Glee Exclusive: Darren Criss and Harry Shum Jr. In, Chord Overstreet Out!

It’s a case of good news/bad news for Glee fans.

First the good: Darren Criss (Blaine) and Harry Shum Jr. (Mike) have officially been upgraded to full-time series regulars, effective this fall with the start of Season 3.

And now for the not so good news…

Chord Overstreet‘s series regular option has not been picked up. However, a source close to the show says the actor — who joined the Fox hit last fall in the recurring role of McKinley transfer student Sam Evans — could return as an occasional guest star.

Late Friday, Overstreet issued a cryptic tweet saying, “It’s been a good year. Too bad it’s over. Time for summer and starting fresh.”

Glee Boss Ryan Murphy: ‘Amazing Stories’ Coming for Mercedes, Mike, Tina, and Sue

The news comes two weeks after series creator Ryan Murphy raised eyebrows when he told Ryan Seacrest that most of the show’s primary characters would graduate by the end of next season. “The show to me is about the way you express yourself as you start to move out into the world as a fresh, young person,” he later clarified to TVLine. “Do we really want to have an eight-year [high school] senior? The only way somebody could stay on the show is if they flunk, and that is always a possibility. I think Brittany is pulling straight Fs.”

Thoughts? Bummed about Chord? Psyched about Harry/Darren? Hit the comments!

Want Glee Scoop 24/7? Follow Ausiello on Twitter via @MichaelAusiello

TAGS: , , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, News, Scoop, Spoilers

1. kt says:

NO!!! Not Trouty Mouth!

• Danial says:

I feel happy for Harry & Darren,, but please let Chord!! He is a cute-dorky guys!! U suck Ryan Murphy!! I hate u Ryan Myrphy!!!

• Murphee says:

I am happy that Ryan Murphy has declared that he wants the show to focus on the characters who are currently in the cast especially as they progress towards graduation next year, in order to get more character story continuity but this move to get rid of Sam after introducing the Mercedes/Sam romance and FINALLY giving another character who isn’t Rachel/Finn/Kurt/Blaine something of substance isn’t sitting well. I just hope that the show’s direction stabilizes with the new addition of the new writers that are coming aboard, because the show has seemed to get more progressively chaotic since the first half of S1 (with the exception of the saint Kurt storyline which felt like it overtook everything else in S2).. I hope he doesn’t do the same with the potential Santana storyline as it might feel too “been there/done that” and just fold it into the storylines organically.

• jimmy says:

i totally agree! ryan sucks!

• gleek says:

you suck screw your life , btw darren criss is hot as hell, unlike you assh0le

• Nicky says:

Agreed. I loved Sam. Even though they ever gave him the role that he should have had.

And no offense to Darren Chriss, it’s nice that he gets to stay, but why make such a nonsensical plot-decision and kick out a member of Glee club while keeping someone who doesn’t even go to Mckinley???

• Lily says:

Yes, I do love Kurt, but let him have a long distance relationship with Blaine (sometimes appearing as guest) and let Mercedes keep her Sam…

• Emma says:

He’s transferring to McKinley. And honestly, he’s a better performer than almost everyone on the show, except for Chris and maybe Amber. Maybe.

• Eleanor says:

I’m sorry have you not heard Lea Michele sing or…?

• Andi says:

Personally I agree with Emma. Darren, Chris, and Amber are superior to Lea in my eyes. Lea Michele’s has this habit of cracking notes at the end of them when she’s trying to give them that extra bit of power. She did it all the way through Firework and it made me cringe. She did it a lot in I Dreamed a Dream too. I’m not saying she’s not a strong singer, she’s just not my personal favorite.

