Mariska Hargitay Laments Chris Meloni's SVU Exit: 'I Love Him and Will Miss Him Terribly'

Law & Order: SVU‘s Mariska Hargitay is speaking out for the first time about the departure of her longtime partner in crime, Chris Meloni.

“For the past 12 years Chris has been my partner and friend, both on screen and off,” the Emmy winner tells TVLine exclusively. “He inspired me every day with his integrity, his extraordinary talent and his commitment to the truth. I love him deeply and will miss him terribly — I’m so excited to see what he’ll do next.”

Earlier this week, TVLine broke the news that Meloni was turning in his badge after 12 years of playing Detective Stabler. The actor tendered his resignation after marathon contract talks with NBC collapsed suddenly.

A search is now underway for a big-name actor to be paired with Hargitay’s Detective Benson before she steps away from her full-time beat at midseason.

Comments (121)

• This is a tragedy! How am I supposed to watch L&O:SVU without Stabler & only half of Benson’s time. =[ This is a sad sad situation! I mean I know I can’t expect them to be around forever, but I was hoping they would stay put until the show ended.

Comment by Jenna – May 27, 2011 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • See … I felt the same way about M*A*S*H when various “irreplacable” characters left … and yet the show just got stronger. It was different but did not suffer because of the cast changes. I always give a favorite show a chance when there are cast changes … some succeed and some don’t. But you should be give them a chance; you might miss something great.

Comment by Maryb889 – May 27, 2011 08:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well said. Imagine if we had never given BJ or Col. Potter a chance! I will miss Stabler but I am excited to see who they bring in.

Comment by Allison – May 27, 2011 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • While normally I would agree, I have to say that L&O (first of all is NOT M*A*S*H) does not handle the cycle of characters well. I’ve been a fan of this show since it was Noth and Orbach as the lead detectives of the show and have been as faithful as possible to it, but they really start to fall apart after the characters change. Benjamin Bratt was a good character back in the day, and I didn’t mind the guy who came after (brain farting on his name right now). But once Orbach left? Went to Hell in a hand basket. Stabler was my boy, and no Jennifer Love-Hewitt boobage will ever replace Olivia. This show is done but it will get beaten to death over the next 9 years so it can beat out original L&O as the longest running incarnation of Dick Wolf running out of ideas.

Comment by Dan – May 27, 2011 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • No way SVU lasts 9 more years, first of all.

Comment by Micah – May 27, 2011 11:05 AM PDT
          • Orbach wasn’t even Noth’s original partner, he was about the 3rd partner, he just lasted the longest ( until his sad demise to cancer) That is one of the great things about the Original L&O the cast could change and the quality remained. Give any new cast members a chance on SVU…at least see who the show ACTUALLY casts before ripping anyone. I’m actually sad the original is gone, and I’m also sad L&O LA didn’t make the cut.

Comment by Mike – May 29, 2011 07:01 AM PDT
        • I totally agree with Allison! Why just think of all the wonderful joy television has brought to us over the years. I sure wouldn’t want to miss out on another exciting and great character! Can’t wait to see who they bring in to nod their head at witnesses giving us information that will lead to another witness!

Comment by Not an NBC internet monkey – May 28, 2011 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Well maybe you’re right Let’s hope Wolf can reincarnate Charlie Bronson or rebuild Dirty Harry maybe steroids can bring Eastwood back into shape. (Great Guy that he still is) How about Liam Neison?
            He was great in Taken. Best yet, it’s time to rotate Obama out Ever since he got bin laden, macho man that he thinks he is.. he could team up with Lib Munch and and talk Ice Tea into playing hoops.

Now that will get ratings. All Wolf then has to do is kill off Det. Barrack in the first show and build a Mosque.

Comment by NY Ray – June 9, 2011 07:02 PM PDT
      • Yeah well after Meloni leaves. I’m calling it quits myself. I only watched for Stabler and Benson. Not going to be the same. Could be the final year for SVU and Law & Order franchise.

Comment by Terence Jordan – May 29, 2011 09:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I think you are right about this being the end–it was the end for me when the Original L&O left and L&O CI went to the USA Network. I loved Goren & Eames and when I heard they were coming back I was so excited. However, this Sunday is the Series Finale! I also loved the L&O Conviction Series and the L&O La that were not given any chances at all!

Can’t anyone get along with Dick Wolfe????? I hear he is very difficult to work for!

