CBS Renews How I Met Your Mother - But There's a Twist

CBS has renewed How I Met Your Mother, but this year there’s a twist to the terms. Namely, that the show is set to return for not one but two more seasons.

That’s quite a feat for a series that, prior to 2010, used to be left waiting… and waiting… and waiting, oftentimes until May, to learn if it would get picked up for even one more cycle.

Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on HIMYM, Glee, House and More!

According to Deadline, 20th Century Fox TV fared very well on the new deal, commanding almost double the licensing fee from CBS. Perhaps — and I say perhaps — Charlie Sheen is partly to thank, seeing as his antics have put the fate of CBS’ bread-and-butter Monday-night sitcom, Two and a Half Men, in question.

Mother‘s good news comes almost two months after its former time slot neighbor, The Big Bang Theory, itself got a multiple-year pick-up, through the 2013-14 TV season.

HIMYM First Look: How Barney Met His Father

All of the HIMYM principals — Josh Radnor, Jason Segel, Cobie Smulders, Neil Patrick Harris and Alyson Hannigan — are locked in to return.

Are you glad to see HIMYM continue through May 2013? Or were you hoping to not wait possibly so long to, you know, meet the mother?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Gabriela says:

The Mother is to How I Met Your Mother as Superman is to Smallville

I hate waiting!

• Jim McD says:

I hope not. Holding back on the mother is killing that show.

• Marlon says:

I agree, Jim, I mean, I love the show more than any other sitcom, but they really need to wrap it up tie the loose ends together and move on. Sure dragging it out and going two more seasons will generate more revenue, but the show is going to suck because it won’t go anywhere.

They just need to do one more season, drive it home, and give it the fantastic ending it deserves, not just make the show go until no one wants to watch it anymore. I’d hate that more than anything.

• BlogWhisperer says:

Very well said, Garbiela! I agree. :)

• Mikos says:

Thumbs up for you Gabriela :-)

• jules says:

I respectfully disagree. I signed on to this show assuming we wouldn’t know the Mother’s identity until the end. The core cast is important to the show and as long as they stick around, so will I. Writing has been great, acting has been great, I can wait to find out who the MOther is. And besides…Ted is my least favorite character on this show.

2. TV Gord says:

I thought the twist was going to be that Charlie Sheen was joining the show and the title was changing to How I Met Your Mother******!

3. Stacie says:

I get the feeling from all of the actors involved in some other types of shows, or movies, or producing, or directing, that they will want to end the show when this deal is done. I mean Jason Segal missed a couple episodes this year to do a movie, Neil Patrick Harris couldn’t be any more popular. I don’t know, I just feel like they will want to end in 2 years. Which, might actually be the right time. I mean after Lost was told they only had a certain amount of episodes left the show got more focused, maybe this show needs a deadline to focus on the whole “mother” issue.

• Diva says:

Lost didn’t get more focused. I can’t think of a better example of not sticking the landing. The entire last season was a total mess. Temple storylines anyone?

• Scott says:

Stacie, Jason Segel didn’t miss any episodes to make either the Gulliver movie with Jack Black or the new Muppets movie. To date, the only lead who’s missed episodes was Alyson Hannigan because of maternity leave. But they covered that up with Barney’s “offensive” joke about sandwich spreads.

As people on the imdb boards are saying this morning, because HIMYM was only planned for 8 seasons this allows Carter Bays and Craig Thomas the opportunity to end their show properly. They won’t have to worry about getting renewed next year because it’s already happened.

• Jim McD says:

Exactly what I’m hoping. You’ve got a deadline — now make your HIMYM magic and get on to Act III.

• Jeff says:

Well they pretty much have to end the show pretty quick, Ted is telling his kids the story in 2030, theose kids are clearly at least 15 – 16 years old. Ted needs to have that mother impregnated by 2014 or 2015 so they have to meet the mother pretty quick

• Andrew says:

Lost was not told they only had X number of episodes left, the show’s creators negotiated the date with ABC so they wouldn’t have all the filler crap they had in seasons 2 and 3.