• Tamara says:

I agree, Lea Michele…?! Just because Lea doesn’t do a million runs and melismas like Amber has people confused that she’s an inferior singer. In Broadway, everything has to be pure and clear and that’s what makes Lea’s voice so stunning. She could do any of those runs and also just sing a song straight and still make it sound beautiful. She is also something we haven’t heard before and she’s introduced a whole generation to a genre and style of singing that we’ve never come across with Barbra songs and musical theatre songs. Also, Chris Colfer is not the singer everyone makes him out to be, we saw him live and he wasn’t very good. Thin voice and sounded like he was wailing all throughout whereas Lea’s voice, while high pitched like Chris’, rung out strong and clear. Amber is fabulous, but there are a million R&B/Soul singers who sound a lot like her. Anyways, not to start a brawl lol, I think Lea, Amber, Chris, Darren and Naya are all amazing singers, but there is a reason Ryan Murphy continues to showcase Lea Michele’s voice in every episode above the others.

• gleek says:

your sooooooooo right lea rules the show but without kurt and blaine it would be CRAP !!!!!!!!! im in love with gaysssssss ♥

• Kelsey says:

Lea Michele definitely has a great voice, however she tends to do a lot of copying when covering songs. All the little riffs and her enunciation ends up being way to similar to the original. If she could manage to make a song her own, then she would be the top. I would really like to see her sing soft and genuine. No belting, no squinching her eyes, just let the purity of a song shine through.

• Kris says:

i honestly really hate her when she belts high notes because the way she belts becomes really, really bland to the point that she doesn’t have the emotion… i love her singing if she sings in a simple way… in fact the best songs where i really appreciated her singing are “Need You Now” and “Jar of Hearts”, the worst would be “On My Own”

• H says:

I’m sorry but Darren can’t act, he can sing but he’s not that good, and he was nothing more than a plot device in season two. Chord should stay and not Darren hands down.

• For Real says:

Hmmm, really, Darren can’t act? He has taken on some of the more challenging scenes on the show. And he is a great singer, musician, songwriter, live on-stage performer. I don’t know what show you are watching? Congrats to Darren on the move up. And Harry. He can sing but he does what he does best – dance. He choreographed the opening act for the live show. Now for Chord. I like Chord. He is a pretty good singer but his storyline was weak. He wasn’t given the chance to show his stuff. I imagine he will be transferred out because one of his parents found a job in another city since they are both unemployed. Just because Chord won’t be back doesn’t mean you should, unjustifiably, run down Darren.

• Ria says:

@For Real

Or you know, maybe they just seriously don’t believe Darren is a good actor. I’ve followed Darren from the Starkid days; and as a Drama/Performance student, I can tell you that on stage he dominates the show, but on television is acting is sub par. If you compare the emotional weight of Sam breaking down in Rumors to, for example, Blaine’s goodbye to Kurt in Born This Way, You’ll find that the former connected fully to the audience in a fantastically subtle way, whereas Darren’s performance was over the top and filled with unecessary, exaggerated expressions during a moment that should have been painful and quiet, seeing as he was leaving his boyfriend. While I greatly respect the talent that is Darren Criss, I don’t believe Chord Overstreet is a lesser actor in any sense, and often find him more compelling to watch and easier to connect to that Blaine Warbler/Anderson.

As for Chord leaving, The #DontCutTheChord campaign remains as strong as ever, with over 11,000 signatures on our petition in only four days, and over 50 spots raised by sales on Billionaire. If you want to speak up and keep Chord on Glee, sign the petition here: http://twitition.com/ykbuw ,buy Billionaire on Itunes, and help us get #Dontcutthechord trending on Twitter!

• ellediva says:

Don’t understand Chord’s predicament as I was starting to enjoy a Sam and Mercedes pairing. This sucks ass big time.

• Kathi says:

First it’s not clear that he is kicked out and then…the show named Glee and not McKinley…so why is a student from another glee club inferior to the New Directions? ;)

• Amber says:

Oh man, that is literally what I was going to type! You beat me to the punch. =)

• Todd says:

I’m stoked about Darren, I don’t really care for Harry; his character really isn’t interesting and doesn’t add to the show. However I am PISSED about Chord! I do feel that his character ended up in an awkward weak spot at the end of the season, but I think he is a lot more promising that Harry who doesn’t sing, and his dancing is repetitive and consequently uninteresting.

• James says:

Chord’s future is assured. With obvious talents like his, hollywood would be foolish not to snatch him up for another series. Chin up Chord. Your fans await the next chapter of your career.

