Gossip Girl Exclusive: Taylor Momsen and Jessica Szohr Not Returning For Season 5

Spotted: Two fewer troublemakers on the Upper East Side.

TVLine has learned exclusively that Gossip Girl is parting ways with Taylor Momsen (Jenny) and Jessica Szohr (Vanessa).

A source close to the show confirms that the two actresses will not be returning as series regulars for the CW soap’s upcoming fifth season, but added that both have been invited back on a guest star basis.

Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Grey’s Anatomy, Chuck, Community, Parks and Recreation and More!

The insider also confirms that GG‘s core five — Blake Lively (Serena), Leighton Meester (Blair) Penn Badgley (Dan), Ed Westwick (Chuck) and Chace Crawford (Nate) — will all be back in the fall. Additionally, Kaylee DeFer — who joined the cast this spring as Serena’s rabble-rousing cousin Charlie — has been promoted to series regular status.

Glee Exclusive: Look Who’s Returning!

The departures of Momsen and Szohr hardly come as a complete surprise. Momsen — who has made no secret of her desire to make music her primary focus — has appeared in only a handful of episodes this season. Similarly, Szohr’s alter ego has been given little to do save for a little eavesdropping and meddling here and there. What’s more, Vanessa recently revealed that she was leaving town to study abroad.

Thoughts? Will you miss either one of them? Do you think Serena’s cuz will ably fill the villainess void? Sound off below!

Comments (151)

• OOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!! O_o IM DONE WITH GG!!!!!

Comment by RBK – May 9, 2011 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i won’t watch anymore Gossip Girl.

Comment by gio88 – May 9, 2011 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Welcome in da club!

Comment by RBK – May 9, 2011 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wow. Jenny and Vanessa have such boring stories. No one wants to see them. It’s all about the main ones…

Comment by Jenny – May 9, 2011 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Exactly. Jenny, but most recently Vanessa has had very very little to do in such a long time. They were taking time away from the main storylines. Vanessa was always a relative outsider, but once she lost Dan as a friend she was truly on her own. They never gave her a connection to that inner circle. Jenny obviously not coming back is really not a shocker. She has only come on a couple times this year, and really was an after thought then. It was a smart move on GG’s part. I started feeling baf for Jaessica Szohr. She was like on the show, but really wasn’t. Maybe now she can go somewhere where she can be valued, because she is beautiful and I think has some talent.

Comment by Stacie – May 9, 2011 05:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Jenny has stories? She was in one all season, I thought. And barely.

Comment by Mark – May 9, 2011 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Like I said… spreak for urself!

Comment by RBK – May 9, 2011 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Like I said… speak for urself!

Comment by RBK – May 9, 2011 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Taylor Momsen is AWESOME, I told her at the Cleveland concert in Feb she was too good for this crap. GG was great first 2 seasons, I quit watching in s3 because it was SO boring. Taylor is an incredible musician, so I am delighted for her. Jessica SCHNOZ is gross.

Comment by lorna – May 10, 2011 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d like Momsen to come back. And I like Jessica Szohr, but her character was unbearable. What I really miss, though, is Dair! =D

Comment by Thais – May 9, 2011 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY! …. goodbye to the dead weight ……….

Comment by KenBud – May 9, 2011 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i know, best news for the show, cannot stand those two. Although, Jenny should be back for family gathering and stuff, maybe redeem herself someday? but Vanessa should never have been a series regular anyway, just boring and annoying, never liked her and they didn’t develop her character either. So far, Charlie has been uninteresting, i don’t know if i want her around all the time.

Comment by DB – May 9, 2011 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • after watching yesterday’s episode, charlie sure isn’t uninteresting now
        but i still don’t like her – she annoys me EVEN MORE than juliet earlier this season bleh

Comment by koalialoalo – May 10, 2011 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Word. I am so excited that Vanessa won’t be skulking around next year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! I feel like I just won the lottery, not a big 100 million lottery but like a $2,000 lottery. YESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully they’ll give Nate something to do.

Comment by Liz – May 10, 2011 05:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does anyone still care? But with regards to those two characters, no one is going to miss them. There cannot possibly be anyone who thought Jenny was still on the show (and, shockingly, he single that’s getting airplay is pretty decent; good for her). And, um, Vanessa had fans? You can’t possibly love her. You can’t love to hate her. It’s really mostly pity. OK, maybe this post proves I watch, but I really don’t know why. I guess it’s because I continue to be amazed how good Leighton Meester looks in the scenes where they dial down her makeup.

Comment by Mark – May 9, 2011 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I dont care about Vanessa but for Jenny, speak for urself!

Comment by RBK – May 9, 2011 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Jenny wasn’t even’t on the show! Come on, you can’t seriously miss her. Brought nothing to the table and had a terrible attitude!

