Exclusive

Patrick Dempsey On Grey's Anatomy Future: Season 8 Will Be 'My Last'

Ellen Pompeo may be unsure about whether she’ll stick with Grey’s Anatomy after her contract expires next season, but it sounds like her onscreen hubby has made up his mind.

In the new issue of the Italian Vanity Fair, Patrick Dempsey confirms that the show’s upcoming eighth season will be his swan song. “It’s gonna be my last,” he told the mag. “I do not know what’s going to happen to the other characters, but for me it’s done.”

Dempsey added that the idea of checking out of Seattle Grace after seven years is “bittersweet because it’s been great and a great part of my life. But I can’t see me doing it anymore.”

One person who we’re pretty sure won’t be caught off guard by this news: Shonda Rhimes. The Grey’s creator told TVLine earlier this month that she was approaching next season as if it was the last — not just for Dempsey but his fellow original cast members Pompeo, Chandra Wilson, Sandra Oh and Justin Chambers. “It might be the last hurrah for a lot of them; you never know,” she said. “I really don’t know and I don’t presume to know. Everybody has an individual choice to make and I get that…. All the originals are in play.”

Of course, this begs the provocative question: What happens if Dempsey leaves but Pompeo stays? Perhaps a clue can be found in this next quote from Rhimes. “I feel like Meredith and Derek are meant to be together forever, and we’re going to make sure that in the end they end up together, one would hope — unless one of them dies or something.”

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Contract Talks, Controversy, Exclusive, News, Scoop, Spoilers

1. MD says:

I hope Ellen will leave with him! We all need a MerDer happy ending, and really there’s not much stories to tell, 8 seasons is a long time.

• Rachel says:

He could just change jobs and gets mentioned frequently on the show. If Shonda likes us…

• Annie says:

As long as they don’t break up! Could be something in him moving out for a new job and Meredith staying for a while

• daddspank says:

didn’t derek leave her again on the finale? i hope shonda kills off derek, i don’t believe meredith will ever be happy, but at least her character wont have to wait for him to leave her over and over for the rest of their lives.

• lennea says:

She has given derrick plenty of reasons to leave! He’s a saint! Whats he suppose to do when she doesnt include him!

• Addison says:

Honestly, I might be one of the few people that would be glad to see Derek and Meredith split up. There’s always been something about their relationship that has bothered me and at times, Derek’s whining is just too much for me to want to see on screen.

If Pompeo goes I probably won’t stick around for Grey’s. I started watching the show because I was truly intrigued at her dark and twisty complicated life and she pulled off the character well. With how the ratings have been for the show the past season or two, if Pompeo goes and a lot of the regulars also leave, I don’t see the show lasting long before it’s canceled.

Hell, I liked the woman I shared my name with more than some of the other characters. I loved it when she was introduced into the show and was sad to see Kate Walsh leave to work on PP. But alas, all good things come to an end sooner or later.

• Abigail says:

because derek is being a real jerk right now it would kinda be cool to see mer with alex.

• gracie says:

i think they have to kill him off beause ity would be so bad if they broke up cos they are meant to be together

• sim sim says:

please don’t kill any body!!I think der &mer shoud end togheder!more than8 season will be boring!I my self never watch any season with out der and mer.they must be together for ever.

• Samira says:

Hi guys really really can’t wait for the next season of Grey’s i have been missing uuuuuuuuuuuuuu. Derek please don’t ever leave u r 2 cute for anything else. Meredith love Derek and he’ll love u back. when will u be in Cape Town , South Africa. Christina , Nutsy to all not mentioned I really miss uuuuuuuu and really cant wait.

• shanna says:

i think once all the orignal cast members justin katherine sandra ellen derek t.r. and the guy that played preston leave in my opinion the show will not last very long they were the start of it and they should be the end of it greys anatomy is nothing like it was i have lost interest in it. And yes i kno a few of the orignals have left but if the main character leaves whats the point of the show i mean it revolved around ellen and patrick it should end that way.

