Glee Exclusive: Darren Criss and Harry Shum Jr. In, Chord Overstreet Out!

It’s a case of good news/bad news for Glee fans.

First the good: Darren Criss (Blaine) and Harry Shum Jr. (Mike) have officially been upgraded to full-time series regulars, effective this fall with the start of Season 3.

And now for the not so good news…

Chord Overstreet‘s series regular option has not been picked up. However, a source close to the show says the actor — who joined the Fox hit last fall in the recurring role of McKinley transfer student Sam Evans — could return as an occasional guest star.

Late Friday, Overstreet issued a cryptic tweet saying, “It’s been a good year. Too bad it’s over. Time for summer and starting fresh.”

Glee Boss Ryan Murphy: ‘Amazing Stories’ Coming for Mercedes, Mike, Tina, and Sue

The news comes two weeks after series creator Ryan Murphy raised eyebrows when he told Ryan Seacrest that most of the show’s primary characters would graduate by the end of next season. “The show to me is about the way you express yourself as you start to move out into the world as a fresh, young person,” he later clarified to TVLine. “Do we really want to have an eight-year [high school] senior? The only way somebody could stay on the show is if they flunk, and that is always a possibility. I think Brittany is pulling straight Fs.”

Thoughts? Bummed about Chord? Psyched about Harry/Darren? Hit the comments!

Want Glee Scoop 24/7? Follow Ausiello on Twitter via @MichaelAusiello

Comments (414)

• NO!!! Not Trouty Mouth!

Comment by kt – July 1, 2011 06:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I feel happy for Harry & Darren,, but please let Chord!! He is a cute-dorky guys!! U suck Ryan Murphy!! I hate u Ryan Myrphy!!!

Comment by Danial – July 1, 2011 10:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I am happy that Ryan Murphy has declared that he wants the show to focus on the characters who are currently in the cast especially as they progress towards graduation next year, in order to get more character story continuity but this move to get rid of Sam after introducing the Mercedes/Sam romance and FINALLY giving another character who isn’t Rachel/Finn/Kurt/Blaine something of substance isn’t sitting well. I just hope that the show’s direction stabilizes with the new addition of the new writers that are coming aboard, because the show has seemed to get more progressively chaotic since the first half of S1 (with the exception of the saint Kurt storyline which felt like it overtook everything else in S2).. I hope he doesn’t do the same with the potential Santana storyline as it might feel too “been there/done that” and just fold it into the storylines organically.

Comment by Murphee – July 2, 2011 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i totally agree! ryan sucks!

Comment by jimmy – July 3, 2011 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • you suck screw your life , btw darren criss is hot as hell, unlike you assh0le

Comment by gleek – July 4, 2011 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. I loved Sam. Even though they ever gave him the role that he should have had.

And no offense to Darren Chriss, it’s nice that he gets to stay, but why make such a nonsensical plot-decision and kick out a member of Glee club while keeping someone who doesn’t even go to Mckinley???

Comment by Nicky – July 1, 2011 11:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes, I do love Kurt, but let him have a long distance relationship with Blaine (sometimes appearing as guest) and let Mercedes keep her Sam…

Comment by Lily – July 2, 2011 03:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He’s transferring to McKinley. And honestly, he’s a better performer than almost everyone on the show, except for Chris and maybe Amber. Maybe.

Comment by Emma – July 2, 2011 06:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’m sorry have you not heard Lea Michele sing or…?

Comment by Eleanor – July 2, 2011 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Personally I agree with Emma. Darren, Chris, and Amber are superior to Lea in my eyes. Lea Michele’s has this habit of cracking notes at the end of them when she’s trying to give them that extra bit of power. She did it all the way through Firework and it made me cringe. She did it a lot in I Dreamed a Dream too. I’m not saying she’s not a strong singer, she’s just not my personal favorite.

Comment by Andi – July 2, 2011 08:32 PM PDT
          • I agree, Lea Michele…?! Just because Lea doesn’t do a million runs and melismas like Amber has people confused that she’s an inferior singer. In Broadway, everything has to be pure and clear and that’s what makes Lea’s voice so stunning. She could do any of those runs and also just sing a song straight and still make it sound beautiful. She is also something we haven’t heard before and she’s introduced a whole generation to a genre and style of singing that we’ve never come across with Barbra songs and musical theatre songs. Also, Chris Colfer is not the singer everyone makes him out to be, we saw him live and he wasn’t very good. Thin voice and sounded like he was wailing all throughout whereas Lea’s voice, while high pitched like Chris’, rung out strong and clear. Amber is fabulous, but there are a million R&B/Soul singers who sound a lot like her. Anyways, not to start a brawl lol, I think Lea, Amber, Chris, Darren and Naya are all amazing singers, but there is a reason Ryan Murphy continues to showcase Lea Michele’s voice in every episode above the others.

