30 Rock's Tracy Morgan Declares, 'If I Had a Gay Son I Would Love Him'

Tracy Morgan’s headline-grabbing Damage Control Tour continues.

Four days after the 30 Rock star apologized for unleashing an anti-gay rant during a comedy act, Morgan once again expressed deep regret for his choice of words in an interview with hip-hop mogul Russell Simmons (via GlobalGrind.com).

“I guess the reason I am successful is because I am so unfiltered,” he said. “And sometimes as a result I say really stupid s–t. The truth is if I had a gay son, I would love him just as much as if he was straight … I might have to try to love even more because I know of the difficulty that he would have in society.”

Morgan’s now-infamous tirade — during which he said that he’d “stab” his son if he turned out to be gay — drew a strong rebuke from his 30 Rock boss Tina Fey, who called his comments “disturbing… at a time when homophobic hate crimes continue to be a life-threatening issue.”

“Of all the sicknesses, there is probably none more abusive than homophobia,” Morgan told Simmons. “My heart is committed to giving everyone the same rights that I deserve for myself. I don’t care if you love the same sex as long as you have the ability to love someone. Also, you should have the right no matter who you are to protect and serve our country. I am deeply sorry for the comments I made. What I am most sad about is the comments I made about kids and bullying. I would never want any young person to think that I wasn’t on their side and if any young person thinks they can bully a young gay kid, come see me at 30 Rock. On the corner, I would be happy to meet you.  Or Brooklyn if you can’t make it into Manhattan.

“When all of this set in, I realized how hurtful my words were,” he added. “Not asking anyone to feel sorry for me or pity me, but I definitely don’t want or need people to defend me. In my heart, I know that the words I used are indefensible. I appreciate the love from my friends and fans, but I was wrong. Period. Now, I just gotta think of some funny s***, not some s–t that gets me knocked upside my head.”

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Controversy, News

1. Dick Whitman says:

Ugh. Sorry, I didn’t get past the second paragraph. Please stop posting about this person. Thanks.

• sandguy says:

He can not be forgiven for his biggest sin, he was not funny.

• Dick Whitman says:

He should be executed IMO

• Alex says:

Yes, he should be executed because we live in North Korea where you can’t say anything you want, and we all know that stand up comics are always saying 100% truths when they are on stage. Don’t be a dumbass. I don’t agree with the stuff he said, but he has the right to say whatever he wants. But saying what you said makes you a hypocritical moron. You don’t like what he said because it was hateful, so now you want to kill him. That sounds kinda hateful. If people are to be tolerant of gays, then people should also be tolerant of people who are anti-gay. It’s only fair. You don’t have to agree with them, just ignore them. The problem with the world today is people take everything WAY too seriously and personally. Get over it. He said this stuff during a comedy routine. He apologized for it. Twice. He didn’t actually kill a gay kid. And so what if he actually is homophobic. He also has the right to believe whatever he wants to believe, no matter how much you don’t like it. Stop trying to control everybody else and just worry about yourselves.

• james says:

Dick Whitman is just giving Tracy a taste of his own medicine, meaning saying he should be executed is a mean spirited joke. Seeing your reaction, you must realized how that is quite wrong. Also, being “tolerant” means not actively making gay slurs, joking or not. Also, a major issue about Tracy’s speech is not only homophobia, but violence against children. Let’s see how you “tolerate” that.

• Dick Whitman says:

What James said.

• Michael says:

I don’t get this BS about people taking away freedoms like freedom of speech when they post comments on blogs or complain to GLAAD. You are forgetting one thing, Alex. Tracy was free to say whatever the eff he wanted to say. AND, HE SAID IT. No one silenced him. So stop spewing this crap about free speech and freedoms. None of his rights have been taken away. He didn’t have to apologize. He can be happily homophobic if he chooses to be so and continue with his vitriolic diatribes at his shows. People may walk about. He may fail to find work and an audience. That still doesn’t mean his rights have been taken away. He ALWAYS and under any circumstance say what he chooses.(By the way…I guess it’s ok for Tracy to advocate STABBING in a comedy show, but it’s not ok for a poster to jokingly call for his execution.)

