American Idol Brainstorm: What Should the Top 5 Sing for 'Now and Then' Week?

American Idol is introducing a new and intriguing theme on Wednesday: “Now & Then” Night will find the Season 10 Top 5 tackling two numbers apiece, “one current song and one from the 1960s,” according to a press release from Fox. I’m stoked that the producers are planning to pack 10 individual performances into the 90-minute telecast, and I’m not at all minding a mix of classic and modern, either. Check out my dream set list below, then brainstorm some ideas of your own in the comments. And for all my Idol news and commentary, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Slezak’s Dream Set List for “Now and Then” Night

Haley Reinhart:
Now: Mumford and Sons’ “The Cave” or La Roux’s “I’m Not Your Toy” (stripped down to its bare bones — maybe just Haley + piano?)
Then: The Mamas and the Papas’ “Words of Love” or “Dream a Little Dream of Me” (could give Haley a true Idol Moment, especially with a jazz combo backing her, similar to Ella Fitzgerald’s version) or the Isley Brothers’ “It’s Your Thing

Scotty McCreery:
Now: The Band Perry’s “You Lie
Then: Brenda Lee’s “Break It to Me Gently” or Roy Orbison’s “Dream Baby

Jacob Lusk:
Now: Fantasia’s “Bittersweet
Then: Spencer Davis Group’s “Gimme Some Lovin’” or Bobbie Gentry’s “Ode to Billy Joe

Lauren Alaina:
Now: Uncle Cracker’s “Smile
Then: Cher’s “Bang Bang” or Vikki Carr’s “It Must Be Him” or the Crystals “Then He Kissed Me” (put a country twist on any of these camp classics, and Lauren might get a performance worthy of her early hype)

James Durbin:
Now: Pink’s “Raise Your Glass
Then: The Kinks’ “All Day and All Of The Night” or Lovin’ Spoonful’s “Summer in the City

Okay, your turn. Head to the comments and offer your dream set list for this week’s Idol performance show!

1. Gabe says:

I think Haley should do F**kin Perfect by P!nk. I think she could put her own twist on it and give us an Idol Moment worth buzzing about.

• NYCINMD says:

Haley should do use somebody by kings of leon. great moment.

or total opposite jazzy windmills in your mind

• MT says:

How about Bruno Mars’ “Grenade” for Hayley? Stripped down, it might be perfect.

• Joseph says:

You know what is really sad , that I currently do not believe there is any way we will see anything creative this season given the lack of a band leader that can help craft an idol moment.

I think we are only going to get okay performance and really miss the old band that helped the contestants bloom.

• Alex says:

You have a point, the AI band really sucks this year and has ruined a couple of potential standing o performances.

• adamfan says:

that is so true. We did not have a “moment” this season yet. I am talking about a contestant doing something completely original with a song. The producers have taken over this season. And am I correct that Gwen Stefani is coming back to dress them tomorrow? Oy vey. At least we will have something to laugh about Wednesday eve.

• ReMMeZ says:

I think they should all just shut it up. None of them has a great voice. Haley is a complete dumbo/tool. The only reason idoloonies seem to be supporting her is because of Slezak and his edits.

Face it. Idol is dead. After Kris Allen it died. Last season and this one are a joke. A frikking collection of C-singers.

Nope, i stopped watching after Casey went out.. But should have stopped watching after Pia was sent home.

I’m not gonna wait 2 see Scotty win this thing. Scotty can’t sing.

If scotty was in the voice.. ah what the heck – they wouldn’t have wanted him there.

No more idol for me.. Not with these contestants, not with these producers.. and not with those judges.

The voice [from.. The Netherlands.. we know how it's done - thank you] and X-factor USA will proof my point that Idol is over and done.

Let’s all leave it like the dead body of C-music it is

• Jools says:

Amen brother ReMMeZ. Preach it! I agree.

• sneakin says:

So how do you REALLY feel ReMMeZ?

• Buggys says:

But you still tune in and leave your comments?

• KindredSpoof says:

LOL Scotty winning this thing would mos def be the end of this cartoon graveyard show.

• fairlady says:

If you wanted Casey to win, why did you not vote for him????
        I will vote for the most distinctive voice in the competition, no matter if he sings country or rock or ….

• ReMMeZ says:

Good point @ Fair Lady: Unfortunately i can’t vote.. I’m living in the Netherlands. If i could i would have split the votes for Casey and Pia..

@Buggys: I love this blog however. And love the way Slezak does his thing. So even if i would never watch idol again.. I would still come here and watch idoloonies + read the recaps.

And that @ Sneakin is how i really feal.

Peace

• Andie says:

You stopped watching when Casey got out? Oh, I haven’t seen it since Casey got out either! Oh wait, that’s because it hasn’t aired since he got out.

