Exclusive: Michael Rosenbaum Confirmed for Full-Time Sitcom Gig

And now, some news that is breaking in more ways than one: TVLine has confirmed that TV viewers will be getting a double helping of Michael Rosenbaum this spring, now that the actor — on top of his Smallville encore — has been booked for all seven episodes of the new Fox comedy Breaking In.

Rosenbaum cameos in the comedy’s pilot as Dutch, the “enterprising” (he peddles clean urine) boyfriend of Odette Yustman’s sexy safecracker. Producers were so pleased with the performance — as well as the character’s potential — that they set out to include him in the entire freshman run of episodes, which kicks off Wednesday, April 6

Production on the six remaining episodes began Monday in Los Angeles.

Breaking In stars Christian Slater as Oz, the head of a team of counter-security experts. Bret Harrison (Reaper) plays a new recruit who immediately is attracted to Yustman’s Melanie. As such, “We’re thinking about bringing Dutch into the office and making him a part of the team, and maybe play out that triangle a little bit,” exec producer Doug Robinson told me in January.

Watch a trailer for Breaking In here; Rosenbaum shows at the 1:05 mark:

Loading video...

Also on the romantic front: Alyssa Milano (Charmed) appears in Episode 2 as Oz’s ex-wife, a potentially recurring role.

Yes, but what about Rosie’s return to Smallville for the two-hour series finale airing May 13? Fret not, superfriends: Rosenbaum wrapped his scenes last week in Vancouver, so you’ll get your long-awaited Lex appeal as planned.

Breaking In will air Wednesdays at 9:30/8:30c, leading out of American Idol.

Comments (28)

• I’m afraid this show will be another Running Wilde/Traffic Light. It’s a shame, because it has potential. But then, on the other hand, I also thought both Wilde and Light had potential, but then both turned out to be massive disappointments.
    Plus, I don’t think it’ll be able to avoid the Christian Slater curse.

Comment by Chmarin – March 2, 2011 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know tv is subjective, and of course you’re entitled to your opinion, but I don’t see in what universe Running Wilde and Traffic Light are comparable. RW was a tragic disappointment given the stars and pedigree, granted. But Traffic Light is, in my opinion, SO MUCH BETTER. I love the cast – and last night they had guest spots by Rob Huebel and Ricki Lindhome (half of Garfunkel & Oates). I laugh a lot while watching it, and look forward to it every week.

Comment by Nicole – March 3, 2011 08:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess his pilot at SyFy is dead for sure now…?

Comment by Tucker – March 2, 2011 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s awesome to see Michael Rosenbaum get a shoow, he’s too funny not to be on tv.

Comment by Scott – March 2, 2011 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GO MICHAEL ROSENBAUM!! THANK YOU FOR COMING BACK TO SMALLVILLE!

WE LOVE YOU!

Comment by Smallville Fan – March 2, 2011 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who is this guy? Anyways can’t wait to see Christian Slater back in action!

Comment by Hank – March 2, 2011 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • way don’t you scared guys give us some news about i don’t know the real stars of smallville clark and lois i am so sick and tired of hearing about rosenbaum you guys suck. you do know that ed and tw stayed with the show and did not jump ship like mr and kk mabey you can show some respect to them and there fans and give us some dang news about a wedding. what every one can be happy but the real fans that stuck with the show.

Comment by mattnoballs – March 2, 2011 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sad

Comment by Sta – March 2, 2011 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Clark and Lois? From Smallville? The real stars? Are you kidding? Those pathetic losers are the worst versions of Clark and Lois ever. Michael did not ‘jump ship’, not that I’d blame him if he had. His contract was up, and he was sick to death of shaving his head and putting up with all the abuse his character was given. It was sickening the way Lex Luthor was treated on that show. Even if he was ‘the villain’, he should have been left some dignity. Instead, his character was dragged through the mud and treated like crap, just so the most pathetic version of Clark Kent/Superman ever would look better, and more heroic. Not that it worked, of course, because nothing would make this Clark Kent look heroic.

Comment by Jen – March 3, 2011 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m sure you’ll watch the two hour finale of Smallville. You just want to hate because hating everything today is “trendy”.

