Criminal Minds Star Feels 'Confident' That Thomas Gibson Will Be Back

With the Criminal Minds writers now reconvened to start plotting out Season 7 — and with but three weeks left until production starts on the new cycle — Thomas Gibson has yet to ink a new deal with the hit CBS crime drama. But at least one castmate suspects that, even though Gibson’s talks with the show had stalled last week, viewers have not seen the last of Hotch.

When TVLine spoke with Joe Mantegna on Monday at the 2nd Annual SAG Foundation Golf Classic in Tarzana, Calif., we asked if he thought Gibson’s contract talks would be hammered out in time for production on Season 7. “I certainly hope so,” he answered. Mantegna then added, “I feel confident about it… that they’ll work it out. It’ll all be what it’ll be.”

It’s Official: Criminal Minds Welcomes Back Paget Brewster, Bids Farewell to Rachel Nichols

Keep in mind, Mantegna is the same one who told us he felt “optimsitic” that Paget Brewster would return to the show that famously sent her character packing — two weeks before that somewhat unexpected turn of events was officially announced as in fact happening.

When invited to speculate on how Criminal Minds might accommodate Gibson’s absence should a deal not be arrived at — handily enough, Hotch seemed to be quietly exiting stage left as Season 6 drew to a close — Mantegna didn’t bite. “I’m not thinking past all of us being together on that floor stage at work,” he said.

Criminal Minds‘ Shemar Moore Signs New Deal

Mantegna told us that the mood amongst the cast was “very happy” in light of the season-finale return of A.J. Cook’s JJ and Brewster’s now-officially announced comeback as Prentiss. As for the sad side effect of all the good news — that Rachel Nichols’ run on the show would end — he said, “She did a great, great job and… she’s going to do just fine. She’s a young actress, so she’s got her whole career ahead of her.” (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

1. abc123 says:

Hm… wasn’t NBC also “very confident” that Chris Meloni would be back on SVU next season? ‘memba how that turned out?

• Esaul says:

Yeah. But this is CBS we’re talking about too in comparison to NBC. I’m sure he’ll be back.

• kristine says:

yeah, but CBS seems to be way more competent than NBC these days.

• James Firkins says:

Well NBC sucks. Remember, they passed on CSI because they didn’t think it would make it past the pilot. Plus they let that awful Leno, Jay Leno on at 10pm, remember how that turned out. NBC is like the drunk cousin that thinks fire eating sounds easy to do.

• jen says:

I think it was ABC, not NBC, who passed on CSI in the beginning.

When it comes to contract talks, anything can happen. What an actor says to the fans or media, isn’t necessarily what happens in negotiations. I don’t think they want to disappoint fans, but for the actors it’s just a job. I like Gibson, but I don’t think he is as critical to the show as Petersen was on CSI, or Harmon is on NCIS.

• Alicia says:

Yes, and Fox/David Shore were confident Lisa Edelstein would return to House.
      Gotta say, I have a feeling of dread… and is Thomas still in Monaco or has he returned to the states? I doubt being overseas is conducive for negotiations.
      When it was reported LE was still in contract talks she was Paris and I thought, “why isn’t your a$$ back in LA working this out??” Not a good sign that Thomas is also away when talks have reportedly stalled. Even though he’s abroad to promote the show that can wait until a new deal is inked!

And yes, CBS is that stupid. Have you all forgotten what happened with Paget & AJ?? Competent my a$$…

• kristine says:

not for nothing, but their agents do their contract negotiations. the actor could be in Timbuktu and their agents would just report to them on the phone what’s going on. then if the actor likes the offer, they pull the trigger on the deal. they don’t actually have to physically be there.

• sophie says:

Thomas is in London with MGG, Paget Brewster and her boyfriend.

• Raechel says:

He is London doing stuff to Promote Criminal Minds over there. That was in another article.

• Suncatcher says:

- Thomas Gibson has been consistent in saying he would like to get away from the very long commutes he has from his family in Arizona to LA and he is tired of the “dark” scripts he must work with 26 weeks out of the year on CM. Some are thinking he will only come back if CBS offers him an obscene amount of money and/or more time off to be with his family. Otherwise, he has made up his mind (to leave CM). I hope I am wrong! I have watched CM since the very first show and have all its DVDs in my library.

– A positive consideration, CBS is in a quandry knowing they really ticked off the CM fans by what they did to AJ Cook and Paget Brewster this past season. They know they will be toast if they lose Thomas Gibson = big incentive for CBS to pay him what he wants.