• randa says:

but are they gonna make another seson of seson 8

• greysfan says:

Dempsey and Oh leaving is going to really make it hard for Ellen’s character Meredith if she decides she wants to stay. Now that i know this i really hope they all leave together because Derek without Meredith just doesn’t happen. Death is the only way unfortunately. Either that or end it after season 8. I’m in two minds about this. One wants the show to go on but the other wants the show to end and we all know that ABC and Shonda have been both quoted they want it to go on with or without the originals. Going to be an interesting few weeks to see if Ellen stays or goes. I’d still watch the show because of the rest of the great ensemble but it won’t be the same i’m afraid.

2. Entertainment2u-Twitter says:

Good time to end the series — and not follow suit like TWO AND A HALF MEN and THE OFFICE — shows that don’t know when to quit — even after their stars leave.

• Mads says:

I agree. Just end while it’s still good. I honestly can’t see Lexie being the main Grey; love her (and Chyler), I just don’t think she could do it without the show imploding.

• Ro says:

I agree, I don’t think Lexie can carry the show, but I do think they could do something, like introduce another Grey, maybe a cousin in Med School who winds up being a patient for a handful of episodes. Then Grey’s could do a time jump at the end of Season 8 where those who are staying can stay and become Attendings (if they are currently residents) and a new crop of interns (including cousin Oliver) can help sort of reboot the series, because lets face it: As long as Grey’s pulls in about 9mil viewers a week, it will be kept around for another season or two.

• Mateo says:

Actually that’s a pretty good idea, and it would give a “fresh stars” to the show.

• CS says:

I don’t know… that concept was not well received on Scrubs at all…

• Anna says:

The first problem with Scrubs was that they lost all the main cast except Dr. Cox and Turk. Both of those Characters depended on JD and the rest of the cast to make the show. The only person who relies on Derrick is Meredith and the only people who rely on Meredith are Derrick and Christina. If they got rid of Mer/Der and a few other characters who dreadfully need to go (I am looking at you Teddy and Owen) but kept Alex, Baily, and Christina from the original cast – and give Christina a plot line that does not involve her having shoddy luck in teachers and men, then I could see it working.
            The other problem with the Scrubs reboot was that it completely changed the show from new doctors to new med students who rarely interacted with patients.
            But if Shonda made it similar to how ER had a new influx of characters (and hired a few comedy writers because the Show has lost almost all of its comedic aspects since Season 3), then MAYBE this would work out ok, because it would not be a total reboot, it would be more like a sequel or whatever.

• Lucas says:

Indeed. The whole revolving door worked on ER because it was set up from the start rather than being something that was introduced after half a dozen years.

Sure we’ve had a handful of new faces over the past 7 seasons on GA but on ER it was a handful in and out every year.

• carly says:

i think greys anatomy is great, i think if mer der go it should focus on lexi and sloan, and i also liked the comment about maybe the bus johndoe wasnt george n that he comes back from the army, maybe izzy could hear about georges return and come back to the show, its named GREYS ANATOMY but its not just about mer der is it! lexi and sloan should have a baby of their own, christina should keep her baby, u can bring in extra characters in the nursery staff, after all this is tv u can do pretty much anything especially set in a hospital!

• josephine says:

i think meredith should end up with derick

• Latifah says:

I think Lexie should definitely be with Sloan. They could be the new mer and der. Christina should leave men alone she knows that she does not like sharing her life with anyone and she does not like being told what to do so she should keep herself away from hurting any more men. Meredith seems to know and get along with Alex so maybe they would make a good couple. Derek is always telling her what to do where as Alex wouldn’t. Like adopting the African baby Derek only told Meredith that they should adopt her and she was not even ready it has always been that way with Derek and Meredith.

• M says:

Yes true. Its been a great run and now that shonda has said that the focus for this final season be on Mer Der christina and alex it will get old school grey’s again. I love me some Lexie, mark callie but lets be honest, they can’t drive the show. Every show has its highs and lows, they just need to end on their highs i.e. back to being why we watched, the romance between mer and der, trying to raise a family and christina being well christina.

