The CW's Fall Schedule: Sarah Michelle Gellar Back on Tuesdays, Nikita Makes Move

Annnnnd… the annual, whirlwind upfronts week begins winding down now with The CW’s announcement of its plan for the 2011-12 TV season.

The highlights: Sarah Michelle Gellar’s much-awaited return to television finds her on a very familiar night. Ringer will air 9/8c on Tuesdays, the same night Buffy the Vampire Slayer staked claim to during its run on CW predecessor The WB.

Sarah Michelle Gellar Reveals the Two Reasons Why She Has Returned to TV

As for The CW’s other scripted pick-ups, Hart of Dixie (starring The O.C.‘s Rachel Bilson) has been slotted for Mondays at 9 pm,  following Gossip Girl, effectively creating a night of TV exec-produced by Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage.

Similarly, The Secret Circle has predictably landed in the Thursdays-at-9 spot, after The Vampire Diaries — both shows are executive-produced by Kevin Williamson.

To make room for the newbies, 90210 is moving back to Tuesdays, airing before Ringer, while Nikita, as anticipated, will now kick ass on Fridays at 8 pm, leading into Supernatural. That means that Nikita will now air against NBC’s Chuck, while Supernatural will compete with Fox’s Fringe and the new NBC genre series Grimm.

One Tree Hill, though renewed for a 13-episode “farewell season,” will ride the pine until midseason, as will the new reality series The Frame and Re-Modeled.

All told, The CW’s fall plan looks like this; new series are in CAPS (click links for cast/details):

MONDAY

9 pm THE SECRET CIRCLE

FRIDAY
8 pm Nikita [new time slot]
9 pm Supernatural

NOT RETURNING FOR THE 2011-12 TV SEASON: Hellcats and Shedding for the Wedding

1. Serena says:

So no news whether or not this is OTH’s final season?

I would like it to have a Smallville type send off.

• Jason says:

Serena, you did not just ask that question. You did not just ask that question. You did not just ask that question.

Oh, yes she did. Most Obvious Answer in History of the World: YES!! YES, IT’S THE FRIGGIN FINAL SEASON. Good goobeldy-gook!!

• Serena says:

In my defense, this article SAYS NOTHING about it being the final season.

I didn’t find it anywhere that the CW announced it officially.

• Jamie says:

Serena, ignore the sarcasm.

On the press release The CW release One Tree Hill is listed as returning mid-season for it’s “farewell season”

• Serena says:

Thank you so much for clarifying it.
            Though I do wonder why that was omitted in this article, especially since it’s the first thing I check about my shows.

• Jamie says:

It’s listed now, for some reason it was added.

• AJ says:

Not sure why Jason deems it the most obvious answer in the world, but yes, per the CW’s statement, this will be the last season.

• Captain says:

It seems incredibly disrespectful that the CW didn’t make a formal announcement at the upfronts like they did with Smallville. One Tree Hill has been around for 9 years and has helped carry this network, they deserve the same promotion Smallville got. Unfortunately, I don’t expect that to happen.

• katie says:

They did. EW had an article where it said Dawn Ostroff talked about OTH’s last season at the upfronts.

• Andrew says:

KSite TV has posted the statement about the shows and it says “Midseason Brings the Return and Farewell Season of “One Tree Hill” so yeah, I love the show and I think it should have ended already so I’m glad they are getting a chance to end properly

• jfriz says:

It does say OTH “Farewell Season” That Means in all your ignorance people FINAL SEASON ..Doesn’t anyone read the Whole article instead of seeing what they want to see?

• Str says:

Jfriz, you need to chill and realize that the phrase “farewell season” was added after the post was first released.

• shelbyrbd says:

forget what that sarcastic person said yes it is the final season but i think its going to be 13 this season and then the other haof of the season will go till jan. 2012 for the finale!

2. J says:

Thanks for the update!

Fridays at nine is not a new time slot for Supernatural. It has been on Fridays at nine all this season.

3. Darius says:

Nikita is already on Fridays… and its their second season? Ugh. Hopefully this will work well for them.

• Adam says:

Uhh, you do realize there are 5 nights a week, not 4? Would you rather see static-snow on Fridays, or compelling drama? Your choice. Sheesh. Why are people so dumb?