• School says:

Technically Speaking : We all stopped watching after Casey got out – some will never watch again, others might.

2. oriharakaoru says:

Remember before the season started how the producers were going on and on about having an original songs night? What ever happened to that? Gone the same way as “decade theme nights”?

3. Malcolm says:

Mr. Slezak, you write the most interesting reviews and have the most interesting ideas, but….James and Pink??? Really? I’m not sure I see that turning out to be something great, but maybe I’m wrong.

4. Aimee says:

Scotty should do Lady Gaga’s country version of Born This Way and Haley should do Yael Naim’s cover of Britney’s Toxic.

5. Emily says:

Haley – Florence+the Machines “Dog Days are Over” (now) and Otis Redding “I’ve Been Loving You Too Long” (then)

Lauren – Taylor Swift “Mean” or The Band Perry “You Lie” (now) Patsy Cline “Crazy” (then)

Scotty – The Script “For the First Time”(now) and Roy Orbison “Crying”(then) with just a guitar.

James – My Chemical Romance “Welcome to the Black Parade” (now) and The Rolling Stones “Sympathy For The Devil”

• Sarah says:

Haley singing Otis Redding = genius idea.

…I always get really disappointed reading these dream set lists, and then watching what the contestants actually choose. sigh.

• Steph says:

I was coming up with my list for another idol site and we have a few of the same/similar ideas!

Haley:
      Now- Dog Days Are Over by Florence and the Machine
      Then- These Arms Of Mine by Otis Redding (http://youtu.be/K-FQL-tJ3ic) <– She would be amazing at this!!

Lauren:
      Now- Run by Snow Patrol
      Then- Crazy by Patsy Cline

James:
      Now- Poker Face by Lady Gaga
      Then- Helter Skelter by the Beatles

Scotty:
      He can just find a couple of songs with the word 'country' in the title lol

Jacob:
      IDC… the last time they did current songs I thought that Beyonce Single Ladies would be amazeballs for him, especially with the dance and a leotard.

• Emily says:

Great minds think alike… haha. I love you choices also.
        -I feel the same about Jacob. I just don’t care. It will sound like he’s about to burst into tears anyway. He’s good for gospel but I’m not sure that he is what the general public would want to listen to all the time after idol is over. But if you did bust out into Single Ladies in a leotard I would probably start voting for him.
        -Scotty could do something great but I think the producers are not letting him stray to far from what he has been doing. So I don’t think we will get an Idol moment. But I sure hope he does have an idol MOMENT!

• Maggie says:

Thank you for introducing me to the word “amazeballs”. I can’t wait to work it into a conversation!

• NedPepper says:

Haley singing Florence + The Machine? Yes! Her “then” should be a bluesy take on anything by Patsy Cline.

I don’t really care what the rest sing. The only other person I’d be happy winning is James. Haley for the win!

• amie says:

See I think Haley would be amazing with Dog Days but again its like Adele, its hard to out sing Florence and she would just end up being a comparison instead of making it her own.

• Templar says:

Why do people keep suggesting Roy Orbison songs for Scotty? Most Orbison songs are lilting pieces written specifically for a tenor. A baritone [Elvis, Sinatra] would struggle, but for a bass as Scotty is, it would be suicide. All I can figure from these suggestions is sabotage.

• Lily says:

I wondered about that too! I find Scotty to be one of the hardest to choose for because he always needs a deep-voiced song with no high notes. The one Roy Orbison choice which was suggested that I could maybe see working for Scotty is King of the Road. But I don’t think Scotty has that much range at all compared to Roy Orbison – or am I wrong about that?

• Alex says:

Oooo Sinatra for Scotty’s 60s number, that could work.

• rw says:

Lauren should do Janis Ian’s “at seventeen” as her then

• Templar says:

“At Seventeen’ is ineligible as it was recorded in the 1970’s and the then song has to be 60’s.

6. Brandy says:

I really would like to see Lauren to turn it a notch and sing “the house that built me” from miranda lambert or a Martina Mcbride “broken Wing”

7. OliversMom says:

Okay, this is a tuffy.
    What constitutes NOW? 2011 or in the last few years?

Haley: My Life Would Suck Without You by Kelly Clarkson
    / Moondance by Van Morrison
    Lauren: Get The Party Started by Pink
    / Where The Boys Are by Connie Francis
    Scotty: Kiss A Girl by Keith Urban / Crying by Roy Orbison
    James: Use Somebody by Kings of Leon / Because by The Dave Clark 5
    Jacob: Hey Ya by Outkast /Town Without Pity by Gene Pitney

• Media Ho says:

Mostly good choices, but my head would explode if the Lusky Stank were applied to one of my favorite oldies, “Town Without Pity”! Let’s substitute “Lola” — it’s from the ’60s and its sexually ambiguous — perfect!

