch Glee so can’t say anything about Chris. But Offerman should have definitely been nominated over at least Cryer.

32. Liv says:

I swear, if next year Ashton Kutcher gets nominated and Nick doesn’t, I will be all sorts of pissed. I adore Chris’ work, but it wasn’t near comedy this past season. In my humble opinion, Eric Stonestreet wasn’t funnier than Ed, Ty or Jesse this MF season, and wouldn’t stand out if Jesse wasn’t there to support him.

33. I look at this list and it’s just a who’s-who of shows I think are good–but nowhere near as good as their reps. “Glee” and “Modern Family” are about as overrated as you can get without the show ACTUALLY being bad.

34. Sarah says:

It’s not going to happen, but I think it’d be great if whoever won this category symbolically gave the award to Offerman to say to the Emmy voters that something like this cannot happen if they want to continuing to be taken seriously.

35. Jon says:

I think the reason that 4 of the Modern Family guys were nominated because a lot of Emmy voters have been arguing that “Ed O’ Neill should be nominated. he was snubbed last year. He has contributed so much to television that many people. He should be nominated” I feel like people should be nominated for the work they do, not their work as past roles. I know Ed O’Neill as an good actor, not an “OUTSTANDING” actor. Especially considering how Ty Burrell or Eric Stonestreet act, he doesn’t even come close to the emotions or comedic performances. Jesse Tyler Ferguson was nominated, and I don’t know why. It’s maybe because Stonestreet complimented him in his scenes as an actor. Jesse alone isn’t an outstanding actor, but with Eric he is. I think it should have been Eric Stonestreet and Ty Burrell (not O’Neill or Jesse Tyler Ferguson).

About Chris Colfer…I get the fact that he is NOT at ALL funny on Glee. The category is outstanding actor in a Comedy Series. He alone doesn’t have to be comedic/funny. The reason Laura Linney or Edie Falco are nominated because there are other (minor) characters who represent the comedic genre. Therefore, these shows come under Dark Comedy (aka Dramedy). Regardless of how bad the storyline went after the Darren Criss boyfriend storyline….Colfer still presented his best representation of an only gay teenager at his school. That has to be given some credit (he leaves Glee next season, so I feel bad for him).

As for Cryer, he is popular among the Emmy Voters. Sometimes, people need to know you well so you get nominated. I really have to agree that Offerman should have nominated. I guess Emmy voters thought that Offerman is a strong contender, but argued over Ed O’Neill so much that they took off Offerman / Aziz Ansari / Oliver Platt / many other acts. I still am surprised to say “How the HECK did Modern Family take up FOUR (4) slots?!!!” It doesn’t even leave room for many shows like Big Bang Theory or the Big C or Parks n Rec or Raising Hope.

36. flutiefan says:

how you people feel about the multiple nods for Modern Family is how i feel about the multiple nods for Mad Men.

37. Susie says:

The opening scene of “Fancy Party” when Ron Swanson pretends to pull his tooth at a meeting is literally the funniest thing I’ve ever seen on television.

38. Joseph says:

Nick Offerman by himself deserved all four nominations of the nominations Modern Family got… so the nominations would’ve been
    Nick Offerman
    Nick Offerman
    Nick Offerman
    Nick Offerman
    …and Dani Pudi (also snubbed)

39. Denise says:

I CANNOT believe Nick did not get nominated. I like Modern Family and all of the actors. But NOBODY had a more consistent funny performance than Nick Offerman for 3 straight years! He deserves not only the nomination, but he deserves the WIN! We love you Nick!

40. Carrie says:

He deserved a nomination, without a doubt. Ron Swanson is the best- my favorite sight gag will forever be Ron sprinting towards the picnic table after Leslie forced the past Park Directors to take a nature walk. Also, Ron reminiscing over his scrapbook of Mulligan’s steaks, which went back 20 years, and yet Ron looks the exact same in every single photograph (“look at me, just a kid”).

I’m consoling myself with the knowledge that this season is introducing Tammy 2, which already has me hyped with anticipation- Patricia Clarkson and Nick Offerman!!