• randa says:

Has anyone seen season 8 it is sooo sad i hope they make another one i cant wait and see if patrcik dempsey and all them stay it wouldnt be anything with mcsteamy mcdreamy and all the other ones so all i gotta say is donnttttttt leave make another 2 seasons pleaseeeeee!!!!!!!!!! :))))

• greysfan says:

You do realise Lexi is dead right? She does live on in my heart of the show but she is definitely dead. So she can’t carry the show as the ‘grey’. Think some people forgot

• Ben says:

Couldn’t agree more. Shonda, we know you read tvline. Negotiate this!!! Honestly, it would be perfect timing for your show.

• Andy says:

For Grey’s that was about two seasons ago. The show was beginning to slide then TR Knight departed and then Katherine Heigl. It has been downhill ever since. The ratings have halved since the start of Season 6.

3. Andrea says:

I actually read this on the mag, but I thought ‘Until Ausiello doesn’t say that, it’s not true.’

Too bad, I guess.

4. Denise says:

Sad, but can’t blame him because he’s been doing movies and racing and stuff. OMG, will be so sad if Derek dies! But, sure sounds like that’s what will happen. I guess its good for Ellen cause it will give her a storyline.

5. Amanda says:

RIP Derek Shepherd. I can’t see them having Patrick exit any other way if Ellen stays (and I think she will).

6. Janet C says:

ABC would be smart to just end the series. As much as I love the new characters like Lexi, Avery, and Hunt — I just can’t get attached to them like the originals!

• Patricia says:

Agreed. Grey’s isn’t Grey’s without any one of the originals.

• Kevin M. says:

So… Grey’s isn’t Grey’s anymore? ‘Cause both Izzie and George have left…

of course, I *still* miss George, and I got a little misty last year when I was watching “How I Met Your Mother” reruns on Comcast OnDemand, and they kept having commercials for Grey’s on Lifetime… and showing George in every one. They did NOT need to kill George off, dangit!

• Ang says:

YES!!!!!! Grey’s reruns are on ALL the time where I live and it’s just emotionally heart breaking to see the first few seasons. Yes, I know they are characters on TV show but George and Izzie were the heart of the show, the comic relief sometimes, and the ones my friends and I most identified with. Without them Grey’s is not Grey’s, it is so forced and dramatic now. Meredith and Cristina do not even ‘dance it out’ anymore and Alex’s failed relationship with the OB-GYN was just dumb (and the fact she has a slight resemblence to K. Heigl was just morbid and pandering to the audience). The show is just sad and depressing.
          Shondra Rimes needs to stop creating new shows and focus on QUALITY over QUANITY.

• Niklas says:

I absolutely hated both George and Izzy in the end. Christina is the best character imo and I hope she stays in character til the end.

• lorac says:

I second, third, fourth ……………………that.

7. Sarabi says:

It seems like this show will never die – not even if McDreamy does die! The only way to kill the show is to kill Shonda ie. her writing ego.

• lucas says:

Normally I would agree with you but it seems that the person pushing the most to wrap up the show and end on a high note is Shonda. Which scores points in my book

8. Margareth says:

Ellen needs to leave as well. The show is bad enough with MD. Without them it would be just awful

9. Kelly says:

Free Patrick Dempsey! Finally. Him going off with a bang (Derek dying) would be great. I can’t stand the fact Derek constantly needs to be burdened with the presence of Meredith. I am all for a very emotional final story for the character that finally sees him going by himself. “till death do us part” indeed.

10. Marie says:

Kill the show already. Ellen confirmed on “The Seven” (MTV) S8 will be her last.

11. Stacey says:

I wonder how they will kill Derek off. Maybe Meredith’s dream from a few seasons back where he has the accident? I wonder if they have held the baby story cause of Dempsey leaving too. I could see them having Meredith find out she is pregnant right when Derek dies.

