Ashton Kutcher Confirms Two and a Half Men Gig, But Insists 'I Can't Replace Charlie Sheen'

CBS is officially confirming that Ashton Kutcher has finalized a deal to replace Charlie Sheen on Two and a Half Men — a suggestion that was first proposed on this site three months ago.

Sure he was one of a half-dozen names we floated, but we still deserve props, dammit!

The Kutcher news comes two days after Deadline.com reported that Hugh Grant rejected a lucrative offer to join CBS’ No. 1 sitcom.

“I can’t wait to get to work with this ridiculously talented 2.5 team and I believe we can fill the stage with laughter that will echo in viewers’ homes,” said Kutcher in a statement. “I can’t replace Charlie Sheen but I’m going to work my ass off to entertain the hell out of people!”

We are so lucky to have someone as talented, joyful and just plain remarkable as Ashton joining our family,” enthused Men creator Chuck Lorre. “Added to that is the deep sigh of relief knowing that our family stays together.  If I was any happier, it’d be illegal.”

This marks Kutcher’s first series gig since That ’70s Show went off the air in 2006. Details regarding his Men character have not been disclosed. Chances are CBS is holding that piece of news until upfront day on May 18.

What does Sheen have to say about all this? “Kutcher is a sweetheart and a brilliant comedic performer … Oh wait, so am I!”
 he cracked to TMZ, before adding, “Enjoy the show America. Enjoy seeing a 2.0 in the demo every Monday, [Warner Bros.].”

Thoughts? Has Men traded up… or down?

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, News, Scoop

1. So if Ashton Kutcher marries Alan and Charlie’s mother on Two and a Half Men, it would be like life imitating art…

• jon says:

HA! Thumbs up.

• yaboibrandon says:

Boi shut the hell up and get a life

• Seth says:

The dude iz an A-Lister in Hollywood, most actors aren’t even on that level….2 million an episode, w/ the show’s main character named after him, and the show bein’ the #1 comedy in prime-time tv…. You gotta get the life apparently LOL ^_^

• Danny Las Vegas says:

A.K. is being paid $625K per episode, not $2M. Still a s**t load of dough, but a far cry from what they were paying C.S.

• Seth says:

Show’s main character named after him and the show bein’ the #1 comedy in prime-time tv. He HITZ hiz linez and doez what iz need 2 b done!!! #1 Comedy on Prime-time tv for a REASON!!! Ashton Kutcher mite do decent but i’m not really gonna watch it.

• DD says:

Yes, well I agree that Two and a Half Men was great with Charlie and Ashton will NOT CUT IT, OK !

I mean the writer makes a show about Charlie based on his life and then he fires Charlie because of his life? Huh?

I WILL NOT BE WATCHING Ashton !!!

• Travelocity Gnome says:

Haha :D Good one :)

• maggie says:

Yeah, because a man in his 30’s married to a woman in her 40’s is exactly the same as a man in his 30’s married to a 68-year-old woman. 8-)

BTW, you should have written “art imitating life.”

• FlowerPower says:

Demi is almost 50 so not that far of a stretch, besides, it would be art “imitating” life, not copying it exactly. Gotta give “Ryan” credit for even thinking of that.

• Lois says:

Demi Moore is 48 and Holland Taylor is 68. So it’s a HUGE stretch to equate one to the other.
          Ryan wrote “life imitating art” so maggie is correct that he got it backwards.

• Rose says:

A 20 year difference isn’t that far of a stretch?
          Demi is only 15 years older than Ashton, but Charlie’s mother (Holland Taylor) is 35 years older. That’s a pretty big stretch.

• Mr. Furley says:

I don’t even want to think of all those stretches….:-O

• sam says:

Look we already establish he will be sleeping with a much older woman.
            Does couple of years realy gonna bother anyone.
            Main thing is Ashton can not pull it off.His meet cute attitude and boyish charm with a wanna be an adult life style,I just don’t see it.
            He may surprise me.I think they should have given this oppertunity to a no name actor.

