RIP, AMC and OLTL: Stars From Daytime and Primetime Sound Off on ABC's Scrubbed Soaps

The final stage of grief — Acceptance — is still a ways off for the casts, crews and viewers of All My Children and One Life to Live, the pair of long-running soaps ABC has decided to cancel as of September and January, respectively. But the first stage, Denial, seemingly is behind us, if only because rumors of the possible (evil) twin killing swirled weeks ago.

In the wake of ABC Daytime boss Brian Frons handing down the official word, here is what some soap stars present and past — as well as a few primetime peers — had to say about the saddest news to hit the TV biz in a while. Some shared regrets, some shared thanks, some shared memories… and Robin Strasser, bless her, as usual shared just a little bit more.

Erika Slezak (Viki, One Life to Live): “Please tell all our fans how deeply sorry I am to be losing this wonderful show that has so much heart and so much life. I will miss my work, my friends, my OLTL family so very much. I consider this to be a terrible loss to the television community and especially to the New York community.”

Susan Lucci (Erica, All My Children): “It saddens me that All My Children is canceled. I’ve loved playing Erica Kane and working with Agnes Nixon and the incredible people at AMC…. To my loyal fans, thank you for the outpouring of spirit and support. Your kind words mean so very much to me.”

Michael E. Knight (Tad, AMC): “He sends his love to the fans, whom he adores,” ex-wife Catherine Hickland (ex-Lindsey, OLTL) tweeted. “He is grateful to you all.”

Bobbie Eakes (Krystal, AMC): “To all the wonderful AMC and OLTL fans: thank you so very much for your support over the years. We will always be grateful.”

Stephanie Gatschet (Madison, AMC): “Its a sad day in Pine Valley. We’re all still trying to absorb the news… Thank you all for your support! AMC has the best fans ever.”

Christina Lind (Bianca, AMC): “It’s a very sad day in Pine Valley. Thanks to all for your support… and for eye sex when no eye sex was to be found.”

Robin Strasser (Dorian, OLTL): “It’s an enormous sense of loss, a cavalier and utterly irresponsible decision. They’re not thinking straight.”

Gina Tognoni (Kelly, OLTL): “It’s a terribly super sad day. I am grateful for the opportunity One Life had given me over the years, it is a piece of my heart. Love you.”

Melissa Archer (Natalie, OLTL): “Thank you all of you for your kind words. Show is still going for now, and we are gonna make it rock till the end!”

Bree Williamson (Jessica et al, OLTL): “Thank you so much for your support. I feel like Sarah marshal when ‘crime scene’ was canceled…. Unfortunately I am not sure there is anything anyone can do.

Kim Zimmer (Echo, OLTL; Reva, Guiding Light): “Devastating. Not surprised, but it’s still so sad that a genre of TV is disappearing. I’m deeply heartbroken by this news!”

Kristen Alderson (Starr, OLTL): “Of course we are all very devastated about the news,but are very grateful we have time to process it.”

And from soap alumni and primetime peers….

Castle‘s Nathan Fillion (ex-Joey, OLTL): “A moment of silence for a disappearing genre. OLTL and AMC, we’ll miss your hard work and talent.”

Live with Regis & Kelly‘s Kelly Ripa (ex-Hayley, AMC): “The cancellation of AMC and OLTL is a very sad day for me.” Ripa went on to tweet several photos from her AMC days.

The Office‘s Rainn Wilson: “RIP, One Life to Live, the show that gave me my first TV gig in 1997 — Casey Keegan, homicidal stand-up comic.”

Better With You‘s Jennifer Finnigan (ex-Bridget, The Bold and the Beautiful): “So sad to hear about OLTL and All My Children being taken off the air…. So many lost jobs. TV is changing so much, it’s scary.”

Community‘s Yvette Brown: “No Lucci on daytime? I’ve never lived in a time when that’s true.”