– If Gibson does not return, maybe CBS will hire Chris Meloni to replace him? Kidding!

• Maria says:

- Thomas NEVER has said that he’s tired of the commutes, as he and his family decided that was way better for their kids than to live in LA, even though they were perfectly aware that his job would force him to make that trip countless times. And BTW, he doesn’t have his home in Arizona, unless San Antonio has changed States while nobody was watching.
        – Thomas has said time and again and several more times to make sure everybody got it (you must live in a different planet than us) that he wants to remain in Criminal Minds as he thinks there are still more stories to tell about Hotch.
        – The “joke” about them hiring Meloni got old quickly and a long time ago.

• BT says:

Can you post some links to the articles where TG says he’s tired of the “dark” scripts? I know this was why Mandy Patinkin left, but I don’t remember hearing anything about TG having the same complaint (other than your comments). I’d be interested in reading exactly what he’s been saying about that!

2. Tiffany says:

I sure hope Joe’s right (again). CM without Hotch isn’t CM at all!

3. CM says:

No Hotch no Criminal Minds. Him, Reid, JJ and Emily can never leave.

4. Mary J says:

Gotta love Joe!

5. Ashley says:

I really hope Joe is right again because there’s no “Criminal Minds” without Thomas Gibson’s Hotch. It would be so disappointing to lose Gibson after we finally got A.J. Cook and Paget Brewster back!

6. Barb says:

Only started watching the show this past season and Hotch is basically the backbone of the team. It’s just surprising that they are cutting it so close with finalizing the deal with TG.

7. Ele says:

Glad to hear Joe so optimistic, they seem to all get along and want to be together and that is the reason this team works so well onscreen!!!!! Gotta love them all! Bring Thomas back and the family will be complete!!!!!

8. phil says:

Why is there consistently so much drama behind the scenes on this show? The could film a reality show about the off set drama.

9. Brittany says:

If Hotch (or Reid for that matter) leaves I will not watch this show. He is the glue that holds the team together.

I hope they don’t make a huge mistake by letting him go.

10. Eva says:

Totally agree with you!! Happy to have AJ & PB back but the team won’t be complete without TG!!

11. Joey says:

NO! NO! NO! Hotch must stay! When you have a winning show, why on earth would you change it? It’s like a business…if it’s making money, EVERYONE is doing their jobs. If it’s not, then you make changes. Get it??? Business 101.
    I don’t even get tired of the re-runs…which is exactly what I’m watching right now.

12. cmfan says:

Chris Meloni has been doing svu for a long time, and the last time he negotiated along with Mariska Hargitay, everyone knew the clock was ticking for them to keep doing svu. It looks like Thomas Gibson wants to come back, he is doing all the press stuff still. But I do believe criminal minds will not be same if he doesn’t come back.

13. delaney says:

Won’t watch without Thomas Gibson! CM is not CM without Hotch! Hotch is the signature character on CM and Thomas Gibson is the lead and glue that defines the show.

Pay him what he wants and get on with it ABC/CBS!

14. Bob says:

If he doesn’t re-sign, it reinforces the message sent by him and others (Meloni, Edelstein) that studios/producers can’t just expect people to sign on the dotted line if they feel they’re getting screwed in the deal. I wish more actors (most of the cast of Grey’s) would do the same. Someone has to take a stand.

15. Cathy says:

If he’s gone, so am I. As much as I love the rest of the crew, Thomas Gibson epitomizes the best ofthe best in this show. And he should have gotten an emmy for the scene in the car when he was talking to his ex-wife before she was murdered. It’s not CSI without William Petersen, and it’s not Criminal Minds without Gibson.

16. I_Captain Blanco says:

I could care less about Thomas Gibson. Without Kirsten Vangsness, on the other hand, there’d be no show at all.

17. Kevin says:

Give up watching Criminal Minds already. CBS is too old renewing shows like CSI and NCIS and tired old reality competitions like Survivor and Amazing Race.

18. Catia Rezende says:

I think there is nothing to fear, Thomas back yes. What about Rachel Nichols does not think she has done a great job, if not, she would not have left the serie.
    And I’m very happy with the return of AJ and the return of Paget. Our fight was not in vain.
    VIVA CRIMINAL MINDS…THE FAMILY BACK….

19. nerissa says:

I don’t see how anyone can say he is not important. CM without Hotch is not CM. Hotch is the heart, he’s the one that keeps us grounded and we all got even more attached to him when his wife was killed. He is critical and for CBS not to know that would be foolish. I love CM but I

20. nerissa says:

don’t plan on watching it without Hotch!