• Jack says:

Yes! At first I read, “life irritating art.” That works too.

• Kirstin says:

Now that comment is what I call winning.

• Herlinda says:

Should have hired Rob Lowe!

• j says:

charlie sheen cannot act and neither can ashton kutcher. sheen was just playing a milder version of himself on the show. it is the rest of the cast that carried the show. the writers would have been better off just writing charlie out and replacing him with some distant, egotistical, relative. the show will never be the same again and i will never watch it again. as for charlie, he is in for a rude awakening. when the smoke dies down, he is going to find himself shunned like the plague. the only reason he is getting attention now is because he is the butt of all the latest jokes. that is not going to be a coat tail he can ride forever.

• Tom says:

I love it when people say the rest of the cast carry the show. Which one? The gay guy, the fat ass kid, the fat ass woman or the thrones of secondary worthless characters? Sheen is the show, and now it will go under, and the funny part is I don’t even watch it so I get to enjoy the debacle from afar.

• paul says:

Totally agree with this comment. It makes no sense to try to replace sheen so far into the show. A relative entering would’ve worked possibly, but to replace Charlie Harper is not going to work. I’m not a big fan of this show, but i did appreciate what Charlie Sheen gave the audience. Art can imitate life but it can’t replace a fluke. Even if chuck could get ashton drunk as a skunk daily, genuinely troubled, inevitably leading to a depraved lifestyle, and then after some time film him in that frame of mind, it still wont work. Thumbs up to Kutcher i’m sure many new to the show will enjoy anything post sheen.

• Matt says:

The thing is, the underlying plot to the most recent 2.5 men episodes is Charlie not facing up to the fact he’s getting older, with Ashton, this could not keep going, and the fact that the younger borther looks much older than the older brother.

• Betty says:

After the first episode with Kutcher replacing Charlie the ratings will most likely sore, but unfortunately after that they will crash and burn, as CBS will lose the older audience. I believe they have made a very poor choice in replacing Charlie Sheen and should have resolved their differences to keep a wonderful show going. I didn’t take to heart much of what Charlie said about Lorrie, but apparently Lorrie, CBS and Warner Brothers did. I am now beginning to think that Sheen was right about Lorrie’s egotistical attitude. I have no interest at all in Ashton Kutcher and I am quite sure that we will see Chuck Lorrie eat crow, as this sitcome with Kutcher at the helm will dive head first right into the toilet!

• people are annoying says:

If you have a good sense of humor you find Ashton is ALWAYS no matter what you watch him in a great source of comedy. Ratings will not drop. It is the perfect person to help everyone else on the show keep their jobs. For those who say they won’t watch it again, you sound like a charlie yourself. An great underlying stupidity

• Breck says:

I’m sure there will be kinks to work out, as there always are when replacing someone who has been on a show for the duration. I hope the audience will hang in there. Ashton is a naturally funny guy, and I have no doubt he will add a wonderful element to the show. And if he doesn’t (he will!), at least the rest of the cast will be able to laugh their butts off the whole time he’s working with them.

• alisa parsons says:

totally agree ashton is too young to replace charlie on this show. why did they not just write him off as he was in rehab and just ride this out with sheen.they may have been able to do this had they replaced him with a more mature man. ashton is a teenage heart thromb for god sakes.

• goldengirl_latina says:

I have always been a big fan of Charlie Sheen watched him on the big screen and fell in love with his talent of acting skills, now that he was in two in a half men it was a brilliant role and he did an outstanding job, to bad Chuck Lore and his fellow followers couldn’t but a side some differences to make the TV Viewers happy instead he let his ego get in the way and now two in a half men looks so ridiculously fake and terrible,,, Charlie, you are a great actor and I know you will find a better place, Charlie you did make two in a half men you made the show what it was. No one can replace you!!!!

