Breaking: Fox Renews Fringe for Season 4!

Get More: News, Renewals, Scoop

In any universe, this is the Best. News. Ever:  Fringe has been renewed!

A Fox spokesperson confirms to TVLine that the acclaimed (yet ratings-challenged) drama will return for a fourth season next fall — and a full season (22 episodes!) at that.

The news was announced on Twitter this evening by executive producer J.H. Wyman. “Fringe was picked up,” he wrote. “Thanks Fringedom!”

The pickup comes despite last Friday’s episode hitting a series low 3.85 million viewers. Fox, however, points out that the show still ranks as Friday’s No. 1 series among adults 18-49 and, creatively speaking, it’s never been better.

Fringe has truly hit a creative stride and has distinguished itself as one of television’s most original programs,” raves Fox president Kevin Reilly. “The series’ ingenious producers, amazingly talented cast and crew, as well as some of the most passionate and loyal fans on the planet, made this fourth-season pickup possible. When we moved the show to Fridays, we asked the fans to follow and they did. We’re thrilled to bring it back for another full season and keep it part of the Fox family.”

“This early pickup comes at a perfect time as we start production on the Season Three finale,” added Fringe showrunners Jeff Pinkner and J.H. Wyman. “We join the cast and crew in thanking our loyal fans and Fox for allowing us to have this much fun telling stories we love.”

And with that, TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard has been updated.

Get the party started in the comments section! And while your at it, with Fringe out of harm’s way, how about throwing Nikita some support in our “Renew Our Show” Bracket Tourney? It’s the right thing to do people.

Tags: ,

Comments (186)

• excellent.

Comment by Kyle – March 24, 2011 06:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yay there is a God

Comment by sparky – March 24, 2011 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re right. Best. News. Ever.

Comment by John Berggren – March 25, 2011 06:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yaayyyyy Fringe is renewed. All I need is Nikita and I’m set.

Comment by Ally – March 25, 2011 07:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jesus! I literally shouted ‘YES!’ as soon as I saw the headline, and in the middle of a seminar…

Comment by Altair – March 25, 2011 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah!This is the Best series ever!

Comment by Roland – March 26, 2011 04:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There is a god!

Comment by John Ruggeri – March 24, 2011 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG!!! WTG Fox!!! Finally a good decision regarding quality sci fi on your channel!

Comment by Marsha – March 24, 2011 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best. News. Ever. :)

Comment by keila – March 24, 2011 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • :O !!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Now Chuck and I’ll be OK.)

Comment by Michael – March 24, 2011 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS times a million.

Comment by Elizabeth – March 24, 2011 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly!
      We got Fringe, Parks and Rec, and Community now. TV 2011 only needs CHUCK to be perfect.

Comment by Aiden – March 24, 2011 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree!! I was worried about two shows: 1) finge 2) chuck. 1 down, 1 to go!!

Comment by Lauren – March 24, 2011 10:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amen to that.

Comment by Joe C. – March 24, 2011 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree all the way. I really thought Fringe might be over with, but this is awesome news!

But Chuck? Oh man. I’ll be fidgeting nervously until we get some news!

Comment by Bethany – March 24, 2011 11:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Big FAT ol’ DITTO from me!!!

Comment by Avon – March 25, 2011 06:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is amazing news I was certain it was going to be canceled I guess FOX didn’t want another Firefly on their hands

Comment by David – March 24, 2011 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

A well deserved renewal. Fringe put up a hell of a season. I only hope the creators finally take this as a sign to finally put Astrid more into the fold and perhaps even a “Astrid-Centric” episode.

Comment by Brian – March 24, 2011 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the best news ever! I am so friggin happy!

Comment by Gen – March 24, 2011 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Restores my faith in lots of things :)

Comment by ck – March 24, 2011 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG OMG THIS IS THE BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!

Comment by Amy – March 24, 2011 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That is great news

Comment by Steven – March 24, 2011 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome! Thanks Fox for giving us a 4th season!

Comment by Annie – March 24, 2011 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FOX’s executives thank you for getting your heads out of you asses and renewing this absolute brilliant show! shame on you for even thinking of canceling it!

Comment by ana muller – March 24, 2011 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Now just do the same thing for “Human Target” and you will be my favorite network!

Comment by Gwen – March 25, 2011 06:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now I just need Chuck to be renewed.

But at least I’ll get 1/2 of my favorite shows.

Comment by Tim – March 24, 2011 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A night of miracle saves

Comment by Carolyn – March 24, 2011 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • so true Carolyn! and I first found out about the renewal from the A.I. comment section. I’m happy – give Fox some love and continued viewership for Fringe!

Comment by forrest – March 24, 2011 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy!!!! I was so worried!!!

Comment by Sasha – March 24, 2011 06:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too!!! I can now watch the show without worrying about it being cancelled!

Comment by IC – March 25, 2011 04:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously! I am spent. After months of people saying- Look, it got moved to Fridays, on FOX, it’s going to be cancelled; having every article with marginally good news about Fringe followed by a dozen comments about how Fringe would be “burnt on the ceiling”- whatever that means; being on tenterhooks every Saturday to hear how the ratings were- I can finally relax and enjoy!

Comment by emily – March 25, 2011 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • amazing, amazing! Finally! Now all i’m praying for Chuck to be renewed!