Dancing With the Stars‘ Marlee Matlin: “Who imagined that the Welcome to Pine Valley sign would ever come down? All My Children axed. Goodbye, Erica Kane. You were GREAT. I remember how excited I was to meet Ruth Warwick, aka Phoebe Tyler and Susan Lucci, THE Erica Kane. Wonderful AMC memories.”

Nancy Lee Grahn (Alexis, General Hospital): “I know this will come as a shock, but I’m actually at a loss for words. Been sitting here since morning and still can’t think of anything profound to say about loss of daytime heirlooms. Guess I’ll just keep drinking. First toast; Soap fans are the f’in best fans on this planet! Clink. Second toast; Cheers to AMC and OLTL for entertaining us for 43 years, five-days-a-week of ass-kicking soap. We appreciate you and salute you.”

Laura Wright (Carly, GH): “Wow, I can’t believe this news – this is a sad day. My heart goes out to the cast, crew and production of AMC and OLTL. Yes, let’s fight for GH! And I hope we see some familiar faces!! Very talented people on these shows!”

Gossip Girl‘s Michelle Trachtenberg (ex-Lily, AMC): “RIP, All My Children.”

CSI: Miami‘s Leven Rambin (ex-Lily/Ava, AMC): “RIP, All My Children. The end of an iconic era and huge part of my life. What a travesty!”

Eden Riegel (ex-Bianca, AMC; now Heather on The Young and the Restless): “I am saddened and shocked by the news of AMC‘s cancellation. It’s the end of an era. I love you, AMC.”

Laura Allen (ex-Laura, AMC): “Thank you, AMC, for giving me and so many friends our start. Farewell, Pine Valley.”

Ron Raines (Alan, Guiding Light): “To all my colleagues of AMC and OLTL: Onto the next adventure. From one who has found life to be just fine after GL. I do miss GL, though.”

Kelly Monaco (Sam, GH): “I am sad to hear about the cancellations of AMC and OLTL. Hopefully we can fight a good fight and make the remaining daytime dramas must watch TV!”

Yes, Kelly — hopefully.

Please, share in comments any other and newer quotes you have come across from other daytime stars and alumni.

1. Kelly says:

I hate to see the genre day for more reality tv,more cooking and fashion shows. I miss my soaps.

• S Wilson says:

I agree, this is a very bad decision. ABC must not have a clue just how many loyal fans are out here; they may not all be online and able to add their voices here, either. Whatever faulty research led to this fiasco, the legions of longterm soap opera fans will NOT be watching yet another talk show, or cooking show, or reality show in place of their beloved daytime dramas. Know your real audience, ABC.

• Gina says:

I haven’t missed an episode in as long as I can remember, I may not watch them live because of work, but every single episode is much anticipated and much enjoyed. ABC will soon be my least watched network.

• Joan says:

I agree . I tape One Life to Live everyday and watch it every night. It’s so creative & done so well I can hardly wait till I can watch the next episode! NOT going to watch another talk or food show…Dr. Oz’s wife pulease!

• Barbara Jean Dinneen says:

AMC and OLTL are more real to me than any of the “Housewives” franchises. Who doesn’t want to believe the world can be saved and who knows your real daddy or mommy is. Maybe everybody can have reoccuring roles on GH. Look at Skye…

• Yeah Yeah says:

Of course they know how many loyal fans there are out there, but they just don’t care. The networks are in business to make money. These shows are simply too expensive to make anymore. They are not cost-effective for the networks. It’s as simple as that. It’s never been about the fans. It’s always about the money. I’m sure that’s not entirely true for the shows’ creators, actors, etc. But they don’t make the rules.

• Candacetx says:

don’t they realize that this is the type of decision that you can’t reverse once you find out that you made a HUGE mistake. It’s not like you can change New Coke back to the original formula.

If Oprah is truly the smart woman she thinks she is.. she would grab these shows for the OWN network. Instant audience in numbers larger than any show she currently has.

