First Look: Meet the 'OMG!' ET of Falling Skies

When TNT launches its Steven Spielberg-produced alien invasion drama series, Falling Skies, on June 19, the desperate human survivors will face off —  more often than they would like, believe me — with at least two types of extreme extraterrestrials. And TVLine has secured a close-up look at what just may be the baddest of the bunch.

Falling Skies viewers will first meet the “regular” incarnation of the oppressive out-of-this-world species. Dubbed “skitters,” they basically look like a really angry praying mantis mated with a very spicy jumbo prawn — not pretty, superbly creepy, and near-indestructible.

But if you’re scouting out a possible food supply with scrappy survivor Noah Wyle, the alien invader you most want to avoid is called a “mech.” As you can surmise from our first-look photos, a mech — with its formidable armor, multiple laser sights and seemingly endless ammo supply — is not to be messed with. Check out this first pic, then read on for more.

ER alum Wyle fronts Falling Skies as Tom Mason, a history professor who is widowed during the initial alien invasion and now is committed to keeping his three sons alive — one of whom has been captured and “harnessed” (don’t ask) by Earth’s most unwelcome visitors. Mason answers to resistance leader Weaver (Armageddon‘s Will Patton), while working alongside Dr. Anne Glass (Terminator Salvation‘s Moon Bloodgood) and other civilians and soldiers.

Here, Tom’s oldest son, Hal (Secretariat‘s Drew Roy) and another scout, Karen (Veronica Mars‘ Jessy Schram), stumble upon their worst nightmare in broad daylight:

Do you plan to give TNT’s Falling Skies a look when it premieres June 19?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Altair says:

Looks like a crappy version of the Ceph from Crysis.

2. brandon says:

Um…Is this a joke? It looks like a Super Nintendo game graphic. Really, Spielberg??

• Midori4 says:

Have you ever played a SNES game? Because by your comment you clearly haven’t.

Looks fine to me.

• Jason says:

What do you expect. This is a tv show on add supported cable. It’s not a movie with a multi-million dollar budget. They have to keep these effects going through multiple episodes so they have to parse out the FX budget. I think it looks pretty good all things considered.

3. DL says:

Oh-em-gee, looks like Protoss to me!

4. Mike says:

It looks great to me! I really can’t wait to watch this series. Every video and every trailer was just amazing!
    I guess every televisionshow needs a chance! :)

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I’m about three episodes in so far and it’s really intense. So not the “blue sky” version of alien invasion that “V” gave us. Real jeopardy, real strategy, real cause/effect, real stakes.

• Mike says:

I think so. I guess this series will be great because it’s a little bit “darker”. And well … the idea isn’t new but … every Vampire-stuff isn’t new, too. Like I said: every show need a chance and I guess Spielberg knows what to do. :)

• Linda L says:

Hey Matt,
        Have you heard whether it’s being broadcast in Canada or not?

5. Renee says:

I enjoy shows like this so I’ll definitely be checking it out.

6. Megan says:

A… mech? Really? Not only do they have the most unoriginal premise, they can’t even come up with original aliens? They can’t even come up with an original NAME for their alien?

• Mike says:

Skitters is a normal word … what’s wrong with it?

• Amy says:

I think it makes sense that the humans would name it after something they’ve seen already. You don’t think if robot aliens came to Earth today that the media wouldn’t instantly give them names from pop culture?

7. Michael Sacal says:

I’ve seen TV commercials for this here in Mexico and I’m looking forward to seeing it. It’s too bad that TNT here isn’t on HD.

8. xav says:

I’ve seen a few trailers for this and I’m pretty excited.

9. Sourabh says:

So I’m guessing they aren’t of peace.

10. melly says:

If Steven Spielberg is involved, I’m in! Why do people criticize before they even see it? Must be hard living your life as a negative Nelly…

11. Rick says:

Every Preview/Image/Article I have seen about this show has only made me want to watch it more and more. This show is going to be good, at least, I hope it is. I like that it is not cutesy or anything, and that there are real stakes, real jeopardy, and real danger in it. Can’t wait for June 19th :)

12. Vee says:

you kidding! Speilberg and aliens! I don’t need to know anymore about it – I am SO there.

13. Mikey M says:

If V has anything to show is, it’s that you can’t sustain a series over a long period of time when the show is about an invasion. Is someone going to get killed every week why they keep fighting the Aliens with no clear winner because it can be since it is an ongoing TV show?

14. Mary says:

I may be one of only a handful, but I love Noah Wyle. He is the reason I will check this out, even though I have no interest in sci-fi/alien shows. I am heartened by Spielberg’s producing it, though – maybe it won’t be half-bad.

15. Ronnie says:

cant wait till june 19. saw clips of falling skies from the website. Been waiting for a syfy action show since Avatar.

16. Debby says:

Icant wait to see the movie. met & talked with Noah Wyle all summer they filmed across the street from me,really nice decsent guy, very simple yet cool & so polite. I really would love to see this but I don’t thik it will come to Toronto,Canada. It seems to only be on TNT. thats really sad.

17. Rob says:

Will obviously be much of the same old uninspired thing. Much crappy cliche (shock-and-awe space invasion by big malevolent bugs, human survivors resisting invasion with machine guns and explosions, humanoid war robots used by bugs to combat human resistors, some humans abducted by bugs for unknown, sinister reasons) and not-so-much originality.

18. Amazing factors in this article. I will be pretty happy to search your post. Many thanks and I am looking forward to speak to you. Can you you should decrease me a email?