• jules says:

Jason Segal has stated that he is done when is contract expires. Not that the show couldn’t survive without him but it’s already been on the air quite a few years…I would expect these last 2 seasons to be their last.

• jules says:

Correction: Next 2 seasons to be their last.

4. irrationalitv says:

At least half the cast has babies/toddlers. A half hour comedy gig allows a great work life balance. I think they’re pretty happy to have it for another couple years at least.

5. Matt says:

They need to start wrapping it up. I’ll give them 2 more years but then I’m out.

6. Brad says:

Great news!! … But after 8 seasons it might be about time to end – it really depends on wether they leave the ‘mother’ surprises until the very end or wether the show goes beyond the initial meeting point and stuff … it’s been so good this season I’m sure that they will do a great job of 2 more!

7. John Berggren says:

Sweet. This is legen

8. David says:

I think they should end HIMYM in 2 seasons, but then do a spinoff that will include the same characters. It could focus on Barney!

9. shuaib says:

I am glad that himym got picked up for another two seasons but I still think that it needs to end soon… How long must we wait till we see the mother. I really hoped it would be jennifer morrisons character. They have good chemistry. I could see her as the mother.

10. Greenerpuddles says:

Any chance they could sh#tcan Radnor?

• Dw. Dunphy says:

He’s starting to develop a bit of Zach Braffiness, isn’t he?

• HadsP says:

I always thought he that bit of Zach Braffiness. Pretty surprising to see that Cobie Smulders doesn’t have more going on outside the show, she’s so hot. I know she’s a fairly new mom, but even before that, I didn’t really see her in anything but a quick cameo in ‘walking tall'(look for it).

11. Christina says:

I’m so excited! I’ve been with the show since it started and I hated always having to worry if it’d be picked up or not. Plus two more seasons?! I think 3 seasons would be just the right number. Hmm… Who am I kidding? Yeah it has its flaws, but I could watch it forever.

12. Mursal says:

I am THRILLED to hear that HIMYM will be back for 2 more seasons. I think the show is brilliant and I love the continuity. I hope that we get to meet the mother soon. There is so much more story/plot that can be told after the mother is introduced. And of course, we all want to see Lily, Marshall, Robin, and Barney!

13. Juan says:

I hope that the way they handle this is to introduce us to the mother the season before the last one and then the last season leads up to the wedding.
    I am also super glad that it’s not Zoey and that it ends horrible. Can’t wait for that to happen already.

14. Mo says:

Season 8 will be its last. Jason said himself he’s only staying until season 8.

15. me says:

I am so glad they r getting another two years. I’m ready to meet the mother though.. Love the show

16. Unhappy camper says:

The lead-in for this article on the home page said there was news on when we would see the “mother.” There is nothing in this article about that.

17. Ang says:

Why, why, why, must we wait for this darn mother? Can’t we just meet her already and then get to the relationship between her & Ted?

Imagine the possibilites within the group if Ted actually finds the love of his life and has to make it work between her and them?

18. awa says:

awsome awsome awsome !! this is one of my top favorite show on tv right now and its just so freakin fun to watch theese character!! love himym

19. Amanda says:

As much as I love this show, I was hoping next year would be the last. I certainly hope they will let us meet the mother maybe halfway into the last season instead of the series finale. Also this stretches out the time we have to wait for the last two slaps!

• Scott says:

Amanda, there’s only 1 slap to go. The 4 slaps so far can be viewed in all their glory in these episodes:

Season 2, Episode 9: Slap Bet
      Season 2, Episode 16: Stuff
      Season 3, Episode 9: Slapsgiving
      Season 5, Episode 9: Slapsgiving 2: Revenge Of The Slap

• Amanda says:

Yeah, I forgot about that one with all the “gifting” the slap around. That makes it even worse that there is only one left with two more seasons to go. They’re going to have to make it a really good one!

