'Jampacked' Smallville Finale Scoop: A 'Jewel' Of a Sendoff! Big Returns! Flash Forwards?!

With just a few days remaining between now and Smallville‘s two-hour series finale (Friday at 8/7c), the showrunners behind The CW’s superhero epic took some time on Tuesday to talk to reporters about what to expect when all is said and done. Which moments will “wow” when Clark and Lois walk down the aisle? What’s really behind Lex’s return? Will Chloe get the sendoff she deserves? And what deleted scenes might make it onto DVD? Here are the slightly-spoilerly teases Brian Peterson and Kelly Souders were willing to part with.

QUESTION | Having just seen a snippet from the finale, it’s safe to say it was huge undertaking with tons of story to tell. How would you describe it?
Souders: It’s two hours, jampacked. You don’t feel like you’re just waiting for the last two minutes of the episode.

QUESTION | Besides the more recognizable ones, were there any small standout moments in the finale?
Souders: There are a couple of moments in the church, particularly when Lois is about to walk down the aisle. Actually, I’m just going to say I have a couple of favorite moments on the actual aisle.
Peterson: And there’s a very good scene with a door that is probably one of everybody’s favorite scenes in the show. There’s one shot, and that is the Smallville shot — you’ll see it and you’ll know it immediately. We needed it in the finale.

QUESTION | Can you talk a little about the emotional impact of the finale. What do you expect fans to come away with?
Peterson: We didn’t want to just do an ending, we wanted to do a beginning. What we were aiming for was giving people the emotion of what’s to come since the end of this show lines up with every movie and a lot of other things. Unlike other shows, we know where the story goes, so it’s a hand-off to those other pieces of mythology, rather than just an ending.

QUESTION | Will there be any glimpses into the future in the finale?
Peterson:
That will be answered in the first five minutes of the show.

QUESTION | Will we hear the John Williams “Superman” score?
Peterson: That will be answered in the last five minutes of the show.

QUESTION | After previewing a few of Lex’s finale scenes, he appears to be a changed man.
Peterson: Lex plays a very interesting role, and there are big twists with him that will surprise you.
Souders: Obviously, because Michael Rosenbaum hasn’t been on the show for the past couple of years, we needed to tie up a lot in this one episode. So for us, Lex’s purpose [in the finale] was much more human and emotional than any of us would have expected. We went back to the pilot to look at that guy who was totally personable and sympathetic, and just wanted to thank someone for saving his life.

QUESTION | How did your plans for the Lex storyline change once you knew Rosenbaum would return?
Souders: In some ways it was pretty similar. He just would have been a puppeteer behind the scenes.
Peterson: It would have been a reveal at the end of the show, rather than seeing a good scene with him and Clark.

QUESTION | Talk a little about Jonathan Kent’s return.
Souders: It will become really clear what role Jonathan plays and why he shows up the way he does in this episode. Every time I see certain moments with Jonathan, I get a tear in my eye.
Peterson: We purposely platformed Jonathan’s role in the finale with what we did in “Lazarus,” the premiere of this season. The whole point was to bookend the season, and he’s introduced in that same type of way.

QUESTION | What can you tease about Chloe’s Smallville sendoff?
Peterson: There are a lot of different ways people want Chloe’s story to end, so we service her character in a way that is right for who she was and who she’s becoming. And she has one big moment with Clark where we get to see her shine.
Souders: Also, how she interacts with the mythology. And I will say that Chloe fans should definitely stay tuned through the whole show. There’s a jewel.
Peterson: There’s a certain thing we gave her that nobody else got.

QUESTION | What does Oliver’s final journey consist of?
Peterson: He has a big heroic moment, a big arc, and some complications.
Souders: The finale defines Clark and Oliver’s relationship, and what it means to both of them. There’s a really great moment where you see their friendship and that bond, and that’s what’s going to keep them going in the future.

