Scoop: Walking Dead's Fresh Meat Revealed!

Remember how Walking Dead exec producer Robert Kirkman previously told TVLine  that the show’s survivors would meet a bunch of new characters when they stumble upon Hershel’s Farm in season 2? Well, now we’ve found out who at least a few of them will be!

According to some just-released casting intel, Hershel himself is a vet — as in a veterinarian, not a veteran (that I know of!) — a Wilford Brimley type, though I don’t think a mustache of legendary proportions is mandatory for auditioning actors. His daughter, Maggie, sounds like a younger version of Andrea with better horseback-riding skills. (Ginger Snaps’ Katharine Isabelle, call your agent!) Finally, there’s Otis, the middle-aged ranch foreman who’s such a sweetheart that he all but loses it when he accidentally shoots a fellow survivor.

So what do you think? Is Zombieland ready for some fresh blood?

Comments (29)

• What the show really needs is Tyrese!

Comment by Tyler – May 31, 2011 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yeah Tyrese would be sick! Bring on the prison! How can they not bring in Michonne?

Comment by Mark – May 31, 2011 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That is my question too! We need Tyrese. He is such an important character.

Comment by Andrea – May 31, 2011 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • more to the point will they run with the govenor story line,that was a great storyline

Comment by pascal – June 13, 2011 02:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I need Kathrine Isabelle on this show it would be amazing.

Comment by Anthony Newhall – May 31, 2011 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A bunch of new survivors… One of them shoots a fellow survivor… Lost season 2 flashbacks anyone?

Comment by Matt – May 31, 2011 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Or…a lot of television shows that predated Lost.

Comment by sarah – May 31, 2011 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Or…. a headline stripped straight from the comic book anyone?

Comment by Josh – May 31, 2011 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Hmm, they did that on Gilligan’s Island too?

Comment by Mike – May 31, 2011 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 1) The comic issue in which this happens in the comic predates LOST as a series by several months (June 2004)…so season 2 of LOST aired in 05-06
      2) Season 2, Shannon was shot and killed. This has no mention of a character dying.

I’m not an asshole, just picky :-p.

Comment by Shawn – May 31, 2011 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would LOVE if Katharine Isabelle was on this show. I love her and she deserves something good.

Comment by sarah – May 31, 2011 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I dont know about the skills of the actress, but she looks nothing like Maggie. As a fan of the comic-book, i would not like her casted for that role.

Comment by Stehpo – May 31, 2011 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Season 2 can’t come soon enough!!!! Cannot wait to see where this show goes next.

Comment by jrs – May 31, 2011 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m happy with any characters they throw at as so long as they sustain the quality from season 1.

Comment by John Berggren – May 31, 2011 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They were talking about getting Stephen King to write an episode.
    I hope they can make it happen.
    I can’t wait for Season 2 to begin.
    True Blood will be keeping me busy while I wait …

I do feel sorry for the cast & crew having to film in this freakin HEAT and humidity though !
    It must be brutal.

Comment by Laurel – May 31, 2011 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know they are aiming to premiere Season 2 on Halloween like last season, but I am wondering with Mad Men being pushed back because Matthew Weiner was being greedy, will that push The Walking Dead premiere date back too?

Comment by bethany0403 – May 31, 2011 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • AMC was adamant that the Walking Dead would start directly after the 2 week Halloween Movie Fearfest.
      They also announced that they would NOT be starting Mad Men until January 2012 .

I really don’t think the schedule will change…

Comment by Laurel – May 31, 2011 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • One man’s greed is another man’s just compensation for creating a company’s flagship, attention-gaining product. I’m not an agent or an entertainment business guy, so I won’t even begin to guess where the labels go in that negotiation.

Comment by John – May 31, 2011 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What everybody’s waiting for is news on who’s going to play Michonne, IMO

Comment by Rob J. – May 31, 2011 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Gina Torres or nobody!

Comment by Sara – May 31, 2011 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That would totally be perfect! She’s my fave character in the comic and to have my fave actress on Firefly would be heaven!

Comment by Shawn – June 2, 2011 12:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Any word on when Season 2 is airing? Or was it announced and I just missed it?

Comment by Dr. Matt – May 31, 2011 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought they said it’ll be another Halloween premiere, but it’s been a while since I heard that, so it could’ve changed.

Comment by Sara – May 31, 2011 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t know for sure but if we count the weeks out from Breaking Bad’s 7/17 premiere, Walking Dead could be ready to go on 10/16 or 10/23 (would depend on if BB takes a week off for Labor Day) I just can’t imagine TWD airing episodes on Christmas and New Year’s Day (both Sundays) and Mad Men starts in January. So, I have no idea how they’re going to fit these 13 eps in. Maybe a couple 2 hour (back to back) eps!?

Comment by Mike – May 31, 2011 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They are not even shooting yet? WTF?

Comment by NickC – May 31, 2011 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • don’t want them to screw with the timeline, but i really can’t wait for Tyrese and Michonne to be cast. Herschel’s farm is not really important to me except for Maggie

Comment by Jen – May 31, 2011 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it would be great of katharine isabelle was in the show, but it is unlikely since she is starring in a canadian series, a showcase original called endgame. about a chess genius who uses strategy to solve crimes, with shawn doyle and the original gym teacher from glee, the one who almost married emma.

Comment by a. burch – May 31, 2011 11:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Katharine Isabelle needs another “Falling Angels”-type project (albeit with an actual release) more than to be saddled with more ‘genre’ roles. But she certainly can ride a horse. And if the producers really wanted her, all they would have to do is also cast Brendan Fletcher (since that was enough to get her to do “Ogre” and Uwe Boll’s “Rampage”). Kind of hoping to see KI not be given more reasons to be on the horror convention circuit.

Comment by T McNeil – June 1, 2011 06:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m pretty sure that Katherine Isabelle’s schedule is open for The Walking Dead. The first season of Endgame, a stirling Canadian mystery series, should be just about done.

If she got on with TWD, that would give her two gigs on high quality shows that would still give her time to do the odd movies on her hiatus. That would be pretty cool.

Comment by Sheldon W. – June 1, 2011 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post