• Lalina says:

I wish they changed the name to 1.5 men and worked with the talented cast they have now. There would be many possibilities on the show had they written Charlie out. Like Alan getting married, or getting a room mate. Or Burda moving in….and so on.

Don’t think Ashton was a good choice…but oh well. Re all the comments about him being with an older woman….so what….personal choice.

Lalina

• Kno says:

No one can replace Sheen. Kutcher has performed as a comical character, but replacing Sheen is something he will not do well.

• Tony Z says:

OK the new Two and half men SUCKS!. Kutcher is a terrible actor.
      So they try to sell him with some stupid nude scenes and several penis remarks by Alen. Yeah that’s reaching for chit when you have nothing else. Nice job Fing up men CHUCK!

2. TrySomeHumility says:

Try some humility next time. Get over your damn self.

• Michael says:

Try some morals next time. Get over YOURself. Sheesh!

• alex says:

Really? They weren’t really bragging, they were being cutesy. Maybe don’t be rude or insulting.

• HeDoesn'tKnowWhatHumilityIs says:

He might have tried to play it off as cute, be he was completely trying to put himself over. That’s all he’s ever done, going back to when he was at TV Guide. I mean, he has his face and title at the top of single page on this site. Who else does that?

• TryGettingOffYourA** says:

Ummm…if it has bothered you since his TV Guide days, why the heck are you still following him on this site, so many years later? Oh, that’s right, because he’s FREAKING AWESOME at what he does! Go start your own damn site if you think you can do better.

• Potch says:

Then why are you even reading his page? Go troll somewhere else. Ausiello is my most favorite columnist EVER. You’re just a jerk. Maybe you are charlie Sheen?

• Cathy says:

What is wrong with you? Who else does that? Oprah, Ellen, Rachael, heck, Donald Trump has his name on stuff he doesn’t even own.

If you don’t like it, then obviously that’s your choice, but it makes no sense that you are following him from job to job, or that you’re contributing to his success by being on here when you don’t like him.

• Kate says:

Seems to me maybe you ought to look up the word before you go on a rant about it. Your comments could use a little humility themselves.

• TigerNightmare says:

If you’re not an Aushole, you’re just an asshole.

3. Allison N says:

I don’t watch this show, but is Ashton playing Charlie’s character? How is that going to be explained?

• Laura says:

ya no doubt Charlie is the OLDER brother and Ashton is clearly younger than the other brother

• tretz says:

know one will be able to replace charlie sheen especially ashton kutcher what a joke this show wont succeed without charlie all the best to them though not winning ?

• Kim says:

I think they’ll have Charlie move to NY or something for his career and Ashton will move in to help pay the bills. Or maybe Ashton’s character will be doing a house swap with Charlie, but Charlie’s house comes with baggage. No wait, CHARLIE comes with baggage…

• RTCruiser says:

Don’t you people know how TV Works? They’ll kill Charlie Sheen’s character of and just when Ducky (or what ever the hell his name is. I don’t watch the show) thinks he’ll be left the house Ashton arrives to to claim it as Charlie’s previously unknown bastard son.

• Claire says:

HAHAHA! Yeah, that can work. But maybe instead of killing Charlie they’ll have him move away with Rose.

• Melanie says:

I was thinking the same exact plot

• Just a Reader says:

I was thinking he may be a long lost younger brother that Evalyn gave up for adoption or had him raised by whoever the father is.

• Templar says:

Or, alternatively he is Charlie’s dad’s love child that Charlie knew about, but Alan and his mother didn’t. And Charlie, knowing what a babe in the woods Alan is, leaves worldly wise Ashton in charge.

• FlowerPower says:

NO ONE SAID ASHTON IS GOING TO BE PLAYING CHARLIE’S CHARACTER. OPEN YOUR MIND.

• Justme says:

He’s the new Darren Stevens…..