8. OliversMom says:

Okay, this is a toughy.
    What constitutes NOW? 2011 or in the last few years?

Haley: My Life Would Suck Without You by Kelly Clarkson
    / Moondance by Van Morrison
    Lauren: Get The Party Started by Pink
    / Where The Boys Are by Connie Francis
    Scotty: Kiss A Girl by Keith Urban / Crying by Roy Orbison
    James: Use Somebody by Kings of Leon / Because by The Dave Clark 5
    Jacob: Hey Ya by Outkast /Town Without Pity by Gene Pitney

9. aimee says:

Wow, I never comment after reading any of these blogs or recaps, but Haley singing “Dream A Little Dream” would be utterly fantastic! Now if she doesn’t sing that I will probably be disappointed.

• jules says:

Haley singing ‘Dream a Little Dream’ would almost guarantee an “Idol” moment…

• Templar says:

Dream A Little Dream” is from the 1930’s!

• darcy's evil twin says:

But it was covered by Mama Cass (Cass Elliot) in the 60s.
          Kind of like Scotty sang “Swingin'” – it was released in the early 80s but apparently Leann Rimes covered it last year. Scotty sang it the week they had to do songs from the 21st century.

• NedPepper says:

Forget my Patsy Cline suggestion. She could actually have a moment singing Dream A Little Dream. (That is if the judges don’t bury her per Uncle Nigel…sigh….)

• darcy's evil twin says:

“Dream a Little Dream of Me” is an oldie but goodie that lends itself to all sorts of interpretations. It would be a wonderful song for Haley.

RIP Mama Cass. :-(

10. Cat says:

Michael, GREAT pics for Haley! “Dream a Little Dream of Me” and “Words of Love” have been on my Idol wishlist for ten seasons now!

11. Caroline says:

Don’t even think about James doing a Pink song. I don’t want to hear the “Adam did a Pink song he now owns Pink and so James is just copying him” garbage. Did you hear James added four inches to his height so he could be 6’2″, just like Adam? I hear he was also a girl but had himself surgically altered. [Shuffles away grumbling incoherently to self...]

• SajiNoKami says:

James + Pink = could be interesting, sadly people, actually more like Glamberts, would say he is copying Adam. Not much you can do about it. I would like James to do Precious by Depeche Mode… but it is from 2005, so not too current.

• Alex says:

No to Pink for James! For current I suggest either 30 Seconds to Mars or Linkin Park. For 60s Lead Zeppelin or Jimi Hendrix.

• Laura says:

Closer to the Edge would be a fantastic choice for now, and he could do My Chemical Romance’s version of “Desolation Row” for the “oldie.”

• Dyana says:

Last week James asked whether there are any 30STM fans who’s following him on twitter. He might be singing a 30STM song…..
        fingers cross

12. RTW says:

Imagine the possibilities if James sang David Bowie’s “Space Oddity” (November 4, 1969)!

13. Katie B. says:

I’d really like to see Haley do Help by The Beatles, just because no matter, what she picks the judges and producers have decided to be rude. I’d like a subtle plea/ STFU to the judges from her.

Vocally, she should do Monday, Monday by the Mamas and the Papas: it’s never been done before on idol, I believe.

For current: Again, time to play this week. I’d love to hear a jazzed up, slap bass version of Breakeven by the Script. Or to really, push it, Just the Way You Are- Bruno Mars, piano only.

I love her…love her.

14. Alysha says:

Haley should sing The Cranberries “Zombie” – even though it was a 90s song. She would do that PERFECTLY.

15. darclyte says:

Interesting idea. I wish it was “recent” and “older” so that as opposed to a current song (which is often a problem if it’s still on the radio) that they could perform something within the last 5 years or so, and instead of the 60s, anything from the 90s or earlier. But, it is what it is so here are my suggestions.

Haley: [Now] Come Alive (The War of the Roses) by Janelle Monae, [Then] Try a Little Tenderness by Otis Redding

James: [Now] Say You’ll Haunt Me by Stone Sour, [Then] Somebody To Love OR White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane

Lauren: [Now] There Will Be Tears by Miranda Cosgrove OR Born This Way (the Country remix) by Lady Gaga, [Then] Crazy by Patsy Cline

Scotty: [Now] Live a Little by Kenny Chesney, [Then] Only The Lonely by Roy Orbison

Jacob: [Now] Love Letter by R Kelly, [Then] Stand By Me by Ben E. King

• Dani C says:

curses, you stole my pick for James…i am dying!!! to hear him sing white rabbit!!

• SajiNoKami says:

Oh hell yeah! White Rabbit.

James has got enough drama in his voice to make this work.