Comment by VTisc – June 25, 2011 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree with you terence. i love the show and the chemistry between stabler and benson has kept me watching for years. don’t know that i can continue with a new set of characters.

Comment by kmp – July 5, 2011 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I AGREE, THE SHOW WILL NEVER BE THE SAME WITHOUT ELLIOT…..NBC HAS TO BRING HIM BACK PLEASE….PLEASE….PLEASE

Comment by KELLY – July 5, 2011 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes, Yes, Yes bring Meloni back the show is nothing without him and Mariska!! Please Please Please

Madeline from Miami

Comment by madeline kramer – September 29, 2011 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love SVU. I can’t watch the show without stabler. It’s not going to be the same. I miss Chris Meloni. Any chance he might be coming back. Please bring chris back to the show.

Comment by s gill – September 22, 2011 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I can’t believe stabler is not gonna be in svu anymore? I love svu show only because of Bensen and stabler. Both of them are my favorite dectectives. I have been watching thi show for a while now and i record all the episodes. I am still in Shock. Please bring stabler back to the show. plz…. I miss him so much.

Comment by s gill – September 22, 2011 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love law and order svu with stabler but I still will love the show cause marishka hargitay is in it. If you are reading this marishka I love you

Comment by Leah – November 26, 2012 03:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Hey people who are watching law and order svu don’t say bad things just because Elliot is not there any more I read something bad just cause he’s not there so be thankful Olivia is still there and Finn and munch. By the way I’m 11.

Comment by Leah – November 26, 2012 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Ok it’s Leah again I’m watching law and order svu the ones with stabler now i miss him even more by the way if you read the comment and under it you will see who the comment is by and everyone that sees the comment by me Leah I’m 11years old and my favorite person is Olivia benson aka marishka hargitay.

Comment by Leah – November 26, 2012 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really? I really have trouble believing this – for the past season or two these two have barely shared any screen time. I figured there was some backstage drama going on and neither one wanted to work with the other.

Comment by Dana – May 27, 2011 07:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I figured that the reason was because their contracts called for them to appear in less episodes, so instead of teaming them up together in those few episodes they had them alternate so that at least each episode had one of them in it.

Comment by Michael Sacal – May 27, 2011 07:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Your comment makes sense. It has no place here.

Comment by sadtroll – May 28, 2011 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think you’ve been watching the same show as everyone else.

Comment by BRETT – May 27, 2011 08:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I was about to say the same thing. If they were watching this show they would know that since season 7 it has only been the Benson and Stabler show. The rest of the cast has been virtually nonexistant. I’m looking forward to this change. Bring in some fresh blood. Lord knows this show needs it. I’m ready to see something other than the personal melodrama of Stabler and Benson clouding up my screen for an hour a week.

Comment by Nicole – May 27, 2011 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree with you Dana! Very frustrating past season – very rarely did Hargitay and Meloni share the same episode. The supporting cast was leaned on heavily.

@Michael Sacal – your answer is correct. Both stars’ contracts had their on-set time reduced = they had to be split up in order to get a full season out of them while trying to maintain the illusion that they were together on each episode. (One of them would only appear at the beginning and/or the end of an episode and the other would do the entire episode – alone). Disappointing season!

Comment by Suncatcher – May 29, 2011 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yet another show that will have overstayed its welcome. These two actors are the series. Without them, there is nothing. When Meloni left, they should have cancelled it–after 12 years viewers will NOT accept replacements. Why don’t networks ever learn?

Comment by dee – May 27, 2011 07:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not dissimilar to when David Duchovny left “The X-Files” – and look how that turned out for everyone.

Comment by RJNeb2 – May 27, 2011 07:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The situation might end up reflecting Cheers or Hogan’s Family, and the replacement could end up carrying the show for another six seasons.

People just have to give it a chance.

Comment by Michael Sacal – May 27, 2011 08:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • cancel it because ONE cast member leaves? Not done. Some watch for MH you know.

Comment by Popa – May 27, 2011 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • SVU is badly wounded as BOTH stars will be absent in some way next season. Meloni is not returning at all and Hargitay is only appearing in half the episodes and this will be her last season. They might be able to replace one of them – but both? Only hope is the strong supporting cast?

Comment by Suncatcher – May 29, 2011 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Couldn’t agree more. See above.

