30 Rock's Cheyenne Jackson 'Disgusted and Appalled' By Tracy Morgan's Anti-Gay Rant

Tracy Morgan’s 30 Rock costar Cheyenne Jackson has joined a growing list of celebs condemning the comedian for his anti-gay rant last week — during which he said he’d “stab” his son if he turned out to be gay. Morgan apologized on Thursday for going “too far” with the comedy club act, but that hasn’t quieted the chorus of criticism.

In a strongly-worded statement issued to Out, the openly-gay Jackson said, “I am disgusted and appalled by Tracy Morgan’s homophobic rant. The devastating repercussions of hate-filled language manifest in very real ways for today’s LGBTQ youth. I’ve known Tracy for two years, spent many long hours with him on set, and I want to believe that this behavior is not at the core of who he is. I’m incredibly disappointed by his actions, and hope that his apology is sincere.”

On Friday, Morgan’s 30 Rock boss and costar, Tina Fey, released her own statement, saying, “The violent imagery of Tracy’s rant was disturbing to me at a time when homophobic hate crimes continue to be a life-threatening issue for the GLBT Community.”

Comedian Chris Rock, meanwhile defended Morgan on Twitter, writing, “I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to live in world where Tracy Morgan cant say foul inappropriate s—t.”

His comment prompted a strong rebuke from another openly gay performer, funny lady Wanda Sykes. “Tracy has the right to say whatever he wants to say,” she tweeted, “just like we have the right to say, not acceptable… This isn’t about comedy. What Tracy said is dangerous.”

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Controversy, News

1. lethargic says:

It’s truly pathetic when a comedian can’t make jokes at a comedy show anymore without having to apologize. Our society is truly doomed.

• Dick Whitman says:

I would usually agree with this, but not this time.

There’s jokes and then there’s jokes. The thing about his son was really disturbing and if people laughed at that then, yes, society is doomed.

• judybrowni says:

Join the “Tina Fey, Fire homophobic Tracy Morgan” Facebook page: http://tinyurl.com/3smy9la

• Paul says:

I love all my fellow human beings black white gay straight but this pc world is sad it was a joke RELAX

• Ruby says:

What exactly is funny about saying that if your son told you he was gay you’d shoot him in the stomach? If you can actually answer that, I might think about agreeing with you. But right now, I see absolutely NO humor in that statement.

• Max says:

It’s PC to not go around and call certain groups of people names that were malicious in the past. In this case, the violent imagery and veiled hate is well pronounced.
            I don’t go around making jokes about subjects that are highly inflamatory or derogatory to other human beings. There is a big difference between the type of humor that Chris Rock does and Tracy Morgan does. With Chris, it is done in a jovial way -I always know the punchline is coming -even if the joke is slightly in bad taste. But with Tracy -his jokes were basically statements -there was no punchline -none of it was partically funny. So it looks like he is using his act to cover his hatred of gay people. Plus he really is a bad comedian who doesn’t know how to deliver a punchline.

• Tania says:

People like judybrowni annoy me. They are quick to pounce without giving the offender an opportunity to see the error of his/her way. What arrogance! One should reach out, not take away.

I don’t believe in censorship even in the stand up world. However, in light of what is a very real danger out there for the gay community, this particular *bit* of the set just went too far. I don’t believe that Tracy Morgan is this anti-gay type of individual. It was a major miscalculation on his part. He didn’t think this through. I think that he should meet with the LGBT to get an education so-to-speak of what hateful language can do to real people who face this sort of danger every day.

judybrowni, maybe YOU need to learn a lesson or two as well. Maybe, just maybe, your issues run deeper in this case? Think about it.

• Joe Camel says:

Tracy Morgan has probably performed in literally over 50,000 venues and comedy gigs. The man knows what is and isn’t acceptable to say onstage. He is a professional. This is his living. It’s very much akin to the Michael Richards incident, where a serious darkness that comics have been cultured to feel they have cultivate for their art overtakes the personality they’ve crafted for the stage.