Comment by Tamara – July 3, 2011 05:47 AM PDT
          • your sooooooooo right lea rules the show but without kurt and blaine it would be CRAP !!!!!!!!! im in love with gaysssssss ♥

Comment by gleek – July 4, 2011 05:09 PM PDT
          • Lea Michele definitely has a great voice, however she tends to do a lot of copying when covering songs. All the little riffs and her enunciation ends up being way to similar to the original. If she could manage to make a song her own, then she would be the top. I would really like to see her sing soft and genuine. No belting, no squinching her eyes, just let the purity of a song shine through.

Comment by Kelsey – July 8, 2011 03:05 PM PDT
          • i honestly really hate her when she belts high notes because the way she belts becomes really, really bland to the point that she doesn’t have the emotion… i love her singing if she sings in a simple way… in fact the best songs where i really appreciated her singing are “Need You Now” and “Jar of Hearts”, the worst would be “On My Own”

Comment by Kris – September 16, 2011 06:42 AM PDT
        • I’m sorry but Darren can’t act, he can sing but he’s not that good, and he was nothing more than a plot device in season two. Chord should stay and not Darren hands down.

Comment by H – July 2, 2011 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Hmmm, really, Darren can’t act? He has taken on some of the more challenging scenes on the show. And he is a great singer, musician, songwriter, live on-stage performer. I don’t know what show you are watching? Congrats to Darren on the move up. And Harry. He can sing but he does what he does best – dance. He choreographed the opening act for the live show. Now for Chord. I like Chord. He is a pretty good singer but his storyline was weak. He wasn’t given the chance to show his stuff. I imagine he will be transferred out because one of his parents found a job in another city since they are both unemployed. Just because Chord won’t be back doesn’t mean you should, unjustifiably, run down Darren.

Comment by For Real – July 4, 2011 09:49 AM PDT
          • @For Real

Or you know, maybe they just seriously don’t believe Darren is a good actor. I’ve followed Darren from the Starkid days; and as a Drama/Performance student, I can tell you that on stage he dominates the show, but on television is acting is sub par. If you compare the emotional weight of Sam breaking down in Rumors to, for example, Blaine’s goodbye to Kurt in Born This Way, You’ll find that the former connected fully to the audience in a fantastically subtle way, whereas Darren’s performance was over the top and filled with unecessary, exaggerated expressions during a moment that should have been painful and quiet, seeing as he was leaving his boyfriend. While I greatly respect the talent that is Darren Criss, I don’t believe Chord Overstreet is a lesser actor in any sense, and often find him more compelling to watch and easier to connect to that Blaine Warbler/Anderson.

As for Chord leaving, The #DontCutTheChord campaign remains as strong as ever, with over 11,000 signatures on our petition in only four days, and over 50 spots raised by sales on Billionaire. If you want to speak up and keep Chord on Glee, sign the petition here: http://twitition.com/ykbuw ,buy Billionaire on Itunes, and help us get #Dontcutthechord trending on Twitter!

Comment by Ria – July 5, 2011 07:09 PM PDT
      • Don’t understand Chord’s predicament as I was starting to enjoy a Sam and Mercedes pairing. This sucks ass big time.

Comment by ellediva – July 2, 2011 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • First it’s not clear that he is kicked out and then…the show named Glee and not McKinley…so why is a student from another glee club inferior to the New Directions? ;)

Comment by Kathi – July 2, 2011 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Because the show is McKinley’s glee club.

Comment by H – July 2, 2011 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Because the show is about* McKinley’s glee club.

Comment by H – July 2, 2011 10:54 AM PDT
    • Oh man, that is literally what I was going to type! You beat me to the punch. =)

Comment by Amber – July 1, 2011 11:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m stoked about Darren, I don’t really care for Harry; his character really isn’t interesting and doesn’t add to the show. However I am PISSED about Chord! I do feel that his character ended up in an awkward weak spot at the end of the season, but I think he is a lot more promising that Harry who doesn’t sing, and his dancing is repetitive and consequently uninteresting.

Comment by Todd – July 2, 2011 01:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Chord’s future is assured. With obvious talents like his, hollywood would be foolish not to snatch him up for another series. Chin up Chord. Your fans await the next chapter of your career.

Comment by James – July 2, 2011 08:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i wholeheartedly agree! trouty-mouth, you are stunningly gorgeous, funny, ironic with a really sold emotional acting palette in yer arsenal — so sorry about the job ending (he & amber had such great romantic chemistry & it was just getting started!!!) go make movies brad jr — yer gonna be fine! gorgeous!