Comment by Dan – May 27, 2011 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. They should cancel the show since Chris is not going to be in it. These two actors are the series of this show, without them there is nothing. I can’t watch the show anymore without meloni. it’s not the same.

Comment by s Gill – September 22, 2011 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No Meloni, no more SVU for me. I don’t know what happened to make contract negotiations break down, but NBC should revisit that situation and fix it fast! What’s the point of SVU without Stabler and with less Benson? The two of them together is what made the show a success.

Comment by Susan – May 27, 2011 07:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe they do not want to do the show anymore. 12 years is a long time

Comment by T – May 27, 2011 07:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s all about the money – and with NBC as a whole falling fast in the ratings – I’m sure there are cost cutting demands from the top. NBC’s buyout I’m sure led to different ‘priorities’ in the entertainment division. This is just part of the shakeout – agree to a paycut or go elsewhere.

Comment by forrest – May 27, 2011 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with susan. NO Meloni no more SVU. NBC should seriously think about their decision and must fix the contract negotiations with Meloni and bring him back to the show. ALL THE FANS DEMAND CHRIS MELONI BACK ON THE SHOW. NBC PPL MUST LISTEN TO OUR REQUESTS AND BRING MELONI BACK TO THE SHOW WITH BENSON. WITHOUT THEM SHOW IS NOTHING AND IT CAN’T BE A SUCCESS. BRING MEONI BACK!!!

Comment by s Gill – September 22, 2011 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • @Dana – nah, they seem pretty tight. I always assumed the alternating Benson/Stabler episodes were so that they could have more time off work and/or didn’t have to work such long hours – as a viewer, I didn’t like it. Mariska’s always been my favourite though, so I’m glad she’s sticking around, even in a reduced capacity.

Comment by Jay – May 27, 2011 07:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • will we ever see him again in svu will he ever retuen

Comment by alma – May 27, 2011 07:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • NO!! He quit! If you quit your job would you go back??

Comment by T – May 27, 2011 07:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That is lovely, Mariska is such a wonderful woman & she’s right he will be deeply missed :(

Shame other actors don’t speak out when people leave shows……*cough* Hugh Laurie *cough*

Comment by BabyGoz – May 27, 2011 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • one-Chris Meloni is a class act, but to think that replacing him will bring SVU down is ridiculous. The show has had a long and successful run. IMHO any show that can’t survive a character’s replacment probably is on its way out anyway.

two-Just because Hugh Laurie hasn’t commented, doesn’t mean that he won’t. LE decision came suddenly and Hugh is on the other side of the world filming a movie. He probably has other things on his mind at the moment.

Comment by Judy – May 27, 2011 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • “but to think that replacing him will bring SVU down is ridiculous”

AMEM. he’s replacable. It was not his show alone.

Comment by tally – May 27, 2011 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really wish that since he was going to leave, they’d have at least contracted for the first half and let him (Elliot) bow out gracefully. Have a real good-bye between Benson and
    Stabler. As it is, we’ll get some off-the-hand mention and then nothing more. I hate SvU’s production/writer team.

Comment by Jen – May 27, 2011 07:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s what upsets me the most about this whole thing. I haven’t watched the finale yet, but I’m guessing if they didn’t know he was leaving than the finale doesn’t mention it at all. After 12 years of seeing them share some crazy intense, emotional moments over the past 12 years, I feel so cheated that we’re not getting a REAL goodbye.

Comment by Heather – May 27, 2011 08:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • But what are they going to do with his story line? Is he just going to disappear from the show??? How will they explain it?

Comment by Gina – May 27, 2011 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So is this the answer to that blind item about a popular lead character in a drama getting killed? Are they killing Stabler off? Or did we already get the answer to that blind item and I missed it?

Comment by Megan – May 27, 2011 08:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The “OMFG TOTALLY SHOCKING DEATH!!!111″ was Sister Peg.

Comment by Alex – May 27, 2011 08:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Shocking death for SVU maybe, but it definitely does not fit the blind item from back in March. I’ve been wondering about it for weeks, because someone suggested Derek on Grey’s, and Ausiello said this death would actually be WORSE than if they killed off Derek. Sister Peg was great, but this doesn’t really qualify. Hmmm…

Comment by Megan – May 27, 2011 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think the diva that may or may not get killed off on a show was supposed to be younger. And probably Kurt from Glee…or someone from Gossip Girl that nobody cares about.