If he was a kid, in his twenties, he could be excused. And if he stopped immediately afterwards and apologized to the audience then maybe there’d be something of performance art in there. But many people there attest that the vibe shifted, that his energy and demeanor changed entirely, not just for this rant, but also the one getting less press where he said successful women are ruining the world because it’s crumbling since moms aren’t in the house anymore.

He knows he did wrong, sure. He knows he messed up bad. But he SHOULD pay the price for it. That’s how professionalism works.

• sadtroll says:

Decent post Joe Camel. The question is what is “the” price he should pay. So many people want him to get fired from 30 Rock but to me that just seems like a complete non-sequitor. It’s like if the high-school soccer coach loses a game he should get fired from his job at 7-11.

The thing that’s really going to decide it is economics and whether or not NBC feels impacted enough to fire him…and if they can find the right legal cause to do so.

• Bob says:

If the soccer coach did something egregious to get fired from his 7-Eleven job, guaranteed the school would be reviewing the incident to determine if he should lose his coaching job.

• M says:

If you took the time to read the accounts of what happened at the club you would know that none of his comments were followed by a punch line. He went on a homophobic rant. It’s as simple as that.

I agree with you that comedians should be allowed to joke about what they want. Even if I do not agree with his opinion on homosexuality being a choice, he has the right to say it. I’d even go so far as to say that he can joke about the bullying – to an extent.

However that line is crossed when it is no longer a joke and becomes about the support of hatred and physical violence against others. His rant was more at home at an anti-gay rally than at a comedy club.

As for the censorship of comedians being the end of American society… I’d say that happens when we don’t stand up and protect our youths who are being bullied and killed for being in love.

• HistoryRepeats says:

That’s what Michael Richards said, I bet. He thought he was being funny, too.

• Michael says:

It’s truly pathetic when ANYONE would think that such a thing is funny and when a comedian thinks that this hate filled rhetoric has a place in a routine and when some schmuck chalks it up to creative license in his post.

• Ed says:

wow, you find his rant funny? it was no “joke”. the fact that people are still making excuses for him just show how homophobic our society still is. if he had made offensive comments about race or religion, no one would said it was a “joke”. but somehow people find anti-gay comment like stabbing his gay son funny. no, he wasn’t attempting to be funny, it was just a plain homophobic comment that showed his true colors.

• sadtroll says:

Nah, I’m pretty sure a religion joke would get a pass and race jokes… I don’t know you Yanks are pretty messed up about that stuff.

Also, no one but the most pathetic troll thinks it was funny. Seriously. No one.

You don’t know his true colors, you’re just projecting.

• OK says:

Yes, people make religious jokes and other offensive jokes all the time, but anyone would get crap for condoning violence. That is the real difference.. it isn’t because it was a gay joke. If he would have said “if my son comes to me and says he’s a Christian I would stab him” that would get a lot of people upset as well.

• AJ says:

What if a white comedian said, “I’d stab my son if he brought home a black girl.” Would that be a joke? I think not.

• Kirstin says:

Doubt Tracy would laugh about one. Everyone has the right of free speech to be sure. But that does NOT guarantee you that you will not have to face consequences for what you say.

• greg says:

If a black guy said that no one would have a problem just like if tracy was openly gay what he said would have been received as joke.so here we go….double standards everyone

• Michael says:

Ugh. You can’t claim double standards with a ridiculous hypothetical. I doubt that there is a gay comedian on the planet to say such a thing. And saying this fictional gay comedian wouldn’t take some flak is to not know the gay community at all. Stick to discussion that isn’t WAY over your head.

• AlecB says:

Not a johke. Not funny.

• Your Mouth + Tailpipe says:

At what point where you designated the official arbiter of all things humor and why was I not allowed to veto? Without proof of proper credentials, you’re just another mook posting barely coherent nonsense.

• Michael says:

Hey pot. How’s it going? I would like to introduce you to kettle.

The poster gave an opinion. I don’t see where he claimed to be an arbiter of ANYTHING. People like you suck the energy out of the world.

