Exclusive: Hawaii Five-0 Promotes Masi Oka

SPOILER ALERT: The pivotal character getting whacked in Monday night’s Hawaii Five-0 season finale is… not Max!

I know this because sources confirm to TVLine exclusively that Masi Oka — who began recurring on H5-0 as the socially awkward coroner in October  — will be returning next season as a full-fledged series regular.

This marks Oka’s first full-time series gig since Heroes was put out to pasture by NBC in 2010.

The Eye network has yet to formally renew Five-0 for a second season, but a pickup is seen as a foregone conclusion.

Comments (44)

• I hope this means we will see the same high level of writing as we saw on Heros. At least they realized that they needed a some one to write a comic strip for the wooden actors. This show needs lots of help.

Comment by zaper – May 16, 2011 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • High level of writing on Heros?…i must have watched a different show by that name. :)

Comment by NickC – May 17, 2011 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome. :D His character is so quirky & fun.

Comment by Jenny – May 16, 2011 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stopped watching this show after the 5th episode.

Comment by alex – May 16, 2011 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yet you still felt compelled to comment

Comment by jules – May 16, 2011 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I stopped reading your comment after the fifth word.

Comment by talisker – May 16, 2011 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • then how did you know to use fifth?

(i’m totally on your side btw. just being annoying and its late. i’m sorry lol)

Comment by gare – May 17, 2011 03:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s nice to play the devils advocate, when its obvious that you are a
      regular viewer of Hawaii 5-0.

Comment by bobbi – May 16, 2011 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No, more like troll than devil’s advocate.

Comment by Bob – May 17, 2011 06:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The husband finally saw the show, the next to the last episode. He told me to tape it for him, after this. I’ve seen them all, some good and some so-so. But it is always getting better. It will be more fun, watching it with him. I do lament The Defenders, Chaos, 187 Detroit, and The Human Target, though. I hope USA Network picks them up. They are all really great! Maybe they are mature gal shows. Hey, suits, we buy stuff, too. It’s not just the 18-39 that buy stuff.

Comment by prish – May 16, 2011 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yatta!!!

Comment by Joe – May 16, 2011 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • After last weeks episode, my money is on Danno’ s ex getting killed. There was too much foreshadowing in that scene where she was driving away and kept looking back at him.

Comment by calypsobard – May 16, 2011 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • At first I thought it was Kono, now I think you may be right. I Guess we’ll find out later tonight

Comment by Cathie – May 16, 2011 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If not Dano’s wife, then Dano’s wife’s new husband.
      But if it were Dano’s wife, wouldn’t that make a great subplot. Dano & McGarrett raising a baby together? She’d have two daddies.

Comment by n – May 16, 2011 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Her or Kamekona(the snow cone guy).

Comment by Amanda – May 16, 2011 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it’s looking bad for Kono. They already have an extra female to step in as Team Chick and now we know it’s not Max. Can’t be McGarrett or Danno and it better not be Chin Ho.
    Aloha Kono!

Comment by Denise – May 16, 2011 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Have only watched a few times. Who is the extra female? Thanks.

Comment by Steve T – May 16, 2011 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That short-haired analyst, she’s was in an ep a bit ago and just came back last episode. She seems eager to help.

Comment by Denise – May 16, 2011 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Maybe she’s the one getting axed, just like Bones whacked the most popular squint.

Comment by Bob – May 17, 2011 06:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t really care about his character, but I’m so excited about next season. I don’t know what I’m going to do during the summer!

Comment by Kira – May 16, 2011 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree calypsobard about it being Danno’s ex-wife. The only other one I love it the big guy, I can never remember his name. He makes me laugh a lot.

Comment by Raechel – May 16, 2011 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great for Masi Oka! I was really upset with the fact that when James Kyson-Lee guest stared in an episode of Hawaii Five-O some weeks ago, the writers didn’t put James Kyson-Lee and Masi Oka in the same scene, it would of been awesome to have those two interacting with each other again! Even for a second, but they never met in the episode. =(

Comment by Paul – May 16, 2011 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Would HAVE, Paul. Would HAVE. It’s never “would OF.” Ugh.

Comment by Jack – May 16, 2011 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope it is Kono or Rebecca (or Grace). I love Grace Park and think Kono is one of the best characters, and it would be horrible for Danno to lose his ex-wife (girlfriend) or daughter. I honestly cannot think of anyone except the Hawaiian dude who helps them out/watches Grace who we could lose. Although I am not a fan of the new CIA lady, I’m pretty sure they are keeping her.