[now well 2005] Precious by Depeche Mode

• darclyte says:

I had wanted to give James a Depeche Mode song, but their last album came out 2 years ago so I don’t think it qualifies as “now.” I tried to give songs currently on the charts or released within the past year. I’d LOVE to hear him sing, “Somebody.”

• Snsetblaze says:

I’m guessing that the lyrics on White Rabbit would not pass the Idol – we must only do “family friendly” songs (aka inspirational songs) dictum.

16. Douglas Hall says:

But what’s Pia Toscano singing? Oh that’s right, she is too busy in the studio working on her first album. That would be the album that will CRUSH whatever recording the eventual winner of AI circa 2011 comes out with.

• Dave says:

CRUSH? Not. Let’s meet here in a year and see if your prediction comes true cause I’m betting not.a.chance.

• tekkie says:

I’m with you Dave…not a chance. I don’t see a recycled Celine wannabe making waves with a generation of instant gratification junkies hooked on autotune.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Maybe not, but the same people that bought the Susan Boyle album – excuse me, CD, and who like Michael Buble, will buy Pia’s CD.

17. Lily says:

Jacob – Oh Happy Day (The Edwin Hawkins Singers)
    I Give Myself Away (William McDowell)

James – Love Me Two Times (The Doors)
    Country Song (Seether)

Lauren – Many Rivers to Cross (Jimmy Cliff)
    Without You (Keith Urban)

Haley – I Fall to Pieces (Patsy Cline)
    Perfect (Pink)

Scotty – Suspicious Minds (Elvis Presley)
    Old Alabama (Brad Paisley)

I picked gospel songs for Jacob – if Lauren and Scotty get to sing country all the time and James gets to sing heavy metal, then why not let Jacob sing gospel? Although I was really tempted to give him Lady Gaga’s Born this Way, that could be interesting.

• Yo says:

That suggestion for Jacob is fantastic! He should go gospel if he wants to stick around; sadly, I would rather he didn’t. :-)

18. cinge says:

I can’t believe these are the top 5. Blech. What a crappy ending to a semi-crappy season. The only interesting one was Casey who, will do much better without the american idol brand on him anyhow. But man will this show be boring from here on in.

• Teena says:

I just want to know who keeps voting for Jacob Lusk? Any Idol forum that I have seen can’t stomach the guy. He must have a major home base.

19. insomniac says:

Haley – (then) Respect (cuz she’s not getting any) by Aretha Franklin or It’s in his kiss (nod to Casey?) by Betty Everett. (Now) F’ing perfect by P!nk (stripped down, it would be awesome!!).
    Jacob – (then) Under the Boardwalk by the Drifters (would fit his voice). (Now) Forget You – Cee-lo (fun!). James – (then) break on through by the Doors. (Now) What I’ve Done – Linkin Park. Lauren – (then) I fall to pieces by Patsy Cline. (Now) Settlin’ by Sugarland. Scotty – (then) Oh, Pretty woman – Roy Orbison or King of the Road – Roger Miller, (now) Troubador by George Strait.

• SajiNoKami says:

I have to admit, would really like to hear James sing some Linkin Park. It would be interesting to see if Scotty could make a Linkin Park song work too.

• Alex says:

There’s no way Scotty can pull off Linkin Park, impossible! But I would love to hear James sing one of their songs, quite frankly this is a perfect match for his voice & range.

20. Jamie says:

Can totally see James doing “Summer in the City”–nice pick Michael!

• darcy's evil twin says:

That’s the only choice I agree with!

• darcy's evil twin says:

OOPS – I forgot, I LOVE “Dream a Little Dream of Me” for Haley!

• Templar says:

Scotty screwed with the rules by singing “Swingin'” when it was actually an old song. And that was BS. It shouldn’t have been allowed. Does that mean that any song from any year is eligible for Now just because someone somewhere covered it recently? Again, BS. “Dream A Little Dream’ was covered in the 60’s, but was first recorded by Ricky Nelson’s father Ozzie Nelson in 1932! Why even bother with themes? Just let them sing whatever the h**l they want.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Wow, Templar, you are crabby! But thanks, I didn’t know Ozzie Nelson recorded “Dream a Little Dream of Me”.

• GeeGeeDub says:

I believe contestants are given a list of approved songs from which to choose. If anyone is to blame for “Swingin'”, it’s the producers.

21. Sophie says:

You are such a freak Slezak. What were you on when you came up with these selections? Whatever it was, I want some.

Made me laugh! :-)

I was thinking the same thing, Sophie, but I was trying to be polite.

“It Must Be Him” by Vicki Carr? Holy crap, that is one of the worst songs ever!