• Viv says:

i wholeheartedly agree! trouty-mouth, you are stunningly gorgeous, funny, ironic with a really sold emotional acting palette in yer arsenal — so sorry about the job ending (he & amber had such great romantic chemistry & it was just getting started!!!) go make movies brad jr — yer gonna be fine! gorgeous!

• Stina says:

OMG MORE DARREN. to be frank-that’s that only reason I watchthe show anymore.

You know-you makers of glee-just so you know-the only people that watch your show anymore are major geeks and the die hard Harry potter fans. Without Darren-we wouldn’t watch-and you’d be screwed. So I’m pleased about this because Darren is such an amazing person. Who do you know that does covers of Disney songs on YouTube because they love them? That’s riigjt-Darren. To make season three even better….sing some songs written by Darren!!!!!

• plm says:

I would watch if it didn’t have Darren. His character is way creepy and quite possibly a future serial killer, assuming he isn’t one already.

• Emily says:

I do not like you speaking for everyone. I watch the show because I love all of the characters-ESPECIALLY CHORD’s CHARACTER “SAM”!!!!! HE NEEDS TO STAY A REGULAR CHARACTER ON THE SHOW!!!!

• H says:

Oh my God, another annoying Darren fangirl. Just because you watch for Darren doesn’t mean everyone does. Actually, only like a few hundreds out of the 10 million people that watch Glee, started watching for him. Glee was huge way before Darren. Darren’s character adds nothing to the show, and the only people that think he’s the greatest thing to happen on Glee are his annoying fangirls that started watching for him (whom are, like I said, only a few hundreds of 10 million), when Glee has already won many awards and was huge in season one.

• s says:

H – you really need to watch somthing else as you clearly have no idea about Glee. Darren’s character made series 2 and the storyline with Kurt Dave and Darren was brilliant.
          Darren can act as well as any other member of the cast and can sing better than any of the others.
          What happens to Mercedes now then, shedoesn’t need any more heartache. KEEP SAM FOR MERCEDES’S SAKE

• jen says:

For the record, not every Darren fangirl started watching Glee for him. I’ve watched the show since the beginning, had never heard of Darren Criss before he started on the show, and I am now a bigger fan of his than most of the other actors on the show.

• gleek says:

you suck so bad darren is one of the most talented guys in glee ,really think about glee without him.Kurt would be so depressed because he would be alone i mean hes the only gay guy before blaine was into the show if we dont count karovsky whom wont go out the closet. the warblers wouldnt exist (amazingly selled album btw) the prom dance would be so diferent. MAKE UP YOUR FREAKING MIND BEFORE YOU TALK!!!

• SUPPORT CHORD says:

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT! Buy “Billionaire” and “Baby” (SINGLE VERSIONS!) on iTunes to support Chord. Let’s get those song up the charts!!

• Andi says:

The day they showed that terrible Justin Beiber episode was the day I lost every ounce of tolerance for Chord’s character. I didn’t care for him much from the start and about the only song he did that I enjoyed was the ‘Lucky’ duet. I’m not sorry to see him go.

• Daniel says:

I used to watch Glee because the FIRST SEASON was amazing… Now, I just watch it because of Diana Agron. However, Ryan Murphy has no direction and pushes the homosexualism so far, forgeting the characters who play them. I’m not a hater, but Chord’s character is deeper than Blaine. Also, Sue has become a psycho bitch – where’s her spirit and motivation? Well, Nip/Tuck had the same destiny.

• gleek says:

Sam deeper than blaine? are you kidding? he only shows feelings for Quinn and Mercedes in the last ep. blaine is really emotional and gives glee a touch of sensibility while an extra amazing talent

• mikeysf65 says:

I’m totally bummed that Chord wasn’t picked up! He would have made an excellent permanent addition to the new cast. Hopefully there will be a change of heart.