• Alex says:

I heard he’s going to be playing Charlie’s illegitimate son. Charlie mentioned once to Alan that he had a sexual experience in the 8th grade. Apparently with a hot school teacher! That spells Charlie, alright. She was too ashamed to tell him, her son or anyone. But she does when she hears Charlie has died. Charlie left no will so Alan doesn’t inherit any of Charlie’s things. Since Ashton’s character is Charlie’s next of kin, he inherit’s everything. Apparently decides to let Alan stay since Alan’s his uncle.

4. Lana says:

Wow, way to make sure I never watch this show again…epic fail!

• cibele says:

Yep, same here. This guy is one of worst actors out there. Not that Charlie Sheen is better. But still…

• ashley says:

That makes two of us. Ashton Kutcher??? Really?

• MadameDame says:

How funny… I think it’s a bad idea too but only because I think Ashton is gonna waste himself in such a horrible show…

• cibele says:

Have you watched his movies? He’s terrible. Yes, he was funny in That 70’s show and it was good in Butterfly effect, but lately I don’t think he’s all that. Not that Two and a Half men is all that. Well, after all it might be a perfect match.

• Templar says:

I thought he was great in “A Lot Like Love’ with Amanda Peet. Yeah, I know it’s a chick flick, but still.

• FlowerPower says:

Yep — REALLY! He’ll be GREAT. You’ll be eating your words.

• allie says:

And I’m at the other end of the spectrum…. I have never watched this show, but Ashton Kutcher might convince me to watch!!! LOVE IT!

• FlowerPower says:

EPIC fail?!? Is this CHARLIE posting his own dislike of CBSs selection? Or have you just decided to talk like him?

Ashton Kutcher is HARDLY an “Epic fail.” He’ll kick Charlie’s a$$ in the ratings! Take THAT Chuck Sheen!!!!!!!

• dude says:

Yup, no Mr. Sheen, no watching for me. Ashton is such a lame actor, I bet the show gets dumped.

• cheryl says:

I think that this will be the worst mistake that CBS is going to make. Ashton sucks as an actor, Charlie Sheen was fun and he made the show what it was, I agree, the show will get dumped.

5. karen says:

I am wondering how this is going to work with the age difference

• Curtis says:

I can only guess that Uncle Charlie finally passed on and his illegitimate son inherits the house, the money and the family. After all, Charlie was a big whore.

• Lois says:

Charlie’s son? Ashton is 33, and Charlie is 45. Unless Charlie became a dad when he was 12-years-old, Ashton is too old to be Charlie’s son.

• Mary says:

It doesn’t matter how old they are in real life, they are playing characters so conceievably it could work.

• Katrinka says:

Anyone who thinks Charlie Sheen looks 45, please raise your hand. I’m older than that & he looks like he could be MY father.

• Rose says:

Charlie does look bad for his age, but Ashton still looks too old to play his son.

• Justme says:

Yep – better living through chemistry! Crack not only ages ya, it rots your teeth too.. LOLOLOL Charlie’s such a dumbass – he needs to talk to Robert Downey Jr.

• Alex says:

Charlie did once tell Alan that he had a sexual experience with a hot woman in the 8th grade.

• Jason says:

Yeah Ashton IS 33 but he still looks like MAYBE 23. Hell Charlie is a year younger than Jon Cryer, but decades of drinking and drug use makes him look like he could be the older brother. Anyways I don’t think the show will survive with Ashton.

6. Harper says:

I’ve never been a huge fan of the show but, I did love Ashton in That 70’s Show. So I may check it out. Maybe his being there will appeal to a new, younger, fan base? Congrats to Ashton!

• tvfan says:

I has no option about Ashton Kutcher, but I like the writing on this show; so I will wait and see if I like the new direction the show must take. I am surprised people aren’t just saying they will reserve judgement until they see the end product.

• Lisa says:

Exactly what I think….Let’s see the end result. Ashton has done well with his career. As long as he is not going to be Charlie Harper, I think it will be fine. Charlie Sheen is/was Charlie Harper and can’t be replaced. I am a long time fan of the show and can’t wait to see the new direction it will take. The whole cast is great and I am glad that they will be around a bit longer. Should be interesting.