22. thevisitor967 says:

James should do Time Bomb by Dave Mathews Band and an acoustic version of Mr. Tambourine Man. Scotty or Lauren should do something by Jack Johnson–maybe You And Your Heart. Haley should do something by Bruno Mars–maybe Grenade or Just The Way You Are. I really don’t care what Jacob does.

23. fr says:

Yawn. Wake me when the Voice is on, that’s an actual singing competition.

• tamara says:

I loved, loved, looooved The Voice!!!
      I kinda hope the 4 coached do a song as an opening number in every show, at least while the auditions last. It was great.

I gotta say, I don’t like Blake Shelton’s music, he’s too country, but damn he’s so hot!!!
      Even if the show was bad I would watch it just for Blake and Adam alone.

24. tamara says:

sorry Michael, but I never like you picks. Very weird choices.
    The only one that would be ok would be Dream a little dream of me for Haley.
    But overall, what the heck Slezak??

Well, we’ll see on Wednesday with what they surprise us.

My choices for Haley are:

now— Valentino, by Diane Birch. I think it fits her perfectly. I even picture her doing the type of music Diane does.

then— Crazy, by Patsy Cline. Or as you suggested, Dream A Little Dream of Me.

25. faz says:

So exactly how is Uncle Cracker’s “Smile” a current song?

26. Jay says:

Limiting myself just to songs that hit #1 in the 1960s:

Haley should do Harper Valley PTA

Jacob could do Everyday People

James could do Happy Together

Lauren could sing Reflections

Scotty could sing Wichita Lineman

• darcy's evil twin says:

Jay, I like those choices. I can’t say I can see Lauren singing “Reflections” due to her age, but hey, I’d be willing to give it a whirl.

27. Dani C says:

Fantastic picks this week Mr. Slezak; especially love Haley singing Dream a Little Dream.
    Here are my choices:
    Haley: Patsy Cline’s “He Called Me Baby” then and Rilo Kiley’s “I Never” now
    James: Jimi Hendrix version of “All Along the Watchtower” then and Metallicas’s “King Nothing” now
    Scotty: The Byrds “Satisfied Mind” then and Johnny Cash’s version of “Rusty Cage” now
    Lauren: Dusty Springfield’s “Son of a Preacher Man” then and Taylor Swift’s “White Horse” now
    Jacob: The Temptation’s “The Way You Do the Things You Do” then and Outkast’s “The Whole World” now
    Some of these could be EPIC…in my humble opinion. :)

• Alysha says:

Yes I was thinking either Rilo Kiley or Regina Spektor (Better or On The Radio) for Haley since she won’t be able to Zombie…. So sad.

• Dave says:

Son of a Preacher Man for Lauren… are you trying to set her up? LOL Seriously tho, that song has to be sung by someone who is all woman, like dusty springfield was… and Lauren is a lotta things, but a woman she is not… yet.

28. Blair says:

Admittedly, I haven’t thought too much about what the others will or should sing for this week’s theme. Not that I don’t care, ’cause I do like at least one other contestant (maybe I’ll be in the process of thinking about what I think she should do later), but I would love love love if James Durbin would do as his [now] song: “Wither” by Dream Theater. It is one of my favorite DT songs, and I think he could pull it off. If he did, he could truly have an AI moment. So, James, dude, …just a suggestion.

• Alex says:

Dream Theater is a great suggestion for James but there’s no way the AI band will be able to play it. They’ll have to rope in a real guitarist for him to do them justice.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Well, they brought in Zakk Wylde for James’ “Heavy Metal” performance, so who knows?

• Blair says:

Oh, and it just came to me what song James should do for his [then] song: “Fire” by Arthur Brown. That would be perfect. If he did the job I know he could do, he could “burn” the competition. :)

29. MarkW says:

I would love to hear James sing Heaven on Their Minds from Jesus Christ Superstar, was hoping he’d pick it in Movies week, and it seems it falls one year out of contention here. (1970) written in the sixties, though. ;)

As long as I’m talking about songs that cant happen: Haley singing What’s Up by 4 Non Blondes, anyone?

• Dani C says:

4 Non Blondes….Love it! Some really great choices on this board tonight!

• Faz says:

Ok song — but again — how is that a current song?

• Alysha says:

Oh yes! I love “What’s Up” I thought I was the only one who knew that song!! Lol. And to add to another song that couldn’t happen Alanis Morissette’s “You Oughta Know” Haley could kill it with that song too.

30. Amie says:

Would Amy Winehouse’s Valerie work for Haley? I keep hearing these great songs and I just want to hear how Haley would tackle them.

31. Zach says:

NEWS ABOUT HALEYS SONG CHOICE!! ~~~*~*~*~ :O:)

It was confirmed last week the haley has chosen Shes not there by the zombies and either Vegas by Sarah Bereilles or Warwick Avenue by duffy. This was confirmed on twitter

• Templar says:

Rats! I really wanted Haley to do “You Don’t Own Me’ by Lesley Gore [old], but I’d be just as happy for Lauren to do it.