• Wow says:

I think it’s implied that everyone commenting on this website is just giving their own opinion and isn’t claiming to be speaking for anyone but themselves. Now here’s my opinion. You have serious issues if you thought that homophobic rant was funny, and you need to see professional help. But hey, that’s just my opinion. I’m not the official arbitrator on your mental state.

• Ruby says:

I think you need to understand the difference between a “joke” and a hate-filled diatribe then. Saying you would shoot someone for being gay isn’t funny in ANY context, period. Especially when you have people like Teena Brandon and Matthew Shepard being murdered for being gay and teens committing suicide constantly out of fear of not being accepted, due to people like Tracy Morgan saying crap like this. THIS is what is causing the doom of our society, not some person who claims to be a comedian (I’ve never seen him do anything funny) pretending his bigotry (he should know better) is a “joke” and then being called out on it.

• Alex says:

No, it’s when people make “jokes” advocating violence against minorities and/or children and no one stands up to say “this is unacceptable”; THAT’S when our society is doomed.

• SallyinChicago says:

Well, he made a joke about HIS son…and we know he wouldn’t kill his son….it was supposed to be a joke….and he thought the audience was adult enough to get it, but obviously it came off harder to some in the audience. As a professional comedian, he should know when to pull back.

• MoDo says:

Our society was doomed the day people thought Tracy Morgan was funny. I’ll know for the future when another comedy hack turns up to spread the rumor that they did a joke about stabbing someone in the LOLBBQ community.

• SallyinChicago says:

I agree with @lethargic….however, it was HOW it was delivered….there are just some things today that people “don’t get”….and I blame Tracey for not knowing his audience and his demographics….I mean, “Nashville”? Please! Maybe it would go over in NYC or Detroit….but there are some cities where the jokes don’t go over well. Comedians understand where he’s coming from, but the general “southern” public, and this particular audience member who was gay, didn’t know.

• Anna says:

If anyone actually finds what he said funny, then our society is doomed. It was incredibly offensive, and I can’t believe anyone would laugh at it.

• Delon says:

He made a tasteless joke and quickly apologized for it. This is no way near the I.Washington/TR Knight incident where i was appalled to my bones. I would never ever forgive what Washington said(twice!), but as a gay man i forgive Tracy Morgan.

• Drew says:

Seriously? Washington made a crude comment (and a pretty common one, amongst gay people and straight people alike) to someone while Knight wasn’t even around and you won’t forgive him… but Tracy Morgan says that he would kill his own son if his son turned out gay and it’s all cool with you?

I’m not going to be lobbying for the death penalty for either of these people. I just think it’s an odd scale you have working there.

• Nick Faust says:

lethargic, I’m with you. It’s the crazy Political Correct Police that stick their god damn nose into stuff like this. The question of degree and intention should play a part in someone’s fury, but to the PC Ps, things that rationally matter don’t. I’m gay and it takes a lot more than THIS to get me hot under the collar.

• Abe Froman says:

I would normally agree. But these weren’t jokes, it was a rant.

• Drew says:

To act as though comedians don’t do this all the time would be silly. Wanda Sykes has been known to say hateful, horrible things about the people she doesn’t like. Tracy Morgan isn’t a unique offender, he just offended the wrong people. If he’d said something about wanting to stab Sarah Palin, we’d never hear about it in the mainstream (Christopher Titus recently made a joke about assassinating Sarah Palin a week or two ago, for example)

This is not a defense of what he said by any means. It was disgusting, hateful, hurtful and a slew of other words, some of which I probably can’t use here. But this is what comedians think their job is these days. They say hateful, hurtful things because if it’s shocking, they think it’s funny.

True comedy is smart. These low class comedians are not smart. They are jumping up and down, waving their arms up in the air, screaming “look at me!” and whatever else will get them attention. What they do is offensive to humanity, not just special interest groups.

2. Bee says:

He should be fired period. If his rant was a racist one, it would have happend by now.

