Roger Howarth Returns to One Life to Live - And That Fills Us With So, So Many Questions

In news that will leave your jaw planted firmly on the floor, Roger Howarth — aka the original Todd Manning — is heading back to One Life to Live.

Best known for originating the Emmy-winning role of Llanview’s resident rapist-turned-doting dad back in 1992, Howarth will resurface on the ABC soap in May, Soap Opera Digest reports.

Susan Lucci’s AMC Status Report

Details on Howarth’s comeback are under wraps, but the actor tells SOD, “I am looking forward to returning to OLTL. We are going to have a lot of fun telling this story, and I am excited to see how it will unfold.”

We are thrilled to have Roger return,” showrunner Frank Valentini says of the confusing good news. “As viewers know, Trevor St. John has been playing the role of Todd Manning since 2003. We have a great story planned that will involve both actors.”

Many longtime OLTL fans would echo Valentini’s sentiment, having grown to love and appreciate St. John’s masterful portrayal of a post-plastic surgery Todd for the better part of a decade. And that makes the news of Howarth’s second coming slightly bittersweet — and kind of a storytelling head-scratcher! After all, who could Howarth possibly be playing…?!

Food for thought: Todd spent last month in a coma after being gunned down by wife Téa’s long-lost brother, Tomas, who seemed hellbent on offing his new in-law over some deep dark secret he knows about him. Could it be that this Todd FKA “Walker Laurence” (before the plastic surgery reveal) was never really Todd to begin with? Could that change-of-face have all been a rouse? Or, might Todd have an identical twin that fans will meet when Howarth returns?

However Howarth is written back in, it’s clear that this casting news is a huge boost for the ABC sudser, particularly as it (along with All My Children) has been the target of cancellation rumors in recent weeks. Perhaps OLTL is pulling a “Hail Mary” of sorts, hoping that the return of a fan fave will draw in more viewers? A girl can only hope.

What is your theory on how Howarth will return, and as whom? Do you vote yea or nay on two Todds populating Llanview? Sound off in the comments!

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Daytime TV, News

1. Gail says:

The absolute happiest day of my soap life! I love Roger Howarth and he and only he is the true Todd Manning. I could care less what happens to other guy.

• V says:

I’m assuming you mean you couldn’t care less.

• Pop Vulture says:

I’m assuming you’re a pompous know-it-all who doesn’t know when it’s worth ‘being right’ and worth ‘being nice.’

• Venica W. says:

Well if someone being nice to someone means letting them be illiterate, then by all means be as rude as you possibly can.

• K says:

I am a tech writer. I saw the mistake but don’t feel the need to point it out. It was a slip of the key, big deal. You are probably some sad individual who takes pride in pointing out others mistakes because it makes you feel better about yourself. Very pathetic. Get a life.

• Del Coro says:

I’d assume that in addition to being a supercilious douche that you are also a moron. Thankfully I don’t have to assume, as you’ve made it very clear.

• MC says:

I AGREE!!! Get a life!

• TVJunkie says:

What Gail said….He is the one true Todd. Let’s fix this nonsense now.

• Lakisha Scott says:

I am so ashamed to say this, but I totally agree…ok ok, I still want TSJ to have a job, but I could care less where I never could accept him as Todd. I am SOOOO excited about The Real Todd returning to OLTL.

• Lisa Folk says:

Couldn’t be more thrilled, everyone I know is a buzz about this. I would call this the greatest thing to ever happen to daytime television. Roger Rocks!!!! Welcome home old friend!

Wake up ABC!

• kinsey says:

I AGREE 1000% !!! Roger H. IS Todd Manning. When they replaced him with Trevor st john, he never quite captured the essence that could only be held by Roger’s TODD. I never watched OLTL before until the Todd/Marty storyline. So this is great all around. I hope he’s here to stay. He’s so sexy!!

• Tina says:

Roger Howarth is sooooo fine. He looks soo sexy way sexier than that other guy. I wonder if he is married???