I feel like rambling today, so I will. After all of that, I think that he deserves the benefit of the doubt. I can’t speak for Tracy since I don’t know him but I also don’t believe that a comedian believes everything he says in a routine, especially someone as ridiculous as Tracy Morgan. Something good can come out of this mess, something much more beneficial than the detriment caused by that horrid routine. I’ll give him a second chance since I’ve received many myself.

• Jrub 1970 says:

Well said.

• Smarter Than You (isn't everyone?) says:

Didn’t read past your first sentence since you didn’t get it. No one is advocating execution, but if you’re incapable of understanding there people have to be responsible then you’re talking (and writing) too much and not listening. So I choose not to read past your first sentence.

• ash says:

He doesn’t like me because im gay so I don’t like him because he’s black.

• Ed says:

You aren’t helping. Countering hate with more hate only makes it worse. You should try to be the bigger person instead of lowering yourself to that level. Now you have made yourself no better than him with your “joke”.

• daniel says:

Ok i already you regret your choice of words but cmon is TRACY MORGAN!! You really cannot take this guy seriously. In fact, i take his apology (which he shouldnt have made) more seriously than his joke. I know its a serious case but look at it this way: you made a joke (I hope it was a joke) and then took it back because of what people said and it made you feel bad (i hope it did) and that my friend is exactly whats going on with tracy right now but on a much more dramatic scale. People need to laugh or not laugh and just move on. Crtiticism is never needed. If a person is not good enough to realize their mistake themselves well then thats who they are.

• daniel says:

Sorry, the first line should be ” I already know” dont criticise me for this…. i saw my mistake

• Frank says:

@ Daniel

You don’t think that even a fool like Tracy Morgan has fans that would follow him? He’s just spreading hate and giving morons like himself reason and license to stab gays.

• MamaLarson3 says:

LOVE the ‘Dick Whitman’ username. Its a funny little wink-wink, nod-nod to a character who says whatever pops into his head…like you. :)

• Hastor says:

Why not quit clicking on links about this person, and bothering to comment on them? The clicks and comments show that there is interest and that they should keep doing it.

2. KCatty says:

Well written, Ms. Fey. Very well written indeed.

• Alicia says:

My thoughts exactly. When did he become so eloquent and insightful on the issue? He gained an awful lot of perspective in a few short days…

• steven says:

HAHA THOUGHT THE SAME THING!
        Should 86 him from the show.. I know a ton of people who wont watch it anymore now :(

• Bob says:

Looks like MAJOR damage control. Desperately trying to save his job. Just want to know who wrote all of that for him, because most of that doesn’t sound anything like him. Also interesting to see how he’s changed some of his basic beliefs in just a few days. Don’t try to kid anyone, Tracy, your true belief system tells you that homosexuality is wrong. That’s why you said what you said on stage. So why pretend to be something you’re not?

3. Ashley says:

Whoever he has hired for damage control did nicely. But I’m not buying it. You don’t go from saying something like that to saying something like this without a network (NBC) breathing down your neck to fix it, on top of your own people.

• Sioban says:

That’s so true… It’s too late… I am not believing his latest statement at all. The stinky cat is already out of the bag.

• Ryan says:

How do you people not get that the man is a comedian? What he says on stage is not exactly a representation of who HE is. Do you really think that Chris Rock is a 100% racist and hates white people? Watching his stand up you might, assuming you take his ACT as real.

Different words, but same freaking concept here. It was a JOKE. If people didn’t find it funny, that’s fine, don’t laugh. That’s the end of it, period. Don’t make a giant effing controversy over a freaking joke.

I guess the PC Police in this stupid country have finally invaded the comedy clubs. I guess nothing is sacred anymore…..or safe.

• Jenn says:

I agree Ryan! People can berate the President of the United States in the name of comedy, but God forbid a joke is made about a particular race, creed, or sexual orientation. PC in this country has gone way too far. I realize this is a sensitive subject, but the man is a comedian. I doubt he truly feels this way. I’ve heard him say plenty of off color things. Besides, if Alec Baldwin was given another chance after calling his daughter a thoughtless little pig (and we all know that was no joke), then Tracy has to be given another chance. I will stop watching the show if he is fired…because that would be the ultimate hypocrisy!