• Em says:

Is this a common theme with him or is this an isolated incident?
      I know everyone wants blood, but how much? I think it would be more beneficial if he had to personally apologize to each person he works with at 30 Rock and perhaps did an interview with someone like Don Lemon and discuss the issue of gay men/homosexuality in the black community. Instead of just asking for blood, why can’t we look at how to make something positive come of this? Kinda of how the ASPCA recruited Vick to work with them to fight dog fighting.
      He came out with his apology quickly and never excused what he said himself, most people would have tried to explain/excuse what they said. He himself said it wasn’t funny so he realized quickly it was wrong. Not quick enough of course.

• sashay says:

Yeah, that was REALLY effective. Nobody took Michael Vicks as sincere, it was just a chore that he undertook as part of his sentence. In the same way, I doubt any of us would think that working with the LGT communities is an expression of remorse. I don’t know how you change someone that thinks that way (well, some people completely change their stance when they discover one of their children is gay), but obviously, in this case that wouldn’t work. I don’t think he should be automatically fired from the show, but I do think it would be difficult for him to show his face to the cast and crew. Perhaps a swift resignation and a low profile for a while would help him to restore his reputation in the long run.

3. VictorG says:

I am a glad that Cheyenne released these comments, he is a true hero and role model to people everywhere, most especially our LGBTQ youth. But I am happier that the Human Rights Campaign did not find Tracy Morgan’s apology sufficient. Tina Fey and Bob Greenblatt’s responses are simply NOT GOOD ENOUGH. Can you imagine if Neil Patrick Harris made the same kind of “jokes” about people of color? CBS would fire him immediately from How I Met Your Mother. But not NBC, which has a history of keeping actors in the closet, specifically David Hyde Pierce and Sean Hayes whose contracts with NBC for Frasier and Will and Grace allegedly prevented them from openly discussing their sexual orientation. The virulent homophobia in the entertainment industry and the African American community needs to be addressed. Why not talk about it now, during LGBTQ Pride Month? Meanwhile, NBC and 30 Rock should fire Tracy Morgan.

4. Lee says:

Huge 30 Rock fan. Will not watch now!

5. Mark says:

We are not talking about a comedy act here. If someone white said this about an African American while doing a “comedy” act they would be hung out to dry. Oh, they were! Michael Richards!

Also, should be noted: The same week Tracy Morgan made these statements in Nashville, Tennessee passed a statute that prohibits localities from passing any anti-discrimination policies that would protect LGBT people and nullifying all Nashville gay rights ordinance. So ignorance breeds ignorance.

6. Brad says:

I am appalled by what Tracy Morgan said. Wanda Sykes said it perfectly: “Tracy has the right to say whatever he wants to say,” she tweeted, “just like we have the right to say, not acceptable… This isn’t about comedy. What Tracy said is dangerous.”

This is the same as yelling fire in a movie theater very dangerous.
    He needs to be fired immediately and sent to sensitivity training and he needs to learn what is appropriate to say and not say. He is not the first comedian to cross the line of decency, why hasn’t he learned for the other performers that have done the same thing.

• Ben says:

It isn’t the same as yelling fire in a movie theater. That creates an immediate threat and is therefore unconstitutional. Morgan’s words, while classless and embarrassing, do not create an immediate threat. He had a legal right to say what he did. There’s a difference.

7. Kevin says:

Chris Rock issued another comment after he saw all the quotes that Tracy made during his act and has rescinded parts of his statement. Even he was appalled so I haven’t seen any celebrity really come to Morgan’s defense on this.
    You know people shouldn’t be labeled by who they are and be forced to accept this conduct. And nobody has the right to say they are better than the other. We are all equal human beings. Being gay is okay -but it’s not okay to be an a**hole!!!

8. Jason says:

What Tracy Morgan said was awful. Didn’t he say he would stab his son if he didn’t come to him like a man and tell him he was gay? Not that he would stab him for being gay?
    I know that’s splitting hairs…but there is a pretty big difference.

9. Maxie Gordon says:

I’m disgusted by anyone defending this as “comedy.” I’d like to see what people would say if a white comedy said something like, “If my daughter marries a black guy, I’ll go get a rope and lynch him…” The problem is not freedom of speech, it’s the fact that we feel we can say things about certain people, and others not. Nobody would make that joke because of the violence behind it, but people still feel comfortable saying this kind of thing about gays.