• teej says:

Nikita aired this season on Thursdays at 9.

• AJ says:

I think what Darius is saying is that Nikita is already moving to Fridays. As in, it took years for Smallville & Supernatural to be “demoted” to Fridays and Nikita is already moving there in season 2. I don’t watch Nikita, but if I did, I’d say “Better Friday than cancled!”

• Geordiegirl1967 says:

Actually I don’t think Fridays are so much seen as a demotion now. Yes there is a lower total audience to go at, but ratings are still ratings, and new drama will get more of them than repeats. Why give up on the night entirely.

The success of SPNs move to Fridays seems to have caused a shift in the mindsets of TV executives. It showed how loyal the fans of genre shows can be (or possibly that we have no social lives ;-)), as SPNs ratings stood up well to the move. Now others are following this lead. Fringe was moved to Fridays this season. Now Grimm will also air at 9pm Fridays. Chuck is also a Friday show, but I’m not sure if this is a change of slot or not?

All this competition will have one of 2 effects. Either Fridays will become a stay-in-and-watch-TV night for genre fans, or the heavy competition for the same type of viewers will damage all the shows.

As an SPN fan I am not worried about Fringe. We shared the slot with them this year to no great detriment to our ratings, and they also got renewed. It has made me sort of hope Grimm doesn’t make it, but it would be even better if they all did well – demonstrating to TPTB that genre is a viable option.

• Tucker says:

In all fairness, it was the (relative) success of Smallville on Fridays that showed the network – and others – it was again a viable night for original programming.

• katie says:

Fridays aren’t bad on CW. The other networks are getting away from the Friday stigma as well. Especially since CW only has 5 nights of programming, they’ve got to put something on Fridays.

I think Nikita will do well there. It skews more male than most of CW’s shows, so it will do well paired with the male-skewing Supernatural as well.

• MDEP says:

This is actually good for me, since there is nothing else on Fridays at 8 that I want to watch. I could not fit Nikita in last season, as I already watched/DVR’ed 3 other shows on at that time. If I can catch up on season one somehow (for free :))and I like it, I will be adding this to my TV schedule next season. So see, they already added another viewer.

• M says:

It should work out a lot better than the Thursday at 9pm where they don’t have to comete against Greys and Bones.

• shel says:

On any other network, I would completely agree, but with the CW, I don’t see it as a bad sign for the show. Smallville was doing pretty well when it got moved to Friday nights, and both it and Supernatural have been consistently renewed on that night. So I’m hoping Nikita has the same luck and sticks around for quite awhile. :)

The only thing I’m unhappy about is Nikita and Chuck competing, since a) they have some of the same fan base and b)…well, which one will I watch first!? I love them both. ;)

4. Mairna says:

Just noticed that Ringer is in the death slot against Glee. Melrose Place, Life Unexpected and Hellcats… there’s a pattern here!

• Nate says:

Right, should’ve stuck it up against X-Factor or Idol, I guess. All other networks should just stop counterprogramming against shows you watch, Mairna.

• Melissa says:

Glee is on at 8pm on Tuesdays.

• teej says:

Glee airs at 8:00.
      the Ringer airs at 9:00.

• Rock Golf says:

I wouldn’t worry much about competition from Hellcats, since a) it was also on CW, b) it’s cancelled.

• Jason says:

Don’t know what you folks have against Tuesdays. Maybe the same thing you have against Fridays. Mind-boggling.

You do know that shows such as Buffy, Dawson’s Creek and Smallville started out of Tuesdays, don’t you? In fact, The WB used to bill the night as “New Tuesday,” a night of new ideas, new series. Now, you “experts” think no show will work on Tuesday? If you look at the opposing networks, Tuesday is the MOST PROMISING NIGHT available for CW shows. Oldies watch NCIS, tweens and idiots watch Glee, and losers watch The Biggest Loser. Would you rather launch a new show on Wed. or Thur. vs. X-Factor or Idol, just because YOU think they’re better nights? ha ha ha. Hoo-boy. The dumbing down of America begins right here.