• Emma says:

The problem to me isn’t that HE is serious. The problem really arises when already ignorant people take him seriously. Not everyone is smart enough to understand that he’s JOKING. Even something like that said jokingly is not funny, and it IS offensive. I’m sure Tracy Morgan wouldn’t find it funny if someone started making jokes about hating and stabbing African Americans just because of their skin color. Things said in jest are still things said. Period.

4. Matt says:

Call me cynical, but I think someone told him to say that :D.

Either way, it was expected and generic.

5. merikat says:

I can’t say I believe him. Maybe if he goes on and doesn’t do it again — and gets a better reputation in his private life for not being a homophobe — then maybe I’ll begin to believe it.

But till then? Nope.

6. Scott says:

IMHO THIS apology seems more sincere. He’s in show business though, so is it real or just a way to save $$$$$face$$$$$? Call me jaded, but I’m not sure.

7. Dan says:

Ok. It’s one thing to back-peddle and apologize, but I still wonder why he gone and say it in the first place. Was it a just a bit he did for his show? Cause, if this is what he believes in and is committed to… then he’d never take his material to such a mean and violent level in the first place.

It’s hard to reconcile his act from last week and what he’s saying now. I wish someone would ask tough questions that get at the core of the controversy. Like, if he’s sensitive to these social issues, then what was the thought process while he come up with his material? Why would he have thought that’s funny?

I would really want to see an interviewer have a genuine (and even-tempted) conversation with Morgan.

8. muir says:

Except this isn’t a case of someone being stupid in an irresponsible or accidental or drunk or idiotic way. If you’re not homophobic, you don’t go around saying homophobic things. He might not have wanted to go publicly as far as he did, and what he said may have been exaggerated versions of his own feelings, but dude. If those feelings had no basis in your own, you wouldn’t have gone off on a homophobic rant. It’s really as simple as that.

• Aurore says:

Helloooo! He is a comic. They will say homophobic, racist, misogynistic…things weather they believe it or not because it make us laugh.
      Here, he pushed it to far and it wasn’t funny. That’s it.
      Can you honestly say that you never laugh at a joke on catholic, muslim, jews, women, black, homosexual, canadian… We all did. Sometimes I was offended and I laughed anyway because it was funny.
      That the only thing he is guilty about: he wasn’t funny.
      But because gay community is powerful and there has been way to many case of gay bulling everybody is offended. Had he said the same thing but with mormon instead of gay and everyone would have forgotten it already.

9. TigerNightmare says:

It’s amazing that people are still butthurt about this. No one is saying he said good things, but are we really supposed to believe he was serious about stabbing his own son? Really? How many times does the guy have to say sorry?

• Boksta says:

Exactly. I mean what he expressed was an extreme of an honest opinion. Most heterosexual parents will be a little shaken when they hear their child is gay. Does that mean the guy was really going to stab his son? Pleassseee. Why is it that there are certain segments of society cannot take a joke, think about all the riots in europe from muslims over a mohamed comic and think about how similar this reaction is. Totally overboard. Maybe if they learned to laugh it off there would be less jokes about them because it wouldn’t get a reaction.

• Mocha says:

I don’t think your example of the outcry created by the Mohammed comic is exactly comparable–in the Islamic faith, many people are strongly against visual depictions of the prophets. So though I think the riots were somewhat of an overreaction, they weren’t merely because the Muslims involved couldn’t take a joke. And I doubt anyone really thinks Tracy Morgan would actually stab his son–I object more to his scoffing at bullying and placing the blame on the victims. (And his alleged subsequent sexist rant about women, but nobody seems to be talking about that, so whatever.)

• Ariella says:

Uh, you’re the one that sounds “butthurt.” Get over it yourself, blatant homophobe…

• @TigerNightmare says:

Enough times that his possibly-gay son doesn’t feel threatened of being stabbed by his own father should he ever come to the realization that he’s gay. Enough times that gay kids who are bullied in school by people who think this kind of tasteless joking is “funny” actually believe his apology instead of his homophobic vitriol. It’s not looking particularly good for him, no. Additionally, anybody has the right to feel offended at anything. It’s not for you to dictate how much time should pass before people stop being “butthurt” over something. People were offended. He committed the offense. Now he’s got the choice to grovel or not. He’s apparently chose to grovel but he’s doing as good a job at that as he does at being funny.