• Hmmm... says:

This is a rumor not fact. Source is questionable.

BTW, She probably has a huge repertoire of songs from the 60s — her parents are in a 60s/70s cover band. But Mama Cass, Etta James, Dusty Springfield, and the Beatles are all good bets.

At Last and Son of a Preacher Man are the most obvious bets.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I think “Son of a Preacher Man” is on Slezaks’ list of songs that should never be sung on Idol again. But if Haley could do a good job on that song it would be amazing.

• Hmmm... says:

Son of a Preacher Man – there’s video floating around of her singing it and it’s pretty close to Dusty’s version. Saw nothing special that cause a major impact, but it was at an event where they were background music. So, would probably be only an “ok” choice unless she really changes it up.

There’s also video of her doing “At Last” and there she would have the impact of hitting the first low notes; the rest she would have to bring it.

• tomitweets says:

Ooohhhhh those are GOOD PICKS for her it if is true!

32. Ivan says:

to the person who suggested yael naim’s version of toxic, I HAVE BEEN WANTING HALEY TO DO THAT FOR SO LONG YOU DONT EVEN KNOW.

33. darcy's evil twin says:

Oh, Sleazak, For Lauren in the “Then” category, you wrote – “Cher’s “Bang Bang” or Vikki Carr’s “It Must Be Him” or the Crystals “Then He Kissed Me” (put a country twist on any of these camp classics, and Lauren might get a performance worthy of her early hype)”

Oh, dear, I think I need a drink. How in the world did you come up with those stinkers? (Okay, “Then He Kissed Me” is tolerable). I had completely forgotten about “It Must Be Him” until I heard it on the satellite radio a couple of weeks ago.

• Dave says:

haley: dream a little dream of me.. yes

son of a preacher man… yes

it must be him — please God noooooooooooooooooooo

^What Dave Said.

• claudia says:

Dream a Little Dream was written in 1931 & was recorded by Louis Armstrong & then later Doris Day. Mama Cass did record it in 1968. Is that enough to make it a 60’s song? I don’t know the rules so IDK.

I think from now on, in order to stay in, Haley needs to sing only songs that have an impact, not sweet little songs like Dream.

• Templar says:

That’s why i think “You Don’t Own Me” is the perfect 60’s song for Haley. And most people will know it because it was used in First Wives’ Club.

• Pop Vulture says:

Errrrr, sure. That’s why most people will know it.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I like “You Don’t Own Me” for Haley. It would give her the chance to show off her vocal range. The song has quieter sections as well as more powerful sections, giving her a chance to show off her vocal chops. She could also do a more bluesy arrangement and yes, the fact that it was used in a more current movie would mean more people would recognize the song.

34. Brenda says:

Would like to hear Haley tackle “you know that i’m no good” by amy winehouse, tho the judges would probably use it as an excuse to rip her to shreds as usual.

• Billy says:

You mean Randy the Idiot, right?
      Jennifer has damned her with faint praise a couple of times, but never “ripped her to shreds” and Steven has consistently given gushing (“You. Sing. Sexy.”) remarks about her performances.

Voting for Haley FTW!

35. Idolhead Ed says:

And I get accused of having a pro Haley website. I guess I’m not the only one who likes her.”Dream a Little Dream” would be……..a dream.

36. darcy's evil twin says:

Okay, now I’m on a mission – I just can’t believe some of the suggestions Slezak came up with. I love you Slezak, but I am going to come up with songs that are WORSE than your suggestions. Game on!

Because I’m old, I can’t come up with much new stuff. Besides, 95% of the new stuff is crap so it’s like shooting fish in a barrel, but I can by golly come up with some bad OLD songs!
    Here we go….

For Scotty – “Honey” by Bobby Goldsboro and “Achy Breaky Heart” by Billy Ray Cyrus

For James – “DOA” by Bloodrock and “Billy Don’t Be a Hero” by Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods

For Jacob – “Patches” by Dickie Lee and “Feelings” by Morris Albert

For Lauren – “I’ve Never Been to Me” by Charlene and “Muskrat Love” by America. For that matter, anything by America is awful.

For Haley – “Dominique” by The Singing Nun and “MacArthur Park” by Richard Harris. If Haley can get through “MacArthur Park” without laughing about leaving that doggone cake out in the rain, just hand her the American Idol crown and call it good.