Comment by sadtroll – May 28, 2011 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am going to miss Chris Meloni and the Benson/Stabler dynamic so much. As far as off-screen, they seem to be close. I think Mariska is even one if his children’s godmother.

Comment by Mikaylah – May 27, 2011 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well look at it from another perspective; this way, they won’t have to explain how Olivia who has a grade less than Elliot gets the promotion instead of him. ;)

Anyway it’s so sad, i wish i comes bach as a Special Guest Star for at least another episode next season to give a proper ending to his character.

Comment by Jayjay – May 27, 2011 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually, after all these years I’ve just assumed that they were the same grade. As far as I remember we haven’t heard anything about their grade since the deleted scenes of Countdown in season 2

Comment by Taryn – May 27, 2011 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mariska is the only reason I watch. Could are less about Meloni.
    BYE!

Comment by Ares – May 27, 2011 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • On the flip side, I only watch for Chris/Stabler. I like Mariska, but I couldn’t care less if Benson is in the show. I’m done with SVU.

Comment by Sean – May 28, 2011 03:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • On the coin’s edge, I like them both but can’t be bothered to watch more than six thousand hours of crime procedurals in this lifetime and so I stopped watching after that episode where the blonde spazzy kid killed that other lab guy and tied up Stabler. They’ve both had a loooooong run here and Meloni will find work. Hargitay too when she hangs’em up on svu.

Comment by sadtroll – May 28, 2011 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really admire the friendship between Chris and Mariska. She always makes a point of saying how much you admire him in every way. Surely it will make a huge shortage and I’m not sure of her chemistry with his new partner.

Comment by Anon – May 27, 2011 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have been bitching about this since the news broke. I swore I wasnt going to watch anymore. Well, I have calmed down and I am going to give it a chance. If it tanks, then the series will end. I still love the premise of the show – which is why I watched it in the first place. I had barely heard of MH or CM when the show first came out.

Maybe they will feature more Much and Fin? Always love Belzer and his conspiracy theories!

Comment by Tracy – May 27, 2011 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They should bring in Tom Irwin to replace Chris. He guest starred on an episode earlier in the season. He’s always had a sincerity about him (and he was one of the best TV dads ever – My So Called Life!).

Comment by anon – May 27, 2011 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why replace Meloni? Let’s have more Munch instead!!!

Comment by Jodi – May 27, 2011 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I screamed when i heard this, i was devastated those two so good together. no more bensler, no more me watching this show. I cant believe he walked away, hopefully it is for the better. but the show isnt going to be as strong as it once was.. and it is going to lose viewers..
    i’m going to miss them. but i am excited to see what he gets into next..he cant be a cop forever…good luck MH… thank you.

Comment by nat – May 27, 2011 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was definitely in the ridiculously disappointed category when I first heard this news, but I think I’m willing to give the show a chance. Ice-T and Marika always had some great chemistry, and Munch of course is great. I hope they get either Stephanie March or Diane Neal back too.

As for a Meloni replacement, I’m still voting for Dean Winters a.k.a. detective Cassidy from season 1… he was awesome!! The kinda goofy kid who couldn’t handle it. It would be great to see him back.

Comment by Em – May 27, 2011 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Haha, that would be great too! Love Dean!

Comment by Andrea – June 1, 2011 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Having watched the finale, I think I know the reason they will give for Stabler leaving. I haven’t been a fan of just one of the leads in some of the shows. And now one will be gone altogether and then we won’t see the other in as many shows once Hargitay scales back her hours by having Benson move to a new job. I don’t think the show will work without the two of them. I will give it a chance though.

Comment by Carm – May 27, 2011 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How many leads did the original L&O go through over its 19 year run? Granted, the last couple of years weren’t so great, but people still watched for 19 years. They’ll do fine as long as they find the right replacement.

Comment by Bob – May 27, 2011 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually it was 20 years. I know because the record was set at 20 years by Gunsmoke and L&O only had one more year to go to break it. Stupid NBC ended it before they could.

Comment by Dav – May 28, 2011 05:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I do not get tired of looking at pictures of Mariska Hargitay. She is so pretty. Do not know if I’ll still see SVU. Cris will be greatly missed. The chemistry with Mariska it was perfect. I am very sad. I wish the best for him.

Comment by Dun – May 27, 2011 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They could get Elias Koteas, and most people wouldn’t notice the difference :)

J/K, I’ve been a Meloni fan since Oz. Don’t usually watch SVU though.