10. GK says:

The Tracey Morgan we generally see in the public is a character and not who he is as a person. If he was really like the crazy egomaniac whack-job we know, then he would NEVER, EVER have friends or a job. Some people have a lot less understanding then they demand for their own mistakes!

• Bob says:

Then the “grown-up, responsible, normal” Tracy Morgan should have been on stage that night to filter his “comedy” (which it WASN’T). He honestly believes in the things he was spouting. It’s part of his belief system. Now he’s just pretending to save his job/career.

11. John Berggren says:

I’m glad that this issue is being addressed, but honestly, I don’t trust him.

12. rolo says:

It’s a pretty decent apology.

13. DogBoy says:

But if he said “he’d stab his girlfriend if she screwed the neighbor”– that would be 100% OK. Typical Hollywood BS, he’s a wimp for apologizing. Comedians have said much, much worse.

14. Nancy says:

let’s get one thing clear. You never go around saying you’re going to stab someone and ever think its a joke. Never.

Tracy is a sick man and this PR bulls*it is getting thick. Nothing this guy could say or any PR flack he could hire would take away the stink of this homophobic.

His contunued employment by Tina and NBC just condones his disguting actions.

• Bret says:

Really? You’ve never heard anybody joke about stabbing someone? You obviously are a very sheltered person. Also, I bet you’ve never said or done anything you ever regretted. But I’m sure if you did, you would make sure that your boss fired you and you went and lived under a rock for the rest of your life so that you never bothered anybody ever again, because that’s apparently what you want Tracy Morgan to do.

• D says:

Aziz Ansari did a bit about stabbing a Subway employee once. He’s on the very well received by critics TV show, Parks and Recreation, and is getting plenty of movie deals.

Maybe you should take a stab at widening your scope of vision.

15. Dave says:

He was definitely worng in saying what he did but I do believe he deserves a second chance. I know I have said stupid stuff in the past just either trying to joke around or whatever and ended up offening someone. I am lucky that most of those people knew me well enough that I was not serious. Unfotunately none of us know the who Tracey Morgan is behind closed doors. He has apologized for what he said and even taken it one step futher with these comments now. Give him another chance geez. If it happens again then yeah by all mean don’t believe him and hate him the rest of your lives but with this being his first offense he deserves another chance. I think he could really say just about anything I mean he could be on his hands an knees tears running down his face apologizing and people are just going to say “I don’t believe it. Nice act buddy. I hate you forever”. Well I hope one day if any of you that are so quick to judge a man you don’t even know mess up and say something offensive to people, that the people you offend are more willing to forgive you than any of you have been to fogive Tracey Morgan.

16. RIchy says:

Can someone say…..ISIAH WASHINGTON…..???!!
    Tracy Morgan- your career is over!

• Delon says:

What Isiah Washington said and done was much worse than this. Utterly unforgivable. It was a tasteless joke Tracy Morgan made. I don’t think he would stab his kid or anybody’s for any reason. I accept his apology.

• Richy says:

@ Delon’s remarks. I am trying to attack what you said. I am merely trying to explain that Isaiah Washington and Tracy Morgan’s comments have 1 thing in common. They were both homophobic remarks. Remarks aimed at gay people. They were both derogatory remarks.
        Very similar to …..” I would stab my daughter if she married a black man”….
        See the connection?!

• Bob says:

Like Washington, Morgan was saying something about what he truly believes. He honestly believes that homosexuality is wrong and a “sin”. Otherwise, he wouldn’t be spouting such nonsense, even under the alleged context of “comedy” (which it was NOT).

17. ET says:

It seems pretty sincere to me. He doesn’t ask anyone to stick up for him or apologize for him because straight up – what he said was wrong.
    I have not heard anyone say that this language is normal for him. If it happens again or if someone has video to show that this typical behavior for him, I would think otherwise and be done with him. But if this is an isolated incident, he should have a chance.

