Big Love's Ginnifer Goodwin Joins ABC Pilot as Snow White

If ever a perfect piece of casting news existed, Ginnifer Goodwin as Snow White is it.

The soon-to-be Big Love alum has been cast as the lead in ABC’s new drama pilot Once Upon a Time, says Deadline.

Catch Up On All of TVLine’s News from This Pilot Season

Brought to life by former Lost executive producers Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz, the project tells the story of a fair-skinned, raven-haired woman drawn to a small, strange town where fairy tales might actually exist. Goodwin plays Snow White/Sister Mary Margaret — and there’s even an Evil Queen (played by Swingtown‘s Lana Parrilla) and a yet-to-be-cast Prince Charming (may we hopelessly suggest Josh Duhamel?).

Goodwin currently plays the lovably aloof Margene on HBO’s Big Love, which will wrap its five-season run on Sunday, March 20.

Is Goodwin the perfect Snow White? Are you looking forward to a fairy tale-tinged series?

Comments (35)

• I’m sure she’s talented, and I really don’t mean to sound catty, and I acknowledge there’s more to good acting than good looks, but is that the prettiest Snow White they could come up with? I agree Josh Duhamel would make a great Prince Charming, but would he have chemistry with this actress?

Comment by april-ann – March 3, 2011 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What the..?! She’s georgeos and a great actor!

Comment by Basil – March 4, 2011 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s what I hear.

Comment by april-ann – March 5, 2011 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • watch one episode of big love. she’s a great actress. and she’s also really cute, which i think is what snow white should be – she doesn’t need to be gorgeous. what i’m wondering is what is with “sister”s named “mary margaret”?

Comment by rc – March 4, 2011 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked it better when it was called Fables.

Comment by Ed – March 3, 2011 05:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS

Comment by SweetHoney – March 3, 2011 06:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Word.

Comment by Michael – March 3, 2011 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Truth.

Comment by Stephanie – March 3, 2011 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was thinking the same thing! It would be BETTER if it were Fables

Comment by Bekkah – March 3, 2011 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly!

Comment by berryvic – March 3, 2011 09:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • MTE

Comment by Summer – March 4, 2011 01:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Or the Charmings (jump in the way back machine for that reference)

Comment by Elizabeth – March 4, 2011 08:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I remember The Charmings! With Christopher Rich!

Comment by Rebecca – March 10, 2011 07:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ABC was at one time working on a pilot for “Fables”.

Comment by Andrew H. – March 4, 2011 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • To be fair, and I’m a HUGE Fables fan, while it is copying Fables in it being a “City filled with Fables” Snow and everyone else knows they are Fables. The Evil Witch is also not their big bad.

Now if they hook her up with the Big Bad Wolf and give her a red headed sister, than yes than I’ll start saying something.

Comment by Josh – March 6, 2011 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • april-ann : Ginnifer Goodwin and Josh Duhamel have actually been in two movies together already. Though not the lead Ginnifer played Kate Bosworth’s friend in Win a Date with Tad Hamilton (Tad played by Josh). In Ramona and Beezus Ginnifer and Josh are love interests and end up married. Also I would much rather have an actress who can act over the stereotypical pretty girl. She’s a great actress and beautiful, I can’t imagine a better Snow White.

Comment by Rachel – March 3, 2011 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I didn’t know that, Rachel!, thanks, and I did say that I know there’s more to good acting than just good looks. I’m sure she’s talented but I just don’t find her a very attractive actress. I guess I’m just not a fan. I’d rather have an actress who can act over the stereotypical pretty girl too, but I would hope they could find a good mix. What keeps coming back to me is what a certain critic said about Vivien Leigh in Gone With The Wind: Vivien Leigh is so beautiful she need not have been so talented, and so talented she need not have been so beautiful.

Comment by april-ann – March 3, 2011 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Clearly it’s a very subjective thing, because I think she is absolutely beautiful. If you think she’s not, then you have a legitimate point, since beauty is one of the main characteristics of Snow White. I just happen to think she’s really pretty, if a bit on the cutesy side to be described as gorgeous. So maybe they can glam her up a bit for the people who think she’s not quite up to the description of the character.