• Gleek2 says:

I like Sam and the storyline he was given. he proved his worth with the changes he had during the season [Quinn, football, homeless, Mercedes]I agree there needs to be a few characters and storylines toned down a bit, and some of the other cast allowed to showcase their talents. I know several families that had to stop letting their younger kids watch because of the sexual content; they felt they could have written a bit differntly and still addressed the issue. The kids loved the music and dancing [kinda High Schoo Musical-ish]I personally think these are well written about the things teens deal with today. I don’t hsve teens at home anymore but I love the topics [OCD, sexuality, body image, peer pressure].

My least fav character this year – Lauren. Not because of her appearance, but the type of character she plays, they tried to make her a “stong woman” , both physically and mentally, but they missed the mark and she comes off slut-y, female-macho, and overbearing. I have a hard time with that type of character with Puck.

Still a Gleek, will hope the graduation of our current stars will not kill the show. too bad they didn’t think ahead and bring them in as frosh to give them a 4 year run.

• ali says:

i know!….im soo upset that chord isn’t coming back! he was my absolute favorite character on glee! he was like the cutest one, too! the show won’t be the same without him!=( please keep chord<3

2. Brittany says:

NOOOOOOOOO! I love Chord. =( Happy about Darren and Harry though.

3. Shannon says:

I like Chord’s character. It is a shame to see him go. Happy about Darren and Harry!

• 8daysaweek says:

This. I guess of the three of them Chord would probably be the one I would be least sad to see go – I love Blaine and I love Mike Chang’s dancing, if not the character so much.
      But I’m kind of tired of Glee’s merry-go-round of characters and trying to get the audience invested in characters and storyline then unceremoniously dropping them.

4. Ali says:

Bummer, I was really wanting to see what they do with Sam and Mercedes.

• Shannon says:

I forgot about that!! You’re right! I was looking forward to that too…

• Jessica says:

Those were my thoughts exactly. I liked the character, and I like Chord. I am kind of bummed. No offense to Harry/Mike Chang, but he didn’t have any reason for us to get behind his character.

• Julie says:

Same here. I was really looking forward to that storyline–why even write that moment in if they weren’t going to keep Chord around? FINALLY Mercedes gets a love interest, and now they’re dropping him?

• Sharona says:

Right? I’ve been waiting for Mercedes to get a boyfriend, dangit!

• Tiffany says:

Me too! I was so happy for her. They really looked like they could make it work. Obviously, Ryan just loves to piss us all off.

• Claire says:

Poor Chord–it was probably the kiss of death for him when they put him with Mercedes, because GOD FORBID that Mercedes could have a boyfriend unlike EVERY other girl on the show (most of whom have had several). I’ll miss ya, Troutymouth! :(

• Maria says:

Everyone’s totally forgetting about the Glee project winner and the other supposed new characters RM& Co are bringing in to play freshmen who’ll continue when the current kids graduate. Probably one of them is going to be a love interest for Mercedes-which I remember hearing was the proposed plan ages before the surprise Samcedes hook-up (though I did like the idea of them together)

• dan says:

The Glee project is so lame and over produced the auto tuning is actually worse the glees. i was never a big fan of the sam character but hes ten times better then anyone on that ridiculous spin off

• gleekrus says:

watching the show the glee project, they said to the those on the glee project , that the winner will get a 7 episode storyline with sue.. sue will be dating the dad of who ever the winner is – character and they wont like sue which will make them enemies..so the winner could be a guy or girl and wont really be a love interest for mercedes.

• laylagalise says:

Me, too! I also think that Sam’s storyline (with his family living in a motel) is an important one and it needs to be represented on Glee. I like Mike Chang and his fabulous feet a lot, but he’s less interesting than Sam.

• Suppose says:

Supposedly Chord is gone. I haven’t heard it from Ryan Murphy’s mouth, only a tweet from Chord which could mean, or not mean, Cord is gone. And Darren and Mike have not commented, or any other member of the cast. But suppose, and just suppose, Sam is not gone, just Chord. Maybe someone is coming in to play Sam and pick up with Mercedes where they left off. They do it on the soap operas all the time. Hmmm.

5. Dan R. says:

Well, so much for Mercedes having bigger storyline – I guess no romance once again for her, unless she’s going after Mike.

6. Ashley says:

Ugh. Which means that any semblance of a real storyline Mercedes could have is now out the window. Happy for Harry, good for Darren, but poor Chord.

