TVLine Items: MTV Awards Tap Sudeikis, Aqua Teen's New Name, and More TV News to Know

Saturday Night Live funnyman Jason Sudeikis has scored the coveted hosting spot for this year’s MTV Movie Awards.

Following in the footsteps of former SNLers Mike Myers, Jimmy Fallon and Andy Samberg, Sudeikis will take the MTV Movie Awards stage on Sunday, June 5 to hand out the Golden Popcorn to Hollywood’s movie elite… and probably, somehow the Jersey Shore cast. Ryan Seacrest revealed the hosting scoop Wednesday morning on his radio show.

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

• After 11 years of animated adventures, Adult Swim’s Aqua Teen Hunger Force has come to an end… kind of. On Sunday, May 8, the show (and its tasty crew) will begin anew as Aqua Unit Patrol Squad 1, in the hopes of getting the series back to its original vision — talking, mystery-solving food. Meatwad can be seen making the announcement here.

• Following weeks of speculation, Katie Couric has confirmed her CBS Evening News exit. “In making the decision to move on, I know the Evening News will be in great hands,” Couric told People, “but I am excited about the future.”A future that, she says, is “still being discussed.”

• And ABC’s soap woes continue…The children of General Hospital creators Frank and Doris Hursley are suing the network on behalf of their parents’ estate, TMZ reports. The lawsuit claims that ABC has failed to honor the Hursley’s longtime agreement to reap 10 percent of all profits from the show’s syndication.

• Speaking of soaps, Deadline is reporting that Sony TV president Steve Mosko is working hard to bring some of your faves from the canceled All My Children and One Life to Live to The Young and The Restless and Days of Our Lives. Thus far, Jacob Young, Debbi Morgan, Gina Tognoni and Josh Kelly‘s names are being thrown around.

Ving Rhames (Pulp Fiction) has nabbed the lead in Comedy Central’s Black Jack pilot, says Deadline. Rhames will play the title character, a badass special-ops agent who finally goes too far and is axed by the U.S. government.

• Spike TV has ordered a third season of college football comedy Blue Mountain State, with Denise Richards remaining on the cast.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

Comments (7)

• I can’t really say that I can see Ving Rhames in a comedic role…

Comment by Jason – April 27, 2011 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Have you not seen “Chuck & Larry”? He was probably one of the funniest parts in the film.

Comment by jared – April 27, 2011 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It comes as a shock to me that Aqua Teen Hunger Force is still on the air. I had always assumed they ended the series after the not-very-good movie they released. Plus there was that weird live action episode that I didn’t care for. I think that’s the last episode of the show I remember seeing. It was a pretty good cartoon in its heyday. Not sure why it went downhill so badly.

I’m glad to see the soap actors getting work, but it’s not going to make me start watching Y&R or Days. I want my regular soaps kept on the air. If they really are truly canceled forever, then my DVR is done recording soaps, I guess.

Comment by Amber – April 27, 2011 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not so sure that the ATHF announcement isn’t just a publicity stunt. I see it as the first episode of the new season only. The original vision of the show? It was never about solving crimes, with the exception of maybe the very first episode “Rabbot”.

Comment by topoopon – April 27, 2011 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Score for BMS coming back for a 3rd season!! I absolutely love that show. Also love ATHF, so yay for that, too!!

Comment by rachelle – April 27, 2011 05:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watch Adult Swim almost every night, but I change the channel when ATHF or Squidbillies come on. I’ve never understood what anyone sees in them. I’d rather see more American Dad, Family Guy, or Robot Chicken repeats.

Comment by DonMI – April 27, 2011 11:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Huh? Two of the three shows you mention aren’t truly Adult Swim shows, they’re just shown during Adult Swim. Granted, ATHF has outlived its normal lifespan, but it at least follows the “quirky and different” original concept of Adult Swim. You can catch those other two shows on Fox’s Crap-im-ation Sundays any time.

Comment by Bob – April 28, 2011 06:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post