Mad Men, Fringe, Good Wife, Modern Family, Community, Justified Lead Critics Choice Kudos

In what hopefully will turn out to be a harbinger of the 2011 Emmys, the nominations for the inaugural Critics’ Choice Television Awards were announced this morning, and a handful of acclaimed yet heretofore kudos-deprived series were at last singled out. ABC’s red-hot Modern Family received the most nods of any program (six), followed by fellow awards magnet Mad Men. But about those breakthrough shows…

FX’s Justified scored an impressive four noms, including best drama, best actor for Timothy Olyphant, best supporting actress for Margo Martindale and best supporting actor for Walton Goggins. CBS’ The Good Wife and HBO’s Boardwalk Empire also snagged four nods apiece. AMC rookie The Killing fared well with three nominations, tying with Fox’s Fringe, which saw leading lady Anna Torv and the long-overlooked John Noble make the list of contenders.

Two NBC comedy upstarts, Community and Parks and Recreation, walked off with three nods apiece, including best comedy series and plaudits for their respective leads, Joel McHale and Amy Poehler. They’ll compete with fellow Thursday-night companions 30 Rock and The Office.

ABC’s Wednesday comedy block also got a nice boost with The Middle and Cougar Town nabbing a combined five nods, including lead actress for Patricia Heaton and Courteney Cox and supporting actress for Eden Shur and Busy Philipps.

The complete list of nominations are below. The first CCT Awards (selected by the Broadcast Television Journalists Association, of which yours truly is a member), are scheduled to be handed out on June 20 in Los Angeles and will air two days later on ReelzChannel at 8/7c. Additionally, the ceremony will be live streamed on VH1.com.

BEST DRAMA SERIES
Boardwalk Empire
Dexter
Friday Night Lights
Fringe
Game of Thrones
The Good Wife
Justified
The Killing
Mad Men
The Walking Dead

BEST ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES
Steve Buscemi (Boardwalk Empire)
Kyle Chandler (Friday Night Lights)
Michael C. Hall (Dexter)
Jon Hamm (Mad Men)
William H. Macy (Shameless)
Timothy Olyphant (Justified)

BEST ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES
Connie Britton (Friday Night Lights)
Mireille Enos (The Killing)
Julianna Margulies (The Good Wife)
Elisabeth Moss (Mad Men)
Katey Sagal (Sons of Anarchy)
Anna Torv (Fringe)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES
Alan Cumming (The Good Wife)
Walton Goggins (Justified)
Shawn Hatosy (Southland)
John Noble (Fringe)
Michael Pitt (Boardwalk Empire)
John Slattery (Mad Men)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES
Michelle Forbes (The Killing)
Christina Hendricks (Mad Men)
Margo Martindale (Justified)
Kelly Macdonald (Boardwalk Empire)
Archie Panjabi (The Good Wife)
Chloë Sevigny (Big Love)

BEST COMEDY SERIES
Archer
The Big Bang Theory
Community
Glee
Louie
The Middle
Modern Family
The Office
Parks and Recreation
30 Rock

BEST ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES
Alec Baldwin (30 Rock)
Steve Carell (The Office)
Louis C.K. (Louie)
Charlie Day (It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia)
Joel McHale (Community)
Jim Parsons (The Big Bang Theory)

Best Actress in a Comedy Series
Courteney Cox (Cougar Town)
Edie Falco (Nurse Jackie)
Tina Fey (30 Rock)
Patricia Heaton (The Middle)
Martha Plimpton (Raising Hope)
Amy Poehler (Parks and Recreation)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES
Ty Burrell (Modern Family)
Neil Patrick Harris (How I Met Your Mother)
Nick Offerman (Parks and Recreation)
Ed O’Neill (Modern Family)
Danny Pudi (Community)
Eric Stonestreet (Modern Family)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES
Julie Bowen (Modern Family)
Jane Krakowski (30 Rock)
Jane Lynch (Glee)
Busy Philipps (Cougar Town)
Eden Sher (The Middle)
Sofía Vergara (Modern Family)

Best Reality Series
Extreme Makeover: Home Edition
Hoarders
The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills
Sister Wives
Undercover Boss

BEST REALITY SERIES — COMPETITION
The Amazing Race
American Idol
Dancing with the Stars
Project Runway
RuPaul’s Drag Race
Top Chef

