The Voice Plans Live Summer Tour - Without Its Singing Superstar Judges?

Fan of NBC’s The Voice may have coming their way this summer a live concert tour — though one sans the talents of megastar judges/recording artists Christina Aguilera, Adam Levine, Cee Lo Green and Blake Shelton.

Rocker Levine seemingly announced on Twitter Monday an upcoming concert series for the Season 1 finalists, saying, “@javstwtr [aka Javier Colon] and [former contestant] @Casey_Weston are hitting the road in July for #TheVoice Live On Tour. Go check them out.”

Levine’s too-soon tweet was taken down shortly thereafter, but sources confirm to TVLine that an official tour announcement is in the works and should be expected within early this week.

Weston meanwhile continued the unauthorized news-breaking via her own Twitter feed, revealing that only “the Top 8” contestants will be featured on the tour — a claim confirmed by The Hollywood Reporter. Thus, the traveling show would include Beverly McClellan, Vicci Martinez, Dia Frampton, Nakia, Xenia, Frenchie Davis, Colon and Weston.

Now about those judges… Glaringly omitted from the unofficially reported rosters are The Voice‘s aforementioned swivel-chair captains. Christina, Blake et al were reportedly in talks to join the tour, but those plans were ultimately scrapped due to what THR calls “compensation issues.”

Do you wish the tour would dive deeper for its lineup of talent, inviting as many as the Top 12 or even 16? Will you dish out the big bucks to catch the live tour?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Sam says:

Um, good. The worst thing for these contestants would be to go on tour as basically an opening act for established artists. Let them have their own thing.

• CandaceTX says:

agreed. Top 8 is fine. We barely got the chance to know the others, so who cares. (Would love to see Rebecca Loebe though…she’s awesome)

• SallyinChicago says:

It’s going to be a crowded tour summer with AI, AGT, Sing-off and god knows who else….and the VOICE doesn’t warrant a tour. Who? are these people? Old folks who had a chance at a music career and will not, repeat, will not be star quality performers in the future. Going to see this tour will be like paying to see karaoke.

• phil says:

Oh so you have a tin ear. Sorry about that. 100 million people who tuned in would disagree with you.

• TvTroz says:

If you have obviously not seen the show. And if you think that talent is the only thing needed to make it in the music business, and that talent alone will always prevail, I suggest you crawl from under the rock your parents to neatly hid you your whole life. Things out here are a bit more complicated. Have a nice day, and be careful not to step on the tail of your pet unicorn.

• TvTroz says:

That first sentence should have read “You have obviously not seen the show”, of course. Apologies to all. And TVLINE, how about a way to edit comments? It’s very unsettling when you mistype in the middle of an insult. It kinda takes away all the punch. Many thanks.

• Reena says:

I dont understant you SallyinChicago if you dont think these people have talent (and you are crazy to think that) then WHY are you commenting on this article? do you have nothing better to do..please leave comment space for those of us who LOVE THE SHOW!!! and are excited about this tour…so now to my comment..i am glad the judges wont be there now we can just see the contestants and as one comment said above this way the contestants are not just an opening act

• Dave says:

You’ve got to be kidding, right? The Voice contestants are far superior singers and performers than the ones of American Idol. The Voice doesn’t WARRANT a tour? Hell, I’ve gone to about every single American Idol Tour and none of ’em could compare with a tour by THIS phenomenally-talented group on The Voice. I, for one, can’t wait for a Voice tour in Atlanta or Nashville.

• Colleen says:

I wouldn’t waste my time, though I love Dia, without the star power of the judges, I’d rather spend my money on seeing the Doodlebops!

2. Ruby says:

The issue I see with this is that due to The Voice’s format, we don’t get to “know” the contestants as well as we do on American Idol. So you don’t get attached enough to them to want to actually see them in concert. The Voice has spent WAY more time on the judges, and they are the reason most people are watching the show. I don’t think this concert will do very well.

• GeekGirl13 says:

I actually got quite attached to Xenia, Nakia, Dia, Jared, and a few others. I might have initially watched for the Blake and Adam but it was the talent of the competitors that truly hooked me in. I am thrilled to read the top 8 will be touring and hope I can swing tickets if they come my way.