Group numbers –
    “Wannabe” by the Spice Girls (Haley, Lauren, and Jacob)
    “Timothy” by The Buoys (James and Scotty)

• GinaBallerina says:

Re: “MacArthur Park,” it’s funny you should write that. Carrie Underwood sang that in her season and to this day, I will occasionally wonder “What WAS that crazy song she sang about a cake?” and “Who let her sing that?” and just plain “WHY?” So many unanswered questions in life! At least I know the answer to the first one now, thanks.

• John says:

Wasn’t Muskrat Love by Captain & Tenille? Holy Ess I’m old.

• Blair says:

it was actually done by BOTH America and Captain & Tenille. I’ll admit I’m a little more partial to the America version, however.

• darcy's evil twin says:

to GinaBallerina – the fact that Carrie Underwood sang “MacArthur Park” on Idol AND went on to win is one of the great mysteries of life – right up there with The Virgin Birth and “Who DID let the dogs out?” I think someone at Idol that wanted Bo Bice to win told Carrie, “Here – sing MacArthur park! everyone will LOVE it!” Heck, maybe Haley SHOULD sing “MacArthur Park”.

to John – Yes, the Captain and Tennille recorded “Muskrat Love” and yes, you’re old. ;-0
      “Muskrat Love” was written by Willis Alan Ramsey and was on an album he released – it was called “Muskrat Love”, or maybe “Muskrat Candlelight”. America actually covered it first, in about 1973. The Captain and Tennille covered it a few years later and that’s the most famous version. Well, who knew TWO groups would want to record that song? America (the group) must have really liked it because it’s on half a dozen of their stinkeroo albums where “Muskrat Susie and Muskrat Sam do a jitterbug down in muskrat land” along with alligator lizards in the air and horses with no name. The drugs were really good in the 70s!

And in the name of everything holy, why was AM radio, which was targeted at kids, playing “Timothy” and “DOA”? I don’t think my parents were paying attention to what was coming out of that little 9-volt transistor radio! My husband and I laugh to this day about “Timothy” but for some reason he doesn’t remember “DOA”.

• Blair says:

lol @darcy’s evil twin. Scotty should do: “Watching Scotty Grow” by Bobby Goldsboro! That would be hilarious!

• darcy's evil twin says:

OH Lord, I’d forgotten about “Watching Scotty Grow”. That’s funny right there. Seems as though there are more people than just me that remember the bad music of the 60s and 70s.

And Blair – I can’t believe anyone likes ANY version of “Muskrat Love”. Yikes!

• Blair says:

lol ..true that, darcy. I guess what I’m saying is I think America’s version is the lesser of two “evils”?? :)

• Templar says:

Darcy: How in the world is “I’ve Never Been To me” appropriate for a 16 year old girl? The lyric “I’ve been undressed by kings and I’ve seen some things that a woman ain’t s’posed to see” is Ok for Lauren? How about ” I moved like Harlow in Monte Carlo and showed em what I’ve got’ What are you thinking?

37. Petra says:

The one I care about this week is Haley Reinhart. TPTB do not want her in the Top 4. I’ll still vote for her, but the band ruined her pimp spot song, and two weeks running she is “taken to safety” right away I think to lull voters.
    This might be her last week, I’d like her to go with a “moment”, and exclaimation point of how good she is.

Songs from then:

Cass Eliot “Dream a Dream”.
    Kathy Young “A Thousand Stars in The Sky”
    Patsy Cline “I Fall to Pieces”

(I hoped all last year Siobhan Magnus would try for “1,000 Stars”, didn’t happen. Haley can probably sing it better.)

Songs from now:
    Pink “F*cking Perfect”

I also care a little about James and Scotty, who will likely be the Finalists. Both are fine guys.
    My only suggestions are for Scotty
    For recent, to do Kenny Rogers “Superman”..
    For past, why not go real in the past to Roy Acuff’s “Wabash Cannonball?”

38. finbar says:

For the 60s– I would love to see Haley do Ella/Frank’s version of Mack the Knife and imitate Scotty and James where they imitated Louie and Bobby. 2nd Choice– Someone to Love or White Rabbit by jefferson Airplane

Lauren-She should try to out-Janis Haley with Country Janis and Me and Bobby McGee or Arettha Respect or Think

Scotty- If he’s lazy, do King of the Hill, if a bit less lazy he could try Everybody Loves Somebody Sometimes..

James Break on Through- Doors or Gimme Shelter Ones

Jacob- I Feel Good James Brown, or Cant Take My Eyes off of You

39. Holly says:

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the idea of Hayley doing The Mamas and Papas! Inspired! Now we can only hope….

