Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to What's New!

The networks have unveiled their lineups for the 2011-12 TV season, and this is your “snapshot” guide to all of the shiny and new dramas, comedies and (not too many) reality series that will be coming your way. (For the short-term memory-deficient, cancellations can be found here.)

Flip through this alphabetical slideshow — fall premieres are first, followed by a section of “Midseason” shows — and start planning your viewing. This night-by-night broadcast grid shows you what’s on against what, while our Printable Day-By-Day Calendar of the fall’s big debuts can be found here.

What’s good for fall? TVLine’s “First Impressions” of several freshman shows can be found here.

1. mandy says:

So excited to see the New Girl picked up. I think it will be pretty funny!

2. Cari says:

Aw, I hope Saffron Burrows stays on The Finder. Her dynamic with Geoff Stults and Michael Clarke Duncan was fantastic.

• Barbara says:

I liked saffronon L&O but not on Finder so much…I know she’s British but her accent was too much and she spoke too fast to understand. Character was tooooo slick.

3. Sara says:

I liked Saffron Burrows but her accent was terrible. If they can find a way to write it out of the story… :)

I can’t wait to see The New Girl, as I love Zooey. But I don’t want Happy Endings canceled so Damon Wayans Jr can be on it!

• Pat says:

I saw her on Bones and the fake cockney she put on, on that was soooo annoying, I had to put it on mute every time she appeared. I don’t know why American directors think that we only speak with such a ridiculous accent, even Londoners, where the cockneys live, don’t speak like that, and the rest of us in other parts of England most certainly don’t.

4. George says:

I didn’t watch any of the cancelled shows on FOX (the only shows on that newtwork I currently watch are AI, Glee, and Raising Hope), and to be honest none of the dramas sound all that good to me. However, I’m looking forward to both of the new comedies. I’m especially looking forward to “I Hate My Teenage Daughter.” I was a HUGE fan of Eric Sheffer Stevens during his time on ATWT, and as soon as I heard he had got a pilot, I said if it got picked up I’m in!

5. Daniel says:

I really like the idea of watching Zooey every week, as long as Damon wayans Jr. continues on ABC!

6. GimplyGump says:

I’ll try,

Alcatraz
    The Finder
    Terra Nova

The one I look most forward to is Terra Nova

7. Anna says:

Finder for me.

• melita says:

finder may have been weak but im sure it will improve
      its hart hanson we are talking about
      he may be an ass but he gave us bones :)

• Jen says:

Technically Kathy Reichs gave us Bones, so….yeah. Finder isn’t doing it for me.

• Mikos says:

The books are quite different in a boatload of ways. But then again, Finder ain’t doing it for me either.

The two sidekicks were fine, but the main guy needed to be less serious. There was some good stuff with how paranoid he is but it shoulda been played for more laughs.

8. Amanda says:

Why bother?! 98% of them will be cancelled after 6 or fewer episodes especially if they are on Fox!!!

• muir says:

I’m betting Terra Nova will be cancelled before the first season is over. I’ll probably watch it anyway, though, since I clearly must hate myself when it comes to television. /sigh

• mandy says:

I am a little nervous to watch any of the Fox shows as well. I have had such bad luck with them in the past. I hate really getting into a show to have it canceled quickly! Need I say Firefly :(

• Leah says:

Hey, They’ve kept fringe longer than I ever thought possible and it keeps getting better!

The finder will FAIL.

9. Brandon says:

I’m looking forward to Terra Nova and Alcatraz. Excellent casting and the stories sound great.

10. Kate says:

I think I will try

Alcatraz
    I Hate My Teenage Daughter
    The New Girl

Defo hoping the X Factor fails, Ive gotten fed up with Simon and Cheryl over here just caring about their image and careers, i dont want to have hear about them all over my favorite websites as well!

11. Ashley says:

I’ll give “The New Girl” a try since I like Zooey. There’s no way I’m watching “The X Factor”, but I’ll need more information on the other ones before I make up my mind about them.