Comment by Walrus – May 27, 2011 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Great Idea! I have always thought they could be twins…

Comment by LBJ – May 28, 2011 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so sad. Although I love Munch and Finn, Huang, and Casey, Benson and Stabler are the heart and soul of SVU. I watch all the marathons. Words cannot express how much I love this show. I will not be watching after Mariska leaves. CERTAINLY not after/if they hire Jennifer Love-Hewitt (which the producers must be off their rocker for even considering)

Comment by Amy – May 27, 2011 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Give him the money guys so the great show can go on. They are great together and you will loose your viewers if you don’t. Just look at Las Vegas and what happened when their lead star left and Sellick stepped in. Awful. But, Sellick is great on Jesse Stone.

Comment by Precilla Fanono – May 27, 2011 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If they can’t get Meloni back then I want to see Scott Bakula or Michael T Weiss be called in to be the new male lead.

Comment by Megalion – May 27, 2011 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Scott Bakula already has a show going.

Comment by Kerwin – May 27, 2011 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i stopped watching SVU a couple years back when it got overtly and overly preachy – i get sending a message but don’t write dialogue that goes on for 5 minutes telling me exactly what the message is weave it into the story like you used to do – i will not watch anymore love Mariska but not worth an hour of my life to be preached at

Comment by mdb – May 27, 2011 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The writing has been downright BAD the past couple of seasons….

Comment by Mr. Drummond – May 28, 2011 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • STOP LOOKING AND JUST GIVE ICE-T MORE SCREEN TIME! The showrunners are so stupid! They already have excellent talent right in their grasp and they’re looking elsewhere. I hope this show plummets.

Comment by Hanson – May 27, 2011 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ROFL at this. Ice-T is the worst actor on the show hands down. MOAR MUNCH PLX!

Comment by Danielle H. – May 27, 2011 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @Hanson, I am in agreement with you, use the exisiting talent that you have, promote the others within the team!!!

Comment by Mrs Green – May 30, 2011 02:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Kyle Chandler as a replacement? He’s hot and can be tough and caring all at the same time. I’d watch!

Comment by kimburle – May 27, 2011 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think that Kyle Chandler would be an excellent replacement for Chris Meloni. He would have great chemistry with Mariska and has a tough but sensitive demeanor that would fit in perfectly for the show. Chandler was super in Friday Night Lights and has acted well in everything he has been in. I think the executives for the show should seriously consider him if he is interested in the role. Keep your fingers crossed.

Comment by Bigfan – June 25, 2011 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I feel that there are big shoes to fill where Stabler is concerned. I’m not sure that they will find another actor/character to pair Benson with that will work so well. I do wish we would get a real goodbye between them, one that makes us ache for more but appreciate that there can’t be anymore.

Comment by Faith – May 27, 2011 10:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jeremy Sisto! If not him, then Skeet Ulrich.

Comment by yurune – May 27, 2011 11:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish him well. This is the end for SVU. It will limp along another season (maybe two b/c it’s NBC and they got nothing else), but this is the end. For all that having been saying they don’t care and are there to watch Mariska. What are you going to do when she’s in every other episode for about 10 minutes starting midseason?

This is the same thing that happened to X-Files. The show revolves around two strong leads. A buddy cop show, if you will. Comparisons to MASH or Cheers, half hour comedic ensemble pieces are misplaced. It’s been a great run for the show. Too bad it will be a less than full end…….Only thing that could work is if they bring back a L&O big name like Chris Noth…..

Comment by Patrick Bateman – May 28, 2011 12:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wouldn’t be surprised the least if I was to see these two again together in a series on CBS. I have a feeling Meloni will be heading to CBS come mid-season.

Comment by Mark – May 28, 2011 08:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The worst part is, now we’ll never see the E/O hook-up we all have been waiting for for 12 years.

Comment by Ella – May 28, 2011 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i hope they promote detective finn,and bring an underling in too take
    over his partnering with munch.if they can’t do that,i wish they would promote vincent d’onofrio from criminal intent.he’s by far the best actor to ever play a detective in the whole law and order family.
    i sure as hell do NOT want to see jennifer love hewett on law and order as a member of the squad.she would be badly out of place there!