Comment by Viv – July 2, 2011 05:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OMG MORE DARREN. to be frank-that’s that only reason I watchthe show anymore.

You know-you makers of glee-just so you know-the only people that watch your show anymore are major geeks and the die hard Harry potter fans. Without Darren-we wouldn’t watch-and you’d be screwed. So I’m pleased about this because Darren is such an amazing person. Who do you know that does covers of Disney songs on YouTube because they love them? That’s riigjt-Darren. To make season three even better….sing some songs written by Darren!!!!!

Comment by Stina – July 2, 2011 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I would watch if it didn’t have Darren. His character is way creepy and quite possibly a future serial killer, assuming he isn’t one already.

Comment by plm – July 2, 2011 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • @plm you’re winning I love you.

Comment by Eleanor – July 2, 2011 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Wow, a future serial killer. That is a little over the top don’t you think. In fact you sound a little creepy.

Comment by Yikes – July 4, 2011 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I do not like you speaking for everyone. I watch the show because I love all of the characters-ESPECIALLY CHORD’s CHARACTER “SAM”!!!!! HE NEEDS TO STAY A REGULAR CHARACTER ON THE SHOW!!!!

Comment by Emily – July 2, 2011 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh my God, another annoying Darren fangirl. Just because you watch for Darren doesn’t mean everyone does. Actually, only like a few hundreds out of the 10 million people that watch Glee, started watching for him. Glee was huge way before Darren. Darren’s character adds nothing to the show, and the only people that think he’s the greatest thing to happen on Glee are his annoying fangirls that started watching for him (whom are, like I said, only a few hundreds of 10 million), when Glee has already won many awards and was huge in season one.

Comment by H – July 2, 2011 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • H – you really need to watch somthing else as you clearly have no idea about Glee. Darren’s character made series 2 and the storyline with Kurt Dave and Darren was brilliant.
          Darren can act as well as any other member of the cast and can sing better than any of the others.
          What happens to Mercedes now then, shedoesn’t need any more heartache. KEEP SAM FOR MERCEDES’S SAKE

Comment by s – July 2, 2011 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • For the record, not every Darren fangirl started watching Glee for him. I’ve watched the show since the beginning, had never heard of Darren Criss before he started on the show, and I am now a bigger fan of his than most of the other actors on the show.

Comment by jen – July 2, 2011 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Go Scruffy.

Comment by Right on – July 4, 2011 06:03 PM PDT
        • you suck so bad darren is one of the most talented guys in glee ,really think about glee without him.Kurt would be so depressed because he would be alone i mean hes the only gay guy before blaine was into the show if we dont count karovsky whom wont go out the closet. the warblers wouldnt exist (amazingly selled album btw) the prom dance would be so diferent. MAKE UP YOUR FREAKING MIND BEFORE YOU TALK!!!

Comment by gleek – July 4, 2011 05:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • SHOW YOUR SUPPORT! Buy “Billionaire” and “Baby” (SINGLE VERSIONS!) on iTunes to support Chord. Let’s get those song up the charts!!

Comment by SUPPORT CHORD – July 2, 2011 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The day they showed that terrible Justin Beiber episode was the day I lost every ounce of tolerance for Chord’s character. I didn’t care for him much from the start and about the only song he did that I enjoyed was the ‘Lucky’ duet. I’m not sorry to see him go.

Comment by Andi – July 2, 2011 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I used to watch Glee because the FIRST SEASON was amazing… Now, I just watch it because of Diana Agron. However, Ryan Murphy has no direction and pushes the homosexualism so far, forgeting the characters who play them. I’m not a hater, but Chord’s character is deeper than Blaine. Also, Sue has become a psycho bitch – where’s her spirit and motivation? Well, Nip/Tuck had the same destiny.

Comment by Daniel – July 2, 2011 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Sam deeper than blaine? are you kidding? he only shows feelings for Quinn and Mercedes in the last ep. blaine is really emotional and gives glee a touch of sensibility while an extra amazing talent

Comment by gleek – July 4, 2011 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m totally bummed that Chord wasn’t picked up! He would have made an excellent permanent addition to the new cast. Hopefully there will be a change of heart.

Comment by mikeysf65 – July 2, 2011 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like Sam and the storyline he was given. he proved his worth with the changes he had during the season [Quinn, football, homeless, Mercedes]I agree there needs to be a few characters and storylines toned down a bit, and some of the other cast allowed to showcase their talents. I know several families that had to stop letting their younger kids watch because of the sexual content; they felt they could have written a bit differntly and still addressed the issue. The kids loved the music and dancing [kinda High Schoo Musical-ish]I personally think these are well written about the things teens deal with today. I don’t hsve teens at home anymore but I love the topics [OCD, sexuality, body image, peer pressure].