I am at a loss…

• Joan says:

OMG, what a genius idea. Maybe if we bombard Oprah with tweets, she’ll take it under advisement! She’s looking for ways to increase her viewing audience & this is an ideal way!!!

• susan proechel says:

every one email oprah what a great idea she will gain 2 million veiwers!!! do the right thing oprah

• jd says:

I wish she would ABC. Is going to lose so many veiwers ophra should grab those to show

• Bruce Mangan says:

WHATA WAY TO CANCEL MY TO 2 FAVORITE SOAP OPERA DAYTIME SHOW’S RIGHT UNDER MY FEET. I BEEN WATCHING THESE 2 SHOW’S FOR 15 YR’S. YOU STILL HAVE A LOT OF ALL MY CHILDREN & ONE LIFE TO LIVE VIEWER’S LIKE WATCHING THESE DAYTIME SHOW’S, WE/I THE VIEWER’S THAT WATCH THEM DON’T WANT TO SEE THESE 2 SHOW’S LEAVE ABC CHANNEL 7! BRUCE, BRONX, NEW YORK!

2. Jennifer says:

Donnie Wahlberg tweeted that he’d have to call his mom and console her.

I believe Nancy Lee Grahn tweeted something yesterday (but she was angry at the time)

• Gail says:

Nancy Lee may have been angry, but her words were right on the money. Just what we need…more inane drivel from talk shows, and how to scorch water. Time to visit the local library.

• Mags Smith says:

I remember Nancy when she was Julia on Santa Barbara years ago. I loved Julia and Mason together!

• sashay says:

Me too! Thanks for mentioning it – I was trying to remember if she was on Santa Barbara or Passions. She was definitely one of my favourite characters. Great to find out that she’s as funny in real life as she was on that show. (Don’t find her character on GH is as amusing).

3. Stephanie says:

Julie Pinson (ATWT, DOOL, Port Charles, Y&R)

An unbelievably sad day for our community. I wish my friends at OLTL and AMC the best for the future. And may our fans never give up on us!

4. Natasha says:

A very sad time. I will miss both of these shows that never fail to entertain me. It’s a sad day when they cancel two amazing shows for a lame talk shows. I didn’t even know talk shows still exist besides Ellen and Regis and Kelly….

5. Jaime says:

Tweet from Ingo ~

IngoRademacher
    Sad to find out about about amc and one life. My thoughts go to all the actors and crew on our sister shows. Very sad.

• Barbara Jean Dinneen says:

Jax, maybe you could have an affair with Kendall. Carly could hook up with Tad. Possibilities are limitless!

6. Jennifer says:

Scott Clifton (Liam B&B) just tweeted

7. Jessica says:

Some of the best television ever is to be found on daytime drama. The fragmenting of the TV viewership is a handicap, but if ABC Daytime VP Brian Frons was less of a clueless, egomaniacal schmuck and more of a creative leader, a solution could have been found that didn’t cannibalize the Disney bottom line. Why can’t there be Daytime experiences at the Disney theme parks, $ from which help subsidize them? How are soaps supposed to thrive when budgets are cut, writers and producers focus-grouped to literal death, talent is tossed aside for the hot shirtless dude du jour, and nobody knows the shows are still ON because the network doesn’t ever promote them except during DAYTIME? If ABC and Anne Sweeney had any interest in preserving jobs, viewers and a genre that trailblazed for 50 years, all they had to do was listen to the faithful. I’ve bought brands that advertise during my shows, watched prime-time (“Castle”) that starred or featured daytime alumnae and everything else they asked of me, only to be spat upon in return. It’s a sad day when economy trumps decency, even though as a corporation, the House of Mouse is the cheapest, most ruthless entity out there.

• Annie says:

Well said, Jessica!

• amb says:

The best comments said about the situation.