Comment by Tharcyla – March 24, 2011 06:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Woo Hoo!! Great news! So glad I decided to come to this site just now. I came strainght here from EW.com and they didn’t have this news up yet. Thanks Ausiello!

Comment by Mindy – March 24, 2011 06:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I literally just screamed with joy. Must know details! -refreshes constantly-

Comment by Zoe – March 24, 2011 06:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yes yes yes yes yessssssssssss! :D

Comment by erika – March 24, 2011 06:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wonderful news! Thank you, FOX!

Comment by Mena – March 24, 2011 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES!!! Best news I’ve heard all day. Win for quality television.
    Such talented acting, especially from Anna Torv. Hopefully she will get some recognition for the amount of talent she has displayed this season playing three(!) different characters. It’s so nice to have a show that isn’t afraid to “go there” in the way that most network shows usually are. I can’t wait for season 4!

Comment by HP – March 24, 2011 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank god. Now take it off Fridays and put it on Tuesday or something.

Comment by Clay – March 24, 2011 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, Friday night is what did it. Seriously find another night…. a spoooky night any night but Friday. YEA YEA YEA FRINGE IS BACK… YEA YEA YEA FRINGE IS BACK….. which Olive are you rooting for? what the hell do you mean they don’t rememember Peter? Who’s babysitting Henry? Which Walter will break first? oH and where the hell did Peter go? Hmmm stay tuned for SEASON 4!!!!!

Comment by Krazyspender – May 7, 2011 11:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s great news! Now CHUCK PLEASE…

Comment by ac – March 24, 2011 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Congrats on a job well done to this amazing cast & writers! Keep the ep’s coming!

Comment by liz – March 24, 2011 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HELL YEAH!

Comment by Liz – March 24, 2011 06:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Take that, Firefly!!! (just kidding, just kidding!! :)).

Comment by Michael Sacal – March 24, 2011 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe=good stuff!

Comment by DLDX – March 24, 2011 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • k so that means that in the final round between chuck and fringe which is most likely, you fringe fans shouldnt vote cause you got a renewel

Comment by Chuckfanatic – March 24, 2011 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best. News. Ever. This is all I wanted in life, and I know that’s sad but another season for Fringe is the best because we have time to promote the show get more viewers and they can’t say no because now that it’s picked up, it’s worth it.

Comment by Sarah – March 24, 2011 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BEST. DAY. EVER.
    Thanks FOX for renewing my faith in network television. I can’t wait for season 4!!!

Comment by Hannah – March 24, 2011 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay FOX! I’ll admit I had my doubts about them making the right decision. Woo hoo Fringe!

Comment by jules – March 24, 2011 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WooHoo!!

Comment by valentina – March 24, 2011 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the best news ever! Now we have another year to pick up the ratings. We must not fail this time around! LONG LIVE FRINGE. http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=137291516340511

Comment by RKron – March 24, 2011 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YESSS!!!!!!!!! I screamed when I read this and now my roommate thinks I am more of a freak then ever.

Comment by Emma – March 24, 2011 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the best news ever!!!!

Comment by sam – March 24, 2011 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! I can go to sleep with a smile now :)

Comment by WhiteLady – March 24, 2011 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you so much for renewing Fringe.
    Now we need to watch even more, keep it up, Fringies!

Comment by Cortexifan – March 24, 2011 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I honestly feel like crying and hugging every single Fringe fan.

Comment by Nick – March 24, 2011 07:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • From the bottom of my heart……I LOVE YOUU ALLLLL !!!!! I LOVE YOUU ALLLLL !!!!! I LOVE YOUU ALLLLL !!!!!

Single happiest day of my year so far.

Comment by JoeyP – March 24, 2011 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lol, did you choose a picture of Olivia looking in absolute shock on-porpouse?

Comment by Jay – March 24, 2011 07:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • HA! So true! thanks for pointing that out Jay. I skipped the photo to get to the news and comments. LOL and smiling big now. Photo says it all.

Comment by forrest – March 24, 2011 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best news of the week! Thank you FOX!

Comment by Johnny – March 24, 2011 07:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AMAZING!

Comment by Lili – March 24, 2011 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo EXCITED AND HAPPY!!!!! YAY!!!!!!

Comment by Lawton – March 24, 2011 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Woo hoo!!

Comment by Amber S – March 24, 2011 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watching tomorrow night and the rest of the season will be all better knowing it’s coming back. Yay!

Comment by Adrienne – March 24, 2011 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have never seen Fringe but as a lover of genre shows I am really pleased for the Fringe fandom. As a SPN fan I recognise another passionate bunch when I see one. Great news!
    Now CW – how about announcing s7 of SPN?

Comment by Geordiegirl1967 – March 24, 2011 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @Geordiegirl1967 – Now that’s the news I’m wanting to hear. I’m happy for all the Fringe fans, I once counted myself among them (I really hated this season) – congrats to you all.

Comment by Melody – March 24, 2011 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thanks, much appreciated. I kept thinking Supernatural was renewed as well, since Michael didn’t put it in the “Renew Our Show” contest. These are two of my favourite shows, so I hope it makes it.

Comment by sashay – March 25, 2011 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excuse me, I now have to go run around outside with sparklers in both hands yelling WOOOOOO!!!

Comment by Amy – March 24, 2011 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Light one for me!

Comment by Suzanne – March 25, 2011 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO! Fox is earning back some of the respect it lost when it cancelled Firefly and Dollhoue!

Comment by MandyA – March 24, 2011 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post