• Raya says:

Writing just started and Ryan has said Mercedes will have a bigger storyline. While things are subject to change, obviously, I can see her getting a bigger storyline since she hasn’t had one before. It doesn’t have to be guy related–and, even if it is, there’s still The Glee Project winner storyline. Could tie in. :)

• Lesa says:

Not having a boyfriend does not mean Mercedes can’t have a significant role to play next season.

• s says:

Thank you! You don’t need a bf to be important and talented in your own right!

• frankieblueeyes says:

unlike this season — where she had NO storyline whatsoever — what a waste of talent — why exactly does chord have to go?? the homeless storyline, missing his birthday, mercedes love interest was lovely and about as deep as gless has gotten — c’mon, ryan! jeez!

7. HazzyDee says:

Thank God! Now, we don’t have to see Mercedes/Sam hook up! No big loss.

• Jessica says:

Are you serious? Just because you didn’t want to see a certain story line, that is no excuse for you to be thanking god for the fact that a talented rising star has essentially lost his job.

• HazzyDee says:

Erm….wow! I honestly meant no harm by the “Thank God” remark, sorry to cause offence, even if I think you may have slighty overreacted, still I apologise. Can I just add though, Chord is talented and I don’t doubt we’ll see him soon in a BETTER role….he was wasted on Glee, especially towards the end. In my opinion!

8. LF says:

NO!!! I love Sam! I was happy he and Mercedes were hooking up at the end of the season, since he’d had a rough couple months living in the hotel with his fam…and was hoping we’d see more of him this season! I’d much rather see much more of him than Mike! =(

9. Emily says:

Mercedes finally gets a guy and this is what they do to that . . .last season was WEAK . . .with way too much Gwyneth Paltrow . . . I won’t be back for another season.

10. Allie says:

Aw thats a shame. :/ I was starting to like his character more. And I wanted to see what happened to Sam/Mercedes story line. I don’t get why that means he has to leave though. I mean Mike hasn’t been a series regular until now and he still showed up in the show often.

• Allie says:

Though I am really happy about Darren and Harry. Especially Harry, its about time he became a main character.

• Sue says:

i know, right! i don’t see the point either. well, hopefully the script changes and he returns soon!

11. scooterbeanbag says:

Good Riddance. Chord is a horrible excuse of an actor. Sam was basically an insignificant cast member anyway.

• KlaineGLEEK says:

Yeah!, Chord was kind of bored… I never liked him…
      But I’m so happy about Darren!!, I love KLAINE!!

• Katie says:

Finally! I thought I was the only one who disliked Chord after reading these posts. He was OK, but I am definitely glad he is one of the ones who will be leaving. Love Brittany, Santana, Kurt and Quinn!

• Tina says:

I like Sam as character till he broke up with Queen, after that his character was borring and meaningless. It is true that mike didn’t talk much till now but is important for tina’s storry line, for Blaine…I think I don’t have to explaine that (love Klaine BTW). Sorry for bad English
      And if I may add…If they break up finn and rachel again…that will be stupid because it get kinda borring…so I hope Finn and Rachel won’t be the main characters anymore I wont to see more of Marcedes, Tina, Mike and Artie.
      And also (I hope I want upset some people) I don’t think Brittany and Santan will end up together….I prefer Brittany with Artie

12. Jen says:

I don’t mind.
    it’s how the show works. I love Sam as a character but these are the writers, and directors and producers. What’s going to happen is up to them and no amount of whining on our part is going to change that.
    I’m excited to see what’s in store for season 3, regardless who gets bumped up or not.

13. Yvonne says:

But…I was teased with Samcedes. You can’t just snatch that away. NOOOOOOO!!!!

14. Leanne says:

So Happy that Harry and Darren go the regular gig!

15. Sara says:

Soooo happy about Darren and Harry.
    Honestly, I don’t really mind about Sam. I love Chord, but Sam never really clicked for me.

16. ErixN says:

I am happy for Darren and Harry, but why would they get rid of Chord? He’s great! Ryan has been talking about new blood… why get rid of a new character that people liked? I was looking forward to the Sam and Mercedes story as well.