• Elizabeth says:

So very well said, Jessica. I curse the day that Disney took over ABC. The programming on ABC has turned from quality entertainment into mindless reality shows that no one gives a flip about. I certainly hope that there is someone at another network who is reading all the posts from the loyal fans of AMC and OLTL who is willing to take a chance and pick up the shows. It’s happened before. How about it NBC, CBS, FOX? Too many lives are being changed by this decision. Help pick up the pieces before it’s too late. Show ABC what a huge mistake it is making. Maybe Mr. Frons will lose his job as well. We can only hope.

• Gail says:

Bravo Jessica! Now I will be stingy about what I watch on ABC. TheIr lack of loyalty to their viewers has created a deep-seated cold anger.

• char says:

I agree Jessica… I thought it was especially tacky that Frons told the cast and crew 15 minutes before the public announcement. I started watching AMC (and then OLTL) in the late 90s (?) after that ridiculous Marlena-possessed story line on DOOL, which I had watched for decades. I was struck how well-done AMC and especially OLTL was, how interesting the story lines, how talented the actors, and how timely most of the stories were, and that they moved at a reasonable pace. And what heart they had. But then, a few years ago, story lines started repeating, suspension of disbelief was stretched to unbearable limits too often, and characters personalities and histories were not honored in the writing. Lately, they’ve been adding new characters like they were going out of style–characters nobody cared about. So I have to wonder if Frons wasn’t deliberately sabotaging these two soaps, to make way for something he considers more “worthy” of his delusional stature. I suppose we’ll see the real nature of his stature when they get no viewers in these time slots, having tanked two solid blocks of viewers and heritage television in the process.

• Miffy says:

“Daytime experiences at Disney theme parks”? Thanks for the laugh – you are absolutely delusional.

• Janet says:

If Walt was still alive, this would not be happening. He realized the benefit of fans.

• kathy says:

i agree, who ever thought mickey mouse would turn into a ( soap ) axe murder!!!

8. Melissa says:

Bethany Joy Galeotti (@BethanyGaleotti) Omg, I can’t believe abc canned All My Children! I watched that for years. Wonder what else is disappearing with the times…

9. Wanda says:

It is sad that ABC has done this. One of the few reasons to watch ABC is gone. If they cancel General Hospital I will have no other reason to watch it.

• Barb says:

I, for one, WIII remove ABC from my tv playlists…. Will miss DWTS, and the soaps, but ABC gonna screw me over for more cooking and reality crap?? Lets band together and boycott ABC entirely!! I wlll likely not be watching GH after this, if I’m going to boycott….with AMC and OLTL off the air, I guess that means I’ll have more time to clean house, or otherwise entertain myself…. Bye, Dr. Phil, you, too, are on a network I’ll be no longer be watching…

• ger says:

So you watch soaps, DWTS & Dr Phil. Consider these cancelations an intervention, Barb.

• Micki says:

I agree! Even DWTS sucks this season! I fell asleep before Sugar Ray was even eliminated Tuesday–it’s so lack-luster this go-around.
        It’s pathetic that 50-year-old sitcoms are sometimes better than prime-time!

P.S. Erica and I have been through a lot together these last 40+ years. I am beside myself.

• Miffy says:

Yeah, because the boycotts against CBS after cancelled their two soaps worked so well. Oh, wait – CBS is the number one network.

Go read some books and lose some weight, Barb.

• Rita says:

i agree completely Barb. i too will no longer be watching anything on abc. we need to also boycot their sponsers. hit them where it hurts.seems like money is all they care about anyway.

• kathy lummus says:

WELL MICKEY MOUSE, WHAT a RAT YOU ARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! family guy has more class than your BOSS!. kathy lummus

10. Jennifer says:

Bradford Anderson (Speinelli GH) has also tweeted something

11. Thom says:

I’m so done with ABC!!!

12. AlistairCrane says:

“Remanding”, Kelly? Really?

13. Jennifer says:

I am going to continue watching #AMC and #OLTL till OneLife’s last show then I am going to BoycottABC altogether. Sorry just how I feel.