• Tracy says:

They may not kill him. McDreamy may move to another state (or Africa cuz this show does love to use Africa as the escape valve) while Meredith stays on to finish her residency before joining him. That said, as much as I do love the show – still – I feel like they’re out of stories and it’s time to end it while it’s still in the top 10 ratings-wise.

• Monique says:

Maybe he’ll get mauled by a bear while he’s sleeping in the woods in his unfinished house. :O

12. lisa says:

there’s always the ER route tho. Doug (aka George Clooney) left the series a few seasons before Carol (aka julianna margulies) and they had her meet up with him.

13. Sam says:

This is not a surprise, I was waiting for it. Ellen needs to leave with him!!!

14. Sofia says:

I don’t think Ellen will stay. There’s nothing left for her. Unless Shonda wants to turn her into a lesbian.

• MDlove says:

There’s no Derek without Meredith and vice versa.. both Patrick and Ellen need to exit together, if not than all those years are all wasted and you can’t tell stories on Mer without Derek. Pretty sure Ellen won’t stay though she said it over and over and she’s also dying to do something new.

• CS says:

“Unless Shonda wants to turn her into a lesbian.”
      LMAO

15. Carly says:

Hmmm, Shonda has said multiple times that the show is a love story between Meredith and Cristina. I can see the show continuing after Derek dies with Meredith finding a way to continue on, leaning on her person for support, raising her baby, etc. They could always bring in another love interest a couple seasons from now to have Meredith find love again before the show ends.

16. bronzia88 says:

I’m going to go crawl to the nearest corner & cry my heart out. But no seriously I think I took the news better than I would’ve ever expected – for now. Come next May, I’ll probably be crying my heart out & very much inconsolable. This is definitely the end of the world, a world without McDreamy is a world I refuse to live in.

17. monica says:

Patrick deserves so much more. He was barely on this season. If Ellen is smart (I think she is) she’ll follow him. I’m going to miss Meredith and Derek. My favorite couple.

18. Chrystel says:

Ellen already said S8 will be her last.
    Good for them if they leave together.

19. flavia says:

shonda… kick him out!!!! dereck is always the one running away… he s not trustworthy…. and dempsey not deserving us as fans…

20. coleen says:

Ellen said first that S8 will be her last, PD just follows her.

21. catherine says:

Ellen Pompeo has said she may or may not stay. I think she’ll end up staying, it’s not like she’s got anything else to do other than GA: No movie offers, no offers for other shows. In the end for her it is just a personal choice (more time with family) while for Patrick Dempsey it is a career choice. If she feels like she can still work, maybe with a reduced workload, she may well stay. And I think Derek dying would be a far better way for the character to leave with an impression than having a sappy “together forever” ending.

• Marie says:

Actually Pompeo has been offered several movies including the Departed and The Town with Ben Affleck, but has talked about the TPTB have not let her work on them due to her schedule on GA which is more demanding than the others. She has been fine with this, but it’s not like she has not been offered roles or will continue to once her schedule is free to do more work.

22. Kristina says:

I think Ellen may stay especially if Patrick leaves. Think of the storyline possibilities that Ellen would have to play. It could be her Emmy year with material like that. Curious to how they will kill Derek off.

• EllenFan says:

I don’t think so. This is Shonda Rhimes you’re talking about. Meredith would probably hook up with Mark, Alex, or Jackson during November Sweeps. If ABC is smart, she will let Ellen go.

23. Amy says:

I doubt Pompeo will stay. She’s been saying she will go for longer than Dempsey has when he contract ends. I think the fact that Patrick has AGAIN confirmed it, just gives her more of an incentive to leave now. I will miss them both as I miss every season one character that has left the show so far. The season one actors/characters are what has and continues to make Grey’s Anatomy watchable for me.

24. Ellis says:

Ellen and Patrick need to leave together. There’s no Meredith without Derek. MD fans deserve a happy ending.