• Jason says:

Yeah, that is getting pretty bad. On the Facebook post that exposed all of this a LOT of people are saying, “He’s a comedian. He tells jokes.” But that doesn’t matter. For one, a comedian’s job isn’t to merely tell jokes. If that were the case then anybody could do it. It diminishes the significance of the art form.
      Secondly, let’s say Morgan wasn’t being serious and was trying to make a joke out of controversial material the way many comics do. He still has the responsibility of crafting it well enough that everyone, including the gay community, laughed at it. He didn’t do that here. Therefore, he still did something offensive and should still apologize. So joke or not, this was wrong and he should apologize. A couple of comics don’t think he was joking, though, and that is very unfortunate. It’s crazy. I can’t believe he’d seriously say such things. I can’t believe anyone would. Sad, really.

10. CIndy says:

I have to agree with Wanda Sykes, he does have freedom of speach and we have the freedom to say it is not acceptable. I also do not think we as Gay Americans have the right to make judgement and refer to the “COLOR CARD”. We are ALL human, we are ALL Americans, and we should ALL have equal rights. We do not need anymore social bashing of any kind!!!! Lets ALL get along and live in peace!!!!!

11. abc123 says:

Yet another reason to love Cheyenne Jackson. You are a true role model, sir, at a time when our community desperately needs one. Thank you for that!
    I’m sure that Tracy will be fired before 30 Rock goes back into production in late September. Fey, Goldblatt, Baldwin, Krakowski and Jackson are just some of the more prominent pro-gay people on the show. Add to that a couple dozen behind-the-scenes GLBTQ-friendly people and you’ve got an environment that just won’t put up with this kind of behavior. I have faith in Fey and co. and firmly believe Morgan will be ousted from the show soon. Don’t disappoint me, Tina!

• abc123 says:

Come to think of it, when they fire Morgan they should just make Cheyenne a regular. He has been recurring on the show for two years and he has amazing chemistry with real-life pal Jane Krakowski.

12. Ruby says:

If Morgan is fired from 30 Rock that may prompt me to finally watch the show…I have always avoided it because I find him desperately unfunny and grating, ever since his stupid “Brian Fellows” godawful skit on SNL.

This rant was ugly and dangerous and in no way a joke. I can’t believe even one person would defend him.

13. Marc says:

It’s funny, I don’t remember Chris Rock defending Michael Richards’ rant against African-Americans when he did it during one of his stand-up performances. I guess it’s a different story when you’re a part of the minority being targeted.

• Bob says:

This was Chris Rock’s response in 2007 to the Michael Richards fiasco:

QUESTION: Seriously, would you offer a job to Michael Richards?

CHRIS ROCK: Would I offer a job to Michael Richards? Wow, I don’t know. Probably. I don’t know. I mean, I’d have to make sure all the other non-“n—-r”-screaming people didn’t need jobs first.

(Laughter.)

Once they were all working I guess I would have to give him a job.

14. juku says:

I mostly agree with Wanda Sykes on this one, although instead of “He has the right to say what he wants and we have the right to find it unacceptable,” I would go with, “He has the right to say what he wants and each of us has the right to judge him based on what he says.” As in, I now have the right to think Tracy Morgan is pathetically stupid, infantile, dangerous and has a level of insensitivity that is downright appalling. I think on some level, everybody has always known that Tracy Morgan was out of control and not very smart, and now we all know for sure. There has always been a question of how much cray cray the people at 30 Rock and NBC would put up with (it’s in half the plots they give him) so… Now we’ll have our answer. This is a line that someone on network TV should not cross, in my opinion. Deal-breaker, to me. But is it to NBC?

Or will they send him off to rehab and pretend that makes it all better. (Yawn.)

15. Geo says:

Suppose he had said, “If my teen daughter came home pregnant, I’d rip that fetus right out of her”? Would you imagine people saying he was just being funny, so relax?

16. PT Ryan says:

On a related note, you should see Bret Easton Ellis’ Twitter account. Regular, ongoing homophobia in 140 characters or less. Surprised he hasn’t been called out for it yet.