• Sarah says:

I am neither old, a tween or a loser and I happen to watch all 3 of those shows thank you very much. I will however be giving Ringer a shot because of SMG.

• Allie says:

Jason, I really don’t appreciate how you are attacking everyone on this site. This is America where we have free speech! It is just a television site where people can express their opinions on television. It is not some literary site, so calm down. I want to come on this site to read nice people’s posts where they all respect each other and have different insights. Not someone who is insulting everyone else. SO STOP IT!

• JDHetherington says:

Why is there always someone like you who insults people who watch Glee on EVERY page? And to add to the insult you insulted the Biggest Loser and NCIS fans as well. TEENS and ADULTS watch both Glee, The Biggest Loser and NCIS so get your facts straight.

• Lucas says:

Glee is at 8 p.m., Ringer is at 9

5. Jamie says:

Supernatural has aired in the Friday 9 PM slot all this year, it’s not a new time slot.

6. teej says:

Gossip Girl’s in a new timeslot too.
    as is America’s Next Top Model.

7. timotey says:

Erm, why is there “new time slot” next to Supernatural? It’s been there for a year now…

• timotey says:

Also, between Supernatural and Fringe, I think Grimm will be the one butchered and dead before Christmas. Even though for me, the viewing schedule will be: 1. Supernatural, 2. Grimm, 3. Fringe.

• katie says:

Yeah, that’s a good point. All three of those shows have a similar vibe. I think Grimm will die also.

8. M... says:

So glad to to see Nikita coming back.

9. deedeedragons says:

90210 vs Glee ha! see ya West Bev.

• AJ says:

Based on typical CW ratings, 90210 should be fine. One Tree Hill was against Glee this year and has similar ratings as 90210.

• Snooki says:

See, there’s this thing called a DVR. Or a VHS. Or a com-poo-ter. They all allow people to watch (gasp!) more than one show in a timeslot. Hopefully this technology will make it into your world someday, Laura Ingalls Wilder.

Until then, maybe you could stop posting really ridiculous things.

10. Chmarin says:

The Monday/Tuesday schedule is baffling.

None of these shows are compatible. They should’ve had an all new Tuesday night with Ringer/Hart of Dixie and just leave GG and 90210 on Mondays. Those shows will drop below the 1 mil. mark by next spring. You just watch. The “glory days” of Gossip Girl (if there were ever such days) are over. Just cancel it already.

• katie says:

I agree with you. They should have tried Ringer and Hart of Dixie together. SMG is a big enough name to carry a night, and Rachel Bilson is pretty big as well.

I’d be fine with 90210 or GG being cancelled. I watched each for their first season, but stopped long ago. Way downhill.

11. Elle says:

I have to admit to watching most CW shows (90210,Gossip Girl,Vampire Diaries and Nikita) so will defos be tuning in for all the new ones.The Ringer is a big coup for the network and Hart Of Dixie could be the new WB-y show on the network (Hopefully it fares better than the other WB-y shows like Privileged,Reaper & Life Unexpected) and Secret Circle should keep most of Vamps audience.Could be a good season for them all in all!

12. Tavis says:

I predicted Ringer on Tuesdays at 9, Nikita to Fridays at 8, ANTM and H8R on Wednesdays, and Secret Circle on Thursdays. Sounds like the CW will be owning most of my week!

13. scooterbeanbag says:

You had me at Rachel Bilson…

14. Allie says:

No! Why does Nikita have to be at the same freaking time as chuck?!

• Marc says:

Well, we know Chuck has no future. Buy the DVD set after this season, and just watch Nikita live, if you want to help keep it on the air for years to come. Easy decision. Same decision many face on Thursdays, when we want to watch 3 different shows at the same time, all night long. Gotta choose the one you want to survive and watch it live. Then catch the others on DVR or repeats. (I watch the NBC comedies in reruns.)

• Jake says:

Totally agree with you! i love Chuck just as much as i love Nikita and have been watching since its first season but next season of Chuck guarenteed to be its last season so why not support Nikita so it could survive more than 2 seasons!