• sojourner says:

I agree love roger his is the original

• sarah says:

Absolutely!!! i agre 100 percent Gail! I first saw Roger Howarth in 1993 when I was 12 years old in the summer and remembered how he scared the absolute crap ouuta me and even wondered if this was a tv show or actually real of course I knew it was fake! Congragulations to the writers of oltl for getting this amazing charasmatic talented actor back! Roger Howarth you are a unbelievably amazing talented actor who should be a huge movie star in the movies with oscars by now! The fake Todd was a crappy actor and Im glad hes gone good riddance! Roger Howarth plays todd mannning brillantly with so many layers and emotions simotanoiusly he is oltl he can be the entire show we dont even really need a cast anymore!! He plays todd with insanity, evilness, warth, vunerability and sadness while still playing him as a pissed off callous bastard like I have never seen !!! Welcome home roger you are the best actor I have ever seen and I remember your amazing acting from when I was just a little kid watching a soap in the summer time!! Roger you are a true talent and fake todd well glad hes off the show sucked anyway!

2. KristianB says:

Todd’s back!! Enough said. =D

3. I says:

This is such amazing news. Don’t get me wrong, TSJ was my Todd for the first few years of his run, but he’s been sleepwalking through his scenes since the execution story. Even at his most bored, RH acted circles around whatever TSJ has been doing.

4. Tara says:

Come on. The show is obviously canceled and Howarth finally decided to return to send the show off. Enjoy it, Todd & Blair fans.

5. This news is bringing one fan back. I finally stopped watching OLTL after decades of viewing because I had enough. But how can I not watch the return of Roger Howarth? And, then, I’m sure I’ll get hooked all over again.

6. Allison says:

Frons actually did something right??? Keep OLTL on the air duncehead

• Joanne Morris says:

Please! keep OLTL .This is one of my favorit shows. It helps me not to think of my problems even for one hour a day. I have watched from day one.

7. Angel says:

I’m guessing RH will be Todd and they’ll pair him with Blair, while TSJ will be someone else and they will keep him with Tea.

However I think RH only agreed to sign knowing it is a short term contract…and he he there to help usher OLTL off the air.

8. Amber says:

SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!! Is this for reals???? I love, LOVE Roger Howarth, but Trevor St. John pulled off an amazing feat by filling those huge shoes he left behind. I now couldn’t picture the role of Todd not being played by Trevor. However, I do think Roger will be playing the real Todd once again, and that Trevor will probably turn out to be a fraud. Just please don’t let them do the evil twin thing, that has been played out to death. And I do think it all must be connected to the shooting, I’ve been trying to figure out for weeks where they’ve been going with that.

Is OLTL really rumored to be headed for cancellation? That breaks my heart, it’s the only soap I watch regularly now at this point. I started watching it on summer vacations as a 12-year old…ever since Cord and Tina met, and Vicki was pregnant with Jessica and was running around as Nicki, and have been watching on and off ever since.

• Lakisha Scott says:

Trevor may know how to act, but he was never able to fill those huge shoes of Rogers’. The character TOTALLY changed. He went from deep, dark, and sarcastically humorous, to a total cornball…I would say that TSJ actually killed the character. Don’t get me wrong, I never said that TSJ could not act, He just can’t act like Roger (Todd).But to each his own.=).

• elizabeth bodetko says:

what amber said,i totally agree. pat

9. Sheila says:

Ok Ok ……Trever can go now………He never did take the place of the Real Todd, This should be good, But Trever needs to step back……..You need a real bad boy to play that part. And a bad boy Trever Isnt…..I am so happy that he is back…ratings will boost now that OLTL came to there senses

10. bb says:

This soapy news is pretty darn good compared to all the cancellation talk. But, I do worry about having both of them on screen together. They tried it on General Hospital with the original Carly and the current one. It wasn’t very successful and they killed Claudia off. I would hate to see either of them go before you can finish saying Victoria Lord Gordon Riley Burke Buchanan Buchanan Carpenter Davidson Banks.