7. Jen says:

Really? I mean, how is this going to work? Are they goin to re-cast? Make a jake’s future stuff? I aint sure if I’ll like it, I love ashton kutcher but I am not so sure about their choice. I hope they know what they are doing.

8. cory says:

Might as well have canceled the show considering this move will mean next year is the last. Ashton can’t carry a film how do they expect him to carry a sitcom?

• His career started on “That ’70s Show” a sitcom. Chuck Lorre can easily expect it.

• jenna says:

which ended 5 years ago….

• Rob says:

Kutcher played a secondary character on That 70s Show. That show revolved around Topher Grace’s and Lauren Prepon’s characters. Kutcher didn’t carry that show. There is a difference between being a great secondary character in a sitcom who can be really quirky and give a few lines a show to being the lead and carrying the show. Actors like Jason Alexander, Michael Richards, Lisa Kudrow, Matthew Perry, Brad Garrett, and others have learned this the hard way.

• Kris says:

Yes but you don’t know that Kutcher will be carrying the show. Men will most likely focus on Jon Cryer and his realtionship with his son with Kutcher playing a secondary character. I’m sure he’ll do fine as long as he’s given the right material.

• Lucas says:

That is the only way that I would except this particular move. Personally I think they should have just ended the show .

• Rose says:

Do you really think that Ashton Kutcher would agree to play a supporting character? Or that they would pay him $1 million per episode to play a supporting character?

• Ez says:

He didn’t “carry” That 70s Show, he was one member of an ensemble cast held together by Topher Grace. Cory is right, he won’t be able to carry a sitcom. He can only play one character.

• Curtis says:

I’m sure Ashton could carry the show. First of all, he was still young when “That 70’s Show” came on the air 13 years ago. The show wasn’t a show surrounding Lauren and Topher. It was an ensemble cast show. Everyone contributed to the success of it. Much like “Designing Women”, “Golden Girls” and “Murphy Brown”. And like those shows when one or more of the key characters leave the show it was hard for the show to hold on. But Chuck Lorre is a great writer and has great vision. i have to assume he’ll find a way to pull this off. After all, the show is still the number 1 show on TV.

• Templar says:

The rest of the cast is really strong, so I think Ashton will slide right in and have terrific support. If they adopt a plot line of him being a secret half brother who’s as much of a rake as Charlie and Alan the goody two shoes, it should be great.

• maggie says:

Ashton was a supporting character on That 70’s Show, not the lead. He didn’t carry the show, and has not done well at carrying movies.

• Abe Froman says:

Ashton did not “carry” That 70s Show… it was an ensemble cast.

• Rose says:

Kutcher was a supporting character on “That 70s Show” and didn’t carry the show. It’s still unknown if he can carry a show.

• FlowerPower says:

Can’t carry a film so how do they expect him to carry a sitcom??? First of all, he CARRIED a sitcom just fine, and when on earth is a FILM the same thing as a SITCOM? Everything Ashton does turns to gold. His own produced t.v. shows like Punked, Beauty and the Geek, etc. are always original and fun to watch. It’s going to be great when you have to eat your words.

• Jason says:

Did you get into Charlie Sheen’s drugs? What sitcom are you claiming that Ashton Kutcher carried? Surely not That 70s Show. Punk’d wasn’t a sitcom it was a practical joke show and wasn’t funny after the first season because some people started asking if they were being punk’d. This show will fail now.

9. steve says:

Really CBS epic fail how on earth is this going to work.

10. John Berggren says:

Worst. Idea. Ever.
    Hugh Grant was a good plan.
    Chuck Lorre just got punk’d.

11. Dave says:

I hope Allison’s kidding, but wouldn’t it be awesome if they really did the Bewitched thing and switched actor without changing the character? Soaps do it all the time too!

12. nicole says:

Seriously? Are we being punk’d?

13. JohnDoe says:

Awful.