QUESTION | So much has been said and written about the finale…. Is there any particular reveal that you’re surprised hasn’t leaked out yet? And if so, any hints?
Souders: I’m kind of surprised everything hasn’t leaked!
Peterson: There’s one shot that leaked, in the Fortress, that I wasn’t surprised about because it’s a great shot. But we didn’t like that it leaked.
Souders: There’s a lot of moments throughout that we wanted to be sure people were watching for the first time. You know, once you see something, you start speculating, and when you get to that moment, it may not be anything like what was represented in that shot. It’s the last two hours, and we just want people to enjoy it.

QUESTION | Did any time or money constraints hold you back from including certain things in the finale?
Souders: We would have liked to see the Justice League more. But what it came down to was that the finale had a lot of people in it, and at a certain point, you tip the scale and are no longer servicing the people who are onscreen. There were a lot of beloved characters we would have loved to see again, but weren’t able to bring back. In general, we were pretty happy with everything we were able to do.
Peterson: That said, I think the finale hits 80 to 90 percent of what everyone will want, more so than any other episode we’ve done.

QUESTION | Are there things you would have liked to include in the finale, or had to cut short, that may be a part of the Season 10 or complete series DVDs?
Souders:
This [complete series] DVD set is insane! I think it’s the biggest one Warner Bros. has ever put out.
Peterson:
We’ve seen the whole series and it’s really cool looking. They’ve gone back and interviewed people who were on the first season with us. We thought at one point that we would be short on footage for the finale, so we wrote a couple of scenes with some of the Darkseid mythology, which ended up not making it into the finale. So, those might end up on the DVD somewhere.

QUESTION | Is there any talk of a Smallville spinoff floating about?
Souders: We haven’t talked about it, to be honest. We’ve had our head pretty buried in the show. But obviously it’s a bunch of beloved characters or they wouldn’t been around for a decade.

QUESTION | What do you hope people take away from Smallville?
Souders: I think it’s the theme that emerged this year: Believe in heroes. That’s become incredibly important to us.

1. Mantooth says:

I am totally psyched for the finale of Smallville. I’ve watched every episode in anticipation of Clark FINALLY becoming Superman.

2. JLCollins says:

It has been an awesome 10 years. I loved this show from day one and I am sorry to see it go. I have been having trouble waatching the last couple of episodes because I don’t want it to come to an end. Good bye Smallville. It’s been amazing!

3. laz says:

i am calling it now chole will get the solemate bracalet that is for lois and that boy with chole is hers and clarks the end.

• K says:

because after ten years, clark would suddenly have romantic feelings for chloe, a married woman. makes sense.

4. Chris says:

It has been a great journey. So much has changed through these 10 years. I bet it’s going to be a great finale. Hopefully Clark will fly!

5. Lynn says:

So help me if Chloe Sue(aka Mary Sue) gets to name Clark Superman, I’ll go postal, bad enough they’ve taken from other characters to give to her as it is

• K says:

I doubt it. The writers know that in the comics Lois is the one to give him the name…or at least I hope they remember! lol ;)

6. hello says:

i just hope they don’t waste to much time on the wedding. We have waited 10 years for this moment. Only one thing should matter, Superman

7. Jesse says:

SO EXCITED FOR THE FINALE!

8. Helena says:

I see that the showrunners are down by 10% on the number of people they figure will be happy. Last week it was 90%. Now, it’s 80%.
    And oh, is it supposed to be Clark focused or not? Because there’s not a single mention of it in the article. That’s the only thing that could get me a least bit excited.

9. Sourabh says:

I’ve watched every episode of this show, and it has had its ups and downs, but I’m going to miss it when it’s gone.
    If only we could have a proper Superman movie with our Smallville cast.

10. Tavis says:

If not a TV movie, I would love to see the Smallville story continue in a monthly title from DC Comics. “Smallville – Season 11: The Comic Book” sounds pretty groovy to me!

11. Mikaylah says:

I just teared up a couple of times reading this interview. I am so excited (and more than a little sad) for the finale. I like that even after 10 years of story, there is so much mythology out there for them to lead the finale into. It is so great that even though Smallville is ending, we know Superman isn’t. Tom Welling has been an extraordinary Clark Kent/Superman.

12. Josh says:

Finale sounds like a crapfest with all these guest stars like Chloe, and dead Pa Kent showing up and all the others. Can’t they let Clark shine for one damn second instead of force feeding us old and used characters.

