Amazing Race: Did You Cry at the Pit Stop?

Call me a sentimental fool. Call me a mama’s boy. Call me somebody who takes my reality television a little too seriously. You’d be right on all counts. But call me the only person who got a little choked up at the end of Sunday night’s edition of The Amazing Race: Unfinished Business, and I’d call you crazy misinformed.

Things kicked off with one last task in Kunming, China, where contestants had to taste a mango-papaya tea before hopping on a plane and heading to Kolkata, India. Mallory hooted and danced after sipping her beverage, then displayed a similar manic enthusiasm navigating huge crowds after disembarking at the Kolkata airport. “I already love India!” she squealed. The funniest moment of the episode came when Mallory delivered a round of playful spankings to her competitors for sending her frantically racing to a nonexistent clue box while the rest of them set up camp for an overnight stay outside the locked town hall gates. “Oh my gosh, we’re like a pack of dogs!” she hooted. In which case, girlfriend is the excitable toy poodle.

The following morning, the teams rushed inside for what was possibly the all-time least effective example of product placement on a network reality show — a Road Block in which players had to wade through thousands of cups of tea to try to identify the mango-papaya flavor they’d sampled in China. Ron and Jet wisely used their olfactory powers to identify the correct cup, but other players weren’t so adept. Reduced to a tea-tasting haze, Flight Time guzzled indiscriminately, repeatedly splattering tea down his chin and all over his t-shirt. A frustrated Zev smashed his mug to the ground after what seemed like Incorrect Guess No. 573. And as the last player left in the room, Luke was reduced to a sobbing mess, crying “it’s too hard” to his supportive mom while a room full of local tea-room employees looked at him as if to say, “Dude, if too much tea is your idea of a hardship…” Still, when Luke eventually cracked the code, everyone in the room joined in the celebration, lifting the hearing-impaired contestant into the air before sending him on to his next task. I don’t know about you all, but the harrowing taste test didn’t exactly get me revved up to try Snapple’s new papaya-mango line extension.

Alas, Luke and Margie were unable to make up any ground at the Detour — where teams had the choice of painting a statue of Ganesha (“We draw on eyebrows every day!” said an excited Kent) or delivering books to a local academy via rickshaw school bus (which left Gary feeling like “a monkey in circus parade”).

When Margie and Luke finally reached the Pit Stop, the latter player fell to the mat, defeated, while his mother hugged him and told him she didn’t blame them for their ouster. Cut to Luke signing the following in his confessional: “Being on The Amazing Race was a big dream for me. I never thought I could be on The Amazing Race. I had a wonderful time racing with my mom.” And I’m not ashamed to admit that in that moment, I was reaching for the Kleenex to dab the corners of my eyes. How about you? Take our poll below, and then sound off on your thoughts on the week’s Race in the comments.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Jennifer says:

I was just relieved that they didn’t offer poor Luke a free Snapple at the pit stop. “Hey, sorry you sucked at the road block. Have a free iced tea as a consolation.” Dude would have gone ballistic!

• realtruth says:

Cry! I cheered. I am so glad that baby is off the show. His mother did him no favors raising him as a big baby.

• djm says:

I thought it was sweet when the guys in the room cheered for him and I was SHOCKED that the Flight Time was actually kind of cool by hugging him at the end, but no, I cheered when they got the boot. Sorry, but I despised them the first time they were on and I didn’t like them much more the second time. Luke always comes acrosss as spoiled, childish and sort of a bully (at least the first time he was on), so no, I will not miss him.

• Angela says:

Did you notice that when they were walking away from the map at the end SHE was carrying both of their back packs! That is typical of how she was throughout the race: carrying him. He said the tea challenge was “the hardest thing” he has ever had to do. Drinking tea?! She really has sheltered him too much!

• Mo says:

I also didn’t care for Luke the first season that they were racing, as I felt that he was something of a brat/bully and felt that Margie despite being supportive comes across needy and too sheltering – the tell tale is that she never (at least mentioned in their first season) taught Luke to read lips, so she always has to be around for him to get by….

• Joey says:

LOL, I can totally imagine that happening!

2. Dasha says:

I did not shed a tear because Luke & Margie’s elimination. Luke’s whole reason for going on TAR was to prove to the world that deafness does not prevent people from living their lives to the fullest and doing all the things that hearing people can do. Instead, he demostrated that he is a cry baby and a spoiled brat. His mother is his enabler. Instead of telling him to buck up and stop acting like a baby, she kept talking to him like he was 5. He is 25 years old, for crying out loud! Every time the task got even remotely challenging, he’d start crying. I’ve worked with deaf and heard of hearing people, and let me tell you, none of them acted like Luke. “It’s so hard, it’s so hard. W-a-a-a-a-a-a!” Grow up!