Comment by deadmanwalking47 – May 28, 2011 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They didn’t even do an episode where Stabler leaves. This is sad. I heard rumors that he was thinking about leaving but I was hoping they would do an episode where Stabler turns in his badge and leaves. I’m guessing Chris Meloni didn’t want to make it too hard to leave.

Comment by christina Barker – May 28, 2011 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chris Meloni and Mariska Hargitay Madw that show what it is. It won’t last the reast of the saason wothout them. I know I won’t watch it without them. Dick wolf could at least give us fans what we want and put them together as a couple before he left.I am so upset that he is leaving but as long as Chris is happy then that is all that matters to me. He and Mariska are Best Friends and he loves her just as much as she loves him. Yes she is his daughter Sophia’s godmother. I love them both dearly and all that I care about is that they are both happy with whatever they decided. I will support them no matter what. Chris is my baby and I love him more then words can say. Mariska is my idol and inpiration and I love her to peaces.

Comment by kimberly Allred – May 28, 2011 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Kim – you’re freaking me out – you’re talking about them like they are your family or best friends. Their actors. On a tv show. Who wouldn’t know you from a hole in the ground. Get a grip – “Chris is my baby.” Ummmm….

Comment by Lisa – May 28, 2011 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I understand that he is leaving and absolutely think the show can continue – and maybe even get better with some new blood – but it’s very sad to think after 12 years with Stabler, we won’t get a proper goodbye – it will be mentioned in the first epp of next season that he is no longer with SVU force for this or that reason, but no closure, no goodbye. That is the real loss.

Comment by Lisa – May 28, 2011 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The whole no closure, no goodbye that you just mentioned is exactly what I dislike the most about this situation! I am curious to know what their reason for this will be though. It’s sad that he won’t be part of the series any longer and although he may not have been the only cast member in the show, like I believe someone else mentioned here, the truth of the matter is- later on in the seasons, the writers did start to cater more to Mariska and Chris’s characters so, in a way- they did kind of become the Benson & Stabler show (unofficially). It was fine and dandy though because they were/are my favorite characters so I never cared to complain about that, but to think that his departure from the show won’t hurt it in the long run is absurd! The majority of the show’s fans are really drawn and invested with Benson & Stabler and eventually because of that, people also became drawn and invested with Mariska and Chris- which is exactly why I don’t believe the show will last beyond the 13th season. Unfortunately for Mariska the burden of the ratings is going to fall heavily on her shoulders for those 13 (or whatever amount) episodes she is contractually obligated to star in. The minimum of appearances made by her in the season will also bring the show’s demise. Anyway, 12 years is a pretty long run- I will miss weekly dose of the Benson/Stabler dynamic but- if I survived the series finale of Friends, I will survive this. Without Hargitay and Meloni- sadly it’s just not worth it.

Comment by Mia – May 28, 2011 10:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with you. That sucks that Dick wolf did at least give us fans that before he left. Liv and El were such a perfect couple.

Comment by kim – May 28, 2011 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NO ONE ON THIS PLANET COULD EVER IN 2 MILLION YEARS COULD REPLACE CHRIS MELONI HE IS THE BEST OF THE BEST OF THE BEST PERIOD. THERES NOT A MAN ON THIS PLANET SEXIER THEN CHRIS THAT I PROMISE WILL NEVER HAPPEN. EVER

Comment by kim – May 28, 2011 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Chirs Meloni is non replacable. He is the best of the best. I love his personality, his looks and his acting. I agree with kim that no other man can replace Meloni. I will never watch the show again unless they bring Meloni back. what were they thinking? show is not going to last another season. so many viewers are disappointed and their rating are gunna go down. Stabler was the BEST!!!

Comment by s Gill – September 22, 2011 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FACE IT ITS ON ITS WAY OUT NOW ANYWAY BECAUE CHRIS LEFT AND MARISH IS LEAVING I WONT WATCH IT WITHOUT THEM. THEY MADE THE SHOW WHAT IT IS. THEY WILL LOOSE ALL THEIR VEIWERS NOW. AND NO HE DID NOT QUIET DICK WOLF DOESN’T WANT TO PAY CHRIS WHAT HE WANTS TO STAY OR HE WOULD HAVE.

Comment by kim – May 28, 2011 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They won’t be back for a 14th season the show is going to go down the drain with out chris and Mariska.