15. Jess says:

I’m super PSYCHED Nikita will be back next season! And I think the time slot change will benefit the show; it’s not fair that it had to go up against Grey’s Anatomy…nothing would survive that. But hopefully this will help to generate a bigger audience because the show definitely deserves it. Great story, writing, acting, production, etc. Really, THE best show on the network that’s not aimed toward a younger female demographic.

I’m wondering how SMG will do without Joss Whedon backing her, but I love her so I’ll give Ringer a shot. Aside from ANTM and Nikita, I’m not interested in anything else on the network…

16. Davi says:

I personally would’ve put Nikita with Ringer. They seem more compatible with each other than 90210 with Ringer. Let’s be honest, Ringer sounds like a great plot for a two hour movie, not a sustainable tv series. If it succeeds, a lot of that is going to rest on SMG’s sort of kick butt reputation and a prime time soap lead in isn’t going to provide that type of audience.

Of course the Supernatural audience would be a perfect fit for a Ringer group too, but as an aging series (still my favorite show, mind you, but I’m honest about their age) they’re not a good fit, and a Friday night slot isn’t a good launch point if they want Ringer to take off.

17. Stazz says:

Anyone know how the even measure ratings anymore? Are they still using those Nielson boxes? Do they take into account the number of people with DVR these days? Thursdays were my biggest night…watched Vampire Diaries, watched Grey’s DVR-ed Nikita, Real Housewives, Conan, etc. So, I’m just wondering how they even get ratings these days & if they somehow are able to get them via cable boxes, does the DVR-ed stuff count?

• Davi says:

I don’t know about their regular households (who have their viewing monitored all year), bur I do know that sweeps week Nielson households have their DVR recording and viewing tracked as well as their live. I was part of a sweeps group, and Their questions were very thorough on the subject.

So yes, those make an impact, but the problem is that when you record something, you can skip the ads and that kills the revenue stream for a show.

Online viewing is also important with the way that technology is going. Especially as a direct purchase of an episode gives direct revenue and viewing it on an authorized website allows a company to either ring the screen with commercials or force you to watch. Or, in the case of a Netflix, the company gets licensing fees from the Internet company hosting the file.

• M says:

I don’t think they count that much cause when you watch a DVR-ed episode, you skip the ads, and part of the importance of the ratings is to attrack advertisers..

• katie says:

I think the full ratings usually have live ratings, Live + DVR (watched on a DVR within 24 hours), and Live + 7 (watched on a DVR within 7 days). But, the ones watching live are the most important for advertisers still.

I don’t watch anything live anymore.

• Stazz says:

Thanks everyone! I was just curious. It makes sense though what everyone is saying about ratings & ads…didn’t think of that. They’re going to have to come up with a better way, I think, as the technology changes & peoples’ viewing habbits change with it. I know I LOVE my DVR…it gives me so much more freedom to do other things rather than being tied down to the TV when the shows I like to watch are on & it allows me to watch more shows & even check out ones that I may not have bothered with in the past because it was on the same time as something I already watched.

18. Sarah says:

Man, Thursdays at 9 are going to be brutal. Bones, Greys, Office, Person of Interest and now Kevin Williamson’s new show? I need to buy like 3 extra DVRs.

19. MJ says:

ANTM is in a bad spot for me. That’s why I haven’t watched the last few episodes this season. Same time slot as Modern Family & Cougar Town as well as Criminal Minds. I think ANTM just lost a viewer with me.

20. Jared says:

Not that I don’t think NIKITA can hold her own, but I’m upset they are moving it to Fridays. It’s as of they are saying they didn’t really want to bring it back…? That’s just my opinion. Though I do have complete faith because I have been a fan of MANY Friday night shows that have succeeded. (Las Vegas, SuperNanny, L&O:SVU)

• Alice says:

I’m surprised they didn’t pair Nikita and Ringer, but CW has had small, but consistent numbers, on it’s Friday night shows in the past (SPN, Smallville)- maybe they are counting on Nikita fans following the show to Fridays. And the network overall has a low bar for viewers in general, so I think Nikita is safe. Grimm, on the other hand- well, there are three supernatural detective shows airing at once, that’s spreading your target audience a little thin…

21. Valkrie says:

Where’d you come up with THAT convoluted reasoning? The CW always wanted Nikita back, and they respect it enough (as they did Smallville) to launch a very important night–Friday–in which they previously had no relevant presence. Trust me, The CW is thrilled at the success of their Friday dramas. It’s in NO WAY a demotion, like on other networks. Remember, the minds of CBS are involved in CW, and CBS does NOT waste nights of programming–including Friday, where they have had great success with Ghost Whisperer, Moonlight, Blue Blood, etc.

