Exclusive

Exclusive: Hawaii Five-0 Promotes Masi Oka

SPOILER ALERT: The pivotal character getting whacked in Monday night’s Hawaii Five-0 season finale is… not Max!

I know this because sources confirm to TVLine exclusively that Masi Oka — who began recurring on H5-0 as the socially awkward coroner in October  — will be returning next season as a full-fledged series regular.

This marks Oka’s first full-time series gig since Heroes was put out to pasture by NBC in 2010.

The Eye network has yet to formally renew Five-0 for a second season, but a pickup is seen as a foregone conclusion.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Exclusive, Finales, News, Scoop, Spoilers

1. zaper says:

I hope this means we will see the same high level of writing as we saw on Heros. At least they realized that they needed a some one to write a comic strip for the wooden actors. This show needs lots of help.

2. Jenny says:

Awesome. :D His character is so quirky & fun.

3. alex says:

Stopped watching this show after the 5th episode.

• jules says:

yet you still felt compelled to comment

• talisker says:

I stopped reading your comment after the fifth word.

• gare says:

then how did you know to use fifth?

(i’m totally on your side btw. just being annoying and its late. i’m sorry lol)

• bobbi says:

It’s nice to play the devils advocate, when its obvious that you are a
      regular viewer of Hawaii 5-0.

• prish says:

The husband finally saw the show, the next to the last episode. He told me to tape it for him, after this. I’ve seen them all, some good and some so-so. But it is always getting better. It will be more fun, watching it with him. I do lament The Defenders, Chaos, 187 Detroit, and The Human Target, though. I hope USA Network picks them up. They are all really great! Maybe they are mature gal shows. Hey, suits, we buy stuff, too. It’s not just the 18-39 that buy stuff.

4. Joe says:

Yatta!!!

5. calypsobard says:

After last weeks episode, my money is on Danno’ s ex getting killed. There was too much foreshadowing in that scene where she was driving away and kept looking back at him.

• Cathie says:

At first I thought it was Kono, now I think you may be right. I Guess we’ll find out later tonight

• n says:

If not Dano’s wife, then Dano’s wife’s new husband.
      But if it were Dano’s wife, wouldn’t that make a great subplot. Dano & McGarrett raising a baby together? She’d have two daddies.

• Amanda says:

Her or Kamekona(the snow cone guy).

6. Denise says:

I think it’s looking bad for Kono. They already have an extra female to step in as Team Chick and now we know it’s not Max. Can’t be McGarrett or Danno and it better not be Chin Ho.
    Aloha Kono!

7. Kira says:

I don’t really care about his character, but I’m so excited about next season. I don’t know what I’m going to do during the summer!

8. Raechel says:

I agree calypsobard about it being Danno’s ex-wife. The only other one I love it the big guy, I can never remember his name. He makes me laugh a lot.

9. Paul says:

Great for Masi Oka! I was really upset with the fact that when James Kyson-Lee guest stared in an episode of Hawaii Five-O some weeks ago, the writers didn’t put James Kyson-Lee and Masi Oka in the same scene, it would of been awesome to have those two interacting with each other again! Even for a second, but they never met in the episode. =(

10. Jack says:

Would HAVE, Paul. Would HAVE. It’s never “would OF.” Ugh.

11. Mikaylah says:

I hope it is Kono or Rebecca (or Grace). I love Grace Park and think Kono is one of the best characters, and it would be horrible for Danno to lose his ex-wife (girlfriend) or daughter. I honestly cannot think of anyone except the Hawaiian dude who helps them out/watches Grace who we could lose. Although I am not a fan of the new CIA lady, I’m pretty sure they are keeping her.

12. Mac says:

I thought Masi Oka was working on a new series on SyFy called “The Collectors”? I’m guessing that’s not going to happen now?

• Bob says:

Actually, it’s called “The Correctors” (dimension-hopping special agents who stop things from happening), and they only did a pilot script so far.

13. Kyle says:

I saw the pilot kind liked it but didnt have room to watch it, ive always liked Masi Oka, thinking about getting back into the show. Any suggestions?

14. Michael says:

He’ll always be Franklyn to me!

• John says:

Janitor: “Five letters…a ‘blank’ in one’s armor.”
      JD: “Chink.”
      (Franklin overhears, stands with mouth agape)
      JD: “Oh, Franklin no!”

I miss Scrubs.

15. Danny says:

I hope it NOT Kono. Could be the Governor, but it’s only because of her that 5-O exists anyway, if she dies how will they keep it going. They could wipe out the CIA lady. Masi Oka is a joke, why have him on the show at all!!

16. pv says:

He’s a great addition! I’m glad he’s staying around.

If they kill Kono….I will be very upset. Though its probably going to be Rachel.

I hope Jenna stays around too – or even better yet, bring back Mary, Steve’s sister.

If Jenna does stick around I really hope they dont do the whole Steve/Jenna romance thing….that would be unfortunate.

• Kvivik says:

It’s the CIA chick!!!!

Stop whining about Kono, she’s not going anywhere!

Also very happy that Max is now a regular. Watching him and Danno interact is hilarious.

17. redvector says:

I’m only a casual watcher of the show but happy that Masi got a full time gig on H-5-0 and another Heroes star Greg Grunberg just got his own show on A&E called Big Mike. It’s great to see anyone get out from under NBC’s corrupt, incompetent thumb.

18. Scott says:

I say the person who gets whacked is the Governor. She’s a pivotal character because without her there is no 5-O. Sounds to me like she dies and they are forced to disband. I am sure something will happen and 5-O will come back again.

If not the Governor, then please let it be that annoying analyst girl. Being the first season, I don’t think they can kill off one of the four leads. Wo Fat won’t be dying because they said he’s a series long bad guy (which being a Mark Dacascos fan is exciting).

I wouldn’t mind seeing the ex die either but it seems like a “why make me start to like her and then kill her off?” It would be a waste.

19. Tracey says:

So excited we get to see more of Masi Oka and his character Max.
    As far as the death I believe it has something to do with either Steves sister or the Governor (who is a BIG Five-0 supporter)

20. Robert says:

I think there will be more than one charcter killed off in the season finale. One for them I think will be Kelly Hu’s and the other is Taylor Wily’s “Kamekona”.I think that CBS is good at throwing up some misdirects about who will be killed but I don’t think it will be Grace Park’s character or Jean Smart’s.

21. boynotorious says:

Watching the preview last week it was far too obvious. The Governor is toast. It’s the only way that 5.0 would be dispanding and at the same time McGarrett could be seemingly headed to jail. Without her the rules change completely. And they were talking about making “CIA Chick” a regular next year as well so that would make no sense. Danny’s ex is not a major player. Nuff said. Governor is going to toe tag heaven with her picture in the paper on the front side.

22. iknow says:

I know that Kelly Hu’s character dies tonight…not sure if there are any other deaths.

23. Keith says:

I hope Brian Yang’s Charlie Fong becomes a series regular as Kono’s love interest next season!

24. Goat Girl says:

Love him! H5O is predictabe but great eye candy! Love Alex, Scott and Daniel. Masi is always great in anything!

25. Rob says:

Well done!

26. Maryann says:

In depth and fabulous acting and writing for the season finale. Glad the viewers are left with several cliff hangers. Never expected the Governor!