• Liz says:

Bret Easton Ellis hasn’t been called out for it because he’s gay, and has made a career out of wildly disgusting thoughts and concepts (and nobody is meant to laugh). context is all in comedy, and in this case irony beats asinine lunacy.

17. Belatedly Proud Dad says:

What Tracy Morgan said wasn’t funny, but it wasn’t heartfelt either. If and when Tracy Morgan’s son comes home and announces he’s gay, he’ll struggle with it awhile and then accept him, as we all did.

Way too much over-reaction here.

18. Diana says:

Okay, say this was a harmless joke..where’s the humor in it? What if I told you I was coming over to your house to murder you tonight? Does anyone find that funny? That was a cheap joke Tracy, you should just resign from 30 rock cause you weren’t even funny to begin with.

19. Darcy says:

I’m not sure what to think of this situation anymore. On one hand, comedians always go for shock value and this is just an example of that. On the other hand, and the hand that’s weighing down more, what he said was unacceptable, joke or not. There has to be a line somewhere, and I believe he crossed that line.

I am concerned on the future of the show, though. There are going to be swarms who want him to resign, but there are also those who don’t watch the show based on outside media, such as this incident, and I fear that either which way the show goes, with Morgan or without him, they are going to lose viewers.

Morgan has put his fans and his coworkers in a really tough spot with his selfish and idiotic actions.

20. SallyinChicago says:

Michael Richards had a meltdown — on camera.

21. Cory says:

Roseanne Barr now tweeting support for Tracy Morgan. She really is an idiot.

22. Red says:

Eagerly awaiting the outrage over comedian Christopher Titus’s rant last weekend about how, if Sarah Palin were elected president, he would “hang out on the grassy knoll all the time, just loaded and ready.”

• Jo says:

Exactly. Where is all the media and hollywood outrage when a liberal makes a joke about violence against a republican. Like someone said above, people find these jokes okay as long as it’s about a group or a person they hate. So much hypocrisy to go around.

• me says:

Not ‘exactly’ the same. In the context of Christopher Titus he was making a reference to historical events, current events and where the two meet. The idea of assassinating a political leader may not delight the American public, but those assassinations are motivated by disapproval with that person and what they choose to do with their power. POWER being the operative word. Picking off tall poppies with exaggerated language is a comedic tradition I wouldn’t let go of for anything.
        Tracey Morgan just said words to the effect of ‘I hate gays coz they’re gross’. You don’t kick someone when they’re down.
        Christopher Titus’s joke wasn’t terrifically funny because it was obvious, not because it was violent. He made a joke about Sarah Palin not because she’s republican, female, or any form of ‘minority’, He made a joke about Sarah Palin because Sarah Palin is incredibly stupid.
        Gays aren’t by definition stupid. Unlike the various Palins.

• Tony says:

You just prove the point that people will condone hate speech toward those they don’t like. You are trying to justify a joke about violence against someone you obviously dislike while condemning a joke about violence against others you want to defend. The FACT is that we all know Tracy Morgan is not going to kill his kid, while political leaders have often been the targets of violence which have resulted in injury and even death. Your stance is HYPOCRITICAL. Plain and simple! If you want to stand on a soapbox and rant about hate speech then no one should take you seriously if you can’t show objectivity and defend even those you don’t like over the same issue.

• Rebecca Parker says:

You know, I really dislike Sarah Palin. If she were to become President, I would be really unhappy. But that comment too is over the line. But this is the first I’m hearing of it – maybe mainstream media just hasn’t caught wind of it? Or maybe it’s just that he’s not big enough of a name for it to be as big news?

23. phil says:

Everyone knows the black community is essentially homophobic so why is anyone surprised by this. Know one wants to publicly admit it, but its true.

24. Echo says:

What Tracy said was horrible and cruel. We should be angry and maybe he should be fired…But, if we truly want to be better than him, educating him and perhaps finding forgiveness should be allowed. Many families have had parents who have struggled with their childrens sexuality, but time, education, understanding and familial love has eventually brought them together. This is a true opportunity to show that universal love can build a stronger foundation!