You have the right to not listen to someone. But to say anyone is condoning his words by not firing him, I think you’re wrong. I don’t think that helps. Now if some group could get Tracy Morgan to campaign for gay marriage on Capitol Hill – think about the attention that would get. That would be a much better result.

18. Brad says:

Too late he already stated his true feelings the first time now he trying to engage Damamge control? Too late no excuses for it to happen never should have happened in the first place.

19. mdb says:

i just hope he never had children period – he is not fit to be a parent

• Scott says:

He has three: Gitrid (born in 1986); Malcolm (born in 1988); and Tracy Jr.(born in 1992).

• D says:

Yes, because you know Tracy Morgan because you’ve seen some movies and 30 Rock. It’s always amazing and intriguing how celebrity fixation brings out the worst and the dumbest in people. I bet you have an opinion on the cast of Jersey Shore, a bunch of people paid to act like buffoons.

The only difference between us and them is our faults and skeletons aren’t laid bare. But hey, even if your not famous, I’m sure your family and close friends have plenty of gossip about you when you’re not in the room.

20. Ryan says:

This wouldn’t be Tracy’s second chance, but his third. He got in trouble before for saying homophobic comments. So, how many chances does one get? I mean Mel Gibson goes on and on hating Jews and we’re supposed to believe he’s not anti-semetic? If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, then odds are IT’S A DUCK!!!!

21. Classic Liberal says:

And then I say, “POLITICAL CORRECTNESS SUCKS! It is strangling the national discourse!”

And then some pinhead goes, “But it isn’t about Political Correctness, it’s about a little something called RESPECT FOR PEOPLE’S FEELINGS! (maybe you’ve heard of it)”

And then I say, “Yeah, but it’s never actually CALLED Political Correctness, is it? (Even though it is) It always seems to be called something else, but it still amounts to the same thing: Limiting freedom of speech.”

And then some OTHER pinhead goes, “Gay kids are being bullied and dying every day because of this kind of ‘freedom of speech.’ So get over yourself and start showing a little compassion.”

And then I say, “SO WHO CAN WE RAZZ IN A PLAYFUL WAY WITHOUT FEELING LIKE WE’RE ENDANGERING LIVES OR JEOPARDIZING RACE AND GENDER RELATIONS? ANYBODY…? (BESIDES, OF COURSE, STRAIGHT WHITE MALES, WHO ARE ALWAYS FAIR GAME CUZ THEY’RE THE MOST ENFRANCHISED. ANYBODY ELSE…?)”

• Emily says:

Man, you are entirely missing the point. Comediens can make fun of situations, people, etc., -but it has to be done with some sensitivity. I always knew the punchline with Chris Rock for example -he delivered his comedy with me knowing full well this is a comedy routine. But Tracy continued to rant on -it no longer became a comedy routine -it became a veiled statement expressing his homophobia -and that is offensive to many people -gay or straight.

The one thing that bothers me about your post is that you imply that it is alright to make fun of gay people. That if you can’t make fun of gay people who can we “razz” now. With all the political corrrectiveness going on -the only people safe are white people. Well, there are plenty of jokes going around for everyone -it is how you express your humor that makes it comical or disgusting. Tracy is a terrible comic -he does not know where the line is drawn between comedy and offending people. Plus he has a record of homophobia from previous acts.

22. abc123 says:

Too late and insincere. There is nothing in the world that can make me believe that this man is not a homophobe. He’s simply backtracking in a blatant effort to save his now ruined career. Not gonna happen!

TINA, FIRE HIS A$$!!!

23. Terry says:

Anybody that has kept up with Tracy Morgan over the years, knows that he says whatever pops in his head at the moment. Most times he is funny, there are times when he isn’t. He said something terribly wrong in Nashville, he knows it was bad and now he is asking to be forgiven. He is not a bad person, just needs to think before speaking.

24. TJ says:

Too Little Too Late! If you did not mean it, you should not have said it in the first place! Apologizing after the fact, when it is already out there, means you are only trying to save your career. What is in your heart came out, and it is nasty.