25. Darlene says:

In the MTV show Ellen clearly said S8 will be her last, no may or may not.

26. Kip says:

he should quit now and spare us the drama. He was barely on screen this past season and when he was, he acted like his heart wasn’t in it.

• Elizabeth says:

I agree he seemed to be phoning it in. If he’s not interested in staying and already confirming his exit maybe they will have him die early on in season 8 or at the mid-point and see how it goes without him.

• Sandra says:

Do you know Patrick Dempsey is like the star of the show, right? ABC will milk every single episode and promote the season as his last. If Ellen is smart, she goes too. The Season finale had barely 10 millions.

• ha says:

Pfff please. The lesbians are the new stars of that show (not that I like it). PD was the star in the first seasons. Now the show can carry on without him or EP who frankly is not the best actress. However I do not want to see that happen and I think S8 will be the last. I hope they make Merder move away together

• Monique says:

Honestly I can’t imagine getting home from band rehearsal on Thursday afternoons and not turning on Greys Anatomy. I fell in love with the whole MerDer thing. I admit I would miss Patrick Dempsey because he is McDreamy, but this past season there wasn’t that same passion between Mer and Der. Honestly he wasn’t Mc Dreamy.

27. blabla says:

Grey’s Anatomy really needs to stop when those two exit the show! Otherwise, it will be a series that continued way too long. I really love this show, it has been my favourite since it has begun, but if they quit, the show has to quit!

Though I agree that it would give Ellen Pompeo a lot more aspects to play, cause she doesn’t have to be the married chick with no own storyline, so I hope they give her a last one this upcoming season.

28. Sarah says:

I think Ellen stays. She said no one approached her yet so if they do and offer good storyline and some money I think she’ll stay. She hasn’t been in films like Patrick has.

• Kimberly says:

I don’t think so. Pompeo has said repeatedly she will go. She tries to stay diplomatic/neutral, but in more than one interview she has said it’s time, she wants to spend more time with family and pursuing films. She will leave when Dempsey goes. No doubt in my mind now.

• Lucy says:

Ellen said she had to turned many movie offers down because of Greys’s. I think she’s dying to do something new. I think she goes too.

• psyisnotcrap says:

ABC is not going to offered her more money. They may approach her but I don’t think they will offer her anything better that what she already has. ABC has Lexie, they won’t care if EP leaves.

29. noneedtoknow says:

there’s no way Ellen will stay if Patrick leaves. therefore, there’s not gonna be a season 9 because there’s no GREY’S ANATOMY without GREY! (or without MerDer ;p ) and even if there is im sure as hell not gonna watch it. 4 of the original cast is gone and the show barely survives. season 8 is the last so they better make it a heck of a lot better than season 7

30. Karen says:

Ellen will leave alongside Dempsey. She has talked about doing so since the writers strike ended in S4. She wants to go and I think both her and Patrick will make leave together and have a proper send out for fans for the characters Meredith and Derek on Grey’s Anatomy.

31. Addie says:

Ellen said she would love to do a movie, other projects. She’s leaving too. Shonda might not know it yet, but that’s the truth.

• Cindy says:

I actually think Shonda Rhimes does know. Hence her now saying she will create season 8 as if it’s the last for several characters on the show. Think she knows both Dempsey/Pompeo are going and will write the season accordingly. They’ll leave together no doubt and I think Rhimes knows it. Wonder if Sandra Oh will exit as well.

• SOfan says:

I hope Sandra Oh leaves as well. She’s a terrific actress. She deserves so much more.

• Stella says:

Sandra Oh is the only reason I am still watching GA

• Jess says:

Hopefully! Sandra is a brilliant actress but she’s always givin the same storylines over and over, she deserves so much better.

