Demi Lovato Exits Disney Series: 'I Don't Think It Would Be Healthy for My Recovery'

As speculated, given the seriousness of her recent personal ordeals, Demi Lovato has decided not to return to her starring role on the Disney Channel comedy Sonny With a Chance.

“I don’t think going back to Sonny would be healthy for my recovery,” the actress/singer tells People. “Being in front of a camera would make me nervous.”

Lovato, 18, dropped out of a tour with the Jonas Brothers last October to enter a treatment program to address “emotional and physical issues she has dealt with for some time,” her rep said at the time. The starlet has since revealed that she has battle an eating disorder since age 8, been a “cutter” since 11, and hit a backup dancer on the aforementioned tour, prompting her decision to seek treatment.

“It’s kind of sad for me that a chapter of my life has ended,” Lovato says of leaving Sonny, “but there couldn’t be a better time for me to move on.”

Disney Channel’s response is a nurturing one. “We respect Demi’s decision to focus full-time on her music and not immediately return to her acting career,” the cabler said in a statement. “She is a talented young woman and our hearts are with her as she continues to take action to improve her health and bounce back from adversity.”

In Lovato’s absence, Sonny With a Chance — which starred the Disney teen queen as Midwest lass-gone-Hollywood Sonny Munroe — will be rejiggered as a sketch comedy program titled So Random!, to premiere in June.

Do you commend Lovato’s awareness to know how much is too much and, unlike some of today’s young stars, not burn the candle at both ends?

1. Garnet_and_Gold47 says:

As an 18 year old normal female, I understand the pressures life can hold. It must be more intense for someone in the lime light. The issues faced by Demi Lovato are serious and happen a lot in the real world. I think the fact that she is getting help for herself is very respectable. The fact that she has to do it while the country watches makes it that much harder. Kudos Demi Lovato!

• ByeJustin says:

Could she take Justin Bieber with her?

• madonna says:

I really think she should take him with her. He is so truly full of himself. He doesn’t even have the looks to get him anywhere. He needed help dancing, what next walking. I LOVE JUSTIN BIEBER BUT HE IS TOO FULL OF HIMSELF. I WOULD MARRY HIM EVEN BUT JUST GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER. PLEASE DUDE. No offence.

• Bob says:

Not to be too PC on you, but try using “typical” next time instead of “normal”. The opposite of normal is “abnormal”, which doesn’t do much for the affected person’s self esteem.

2. Kim says:

I think that it is good that she is seeking help. My youngest daughter loves her music and loved seeking her on Disney. I think that the show can go on without her but “it won’t be the same, mommy”… words from my little girl.

• lorna says:

Best of luck to her, but her show was terrible.

• KonaKathie says:

I can’t believe the criticism here of a girl who is being mature enough to DO THE RIGHT THING. So just because she wanted an acting career she’s a whiner when the pressure got to be overwhelming? I’d like to see some of you haters handle it. Oh, and at age 11, too.

3. Kim says:

Another spoiled rich girl that had it all and now is too stressed. Oh, please!

• Really Kim? says:

Jealous much? Or just straight up catty?

• Kim says:

Neither. Just tired of whiners, the whole “poor me” thing. She worked for DISNEY and toured with the JONAS BROTHERS. Lots of others would love that opportunity!!

• Baxter says:

@Kim
          There’s lots of people with “good” jobs who have personal problems. You make it sound like if you’ve achieved celebrity status then you’re no longer allowed to be a normal human being.

Lots of people are “whiners” – celebrities just face scrutiny that regular folks don’t have to deal with. Do you think that if you had personal issues that having your picture taken every time you step out of your house or constantly being away from your family would make it better somehow?

• Honestly? says:

Ignorant comment

4. NickC says:

What’s up with Disney making these young out of control chicks?…

• RickJM says:

Oh please. What ‘young out of control chicks’? You mean like Raven? Ashley Tisdale? Brenda Song? Aly whatever her name is? The girl from Charlie or the one from Suite Life? Tiffany Thortan? The girl from Even Stevens? Katherine Heigle (did a movie for Disney)? The detective from Pysch (again, did Disney movies)? The girl from No Ordinary Family and her sister? The Osmit girl from Hannah Montana?
      Do you want me to keep going?

• Anonymous says:

You don’t know their names. Your argument is invalid.

• Melissa says:

The fact that we don’t know the names (well, I do) actually proved the argument. They’re NOT in the papers all the time because they’re not out of control, therefore, Disney does not simply breed wild kids.

• NickC says:

CALM DOWN…It’s going to be ok.Don’t cry…There have been many Disney girl who have been used by that network and come out the other end in bad shape but i can tell you key board fighters need to insult other peoples opinion to feel better about yourselves…I just feel bad for you and your obviously sad life.Hope it gets better.