25. SallyinChicago says:

The so-called tirade was supposedly a joke, but Tracey didn’t know his demographics and his audience. It would have gone over in NYC or another urban area.

26. Chi says:

I haven’t heard tracy’s whole rant but the segment of his rant in the paragraph is pretty funny cause its “dark humour” . But he shouldn’t have kept going on about it, maybe not even have made the jokes about homosexuals. I’m sure he is really sincere about the apology even though some say someone else wrote it. – written by a straight man, Chinese man, 22 years old, grew up in California, a seventh day adventist, who accepts the gay community.

27. Dirusso says:

Look he’s a comedian he said something that at the moment he thought was funny. Im a gay man and not offended. It’s his right as a citizen of this country to say whatever his heart pleases. I will continue to watch him being hilarious!

• Delon says:

Ditto.

• Km says:

Double ditto

• JT says:

do not agree, just because he is a comedian, does not mean it is okay to say something like this, in the moment or not, he is not hilarious, he is a nasty piece of work and as a gay man I am offended by him and anyone who thinks his comments are part of a comedy routine and therefore okay.

• @Dirusso says:

He has the right to keep on being tasteless and not funny with his jokes and the right to this poor apology. You have the right to not be offended and keep on thinking his jokes are hilarious. I have the right to be offended and to call him a tasteless not-funny insensitive homophobic d*ck. Because, apparently, most people think that Freedom of Speech means acting with no respect towards others and getting away with it.

28. Jim says:

He should substitute “black” for “gay” in his original comment and think how it would make him feel.

29. Km says:

It was said at a freakin comedy routine, done are the days of sticks and stones will break my bones. I thankfuly can still find humor in everything.

• TJ says:

and when someone gets hurt due to this “comedy routine” will you find the humor in that? Yes there are people out there who will follow the lead of words said by jerks like this, so will you laugh when this turns bad?

• Mary says:

I can’t believe you would had laughed at some of those remarks Tracy made to his audience. If you found humor in any of that -then your sense of humor is not shared by most folks. Obviously you have never been ridiculed the way that gay people are ridiculed. Otherwise you would understand how offensive this is. “Stabbing my son if he turned out gay” -that’s supposed to elicit laughs. Would you laugh -when kids are killing themselves because of the ridicule they get for being gay. People have a right to be upset -have your opinion but know it is not very Christian to hate -or allow hate to be veiled in a comedy routine.

30. Clara says:

I couldn’t finish this article because I just don’t believe he could turn around his attitudes so quickly. If he was truly sorry -he would had apologized to the audience he spoke to. He only did it after an audience member reported on it and it hit the press. It was alright when nobody knew it but it’s not now, c’mon -I’m not buying it. Tracy is just trying to save face to his coworkers and the network -and to save his career.
    This will live forever on the internet -just like it lives on for the guy who played Krammer from Seinfeld. It won’t disappear -he will forever be known for this. He should had changed his routine when he saw that peoples beliefs are changing in this country about gay people. Hopefully our sons and daughters will not live in a world with such hatred. I still can’t believe it has only been a few decades since interracial marriage stopped being illegal. Times are a changing.

31. Freedom? says:

I at least, was under the impression that the first amendment of the United States supported free speech.. Personally, I dispise what he said, and I think it is one of the most hateful things I have ever heard, but I mean, he’s a comedian. There has been worse stuff said by comedians, and there will be worse than this again, its just a fact of life.

32. james says:

33. KL says:

Why do people preach about tolerance when they refuse to show understanding and forgiveness toward someone who is admitting he made a stupid mistake? The hypocrisy toward him now is just ridiculous. You don’t sway people to your way of thinking by being hateful yourself. You just make people think you are not a better person than the one you refuse to forgive.

It’s also funny to see people saying they refuse to watch the show now. So basically they are going to punish the gay people that work on 30 Rock in an attempt to effect some sort of vengeful payback against Morgan.

• notbuyingit says:

a “stupid mistake”, is not saying he would stab someone just becasue of their sexual preference, if he did not mean it that way, he should not have said it. I can forgive an honest man, who is truly sorry for a “mistake”, but a nasty person who blurts out hateful comments, trying to be funny, trying to get a laugh, that is crossing a line.