14. Tracy says:

What a sad day. I grew up watching the ABC soaps and to think two of them are no longer going to be around is shocking, to say the least. I stopped watching soaps after college (in the early ’90’s) but if I was home on an afternoon I’d flip by ABC and be happy to see the shows were still going strong and familiar faces were still around. I’d remember the days of setting the VCR so I could keep up with all of my favorite characters while in Jr. High and HS. It saddens and angers me that talented people who have literally spent decades entertaining people are out of a job. Good luck to all of you in your future endeavors. I could never thank you all enough for all of the joy and entertainment you’ve provided me throughout the years.

• Olivia says:

Hear you, Tracy. I started watching AMC in 1970 at its inception. Our office Mgr bought a TV set for the office so we could watch it during our lunch hour. I was hooked. Throughout the years, regardless of how many turns and side roads(the ups & downs) of my life took, I could count on the AMC characters to lighten my load and forget my challenges for an hour and sometimes, two. My children as pre-teens got hooked, too. My daughter intro’d me to OLTL and GH, which in the summer months, we three watched all three soaps together.

On vacation to N.M. one year to visit relatives, we were pleasantly surpised to find a recently retired male relative (in his late 60’s!) was hooked to AMC as well!

All three soaps’stories were/are real life stories that as viewers we could relate to: the good, the bad and the ugly. Some of them proved to be educational as well as entertaining. They covered addiction (Erica), illness (Nina & Cliff), mulitple personalites (Vickie & Jessica), way too many areas to mention. Agnes Nixon IMO was a genius. These characters became like old friends, and soon I will now have to mourn them all at the same time.

I am not a fan of talk shows – daytime or late night. Although, I do love Carla (Karla) from Top Chefs, I will not be watching a food show in the middle of the day. As it is, IMHO, there are way way too many food shows aleady, and except for Top Chef, they are not very good, the so-called judges come off arrogant, disrespectful, and some down-right mean in their critiques. In most cases their facial expressions reveal who they really are.

RIP ABC, you might just go on the chopping block altogether.

15. Amber says:

I did not see the cancellation of OLTL coming. Sure, there were rumors about AMC, but OLTL??? I was just remarking to a friend yesterday I would be going through the stages of grieving on this, but I’m still stuck in serious denial. God bless Robin Strasser for saying they’re not thinking straight. Is there any possible way to change ABC’s minds about the cancellation? I’ve already written a few angry emails. Fans have managed to save shows before.

16. Carrie says:

This is pretty depressing. Soaps seem to be slowly fading away from daytime TV. I love Robin Strasser’s quote. Everyone else is being way too nice about it.

17. tinybuffyfan says:

Both Tina Sloan (GL) and Catherine Hickland (OLTL) ranted quite a bit yesterday.

18. SnazzyO says:

Robin Strasser: You go girl!

ABC: Idiots.

19. Lynn H says:

Vincent Irizarry (David Hayward/AMC) posted a lovely comment to his Facebook page.

20. Pam says:

I don’t think they were expecting this kind of response, which I think is awesome! I have not watched soaps in years but I definitely have fond memories of watching them in HS and college. I am sure I watched all of the at some point but I probably watched AMC the longest. I have co-workers who no longer watch Days (or maybe Y&R) but still follow the storylines on-line.

21. ThePit says:

Both OLTL and AMC will be missed. What a horrible decision by ABC. There is no reason to watch daytime anymore.

22. Louise says:

I too can not believe they cancelled All my Children and One life to Live, But I will not abandon the only soap left General Hospital. Why give them the satisfaction of cancelling another soap. I will just boycott ABC’s new replacement shows. I think if the network gets enough negative responses, we may be able to change the cancellations. Keep complaining and see if it helps!!!