14. jenna says:

was planning on tuning in if it was hugh grant to see if it would work but with ashton kutcher thats a definite no. He is not funny whatsoever add that to the fact that he hasn’t done very much since the end of that 70’s show and it just seems like a bad decision overall

15. kc says:

Why wont this show go away? it is terrible!

16. Shadow says:

Interesting. Normally I’d write this off as a bad idea, but Kutcher as an actor has really matured since “That 70’s Show.” His last film was “No Strings Attached” and I was actually surprised at how well he did. It’s easy to write somebody off of something. Let’s see how the first episode back goes and base an opinion off of that.

17. heather says:

Wow, the crap you spew. You are way too full of yourself.

18. Carisa says:

Thumbs up! So glad it wasn’t Hugh Grant!

19. Aushole says:

Ashton will be Charlies son

20. Ruth says:

I hadn’t thought about Ashton but I can totally see him on this show. It’s TV – they can explain it any way they want and the fans will buy it. As far as I’m concerned…if it will knock Sheen down a peg or 2 – I’m ALL for it! Sounds like “winning” to me! I’ll be watching…

• Esmeralda says:

well you don’t know since you are not a fan of the show so just SHUT UP

• Natalie says:

Calm down. They didn’t say they didn’t watch the show! They said they supported this move and think it can be done well since you can explain anything on TV. A valid point.

21. Aushole says:

Wow, Charlie is now laughing and laughing and laughing forever.
    Ashton will bomb! Ha!
    Charlie dies – ashton whom is his long lost son inherits everything including the bro-troll and little-troll

22. Hector says:

aston is charile son!!!!!!!

23. Tammy says:

Awesome… Ashton was great on 70’s show. Good comic timing, a little youthful appeal doesn’t hurt either. I think he will be great.

24. Mark says:

Um Ashton Kutcher is a good catch. All he needs to do is be shirtless a couple scenes and that should hopefully draw in some younger female viewers. Also, he’s quite funny. Get some of his pals to guest star on the show, I’m looking forward to it. I reallyyyyy wish they’d replace Angus though. He’s absolutely horrible. Ruins the show for me any scene that he’s in.

• Rose says:

As I young female viewer I couldn’t care less if Kutcher was shirtless. There are so many hotter guys on TV. If the Green Arrow and Booster Gold had a spinoff from Smallville THAT would draw in female viewers.

25. Lisa says:

Well, I like Ashton Kutcher so of course I’ll still watch and see where they go. I think their initial ratings will be through the roof just based on people’s curiosity. Let’s hope they do it justice. I still think it would have been funnier to have had Herb move in with Alan. They have serious comic gold between their two characters.

26. Kara C. says:

Bewitched made the switch with Darren. Roseanne switched actresses twice with Becky. I’m sure they can make this happen.

It still won’t be a funny show, though.

27. Lena120 says:

Never been an Ashton fan but gotta admit he was great on That 70’s Show.

28. Chuck Lorre’s got the right idea though, if not the right casting. After working in the ’90s for Roseanne Barr, Cybill Shepherd, Brett Butler, and Charlie Sheen in the ’00s, he wants his work to be easy at this stage of his life. And now with this, “The Big Bang Theory” and “Mike & Molly”, he’s got it.

29. Save_BreakingIn says:

Sure, Ashton Kutcher’s made some not so great movies (just married, my boss’s daughter, and killers, to name a few) but if you look at his work that doesn’t focus on romance (that 70’s show, dude where’s my car?, the butterfly effect, the guardian) he’s not that bad of an actor. His two best works, in my opinion, were that 70’s show and dude where’s my car?, which both focused on primarily immature humor, which Two and a Half Men does pretty well. So as long as they keep the show a little immature and keep it more of an ensemble, it might do pretty well. Heck it’ll probably be better than the past few seasons.