• Em says:

So you know Tracy Morgan and you know if his apology is sincere? He said some stupid words in an attempt to be funny. He didn’t commit an act of violence. You sound judgmental and hateful yourself. And I’m sure you will need some forgiveness in the future. Hopefully the people that need to forgive you will show you more kindness than you want to show others.

• notbuyingit says:

I am far from a hateful person, in fact I have been told I am too forgiving. And I most certainly have never thought nor said anything as vile as this man. I just know that when you can say I would stab my son if he were gay, then to say I would love me say, something is not right. Flip Flopping to make people happy, one way or the other does not make you a honest person. I do not have to know the man to see that he is just trying to save his own butt.

• Em says:

Why should I take you at your word when you refuse to do the same for others? You sound like a very judgmental, intolerant and unforgiving person. At least Tracy Morgan is admitting he is wrong, while you want to keep the hate going instead of giving him a chance to back up his apology.

34. Ron says:

So people are saying that Tracy Morgan’s words in a comedy routine (funny or not) are wrong because it will encourage kids that it’s okay to bully gay kids. What do Tina Fey and the rest have to say about violent lyrics in music about women? Or other forms of entertainment offering violent images and words? Women are raped and murdered during acts of violent sexual aggression every day in this world, yet celebrities defend these other offerings as “entertainment” or “free speech”. Celebrities are not consistent in what they condone and what they condemn. Clearly they will turn on a friend to be on the “right side” of a PC issue.

35. Cory Myers says:

Tracey Morgan will learn from his mistake. As a gay male I am offended by what he said, but I also have personal experience from getting to carried away with things I have said. Sometimes your mouth moves a lot faster than your brain. Yes he should be punished. He should have to do community service, PSAs, and everything else in his power to help raise awareness for what is going on with the LGBT community. I think it’s a little extreme for people to say he should be executed, or anything else happen to him like that. What good will that do? We have someone here who like many people need to be properly educated on the facts. What he said is wrong there is no question to that and it should not have been said, however, we need to help him and other people learn from this. Hate will not stop hate, violence will not stop violence.

36. Drew Melbourne says:

What Tracy Morgan did wrong: He told jokes that were hurtful at the expense of people in society who get stomped on regularly. I don’t believe for a second that Tracy Morgan has anything against gay people, but the jokes he made showed a lack of human empathy.

Comedians sometimes have trouble defending themselves in situations like this, because when you say, “That’s just a character I play to get laughs.” it can hurt your credibility. Like if Gilbert Gottfried explained in his normal voice that he doesn’t shout all the time. It would kill the illusion.

Similarly, it’s hard for Tracy Morgan to say “I don’t mean any of the crazy stuff I say, and I say it to sound crazy, ’cause that’s my character.” because it damages the illusion.

37. Ky says:

I really don’t care what he says, myself. His right to free speech includes my right to ignore him. My concerns are these: A GLBT teenager, already a victim of bullying or bashing, with homophobic parents, really doesn’t need to hear a public figure saying he’d “kill” his own child if he found out he was gay. Secondly, why is it the people who most claim to feel bad for gay kids “because of all the pain and discrimination they face” are the very ones causing all the pain and discrimination in the first place?

38. notbuyingit says:

Em, I do not go around telling people I would stab someone just because of the sexual preference. I treat people with respect, until the show themselves to be vile monsters. And to be honest I could give a rat’s tail what you think of me, you have no clue who I am, and I do, and that is what matters. I can forgive most things, but not advocating violence against anyone! So have a great day, and stop being so judgmental yourself!

• Em says:

He didn’t advocate violence against anyone. He told a stupid joke during a comedy routine and has since apologized more than once. Just as I don’t know you (other than by your intolerant words here), you really DON’T KNOW Tracy Morgan and yet you pass judgement by saying he is not sincere in his apology. This issue isn’t just about what Tracy Morgan says and does. It’s also about how people react to him. If you react with a lack of understanding and forgiveness then the people watching YOU are not going to believe you stand on a higher moral ground or have anything to offer in the ways of compassion…so you offer no help in advocating tolerance toward gays because you show no tolerance yourself. The intent should be to have people come together, not push them away with more hate because of your willful refusal to give them another chance. As for you not caring what I think……..you are the one that responded to my post in the first place.