My least fav character this year – Lauren. Not because of her appearance, but the type of character she plays, they tried to make her a “stong woman” , both physically and mentally, but they missed the mark and she comes off slut-y, female-macho, and overbearing. I have a hard time with that type of character with Puck.

Still a Gleek, will hope the graduation of our current stars will not kill the show. too bad they didn’t think ahead and bring them in as frosh to give them a 4 year run.

Comment by Gleek2 – July 4, 2011 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i know!….im soo upset that chord isn’t coming back! he was my absolute favorite character on glee! he was like the cutest one, too! the show won’t be the same without him!=( please keep chord<3

Comment by ali – July 18, 2011 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • they just hafta keep chord on the show..what will happen to sam and mercedes?! </3

Comment by ali – July 18, 2011 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOOOOOO! I love Chord. =( Happy about Darren and Harry though.

Comment by Brittany – July 1, 2011 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Chord’s character. It is a shame to see him go. Happy about Darren and Harry!

Comment by Shannon – July 1, 2011 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This. I guess of the three of them Chord would probably be the one I would be least sad to see go – I love Blaine and I love Mike Chang’s dancing, if not the character so much.
      But I’m kind of tired of Glee’s merry-go-round of characters and trying to get the audience invested in characters and storyline then unceremoniously dropping them.

Comment by 8daysaweek – July 1, 2011 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bummer, I was really wanting to see what they do with Sam and Mercedes.

Comment by Ali – July 1, 2011 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I forgot about that!! You’re right! I was looking forward to that too…

Comment by Shannon – July 1, 2011 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Those were my thoughts exactly. I liked the character, and I like Chord. I am kind of bummed. No offense to Harry/Mike Chang, but he didn’t have any reason for us to get behind his character.

Comment by Jessica – July 1, 2011 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same here. I was really looking forward to that storyline–why even write that moment in if they weren’t going to keep Chord around? FINALLY Mercedes gets a love interest, and now they’re dropping him?

Comment by Julie – July 1, 2011 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • IKR?? Thats why Im the most upset. Cedes still doesnt get to have a man.

Comment by stinasings – July 1, 2011 11:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Right? I’ve been waiting for Mercedes to get a boyfriend, dangit!

Comment by Sharona – July 1, 2011 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too! I was so happy for her. They really looked like they could make it work. Obviously, Ryan just loves to piss us all off.

Comment by Tiffany – July 1, 2011 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Poor Chord–it was probably the kiss of death for him when they put him with Mercedes, because GOD FORBID that Mercedes could have a boyfriend unlike EVERY other girl on the show (most of whom have had several). I’ll miss ya, Troutymouth! :(

Comment by Claire – July 1, 2011 08:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Everyone’s totally forgetting about the Glee project winner and the other supposed new characters RM& Co are bringing in to play freshmen who’ll continue when the current kids graduate. Probably one of them is going to be a love interest for Mercedes-which I remember hearing was the proposed plan ages before the surprise Samcedes hook-up (though I did like the idea of them together)

Comment by Maria – July 1, 2011 10:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The Glee project is so lame and over produced the auto tuning is actually worse the glees. i was never a big fan of the sam character but hes ten times better then anyone on that ridiculous spin off

Comment by dan – July 2, 2011 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • watching the show the glee project, they said to the those on the glee project , that the winner will get a 7 episode storyline with sue.. sue will be dating the dad of who ever the winner is – character and they wont like sue which will make them enemies..so the winner could be a guy or girl and wont really be a love interest for mercedes.

Comment by gleekrus – July 2, 2011 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me, too! I also think that Sam’s storyline (with his family living in a motel) is an important one and it needs to be represented on Glee. I like Mike Chang and his fabulous feet a lot, but he’s less interesting than Sam.

Comment by laylagalise – July 2, 2011 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Supposedly Chord is gone. I haven’t heard it from Ryan Murphy’s mouth, only a tweet from Chord which could mean, or not mean, Cord is gone. And Darren and Mike have not commented, or any other member of the cast. But suppose, and just suppose, Sam is not gone, just Chord. Maybe someone is coming in to play Sam and pick up with Mercedes where they left off. They do it on the soap operas all the time. Hmmm.

Comment by Suppose – July 4, 2011 09:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, so much for Mercedes having bigger storyline – I guess no romance once again for her, unless she’s going after Mike.

Comment by Dan R. – July 1, 2011 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nah uh! Mike belongs with Tina. But it sucks to see Chord go :-(

Comment by Maria – July 1, 2011 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh. Which means that any semblance of a real storyline Mercedes could have is now out the window. Happy for Harry, good for Darren, but poor Chord.