Comment by Amber – March 3, 2011 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • P.S. I don’t think this picture does her any favors. Her ears look really huge here.

Comment by Amber – March 3, 2011 08:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Great post, Amber, thanks! (And I never noticed her ears). But you are correct about people looking for beauty when they see Snow White. Maybe they are looking for quirky not gorgeous with this show and it could work. They are saying it’s a drama, so I’ll give it a chance, since I hate, really hate reality tv, I’m done with it. The one that comes to mind here is Beauty and the Beast with Linda Hamilton and Ron Perlman, it was really excellent, magical in the chemistry and storytelling although at the same time very real, and hopefully this will be similar.

Comment by april-ann – March 3, 2011 09:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree 110%. I first saw Ginnifer in the late lamented (by me anyway)TV show ED. She was excellent, as she is in BIG LOVE. Hope this one flies. Though the flooding of TV pilots involving fantasy, a premise rarely successful on network TV, creates an uphill battle. Audiences content with low rent reality programming & tedious cop/med soapy procedurals will not flock to one, let alone a baker’s dozen of these. Though most of the others are mixing in the usual sleep inducing plot points in which crime/disease will be the LCD inducement. Good luck…

Comment by Juke Early – March 3, 2011 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She was pretty in He’s Just Not That Into You. She just does’t look that great with her hair like that.

Comment by Kris – March 4, 2011 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She is gonna be PERFECT in this role :) Ever since she was in “She’s Just Not That Into You” I swear she has been missing out on some great roles from being on “Big Love”. I LOVE “Big Love” and her character Margene is the highlight of that show but sometimes you have to let great actresses like her to go on and do a show that will highlight their great acting abilities :). I WILL definitely be watching this and I’m kind of suprised the character that is Snow White is also a nun, hmmmm…go figure.lol.

Comment by Quirino – March 3, 2011 09:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So, this is a remake of “The Charmings” without Paul Winfield and Judy Parfitt, then?

Comment by inturnaround – March 3, 2011 09:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The first thing I thought when I read this was “The Charmings.” Great minds!

Comment by Kristin – March 4, 2011 05:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Perfect casting for a Snow White role! So much better than KStew, how she got that role in a movie is beyond me (oh wait tween money), but still Ginnifer has that fairy tale look and voice!

Comment by Kate – March 4, 2011 12:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Since Fables is in development as a series, I hope the appropriate people sue.

Comment by Rob J. – March 4, 2011 06:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love her but I know a lot of people were hoping the role would go to Evangeline Lilly.

Comment by n/a – March 4, 2011 06:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was under the impression that Evangeline Lilly announced she didn’t want to continue acting after Lost ended.

Comment by John – March 4, 2011 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • E. Lily did say that right after it ended; she said she was going to write. But in Doc Smith’s EW cover story about “Life After Lost,” she sounded very much back into the acting thing.

Ginnifer Goodwin has been extraordinary, a MVP, on Big Love. Any production that gets her is lucky to have her.

Comment by Javacat – March 21, 2011 01:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She is very cute,but this is a terrible picture! Is she related to Sally Field? Even her voice sound like Sally’s.If they ever do a remake of The Flying Nun she would be perfect.

Comment by jless – March 4, 2011 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She is astonishingly looking like Sally field, I agree! the minute I saw her – and the more I see her – in that movie: Something Borrowed, I can’t stop thinking about Sally Field. Especially the young Sally field, yea, from the Flying Nun. But I just looked it up on Wikipedia and to my astonishment, no. they’re not related. She has a different mother. They’re not even sisters or anything related. hehe

Comment by Amiri – March 16, 2014 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • sounds similar to NBC’s new series Grimm

Comment by SonR – March 4, 2011 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well her casting and the fact that it does sound different at least makes me happy it isn’t a Fables clone. Here is hoping we get a Fables HBO series!

But yeah this show sounds interesting.

Comment by Josh – March 6, 2011 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post