11. AlistairCrane says:

They just fired Susan Haskell (Marty), so I am mighty upset that Roger and Susan won’t be sharing scenes. Damn it!

• Kelly says:

That really does suck. Their storyline was one of the show’s most powerful. I was hoping to see them interact again.

12. Ryan says:

Greatest news ever! I am a huge fan of Roger’s, but I also love TSJ. They’ve got to find a way to keep both of these guys on. My only problem of making TSJ an imposter and having RH be the real Todd is that I don’t want to see RH take off and leave in 6 months like he’s done to us in the past. Then once again we’d be stuck without Todd Manning on the show, and he’s top male character on the show! If I knew Roger, would stay, I’d be fine with it though.

13. Brock says:

Echoes of Days of our Lives’ John Black and Roman Brady.

• jnow says:

My thoughts EXACTLY… but when was the last time in the past 10-15 years soaps didn’t recycle another soap’s storyline (or THEIR OWN… yes i’m talking to you All My Children and your Tornado in Pine Valley: Part 2 storyline!)?

14. D says:

This thrills me to no end! I really hope they do this story justice. Here’s hoping the OLTL writers don’t take there “big comback” writing cues from GH’s Guza.

15. deedeedragons says:

Does sound like that DOOL storyline.

16. Kelly says:

So happy he is back. Disappointed that they are getting rid of Marty when the real Todd comes back.

17. Anne says:

Maybe he is coming back to finish up the Todd story before the show is cancelled. Because that news doesn’t seem to be going away.

18. betsy says:

My guess: a short term contract for RH which is limited to a flashback to when Tomas met Todd the first time. Gotta have the right face!

• Lakisha Scott says:

Good theory, but I hope you’re wrong, for Roger Howarth, I’ve waited too long, he’s coming back, he’s on his way, and this time I hope he stays.=) Sorry, but I had to cheer myself up after reading your theory…lol.

19. Tego Livi says:

Given my druthers, I’d rather have Trevor St. John–not a dig at Roger Howarth, but I like the character better as a long-time lead as he is played by TSJ (though even then I wish they would quit skirting the edge of evil like they do periodically). As it is, it doesn’t matter all that much to me any more. I finally gave up the show a few years ago when they broke up too many couples I liked and made too many couples I didn’t care about. Too many silly tangents (like Cristian being an artist, then a boxer, then a bartender) and boring characters (mumbly detective John, for example)….I finally just lost interest. Now that the same basic thing happened with Young & the Restless, I’ve finally managed to end my more than 30-year period as a soap fan, and I really don’t miss them all that much.

20. Vanessa says:

I wonder how long he signed on for. I honestly can’t see Roger signing on for a long period of time. Then again, I honestly can’t see OLTL lasting a long period of time either.

21. Flip says:

I wish they were keeping Susan Haskell. If Roger’s character isn’t Todd, they can pair him with Marty.

22. Linda says:

Awesome news. Can’t wait to see him in whatever capacity they use him…well except with Blair. Don’t want another round of Todd and Blair. I’d rather see him with Tea or Tess…anybody but Blair.

• Lakisha Scott says:

Tecnically, Tess is his niece, but me myself I loved Rogers'(Todd)with Blair. They were two lost souls trying to find comfort in each other, and they had the best chemistry on the show, in terms of lovers; but Roger Howarth and Erika Slezak had great sibling chemistry.

• Castiel28 says:

I totally agree. The real Todd and Tea were always the best couple to me on OLTL. Roger and Flo have a kind of chemistry that is next to impossible to match. they could convey more emotion with just a simple shared look between them than Todd and Blair could do in their entire relationship. I really felt that after Tea, Todd really just outgrew Blair, and not for a second did I enjoy watching Todd with Blair after he was with Tea.
      I really hope they didn’t bring him back just to put him back with Blair; I will be deeply disappointed. Bring back the fire of the original TNT!