• ana says:

I love Cristina Yang and she is the only reason I watch. Her and DrHunt are my favorite cuople and characters. Hope they keep their baby and move to another hospital for her to persue her cardio fellowship. Sandra Oh is the BEST actress by far and I want to see her doing more movies

32. Ingmar says:

If Derek leaves the show I guess Meredith should go to. I dont want Derek to die or just leave her. I’ll miss Meredith like hell and the actress, but she deserves to get her happy ending with Derek. I am realy curious which original cast members will renew their contract and who wont but I am glad Shonda is already expecting the worst so she can prepare for it. Or maybe the whole show should just stop after next season and ship some characters off to Private Practice? Who knows.

• amelia says:

i could totally see this happening…my guess would be that shonda ships mark, callie, arizona, and of course baby sofia off to LA to join PP. But seriously greys needs to end when patrick leaves.

• Tory says:

PP is a better fit for Mark. Not sure about Calzona. But PP is in worst shape than GA. The PP finale got about 7.5 which is what the premier of Off The Map got and now it’s off the air.I’m out when Ellen leaves but it won’t be pretty when Patrick leaves.

33. Arabela says:

Hopefully, the 8th season will be everyone’s last. It’s time to end.

34. Arabela says:

Hopefully, the 8th season will be everyone’s last. It’s time to end this.

35. Rhonda says:

The TV Guide blurb and the quotes from Shonda to Ausiello leave me thinking that there is a good chance Ellen will stick around. They seem to be preparing the audience that Derek will die. Really can’t blame Patrick. Derek never really gets a storyline at all that is about Derek. Here’s hoping his movie career really takes off now.

• Gloria says:

I guess you didn’t watch “The Seven”. Ellen said s8 is her last season. She’s excited to do new projects.

• Cinders says:

Ellen seems to be backtracking. She said after the Seven interview that she had not yet made a formal decision on extending her contract. Also, the show had not yet invited her to extend her contract as yet. That doesn’t sound like somebody definitively going.

• psyisnotcrap says:

I actually go with her leaving than staying, by how many times she has said she is leaving after S8. She has said she is leaving more than she says that she is not sure. But just how take it.

• Jessica says:

If you follow Pompeo’s career, and I’m a fan, so I have, she has said repeatedly she will leave when her contract ends. She has been definite about it in many interviews and some vague, but she’s going no doubt. Too many times she has said she’s exiting when the contract ends and now with Dempsey finally making his choice clear, both she and Dempsey will leave to make it the most sanctifying exit for fans rather than let them down by having one of the characters (MerDer) die. She has always expressed how much she values MerDer and the fans for supporting that. Pretty certain both actors will do their best to make the ending good for fans who have been with them since first scene of season one up to now.

36. Cathy says:

He’s gone, she’s gone, I’m gone, too. None of the other characters are that interesting. Move McSteamy to PP; that would work for me!

37. Amy says:

Derek Shepherd is the single most irritating character on TV. Dempsey deserves better. If he leaves, maybe I could stand to watch GA again!

• Lil says:

Poor thing…
      You must be the one person left on earth to not get the McDreamy charm. You don’t know what you’re missing.

Derek Shepherd will always be my favorite tv character ever!

• Captain says:

That’s a pretty arrogant attitude. “You must be the only person who doesn’t like the character I like” Plenty of people don’t like him. Don’t assume because an opinion is yours, its the right (or only) one.

• Joe Camel says:

I seem to remember Dr. McDreamy’s entire first season (and character introducing, thematically defining) story arc revolving around how he flirted with and became involved with a young woman…………..WHILE HE WAS STILL MARRIED. Didn’t he just flee his marriage to live some mid-life crisis fantasy? How is that sexy, or admirable, in the least? What’s super pathetic is I know more than half a dozen women, each who have had their hearts broken by an unfaithful lover, and who all adore this character.

38. Kelsey says:

Great, Derek will die and Meredith with be with her soulmate. Cristina’s dream of season 5 with Meredith and Cristina ending up together cooking chicken comes true.

I just hope they give Patrick some great scenes as he dies. He deserves it.