Comment by Ashley – July 1, 2011 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Writing just started and Ryan has said Mercedes will have a bigger storyline. While things are subject to change, obviously, I can see her getting a bigger storyline since she hasn’t had one before. It doesn’t have to be guy related–and, even if it is, there’s still The Glee Project winner storyline. Could tie in. :)

Comment by Raya – July 1, 2011 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not having a boyfriend does not mean Mercedes can’t have a significant role to play next season.

Comment by Lesa – July 1, 2011 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thank you! You don’t need a bf to be important and talented in your own right!

Comment by s – July 2, 2011 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • unlike this season — where she had NO storyline whatsoever — what a waste of talent — why exactly does chord have to go?? the homeless storyline, missing his birthday, mercedes love interest was lovely and about as deep as gless has gotten — c’mon, ryan! jeez!

Comment by frankieblueeyes – July 2, 2011 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank God! Now, we don’t have to see Mercedes/Sam hook up! No big loss.

Comment by HazzyDee – July 1, 2011 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Are you serious? Just because you didn’t want to see a certain story line, that is no excuse for you to be thanking god for the fact that a talented rising star has essentially lost his job.

Comment by Jessica – July 1, 2011 10:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Erm….wow! I honestly meant no harm by the “Thank God” remark, sorry to cause offence, even if I think you may have slighty overreacted, still I apologise. Can I just add though, Chord is talented and I don’t doubt we’ll see him soon in a BETTER role….he was wasted on Glee, especially towards the end. In my opinion!

Comment by HazzyDee – July 2, 2011 07:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NO!!! I love Sam! I was happy he and Mercedes were hooking up at the end of the season, since he’d had a rough couple months living in the hotel with his fam…and was hoping we’d see more of him this season! I’d much rather see much more of him than Mike! =(

Comment by LF – July 1, 2011 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Keep our Chord – we are Glee club – why lose such a strong character?

Comment by Barry – July 2, 2011 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mercedes finally gets a guy and this is what they do to that . . .last season was WEAK . . .with way too much Gwyneth Paltrow . . . I won’t be back for another season.

Comment by Emily – July 1, 2011 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Gwyneth was on the show three times. That’s way too much?

Comment by Bryce – July 2, 2011 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes, yes it was. She wore out her welcome fast

Comment by Lena – July 2, 2011 07:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Couldn’t agree more! I cringed every time I knew she was going to be on.

Comment by Kari G – July 2, 2011 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes, it was. I was tired of her storyline.

Comment by jb – July 3, 2011 05:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aw thats a shame. :/ I was starting to like his character more. And I wanted to see what happened to Sam/Mercedes story line. I don’t get why that means he has to leave though. I mean Mike hasn’t been a series regular until now and he still showed up in the show often.

Comment by Allie – July 1, 2011 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Though I am really happy about Darren and Harry. Especially Harry, its about time he became a main character.

Comment by Allie – July 1, 2011 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i know, right! i don’t see the point either. well, hopefully the script changes and he returns soon!

Comment by Sue – July 1, 2011 09:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good Riddance. Chord is a horrible excuse of an actor. Sam was basically an insignificant cast member anyway.

Comment by scooterbeanbag – July 1, 2011 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah!, Chord was kind of bored… I never liked him…
      But I’m so happy about Darren!!, I love KLAINE!!

Comment by KlaineGLEEK – July 1, 2011 09:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Finally! I thought I was the only one who disliked Chord after reading these posts. He was OK, but I am definitely glad he is one of the ones who will be leaving. Love Brittany, Santana, Kurt and Quinn!

Comment by Katie – July 2, 2011 07:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like Sam as character till he broke up with Queen, after that his character was borring and meaningless. It is true that mike didn’t talk much till now but is important for tina’s storry line, for Blaine…I think I don’t have to explaine that (love Klaine BTW). Sorry for bad English
      And if I may add…If they break up finn and rachel again…that will be stupid because it get kinda borring…so I hope Finn and Rachel won’t be the main characters anymore I wont to see more of Marcedes, Tina, Mike and Artie.
      And also (I hope I want upset some people) I don’t think Brittany and Santan will end up together….I prefer Brittany with Artie

Comment by Tina – July 3, 2011 06:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t mind.
    it’s how the show works. I love Sam as a character but these are the writers, and directors and producers. What’s going to happen is up to them and no amount of whining on our part is going to change that.
    I’m excited to see what’s in store for season 3, regardless who gets bumped up or not.

Comment by Jen – July 1, 2011 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • But…I was teased with Samcedes. You can’t just snatch that away. NOOOOOOO!!!!

