Justified, Parks and Rec, Thrones Top TCA Nods

With four nods apiece, FX’s Justified, NBC’s Parks and Recreation and HBO’s Game of Thrones led the nominations for the 2011 TCA Awards, presented by the Television Critics Association.

In a surprise move, Glee — which last year was named Program of the Year by the group — was completely shut out.

The ceremony, hosted by Parks and Rec scene-stealer (and TCA nominee) Nick Offerman, will be held Aug. 6 in Los Angeles.

The complete list of nominations is below:

Individual Achievement in Drama
Steve Buscemi (Boardwalk Empire)
Peter Dinklage (Game of Thrones)
Jon Hamm (Mad Men)
Julianna Margulies (The Good Wife)
Margo Martindale (Justified)
Timothy Olyphant (Justified)

Individual Achievement in Comedy
Ty Burrell (Modern Family)
Louis C.K. (Louis)
Nick Offerman (Parks and Recreation)
Amy Poehler (Parks and Recreation)
Danny Pudi (Community)
Jon Stewart (The Daily Show)

Outstanding Achievement in News and Information
If God Is Willing and Da Creek Don’t Rise (HBO)
Restrepo (National Geographic Channel)
60 Minutes (CBS)
The Rachel Maddow Show (MSNBC)
30 for 30 (ESPN)

Outstanding Achievement in Reality Programming
Amazing Race (CBS)
Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations (Travel Channel)
Survivor (CBS)
The Voice (NBC)
Top Chef: All Stars (Bravo)

Outstanding Achievement in Youth Programming
A Children’s Garden of Poetry (HBO)
iCarly (Nickelodeon)
Nick News with Linda Ellerbee (Nickelodeon)
R.L. Stine’s The Haunting Hour (The Hub)
Sesame Street (PBS)
Yo Gabba Gabba (Nick Jr.)

Outstanding New Program

Program of the Year
Boardwalk Empire
Friday Night Lights
Game of Thrones
Parks and Recreation

1. sarah says:

Of course Glee was shut out. They were only going for the best and that is a list of quality television and actors.

2. TheReasonsY says:

Interesting to see if SAG will follow suit.

• Michael says:

Don’t count on it. The SGAs, though not huge in terms of audience, are still televised. Glee will be nominated.

I’m not surpised, nor do I care. I LOVE Glee, couldn’t love it more, but I don’t think that anything this season or last(except maybe its novelty) was deserving of an award. Chris C has demonstrated some fine acting chops for a newcomer, but there’s nothing all that ground breaking about the show. Glee just makes me happy. I don’t think it should win awards for doing so. I’m happy to see Community, Parks and Louie in place of the typical critical darlings like 30 Rock, which came off of a very uneven season.

Go Friday Night Lights. Just my opinion, but I think that it’s the best drama I’ve ever had the privelege of watching.

• Sandy says:

I agree with your comment on Friday night lights. It’s the best drama that I’ve seen in a long time. It was so captivating that I watched seasons 1-4 in two weeks on Netflix. I don’t know why they ever cancelled the show. I hope they win, they truly deserve it.

3. Courtney says:

I am just happy Community is getting recognized! Favorite show on television right now.

4. Sarah says:

I’m glad Glee was left out. They should be getting the message that this season was subpar compared to the last.

• DL says:

Hopefully they will up their game next season, especially with NBC’s Smash edging in on their audience.

• Jon says:

Really nice list of nominees. Shame that Walton Goggins has gone unrecognized because he has been so damn good but there just aren’t enough nominations to go around.

• Rusty says:

There should be plenty enough nominations to include Goggins–he is truly the best and most bewilderingly overlooked actor on television today. I even watched Predators because he was in it–he’s that good.

• LindaLou says:

I TOTALLY agree on Walton Goggins….when “Boyd” and “Raylan” are in a scene together I can hardly breathe. They are both terrific in JUSTIFIED. (which could use a larger audience by the way)

5. anna says:

I LOVE these nominees. Well done.

6. Catherine says:

Yay for parks and rec!!!!

• joe says:

and since parks and rec is the only comedy nominee for outstanding program it’ll finally get the recognition it deserves as outstanding comedy (ALL OTHER AWARDS SHOW SHOULD FOLLOW BEHIND TCA)

7. Emma says:

Not even one nomination for Dexter? This awards are crap!

• Nanda says:

well, Dexter was pretty bad this season so their decision makes sense

• Andy says:

Dexter is past its prime. It is time to get some new blood into award shows. (I still love Dexter but I really want some new shows to start being recognized)

8. alex says:

Wow. If only these awards would somehow usurp the Emmys and become THE TV awards. Love aLl the love for FNL, Justified, Terriers (sob)

9. nessie says:

i am missing cougar town in the comedy category but except for that the list is pretty although i probably only watch only 50% of those shows on the list. glad glee got shunned, i am waiting for Darren criss to leave to i can stop watching myself.