20. cat says:

I was hoping the catch would be that halfway through they were changing the name to ‘How I married your mother’ or something like that.

21. John berggren says:

Dary! I do hope we get a mother reveal in the next 20 episodes though. Himym is one of my all time favorite sitcoms, and 2 additional seasons is a great way to bring the show to a well planned and fulfilling conclusion.

Not that I’d be offended by another renewal.

22. Ashley says:

Awesome! I love this show, even its weaker episodes. I do think, however that they need to have an endgame in mind. How about ending this season with the wedding, but having Ted meet more than one woman there? Next season could be about which one of those women is the Mother and the last season could be about their relationship and end with a series-finale wedding.

23. aliensexist4 says:

It is torture to have to keep waiting for the ‘mother’ reveal, but in the end, this show is damn good television, so the fact that it got picked up for TWO more years is nothing but good news. Hooray!

24. Jason says:

I can’t wait 2 seasons to find out who the mother is

25. Sally says:

YAY! Since my other favorite show House turned into complete crap (thanks to Huddy and the new focus on Cuddy, yuck), HIMYM is the only show left I love and watch religiously, I’m so happy to hear that it’s been renewed! Thank you!!!

26. Mal says:

Best news of the day! I’m so excited, this is one of my favorite shows! Sure, it had a rocky season there, but it’s back to it’s full awesome-ness this season. I’m so glad there are st least 2

27. Joe says:

I’ve just recently found this show thanks to syndication. Since the start of the year I’ve been addicted to it. Not only is it hilarious, but the humor is smart and the acting is superb. The show being on for another two years is great news to me!

28. ggny says:

all of us HIYM fans can thank syndication for this new…the show has been a on tear rating wise ever since it went into syndication and people could catch up on reruns

29. TheDude says:

HIMYM ends up following TBBT on Thursdays next year. Calling it right now.

30. angeldove says:

Love HIMYM, but like others have said, I am really getting tired of waiting for the Mother storyline to have some sort of pay off.

31. BrianR says:

Just get to the Mother part. Too many teases.

32. Mykey716 says:

Sad to say I stopped watching this show about 2 years ago. I started skipping episodes after Barney & Robin got together (then broke up) as the humor started feeling more forced and less funny. But after introducing that oh-so boring Zoey and the Captain, I just stopped watching altogether. Luckily, I have this site and EW to keep me informed to know when we finally do meet “Mother”, but until then, I’ll find something else to do on Monday nights. BTW I used to LOVE, LOVE this show…it’s been so heartbreaking I had to give it up.

33. Mike says:

The thing is to be “Zen” about it, and enjoy the ride. Forget about the ‘meeting the mother’ tease. That’s what it’s become–a big, stupid, mean tease. Where was I? Oh, yeah, I’m being Zen about it. Once, if, you can get past the tease, the show is great. Who cares if he ever gets married? I mean, I don’t. I’m so beyond caring about that now, it’s amazing I still watch the stupid, ah, forget stupid, show.

• Martini says:

I absolutely agree! I couldn’t care less if there honestly never was a mother in the first place! The title of the show and Bob Saget talking to the kids part aside, meeting the mother isn’t what this show is about! It’s about telling a story about a great group of 5 friends and their hilarious anecdotes through life! I absolutely LOVE this show because no matter what, it can always keep me laughing and/or cheer me up after watching the reruns. Whatever the writers decide to do as far as the mother goes, it’ll be amazing, and I’m going to be a loyal fan until the very end!

34. Ramubay says:

I keep getting this show mixed up with Rules of Engagement. Every time I’m watching one I’m thinking I’m actually watching the other. And every time I’m watching one I’m thinking the other one must be the funny one. For all those that thought Friends was a good show (it wasn’t) damn you, damn you for causing this run of similarly unfunny shows. Why can’t they put Petticoat Junction back on the air. Now that was a funny show.