Comment by Jenny – May 9, 2011 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • YES she will! The only way that Nate can be relevant and NOT boring or clueless is when Jenny’s around! So YES she will be miss!!

Comment by RBK – May 9, 2011 05:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Uh…they all have terrible attitudes. Most of them are awful human beings.

Comment by Michael – May 10, 2011 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Dont be rude Jenny brought heaps to the table without her the fashion show wouldn’t have been saved, Blair would have always been ‘queen if the steps’, she was the one that took Blair down, if u think about it she got Dan the date with serina………so without Jenny none of that would have happened sooooo……………

Comment by Anon – September 29, 2012 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Um… he was speaking for himself. Who else would he speak for? My OPINION (lest RBK come after me too….) is that the show is better off without them! Their characters (Vanessa, since day 1 and Jenny since she quit school back in season 2) have been whiny wannabes that just didn’t fit in! It was definitely time for them to go. Count me in the group that definitely watches the show, but isn’t entirely sure why other than habit. I love Serena and Blair when they are besties and when they are fighting but the back and forth is so irritating! Pick a side and stay there!!

Comment by allie – May 10, 2011 08:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah, I don’t think too many people are gonna be crying about this news.

Comment by Allie – May 9, 2011 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Charlies cousin Charlie ? Lol. Hate Vanessa on the show but I think I will miss Jenny.

Comment by Stefan – May 9, 2011 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They’re keeping Charlie?? NOOOOOOO

Comment by Melanie – May 9, 2011 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Its been its best season imo and its probably because it had less Jenny and concentrated on the more core cast. This seems like them trying to keep concentrating on the stories and characters that made this season great.

Comment by hoops – May 9, 2011 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS IS AMAZING NEWS!

Comment by AGREED! – May 9, 2011 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY! …. goodbye to the dead weight

Comment by miimyz – May 9, 2011 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Charlie’s cousin Charlie??? Don’t you mean Serena’s cousin???

Comment by Chris – May 9, 2011 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hip-Hip-Hurry!!! All is well in the upper east side!! I only wish that Charlie would fly too. She is a mix of both.

Comment by Liz – May 9, 2011 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This so much. YAY, NO JENNY!!!! YAY, NO TAYLOR MOMSEN!!!! The way they have butchered the character of Vanessa, it’s probably good she’s going, too. Now get rid of Charlie!

Comment by april-ann – May 9, 2011 05:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Addition by subtraction, but adding the cousin is stupid. Concentrate on the core.

Comment by El – May 9, 2011 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good riddance to Vanessa. I wouldn’t have minded Jenny coming back but it’s okay if she doesn’t. I mean, does anyone still like Vanessa?

Comment by Ashley – May 9, 2011 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll miss Vanessa, and if less Jenny means more Dan, that’s a tragedy too.

Comment by Emily – May 9, 2011 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved Jenny in the first 2 seasons but in season 3, I HATED her. As for Vanessa, I could go eithr way. Not my favorite but her being gone means more air time for the fab 5!

Comment by Lauren – May 9, 2011 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You have got to be kidding me :( This show needs Jenny/Taylor. I don’t care about Charlie, nor the fact that Vanessa won’t be back, but I really was hoping Jenny would be back. The character was really crucial to the dynamic, imo.

Comment by aubrey – May 9, 2011 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If Jenny was your fav character, you must be seriously disturbed.

Comment by Jenny – May 9, 2011 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Are you saying I’m disturbed by the news or because Jenny is my favorite female character?

Comment by aubrey – May 9, 2011 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • If Jenny is your fave character, you must not really have watched the past two seasons, because she is not really on the show.

Comment by Mark – May 9, 2011 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Just because a character isn’t on the show much doesn’t mean they can’t be a favorite character. Georgina’s been on the show less than Jenny and some people love her character (not me).

Comment by Anumber – May 9, 2011 06:21 PM PDT
    • True that!!! The stupid Chair shippers are happy now!

Comment by RBK – May 9, 2011 05:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m a CB shipper btw…

Comment by aubrey – May 9, 2011 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Oups sorry! The stupid ones not you!

Comment by RBK – May 9, 2011 05:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The ones who blame Jenny for evrything that went wrong between Chair!

Comment by RBK – May 9, 2011 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Those two won’t be missed. Their absence won’t be noticed. I am upset that Charlie is a series regular. Not likable and the actress’ acting is annoying.

Comment by Jenny – May 9, 2011 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree 100% Cousin Charlie’s acting is HORRIBLE. If she stays around I hope the show will not focus on her too much…

Comment by Dawn – May 9, 2011 05:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • completely agree! Her character just seems like a copy of Jenny (in terms of her role on the show) and the actress just doesn’t seem likeable.