BEST REALITY SHOW HOST
Tom Bergeron (Dancing with the Stars)
Cat Deeley (So You Think You Can Dance)
Ty Pennington (Extreme Makeover: Home Edition)
Mike Rowe (Dirty Jobs)
Ryan Seacrest (American Idol)

BEST TALK SHOW
Chelsea Lately
The Daily Show
The Ellen DeGeneres Show
Jimmy Kimmel Live!
The Oprah Winfrey Show

1. N says:

Hugh Laurie/House are out? oh. I’m kinda glad for this, because it was House’s worst season and maybe now they’ll try harder. Hugh Laurie is still a great actor, but they gotta give him better scripts to work with.

• Anonymous says:

I feel like that should make it all the more reason for him to be nominated though. If you read reviews of the House episodes throughout this season, they all tended along the lines of “the episode was meh, but Hugh Laurie once again shows he is one of the best actors out there”. If an actor can take poor scripts and still make the episodes decent, that should be worthy of an award nom.

• Sally says:

My thoughts exactly! The show doesn’t deserve any award anymore (for the last two or three seasons already), but Hugh Laurie is still the most outstanding actor out there. He can turn complete crap into something worth watching. That should be worth an award.

• mans says:

Bryan Cranston from Breaking Bad is a million times better which is why he takes the Emmys and not Hugh…..

• Aurore says:

I feel the same way.
        Part of me is glad because the show don’t deserve any award or nomination after last season. But on the other hand Hugh deserve it. He is awesome when scripts are so disappointing. If it wasn’t for him I would have stop watching already.

• HL says:

When Hugh Laurie didn’t win the Emmy for the season that started with the episode in rehab it became fairly clear that he was never going to win the big one, which is unfortunate, since Gregory House is a character for the ages.

2. nerds says:

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy for Fringe and Anna Torv, she’s amazing! :D

• Mick says:

I’ll second that and a HUGE woo hoo for the master’s in acting class that is John Noble!!!!!

• sashay says:

Yes! This is the kind of list that the Emmys should put out. So nice to see recognition for Anna and John.

• John says:

WOW. All in all im so happy with all of the nominations. No Jane Lynch, Chris Colfer. Very pleased with Fringe noms and Shawn Hawtosy :)

• achay says:

Jane Lynch actually did get a nom in “BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES.” She has no right beating Busy Phillips this season though.

• Cari says:

I am sooooooooooooo happy too! Those two may be the greatest actors on televsion right now! They deserve to win the Emmys too!! They better win!

• SandyA says:

Our whole family anxiously WAITS for Frings each week. We
      love it, and sometimes watch the episode/s more than once
      so as not to miss the symbolism in the plot. The actors are
      all just right! It is my favorite TV show!

3. Jem says:

I’m glad to see some love for Parks and Recreation. The critics choice awards are the only ones I can count on for some solid judging/selection and… critiquing. Duh.

• HL says:

If the P&R writers don’t win an award for the episode with the Ron Swanson Pyramid of Greatness, there is no justice! Congrats to the deserving Nick Offerman and Amy Poehler, and I’m guessing Aziz Ansari was a close runner up in the SA race. P&R is a perfect example of why shows should be given some time to gel-first season was horribly uneven and looked like a rip off of “The Office”, but it has grown into one of the best sitcoms out there.

4. sarah says:

Look at the Good Wife go, being all awesome.

5. Donna says:

Can someone PLEASE explain to me why John Noble is always called a “supporting actor”? He’s rarely off screen!

• Shazza says:

I’m really hoping John Noble finally gets some recognition for his role as Walter Bishop. He regularly reduces me to either tears or fits of laughter, and Walternate just sort of gives me the heebie-jeebies! I also love Walton Goggins in Justified, so it’d be tough to call, but my heart would go with John Noble every time!

• bobbi says:

I totally agree. John Noble is always on screen. But I am glad he is nominated. Now for the Emmys.

6. Junior G. says:

Wow, definitely a surprise that Chelsea Lately got a nomination, but I’m very happy: I’m a huge fan! This must be the best list of nominations yet! I also love that Patricia Heaton, Nick Offerman, and Timothy Olyphant got nominations! All were well deserved.