35. OddJobb says:

I have no problem waiting for the ‘mother.’ I think that’s what keeps the show going. There is no seasons long sexual tension of whether or not a couple will get together… ala Bones.
    Frankly, I would prefer the ‘mother’ introduced in the last 15 minutes of the very last episode. The writers can proberbly just bring in the most popular celebrity at that time (but someone classy).

36. BJohnson says:

I lost interest in finding the mother by the end of the 2nd season. I just like the journey of these friends (who will truly be BFFs according to the fast forwards). How they grow and mature (well at least try to mature…BROWNIES!!) is pretty good tv. Considering I am in their target TV demographic, it is hitting a nerve with some things. I love the show and glad to see it continue with or without the mother.

• Kbooga says:

Exactly what I was going to say BJohnson! It’s not so much about finding out who the mother is as it is about the friendships before Ted meets her! Just like Cougartown isn’t about older women sleeping with younger men!

37. Paul says:

I think its the right decision to end the show after another couple of seasons, hopefully the producers can now plan the entire story arc leading up to the wedding of Ted and the mother and also show us what happens to the other main characters as well.

38. teniba says:

i am tired, reveal that mother already pfff

39. chris says:

u know when you think about it it took the poor guy 8 years of hard work to get a girl i feel abit bad for ted , but im thrilled about the news

40. Laura says:

This was the cruelest headline ever.
    However, I am excited that the show was renewed for two seasons. My only hope (although I’m sure it will never happen) is that the wedding Ted mets the mother at is at least introduced in the last episode of this season. Then play out the wedding, maybe have some mother-meeting-mishaps for the beginning of next season, and then as many people have mentioned here and on other stories, give the audience a season or a 1.5 seasons of getting to know the mother. Oddly enough, I think the audience might feel MORE cheated if they don’t know the details of how Ted and the mother get together after they meet. I think this stems from the series going so long and the audience seeing other seemingly inconsequential relationships Ted has had with other women (Ted and Victoria, Ted and Robin, Ted and Stella, Ted and Zoey) play out completely. So, please, HIMYM writers, introduce the audience to the mother sooner rather than the last episode of the series. If you plan it out and tell the story in an engaging way, the audience won’t care that the “how I met your mother” arc has been resolved. As most people here have cited, watching and being invested in the show is more about the characters the audience has become attached to anyway.

41. Tim Husted says:

I think that the “Mother” in HIMYM is abour done; the show has really progressed beyond that storyline and at this point they only need to introduce her in the last 10 mins of the last show as “wait, I guess this had nothing to do with that”….

42. Kelly says:

I am here for the long haul, the big reveal of the mother should be left for the finale. i believe each character is important to the show. barney is definately the X-Factor ! Legen Wait for it dary! What up!
    Thank-you Charlie Sheen! i mean how long can a 50 year old man who hits on women (and actually gets laid?) go on for? he looks like crap! who knew it was a biography all along?

43. me says:

All I’m saying is isn’t it just about time for the daughter to be born? Do we know how old the kids are? The daughter’s roughly 16-18 making her born sometime between 2012 and 2014

44. TDeg says:

All the good shows that are cancelled & this crap get’s another 2 years.
    I can’t believe it made it past the first two seasons.

45. Fabricio says:

one year later… what happen with the cast’s contracts??? I know it’s to early to juggle the future of HIMYM but I’m worry. I want the show will get to the 10th season and I don’t want to meet the mother until the last episode.

Is there any news about the actors and their hopes to continue in HIMYM???

is there any chance that the name of the show changes to How I Dated Your Mother? or How I cheat your mother with your aunt Robin AGAIN?? or How I Met the Stinsons??

46. B-rice says:

In tonight’s episode he said he would meet the mother in 45 days? I also wanted to meet the mother on the last episode and if that’s the case how will the next 2 seasons go about? I also wanted a bigger celeb to play the mother not some new actor they can cheaply pay! I wanted them to go out with a bang and now there ruining the show