13. Patrick says:

I can’t wait to see this such a huge fan, that said I think the tital of the last episode sucks. It should have been called Destiny or The beginning but really Superman. All I need now is the complete collection on blu ray.

• Carrie says:

I’m really surprised that it’s just called “Finale”. I also thought it would be called “Superman” or “Destiny”, something to that affect. Oh, well. As long as the finale is good, I don’t care that much about the title.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

As both the producers and Tom Welling have told me, it’s not so simple to just up and use “Superman” as an episode title.

14. Chevy C. says:

SO Excited about this. And sad. Sad and excited. I have been watching this show since high school and I haven’t missed an ep. Fellow fans what door scene wa KS talking about? I’m drawing a blank. I’m guessing Clark walking through the opened cave door in “Commencement”?

15. Carrie says:

Can’t wait!! I’m sad that the show is ending, but the finale will be so exciting to watch. I’ve been watching SV since the pilot episode, so I know that I will be tearing up like crazy on Friday night. Just the promos for the finale get me a little teary-eyed. It’s hard to let go of something you’ve enjoyed so much for 10 years. Thank goodness for DVD sets. I have a feeling I’ll be watching the entire series from the beginning once the show ends.

• Melissa says:

I started the whole series in October (Thank you Netflix) and busted through the whole thing in 4 months. It was so fun!

I will probably buy the boxed set when it’s out. It was so fun, and I know my 6 year old boy will love it in 5 years or so. :)

16. Jason A says:

WOW!!!!!!!!! Can’t Wait. Have not been this excited about a final since Buffy.

@Tavis That would be awesome for at least a DC comic but I would really enjoy a Smallville tv movie!

17. Melissa says:

You know I’ve been waiting for the wedding. But I would rather see everything else that the last 10 years have brought us to! This is going to be EPIC! And I am so excited (and sad) that it’s finally here!!!!

18. I’m hugely excited for Lex’s return, but does anyone agree that the bald cap on Michael’s head is extremely noticeable? That’s going to distract me if it’s that noticeable throughout the episode.

19. Mikos says:

Super psyched for this. Just been really enjoying the series this season. Both Clark becoming bumbling Mr.Kent and his iconic S wearing self. Even loved the fun episodes with hangovers and alternate universes.

So long Blur, you’re about to get a name upgrade.

20. Stef says:

Fantastic interview Megan!! Super insightful questions, and juicy answers to boot! I am going to miss the TVLine Smallville scoops!

21. Shirley says:

I am so psyched for the finale, and this is whipping me into a frenzy!!

22. bob says:

as a theme for a show
    “believe in heroes”, is the most retarded one ever

23. robert says:

I am the Biggest & Number 1 SMALLVILLE / SUPERMAN Fan in the Whole World! I have been watching this great, awesome, terrific, tbhe best tv show ever created since day one back in October 2001 when the Pilot air’d. I have loved Smallville since day one and with each season it only went to newer and bigger heights and allways outdued and out topped anything that we had ever seen before. With each new episode and each new Season, Smallville has taken the Superman Mytholagy to places we have never seen or heard of except in some comics. The show, cast and crew and workers have gave us so much over the last 10 years/seasons that we will never ever see anything else like this again.
    Smallville is the best show ever, its the best there is, the best there was and the best there ever will be!!!
    Thank you Smallville, Thank you to TOM WELLING SUPERMAN and all the cast and crew over the last 10 years! I have no doubt that the smallville Season 10, Series Finale 2-Hour Movie will be the best ever and we will see Clark ‘Tom Welling’ Finally become Superman!!!

24. Baldomero Villarreal says:

I have been on broad since the beginning,just like to say thanks for ten years of pleasure. It’s just a shame Tom Welling does not put on the suit. It would be great to see him were the Superman suit.
    Thanks Again for the ride.

25. Winslow says:

I was satisfied with the 24 finale, I was moved by the Friday Night Lights finale and I hope that Smallville will give em the same sense that nothing more need be said that the characters will be just fine. Of course we know Clark becomes Superman, but from a Smallville perspective he will always be Clark