30. susela says:

Well, don’t toot your horn too much, Ausiello, ’cause this is really bad casting. The show would have had a chance with Hugh Grant—what a brilliant choice!—but with Kutcher, not so much. Chuck Lorre blew it! Don’t think I’ll bother to tune in to see this train wreck.

31. Ryan says:

There is no way Ashton Kutcher is going to play Charlie. I’m sure Chuck Lorre will come up with a funny story as to why Charlie is gone and Ashton’s character is in.

32. Jack says:

If they signed Ashton Kutcher that quickly, Hugh Grant was nothing more than wishful thinking and a ploy to hype the show.

Kutcher doesn’t hold my interest even in his whatsitsname camera commercials. Can’t forward through them fast enough. This is the first time I ever thought Charlie Sheen’s opinion about the executive producers might be right, their idiots.

And Aussholes are Aussholes, so nothing new there.

• Rob says:

I don’t know. The upfronts are next week and they probably had to hire a “Name” before then to display him in New York on Tuesday. Kutcher might have benefitted from CBS’ desperation and gotten a deal he would never had gotten if Grant didn’t drop out at the last minute.

33. Jay says:

There is no way I will watch Two and a Half Men with Ashton Kutcher. Epic fail.

They ought to just cancel the show and Chuck Lorre can focus on his other shows or he could come up with something new.

• bbobbbbbb says:

too true. don’t get the feeling that vibe will get in that kind of show.

• FlowerPower says:

OK, Charlie. You can stop posting here as different people. Every time you write “Epic Fail” we know it’s you. If you can’t stand that the show is going on without you, maybe you shouldn’t have been such as a$$. We know you’re going through a serious mid-life crisis now and you’ll be extremely embarrassed by it all in a year or so, but come on, we know it’s you when you post “Epic Fail.” Go work on your stage show since it’s all you’ve got now…

34. Tavis says:

This makes me mad. I wanted Charlie to be re-hired.

35. Rob says:

Well, this is a way to go. They could have gone either way on this. They could have gotten a good replacement or they could have gotten Ashton Kutcher.

People say that he was good on That 70s Show, but that show was an ensemble where he shared screen time with a half dozen other actors and his character got limited screen time. That Kelso Show would have been an unimitigated disaster because Kutcher wasn’t fuy enough to carry the show. Two and a Half Men has mostly been a two actor show with recurring secondary characters.

I don’t think they can make him another Charlie Harper type character and it will be awful if they make him another Kelso type of character. It should be interesting to see how they will use him.

Personally, after hearing all the names that were rumored to be Sheen’s replacement and many of the names who turned it down, I am rather disapointed with the choice. Granted Kutcher was probably their 5th or 6th or lower choice after John Stamos, Rob Lowe, Hugh Grant, and my personal favorite to replace Sheen – Jeremy Piven.

36. aleksa says:

Anyone else looking forward to the Charlie Sheen rant on this news?

37. bmospr04 says:

i say traded up. Kutcher is kind of on the same level as sheen, Career wise. More so TV stars vs Movie stars…They would have to do a hell of a job of trying kutcher into the fold

38. epicfail says:

oh. ish. no.

39. Melisa says:

Love, love, love him!! I didn’t watch the show before because of Charlie Sheen. Now I definitely will!!!

40. Jen says:

I’m thinking this will be less like Darren on Bewitched more like Chrissy/Cindy on Three’s Company?

41. Aidan says:

Wow i hope Ashton Kutcher dose a good job i am a big fan of Two and a Half Men and i loved That’s 70’s Show.

42. brian says:

ha cool. i dint watch this show before, but might now.

43. tahina says:

I see this show cancelled before you can say Ashton Kutcher..Charlie Sheen was the soul of the show..regardless.

44. Stephanie says:

Ashton Kutcher the movie star? I do not like.
    Ashton Kutcher the sitcom star? That’s more like it.
    Say of the guy who you will, but he really did shine on That 70s Show and I think this might be good for the show. So congrats to him.