• Cujo says:

Agreed. I don’t feel sorry for him at all. There are much stronger representatives of the deaf community on TV, Marlene Matlin, for instance.

The task was all about taste & smell, shouldn’t have been a problem for Luke. Now if he had to do the Piano task from a couple of seasons ago, that would be hard.

3. Rock Golf says:

Hell, no, I didn’t cry. Luke has regularly shown himself to be a crybaby who breaks out into tears at the slightest frustration. He’s pushy, arrogant, and pretty much unlikeable, based on the 2 series I’ve seen him in.

4. sara says:

Did I cry at the pit stop? Yes, I cried on behalf of all the millions of intelligent, level headed, competent deaf people who do not act like bratty 5 year olds when they don’t get their way.

That had to be the easiest task in TAR history. Tea. Seriously.

• TaraMisu says:

Totally agree. It was TEA! I am so glad they are gone.

• Stacey says:

Except it wasn’t really. You had to have been paying attention to the tea when they first drank it in China. Some obviously didn’t, so it came back to haunt. It was a needle in a haystack task for only one person so they didn’t have their partner helping. Plus, there was a lot of cups. I could see lots got confused, and took along time.

I wasn’t a fan of Luke. I know he was probably exhausted, miffed at being last and that plays on someone. But he should have stayed strong, instead of collapsing. I didn’t see the Globetrotter collapsing at not getting it… And this task wasn’t made hard by his disability, it was the ability to taste and smell…not hear…

It’s obvious, when it’s hard and not easy. And he doesn’t have his mother to enable him; he wants to quit…

• Joey says:

No, they just had to make sense out of the mango and papaya offering at the beginning of the task. That should have been a pretty major clue: to look for a tea with a citrus flavor. Nobody even mentioned that during the challenge.

5. Debbie says:

Wow! Harsh comments for Luke. I did cry, but I’m a sucker for this show. The pit stop mat can reduce the coldest people to a blubbering mess. I felt bad for Luke, he’s an emotional person who wears his heart on his sleeve. If that makes him a cry-baby, then so be it. But we aren’t running the race and don’t know the stresses they are going thru on a minute by minute basis. Luke crys, Gev breaks a cup, Flight Time got mad, Mallory prayed. They all deal with it in different ways.

• Mother's Little Helper says:

He didn’t just cry. He threw a full-blown tantrum including rolling around on the floor. He’s a 25-year-old adult man! And then his mother goes over and reinforces that behavior!?! I am SO glad to see them gone.

• Full Monty Burns says:

I can’t fault Margie for doing what she could to get Luke to finish. They were still racing. If she had to offer him a piece of candy to get them a chance to continue, that’s the right move within the race. It’s not time to be correcting past parenting mistakes. As a racer, you do whatever it takes to stay alive.

What she may deserve criticism for (I say “may” because some kids are resistant to good parenting) is raising a kid who feels entitled to throw a tantrum during the tea tasting AND at the mat.

• Lindsay says:

Where exactly did you see him ‘rolling on the floor’? I saw him sink to the floor in frustration, not rolling around.

I wouldn’t call it a full blown tantrum, either. Unless he was screaming and smashing things, that’s not a ‘full blown tantrum’ at all.

6. CB says:

No tears for this team. They exhibited this same spoiled behavior when they were on the first time.

7. Jon says:

I did tear up at the end, but I did not feel sorry for them. Luke still comes off as a spoiled brat, not a handi-capable person, just handicapped.

8. Bob says:

Nope. No tears for this team. It’s time for Luke to grow up and move away from Mommy. He’s 25 and deaf, not mentally challenged, so enough of the temper tantrums and hissy fits. Sorry for the harshness, but that’s reality.

9. Kay says:

Yes I cried…TEARS OF JOY.

• Angela says:

Me too! Now that they are gone, I hope the goths go next. Then I don’t care who wins: I like the rest of them.

10. Sean says:

My Random Thoughts:

– I LOVED Luke’s total and utter meltdown. “Why is this so tough?”, he cried. Simply put, because for the first time in this Race, Team Freeloader was on their own. And this petulant child kept whining and complaining to his mom, which accomplished nothing but delaying him in completing the Road Block even longer. And with the way he was wailing constantly, it’s not like her consolations even helped him. He just kept crying like Roy Williams after one of his teams gets eliminated from the NCAA Tournament (by the way, adios UNC!)