5. Diana says:

Interesting, the article states she started being a “cutter” at age 11. That is the same time she started her acting career. . . hummm. . .correlation???

• sam says:

Correlation does not equal causation.

Sorry I’m a psych major and that’s been beaten into my brain so much I had to say it.

• Karen A. says:

Exactly! :D There are so many other variables we don’t know of to make an accurate conclusion lol.

• Chris says:

Correlation may not equal causation, but it often wiggles it’s eyebrows, looks meaningfully at a spot and whispers “look over there”

6. biskit says:

IMO being on TV is the healthier of the 2 choices, at least there is some stability and routine there. To me this just seems like a convenient time for her to get out of doing the show and whatever contract she may have had and transition to a more grown-up career. V. calculated move on her part.

7. Christian says:

She’s one of the few actors/singers on the disney channel that actually have any talent. I hope and pray she gets through okay.

8. Doug says:

Good riddance to her…both her and the show sucked…

9. Babs says:

With all the judging going on here, it seems that we’ve forgotten that this is a child we’re talking about. She started working professionally at a very young age, which can be stressful enough for a grown adult. The fact that she struggled with those responsibilities and stresses doesn’t make her spoiled or calculated. It just shows that she is, in fact, a young person with a lot on her shoulders. I’m glad she’s making the choices she needs to make to keep herself healthy, and I wish her all the best as she tends to her recovery.

10. Michael says:

No!!! This actually saddens me. Sonny With a Chance is the only watchable Disney show and a ton of sketches is NOT the show. They’re not going to make a real sketch show, like All That or something. And there would be no closure for the show and…. /: (I agree with an above comment that this would probably be the most stable thing in her life apart from family and such.) Oh, well.

• Baxter says:

I wish they would address this on the show and have her character leave “So Random” for personal issues. Children’s shows (especially those on Disney) glorify the idea of being a child star but very rarely display/deal with realistic consequences for such a lifestyle.

• Melokesm says:

I am bummed too. I thought Demi was great on the show. I understand tv puts a lot of pressure to look good…camera adds 10 pounds thing. I wish her the best.

11. dkf says:

She is beautiful and I would marry that woman and always leave the seat down for her and cook for her every day and lie in bed with her all day and night. I could never run out of ways to tell her how beautiful she is.

12. MomofaTeen says:

It takes a lot of courage and maturity to seek help and discuss it publicly. Show biz comes with intense pressure. She should be cheered, not scorned, for doing what was right for her health. She’s a great example to people young and old who are struggling.

13. Christy says:

I love Demi but to tell you the truth I don’t think I’m going to keep watching Sonny With A Chance without her the only reason I watched the show was for her and Sterling Knight’s romance. Without that the show isn’t that funny.
    Good luck with all you do Demi I’ll be there supporting you <3

14. ryan says:

Her problem was she wasn’t comfortable being the girl next door she wanted to be the star, which is a shame she was cute, but when she started over tanning and losing all that weight, I let my girls stop watching

15. amanda says:

It is such a tradgedy to see Demi leaving. She is one of the best stars Disney has had. It will be hard to get used not to seeing her on ‘Sonny with a Chance’ or on Disney at all. She will be greatly missed and hopefully she will recover quickly and become a great role model again! We’ll miss you Demi!!

16. Jeni says:

I think that Demi is really a gifted singer and actress.I am very sad to see her leave not only Sonny with a Chance but possibly future Camp Rock type films-she was great in that.praying for her complete healing&a new chance.

17. StuPitt says:

Anyone thinking this is just Demi’s idea is niave.

So she hit someone while she was touring but it is the show that she is leaving because it would be bad for her? A taped camera show makes her nervous but getting on stage and performing live does not?

18. KING says:

She farts a lot.So the jonas couldn’t ANALyze her.hehe

19. Anonymous says:

Basically, all it is is that she had personal issues and decides that going back to “Sonny” would be bad for her recovery, so she quit. Most likely, since season 3 in production without her, they’ll (Disney) rework the series and as usual, will avoid the departure of the main character. Tiffany Thornton is being promoted to main character, and they (Disney) make their first sketch-based series like All That. This June, the new season, or as the production company advertises it, the new series will premiere. “It’s a Laugh Productions” says that “Sonny with a Chance” is over, and that “So Random!” is a new series. Good Luck, Demi! I hope, (not really) that in June, “So Random” will succeed! Rock on, sorta, Disney!

20. Amelia says:

That’s sort of like how I’m leaving iCarly because the show is getting boring nowadays. I feel sorry for Demi.

21. angela says:

I REALLY LOVED DEMI BECAUSE SHE WAS THE GREATEST ACTRESS I’VE KNOWN AND THAT NO ONE COULD TAKE HER PART IN SO RANDOM.