10. DrewH says:

A pretty good list but I would’ve liked to have seen some love for Dexter and Shameless.

11. MrMank says:

Excellent choices. Really top tier. And I think it’s good for the folks at Glee to be reminded that they’re not the greatest thing since television was invented. You know they’ll get a lot of Emmy attention anyway.

12. lla says:

Heck yeah Justified, GoT & Dinklage fantastic noms!!!!!

• DL says:

All hail the Imp!

• Huntyr says:

Agree. Justified was amazing, Margo Martindale was phenomenal, although I may have given the second nod to Goggins over Olyphant.

Dinklage is the best of a great cast on GoT, good job on these nominations.

13. Pat D. says:

No nom for Walt Goggins? Boo, I say. BOOOOOOOOOO

14. toomy says:

where is fringe?

• Christa says:

i agree!!! i am hoping this will not be the pattern for the rest of the awards! Fringe is AWESOME!

• Matt says:

Fringe is only the best dramatic series on TV. Who are these critics anyway? The ones I read would nominate Fringe, right Michael?

• kyrjar says:

Loved Fringe last year but it got a bit uneven this year. While one of my faves, that is a great list and can’t say Fringe is better than those. Justified was a tour de force. Finally some recognition for Olyphant.

15. Anatasia B. says:

I agree about Glee getting shut down; hopefully, they’ll get over the sophomore slump. However, Naya Rivera & Chris Colfer did turn in some good performances.

On another note, one woman in the two acting categories?! I’m appalled. There are a number of women who deserve to join Julianna & Amy.

• Sam says:

Tons! Katey Sagal, Chloe Sevigny, Tina Fey, Toni Collette (HELLO, FREAKIN’ TONI COLLETTE!)

• Bamabunny says:

I thought Naya, Chris and Max Adler gave great performances. Problem is, they were DRAMATIC performances and unlike the Emmys, the TCAs require their comedic performances to be, well, FUNNY, and not just performances IN a comedy (why is Glee classified as comedy anyway? It’s a musical…”Variety” would be their best bet, category-wise).

16. Volcfom says:

How is Boardwalk Empire up for New Program if it’s on season 2? I guess this award show has a weird cut-off year.

• mariana says:

Boardwalk Empire has only aired one season. I don’t think they’ve announced when the new season is starting. It’s new.

17. tj says:

Justified!!!!! Finally got some justice!! I hope Mr. Timothy Olyphant gets an award. He is well past due! Nice to see The Killing and Walking Dead on the list. tj

18. cl says:

I’m telling you, there’s a shift in the comedy scene. Community and Parks and Rec are taking over.

19. AUST says:

Eureka! Finally no GLEE

20. CarolH says:

All I can say is FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS!!!!!!!!!

• Libby says:

I love FNL so much! The most neglected show ever. The writing and acting is so amazing that I almost forget that the characters don’t really exist!

21. Iggi says:

Parks and Recreation deserves the nominations. And the wins.

22. Dave says:

It’s pretty cool that the only comedy that made it into Program of the Year is Parks and Rec. It truly is the best comedy on TV right now.
    And does anyone else think it’s odd that Boardwalk Empire made it into Program of the Year, but was shut out of Outstanding Achievement in Drama? If it’s good enouh for Program of the Year, shouldn’t it be good enough for the Drama category?
    Also, very glad that Glee was completely shut out. Season 2 was unbelievably awful. Emmy voters: take note.

23. RyanT says:

The lack of Fringe is discouraging. It’s already a long shot for Emmys, but you’d think the TCA would recognize the insane year the show has had. Oh well.

24. mdaily says:

Agree with posters asking about Fringe, especially with Anne Torv stepping up to the plate and channeling Leonard Nimoy! And John Noble doing his always above board work. Plus the show itself has been outstanding.

Another show I am surprised is totally absent is the always amazing Dexter. Even if the TCA did not like the storyline of the season, there is no mistaking the work of Michael C. Hall and Jennifer Carpenter (and the rest of the ensemble crew). Surely there could have been some loving in some category for these folk!

Also conspicuously absent: Nurse Jackie.

25. Amber says:

Awesome to see Raising Hope in there. Not surprised about the Glee shutout; it was an extremely uneven season.

26. jrs says:

Awesome that Parks & Rec and Justfied are getting the attention they deserve. I think these are my two favorite shows on TV right now; both just so well done. Is it too much to hope that in the case of the Emmy’s that that maybe there will be a return to recognizing quality and not just popularity or the usual suspects???

27. TVJunkie says:

FNL FTW!!!! Props, also, to Julianna Margulies & The Good Wife, and Ty Burrell & Modern Family!

28. JC says:

Another week, another awards show. Hollywood pats itself on the back yet again. Yawn . . .

29. MGL says:

Good News for The Good Wife and Justified. Both had well written, compellng seasons!

