It's Official: TNT Renews Southland, Orders New Eric McCormack Crime Drama

Not 24 hours after TVLine reported on the strong possibility of renewal, TNT officially announced that Southland will be back for a 10-episode Season 4.

The cabler also announced that Perception, a new drama starring Eric McCormack (Will & Grace), has been ordered to series.

Southland Star Wagers $100 On Renewal

Southland has been acknowledged by many critics as one of the sharpest, most entertaining and most authentic dramas on television today,” says Michael Wright, EVP/head of programming for TNT. “John Wells, Chris Chulack and their teams created a brilliant roller coaster ride this season, with countless riveting scenes and unforgettable character arcs. We are extremely proud to have Southland on TNT and to bring it back for a fourth season.”

Originally developed for NBC, Southland was cut loose by the Peacock midway through its freshman season. Not long thereafter, TNT gave the cop drama new life.

Perception, created by Star Trek: Voyager‘s Kenneth Biller and Mike Sussman, stars McCormack as Dr. Geoffrey Pierce, an eccentric neuroscientist who uses his unique outlook and expertise to help the federal government crack difficult cases. Rachael Leigh Cook (She’s All That) co-stars as Kate Rossi, an FBI agent and former student of Pierce’s, while Ajray Smith (Day After Tomorrow) plays Max Lewicki, Pierce’s teaching assistant, and Kelly Rowan (The O.C.) is Natalie Vincent, Pierce’s BFF.

McCormack previously starred alongside Tom Cavanagh on TNT’s short-lived Trust Me.

1. DL says:

Yes! Yes! YES! Best news all day! Hooray for more Southland! :D

2. KjoA says:

The best news:))

3. SaraK says:

TNT knows what they’re doing! Terrific news!

4. John Berggren says:

I like Eric, I hope he succeeds. Good news for Southland fans :)

5. AJ says:

That show was called Trust Me (not Truth In Advertising).

6. Sam says:

I like Eric McCormick, but every time he talks, I just think about how annoying Will was towards the end of Will & Grace.

• Midori says:

To be fair ALL the characters became really annoying towards the last couple seasons of Will and Grace. A show hasn’t fallen from grace as badly, or had such a horrible finale, since Rosanne.

• RvE says:

“Will & Grace” was ruined when they married off Grace. Even if Leo was hardly ever around, and even though they separated soon after the wedding, he was always in the way. The show became much less about Will and Grace (and Jack and Karen), and more about Grace’s tedious marital problems and Will trying to help her through those – and in the end, it just wasn’t funny anymore.
      “Will & Grace” BL (Before Leo) was brilliant and one of my favourite shows, “Will & Grace” AL went down to a point where I could barely bring myself to watch, and I absolutely HATED the finale.

• april-ann says:

Not a fan of Eric. Will was so whiny, I thought it was Eric’s acting that was annoying, but maybe it was just Will I didn’t like. But I didn’t like Eric in Old Christine, either. Oh well. Agreed about Will & Grace and Roseanne badly deteriorating. Two and a Half Men was very funny until the boring fiance was introduced, then wow what a nosedive that show took. Never a good idea to change the entire premise of a well loved show. Love Southland. Love Kelly Rowan, it’s time she returned to tv.

• Al Gore says:

Eric McCormick was in the Lonesome Dove Series way before he was in that Will & Grace show and he was great. I’m a fan of his, but I never watched W & G because it didn’t appeal to me at all.

7. Kristin says:

Yay! Sounds like it’s a good day for former OC stars!

8. Patrick says:

Good to see Kelly Rowan will be back on our screens. She was easily one of the highlights of The OC and im surprised it’s taken this long!

Great news about Southland too!

9. IC says:

WTF? Truth in advertising??? The name of the show was TRUST ME!

10. dawn says:

yea, southland is renewed :)

11. Jordan says:

The original title was Truth in Advertising. So everyone just back off.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Thanks for that; I did a quick Google, the original title came up first. I’m a horrible person for not remembering the title of a show that was on for about 15 minutes ;)

12. Addy says:

So happy to have Southland coming back. Thank you TNT for continuing this amazing series.

13. keith says:

Glad to see Southland renewed, but would have liked to see a few more episodes.

14. Anthony says:

SouthLand should ave 15 episodes.

15. Al Gore says:

I love Southland and I’m very happy it’s coming back, but it should be longer than 10 episodes. 10 weeks is just too short. Lucy Lu is going to be on a new show this fall, so will she be coming back? I thought she was good and I liked her character.