17. celita says:

What? I can’t believe it! Sam was one of the few guys in Glee that I actually liked! T_T So not fair, Sam was such a decent guy!

18. AndyLuvr says:

Nice effort by Chord Overstreet but the character was lame from day 1 and even that forced recession/babysitter story point couldn’t save Sam Evans.

19. Alex says:

So there’s this whole “Mercedes finally is getting a boyfriend” storyline hinted at the end of last season’s finale, and now they’re likely not bringing the potential boyfriend back for the third season? Seriously, Ryan? I’m sorry, but I really enjoyed Sam. This is silly.

20. april-ann says:

Wow, what a scoop! Good work, Nellie and Michael!

21. Krystal says:

YES. YES. YES.

Its definitely what the show needed. Chord brought nothing new to the table. He was rather flat, and boring as a character. He should have never been brought in in the first place.

Harry Shum Jr can continue to do the same he’s been doing the past two seasons.

And if your going to keep Blaine, transfer him over to Mckinnley please. Dalton Academy was fun for a while, but if they keep it up for the third season, its gonna get old real quick. I already found it random when Blaine would randomly pop in from time to time after Kurt transferred back.

So please, transfer Blaine to Mckinnley and have him take the lead role over Finn because its already been 2 yrs of pretending that Finn is the best male singer in Glee Club, and I haven’t bought it for a second. Nobody has.

• Meg says:

I agree with most of what you say. Darren (Blaine) should def transfer to McKinley because although Cory (finn) is cute, he can’t really sing or dance all that well, and Darren has an amazing voice and I would LOVE to see more of him. I do feel bad for Chord, though, especially because I was looking forward to Samcedes.

22. Dannie says:

D: NO SAMCEDES?!

23. Raya says:

I’m thrilled about Darren and Harry. I’m a bit sad about Chord, but eh… that’s how things go. I am surprised he’s the one leaving, though, since his character was supposed to be a freshman and they’re going to need those younger characters.

24. Julia says:

I’m bummed. He was great, and they didn’t do anything with him. His voice is so much better than Finn’s, but he didn’t get to sing so much as one song with Rachel? What was up with that?

25. Brittany says:

Well that sucks! Sam was one of the only reasons why I watched the show!

26. allison says:

bye bye trouty mouth!! Hello Blaine. yum.

• anon says:

Blaine=yuck. I’ve never liked his character that much and while his singing is good I can’t stand to watch him bounce around maniacally all over my tv screen.

27. JDHetherington says:

I love how Sam was brought in to account for them possibly losing some cast members when they graduate….and they promoted Darren Criss before they did him…. I mean at least Harry Shum Jr’s character goes to their school. I don’t get why Chord Overstreet can’t just stay as a guest star for another season, but still be a part of New Directions. That’s what Harry did. My guess is that’s what they’re going to do with Lauren to. Maybe the 12th slot on New Directions is cursed. Matt joined in Episode 4 of Season 1, and left in between Season 1 and 2. Sam joined in Episode 4 of Season 2, and now it seems the same as him. I really fear for the person replacing Sam.

28. Gabby says:

Just another reason i’m glad i’m not watching next season. This show was good the first 12 episodes after that it just went way down hill and now it’s a joke.

• Kari G says:

I’m starting to lean towards this decision as well… second season was a joke and now they are getting rid of Chord. If they are going to continue to make bad decisions then I’m not going to continue to stick around to watch.

29. Scott says:

Will his abs be staying around?

30. Kelly says:

Talk about awkward. Isn’t he still on tour with the entire cast over in Europe?

31. jmd says:

wait..will he really not be coming back? i mean, he was a “guest star” last season and he was in almost every episode, so maybe it will be that way again?…why did they even devote time to him if he was just going to be written off? omg this show i swear

32. Michelle says:

I’m so excited for Darren and Harry. They definitely deserve it, but I don’t understand why Chord isn’t being picked up. I thought his character was going to have a continued storyline with Mercedes and then this :/

33. Amy says:

Very happy to see Darren made a regular, now time to transfer Blaine to Mckinley. I am not too upset to see Chord leave.