23. Tigre says:

I also grew up watching ABC soaps. I dropped off for a while but came back to AMC during the Bianca / Babe / Kelly baby-switch drama. Wow – what a great storyline and crossover between AMC and OLTL. Would hjave liked to have seen more of that type of collaboration, with GH included (as they did with the “Rae”). Sure, the writing and acting have gone up and down and all around, but that is true with every type of TV show and film. The soaps have – or had – the courage to tackle tough issues (incest, rape, substance abuse, abortion, abduction, extreme revenge, interacial love, homosexuality, transexuality, etc…) before any other medium. They have been entertaining, disturbing, frustrating, thrilling, eye opening and fun. Soaps and their stars have always (with the exception of Luke & Laura’s heyday) the bastard child of the entertainment industry, industry. Even though some of the talent that has shone through over the years has been incredible. Acting is soaps must be one of the most challenging things to do, and the actors have hardly gotten the recognition (some of them) deserve. Imagine if you had to portray some of the dreck that is given to these actors, especially when the creative teams change and there is no regard for history or the character’s true nature. Soaps aren’t for everyone, but a lot of people adore them. To contend that the main audience of stay-at-home mom’s and other women has changed is incorrect. There are many many male viewers, especially now with TiVo, Soap Net and other means of getting Soaped. This is a sad day; instead of coming-ip with interesting and innovative ideas, the PTB have driven the genre into the ground. Good luck to all of the cast and crew, may you be able to find new work and thrive.

24. melissa says:

There’s a typo in the last sentence. I’m guessing Kelly Monaco said “remaining” and not “remanding.” Also, thank you for including the quotes from Nathan Fillion, Yvette Brown, and especially Jennifer Finnigan. Unfortunately I can most agree with it.

25. Hulk says:

“I can’t help but feel that daytime has been robbed.” http://bit.ly/eYIw3A Jessica Leccia responds to yesterday’s announcement

26. Michael A says:

I totally grew up with these aABC soaps and I am very sad to see these too go. But I bet there are many sad folks like me who took for granted that these soaps would be around forever. Although I love these shows, the reality is that I have not watched them in a while. Since I know the characters, I could read about their exploits or read news about what was going on without actually watching the show. As much as we hate to admit it, TV is a business. The economics are simple. If a lot of people watch a show, it stays on the air. If they don’t, it gets cancelled.

27. Peppy says:

I am so sad to hear about OLTL’s cancelation. I watched yesterday’s episode and could not get over how good it was. I was blown away by the performace of the actors who Rex and Blair. After watching the show I was thinking about how great it was to see both of them get such great material to play. I was blown away to turn on the computer just ten minutes later and see that the show was canceled. It just did not make any sence to me. It broke my heart today to watch the show knowing the end was near. I found myself crying at the thought of not knowing what Bo Buchanan, and the other characters I have watched for 30, will be doing this time next year. These characters have been a part of my life for so long and they will be missed

28. jeffster says:

Funny, I tried to think what I still watch on ABC – only Desperate Housewives (talk about a soap opera without much life left in it) and Castle. USA, AMC, SYFY and FX have much more interesting shows. Get a clue ABC!!!!

29. Jennifer says:

“Bree Williamson (Jessica et al, OLTL)”

I’ll admit I chucked at the “et al” though I think my number one wish for the last months of OLTL is for the writers to fix this mess of a storyline. Robert Ford and the rest of his family are quite possibly the worst thing that has ever happened to this show. I won’t hold my breath about my long-wished Viki/Clint reunion or reveal that Jessica is actually their biological daughter, but I’ll settle for a sane Jessica reunited with Brody (and news that Ryder is their son–I can’t believe no one thought to do a second DNA test).

30. Meghan says:

My mom and I were actually watching One Life to Live yesterday when I happened upon the news. I’ve been watching both shows off and on since 2003. My mom’s been watching OLTL since the beginning, and is still in denial. I’ve always loved soaps and OLTL will always be the first one I ever watched way back in 1993 when I would come home from morning kindergarten and watch with my mom over lunch (granted I didn’t understand what I was watching at the time ;]). Needless to say, I will definitely try to watch as much as possible in the coming months and hopefully the writers will give both shows the proper send-off they derserve.

