SNL With Tina Fey: Best and Worst Skits?

Get More: Recaps

As an unabashed Tina Fey fan, I was probably predisposed to enjoying last night’s Saturday Night Live, and for the most part, I wasn’t disappointed. The opening monologue — a duet between a pregnant Fey and Maya Rudolph about “uterus hogs” and what causes them (rosé wine and unprotected sex on a roller coaster, apparently)  – was more amusing than uproarious, but a couple of skits were pretty genius. My two favorites?

Best: Pregnant in Heels Parody
I was howling from start to finish as Abby Elliott performed a grotesquely marble-mouthed impersonation of Bravo reality star Rosie Pope, and Fey showed up as Shoshanna Bunt, a self-absorbed client who’d already lost 35 pounds during her pregnancy. Shoshanna’s demands included a delivery room with “no randos, no uggos, no fatties, no docties — that’s doctors,” a water birth where the water would be replaced by Diet Coke, and a “ship in a bottle” procedure to ensure the arrival of a fully clothed infant (because naked babies are “disgusting”).

Best: GOP Debate
I also got a kick out of what could have been an obligatory Fey-as-Sarah-Palin bit that was enlivened by sharp writing — “Michele Bachmann, when MSNBC wants to scare liberals into caring about elections, they have you on as a guest” — and loopy impressions of Shepard Smith, a depressed Mitt Romney, and Donald Trump. Fey was typically scathing as Palin, thanking Fox News for being the network that “both pays me and shows me the questions ahead of time,” explaining she’d been boning up for her next presidential run by purchasing “Rosetta Stone: English,” and expressing delight that America has “finally vanquished one of the world’s great villains, and I for one am thrilled to say good riddance to Katie Couric.”

Not everything about the episode worked — when does it ever? — but one skit stood out as particularly laugh-free:

Worst: Little Mermaid
The concept? Fey’s Little Mermaid and her friends have their reverie interrupted by Osama bin Laden’s floating corpse. This one should’ve been left under the sea.

What did you think about this week’s SNL? How would you rate Fey’s hosting gig? What were your favorite and least favorite skits? Did the pregnant host participate in enough scenes to keep you satisfied? Sound off below, and for all my TV recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Comments (29)

• I agree with the worst skit; the mermaid skit was so unfunny, I didn’t even laugh once. I also think that Tina Fey barely did Sarah Palin in that Fox News debate. It was hilarious, but I wish they gave Tina more airtime in that skit. Overall, I thought it was great! There’s always a weak skit even when the funniest person is hosting.

Comment by Junior G. – May 8, 2011 08:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My brother and I actually loved the mermaid skit. Someone needed to skewer the wacky conspiracy theory people.

Comment by DL – May 8, 2011 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s actually one of my all-time favorite sketches. My favorite person, Fey, as my favorite Disney princess? And making fun of conspiracy nuts? Swoon. You know they’d have to do OBL skits, so this was the best way to shoehorn it in.

Comment by Nerdista – May 8, 2011 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Little Mermaid skit was the best one of the night! I thought it was hilarious, especially since is covered so many different views about the actual event. Social commentary at its finest!

Comment by drew – May 8, 2011 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have to admit that I’d never heard of “Pregnant in Heels”, and when that sketch came on, I thought it was a random, sort of ridiculous idea for a fake TV show. Abby Elliot and Tina Fey were funny even without the context, though.

Comment by Cat – May 8, 2011 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can not get michael bolton’s “Captain Jack Sparrow” out of my head so I guess that was a winner . I actually like the concept of the little mermaid but not the delivery of it. For me the best was weekend update, Seth Meyers really nailed it with the bunny/bin laden joke.

Comment by carolina – May 8, 2011 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree! I can’t wait to get that on my ipod!

Comment by Nerdista – May 8, 2011 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pregnant in Heels was funny, but I thought the sketch about having a home birth (with Kristen Wiig and Maya Rudolph) wasn’t funny, just gross. Honestly, Tina could’ve written much funnier sketches…but she’s pretty busy at the moment :)

Comment by Allie – May 8, 2011 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My favorite was Weekend Update with Stefon. Always hilarious.

Comment by Sarah – May 8, 2011 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was a terrible disappointment. Having Tina as host and having a giant news story to work with should have resulted in a much better show. However, the cold open was so bad…and so long…that it killed the night before it began. If this is the best they could do after 3 weeks off, then I have little hope for the final 2 shows. Ed and Justin, run for your lives!

Comment by LOL – May 8, 2011 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • stephon is on weekend update too much. he’s funny, but not in such large doses. the only reason its funny now is because bill hader can’t keep it together. and i guess his crush on seth. but seth doesnt play his what i would imagine should be intense discomfort over this, as stephon is a REALLY strange person.