7. Sasha says:

I Adore Glee…but why was Jane Lynch Nominated?

She is an awesome actor but I dont think she was funny at all this season.

• harmograz says:

I agree. If someone on Glee was to be nominated, it should have been Heather Morris or Naya Rivera…they were the funniest this season.

8. Sam says:

did they not watch Breaking Bad? or is it not eligible for some weird reason?

9. Lyleus says:

It’s a shame that Breaking Bad had to air so late in the year because Bryan Cranston would have easily won his 4th best leading actor emmy in a row. I guess it’s nice to give others a shot, though.

10. Joseph says:

This is amazing. Nods for Parks and Rec and Community as Best Comedy. The Middle, Heaton and Eden Sher – Well deserved. Martha Plimpton! So good. Cat Deeley – finally someone recognizes her! Just sad to see Jesse Tyler Ferguson missing. I thought he had the best material this season of the supporting men on Modern Family.

11. S says:

There isn’t a single person that I feel was left out. Good job, Critics.

Now, if Parks and Recreation and The Good Wife were to score a bunch of CCAs, that would be lovely.

12. Damon says:

I’m sincerely hoping that Mireille Enos receives the best award for female actress in a drama series.. Here’s hoping :-)

13. Lena says:

And where is Parenthood?:((

14. noa says:

this list is very pleasing. and if you’re following the sad sad conversation on youtube, you’re probably as happy as i am for the wonderful Martha Plimpton. i’m still hoping she gets an guest star Emmy nod for the good wife. and if you’re not watching the sad sad conversation (and you like talented people like Martha talking about themselves): http://www.youtube.com/user/sadsadconversation

15. Kaitlin says:

I am LOVING the nods for FNL and Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton. And Katey Sagal! But I think the most surprising name on this list is Charlie Day. I am ECSTATIC that someone is recognizing his comedic brilliance.

16. Sheikia says:

YES!!! FINALLY ALL IS RIGHT WITH THE WORLD!!! EVERY NOMINATION IS PERFECT!!!

17. Caroline says:

SO happy for the Friday Night Lights love!! Kyle & Connie, in particular, deserve it! Really happy for the Modern Fam, 30 Rock, Cougar Town, and Community recognition, too! I felt this was a fair list. Even though I love House, this season has been disappointing, and I am glad they were not nominated just because they have always been. Also really glad Glee’s nominations were limited- the show has good songs, but it is HORRIBLE show-wise.

18. jay says:

I’m happy for the Cougar town girls and Cat Deeley but many of the nominees are just too tired and comfortable.

19. Kristina says:

Both Shawn Hatosy and John Noble have nominations? That is fantastic. I wish both could win. It would be nice if both Southland and Fringe got some award show love.

20. Vivi says:

Finally…FINALLY!!!…Cat Deely gets nominated for her work on SYTYCD. Now, if only the show can get nominated.

• Vivi says:

I was so happy for Cat that I completely overlooked some great selections. Shawn Hatosy for “SouthLAnd” (the show should be nominated, too.) “Real Housewives of Beverly Hills” for Reality Show. “The Middle” getting some love. You know what would have been PERFECT, though? Some nominations for “Parenthood” and “Raising Hope”.

21. iluilu says:

YES! Game of Thrones, Fringe, Anna Torv and John Noble(about time)!

22. MGL says:

Go the Good Wife and Justified! They are 2 of the best shows on tv.

23. MACK says:

Anna Torv for the win!

Thanks to the intelligent and clued in people that nominated. This sounds like an awards show that is actually moving with the times and recognizing brilliant performances over ratings and cash in take.

• Kate says:

Thats exactly what I was thinking. So great to see Fringe nominated!

• Ruby says:

Agreed! Torv was amazing this season, as was Noble. Does anyone know if they submit individual episodes to be considered, or is their work for the whole season looked at?

24. Jake says:

My only complaints are the absence of Cougar Town in Comedy Series, Toni Collette in Best Actress and the fact that Parenthood did not get a single nomination. And of course the fact that Glee was nominated for Best Comedy and Lynch, neither of which deserved it for the crappy second season. Other than that, love the nominations for Louie, Fringe, The Good Wife, Game of Thrones, Courteney Cox, Louis C.K., Busy Phillips, Danny Pudi and Anna Torv!