Comment by Yvonne – July 1, 2011 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So Happy that Harry and Darren go the regular gig!

Comment by Leanne – July 1, 2011 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Soooo happy about Darren and Harry.
    Honestly, I don’t really mind about Sam. I love Chord, but Sam never really clicked for me.

Comment by Sara – July 1, 2011 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am happy for Darren and Harry, but why would they get rid of Chord? He’s great! Ryan has been talking about new blood… why get rid of a new character that people liked? I was looking forward to the Sam and Mercedes story as well.

Comment by ErixN – July 1, 2011 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What? I can’t believe it! Sam was one of the few guys in Glee that I actually liked! T_T So not fair, Sam was such a decent guy!

Comment by celita – July 1, 2011 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nice effort by Chord Overstreet but the character was lame from day 1 and even that forced recession/babysitter story point couldn’t save Sam Evans.

Comment by AndyLuvr – July 1, 2011 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So there’s this whole “Mercedes finally is getting a boyfriend” storyline hinted at the end of last season’s finale, and now they’re likely not bringing the potential boyfriend back for the third season? Seriously, Ryan? I’m sorry, but I really enjoyed Sam. This is silly.

Comment by Alex – July 1, 2011 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, what a scoop! Good work, Nellie and Michael!

Comment by april-ann – July 1, 2011 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES. YES. YES.

Its definitely what the show needed. Chord brought nothing new to the table. He was rather flat, and boring as a character. He should have never been brought in in the first place.

Harry Shum Jr can continue to do the same he’s been doing the past two seasons.

And if your going to keep Blaine, transfer him over to Mckinnley please. Dalton Academy was fun for a while, but if they keep it up for the third season, its gonna get old real quick. I already found it random when Blaine would randomly pop in from time to time after Kurt transferred back.

So please, transfer Blaine to Mckinnley and have him take the lead role over Finn because its already been 2 yrs of pretending that Finn is the best male singer in Glee Club, and I haven’t bought it for a second. Nobody has.

Comment by Krystal – July 1, 2011 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with most of what you say. Darren (Blaine) should def transfer to McKinley because although Cory (finn) is cute, he can’t really sing or dance all that well, and Darren has an amazing voice and I would LOVE to see more of him. I do feel bad for Chord, though, especially because I was looking forward to Samcedes.

Comment by Meg – July 1, 2011 08:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • D: NO SAMCEDES?!

Comment by Dannie – July 1, 2011 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m thrilled about Darren and Harry. I’m a bit sad about Chord, but eh… that’s how things go. I am surprised he’s the one leaving, though, since his character was supposed to be a freshman and they’re going to need those younger characters.

Comment by Raya – July 1, 2011 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m bummed. He was great, and they didn’t do anything with him. His voice is so much better than Finn’s, but he didn’t get to sing so much as one song with Rachel? What was up with that?

Comment by Julia – July 1, 2011 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well that sucks! Sam was one of the only reasons why I watched the show!

Comment by Brittany – July 1, 2011 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • bye bye trouty mouth!! Hello Blaine. yum.

Comment by allison – July 1, 2011 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Blaine=yuck. I’ve never liked his character that much and while his singing is good I can’t stand to watch him bounce around maniacally all over my tv screen.

Comment by anon – July 3, 2011 05:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love how Sam was brought in to account for them possibly losing some cast members when they graduate….and they promoted Darren Criss before they did him…. I mean at least Harry Shum Jr’s character goes to their school. I don’t get why Chord Overstreet can’t just stay as a guest star for another season, but still be a part of New Directions. That’s what Harry did. My guess is that’s what they’re going to do with Lauren to. Maybe the 12th slot on New Directions is cursed. Matt joined in Episode 4 of Season 1, and left in between Season 1 and 2. Sam joined in Episode 4 of Season 2, and now it seems the same as him. I really fear for the person replacing Sam.

Comment by JDHetherington – July 1, 2011 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just another reason i’m glad i’m not watching next season. This show was good the first 12 episodes after that it just went way down hill and now it’s a joke.

Comment by Gabby – July 1, 2011 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m starting to lean towards this decision as well… second season was a joke and now they are getting rid of Chord. If they are going to continue to make bad decisions then I’m not going to continue to stick around to watch.

Comment by Kari G – July 2, 2011 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will his abs be staying around?

Comment by Scott – July 1, 2011 07:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Talk about awkward. Isn’t he still on tour with the entire cast over in Europe?