31. kristen says:

i have watched soaps off and on throughout the years and this truly saddens me! my grandmother and great aunt watched amc until the day they died. i think this is going to leave a void for a lot of people. i hope the powers that be will keep the remaining soaps on the air.

32. Andrea says:

I can’t believe this!! I remember that the ABC soaps got me through college in the ’70s! And my Dad was a huge fan! If he hadn’t already passed on, this would have killed him for sure!

• WiseMocha says:

My dad was too… I don’t think he would have fought this as hard as I am though, but watching and talking about AMC & OLTL with my father are some of the fondest memories I have. I think I could have accepted this better if it had not been for (1) the callous way the cancellations were announced, and (2) the horridly awful shows they are claiming to replace them with. Now, I’m ready to fight this to the end!

33. umbrella says:

btw
    Marlee Matlin is appearing on Celebrity Apprentice not Dancing with the Stars.

34. laurie says:

I watch alot of shows on ABC ,but with my 2 favorite soaps being cancelled,I will stop watching everything on ABC!!!

35. Pam says:

My days of watching afternoon programs will be over once amc & oltl are gone. Can’t stand the thought of another talk show or cookie cutter cable reality show. You guys have no idea what real people want, or you just don’t care. Money is the bottom line.

36. Tracy says:

Stupid decision. I’ve watched AMC for about 27 years. I have zero interest in the new replacement shows. I’ll never watch.

37. Barbara Szabo says:

Our country has outsourced so many jobs i.e. manufacturing, IT and now the networks are taking away employment from actors. Instead they put a bunch of untalented people on TV reality shows who probably work for nothing…as usual it’s all about money. I have been watching AMC for 40 years and it will be a sad day when I watch the last episode. There is nothing else worth watching on ABC except Castle; if that goes I’m done.

38. Scooby Doo says:

Face facts folks,the soaps are a dying bread. The median age of the daytime viewer these days is 57. That means that advertisers who want to reach women 35-49 (the target audience) they have to go elsewhere and that hurts the bottom line of the network.
    And with ratings falling more every day for the shows it became fiancially impossible to keep the shows on the air.

39. Rowan says:

I think part of the problem and reason soaps are dying off as a form of entertainment is that they haven’t evolved their storytelling in decades. I started watching GH again for the first time in a decade. We still get constantly repetitive dialogue (instead of moving forward with a downward spiral of epic proportions for Luke (who accidentally killed his grandson while drunk driving) we get several weeks of him sitting in his casino/club drinking alone while his children, wife and former daughter-in-law repeat the same dialogue over and over. Lucky has told everyone at least three times that he is to blame for his father’s behavior, Liz has told everyone she sees at least four times that she’s to blame for not watching her son better that night, and even though both Liz and Lucky have told each other they do no blame each other, Liz tells everyone Lucky blames her and Lucky tells everyone Liz blames him. Meanwhile the Sonny can secretly get a DNA test for Lucian without Brenda knowing (using hair from her hairbrush and getting one of the guards to swab the kid’s cheek when Brenda is downstairs) – but no. Doesn’t even cross his mind. Instead he has inane dialogue with Jason (who tells everyone he can that He is to blame to Jake’s death – even though they all have told him 700 times he’s not. In the month since the kid died – it’s only about a week later. Ridiculous. They need better writing – where more happens, people stop saying the same dialogue over and over and the genre will survive.

40. Daniella says:

This seems like a terrible move by ABC. What are they thinking? Do they really expect a show called The Chew to thrive, especially since they won’t gain any viewers from AMC or OLTL. Watching The Chew and the other show The Revolution would be a betrayal to the legacises AMC and OLTL. Very bad decison.

41. BearDogg-X says:

The sad part about this is not just the fans of the shows(84 years of combined TV history between the two shows down the drain) losing their favorite shows, or the actors, writers, and production crew losing their jobs(especially the people involved with All My Children, who had to move from New York to Los Angeles a year ago when ABC moved production of AMC to Hollywood), it’s the fact that the acting profession is losing two more training grounds.