39. Neal says:

Dempsey will go, Pompeo will also go and with that, I will go. With Dempsey, Pompeo, Heigl, Knight and even Washington gone, there’s less and less of a reason to suffer through this show afte S8. Hope Sandra goes as well. She deserves better than the horrid writing they’ve been giving Cristina for the past few seasons.

• psyisnotcrap says:

Word Sandra need to leave and do more interesting characters. I actually think this show should end. Like ASAP.

40. Doubtful says:

Dempsey has said a few times he would leave after his 7 year contract then signed on for season 8. He saying again he’s going may amount to nothing. If not, I wish him luck. He has movies coming out and many other projects going on so good for him. If Ellen stays I hope they do a time jump after Derek dies. I can’t imagine a whole season of her laying in bed with Cristina cause McDreamy died.

41. Captain says:

If MerDer leave, I would love it if Lexie/Mark take over as the core couple but it will most likely be Christina/Owen.

42. estelle says:

Ellen said she’s done after s8 and she said it BEFORE dempsey.

• Ivy says:

Uh? So? What’s your point?

• Noname says:

Patrick said he was leaving after his contract way back in season 2 in an interview in Details magazine. So, Patrick said it first. LMAO, like it matters who said it first.

• psyisnotcrap says:

Then how come he didn’t leave after S3? because the contract he was under back in S2 his expired back in S3. lol

• IHDDE says:

so he changed his mind I guess, maybe he’ll do it again.

• glee says:

That’s not true. They all had a contract for 7 seasons. They decided to sign for another season. Now he decides he had enough. Can’t blame the guy. The show is awful. Ellen better leave with him.

43. Joee says:

Ouch ahaha! Sharp ending to this article with the suggestion of Derek Shepherd being killed :P

• Maria says:

Up until today we thought that when Shonda Rhimes said she won’t end MerDer. That the only way ti would end is if one of them dies, we thought she was referring to Meredith because Pompeo has said more than once she’s leaving when he contract ends. So now fans are thinking Shonda is talking bout (Derek) Dempsey? LoL What a difference a week makes. Rule one in Shondalnad: Never trust anything Shonda Rhimes says. Chances are she’ll either deny it later, or never follow through on it period.

• Lulu says:

Hee hee Knowing Shonda the house frame falls on poor Derek in the SP and he’s gone the rest of S8. I like Derek but he’s on no way my favorite character.

• Wendy says:

Your comment made me laugh because I could actually see it happening on the show! They said Patrick would be back in season 8 so I guess the house falling on him in episode 1 let’s that be true :) On a serious note, I can see Ellen staying more than Patrick. If that’s how it works out Derek is dead for sure.

44. Dempeo says:

ABC needs to promote this season as Ellen/Patrick’s last season.

45. Michelle says:

Good for Patrick. He needs to get away from Shonda’s drivel ASAP. He deserves better. I truly think Ellen will follow his lead. There is no Mer without Der and vice versa. After everything this couple and its fans have gone through they deserve their happy ending. So get to work on that, Shonda!

46. T McNeil says:

Television writers too frequently kill-off charcters — often to little effect (I’m looking at you, “ER”) — instead of letting them exit for some other reason. When “M*A*S*H” killed-off Henry Blake, it was so McLean Stevenson couldn’t come asking for his job after his other show failed. But “M*A*S*H” was also set in a war, and it made great sense to kill a character. Killing Dr. Derek Shepard instead of letting him take a job elsewhere — the character took the job in Seattle because he was running away from his marriage — is simply misguided. As for the show surviving past season eight…does it need to? It doesn’t win its time-slot (though I don’t know how it does in the demos), it has lost about 1/3 of its fan-base since ’08, and Rhimes doesn’t appear to know how to develop satisfying, sustainable relationships for the characters to inhabit. I would think the future of “Grey’s Anatomy” has more to do with season eight ratings and pilots in the pipe than it does on whether the two primary stars remain with the show or not.