25. mdb says:

I accept that comedians push the boundaries but there is a huge difference between inappropriate & off color and hate speech. Tracy Morgan crossed that line in a big way. While I may have been put off by some of Chris Rock or Richard Pryor’s comedy they never crossed the line into hate.

26. Aeol says:

I DON’T think what Tracy said was funny. I am a huge supporter of LGBT rights, contribute financially against Prop 8, etc. BUT he did not say he would stab his son if he were gay. He said the (vile) act would occur if his son didn’t come home and tell him straight up. While Tracy is misguided and wrong, I think there is a valid point to make to parents that it is first and foremost their responsibility to foster an open and trusting relationship with their children. A child should be able to come home and talk openly with their parents and expect nothing but unconditional love in return. This world would suffer a lot less if the love starts at home and spreads outwards!

• Geo says:

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Morgan reportedly said that (according to the report that first exposed Morgan) his son better come home “and talk to him like a man and not [he mimicked a gay, high pitched voice] or he would pull out a knife and stab that little N (one word I refuse to use) to death.” In other words, don’t speak in any kind of femmy or “gay” voice or I’ll knife you. To try and slant it as though Morgan was just somehow encouraging courage in coming out with that comment is ridiculously twisted. Remember, Morgan had just gotten through saying lesbians are all just pretending to be gay because they all hate men, that being gay must be a choice “because God don’t make no mistakes,” and that “gay was something kids learn from the media and programming.” Tracy Morgan was channeling Fred Phelps, not Richard Pryor or Lenny Bruce. Jeez.

• Nathalie says:

Bravo! Well said. Even if these words were spoken in the context of a comedy club,they serve to perpetuate lies,those which,in your country,give the psychologically-imbalanced the justification to commit crimes against their fellow man. Science is on the precipice of proving that the hormones a fetus is exposed to at mid-gestation is key to how we end up straight,gay or the third sex. Or tomboys and metrosexuals and everything else in between on the spectrum. Saying one ‘choses to be gay’ is like saying you ‘chose’ to have your mom’s eyes, your dad’s nose and red hair. The true reason women may opt to choose a same sex partner is that unlike men, women’s sexuality is more fluid than men’s which is more set in stone. So if someone is a gay man, there is no way in hades they can be ‘deprogrammed’. The sooner the truth gets out there the better. What will the religious suggest next then? That women abort children who will be gay? Oh, now that would be a conundrum… How does Morgan KNOW what a fictional character does or doesn’t do?
        But I digress. Yes the man has every right to be donkey, but in this particular case, there a very real consequences to those words…

27. WB Norris says:

Whatever happened to free speech? Having our own opinions? I might not agree with what was said, but I don’t condemn someone for having an opinion.

• Brooke says:

I am so sick of people throwing around the “What about free speech?” question because it’s OBVIOUSLY that by asking this, you don’t know what “free speech” is. The government is not threatening to arrest Tracy Morgan. Other citizens are expressing their disapproval of his speech with their own speech – THE EXACT THING THAT IS SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN UNDER FREE SPEECH. His employers may fire him for his speech without infringing on “free speech” because his employers are not the government. Until the government starts interfering, there is no “free speech” issue to worry about here.

28. Nancy says:

People are overreacting. I took his remarks as flippant, not genuine. What a political correctness orgy!

• sadtroll says:

It has nothing to do with political correctness. It’s about kids struggling with being gay and feeling like they’re alone and it’s only going to get worse because there are millions of thugs and ignorant followers out there who make it worse.

How many of these kids have to kill themselves or get viciously attacked for “oh i hate all this pc stuff” people to freaking get it?

29. No Thanks says:

Cheyenne Jackson, a 30 Rock “co-star”? Really? He had, like, six minutes screen time all season! Why not get Grizz and DotCom’s reactions, while you’re at it?

30. Tarantella says:

Apology accepted. Let’s move on.