25. Pamela says:

Yay! Go Fringe, Anna & John!

26. Cindy says:

Yvonne Strahovski should of been nominated for Chuck vs Phase Three
    But why do they have to snub Chuck it’s a great show? I think Zachary Levi should of been nominated also.

27. Eryn says:

How can Bones be overlooked again?

28. Woot says:

So happy about these! Especially: Nick Offerman, Dani Pudi, Charlie Day, Louis CK, Anna Torv.

Also love that shows: Community, Parks and Rec, Archer, The Killing, Game of Thrones and especially The Walking Dead are getting recognized!!

29. Sarah P. says:

It’s good to see Fringe getting some nods. :) I especially agree with John Noble as Best Actor.

30. shelly says:

Michael Ausiello please vote for ANNA TORV.

31. Linda says:

PARKS & RECREATION ALL THE WAY! AMY POEHLER ALL THE WAY! NICK OFFERMAN ALL THE WAY! I hope you can tell by now that I’m a Parks & Rec whore..

32. Nev827 says:

Of course Castle gets bupkis. When are the critics going to wake up and give this amazing show some well-deserved love?!

• Jamie says:

Don’t get me wrong, I love Castle. Its one of the few shows I won’t miss no matter what. However, it’s not better than what was nominated. Castle is more fun than these shows, but it isn’t better. If the entire series were like its season finale, it would be a different story, but since we only get an episode like that twice a season, it doesn’t deserve to be nominated.

33. G in DC says:

YAY for Fringe love. Are you seeing this Emmy voters? Anna, John and the show deserve it. You should do the same.

34. irene says:

FINALLY Courteney Cox got the recognition she deserves! Now I keep my fingers crossed for the Emmys.
    So glad that Busy is nominated too, she’s very talented. Too bad that Cougar Town didn’t make it to Best Comedy.

• shay says:

I’m soooooooooooooooo happy for Courteney !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOURRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

She deserves it so much!!!!!!!!!

ITA with you Irene

• Aiden says:

I was thinking the exact same thing! So great for Courteney Cox and Busy Phillips. I’m so glad for the other nominees too such as Community, Fringe, Parks and Rec, and Justified.
      So happy to see one awards show is getting it right.

35. Moyra says:

no Hugh Laurie nor Chris Colfer?
    shame.

• Paige says:

Chris Colfer? *bursts out laughing*

• Vixela says:

*starts laughing with Paige*

• Bec says:

Wow you are both so clever! Great acting ranging from drama to comedy along with all long hours involved in making GLee that other actors don’t have to go through. It is laughable that Chris Colfer didn’t get nominated. So glad you agree.

• Ruby says:

Sorry, what was that? I’m also still laughing with Vixela and Paige and didn’t read your comment.

36. maureen says:

Great list!!! Love all the Justified noms. My only issue is no nom for Peter Dinklage in Game of Thrones.

• KatherineM says:

I loved Justified, and every nomination for them is ‘justified.’

I’m not a Boardwalk Empire fan. I always felt like I was having to sit in a perfectly decorated very expensive room that I neither liked nor found original. None of the characters connected with me, for good or bad. I’d have easily substituted Drinkage (especially), Skarsgard (TB) or Kinnaman (The Killing), among many others I can think of, who have created far more vivid and memorable TV characters than Michael Pitt of Boardwalk.

But in any event, I’d still want Walton Goggins to win. He’s awesome.

37. Monie says:

What? No Peter Dinklage for GAME OF THRONES? For shame!

That said, yay John Noble and Anna Torv!

38. Geordiegirl1967 says:

Not a single CW show. I know a lot of its shows (90210, Gossip Girl etc) are hardly awards fodder, and the CW never seems to be on the radar of those who decide these things, but if Fringe can get a nod then it is a travesty that Supernatural can’t.

• Paige says:

I do love SPN, but I’ve accepted a long time ago that the show will never be nommed for any of the big award shows.

• MJ says:

I never hold any hope for Supernatural either, but I thought Fringe was in the same boat and it got nominated. It seems that these awards have a much more open mind towards genre shows.
        As for spn this wasn’t their strongest season (although it got pretty good by the end), maybe if this awards had existed when we were on season 4 they might have gotten some noms. (I might be completely wrong here but I think most critics thoguht s4 was pretty good).