Comment by jenna – May 9, 2011 06:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YESSSSSSSSSSSS! I love it =D

Comment by Suelen – May 9, 2011 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Are you freakin serious. These are the two that cause the most trouble and it makes for good drama on the show. I still don’t understand why everyone hates vanessa… Jenny should be in the same boat. She was just as involved. Hopefully they can still come up with storylines.. will totally miss them both.

Comment by mark – May 9, 2011 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • thanks god! i hate both!

Comment by Giulia – May 9, 2011 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They need to figure out how to write for these characters. Nate still gets a bunch of screen time (and will continue in season five, apparently) and is BORING. Oh, brother!

Comment by Michael – May 9, 2011 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You are ridiculous. Nate is the only reason that many girls see this show, and If no Nate ,it won’t be GG anymore

Comment by mily – May 9, 2011 08:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Personally, I am disappointed that GG missed an opportunity. Tika Sumpter’s Raina is more likeable, more interesting, and has more in common with the Core 5 than creepy Charlie, imho.

Charlie makes sense as a villain du jour, but I’d much rather see a beautiful, powerful woman of color added to the main cast, instead of a parade of peroxide blondes.

Comment by k – May 9, 2011 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree. I hope Raina returns.

Comment by Emma – May 9, 2011 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Raina and Charlie are both equally as boring. I would rather see Jenny and Vanessa.

Comment by Alyssa – May 9, 2011 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOVE raina, her and nate have gotten kind of boring but she’s an interesting character and she is GORGEOUS.

Comment by jenna – May 9, 2011 06:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ICAM! The addition of the Thorpes brought some much needed color & new (unincestuous) blood to the show. I had grown tired of the same stories being recycled with the same old people. I really hope that the Thorpes, especially Raina, will be added as regulars as well. Otherwise, I think I’ll pass on next season.

Comment by C – May 10, 2011 08:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree! Raina should have stayed on the show. I love her and was intrigued by her and Nate, although for some reason they did not develop that relationship in the way they do with others. Instead, after building the chemistry between them the focus was only on her search for her mother which became repetitive and boring. They could easily have integrated her and Nate into the plot and made her an interesting rival or associate for Chuck. Instead they went down a different road, making her father a comic book villain and leaving her with nowhere else to go. I call that lazy writing. Having said all that I really like her character and hope that they will reconsider and think of some good story-lines for her.

Comment by Brenda – May 15, 2011 03:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • welcome to family Charlie) i like her.. her character has potential..

Comment by lala – May 9, 2011 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i hate charlie. shes annoying ugh

Comment by emma – May 9, 2011 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best news I’ve heard all day. Would have been best news of the week if Charlie was a goner too.

Comment by Emma – May 9, 2011 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Right there with ya! :)

Comment by Jenny – May 9, 2011 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hardly surprising news. I’m not happy about it, but I’m not exactly sad about it either. Gossip Girl’s needed some fresh blood for a while now, so it’s good that we have a new series regular – I just wish it was someone other than Charlie. I wish it was Georgina. I can’t help but think that using Georgina to merely make season finales more crazy is a complete waste of the character. She’s interesting and it’d be nice to see her stick around, interact with the cast more, and maybe work out some of her serious issues.

Comment by Derek – May 9, 2011 05:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have been waiting for them to get rid of them two since season one

Comment by Megan – May 9, 2011 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG!!! I love Jenny, thou her character is sometimes ruined. and Vanessa… too bad… I like her character and I love Jessica, but writers have ruined her character too.. :(

I DON’T LIKE Charlie :( but surely, writers thought that she’ll bring more spices. Thou, I hate kind of spices she brings to the show

I just want DAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!! <3

Comment by Deskynowsky – May 9, 2011 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Drinks are on the house. Thank you very much. Been waiting to hear this for a looooong time. And as for Charlie. Interesting. Girl’s crazytown. Can’t wait to see where this goes. Actually a useful character.

Comment by Cort – May 9, 2011 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally we got rid of trashy Taylor Momsen. About damn time! Not only did she add nothing to the show, but also she subtracted time from the better and much more interesting characters. And she was by far the worst actor on the show. Good riddance. Same cannot be said about Jessica Szohr, who is not only a good actress, but also a good mix in with the rest of the characters. Glad she’ll be back as a guest star. As far as Momsen, I hope they give her a total of one minute airtime as guest star as well. There was absolutely nothing likeable or useful about her character anymore. Good riddance.

Comment by Annie – May 9, 2011 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh no … I mean, yay … I mean … oh, whatever. Is it really going to make a difference? The characters don’t have a purpose anymore. And really, isn’t Charlie their love child anyway? Evil, mostly pointless, big outsider chip on her shoulder, and as for the fashion sense … it’s not too bad now, but give it time. I can’t see where they’re shaking things up too much here.