• katie says:

Yeah, you’re exactly right. CBS led the renaissance of Friday night programming, and the other networks are following. Friday was the death night for Fox, but Fringe has survived there. And NBC is launching new shows on Friday. It doesn’t have the stigma it had before. And CW has really been making Friday work lately.

22. Leo says:

90210 should’ve been canceled instead of Hellcats. HC started real bad (the main girl is terrible, but she did find her way mid-season) but some of the last episodes were very good and it could become promissing in a new season, so it would be worth the try. 90210 has been a big ol’ mess, I can’t believe it gets renewed again and again.

• melita says:

yeah hellcats should have been renewed though i hated marti
      i loved ashley tisdales character she was really shedding her disney shade
      she and matt barr where good too

• MDEP says:

I just watched the finale last night, and I was again so disappointed it was not renewed. Oh well, another one bits the dust.

• melita says:

i really think hellcats crashed after they changed the timeslot dont u think??
        i mean it was doing fairly well before that
        well cw ruined their own show :(

• katie says:

I think Hellcats crashed when it started taking itself too seriously. The main cheerleading plot was fun, but all the stuff with the conspiracies and the guy being wrongly convicted…that was too much for that show. I think it needed to be more of a fun, soapy, personal drama in the world of cheerleading, than them trying to uncover these big conspiracies.

23. Cara says:

Why put Hart of Dixie with Gossip Girl, a show that is getting only 1.4 million viewers? Bad lead in for a show you want to do well. Should have kept GG and 90210 together.

24. Tavis says:

I don’t like Nikita or Chuck, so I’ll have to find a new series to watch at 8 on Fridays before the highlight of my TV week, Supernatural.

25. Kate says:

The reason networks put shows on the same night with difference style audiences is so they can add to their viewer ship! Having GG and 90210 on the same night was an extremely stupid idea as they are the same type of show with attracts the same audience, if they want to bring in new viewers best way to do it is to put them on different nights alongside shows of a diff genre which amazing casts! So GG is now with Hart of Dixie the WB style new show starring Rachel Bilson which will attract alot of old WB and Ov fans, and 90210 is alongside Ringer starring SMG so will attract again alot of old WB fans and BTVS fans! Finally someone runnign this network who knows what they are doing! Good riddance to Dawn Offstorff!

26. Julie says:

I’m sad that Nikita has moved to Fridays this early, but hopefully this can only be a good thing. It has boded well for SPN when it got moved, so I’m hopeful. I would LOVED a pairing of Ringer/Nikita. 90210 can’t beat Glee or NCIS at the 8pm time slot. Ringer would have a better chance there at 8, followed by Nikita at 9.

27. Danielle says:

The only new show I’ll be sampling will be The Secret Circle. The Vampire Diaries is by and far the best thing this network has seen, and I’m an avid fan.
    I’m kind of disappointed with the network though because they keep canceling shows I actually watch i.e. Melrose Place, Hellcats.
    It’s not even necessarily because these shows do that much worse then the others on the network though; I really feel it’s because they only have 10 hours of programming to fill with their own a week, so they axe things to make room for something new each year.
    The CW needs to really look into expanding into the 10 o’clock hour.

28. Danny says:

This looks like a pretty promising schedule. The CW is fair and patient with their shows, and I believe they listen to the voices of their viewers. “Nikita” could be a solid fit for “Supernatural” on Fridays. The weekends have only become paltry on programming because the networks have abandoned Fridays and Saturdays. It’s nice to see that, after several years, they’re starting to get more aggressive. Give viewers a reason to stay and home, and/or DVR a show, and they will …

29. but... says:

Only 5 where CW airs new programming

30. David says:

Too bad One Tree Hill isn’t coming back until midseason. It really would have been better programmed with Hart of Dixie than Gossip Girl is.

