Ratings: Bones Stays Hot On a Cool Thursday

On an aprés-Daylight Saving Time Thursday where overall TV viewership was down, shows such as Bones and Community nonetheless built on their previous audiences.

In a well-touted episode helmed by series lead David Boreanaz, Bones gained 8 percent in total audience, hitting 12 million viewers, and matched its time slot-winning, week-ago demos (3.4).

Similarly, NBC’s just-renewed Community delivered its largest audience since February 3, rising 8 percent to 4.22 million viewers.

One more gainer in total audience was NBC bubble comedy Outsourced, which capped the Peacock’s night with 3.64 million viewers (up 7 percent).

Elsewhere on Thursday:

* American Idol‘s results show drew 19 million viewers and a 5.6 demo rating, down double digits from a week ago.

* CBS’ NCAA tourney coverage averaged 4.75 million viewers for the night, and a 1.6 rating.

* Borrowing Grey’s Anatomy‘s time slot, Private Practice dipped 9 percent in audience from its last outing (with 6 million viewers) and plunged 23 percent in the demo (to a 1.9).

* NBC’s also-renewed Parks and Recreation built on its Office repeat lead-in (with 4.06 million viewers), yet couldn’t help but drop 25 percent in the demo (to a 1.8). In turn, a love-it-or-hate-it episode of 30 Rock got socked in the demos, pulling a 1.7.

What was your Thursday TV of choice?

1. Marsha says:

As a long-time Bones fan who had been watching this season only now and then due to waffling between the characters and introduction of Afghan Barbie, I can honestly say that I was pleased with Last night’s episode. They actually discussed their relationship and the possibility of starting one in a realistic and straightforward way.

• Zoe says:

‘Afghan Barbie’ made me lol to the point where lemonade almost came out of my nose.

But I agree, it was nice to see them acknowledging that they could be together in the future.

2. Derek64 says:

Bones was so good last night, I’m glad!

3. ella says:

So sad about private practice ratings. I really liked hi episode, I don’t understand what happened this season… The season has been pretty good overall, the writing was good, the perdomrances outsanding. I hope they will go up eventually, this show deserves it, it’s better than Grey’s anatomy. I hope it was just the changing timeslot and that everything will go back to normal next week and the ones after that when Grey’s and pp air at their respective timeslots.

4. Deena says:

Bones was so good last night. DB is a great director and he does all the awesome Booth/Brennan episodes. He knows what fans want! So glad the numbers are up!

5. Dee says:

BONES, of course. This was probably the best episode this season and it gave me hope.

6. Emily says:

Thursdays I used to watch Bones, then Grey’s and Private Practice (and Big Bang got DVRed.) Then they moved Bones to make way for AI (which I never watch) which means I have to chose between Bones and Grey’s. THEN last night I had to chose between Bones (with an elevator scene) and Private Practice (which I watched today from my DVR.) STOP MOVING EVERYTHING AROUND AND MAYBE RATINGS WILL BE BETTER!

7. T says:

Bones was on my TV… raced home to watch it, in fact. Great ep! Loved B&B talking about their relationship – and such a cute ending :)

8. Rebecca says:

I just started rewatching the series from the beginning and it reinforced thoughts that have been bothering me.

The lighting, camera shots were much more sophisticated early on.
    They did a lot of great location shots.
    Why is it that Brennan never beats people up anymore?
    Why, in the last couple of seasons, have they started to dress her like a grandmother? Her clothes and jewelry were so hip in the first few years. Her hair was soft and attractive and now, NOT.
    Her manner of speech and overall attitude was so cooly intellectual. “Bones doesn’t intimidate” Booth said. Now, they have changed the character from being an intellectual who is socially inept to an almost autistic human.

So, they took an emotionally flawed but smart, beautiful, tough, sexy kickass woman and changed her into a developmentally challenged person.

Watch the first season and then compare to last nights episode.

• Suncatcher says:

@Rebecca – you are SO right! Thanks for pointing out these dumb changes. We want the “old” Brennan back! I loved it when Bones used to beat the crap out of bad guys! AND she was almost “normal” when speaking. Now she’s pathetic. (Does Emily Deschanel ever listen to her character these days)?

These changes are like Coke dumping the old recipe and giving us “new” Coke – they lost an awful lot of customers until they went back to “classic” Coke. We want CLASSIC BRENNAN!

• Jackie says:

I pulled up the Pilot episode on Netflix; you are so right! Brennan is very, very different, it was apparent in the first 10 minutes. I’d noticed over the years that her character seemed to be reverting, not growing, but it really took seeing her in the pilot to show the stark contrast. Your description of early Brennan is right on: cooly intellectual, hip clothes and jewelry. Now, she barely has the most basic social skills. What happened?

• Amanda says:

What I think happened was she was away from the gang for too long. Especially Booth. And when she found out that he found somebody else, Hannah, then she kind of lost it. . .Also she ends up telling Booth that she loves him, pretty much anyways, in “The Doctor In The Photo” (Episode 9), and he turns her down. Making her drive a wedge between some things. And Hannah turns Booth down in his proposal and that’s about the 3rd time he’s offered that kind of thing to a woman and they’ve all turned him down. And when he was at the bar later that episode, “The Daredevil In The Mold”, he tells Brennan that she has 2 options: 1. Stay partners with him and continue things as usual. Or 2. Walk out the door and get a new FBI Guy (As Booth put it.). And so she’s in love with him and those were kind of sucky options to her. But she chose the first one. I dunno. That’s just how it all seems to me.

9. Blake says:

at this rate next season’s Private Practice episode order will be reduced to 13-16 and canceled by May 2012. I find that heartbreaking because this season of PP is so much better than the current season of GA.