Comment by Kelly – July 1, 2011 07:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wait..will he really not be coming back? i mean, he was a “guest star” last season and he was in almost every episode, so maybe it will be that way again?…why did they even devote time to him if he was just going to be written off? omg this show i swear

Comment by jmd – July 1, 2011 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so excited for Darren and Harry. They definitely deserve it, but I don’t understand why Chord isn’t being picked up. I thought his character was going to have a continued storyline with Mercedes and then this :/

Comment by Michelle – July 1, 2011 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very happy to see Darren made a regular, now time to transfer Blaine to Mckinley. I am not too upset to see Chord leave.

Comment by Amy – July 1, 2011 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?!?!?! I hate you Ryan Murphy! I’ve given up on Glee!!!

Comment by Jared – July 1, 2011 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really? Sam was a boring character but Chord is a way better actor than Darren. Darren is a great musician but that’s about it. I love Harry and he did work hard for 2 seasons so I guess he deserves it.

Comment by Victoria – July 1, 2011 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. In every respect. I would have much rather seen Darren go.

Comment by Kristen – July 1, 2011 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thank you I thought I was the only one who thought darren should go. The guy is a terrible actor and blaine is a boring character. I dislike him for being the star in season 2 while there were other new direction characters not having a story line.

Comment by Paris – July 2, 2011 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree! I’ve never warmed up to Blaine.

Comment by jb – July 3, 2011 05:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bummed out about Chord. I thought he was a great addition to the show. Boo!

Comment by Christy – July 1, 2011 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damn, well that’s a downer.
    I guess Mercedes is doomed to storylines about wishing she was in the spotlight and craving food forever more.

Comment by RyanD – July 1, 2011 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So thrilled for Darren! and bummed for Chord.

Comment by Andie – July 1, 2011 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At least we still have Darren. I LOVE him! I wonder how the Mercedes/Sam relationship will play out now :S

Comment by Princess Adora – July 1, 2011 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You have to be kidding me! Why take him away? He’s great. I swear if this is true I’m not watching next season.

Comment by Tina – July 1, 2011 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHAT THE BLOODY HELL!!!!! Way to go RIB, throw out an actor who can actually ACT! I am appalled that he has been bypassed for Darren Criss who yeah may be able to sing and flit around but can’t act himself out of a friking paperbag. It is literally painful to watch him onscreen and his character has had no development other than the fact that he was shoehorned into being Kurt Hummel’s BF because of a bunch of annoying fangirls and oh let us not forget the nice chunk of change that he earned them via Itunes. This just goes to show that even the creators of the show have forgotten what Glee used to be. Season 2 was a total bust and letdown. I know that making money is important but what ever happened to the true meaning of art? Keep your cashcow! I’ll find another show to watch. Because to be quite truthful, RIB managed to destroy my fave character Kurt with that joke of a bullying storyline. Sam was a breath of fresh air. I grew very attached to his character because he reminded me alot of myself. Yeah I’m female but I am a geek and I used to try and hide it so that people would like me. There are many others who related to him on a personal level. Plus the biggest thing HE COULD ACT!!!! They have really let me down. Oh and Harry Shum yeah he doesn’t even talk. He just dances, has abs, and shares sweet adorable asian kisses with Tina. Great choices RIB. Great choices indeed. Smucks!

Comment by Melissa – July 1, 2011 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Whilst I agree that Darren shouldn’t have been signed as a regular, I think Harry has paid his dues and should be rewarded. It’s understandable that Chord wouldn’t become a regular however, I personally think that he should be one before Darren. They might bring Chord back for season four. If they’re dumping the majority of the cast, they might want to bring back a familiar face so we’ll see.

Comment by Luke – July 1, 2011 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How is it Harry’s fault that he’s been on since season one like everyone else (though not from the pilot), and that they never developed his character? Yeah, I’m upset about Chord leaving, but Harry’s been on for two seasons and Chord for one, so it makes more sense to keep Harry.

Plus, the news about Darren shouldn’t be a surprise-it was rumored that Fox was so happy about Teenage Dream’s popularity that they decided to keep Darren right away!

Comment by Mia – July 1, 2011 10:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Of course they were gonna keep Darren over Chord. Barring the the Fleetwood Mac eppy,SamCedes and the Comeback eppy, Sam wasnt really given that much to do. He dated Quinn,Santana,we were randomly told he had siblings and his fam was affected by the recession, but overall not much was done with Sam over S2. Blaine however came on in Nov and took Glee by storm in the span of 8 mos Klaine was on the cover of EW, Darren doing a slew of interviews with major media outlets, a Warblers’ album, Klaine skits on tour, and he is half of one of the most popular pairings in 2010-2011 TV season. IMO Darren is a fine actor as well as Chord, but Darren really took off why wouldnt they captalize on that.

Comment by stinasings – July 2, 2011 12:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Darren isn’t that great of an actor and I find it hard to watch him zipping around all over the place when he sings. He’s way to bouncy and over the top.