Comment by kim – May 28, 2011 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Although Elliot and Olivia always had unbelievable chemistry (and I always kind of hoped they would get together despite the fact that he was married) Fin and olivia had chemistry too. In a recent episode he said to elliot “I watch her back; not her backside”. His sense of humor and the protective demeanor might go well with her. It wont be identical but regardless it isnt NBC’s fault if Meloni got greedy.

Comment by Heather – May 28, 2011 10:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Great point, Heather. I love Finn and Olivia’s chemistry. I hope they partner them up more.

Comment by Lisa – May 29, 2011 08:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I might be able to watch SVU again with Meloni gone. His character Stabler was too stupid to accept even with suspension of disbelief. Once a crime was committed, he thought everybody he saw was the perp and treated them that way. If he had a brain, he might have been able to solve crimes through use of evidence and logic.

Comment by Larc – May 29, 2011 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Only thing stupid in this situation is that dumbass comment of yours.

They all pushed hard on ALL of the perpz they got to psyche them out–scare them. They lose ther s**t, then it makes it all the easier to break them. It’s testament to your idiocy that you weren’t able to pick up on that fact after however many years of it happening in the show. -___-

But anyway, I digress. Permanently.

Comment by TGDS – July 12, 2011 02:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show peaked 5 years ago anyway. NBC made a big mistake canceling the parent show and keeping SVU on life support. The bigger news is that Vincent D’Onofrio has returned to Criminal Intent which was a vastly superior show (in my opinion). I’ll never understand the thought patterns of TV execs.

Comment by martinex – May 29, 2011 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wonder if D’Onofrio will still occasionally hold his head near a 90-degree angle when he talks to somebody? He never looked completely sane doing that.

Comment by Larc – May 30, 2011 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It is enormously unfair to Christopher Meloni to presume that he quit over money. Money is only one of the considerations in a contract, and for all we know, there was something that CM asked for that was not given to him, and that something may not have been about money. This man has always maintained a low-profile lifestyle, and we have never heard of him maintaining various houses on the West and East Coast or in other countries, like other Hollywood actors. Someone with a relatively low-maintenance lifestyle would surely not be as “greedy” as some people say he is.

Now that he’s leaving SVU, I am “leaving” it as well. For 12 years, Benson and Stabler have been the united heart and soul and face of SVU — without both of them there, it will never be the same again. The character of Elliot Stabler is already, in some ways, part of popular TV culture, and no one can deny that Christopher Meloni gave so much of himself to SVU with a rare dedication – Ice-T himself has already spoken of the 14-hour days that CM spends on the set of SVU, and that in essence, he and Mariska Hargitay “have no life” because of the long, long hours they have to put into shooting each episode. To say, therefore, that CM can be easily replaced is an insult to the commitment he gave SVU for 12 years. This is not a case where “no one is indispensable” or “half a loaf is better than none,” will apply, and such a philosophy is, ultimately, an insult to every actor or actress who invested so much of his / her talents in making a character come to life.

As far as I’m concerned, Christopher Meloni can never be replaced.

Comment by LTB – May 29, 2011 10:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. It might even be something like he wanted more time with his family… Said that he sees Mariska more than his own wife.

Comment by Andrea – June 1, 2011 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While I love Chris Meloni and am sad that he’s leaving, I have a suggestion for his replacement: Corey Stoll. He played TJ Jaruszalski on Law and Order LA, and could easily transfer into Special Victims, just like Rubirosa went from NY to LA!

He’s always been an understated presence on the show, and in the last few eps he really kicked ass (and took names)!

I know he’s not a BIG NAME ACTOR, but I never thought that was a great idea, at least not for the leads.

Comment by arjumand – May 30, 2011 02:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you about Corey Stoll as a replacement for Chris Meloni–I think he would be perfect! Please don’t hire that stupid Jennifer Love-Hewitt for ant reason–most talentless individual I have ever seen!

Hear that Mr wolf—hire Corey Stoll!

Comment by VTisc – June 25, 2011 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what about slater as a grt replacement .easy fit grt actor and undoubtable will have grt chemestry with the marsika

Comment by dstone – June 1, 2011 06:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • svu without stabler and limited benson-the last law and order is doomed. look what happened to law and order ci when donofrio and erbe left. rip to the wonderful la and order franchises. viva la reruns!!!!!

Comment by hayley – June 6, 2011 07:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Remenber Law and Order CI…they thought they could replace
    Vincent D”Onofrio and Kathryn Erbe…the show tanked….

Comment by samantha carter – June 7, 2011 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post