12. Marbles the Moocher says:

I’ll check out Alcatraz, The New Girl, I Hate My Teenage Daughter, and Terra Nova. Bones is just another version of CSI to me so I don’t think I’ll like Finder, but if word of mouth is good I may check it out. I probably won’t have time for Dancing w/ the Stars or X-Factor.

13. Mafalda says:

I’ll watch Alcatraz and The New Girl. One comedy and one drama is good for me.

14. Boiler says:

Nothing!!!!!! On my way to no TV with cancellations as they are

15. bmospr04 says:

besides the new girl, it looks pretty weak

16. Dennis says:

Nothing here sounds as it will grab me as a viewer.

17. jacob says:

Alcatraz(J.J Abrams has the best shows on tv in my opinion), the new girl, and terra nova
    I’ll watch X-factor once since American Idol sucks with Simon, but I can only stand one singing contest at a time and the voice has really impressed me, hopefully the can replace carson daly

18. Daniel says:

I guess Will Arnett won’t be taking over Steve Carell on The Office

19. ElsieM says:

No The Event… no me. Bye-bye NBC.

20. Michelle says:

Since Lie to Me is gone, I’ll find better pursuits than investing time in any new Fox shows. Fringe is it, period.

21. MG says:

Jason O’Mara once again playing a man in crisis who time travels?

22. Murph says:

“Whitney” was the most fun read of any pilot script this season. I’m so glad it got picked up!

23. Jeff says:

I’m in for Terra Nova and Alcatraz. Not sure about the others yet.

24. ziggy says:

Maria Bello is a superb actress and I’m looking forward to Prime Suspects.

The Finder sounds really lame and will most likely be cancelled within weeks of its premiere.

Up All Night sounds great…I’ll follow Christina Applegate anywhere!

• ecm says:

Prime Suspects – I’d rather watch the original with Helen Mirren. It looks a lot better. You would think NBC would have learned not to re-do a British show, after the American version of “Coupling” failed.

25. Adrienne says:

Can’t wait for Alcatraz!

26. Maggie says:

They all look good to me except Terra Nova. Prime Suspect is iffy – I just really like Charlie from “Fringe”! He’s the only reason I’d tune in and give it a shot. So hard to give new shows a shot when the networks cancel them so fast though. Sucks.

27. I am excited for the new Rob Thomas series. He can do no wrong, in my opinion. If successful, perhaps Warner would reconsider the Veronica Mars feature film.

28. O says:

I might watch Up All Night.
    FOX should have kept Lie to Me instead of this many new shows.

29. Tobi says:

Can’t bring myself to give anything else on FOX a chance. They’ve broken my heart too much!

I’ll be giving “Falling Skies” a chance, it wasn’t listed here.

30. Megan says:

If Up All Night happens and actually works I might literally explode. Love them!

31. Alex says:

Looking forward to seeing BD on R.E.M./Awake.

32. Girish Winchester says:

Alcatraz, Terra Nova & The New Girl are the ones I’ll be watching.

33. Tamara says:

I don’t like any of new shows. Fox & NBC screwed me again this year. Last year, it was HEROES. This year it’s BreakingIn, Wonder Woman & Help Wanted

34. Edge says:

Awake sounds similar to Journeyman and Life on Mars, which means that I’ll get hooked on it and then it will be cancelled within two months.

35. Diana De León says:

CBS doesn’t have new series.

36. Romain says:

Definitely watching at least the pilot episode:
    Apartment 23

Once Upon a Time
    Person of Interest
    Prime Suspect
    The River
    Suburgatory

37. Roger says:

FEEDBACK: I hate all the slideshows. I really just want to see the list of shows. Just FYI. :-)

38. yoho says:

Once Upon a Time ABC
    Charlie’s Angels ABC
    Alcatraz FOX
    Terra Nova FOX
    Grimm NBC
    Awake NBC
    Ringer CW

Are the ones I’ll be watching so far

39. Paul says:

i’ll try:
    terra nova
    ringe
    alcatraz
    hey vodka…chelsea
    the new girl (i’m IN LOVE with zooey deschanel)
    i hate my teenage daughter
    and maybe 2 more…
    def not watching the X factor.