31. godzilla_foil says:

If he ever rewrites that rant in a funny way, one that at least makes me laugh (this one doesn’t), with more or less the same contents, then I’ll sign under it anytime, political correction be f*cked. Comedians tell jokes. They just have to be funny, NOT role models. The problem with this particular joke was one, and one only: it wasn’t funny at all.

32. JenD says:

the thing about chris rock’s tweet that he doesn’t want to live in a world where morgan can’t say that sort of thing is that morgan CAN say that sort of thing. the government isn’t censoring him and no one is talking about putting him in jail for what he said. THAT would be censorship. what is happening is dialog. and it’s part of why this country is awesome. sykes is right, morgan has the right to say it and other people have the right to say, that is effed up and we disagree with you. it’s the first amendment in action people.

33. Thom says:

Yes, it is horrid. Not funny. Not a look at his own homophobia in a funny way. Just wrong. … Well, the comedy gods will probably grant his wish…his gay son will stab him…oh wait…that is not funny either. It will be his daughter.

34. Shemp says:

I can see folks getting this upset if Tracy DID ACTUALLY stab someone, but, jeeez…I’ve heard anti-white “jokes” on all-African-American comedy TV shows & NO ONE seems to get bent-outta-shape about them…the worst thing about what TM said is that it WASN’T FUNNY. YES, it was in bad taste, but what got Lenny Bruce hounded by cops in the early 1960s seems “mild” today. You don’t like what Tracy M said, FINE — but let’s not draw-and-quarter him in public, not when other “celebs” commit read CRIMES (ie, La Lohan, R. Polanski, C. Sheen, etc.) and get off with a slap-on-the-wrist or get “petitions” circulated to “absolve” them of wrongdoing (ie, the H’woody petition in favor of “let’s stop harshing-on R. Polanski,” because according to Whoopi Goldberg, “It wasn’t ‘rape’ rape.” Why no one got ANGRY at Whoopi’s jerk-y comment is beyond me!)

35. Mrs. Westbrook says:

I don’t see what was so disturbing about what Tracey Morgan said….I mean lbvvs here…..people took what he said the wrong way as usual…..smh…..its people all over doing far more worst things than telling a joke…..but i guess by me just stating my opinion will make me hate gays too…..smh….

36. Bob says:

This is the essence of what he said on stage according to the blogger (Kevin Rogers) who first wrote about it:

“I figured at some point the gay jokes would fly and I’m well prepared for a good ribbing of straight gay humor. I have very thick skin when it comes to humor; I can dish and I can take. What I can’t take is when Mr. Morgan took it upon himself to mention about how he feels all this gay s*it was crazy and that women are a gift from God and that “Born this Way” is bulls*it, gay is a choice, and the reason he knows this is exactly because “God don’t make no mistakes” (referring to God not making someone gay cause that would be a mistake).”

“He said if his son was gay he better come home and talk to him like a man and not [he mimicked a gay, high pitched voice] or he would pull out a knife and stab that little N (one word I refuse to use) to death.”

“He took time to visit the bulls*it of this bullying stuff and informed us that the gays needed to quit being p***ies and not be whining about something as insignificant as bullying. He mentioned that gay was something kids learn from the media and programming, and that bullied kids should just bust some ass and beat those other little f***ers that bully them, not whine about it.”

“Tracy then said he didn’t f*cking care if he pissed off some gays, because if they can take a f*cking dick up their ass…they can take a f***ing joke.”

37. monday says:

Yay!! So happy for the Gays, they are so relevant now.

38. Laura says:

I watched a thing on the Uganda anti-gay bill the other day where some guy said he’d want his daughter hung if she was a lesbian. That made me cry. I’m not sure how this is any different, and it’s extremely disappointing, cause I always thought Tracy Morgan was funny.

39. Janie says:

I have to say I didnt see the jokes and have only read the aftermath,… and I love 30 rock but for the other actors and writers.. I have never found Tracy Morgan funny and i think that is the issue. Even when he was on SNL (which I am an avid fan of snl and try to support everyone who has been on there) I did not like him.. and i think that is the issue.. he has made an unfunny joke about the wrong thing.. i think a funnier comedian wouldve known better than to make a joke like that