Comment by Mikaylah – May 16, 2011 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Masi Oka was working on a new series on SyFy called “The Collectors”? I’m guessing that’s not going to happen now?

Comment by Mac – May 16, 2011 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually, it’s called “The Correctors” (dimension-hopping special agents who stop things from happening), and they only did a pilot script so far.

Comment by Bob – May 17, 2011 06:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I saw the pilot kind liked it but didnt have room to watch it, ive always liked Masi Oka, thinking about getting back into the show. Any suggestions?

Comment by Kyle – May 16, 2011 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d recommend it. Very good show.

Comment by rodg12 – May 16, 2011 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He’ll always be Franklyn to me!

Comment by Michael – May 16, 2011 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Janitor: “Five letters…a ‘blank’ in one’s armor.”
      JD: “Chink.”
      (Franklin overhears, stands with mouth agape)
      JD: “Oh, Franklin no!”

I miss Scrubs.

Comment by John – May 16, 2011 10:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope it NOT Kono. Could be the Governor, but it’s only because of her that 5-O exists anyway, if she dies how will they keep it going. They could wipe out the CIA lady. Masi Oka is a joke, why have him on the show at all!!

Comment by Danny – May 16, 2011 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He’s a great addition! I’m glad he’s staying around.

If they kill Kono….I will be very upset. Though its probably going to be Rachel.

I hope Jenna stays around too – or even better yet, bring back Mary, Steve’s sister.

If Jenna does stick around I really hope they dont do the whole Steve/Jenna romance thing….that would be unfortunate.

Comment by pv – May 16, 2011 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s the CIA chick!!!!

Stop whining about Kono, she’s not going anywhere!

Also very happy that Max is now a regular. Watching him and Danno interact is hilarious.

Comment by Kvivik – May 16, 2011 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m only a casual watcher of the show but happy that Masi got a full time gig on H-5-0 and another Heroes star Greg Grunberg just got his own show on A&E called Big Mike. It’s great to see anyone get out from under NBC’s corrupt, incompetent thumb.

Comment by redvector – May 16, 2011 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I say the person who gets whacked is the Governor. She’s a pivotal character because without her there is no 5-O. Sounds to me like she dies and they are forced to disband. I am sure something will happen and 5-O will come back again.

If not the Governor, then please let it be that annoying analyst girl. Being the first season, I don’t think they can kill off one of the four leads. Wo Fat won’t be dying because they said he’s a series long bad guy (which being a Mark Dacascos fan is exciting).

I wouldn’t mind seeing the ex die either but it seems like a “why make me start to like her and then kill her off?” It would be a waste.

Comment by Scott – May 16, 2011 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So excited we get to see more of Masi Oka and his character Max.
    As far as the death I believe it has something to do with either Steves sister or the Governor (who is a BIG Five-0 supporter)

Comment by Tracey – May 16, 2011 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think there will be more than one charcter killed off in the season finale. One for them I think will be Kelly Hu’s and the other is Taylor Wily’s “Kamekona”.I think that CBS is good at throwing up some misdirects about who will be killed but I don’t think it will be Grace Park’s character or Jean Smart’s.

Comment by Robert – May 16, 2011 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watching the preview last week it was far too obvious. The Governor is toast. It’s the only way that 5.0 would be dispanding and at the same time McGarrett could be seemingly headed to jail. Without her the rules change completely. And they were talking about making “CIA Chick” a regular next year as well so that would make no sense. Danny’s ex is not a major player. Nuff said. Governor is going to toe tag heaven with her picture in the paper on the front side.

Comment by boynotorious – May 16, 2011 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know that Kelly Hu’s character dies tonight…not sure if there are any other deaths.

Comment by iknow – May 16, 2011 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Brian Yang’s Charlie Fong becomes a series regular as Kono’s love interest next season!

Comment by Keith – May 16, 2011 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love him! H5O is predictabe but great eye candy! Love Alex, Scott and Daniel. Masi is always great in anything!

Comment by Goat Girl – May 16, 2011 05:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m sure you saw that finale coming.

Comment by Damian – May 18, 2011 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well done!

Comment by Rob – May 16, 2011 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In depth and fabulous acting and writing for the season finale. Glad the viewers are left with several cliff hangers. Never expected the Governor!

Comment by Maryann – May 17, 2011 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post