– I’m absolutely thrilled that Margie and Luke were eliminated, and I have no sympathy for Luke’s crocodile tears at the end. He was his typical, sulky self, plopping himself down on the mat like a child having a tantrum. Phil made the effort on EVERY LEG in BOTH of their seasons to use sign language to give them their result specifically for Luke, and now he’s refusing to even have the decency and respect to stand up and listen to Phil?.

After you’re done here at TVLine, I hope you’ll check out the rest of my recap at

11. Kelly says:

Nope, didn’t cry either. I agree with everyone else about Luke being a crybaby. This challenge was perfect for someone with his disability because there was a zero hearing/communication aspect. And the utter lack of respect he showed by plopping onto the mat shows how immature he really is. Definitely time for him to go home!

While I do think Margie is also to blame by being his enabler, I still do have some admiration for her. She performed remarkably in the challenges and did a really good job of carrying her team for two races.

12. Laurel says:

No I didn’t cry.
    Actually the challenge was a bit unfair.
    Towards the end there weren’t 100’s of cups of tea on the table for Luke to try there were only 25 or so.

Every other team had to deal with the entire table FULL of cups and they did it.
    And as others have pointed out Luke made a habit out of crying and becoming temperamental everytime things didn’t go his way.
    It was getting old.

• SSH says:

I also didn’t cry and can’t stand Luke b/c he’s a whiny baby, but I disagree that the challenge was unfair. I’m pretty sure the reason that at the end there were only 25 or so cups of tea (instead of the full table of cups) isn’t b/c they made it easier for Luke, but b/c the rest had already been drank (drunk?)

• Nina says:

They were replacing cups in the beginning of the challenge so that it was a level playing field for all of the remaining players.

When a player took a cup up another was put in it’s place.
        Luke didn’t have to deal with an entire table of cups.

13. dctoronto says:

I truly am disgusted by the ammount of people who sit back in their chairs, sum people up based on what ammounts to a few minutes of screen time and then rip them to shreds.
    Has it ever occurred to anyone that Luke may have other issues as well? I’m sure things outside of the race have not always been easy for him or his family.

• Stacey says:

We can only base our opinions – good and bad, from what we see. And given this is a All Star edition and the second time Luke and his mother have appeared. And if he acts the same way, then there is precedent to think that is how he might behave in real life. Of course we don’t know what happens in their lives. Only what is shown on a reality show. This is the not the first time we have seen Luke. It’s the second time. Of course, it’s stressful to be on this kind of show. But still, it’s possible he’s like this in real life… So no, I am not going to feel sorry for him… It was a task that his disability made it impossible… in fact, it was perfect with someone of his disability. I understand him being frustrated. I am sure I would too, but his tantrum is not the right thing to handle it. It was afterall tea…

• Debbie says:

Agreed! Yes, he’s emotional, but we don’t see the whole picture. He may have had less cups by the end of the challenge, but I’m sure by them every cup tasted the same. Its an overwhelming challenge looking at that table. He also knew the longer he took (especially after the globetrotters finished), the more likely they would be eliminated and he didn’t want to disappoint his mom. Cut the guy some slack. You didn’t do the challenge so we can’t really know what he was going through.

• Full Monty Burn says:

If the challenge was really overwhelming, the other racers have as much trouble as Luke. They succeeded when there were far more full cups, and they weren’t allowed to bring a bunch of them up to the judge. Many finished quickly, and everyone else eventually got through it.

Being crushed by a challenge happens on the Amazing Race. Haystacks! But lying down and crying? We didn’t see that even on the Season That Must Not Be Named.

14. susela says:

Oh, Slezak, you softie, don’t ever change. But I didn’t cry for Luke. Didn’t he watch his season from the last time he ran the race? It may have helped him gain a little self-knowledge for this run. I got the feeling that his whole life he’s been telling Mama “It’s too hard,” and she’s been cosseting him instead of helping him learn how to fend for himself. It was particularly graceless for him to throw himself down on the mat in a sulk instead of facing Phil like a man.

15. Lyn says:

If they had paid attention, the fruit they picked up as they entered the building was a huge clue about the flavor they were trying to remember. It didn’t need to be quite as difficult if they had thought about all the clues. Glad the cry-baby has gone.

16. Erin says:

Okay so my husband and I discussed this at length last night. When Luke & Margie were on their season of TAR, we could not stand him at all. He whined, cried, and yelled all the time. I was absolutely disappointed to see him return this season. However, last night during the tea debacle, my husband turned to me and said, “Is it possible that I feel bad for Luke?” I don’t know if the mother/son relationship is truly more endearing this season or if the TAR editors did an excellent job of portraying another ridiculous Luke meltdown as a legitimate reason to cry. I mean, I hate papaya too.

