TVLine Items: Eva La Rue's AMC Return, William Shatner Is One Psych'd Dad, and More TV News

Dr. Maria Santos Grey is hightailing it back to Pine Valley, people!

As the end of ABC’s All My Children draws near, former fan faves have been coming out of the woodwork for both quick cameos (Josh Duhamel as Leo du Pres) and big arcs (Cady McClain as Dixie Martin, Thorston Kaye as Zach Slater) — and now it’s Eva La Rue’s turn.

The CSI: Miami star, who last played Maria in January 2010 as part of her sister-in-law Hayley Santos’ (Kelly Ripa) documentary on Pine Valley, will appear in a handful of July episodes. TVGuide.com reported the news.

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

William Shatner has rebounded from the $#*! he was up to this past TV season with a guest spot on USA Network’s Psych, TVGuide.com reports. The Emmy winner will play the estranged, con artist father of Juliet (Maggie Lawson).

• NBC’s long-shelved sitcom — no, not Love Bites, the other one — Friends with Benefits has finally (sorta) landed a slot on the schedule. The ensemble comedy, starring Ryan Hansen (Party Down), Daneel Harris Ackles (One Tree Hill), and Jessica Lucas (Melrose Place), premieres with back-to-back episodes on Saturday, June 25 at 8/7c.

• As a lead-up to the Season 3 premiere of Drop Dead Diva (airing Sunday, June 19), Lifetime is mini-marathoning a half-dozen episodes from the series’ sophomore run on Saturday, June 18, starting at 11 am EST.

• The final numbers are in for The Oprah Winfrey Show‘s series finale, and an average of 16.4 million people tuned in for her big goodbye. Those numbers make it the most watched episode of the daytime talker in 18 years.

• NBC’s new Cedric the Entertainer-hosted game show It’s Worth What? premieres Tuesday, July 12 at 8 pm.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today? Hit the comments!

1. Captain says:

I’ll check out FWB for Danneel and Jessica but I dont have high hopes for it.

2. JGM says:

Okay, I actually do like William Shatner (yes, I admit it), and I love Psych, but I’ve got to say, he could be Juliet’s grandfather. Heck, great-grandfather. Now, John Schneider, who is not only more age-appropriate but looks more like her, would have been a great choice.

• DL says:

Here I was hoping Shatner would play Henry’s father/Shawn’s grandfather. Oh well.

• murley says:

i originally thought he would be shawn’s grandfather too. although doesn’t juliet have a whole bunch of brothers? if she was the youngest in a big family it wouldn’t be that weird.

3. raelee514 says:

It is about time that Friends With Benefits got some airtime. eesh. I’ve been wanting to see Danneel on my screen.

I am thrilled about Josh Duhamel and Thorsten Kaye — but really? Dixie and Marie are coming back. They were gone, it was lovely, sigh. But I am happy for the fans of Dixie and Maria, but really who does Maria even have ties too that is on the canvas now? Everyone she had ties too is gone, the whole Santos clan and Edmund. What’s the point? Dixie at least has some kind of point of showing up — I hope as a spirit/ghost guide sort for Tad of some sort.

I hope they use JD’s few days really well, because Leo to me is where Greenlee really and truly belongs.

• Jessica says:

Dixie is very much alive- she’s already been in two episodes. I think that since Maria is a brain surgeon she will probably return to help someone…maybe a not so dead Zach.

• raelee514 says:

How is Dixie alive? I thought she was dead? I just started watching after not watching and last I heard she died by peanut butter?

4. jrs says:

Enough William Shatner. Yea, we get it, he can poke fun at himself. Yuk. Yuk. I think he’s totally gross and really don’t like seeing him on my tv screen.

• Gavin says:

Shatner has no end to his workload. He is more busy now than he was in the 60s when he first started out as Kirk. The man is phenomenal. I’m afraid you are going to have to turn off your TV for many years to come. His resume is unstoppable!

5. bmo says:

Shatner on Psych is nice…Can Psych can’t get any Emmy/SAG/Golden Globe Love? Shawn and Gus have me rolling every episode. I kinda wish more networks would air their non used midseason replacement shows in the summer or have them on On Demand. NBC seems to be doing this. Fox did it with that Mental show w/ Chris Vance a few years ago.

6. Amber says:

I was a BIG fan of Maria and Edmund in the day, along with their real-life romance…until it all went away, both on-screen and off-screen. I was so disappointed with how they ended things between Edmund and Maria that I was pretty pleased when they both left the show. It was too heartbreaking to see such an awesome couple go the way they did. I don’t really see any point to bringing Maria back if everyone she was close to is now gone from the show. I am happy to see Cady McClain back though. I was pretty angry that they killed her off. She better be resurrected. If they can do it with Jesse, they can do it with her.

• Amber says:

As a side note, I’m a little behind on my DVR tapings of AMC, so I currently have no idea what they are doing to bring Dixie back.

7. Lambsilencer says:

Well, according to The Futon Critic, NBC has shifted the date for “Friends With Benefits” once more.

The show will now premiere on August 5, at 8/7c PM, and air each week through September 9.

8. JillianLuvsFood says:

I agree I love Psych but Shatner as Juliet’s dad I think might hurt the show terribly. This seems to be “guest-star season” but I hope they can keep Psych the way it is and not get too carried away. I don’t wanna hear Jules dad is a con artist either!

9. Jen says:

So excited for Drop Dead Diva! Not a good name for a great show.

10. stephanie grant says:

you really need to stop playing you can bot get rid of all my children i grow up with this show. i know i am not the only one saying this, but hear this i will stop watching (ABC)…