Big Love's Ginnifer Goodwin Joins ABC Pilot as Snow White

If ever a perfect piece of casting news existed, Ginnifer Goodwin as Snow White is it.

The soon-to-be Big Love alum has been cast as the lead in ABC’s new drama pilot Once Upon a Time, says Deadline.

Catch Up On All of TVLine’s News from This Pilot Season

Brought to life by former Lost executive producers Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz, the project tells the story of a fair-skinned, raven-haired woman drawn to a small, strange town where fairy tales might actually exist. Goodwin plays Snow White/Sister Mary Margaret — and there’s even an Evil Queen (played by Swingtown‘s Lana Parrilla) and a yet-to-be-cast Prince Charming (may we hopelessly suggest Josh Duhamel?).

Goodwin currently plays the lovably aloof Margene on HBO’s Big Love, which will wrap its five-season run on Sunday, March 20.

Is Goodwin the perfect Snow White? Are you looking forward to a fairy tale-tinged series?

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Finales, News, Pilots

1. april-ann says:

I’m sure she’s talented, and I really don’t mean to sound catty, and I acknowledge there’s more to good acting than good looks, but is that the prettiest Snow White they could come up with? I agree Josh Duhamel would make a great Prince Charming, but would he have chemistry with this actress?

2. Ed says:

I liked it better when it was called Fables.

3. Rachel says:

april-ann : Ginnifer Goodwin and Josh Duhamel have actually been in two movies together already. Though not the lead Ginnifer played Kate Bosworth’s friend in Win a Date with Tad Hamilton (Tad played by Josh). In Ramona and Beezus Ginnifer and Josh are love interests and end up married. Also I would much rather have an actress who can act over the stereotypical pretty girl. She’s a great actress and beautiful, I can’t imagine a better Snow White.

• april-ann says:

I didn’t know that, Rachel!, thanks, and I did say that I know there’s more to good acting than just good looks. I’m sure she’s talented but I just don’t find her a very attractive actress. I guess I’m just not a fan. I’d rather have an actress who can act over the stereotypical pretty girl too, but I would hope they could find a good mix. What keeps coming back to me is what a certain critic said about Vivien Leigh in Gone With The Wind: Vivien Leigh is so beautiful she need not have been so talented, and so talented she need not have been so beautiful.

• Amber says:

Clearly it’s a very subjective thing, because I think she is absolutely beautiful. If you think she’s not, then you have a legitimate point, since beauty is one of the main characteristics of Snow White. I just happen to think she’s really pretty, if a bit on the cutesy side to be described as gorgeous. So maybe they can glam her up a bit for the people who think she’s not quite up to the description of the character.

• Amber says:

P.S. I don’t think this picture does her any favors. Her ears look really huge here.

• april-ann says:

Great post, Amber, thanks! (And I never noticed her ears). But you are correct about people looking for beauty when they see Snow White. Maybe they are looking for quirky not gorgeous with this show and it could work. They are saying it’s a drama, so I’ll give it a chance, since I hate, really hate reality tv, I’m done with it. The one that comes to mind here is Beauty and the Beast with Linda Hamilton and Ron Perlman, it was really excellent, magical in the chemistry and storytelling although at the same time very real, and hopefully this will be similar.

• Juke Early says:

I agree 110%. I first saw Ginnifer in the late lamented (by me anyway)TV show ED. She was excellent, as she is in BIG LOVE. Hope this one flies. Though the flooding of TV pilots involving fantasy, a premise rarely successful on network TV, creates an uphill battle. Audiences content with low rent reality programming & tedious cop/med soapy procedurals will not flock to one, let alone a baker’s dozen of these. Though most of the others are mixing in the usual sleep inducing plot points in which crime/disease will be the LCD inducement. Good luck…

• Kris says:

She was pretty in He’s Just Not That Into You. She just does’t look that great with her hair like that.

4. Quirino says:

She is gonna be PERFECT in this role :) Ever since she was in “She’s Just Not That Into You” I swear she has been missing out on some great roles from being on “Big Love”. I LOVE “Big Love” and her character Margene is the highlight of that show but sometimes you have to let great actresses like her to go on and do a show that will highlight their great acting abilities :). I WILL definitely be watching this and I’m kind of suprised the character that is Snow White is also a nun, hmmmm…go figure.lol.

5. inturnaround says:

So, this is a remake of “The Charmings” without Paul Winfield and Judy Parfitt, then?

6. Kate says:

Perfect casting for a Snow White role! So much better than KStew, how she got that role in a movie is beyond me (oh wait tween money), but still Ginnifer has that fairy tale look and voice!

7. Rob J. says:

Since Fables is in development as a series, I hope the appropriate people sue.

8. n/a says:

I love her but I know a lot of people were hoping the role would go to Evangeline Lilly.

• John says:

I was under the impression that Evangeline Lilly announced she didn’t want to continue acting after Lost ended.

• Javacat says:

E. Lily did say that right after it ended; she said she was going to write. But in Doc Smith’s EW cover story about “Life After Lost,” she sounded very much back into the acting thing.

Ginnifer Goodwin has been extraordinary, a MVP, on Big Love. Any production that gets her is lucky to have her.

9. jless says:

She is very cute,but this is a terrible picture! Is she related to Sally Field? Even her voice sound like Sally’s.If they ever do a remake of The Flying Nun she would be perfect.

• Amiri says:

She is astonishingly looking like Sally field, I agree! the minute I saw her – and the more I see her – in that movie: Something Borrowed, I can’t stop thinking about Sally Field. Especially the young Sally field, yea, from the Flying Nun. But I just looked it up on Wikipedia and to my astonishment, no. they’re not related. She has a different mother. They’re not even sisters or anything related. hehe

10. SonR says:

sounds similar to NBC’s new series Grimm

11. Josh says:

Well her casting and the fact that it does sound different at least makes me happy it isn’t a Fables clone. Here is hoping we get a Fables HBO series!

But yeah this show sounds interesting.