Comment by tacos22 – May 9, 2011 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was clear the moment rumors started floating around about Charlie becoming a season regular next season that Jenny would be out of the show. Glad that’s exactly how things went. I’m not happy Vanessa will only be a guest star, but can’t have everything…

Comment by Lucy – May 9, 2011 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Agree with k–I’d rather see Raina as a regular than Charlie, since now the core cast is made up of white people. Which probably means if there will be POCs they will be regulated to guest star parts.

Whatever, I’m done with this show anyway.

Comment by Dee – May 9, 2011 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think that GG didn’t use them in the first place, so it comes as no surprise. Maybe if they actually gave Vanessa a storyline this would shock people. Don’t know how I feel about Charlie though.

Comment by Britt – May 9, 2011 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Omg, i was never really fond of jenny or vanessa, but I dislike charlie even more! ugh. gossip girl needs to step it up!

Comment by michelle – May 9, 2011 05:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just… please don’t let Charlie have sex with Chuck. He needs to work on winning Blair back.

Comment by Alyssa – May 9, 2011 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • not that I love Vanessa or Jenny much but I really hate Charlie, so this isn’t really great news.

Comment by kristine – May 9, 2011 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will miss Jenny/Taylor Momsen. Finally Vanessa is gone! I’ve been wanting Vanessa gone since the first second she popped out of Dan’s window.

Taylor is doing great with her music so she is doing well for herself. Dont care about Jessica.

Comment by jillian – May 9, 2011 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I haven’t watched Gossip Girl since early this season when they started character assassinating Vanessa during the Juliet arc for no reason, and now I’m definitely never coming back. Vanessa was my favorite character on the show. Outspoken and righteous, intelligent, interested in the world around her, and the only major character of color in this otherwise nearly all-white universe. I no longer have any time for this terrible show. Thanks a lot, Gossip Girl.

Comment by Melissa – May 9, 2011 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Interesting. Can’t say I’m shocked or sad, really. But you know what would be good? Having Nate – and this is a completely new and revolutionary idea – actually have a storyline that doesn’t involve him just hanging around his home talking to Chuck. I mean, it’s so unheard off, it’d be the biggest shocker on the show ever!

Comment by candice – May 9, 2011 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It doesn’t necessarily mean that Jenny & Vanessa wont return to the UES. It just means that, by putting them as a “Guest Stars” – atleast for now, they don’t have to find storylines for them, where Vanessa does just stand in the back ground. Taylor has her music career, but they aren’t writing her out, she just wont be in as many episodes, similarly to this season. But I will strongly miss Jenny, as for Vanessa, I like the actress, but the character ended in having little to do but moan.

Comment by GG – May 9, 2011 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t say i’m too crazy about Charlie. They’ve ruined Vanessa’s character.

Comment by Sandy – May 9, 2011 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • any chance Georgina will be around more next season?

Comment by ggny – May 9, 2011 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And I wish Charlie didn’t stay… anyway, I just hope she and Dan doesn’t become a real couple.

Comment by Thaís – May 9, 2011 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who wants to bet that now that Charlie is a main character, once her whatever with Dan blows up at the end of this season, she will date both Nate and Chuck next season?

Comment by Madison – May 9, 2011 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve been a fan for so long but I’m starting to get really annoyed with this show it’s always the same scheming and backstabbing. These people fall in love so quickly, Nate has been useless for so long now he’s willing to leave Chuck behind and go with Reina (who is just a terrible character. Now this Charlie girl is in love with Dan so tiring. And I never thought I’d say this but I hate Chuck and Blair now they are horrible to each other he’s abusive I just don’t want them together anymore. Blair and Dan was the best thing this season and they ended the story line so quick. Tired of this show

Comment by Patchi – May 9, 2011 05:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Are you kidding? They’re promoting Charlie instead of Georgina or even Raina?! That is whack. At least Raina is likable. Hopefully Georgina will take the second regular spot open.

Comment by Will – May 9, 2011 05:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oooh. A Raina promotion would have been awesome. She can be cut-throat and likeable at the same time.

Agree with everyone who said Georgina would be better than Charlie. Though my ideal replacements would be Raina and Eric. I really wish his walk on the dark side with Damian had gone somewhere.

Not going to gloat about Momsen and Szohr since so many are upset. Can’t say that I’m surprised, though. When I realized how little they’d been in this season I wondered if the producers were testing how well the show would go without them.

Comment by Stephen – May 12, 2011 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the best Gossip Girl-related news I’ve heard in a long time. I might actually give it a shot next season now.

Comment by Jesse – May 9, 2011 05:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post