• Cathy says:

I fell in love with Javier and Bev so I think you are very wrong. I also think you are wrong as to why people are watching this show. Yes, I love seeing the mentors (they are not judges)but the talent has been tremendous this year considering this is The Voice’s first season. If the tour come anywhere close to me, I will be attending it.

3. Sivat says:

Hmmm. I like the top 8 but wouldn’t want to see them without the judges.

• SallyinChicago says:

How much would you pay to see the contestants without the judges? That you and others wouldn’t pay to see them w/o the judges, says a lot about the talent doesn’t it?

I can’t see the Voice playing large auditoriums like AI does, but small venues that seat maybe 500.

4. John Gray says:

I WILL be attending. The Voice is great. So much talent.

5. jess says:

It should be top 8 plus some fan favorites. Viewers have had little say in who made it into the top 8 and it would be nice if some of the other talents were recognized as well (Nikki Dawson, Rebecca Loebe!)

6. Paul says:

I love The Voice, it’s a refreshing change from AI, but a tour won’t do well. The audience hasn’t really had a chance to connect with them because the format of the show moved it so rapidly that it’s hard to really develop an interest to see them live!

• SallyinChicago says:

The AI singers have new recordings out and 4 have been signed and will have new music on the radio in time for the tour. I don’t see the Voice being anything more than a karaoke show.

• cathy says:

And American Idol isn’t?

• allie says:

AI didn’t do a single original rendition of a song this entire season – it was ENTIRELY karaoke which is the main reason I have stopped watching. I am sure the Voice isn’t looking to book big arenas (and if you recall, AI had to cancel a lot of dates last year due to poor attendance and this year is doing fewer concerts in smaller venues).

7. Louis says:

I’d go, but all depends on the price of the tickets. I wouldn’t mind top 12.

8. Taylor says:

I’d go if the price wasn’t too unreasonable. Sadly, I doubt the concert will be anywhere near me :(

9. Jared says:

Granted, I haven’t watched AI in a year or two, but how do we “really” get to know the contestants on AI? Through music videos or two minutes blurbs from home? I think we’ve gotten the same amount – if not more – from our “The Voice” contestants.

10. L says:

I think they need to show all of the contestants more often next year. You would see one team, then no one from that team for another few weeks. It is hard to see what they can do when they only sing once or twice a month.

11. SallyinChicago says:

The fact that so many here are mentioning the Judges “over” the singers….(btw, I don’t know but two names and that’s Frenchie and Javier, and predict the others will be forgotten before September) shows that the show is only about the judges and the star power that they bring. The singers will disappear and not be heard from again….oh, maybe on some Broadway stage or a coffeehouse, but it’s known that only a small percentage of AI contestants make a living and reach stardom after the show. Sometimes it takes them years and years to even get a decent concert. Look at Kathrine McPhee, almost 5 years later she’s starring in a TV show.

12. Bob says:

Are JLo or Steven Tyler out on tour with this year’s AI contestants? Did Paula Abdul ever go out on tour with them? No, because it’s not about the judges. Granted, The Voice talent pool isn’t being lifted to as lofty a level as the AI contestants, but why make them the opening act for the way-more-popular judges? They have to stand on their own. And winning AI isn’t a guarantee of instant stardom, either. Where’s Ruben Studdard? Taylor Hicks? Kris Allen? Lee DeWyze?

13. Rock Golf says:

There’s a few Voice “Big 8” contestants who can manage a crowd: Dia, Beverly, Frenchie & Dia have had that kind of experience & Beverly is a real crowd pleaser from what I’ve read. But, dear God, to put Xenia on a concert stage nightly seems like a punishment to both the sweet girl and the audience.
    She has a nice studio voice, but she’s like a deer in the spotlight on stage. The audience would be as uncomfortable as she is.

• viccifan says:

You’re from another part of the country, I assume, so have missed out–Vicci is an AMAZING live act; the energy is just unbelievable! She can definitely work the room. But I agree with you about Xenia. The whole season she’s looked petrified; I’d feel bad just waiting for her to be done!

14. annib670 says:

I’d personally rather see Jeff Jenkins than Casey Weston. I think he really got the shaft.