TVLine Items: Vampire Diaries Dish, Shield Vet Joins Drew Peterson Pic, OTH Encore and More

The Vampire Diaries will kick off its third season on Sept. 15 with — yep, you guessed it — a big party! “Our first episode is Elena’s 18th birthday,” exec producer Julie Plec tells TV Guide Magazine. “But as is the pattern in Mystic Falls, the event never reaches its climax.”

Speaking of Elena, her love life, as expected/counted on, will only get supernaturally complicated. Says Plec, “[O]ver the course of the season, Elena will be struggling with a deep, deep attraction toward Damon. That’s going to be a big problem for her.”

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well….

The Shield alum Catherine Dent has joined the cast of Lifetime’s Untouchable: The Drew Peterson Story, starring Rob Lowe, TVLine has learned. She’ll play Sheryl, ill-fated Stacy’s (Kaley Cuoco) BFF who had a hand in getting Drew hauled off to jail. Also, Lost alum/Tom Cruise cousin William Mapother has been cast as Drew’s stepbrother, Variety reports.

Hot Shot: Rob Lowe as Suspected Wife-Killer Drew Peterson

• Supernatural‘s Alona Tal has joined FX’s superhero pilot Powers, a rep for the cable net confirms. The Veronica Mars alum broke the news on Twitter, but didn’t provide details about her character. Her casting comes amid buzz that she may be reprising her role as Jo on Supernatural for an episode or two this fall — something a show rep would neither confirm nor deny. In other Supe news, Firefly‘s Jewel Staite will guest star in this season’s third episode as a childhood friend of Sam’s, Zap2it reports.

• Also per Zap2It, actor/musician Tyler Hilton will be a part of One Tree Hill‘s final season, reprising his role of Chris Keller.

• Newcomer Lamorne Morris is joining Fox’s buzzy new Zooey Deschanel sitcom New Girl to fill the void left by original cast member Damon Wayans Jr., who is otherwise engaged to ABC’s Happy Endings, TV Guide Magazine reports. As TVLine first noted, Wayans will still appear in the series pilot, then his “Coach” character will move out.

• NBC is finally confirming the worst kept secret in the soap biz: Deidre Hall is returning to Days of Our Lives. The suds vet will reprise her role as Dr. Marlena Evans beginning Sept. 26. Can Hall’s onscreen leading man Drake Hogestyn (John) be far behind?

1. Dominique says:

Elena will fall in love with Damon, and Tyler Hilton returns to OTH.
    Yep, my life’s all good now! <3

2. Lauren says:

I cannot wait for Damon & Elena’s sizzling chemistry to be the forefront of this season’s The Vampire Diaries! Super excited for bad Stefan too. I can’t wait for the show to be back on TV!

• silly says:

I love that they are doing this attraction towards damon over the whole season. it would be totally out of character if elena would just love him!

• Mia says:

Elena may love him, but as Stefan said well, she’ll never respect him. Damon is psychotic and the day Elena gets with Damon is the day I stop watching Vampire Diaries because that’s character asassination.

• liria234 says:

Yeah, Damon:

1. Murdered her teacher
          2. Raped her friend
          3. Attempted to murder her bff
          4. Murdered her brother
          5. Tortured her boyfriend for years
          6. Violated her body by jamming his blood down her throat by force
          7. Murdered her boyfriend’s bff

How romantic. Aw. He is just proving how much he loves her every time he hurts her. And she likes him now just the way he is. Maybe he will stab her next. Only to save her though! And loving her makes him do CRAZY THINGS. That is how epic their love is. CAN’T WAIT for more Delena.

• Cat says:

Yes to all this. I hope the writers are aware that those who aren’t silly fangirls can’t accept a Damon – Elena relationship. I only justify Elena telling Damon she liked him as he is because he was dying, because i’m sure Elena doesn’t like a killer who doesn’t respect her decisions for who he is! Hopefully!

Elena should be alone for a while or maybe get with Matt again, a human. Their relationahip was never explored.

• Liz says:

OK silly fangirl my @ss…silly little girls Kevin Williamson is the master of love triangles. Putting to people who use to hate each other fall for each other hard and fast is his best asset. So sit down, shut up and watch because come next spring you will all be Damon and Elena fans.

• silly says:

I will never stop watching because Kevin and Julie write fantastic stories and always stay true to their characters! :) I can understand why Elena loves Damon but I can’t see them together as a couple… how could you trust somebody who killed your brother? But we will see what happens over the season and how he could redeem himself.

• Jessica says:

Ugh, i hate this damon/elena thing. I agree with the posters that say it would be out of character for elena to fall for damon. I think that this ‘brothers loving the same girl triangle’ is getting boring, just give damon someone else. PLEASE!

3. Air says:

*nerdgasm*

4. Michelle says:

So that’s the show Jewel was sworn to secrecy on Twitter! I was hoping her mystery gig was SPN!

5. Sivat says:

So excited for the return of Marlena and John!! I haven’t watched Days since they fired Deidre and Drake but I will be tuning back in to see them on September 26.

6. Kate says:

I might be in the minority or just part of the silent TVD fanbase but i really can not be bothered seein a nice lovey Damon and Elena falling for him, i prefer evil bad damon who sleeps around and kills random women! Personally i am more excited about the upcoming Tyler and Caroline stories, Caroline steals the show every week for me even if shes only in the one scene, Elenas storys bore me!

• silly says:

sadly you are in the minority just wait for the comments from those Caaaraaaaazyyyy Damon girls… ;) But I’m on your side girl!

7. Liz says:

So excited for Tyler Hilton’s return to One Tree Hill. That will be fun.

8. Beth says:

Please let Jewel Staite be a love interest for Sam on Supernatural. That would be perfect. But, of course, it would be doomed from the start. I don’t care, I want to see it anyway.

9. Your Mom Goes to College says:

Alona Tal will be playing the character of Zora in the FX pilot Powers.

Filming on the pilot starts tomorrow.

10. Delena attraction and John Black on DOOL…
    What more can a girl ask for?

11. Sharie says:

Can’t stand Elena/Demon on many levels—once a psychopath, always a psychopath.

12. patzors says:

F*CK YES VAMPIRE DIARIES, have waited too long for this! =D

• Danielle H. says:

Ditto, I live for news on it. And hush up all you Damon haters.. IDC that he has done bad crap, he’s coming back from it. And he’s just so dreammmmmmy lmao!

13. Mindi says:

Ugh to Damon/Elena. Whyyy?

14. Susy says:

Personally, I love DELENA!!! I’m a happy camper. TVD already is sizzling hot- it’s about to get hotter!!! DELENA FOREVER!!!

15. Sadie says:

So happy Deidre is returning!! But my favorite character is definitely EJ (played by James Scott)! Did you hear about this really exciting contest to meet James Scott and Joseph Mascolo on the Days set and to appear with them in Soap Opera Digest? Check it out at http://www.classwish.org/days/fame