31. PaulH says:

Every show that has aired after 90210 has been cancelled. Way to go, CW. SMG IS too freakin’ good for your pithy network. This reeked from minute one. Its timeslot is why Gellar should’ve bailed from Ringer the moment it was demoted from CBS.

One and done, sadly, for SMG.

32. genifer says:

ok, so my fridays will be… Chuck, (DVR Nikita)sorry, it´s Chuck´s last season… Fringe (DVR SUpernatural)… Love fringe more..

• sam says:

Poeple don’t make sense. It’s chucks last season, therefore, it’s ratings don’t matter so why not help nikita get renewed by watching nikita and dvr chuck or buy the season at the end. If you like both shows it’s a no-brainer…. people should be watching Nikita or people will cry when chuck and nikita are both gone the season after.

33. M says:

I’m not from the US so I don’t have the CW and have to watch all of those shows on different Canadian networks… but i’ve been wondering.. why don’t the CW air any show on Sunday night? Well at least according to the schedule above.. Wouldn’t Sunday be better than Friday? I’m still gonna watch Nikita the same way I used to, on ctv.ca but if I had the CW, I would definitely DVR a show that airs on Friday because well, I wouldn’t want to sit in front of my TV every Friday night..

34. Patchi says:

I’m so happy Nikita got picked up for a second season but this move to Fridays not a good idea. I thought Fridays was the time slot for doomed shows, it’s only their second season.

35. TLG says:

If Nikita was on Fox I’d be in mourning for the show, but seeing how CW was comfortable with Smallville’s lesser numbers of its last few seasons, I’m kinda glad – it means they’ll keep on letting the producers do whatever the heck they want. The Death Slot curse doesn’t seem to affect CW as much as other networks, probably since they learned to make money off syndication and DVD rather than just ratings. Along with Fringe on Fox, that makes two awesome show to look forward to on Friday night.

36. lolo says:

they put nikita against chuck ??? are they insane , lots of people love both shows , and we know chuck is the one that’s gonna win , WOW , BRAVO CW ,YOU JUST KILLED NIKITA .

• katie says:

Well, this is Chuck’s final season, so that isn’t much of an issue. And Chuck has never been a powerhouse in the ratings…so I don’t think it will hurt Nikita much.

37. Samantha says:

Yay for Ringer! I think its great that its on Tuesday night because it may stand a chance after all. I hope all turns out well for the show and SMG!

38. Danielle says:

I think it would be a good idea to list updates at the bottom of the article (or somehow clearly mark them) to avoid confusion. There was some unwarranted sarcasm and hostility towards early commenters that could have easily been avoided that way.

39. WhitneyL says:

I love NIKITA < 3 I think the CW moved it to Friday only to make room for a lead in from tvd for the secret circle but from looking at smallville / spn 's ratings friday is def not a death slot for CW shows , i really hope this show can survive many seasons : )

40. Girish Winchester says:

Ringer, Hart Of Dixie & Secret Circle are the new shows I’ll be watching this fall, along with SUPERNATURAL & Vampire Diaries. I love Fringe, and Grimm seems interesting, but if its against Supernatural, the obvious choice is Spnl!

41. Gabriella says:

I cant watch the ringer on tuesdays at 9 cause its the same night as the nine lives of chloe king on abcfamily……. i guess ill watch it online ;) i love my week days schedule: mondays its switched at birth, tuesdays its pretty little liars and the nine lives of chloe king, and wednesdays is criminal minds, and now thursdays bones.

42. Caleb says:

Yeah, but what do you think of the new CW lineup??????????

43. Allie says:

I am very impressed with this schedule! They picked interesting shows that have great stars in them. All four of their new shows are very different, and I think that is a good thing. I would have paired the shows a little differently, but I think the CW will have a lot of success this season. I will be watching GG, Hart of Dixie, Ringer, Vampire Diaries, Secret Circle, Nikita and Supernatural. I will try H8R, it looks sort of funny, and I will watch 90210 if time allows, but it probably won’t because I will start student teaching. Anyways, kudos to the new chief of the CW!