• Janelle says:

Agreed and to kill Meredith or Derek as the end to the MerDer love story or simply have Derek abandon Mer/Zola, would be one of the most unsatisfying endings to a storyline ever. The fanbase for MerDer have been with them since S1, and that is an awful way to send them out as they have been the show’s mainstay couple. For me, it would impact ever watching future Shonda Rhimes projects in the future. Why bother if that is all she can come up with? Hope she does right by this tv couple, by both characters, and that Ellen POmpeo and Patrick Dempsey both leave the show when their contracts end to give the fans a more satisfying end of their story together which has been the longest running Grey’s Antaomy coupling in the shows history. I guess we shall see.

• KFM says:

Wouldn’t it be great if they had him abandon Meredith for a hotshot position at some other hospital, where he just repeated the same pattern he acted out in Seattle? Trailer, young girl, impressionable romantic, etc, etc. I’d actually start watching this show again if they made a season 9 revolving around Meredith coming to terms with her mythic love being a total sham. Also if they made it about a Washington Medical Ethics board finally cracking down on the staff at Seattle Grace.

47. Fran says:

Derek dying would be the saddest thing to ever happen on Grey’s. It certainly would change everything and open up storyline for Meredith. I am misty eyed just thinking about it. And now I’m going to spend all summer thinking about all the ways they could kill of Derek. Oh boy!

48. summer says:

Derek won’t die. Ellen will leave with Patrick. Meredith and Derek will probably go lost in the parking lot. That’s how Shonda Rhimes rolls.

49. Jenna says:

Meredith and Derek riding off into the sunset is so predictable that I’m guessing that happens. But, Shonda has recently commented that Grey’s isn’t happy and that one could die so maybe they will do something surprising and really kill Derek off. It would be a shock because most shows wouldn’t end its couple that way.

• Giles says:

Yeah because killing off a main character sis not “predictable” at all-
      ( refer toER, M*A*S*H and countless other shows who have done that rather than choose anything better or more original). I don’t want to see Derek die. Been with this characters since S1. Surely there’s less predictable things than to kill him off which is eye rolling in it’s “been there done that” scenario of storylines and just about the LEAST shocking ending ever for him to exit the show on.

• Jenna says:

Its my opinion that a couple riding off into the sunset is predictable. You don’t have to agree but there’s no reason to be so snotty. And, for the record, ER sent its 2 biggest couples of into the sunset with a happy ending.

• alex says:

If they both leave together (I think they will) I can’t see ABC letting Shonda killing their main couple. They will give MD fans a predictable but satisfying payoff.

50. Sheila says:

Ellen Pompeo was never offered a part in “The Town.” The role was Blake Lively’s from the start. Not to mention the fact Blake Lively is twenty years younger than her categorically excludes that they would have offered that same role to someone twice her age (and far less beautiful, as Pompeo certainly can’t compete with Lively in terms of looks). She was never offered a role in The Departed either. If she has said that (I’ve never seen it reported anywhere, let alone on press that matters) it’s pretty sad, because it’s a lie. Seen as I don’t think she is that desperate yet, I actually think her fans are making this stuff up. She gets no offers. Not from TV, not from movies. She’s not the right age anymore, she isn’t that good an actress at all, and there are hundreds of people who are much better than her out there. Glad that PD is leaving, good for him. He actually has a career other than Grey’s Anatomy so he better pursue it.

• Megan says:

….Said a “anonymous” person above with absolutely NO knowledge of what Ellen Pompeo has been offfered or not. How can we believe you on this? You are not an expert merely someone coming online acting as if you know the roles Pompeo has been offered or not. Your credibility is not anything anyone can base facts on no matter how you try to act like you are. I wouldn’t come on here pretending to have facts on any of these actors/actresses careers, the choices or roles they have been offered or not. But it’s an online world and as you can see, there are many that act to be an “authority” on things they cannot prove for the life of them. You have no idea who was asked, not asked, considered or not considered for any roles, so please stop acting as if you are.

• gally says:

Because Dempsey is a good actor ?