23. judi says:

If they play the twins card, how can they explain why vicky didnt know about the other twin. And as I remember, when roger’s contract was up and he wasnt on the show anymore, he said he hated playing that part and wont ever do it again. And marty getting fired, now john will find out hes the real father. So, it looks to me that the real todd is back, the other todd will die because the real todd had him bumped off. john will know hes the real father and get back with natalie. Vicky will dump charlie and he will ride off into the sunset with echo. Vicky and dorian are best friends and everyone lives happily ever after. loose ends are tied up for the finally. PLEASE prove me wrong!

24. Spikenalabama says:

Don’t care how they write him back in…I’m just glad he’s back. I will enjoy seeing these to incredibly good looking men on my tv everyday!!

25. Dominique says:

I like the todd they have now and i hope they do a whole flip flop where RH is with tea and not TSJ… in that case i won’t be watching, but if it helps the show oh well, one viewer isn’t much.

26. jnow says:

I think even better… Not only is he gonna be Todd’s long-lost twin brother, but the long lost twin brother is… drumroll… PAUL RYAN!

I remember when he started on As The World Turns thinking, this is too weird, how can I possibly think of Evil Todd as kind-of-bad-but-not-really Paul. But he definitely grew on my as Paul (much the same way I thought Cady McClain was better at playing/being Rosanna on ATWT than boring Dixie on All My Children)…

I know that’s most likely NOT the case, but wouldn’t that be MetaInteresting!

27. mike says:

Great news for the best written and acted soap on the air, One Life to Live.

28. Meredith44 says:

I watched ABC soaps from high school through freshman year of college, and the Todd/Blair storyline was a big part of that. This news made me flash back, and I may have to check out OLtL, just for old times’ sake.

29. Rprice says:

What I don’t understand is how can RH still be Todd. Didn’t Tea have a DNA test done when she first returned to prove Danny was Todd’s. I remember her saying that. Danny was created on the island and was that prior to the Todd face listen?

30. Tracy says:

If the new guy isn’t Todd then how does his DNA match Danni?

31. julie says:

If RH is the real Todd, then OLTL is pulling a Roman Brady…If any of you watched Days, Drake Hogestyn played Roman for many years and became a fan favorite with leading lady Diedra Hall, Roman and Marlena. When the real roman returned we found out Roman(played by Drake) was actually John Black and yes John and Marlena stayed together.

32. Lakisha Scott says:

Trevor is Odd Roger is Todd, lets welcome him back so the part is in tact…Trevor St. John may be okay, but the part belongs to Roger, needless to say. enough said…

33. Patricia says:

I’ve been watching One Life since 1979, so I am truly a fan of Roger Howath’s Todd (when did his surname become Howarth, by the way?) Love all the aforementioned theories, I have none, just super excited about RH’s return.

34. Karen says:

I have never been able to accept TSJ as Todd and I am SO happy RH is back!!!! I gave up watching OLTL shortly after RH left. I really hope he plays Todd because he is the one and only Todd!!!! I can’t wait!!!!!

35. gin says:

I’m sooo happy AND excited to hear Roger is coming back!!! Always the fact that he left. But understood why. Now I’m estactic to see how this will play out. Trevor never really filled his shoes, however did a good job maintaining the character. We got to give credit Where credit is due. Yay!!!! I can’t wait to see Roger and I hope he isn’t coming back as a vindictive villain.

36. Elaine Clark says:

YEAH !!!!!! for the real Todd

boo that the show is cancelled !!!!! truly a sad day !!!!!!

T
    My daughter and I will personally miss this wonderful show when it goes to the great shows graveyard to be replaced by some dumb show that won’t last one season……

37. Ms. Wordalicious says:

Dear Megan,

For future articles, the word is RUSE, not ROUSE.

38. Maria says:

I MISS ROger as Todd. The new Todd IS a very good actor. They just gave him the WRONG role. He is NOT believable. He is not hard. He is not scary, or funny. Like ROger is as Todd. I just wonder how they are going to do this, with both Todds. And, WHO will be the first to see him.

