Ratings: Harry's Law Ends Season On Low Note

CBS’ coverage of the NCAA Men’s Basketball Championship dominated this Monday night, averaging 17.3 million total viewers and a 6.1 demo rating from 9 to 11 pm. While those numbers were down at the very least 6 percent from last year’s infinitely more watchable Duke-Butler match-up, scripted rivals nonetheless felt the sting.

The season finale of NBC’s Harry’s Law, for one, only courted 7.4 million viewers and a 1.3 demo rating, dropping 10 and 19 percent, respectively, to all-time lows.

Even ABC’s red-hot Castle dipped 10 percent from season highs, to 11.7 mil and a 2.9.

Castle Scoop: Gene Simmons Is Ready to Rock

Elsewhere, The Event shed 11 percent in total audience (to under 4 mil) but held steady with a 1.2 rating. So there’s that. (BTW, the First Lady is so a Visitor, don’t you think? Er, I mean a “sleeper.”)

Lastly, Dancing With the Stars drew 21.4 million viewers and a 4.6 rating, down 4 and 11 percent week-to-week. If the parquet has a god, the noisy Kirstie Alley goes home tonight.

Dancing With the Stars Recap: Can’t Help Falling

What were you watching Monday night, if not a bunch of jump shots clanging on the rim?

1. Midori says:

It sucks The Event doesn’t actually talk about the event, or actually had a plan when the show started. The “sleepers” could have been the new Cylons and brought something into the story, but nope.

2. John Berggren says:

I think Harry wasn’t helped any by last week’s outing – by far my least favorite episode – I didn’t get around to watching last night.

The Event… I cut my losses before it returned – and I don’t think I’m sorry I did.

3. Nate says:

Harry’s Law has to be one of the worst shows of the season. Why its even on the bubble is beyond me. Should have been cancelled after the first couple episodes.

• John Berggren says:

This statement is way conflated and based upon your reality alone.

• Rowan says:

I don’t think you know what conflated means. It means combining two ideas into one. @Nate saying it’s one of the worst shows of the season and wondering why it’s even considered to be on the bubble as opposed to a long shot is not the combining of two ideas.

• Midori says:

He is combining his own personal views of the show with his made up view that his view is the only view and the 8 million other viewers are all wrong.

• sashay says:

Hey, it’s 7.4 million, not eight!
            I saw the first show and thought it sucked, saw part of another show and thought it sucked, saw half of last weeks and thought one story was interesting, the other boring. I blame the writing, totally. The personal stories have potential, but the courtroom scenes are just deadly dull, and pretty much unbelievable to boot. Usually the courtroom scenes are the best part of any lawyer show, so I’m just not sure what’s going on here.
            I think it could greatly improve if the networks kept it going for another couple of months, but the reality is, you don’t get a long time to try and get it right. I think the show is doomed. Too bad, Kathy Bates is one terrific actress, and the I thought the show’s premise was promising.

• Midori says:

I was doing an average of fans. Basketball was on and people watched that instead but are still fans of the show.

It will most likely get a Friday Night death slot next year. It’s not DEK’s best show, but it’s still better than most things on TV. However if you are watching a DEK show for realistic then you are really not in touch with his worlds.

• John Berggren says:

It is used as a pejorative term for blending his personal view as the primary consideration over the ratings which are in fact the point.
          Have a look at the usage examples.

• Nate says:

Anyone saying a show is horrible is one’s own opinion. Sure there are many people who think the Jersey Shore is wonderful. Personally, I would classify the show as evidence for the crisis we are currently ignoring in our country, the dumbing down of America. Where mental midgets like these people are given celebrity and money makes me absolutely sick. OTOH, its a highly rated cable show, so someone must like it. Doesn’t mean its not a horrible show, though does it? Same goes for Dancing with the D listers, etc. Just because people watch doesn’t mean they are right and I am wrong.

Now with Harry’s Law. I am fine with Hollywood making a mockery of the judicial system and taking their liberties, but the trials in the first couple episodes were so absurd it leaped over the the line into preachy fantasy. Just really difficult to watch and I wanted to watch.

• John Berggren says:

I don’t begrudge you the right to an opinion – but I will say that if you came to a David E Kelley courtroom dramedy expecting it not to be preachy, I can imagine how readily you were disappointed. I highly recommend not checking out his other work.

That said, there is a huge disconnect between “I think it sucks” and “It should be cancelled”. If “It should be cancelled” were dependent on whether or not I think it sucks – there would be plenty of space on 4 networks to house the programming that I think is worth seeing – without expanding to the 100s we have now.

Harry’s Law is a comparative resounding success on NBC when you stack it up against most any other series launch this year. Thus it is (in my opinion) more likely to be renewed than cancelled. I think it could be re-jiggered and improved – but I think it will have that opportunity.

• Yo says:

It sure isn’t good and it is too bad, because I thought it was really promising. A great idea and lead, but the show seems done on the cheap….Lousy writing.

4. Liz says:

And here I thought that shows always did so well against sports championship game, oh wait no they don’t. Like you said, even Castle dipped about ten percent last night. Here’s an idea, how about waiting a week before counting the numbers to get the DVR viewership as well. Harry’s Law has been a great little show with the toughest competition of anything. I only watch four total ten pm shows; Castle, Hawaii Five-0, Harry’s Law and Blue Bloods. Obviously 3 of those shows are Monday nighters. I hope that NBC takes Harry’s Law competition into account when deciding whether or not to renew it.

5. April says:

You meant to say that Wendy should go home tonight, right? Because while Kirstie probably won’t win, her chemistry with Maks is awesome and the show would be totally boring without her. Seriously Matt, at least Kirstie makes an effort to actually dance.

6. Betty says:

Wow, Matt. The Kirstie comment is really uncalled for. I’m a little disappointed. Wendy is a much worse dancer and does not even appear to be enjoying herself.

7. Anna says:

Wendy and Sugar Ray are the weakest dancers.

Harry’s Law is still doing better than The Event or Chuck; which should count for something. I won’t even be bothering with LOLA.

8. Tim says:

Harry’s Law is lucky it doesn’t have any other new episodes otherwise it would keep falling.

9. Trytigress says:

I like “Harry’s Law” its very true to life. Life isnt always fair. And her group that she has in her firm are funny and then serious. But
    the last episode did leave you hanging like it should. Its the final episode til next season. I like the show and I hope they keep it.

10. Jim says:

We loved Harry’s Law and did not miss an episode. I watched the first part of Butler/UConn, then watched Harry’s Law and watched the end of Butler/UConn. I didn’t feel I missed much of the game!!!
    Keep Harry’s Law going into the next season.

11. Mike B says:

7.4 million with a Championship game of any kind on another channel is pretty good. At 10:00 even. Say what you want but the ratings are pretty good. The Event under 4 for a lead into Harry’s Law shows how strong Harry’s is. But you watch. NBC will cancel Harry and keep the Event. Idiots!!!

12. Jason says:

I had to miss Harry’s Law last night ONLY because I had a water crisis in the basement. Otherwise I certainly would’ve watched it, even turning away from the hoops final for an hour.

I have not missed another episode of Harry’s Law, and greatly look forward to its return next season. Hope NBC airs an encore this Saturday, or I’ll catch it online.

13. Tom P says:

I have very much enjoyed Harry’s Law and hope it’s back. It just sucked that for most of the season NBC pulled it from online viewing and on demand!