Comment by anon – July 3, 2011 05:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m going to respectfully disagree that Chord is the stronger actor of the three. The scene at the hotel where he broke down and started to cry during “Rumours” was incredibly forced and uncomfortable to watch. And aside from Sam’s father losing his job, what major development did this character honestly have? He spent most of the season trying to be popular. Hardly groundbreaking. That said, I’m saddened to see Chord go as I wanted to see what they had planned for Sam and Mercedes.

Comment by Kate – July 2, 2011 01:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • ^ As opposed to Darren’s pro acting skills? Um did you even see ‘Blame It On The Alcohol’ when he attempted to cry. That was just cringeworthy. I agree though Chord isn’t amazing but they both have their short comings. Samcedes felt really forced. It was like they had two single people and so they decided to put them together. I doubt it would last although it would be a good way for Mercedes to get he feet wet in the dating pool.

Comment by L – July 2, 2011 11:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sam was one of the only reasons that I watched Glee this season, what with the fact that Finchel makes me want to punch Ryan Murphy in the face and no Brittana AT ALL, even though Brittany broke up with Artie. Now I don’t really want to watch it that much. Thank you so much, Ryan Murphy. AND I was excited for Samcedes.

Comment by Erica – July 1, 2011 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Darren and am absolutely thrilled that he is now a confirmed series regular. And Harry is amazing so I’m very happy about this as well, but I’m rather upset about Chord. Sam is one of my favorite characters at McKinley.

Comment by Caitlin – July 1, 2011 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sam Evans was the only reason I was still watching Glee this season. Getting rid of him would be the last straw for me. I am freaking done with this show.

Comment by Anna – July 1, 2011 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sam gone? Me too! Darren? Two words for you! BYE? BYE?

Comment by pat burg – July 5, 2011 12:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

DARREN CRISS!!!!!! <3

This is such awesome news!

Comment by Kim – July 1, 2011 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I adore Harry and Darren, and I honestly couldn’t be happier for them, but what the hell? Worst decision they’ve ever made. And I’m sure they’ll regret it.

Comment by Sam – July 1, 2011 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Theres a rock to my left and a hard place to my right. I would stop watching the show if Darren wasn’t on it, and Harry Shum Jr. deserves to be a regular after two years of being a recurring guest and I just don’t know if I would trade either of them for Chord, but… I love Sam! I love his character so much and he’s dating Mercedes! They’re cute and totally unexpected! Yay! and yet nay!

Comment by alisa – July 1, 2011 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • not so happy. i always wanted fabrevans to be end game! </3 stupid move fox.

Comment by p – July 1, 2011 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • oh good lord..its official this show is nuts, they probably had to make room for the stupid reality show winner..the only reason i watch anymore is for finn/rachel and brittany/santana…im just going to crawl into my season 1 bubble where nothing hurts

Comment by dj – July 1, 2011 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would prefer that Darren LEFT!!!! i want Chord to say i dont Care one little bit about Blaine! he’s a jerk!! this Pisses me off!!!!

Comment by Ben – July 1, 2011 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Excuse me? How in the hell is Blaine a jerk?

Comment by Adriana – July 1, 2011 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed! Kurt deserves SO MUCH BETTER THAN BLAINE!

Comment by Karen – July 1, 2011 09:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How quickly people forget Kurt’s complete lack of support for Blaine while Blaine was struggling with his sexuality. Not to mention the time Kurt threw Blaine’s painful past in his face in front of Burt and Finn simply because Blaine was hesitant over Kurt’s choice of wearing a kilt to prom. I love Kurt, but he’s hardly a saint.

Comment by K – July 2, 2011 01:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • They should have kept Sam’s original story as Kurt’s boyfriend. He would have been a great character to be bisexual and teach Kurt that sexuality isn’t so black and white. Instead it’s another plotline they left hanging! Like Duets was unresolved and “someone the world deems more appropriate” is the message they sent. Awful.

And a Sam/Kurt/Blaine triangle would have been interesting… god knows the fanbases were already going head to head anyway! They could have capitalized on it like they have done with Finn/Rachel/Puck and Santana/Brittany/Artie.

Comment by Angel – July 4, 2011 06:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • How dare someone not support the person they have a crush on in dating one of their opposite-sex friends right after refusing to date them. /eyeroll. Anyone who questions their sexuality because of a drunken makeout session is an idiot, and given that Blaine was portrayed as the confident one until they retconned the first half of the season, it was nonsense from the start. Just like the gay-bashing plot device in the prom episode. As someone who’s actually BEEN bashed, I found it disgustingly offensive.

Comment by Marcus – July 6, 2011 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post