• Catherine says:

Fringe had its best Season ever and deserves the nomination. Anna Torv, John Noble and the criminally under-used Joshua Jackson all were amazing. Supernatural was weak this season and didn’t deserve to be placed in the same class. Maybe earlier seasons…

39. Erin says:

All things Justified for the win. Timothy Olyphant, Walton Goggins and Margo Martindale deserve every bit of every award they are nominated for. :)

• Chelebr says:

Yes! Emmy voters…take notice. These same folks should be nominated instead of the same old same old crew. Justified is the best show on TV.

40. rac76 says:

Happy to see the Community nods, but where is “The Big C” or “Shameless” at?? Both are very good shows. Hopefully, they will be nominated for Emmys.

41. bhm1304 says:

Wow, somebody finally noticed the brilliance that is Charlie Day and “Archer”. Only mistakes, I would have replaced Steve Buscemi on “Boardwalk Empire” with Sean Bean for “Game of Thrones” and John Slattery’s “MM” with Peter Dinklage “Game of Thrones”.

42. Kim says:

Kyle Chandler deserves an award for FNL. So sad that he has never won for that show.

43. cl says:

Community, Parks and Rec and Fringe, finally!

• Russ says:

Glad my favorite low rated shows got noms: Community, Parks & Rec, & Fringe! I doubt they will win but here’s hoping this does something for their ratings! I’m also a big Chuck fan but this was the weakest season by far so it got what it deserved. It’s a bubble gum show anyway.

44. John says:

There’s a lot about this list that makes me happy (Busy Phillips, Nick Offermann, Danny Pudi, FNL, Fringe, etc), but I may have beamed brightest at seeing Archer sneak into the Best Comedy category! Holy s**tballs!

• Karen says:

It’s in the “danger zone”! Awesome that it got a nod!

• BHM304 says:

So happy that “Archer” got a nomination but “Chuck” is left in the dust. What is the best spy-comedy on television? That’s right …. its Sterling and Mallory Archer and crew. That sound you hear is big Johnny Bench hands clapping….

• Barbara says:

I love the Emmy Awards, but I’ve gotten sooooo bored with the same winners almost every year and the same nominees almost as much. This list is a dream come true, though, like any dream, it is too uch of a good thing because there are multiple people and shows in the same category that I would like to see win (Fringe/Justified, John Noble, who should be nominated as lead actor/Walton Coggins, Archer{that’s what I’m talkin bout}/Community). This is going to be a great event.

45. Dana says:

So great that Danny Pudi, Nick Offerman, Timothy Olyphant, Anna Tov & the incredible John Noble are getting much deserved recognition. But I am disappointed to not see Alison Brie, Aziz Ansari or Heather Morris. Even more, where is the love for Parenthood? Such a strong cast & not a single nom. And how is Late Night with Jimmy Fallon not up for best talk show?

46. Katie says:

Just wish I saw Yvonne Strahovski’s name there. This is a great list of nominees, though. Glad “Shameless” got a nomination, I love that show.

47. Rachel says:

Really glad Anna Torv is getting some awardslove – her impersonation of Leonard Nimoy is just…creepy good. And I know he won’t win, but I have to root for dark horse Mike Rowe in the hosting category, talk about unexpected!!

48. Sheikia says:

I agree though that no Sean Bean or Peter Dinklage is an oversight.

49. Amy says:

I love this lis of nominees! Most excited about:
    FNL (it deserves the recognition and a WIN)
    Nick Offerman (Ron Swanson is the man)
    Parks and Recreation and Amy Poehler (best comedy out there)
    Danny Puni, Joel McHale and Community (finally this show is getting some love)
    The Middle (most underrated sitcom out there)
    Eden Sher (oh, Sue Heck, I love you)
    Ed O’Neill (he is the anchor of that show and amazing)
    Alan Cumming (my favorite part of The Good Wife.

50. DL says:

Too bad Parenthood didn’t get any love, but I am extremely excited about the Fringe love going around here, and especially happy for John Noble!
    I’m also stoked to see some Southland appreciation, although with Shawn Hatosy nominated (deservedly so!), I was also really hoping to see a nomination for Michael Cudlitz’s outstanding work as well.