39. Beatriz says:

Love the fact Roger is back, I watched OLTL since the Cord/Tina days in the 80s and became a big Todd fan….stopped watching once Roger left and will start watching and keep watching as long as he is on…..YAY!!!

40. Sonja says:

I’m over the moon excited about Roger’s return! I’ve always loved me some complicated Howarthian Todd Manning! <3 Someone just save this fabulous show already!

41. Jackie says:

Roger is the only real Todd there is. The writers gave a weak excuse when he was replaced with St. John. The few scenes we’ve seen with Todd/Roger is showing the real Todd is back. Now Todd was like Blair had serious problems but Todd could have grown to change like Blair did. I will never forget when Blair asked Todd to deliver her baby. Todd looked like his crazy confused self and his line was priceless. Todd said ” I don’t know nothing bout birthing no baby”. A line out of off Prissy in Gone With the Wind as Butterfly McQueen’s part as slave girl Prissy made that a classic. Roger just did such a great job as Todd it seems he never left but St. John has been the fake Todd all this time. Time has been good to Roger he’s still as cute as ever and really is a great actor.

42. angie says:

Iove TSJ..he IS Todd…. he spent more years playing the part. He transformed from the un lovable monster to the man he is today. He has me in stitches sometimes with the things he pops off with. I hope some how they can hold on and the show will stay on. My theory is that since Soap Net started people that work just watch it in that channel instead of ABC. Even if you DVR it ABC still gets the rating. But if we watch it on Soap Net, then ABC doesn’t hence the drop inratings. Come on people, tape it from ABC and the ratings will go back up… then they won’t cancel the show. I LOVE OLTL…..

43. phyllis shears says:

So glad Roger Howarth is coming back on One Life To Live.He is one of my favorite actors.I’ve really missed him playing as Tod Manning.I hope he never leaves the show again.

44. Nurghe says:

I missed the Roger, the first Todd at first but grew to like Trevor, the latest Todd. I am sorry to see him leave as he did a nice job portraying that role. however, he never portrayed that role as the screwed-up rapist, bad guy. Roger will certainly bring that back to the character ‘cos if anything, he’ll be really angry for being away from his life in Llanview for all of these years. I really am glad to have him back but I really wish there was room for both.

I will certainly miss the show!

45. Bella says:

I want the real Todd, Roger, to come back and remain as TOdd.
    Do not kill him off. He is sooo much better. We want him back!

46. liz says:

There is only 1 Luke Spencer, only 1 JR Ewing, only 1 Victor Newman
    and there should have been only 1 Todd Manning. Welcome back Roger
    hope you are staying. Haven’t been a regular watcher in a long time but when I heard about Roger returning but I set my DVD for every episode and I’ll stay ONLY as long as he does. Any chance of Tommy Lee Jones ever making a cameo appearance as Dorian’s long lost lover?

• liz says:

Sorry I had one too many buts in that comment and it was my DVR that I set not a DVD . . . . SEE how EXCITED I am. Oh, if I have to I will accept Roger as a different character, but please, please, please just stay!

47. Maria Lawrence says:

I did my “happy dance” when I learned Roger was back! I never accepted St.John as Todd.Then when as I saw it,on one of the award shows St.John “dised” Kasssie(Blair)when she reached for his hand as most soap couples do,and he jerked his hand away from hers like she had cooties or something! That was the last straw for him as far as I was concerned. He just didn’t have the right spin on the role to be Todd.No comedy,no munchies,all dark.No vulnerablity to off set the plotting etc. Welcome back Roger!! Love Ya!

48. Toni says:

I am excited about the return of the original Todd Manning, Roger Howarth. I am sad that they are cancelling the show. I do have a question though. How can Tea not tell the difference between the previous Todd (RH) and TSJ after she has slept with them? Is their private parts the same size??

49. Toni says:

50. pam says:

I have mixed feelings at first because I love Trevor but when I because watching Roger again it just jolted my memories. I get emotional just watching his character try to come back and claim his life. I want Roger back and feel bad for Trevor but it’s 100% Roger for me.