17. M says:

Yes, of course. They were my favorite team, and I’ll sure miss them from my screen. But one thing is for sure – whatever show they end up on next, I’ll be watching. Especially Luke. Rawr.

18. Andrea says:

I felt so bad for Margie and Luke during the tea challenge. I didn’t see them during their season, but the hate on the boards is overwhelming. Overall, I think Margie is one tough mama…she is physically fit and very smart. I can understand why she is so protective of her son. Luke’s breakdown was a little ott, but I loved how the Indian people in the tea room cheered when he finally got the correct cup. I’m so glad I got into this show over the past three years. Even when I don’t really care for a team, I can appreciate that a wide diversity of people makes for an interesting race.

• Full Monty Burns says:

No hate for Luke here. They were both less sensitive this season (or received a better edit) than the first time around. But that was a poor effort and does nothing for his mission of proving that he’s just like everybody else. Most people his age don’t throw tantrums.

The only part that almost made me cry was the seemingly spontaneous support offered by the Indian men at the challenge. It would have been easy to turn their backs on him (This is hard? Did you not have your eyes open on the way here?).

Margie, on her own, is bad ass. She was 90% responsible for getting them into the Final 3 in their first attempt. With a stronger partner she’d be formidable.

19. Teresa says:

I don’t know why, but it seems like a lot of the teams are getting hate thrown at them — merely because they are struggling more this season. Which is most likely because the race itself is harder than the usual race. When Mel and Mike were eliminated, Mike was called a wimp for calling it quits. Now Luke is being called a spoiled child because he’s emotional.

And Flight Time and Big Easy, who were seen as charming in their last season, are seen as lazy freeloaders. The cowboys are stupid hicks. Christina and Ron are now unbearable.

As far as I can tell, the only team people are liking more this time around are the cheerleaders. At least Jamie didn’t start screaming when the guy whose mirror she broke refused to let her off the hook.

As for me, I cried a little when Luke broke down. We all have different breaking points, Luke just seems like a guy without a lot of filters. And, unlike some of the guys on the race who throw tantrums, he doesn’t throw them AT Margie. He doesn’t blame HER because he’s screwing up. He just gets frustrated.

• Full Monty Burns says:

That’s funny, it seems like the opposite to me. There’s been a distinct lack of villain editing. I don’t post on TWOP but I do read the TAR forums, and I sense less vitriol for everyone, even Ron. Maybe some people who didn’t like certain teams the first time around have hardened their opinions, but overall I’ve seen much less hate.

Anyone who called Mike a wimp can stuff it. They weren’t a strong team, but you can’t out-tough hypothermia, especially when you weigh 115 pounds.

There have been plenty of jerks on the show, mostly boyfriend/husband jerks, and it’s not my intention to defend any of them. But how many of them have snapped when they’re doing a roadblock? It’s more typical, in my recollection, that the guy is sitting on the sidelines berating his partner. That’s a terrible way to behave, in life and as a racer, but it’s not exactly the same as Luke losing it during an indoor, well-lighted challenge when EVERYONE is being supportive. And then still not being able to pull it together when he gets to the mat.

20. janie says:

I did not see the previous season with Luke on it.. i only started watching Amazng Race the season that Jeff and Jordan from Big Brother were on because i liked them.. but i have to say i think something more than being deaf is going on with Luke.. the way he was behaving was very similar to the way that Zev behaved when they had to find all the signs on the zodiac and Zev has asberger’s..maybe Luke has a mild form of autism but just has never been diagnosed or they didnt want to say for some reason…
    I will not miss them because I actually prefer Zev andi think he is sweet and cute and i hope he wins! :) The major thing that bothered me about luke and his mother is that his mother let him drive all over europe.. I don’t understand how a deaf person is able to drive? they need to be able hear if an ambulance is approaching, etc.. also, how did his mother read the directions to him? i think there was more cheating going on there than they showed.. they show other people like Vyxsen reading a map wrong and getting lost.. we never saw Luke’s mom reading a map and telling luke where to makes me wonder if they had some sort of gps system that allowed him to read where he needed to go and helped them find things easier?

• amcgraw says:

You’re kidding right? Think about all the distractions that hearing drivers give themselves and you’ll realize that driving is not an auditory task. In fact, studies have shown that deaf people are much safer drivers than hearing drivers. You don’t drive with your ears.

And for the person who complained that Margie never taught Luke to lipread — you clearly have no understanding of what it takes to lipread. Try it sometime. Only 30% of English is visible on the lips, the rest is guesswork.