30. Linda says:

Parks and Rec all the way! :)

31. Kit-Kat says:

Yay for Game of Thrones and The Killing, my two favorite shows at the moment. And I hope Glee will keep getting shut out by every other television associations and critics too, this season was such a massive disappointment that the writers seriously deserve to get punched in the face.

32. Claudia says:

Yes to Game of Thrones/Peter Dinklage and Community nominations.
    and yes to no Glee

33. Kristen says:

Wow, 30 Rock was completely shut out? ..Interesting.
    Really happy about Nick Offerman, Amy Poehler, and Parks and Recs nominations though. Well deserved.

34. malediktmanson says:

Community is finally (and should) get(ting) more attention but I’m still missing Breaking Bad in the Drama Category!

35. Renee says:

I’m thrilled at the recognition for Friday Night Lights and Justified and the lack for the massively over hyped Glee.

36. Justin says:

Finally, Parks and Recreation is getting some love!

37. Catherine says:

So glad to see Terriers get a nomination! It was one of the BEST shows, and it deserved a chance at a second season. *sigh* All hail to Laura Allen, Michael Raymond-James, Donal Logue, and Rockmond Dunbar!!

• David says:

Couldn’t agree more. Terriers was more than a catchy theme song. If you didn’t stop to watch it it was your loss. Great show.

38. Thrudd says:

Where is Breaking Bad?

• wonj says:

This has been explained over and over… Breaking Bad did not air any new episodes in 2010/11 season, therefore, ineligible.

39. Amy says:

Love, love, love, all the nominations for Parks and Rec!!!!!!! I love that it is the only comedy up for Program of the Year! Hopefully this will help it come Emmy time. Also, love the noms for Danny Pudi, Community, and Friday Night Lights!

40. Ann says:

I hope the rest of the awards circuit follow suit and gives Parks and Rec the recognition it rightly deserves.

Also, the fact that Glee gets any critical praise is beyond me. Inconsistent writing and incredibly irritating, self-righteous characters. It has fallen so much since the first half of season one.

41. Catherine says:

Not that I really disagree with any of the nominations, but why is Sons of Anarchy NEVER recognized?!

42. wonj says:

Sweet! Friday Night Lights! The Good Wife! Mad Men! Game of Thrones! Parks and Recreation! ALL WORTHY.

Glee……. NOT WORTHY.

43. stephanie says:

kyle chandler should be on this list.

44. Lila says:

Yay Julianna and The Good Wife!!

45. Bunky Bunk says:

If only those were the Emmy Awards nominations. Here, all the nominees deserve to be nominated.

Justified, Boardwalk Empire, Game of Thrones and Friday Night Lights are in my top 10 of the best dramas I’ve seen this season. I don’t know which one of them I would vote for, but I’m happy no matter which one wins.

I’m glad to see brillant, smart comedies like Community, Parks and Recreation, Modern Family, Raising Hope and Louie getting noms. The critics know best, that’s for sure.

Parks & Rec even has the privilege to get nominated in the Program of the Year category alongside 4 dramas, and rightfully so, this has been the best comedy on television this season (I absolutely love Community but Parks & Rec really had a top notch season).

Well, Modern Family is the only exception. This show is genuinely very good, has critical acclaim, Emmy nominations (and wins) and off the charts ratings on Wednesday nights. Quality, success and praise combined for a sitcom on network TV, that’s a first.

Glee should have been nominated though, in the youth programming category. That’s why this show is doing so good in the ratings, they’re targetting the 5-year-old childrens.

• Dave R says:

I bet Glee is the only show nowadays that tackles the sensitive issue of “BULLYING”….

I agree that this wasn’t a good season for the show having like 5-great episodes in full season, but when an award-giving body decided to recognize it, doesn’t mean that that award-giving is a joke… Besides, every award giving body has it’s own criteria and process on how to recognize a specific show and that is what we should understand…

I’m happy for Modern Family and Parks and Rec… But I believe TC forgot Elisabeth Moss for Individual Achievement in Drama…

46. Amber says:

Glad to see someone appreciate Raising Hope.

47. Tee says:

Glad to see Peter Dinklage on there. And Justified had an excellent season, glad to see that recognized along with the wonderful performances Margo Martindale gave this year.

Also yay for Good Wife and Julianna Margulies.

48. T says:

The most interesting nominee to me is ” The Voice” for best reality program. I love that show but it hasn’t even aired a full season. So excited for P&R and “Community”!! I hope they carry the momentum into The Emmy noms. There are no 2 comedy shows more deserving.

49. pam says:

Friday night lights-way to go!!!! BEST SHOW EVER! Congrats to justified, the walking dead and the killing. Great shows as well! Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton should be nominated as well!

• Lolly says:

I agree 100%!!! Friday Night Lights was the best ever…can’t believe it’s over for good. I’m really going to miss those characters…very talented actors!

50. D says:

No Dexter, but yes on Raising Hope? Guess S5 really WAS as bad as everyone said.

(Nothing against RH, by the way…I was just hoping for both.)