39. Diane says:

I understand why people would be upset about what he said at his show, but you do have to realize that it was comedy. Comedy is about pushing the boundaries and exaggerating. Anyone who actually believes he would stab his son doesn’t understand comedy. What I don’t understand is why people won’t accept his apology. I am reading comments like “I couldn’t finish this article because I just don’t believe he could turn around his attitudes so quickly. If he was truly sorry -he would had apologized to the audience he spoke to.” I entirely believe that he is sorry for what he said. As the article states, he said he thought about it and saw how his words had a negative impact on people and wanted to make it right. While he was at his show, he probably didn’t even realize how hurtful he was, but I believe he will learn from this and try to be better. For the “Tracy-haters” talking about executing him and boycotting everything he ever does, I feel sorry for you that you don’t possess the same tolerance as you are preaching. Oh, and I am a gay woman.

40. JT says:

People are just hurting right now, when someone you see in a certain light says something you do not expect, it stings. I am sure most will forgive him at some point but right now the wound is raw.

41. j s says:

Hard to accept the apology when it’s obviously not his words in this statement release. He may or may not have expressed an apology to his publicist or to whoever wrote this, but they obviously wrote it in a much more eloquent way than he speaks in interviews etc… The apology needs to be expressed in HIS exact words to be credible.

42. Matty J says:

I’ve still got love for Tracy. Apology excepted. Done

43. AJ says:

You are all incredible ignorant about the situation. But I blame the media for twisting Tracy Morgan’s words. His real sentence was something like “I would stab my son if he turned out to gay and didn’t tell me about it” It was obviously an exageration. The whole stabbing thing was supposed to be his attempt at humour in saying he would be really upset if his son didn’t trust him enough to be honest with him about being gay.

44. Jay says:

I think he’s been misquoted. Believe me – I’m not defending him, but didn’t he say he’d st*b his son if he was gay AND didn’t tell him…or something along those lines – still not great, but a big difference.

45. Jay says:

Oh, just see AJ’s posted the same thing…lol. But yeah, it does bother me he’s been so widely misquoted.

46. Walter says:

I feel that comedians should not have to apologize for their routines. Comedians will always say something that offends someone somewhere, but guess what? We live in America and he’s free to do so. We as a society have gotten way to sensitive over EVERYTHING. It’s just words, remember the saying “sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me”? When you take that mentality towards things, you take the meaning of hateful words away. When you take the meaning of hateful words away, you leave the person using them looking dumb. Besides, think this country has more important things to worry about than some comedian making jokes that to some are of poor taste.

47. peter says:

how people can look O.J in the eye and crucify tracy morgan like that !!!!!!!

yeah, yeah he ”said ” a bad thing , but his trying apologise !!!!he didn’t hurt anybody but himself with that joke

48. Jason says:

Was Tracy Morgan so QUICK to forgive Michael Richards for his N-word “comedy” rant? Different group but HATE is HATE. Morgan has NEVER been funny. He’s like “The Situation” at the Trump roast: smirking, enjoying the attention. Morgan’s ENTIRE SNL gig was basically doing one character and chanting “My name is Brian Fellows.” I’m tired of ANY group claiming special privilege because of discrimination their grandfathers endured… then to prove they learned NOTHING… going out and INSULTING another group they think is helpless and has to endure it for some payback. It’s never about FAIRNESS but ALWAYS about POWER. STOP THE HATE. NOW. Comedy is about laughing at tragedy, misery, stupidity and NOT making MORE.

49. Mark says:

Wow. Everyone here, busting on Morgan. I really hope none of you are Christian….Because, your commiting the same sin that Mr. Morgan has. HATE. You can be angry at him. But, no matter what, you’ll need to forgive him. Only God can Judge him. No one else….Just sayin’.

50. supergay says:

if tracy morgan wants to say crazy shiz about killing gays. i say let fly. he is granted freedom of speech in this country. just as i am given the right to bear arms. so when he threatens me. i can shoot him. see how this country works. america. fcuk yeah!