Comment by cj – May 8, 2011 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He lives in New York.
      They’re all strange people.

Comment by Jacob – May 9, 2011 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We’re sorry, but the clip you selected isn’t available from your location. Please select another clip. FFFUUUUU

Comment by sen – May 8, 2011 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought the home birth was grotesque AND hilarious! I laughed so hard I was crying! You mean “Pregnant in Heels” is an ACTUAL SHOW? I thought they made that up as a spoof idea! It was hilarious when I saw it, but now I’m just befuddled! Not sure if I think it’s funnier or less so now. Michael Bolton was a riot! Loved the whole thing.

Comment by amy-lin – May 8, 2011 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Pregnant in Heels is NOT a real show, just a parody of the now generic Bravo reality show. (Right down to the random gay black guy – “I am not so much a person as I am a collection of choices.” “I literally had nothing to do with this.”)

Comment by John – May 8, 2011 09:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No sadly you’re wrong…Pregnant in Heels IS real…although since my mom loves the show dearly and forces me to sit through every episode…I wish it wasn’t. Granted they haven’t had anything nearly as crazy as what we saw in the spoof but there have been some creepily disturbing things that have gone on in that show.

Comment by Travis McCollum – May 8, 2011 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How could you not put that disgusting birthing class sketch as the worst?! It was awful! It wasn’t all that funny! Just sickening! I actually loved the Little Mermaid sketch. I thought it was genius! I have to agree with Nerdista up there. That became one of my favorite sketches. It made fun of the people who decided to get drunk in front of the White House and the conspiracy theorists.

Comment by CM – May 8, 2011 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A friend and I both watched SNL on DVR and both missed the pregnant in heels sketch. I don’t know how.

Comment by John Berggren – May 8, 2011 08:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My pick for best of the night was the genius and grotesque Natural Childbirth sketch! I was horrified yet I couldn’t stop laughing!

Comment by John – May 8, 2011 09:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My favorites of the night were probably on the same as yours but I’d add the Lonely Island “Captain Jack” digital short. Those guys know how to make me laugh, and not get a song out of my head for a week.

The worst ones would probably be the girl who brought her mom to the slumber party (it only got somewhat funny at the end but the rest was kind of awkward/weird), the Little Mermaid sketch (it got funnier once the Bin Laden body dropped on Thompson but before that I really wanted to know where they were going since it took them a while to get there) and the birthing one. It was funny but I can’t unsee what I saw. I just can’t.

But props to Hader for keeping it together as best as he could during the Stefon

Comment by Travis McCollum – May 8, 2011 09:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • *bit. Yeah my computer cut out. Darn internet.

Comment by Travis McCollum – May 8, 2011 09:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My favorites were Stefon and the natural birth sketch. Also, yay for Tina Fey! :)

Comment by Sarabi – May 9, 2011 05:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As a dyed-in-the-wool Republican and Sarah Palin fan, that Republican presidential candidate debate should have been a WHOLE lot funnier ,although it was pretty good. there is certainly no shortage of material. Tina Fey is very good as Sarah Palin and deserved more air time.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – May 9, 2011 07:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SNL couldn’t get any more irrelevant (and unfunny) if it hired a second staff of writers.

Comment by trebor99 – May 9, 2011 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The little mermaid sketch was really funny when osama’s body fell on the crab.. but then it just stretched out too long.. i thought the pregnancy class was hilarious!! the fact that they should show Maya with “no underwear” and then Jason sudeikis said Firmez la BUSH!.. hilarious!! and the fact that it turned out it was just taped a week ago and not in the 70s was sooo funny! also., never thought i would say that I loved michael bolton but that digital short was HILARIOUS!

Comment by janie – May 9, 2011 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OH!! and i totally forgot the best part. Jason sudeikis as the Devil on update! hilarious! when he was talking about how hard it was to torture Bin Ladin because of the way he was already living. and then he said they lost Bin ladin! i could not stop cracking up!!

Comment by janie – May 9, 2011 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I frakkin’ love Abby Elliott! She is a comedy genius! I can’t believe Pregnant in Heels is a real show. I listened to the real Rosie Pope, and Abby nailed the impression.

Comment by Fabe – May 11, 2011 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tina Fey could impersonate Sarah Palin, who is herself in a clumsy interpretation of Abe Lincoln during a political pitch. Turns out there is some wardrobe mix up, and she looks more like Mr Peanut. And everyone can ask her if she knows she looks like a nut trying to run for President. And if she sometimes wakes up feeling like a nut. That would be good fun.

Comment by Tesla Kuhn – June 10, 2011 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post