40. houster says:

Song Suggestions for 60’s/Current Night:

60’s:

Lauren: I Will Follow Him, Little Peggy March; Son Of A Preacher Man, Dusty Springfield; Leader Of The Pack, Shangri-Las; And Then He Kissed Me, The Crystals

Haley: She’s (He’s) Not There, The Zombies; Hello, Stranger, Barbara Lewis; I Only Want To Be With You, Dusty Springfield

Jacob: Sittin’ At The Dock Of The Bay, Otis Redding; Knock On Wood, Eddie Floyd or Amii Stewart; This Ol’ Heart Of Mine, Isley Brothers; Shotgun, Edwin Starr

James: Born To Be Wild, Steppenwolf; Mony Mony, Tommy James And The Shondelles; Hang On Sloopy, The McCoys (Rick Derringer); Helter Skelter, The Beatles

Scotty: You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feelin’, Righteous Brothers; Baby I Need Your Lovin’, Johnny Rivers; Everybody’s Talkin, Harry Nilsson; Wichita Lineman, Glen Campbell

Current:

Lauren: If I Were A Boy, Reba McEntire; You Lie, The Band Perry; Heart Like Mine, Miranda Lambert

Haley: Ooh La La (Paris), Grace Potter and The Nocturnals; Raise Your Glass, Pink; Price Tag, Jessie J

Jacob: Higher, Taio Cruz; Born This Way, Lady Gaga (c’mon, go out with a bang!)

James: Just The Way You Are, Bruno Mars; Country Song, Seether; Changing, Airborne Toxic Event; Shake Me Down, Cage The Elephant

Scotty: This Is Country Music, Brad Paisley; Someone Else Calling You Baby, Luke Bryan; What Do You Want, Jerrod Niemann; The Shape I’m In, Joe Nichols

41. shari says:

Face it Scotty would blow the house away if he sang For Ever and Ever Amen by Randy Travis He has enough cheese in him to pull it off. My other choice In the Ghetto by Elvis. Dark stage a simple arrangement. Lauren should sing something of Taylor Swift. She has more range and could change it up enough to make it interesting. James needs one rock and one ballad to show off his voice and keep his rock audience. Face it Jacob is in there because he is getting all of the R&B vote. Not because he is so much better than the others. Haley’s fate is going to be song choice. Haley how about Landslide by Stevie NIcks. Cut back on the growl and sing it simple with guitar. Slow and dramatic without much dancing. I still want to hear James do Only Women Bleed by Alice Cooper. It starts out soft and can end huge. I would love to hear Haley do Dear Mr. President by Pink but it isn’t ever happening on the Idol stage.

42. RD says:

Oh God.Two songs each from Jacob and Scotty.I’m not sure that I can take it……

• Ken Adams says:

I’m with you on this one. I’d rather have a lobotomy than sit through two numbers by those two (although this might be the week the judges wake up and ask Scotty after his second number if he’s already sang that song before… “Didn’t you JUST sing that? Before the break? No?”)

• Templar says:

I’d rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Hey, that was a country song!

RD and Ken Adams, you are weenies. Fix a stiff cocktail and enjoy!

And Ken – made me laugh! :-)

43. lida says:

So totally agree!!!he should do ‘attack’ or ‘the kill’by 30STm

44. lida says:

I meant james…

45. Pop Vulture says:

If we must hear Jacob sing, I’d like to hear him try “Forget You” by Cee-Lo. I think maybe it wouldn’t be as bad as his normal stuff.

46. Fernando says:

Lauren: then — “Stand by Your Man,” Tammy Wynette (big effing notes in this one); now — “Mercy,” Duffy

Scotty: then — “Mama’s Hungry Eyes,” Merle Haggard; now– “Don’t Think Twice, It’s All Right,” (Randy Travis cover of Bob Dylan)

Haley: then –“You Don’t Have to Say You Love Me,” Dusty Springfield or “Stars Fell on Alabma,” Rick Nelson; now — “Warwicke Avenue,” Duffy, or “Stars Fell on Alabama,” Renee Olstead.

James: then — “Hello, Marylou,” Rick Nelson, or “It’s a Man’s World,” James Brown. Now — ??? Maybe “All Summer Long,” Kid Rock.

Jacob: then — “Baby, I Need Your Lovin’,” Four Tops, Johnny Rivers, or “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough,” Marvin Gaye; now — ???

47. Jessica R says:

I would love Haley to sing “Electric Feel” by MGMT, or an Acoustic version of “Poker face”, and “Son Of a Preacher Man”.

48. donna says:

I like the Mamas and Papas idea for Haley. And for James either Kinks or Spencer Davis. Jacob wouldn’t do it justice. And Ode To Billy Joe may not translate well into the 1:30 min format, the story will get lost and seem weird to the 11 year old texters. Will James attempt Cream, Yardbirds, Hendrix??? I’m sure he’d do them justice. How about White Rabbit? No Lauren should do that. It would either give her massive credibility or be her doom. I don’t care what Scotty sings – it all sounds the same.