34. Jared says:

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?!?!?! I hate you Ryan Murphy! I’ve given up on Glee!!!

35. Victoria says:

Really? Sam was a boring character but Chord is a way better actor than Darren. Darren is a great musician but that’s about it. I love Harry and he did work hard for 2 seasons so I guess he deserves it.

• Kristen says:

Agreed. In every respect. I would have much rather seen Darren go.

• Paris says:

Thank you I thought I was the only one who thought darren should go. The guy is a terrible actor and blaine is a boring character. I dislike him for being the star in season 2 while there were other new direction characters not having a story line.

• jb says:

Totally agree! I’ve never warmed up to Blaine.

36. Christy says:

Bummed out about Chord. I thought he was a great addition to the show. Boo!

37. RyanD says:

Damn, well that’s a downer.
    I guess Mercedes is doomed to storylines about wishing she was in the spotlight and craving food forever more.

38. Andie says:

So thrilled for Darren! and bummed for Chord.

39. Princess Adora says:

At least we still have Darren. I LOVE him! I wonder how the Mercedes/Sam relationship will play out now :S

40. Tina says:

You have to be kidding me! Why take him away? He’s great. I swear if this is true I’m not watching next season.

41. Melissa says:

WHAT THE BLOODY HELL!!!!! Way to go RIB, throw out an actor who can actually ACT! I am appalled that he has been bypassed for Darren Criss who yeah may be able to sing and flit around but can’t act himself out of a friking paperbag. It is literally painful to watch him onscreen and his character has had no development other than the fact that he was shoehorned into being Kurt Hummel’s BF because of a bunch of annoying fangirls and oh let us not forget the nice chunk of change that he earned them via Itunes. This just goes to show that even the creators of the show have forgotten what Glee used to be. Season 2 was a total bust and letdown. I know that making money is important but what ever happened to the true meaning of art? Keep your cashcow! I’ll find another show to watch. Because to be quite truthful, RIB managed to destroy my fave character Kurt with that joke of a bullying storyline. Sam was a breath of fresh air. I grew very attached to his character because he reminded me alot of myself. Yeah I’m female but I am a geek and I used to try and hide it so that people would like me. There are many others who related to him on a personal level. Plus the biggest thing HE COULD ACT!!!! They have really let me down. Oh and Harry Shum yeah he doesn’t even talk. He just dances, has abs, and shares sweet adorable asian kisses with Tina. Great choices RIB. Great choices indeed. Smucks!

• Luke says:

Whilst I agree that Darren shouldn’t have been signed as a regular, I think Harry has paid his dues and should be rewarded. It’s understandable that Chord wouldn’t become a regular however, I personally think that he should be one before Darren. They might bring Chord back for season four. If they’re dumping the majority of the cast, they might want to bring back a familiar face so we’ll see.

• Mia says:

How is it Harry’s fault that he’s been on since season one like everyone else (though not from the pilot), and that they never developed his character? Yeah, I’m upset about Chord leaving, but Harry’s been on for two seasons and Chord for one, so it makes more sense to keep Harry.

Plus, the news about Darren shouldn’t be a surprise-it was rumored that Fox was so happy about Teenage Dream’s popularity that they decided to keep Darren right away!

• stinasings says:

Of course they were gonna keep Darren over Chord. Barring the the Fleetwood Mac eppy,SamCedes and the Comeback eppy, Sam wasnt really given that much to do. He dated Quinn,Santana,we were randomly told he had siblings and his fam was affected by the recession, but overall not much was done with Sam over S2. Blaine however came on in Nov and took Glee by storm in the span of 8 mos Klaine was on the cover of EW, Darren doing a slew of interviews with major media outlets, a Warblers’ album, Klaine skits on tour, and he is half of one of the most popular pairings in 2010-2011 TV season. IMO Darren is a fine actor as well as Chord, but Darren really took off why wouldnt they captalize on that.

• anon says:

Darren isn’t that great of an actor and I find it hard to watch him zipping around all over the place when he sings. He’s way to bouncy and over the top.