Comment by Mandrake – March 9, 2011 05:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • No, I will not be watching the two hour finale of Smallville, and no, I do not hate it because it’s ‘trendy’ to hate things. I had no idea it was trendy to hate things, and now I know it, I don’t give a damn. Listen, sometimes things are just BAD, and Smallville is one of them. The list of retcons is ridiculous, just for a start. The acting is lousy, most of the time. Clark Kent makes me sick with his whining and his constant need for everyone to kiss his ass and tell him his future life will be wonderful just so he can get out of bed in the morning. And all that is just the beginning. Why would I want to waste two hours of my life watching this garbage?

And if you ask me why I waste my time pointing all this out, it’s because the faults of this show get ignored or covered up and people talk about it like it was wonderful, and I think that someone, somewhere should provide evidence for the other side. Why should only the Smallville fans get to give their opinions?

Smallville could have been great. The potential was there. But it failed, or rather, the writers and producers and actors failed, because they thought they didn’t have to work to produce a good show about Superman. Well, they were wrong.

Comment by Jen – March 13, 2011 01:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This man looks sooooooooooooooo much better with hair.

Comment by John Berggren – March 2, 2011 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It is very disconcerting to see him with hair. Yes he does look better … he’s very handsome .. its just wierd. I did not recognize him.

Comment by Snsetblaze – March 2, 2011 10:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m happy for him, but this show stars Christian Slater and his shows are usually canceled after 6 episodes

Comment by Mike – March 2, 2011 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael Rosenbaum is a truly gifted comedian and actor. I’m glad he’s having so much success, and I thank him sincerely for returning to Smallville for the series finale. I plan on watching this new show simply because he’s on it. I never would have considered it otherwise.

Comment by mgb – March 2, 2011 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love him. So happy he’s returning to Smallville. I’ll definitely watch his new show too. It looks funny.

Comment by ruth – March 2, 2011 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • hahahaha….this show looks great. But since bret harrison is on this show, my guess is that V either gets canceled or he gets killed.

Comment by jay – March 3, 2011 07:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The show looks good, and I enjoy Bret Harrison, so hopefully it will be funny.

Comment by Vanny – March 4, 2011 06:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Brett Harrison and think he is hilarious, so I will give anything he is in a try. I loved him in Reaper, so I’m excited to see what this show has to offer. Great cast though~!!!!

Comment by Melissa – March 3, 2011 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I might give it a try because I really like Michael Rosenbaum, but this looks incredibly lame and unoriginal. Too bad.

Comment by LeeLee – March 3, 2011 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hmm…this show could either be really funny or painfully cliche.

Comment by Leah – March 3, 2011 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I dn’t kno what 2 say

Comment by nurudeenopeyemi – March 3, 2011 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so happy Michael Rosenbaum has a new show. I hope it’s a better one than Smallville — not that such a feat is all that difficult. MR was the best thing on SV, and deserves so much better. I wish he hadn’t been bullied into returning to that mess, and hope they paid him a lot of money to do so. Boo to all those bullies who forced him into going back to that nightmare.

Comment by Jen – March 3, 2011 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • U ar d best micheal,even if u are once a villian in smallville,u are still d best,no one can play ur role bettet except u&dat makes u special,it shows dat u are a gifted actor.

Comment by Disu abosede – March 3, 2011 09:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just want to see him return to the greatest tv show and superhero show ever. . . . SMALLVILLE. . . so sad its the last 7 or 8 episodes, i really hope there is a spinoff of a Superman tv show with Tom Welling and or a Smallville movie and or a justice league spinoff even a green arrow

Comment by robert – March 4, 2011 12:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If Smallville is the greatest TV show ever, I’d hate to see the worst one.

Comment by Jen – March 4, 2011 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really like Michael Rosenbaum too, genial

Comment by mariep – March 7, 2011 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank goodness! i’m finally gonna see michael again…i still don’t understand why he left ‘smallville’…he was freaking good with his role as ‘lex’…maybe he needed a break…but the most important thing is that he is back…i hope kristen & allison do the same…THANKS FOR COMING BACK,MIKE/LEX.

Comment by Ayo – March 9, 2011 04:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post