• Natalie says:

Agreed!!! It’s like Jennifer Aniston. Her movies are blah. But she’s comedic gold in 22 minute increments. I would like to believe that Ashton has grown up and reach different levels of humor (not just blatant stupidity), which would make him perfect for this! He’s GREAT with timing and can easily fluctuate between serious and funny. As long as his character description is believable, I think he’ll be able to handle it really, really well.

45. jj says:

Anything is better than Jon Cryer tying to carry the show. I detest Alan and like Jon even less. Not a fan of Ashton’s but hey let’s see if he can bring something new to the table.

• FlowerPower says:

Wow, do you like ANYBODY? Jon Cryer is HYSTERICAL and is the reason Two and a Half Men succeeded, NOT because of Charlie. It has ALWAYS been “Alan’s” reactions to Charlie’s antics that made the show what it was. It’s actually not my favorite show but I started watching during dinnertime when nothing else was on and discovered just how great Jon Cryer is. Comedic timing, Alan’s “Nevertheless” comments, his facial expressions…. Think about it. Jon can play opposite ANYBODY and do the same thing. Charlie was NEVER the show, it’s always been Jon.

• Tyler says:

Really? I find Alan to be whiny and annoying… Charlie & Jake have been the best characters in this.

JC is a decent actor but he’s wasted in the role of Alan.

Perhaps it’s time the writers invest in the secondary characters because more screen time of Evelyn, Judith, Herb & Berta is the only saving grace I can think of right now.

I’m willing to give AK a chance and see what the writers come up with but maybe it would have been better just to cut their losses with CS and work with what they had left.

46. Christa says:

Fun!! I will check out this show for the first time !!

47. Aurore says:

I would have much prefered Hugh Grant. He is a good actor and he could have been great as a stupidly annoying, and yet adorable womanizer.
    I’m not really a fan of Ashton Kutcher and I’m not sure he has either the talent or the experience for an interesting lead character in men. There will be a lot of expectations, I don’t think he can as good as needed to convince fans.
    But may be I’m wrong. I will check out the first couple of episodes before deciding if it’s worth watching or not.

48. jules says:

I think Two and a Half Men is a terrible show, so keep that in mind when I tell you my idea for bringing in Ashton Kutcher. Charlie Sheen’s character dies in some over the top way (crashes his hot air balloon, screws up cliff diving, disappears during a tsunami, gets trampled at a Stones concert — I don’t care, as long as he doesn’t check out during a three-day-bender with porn stars) and Ashton shows up as some love child he had from an affair in the 80s. Ashton is a chip off the old block, a playa and a ne’er-do-well, he’s been living in Nebraska or something, but he had to leave or get thrown in jail or forced to marry somebody or something, so he’s here to see Charlie, who is conveniently dead. And Chip is left $$ in Charlie’s will, but to get it, he has to move in with the brother and the kid. Hilarity ensues as everybody has to get to know everybody and everybody jokes how much like Charlie this new Chip is. Voila!

• Lois says:

Ashton Kutcher is 33 and Charlie Sheen is 45. There’s no way they could be father and son.

• jules says:

Which is why Genie Francis (born in 1962) could never have played the mother of Tyler Christopher (born in 1972) on General Hospital. Except, oops, she did.

And Jesse Royce Landis, who was born in 1896, would certainly never have played the mother of Cary Grant, born in 1904. Except for that “North By Northwest” thing.

Cause Hollywood never, ever goes with what they want us to believe, rather than the truth, about people’s ages.

• maggie says:

Soap Operas are a joke when it comes to age. Genie Francis never looked old enough to be his mother.
          North By Northwest may be one of the greatest movies ever, but Jesse Royce Landis looked like she could be Cary Grant’s sister, not his mother.
          The failure of these 2 examples to be believable just underscores that it wouldn’t be believable to have Kutcher play Sheen’s son.

49. Luna says:

They won’t have a good show without charlie sheen, it sux 2 say but it’s a bad idea to even go on with this show.

50. cvtf says:

in other words, the show will still suck.