The daytime soap operas are like an acting boot camp,if you will, with the shows running 5 days a week(Monday through Friday) barring preemption for sporting events, breaking news, and holidays. Like Mick Foley described how Memphis pro wrestling was run in his first autobiography “Have A Nice Day”, an aspiring actor or actress that offered nothing but potential could become a polished performer because of the rapid pace of the shows.

Quite a few big name actors and actresses, whether legends or up-and-coming wunderkinds, got their starts or their first big breaks in soaps: Kevin Bacon(Guiding Light), Tommy Lee Jones(One Life To Live), Nathan Fillion(One Life To Live), Tom Berenger(One Life To Live), Brittany Snow(Guiding Light), Hayden Panettiere(Guiding Light), Bethany Joy Galeotti(Guiding Light), Kelly Ripa(All My Children), Lyndsy Fonseca(Young and the Restless), Danneel Harris-Ackles(One Live To Life), Amanda Seyfried(All My Children), Ashley Benson from Pretty Little Liars(Days of Our Lives), Sarah Michelle Gellar(All My Children), Lacey Chabert(All My Children), Michelle Trachtenberg(All My Children), Amber Tamblyn(General Hospital), and the list goes on and on.

42. Bonnie says:

Can anyone at ABC see much less hear all the fans? And just how well are any of you LISTENING? You can find a way to keep our shows on the air.NEGOTIATE!!! I have no interest in watching these other shows you are talking about.BORING!!

43. tazzy says:

Thanks for sharing these comments with us. These fine performers face losing their jobs — and are reaching out to comfort us!

Should have known this was coming when Disney announced SoapNet was going to become kid’s channel instead of soaps. I’m still so angry about that — and this decision about AMC and OLTL is breaking my heart.

I’m putting my money where my mouth is. Other than AMC and OLTL, I’ve deleted all ABC shows except for a handful. Desperate Housewives, Brothers & Sisters, Grey’s Anatomy and Private Practice will go away at the end of May, when the season is over. I’ll watch The Middle and Castle until those shows go off the air, but that’s it. I will, of course, watch AMC and OLTL until they go off the air.

I’m planning to find out who is sponsoring the two new shows ABC is planning as replacements, and I’m going to boycott the sponsors of those shows as well.

• Kirby says:

Wow – that’s some boycott. You’re really rock solid in your convictions, considering all your exceptions.

Stop wasting your time – CBS is still the number 1 network after cancelling two of its long-running soaps. And you probably don’t make enough money that the sponsors would even care if you boycotted. Go read a book or something and try to educate yourself, rather than wasting your time watching garbage soaps.

44. Diane says:

The end of an era, for sure.

Watched these shows over the years at home. And they were a welcome distraction when I was in the hospital and recovering at home. Better than drugs!

45. GaryRenae says:

Wow. I remember when Sarah Michelle Gellar showed up. My best friend reeled off every plot turn that made that silly twist that made that impossible. I always watched when he visited because he knew all the back stories. While I no longer watch TV, I do watch the shows on Netflix. I’d love to see Michael Knight (Tadd, AMC) on Castle. My friends who still do watch TV are sick of reality shows and plan on quitting with the cancellation of the soaps.

Any smart execs will make movies/shows with some decent writing and let these actors show off their talents. It sure hasn’t been the writing that has kept me watching of and on all these years. I’ve watched some of them grow up. What other shows last so long that you get to know and care about the actors?

46. patrina strawderman says:

I think that its so unfair I’m a 50 year old dissable woman. For 43years I’ve watch my soaps from 1oclock to 4oclock.These people have become my family. I know how to. Cook so I don’t need no cooking show. I even named my children after my soaps please please don’t take my soaps away. What am I suppose to do from1-4

47. darylshim says:

It may come as shock, when two of the greatest soaps are cancelled. However, look ahead and set your sights on new ventures in primetime. Where some of the best primetime shows are, some of them are your night time soaps.