• Kate says:

I’m going to respectfully disagree that Chord is the stronger actor of the three. The scene at the hotel where he broke down and started to cry during “Rumours” was incredibly forced and uncomfortable to watch. And aside from Sam’s father losing his job, what major development did this character honestly have? He spent most of the season trying to be popular. Hardly groundbreaking. That said, I’m saddened to see Chord go as I wanted to see what they had planned for Sam and Mercedes.

• L says:

^ As opposed to Darren’s pro acting skills? Um did you even see ‘Blame It On The Alcohol’ when he attempted to cry. That was just cringeworthy. I agree though Chord isn’t amazing but they both have their short comings. Samcedes felt really forced. It was like they had two single people and so they decided to put them together. I doubt it would last although it would be a good way for Mercedes to get he feet wet in the dating pool.

42. Erica says:

Sam was one of the only reasons that I watched Glee this season, what with the fact that Finchel makes me want to punch Ryan Murphy in the face and no Brittana AT ALL, even though Brittany broke up with Artie. Now I don’t really want to watch it that much. Thank you so much, Ryan Murphy. AND I was excited for Samcedes.

43. Caitlin says:

I love Darren and am absolutely thrilled that he is now a confirmed series regular. And Harry is amazing so I’m very happy about this as well, but I’m rather upset about Chord. Sam is one of my favorite characters at McKinley.

44. Anna says:

Sam Evans was the only reason I was still watching Glee this season. Getting rid of him would be the last straw for me. I am freaking done with this show.

45. Kim says:

DARREN CRISS!!!!!! <3

This is such awesome news!

46. Sam says:

I adore Harry and Darren, and I honestly couldn’t be happier for them, but what the hell? Worst decision they’ve ever made. And I’m sure they’ll regret it.

47. alisa says:

Theres a rock to my left and a hard place to my right. I would stop watching the show if Darren wasn’t on it, and Harry Shum Jr. deserves to be a regular after two years of being a recurring guest and I just don’t know if I would trade either of them for Chord, but… I love Sam! I love his character so much and he’s dating Mercedes! They’re cute and totally unexpected! Yay! and yet nay!

48. p says:

not so happy. i always wanted fabrevans to be end game! </3 stupid move fox.

49. dj says:

oh good lord..its official this show is nuts, they probably had to make room for the stupid reality show winner..the only reason i watch anymore is for finn/rachel and brittany/santana…im just going to crawl into my season 1 bubble where nothing hurts

50. Ben says:

I would prefer that Darren LEFT!!!! i want Chord to say i dont Care one little bit about Blaine! he’s a jerk!! this Pisses me off!!!!

• Adriana says:

Excuse me? How in the hell is Blaine a jerk?

• Karen says:

Agreed! Kurt deserves SO MUCH BETTER THAN BLAINE!

• K says:

How quickly people forget Kurt’s complete lack of support for Blaine while Blaine was struggling with his sexuality. Not to mention the time Kurt threw Blaine’s painful past in his face in front of Burt and Finn simply because Blaine was hesitant over Kurt’s choice of wearing a kilt to prom. I love Kurt, but he’s hardly a saint.

• Angel says:

They should have kept Sam’s original story as Kurt’s boyfriend. He would have been a great character to be bisexual and teach Kurt that sexuality isn’t so black and white. Instead it’s another plotline they left hanging! Like Duets was unresolved and “someone the world deems more appropriate” is the message they sent. Awful.

And a Sam/Kurt/Blaine triangle would have been interesting… god knows the fanbases were already going head to head anyway! They could have capitalized on it like they have done with Finn/Rachel/Puck and Santana/Brittany/Artie.

• Marcus says:

How dare someone not support the person they have a crush on in dating one of their opposite-sex friends right after refusing to date them. /eyeroll. Anyone who questions their sexuality because of a drunken makeout session is an idiot, and given that Blaine was portrayed as the confident one until they retconned the first half of the season, it was nonsense from the start. Just like the gay-bashing plot device in the prom episode. As someone who’s actually BEEN bashed, I found it disgustingly offensive.