40. Pia says:

Going to give the follow a try:

Alcatraz
    Awake
    Finder
    Grimm
    Once Upon A Time
    Person of Interest
    Ringer
    The New Girl
    and maaaaaybe The X Factor so far :)

41. Drew says:

so georgetown wasn’t picked up by abc?

42. sam says:

some of these look really great! in specific:

GRIMM (NBC) and ONCE UPON A TIME (ABC), because I totally dig the whole modern-day/fairytale fusion they both have going on. The storylines are way cool, and both shows’ casts look promising as well (like ginnifer in ONCE UPON A TIME, she’s just adorable, and the lead on GRIMM sure is easy on the eyes!)

ALCATRAZ (FOX), because even though I’m a little skeptical about anything of jj abrahms (after the wild goose chase that was LOST), I think the cast looks great and the plot is fresh and intriguing. hope the plot stays on course.

THE NEW GIRL (FOX), because zooey deschanel is so cute and endearing and funny and loveable and just all-around amazing, and there’s no way that a show with her in it could be anything less than totally awesome. (not to mention that I love the whole ‘unlucky-in-love girl who moves in with three guys’ plot, and would prob watch the show even if she weren’t in it)

AWAKE (NBC), because the whole concept is just cool and kind of psychologically unnerving, which is neat. (although, it could get boring in a hurry if it’s just some guy meddling along, living two simultaneous lives and hopping between them.. we’ll see, hopefully not.)

RINGER (CW), because, gotta be honest here, I’m not too sure about the plot, but I am DYING to see sarah michelle gellar back on TV! I was a huge BTVS fan, so with SMG in it, I figure why not give the show a try!

43. sam says:

oh, and also: GOOD CHRISTIAN BELLES (ABC), because I love desperate housewives / primetime soaps, and kristin chenoweth is a favorite of mine!

44. Phileo says:

All I want (as of right now) from these pilots are “Ringer”, “Alcatraz”, “Terra Nova”, “The Firm”, “Smash”, and “Person of Interest”.

45. hello says:

Once upon a time ABC

46. Jen says:

So far I’m only really intrigued by Alcatraz and The New Girl. (If I’m being honest, that’s just because of Zooey. Minus Zooey, the plot sounds too “eh” for me.)

I might be into the fairy tale adaptations, but I’m skeptical right now. Those seem to be all the rage these days, but I’ve yet to see one really work out.

47. Brandon Rowe says:

Not decided on how many of these I’ll watch but thanks for putting this together. It puts everything on a clear list for me. Definitely makes my decision to watch or not a lot easier.

48. Ashley says:

I usually try to catch at least the pilots of most of the new shows except for laugh track 30 min comedies, there haven’t been many good ones in a LONG time. (Except for How I Met Your Mother).

But, the ones I’m really excited for are:

Ringer (SMG back to TV, I’d watch her paint a wall probably).
    New Girl (LOVE Zooey and the upfront promo was really good).
    Terra Nova (I wasn’t that impressed until I saw the upfront promo. I’m so in, which probably means it’ll be cancelled).
    Smash (Loved Debra Messing on Will and Grace but hated the Starter Wife).
    Up All Night (Applegate, Rudolf and Arnett? Dream come true!)

I love Kristen Chenowith but something about “Good Christian Belles” really doesn’t appeal to me.

49. Lex says:

Definitely trying the pilots for:
    Alcatraz
    The Finder (although I’m iffy on this because I didn’t like the Bones pilot that much)
    New Girl
    Once Upon a Time
    Grimm
    Terra Nova
    Person of Interest (I love Emerson)

• Lex says:

also, just wanted to point out that I seriously love the Modern Family “for your consideration” ads that are running on this site :D

50. Babygate says:

“Work it”. Really ABC? A remake of “Bosom Buddies”? Not even Tom Hanks could salvage that one.