Exclusive

Exclusive: Michael Rosenbaum Confirmed for Full-Time Sitcom Gig

And now, some news that is breaking in more ways than one: TVLine has confirmed that TV viewers will be getting a double helping of Michael Rosenbaum this spring, now that the actor — on top of his Smallville encore — has been booked for all seven episodes of the new Fox comedy Breaking In.

Rosenbaum cameos in the comedy’s pilot as Dutch, the “enterprising” (he peddles clean urine) boyfriend of Odette Yustman’s sexy safecracker. Producers were so pleased with the performance — as well as the character’s potential — that they set out to include him in the entire freshman run of episodes, which kicks off Wednesday, April 6

Production on the six remaining episodes began Monday in Los Angeles.

Breaking In stars Christian Slater as Oz, the head of a team of counter-security experts. Bret Harrison (Reaper) plays a new recruit who immediately is attracted to Yustman’s Melanie. As such, “We’re thinking about bringing Dutch into the office and making him a part of the team, and maybe play out that triangle a little bit,” exec producer Doug Robinson told me in January.

Watch a trailer for Breaking In here; Rosenbaum shows at the 1:05 mark:

Loading video...

Also on the romantic front: Alyssa Milano (Charmed) appears in Episode 2 as Oz’s ex-wife, a potentially recurring role.

Yes, but what about Rosie’s return to Smallville for the two-hour series finale airing May 13? Fret not, superfriends: Rosenbaum wrapped his scenes last week in Vancouver, so you’ll get your long-awaited Lex appeal as planned.

Breaking In will air Wednesdays at 9:30/8:30c, leading out of American Idol.

1. Chmarin says:

I’m afraid this show will be another Running Wilde/Traffic Light. It’s a shame, because it has potential. But then, on the other hand, I also thought both Wilde and Light had potential, but then both turned out to be massive disappointments.
    Plus, I don’t think it’ll be able to avoid the Christian Slater curse.

• Nicole says:

I know tv is subjective, and of course you’re entitled to your opinion, but I don’t see in what universe Running Wilde and Traffic Light are comparable. RW was a tragic disappointment given the stars and pedigree, granted. But Traffic Light is, in my opinion, SO MUCH BETTER. I love the cast – and last night they had guest spots by Rob Huebel and Ricki Lindhome (half of Garfunkel & Oates). I laugh a lot while watching it, and look forward to it every week.

2. Tucker says:

I guess his pilot at SyFy is dead for sure now…?

3. Scott says:

It’s awesome to see Michael Rosenbaum get a shoow, he’s too funny not to be on tv.

4. Smallville Fan says:

GO MICHAEL ROSENBAUM!! THANK YOU FOR COMING BACK TO SMALLVILLE!

WE LOVE YOU!

5. Hank says:

Who is this guy? Anyways can’t wait to see Christian Slater back in action!

6. mattnoballs says:

way don’t you scared guys give us some news about i don’t know the real stars of smallville clark and lois i am so sick and tired of hearing about rosenbaum you guys suck. you do know that ed and tw stayed with the show and did not jump ship like mr and kk mabey you can show some respect to them and there fans and give us some dang news about a wedding. what every one can be happy but the real fans that stuck with the show.

• Jen says:

Clark and Lois? From Smallville? The real stars? Are you kidding? Those pathetic losers are the worst versions of Clark and Lois ever. Michael did not ‘jump ship’, not that I’d blame him if he had. His contract was up, and he was sick to death of shaving his head and putting up with all the abuse his character was given. It was sickening the way Lex Luthor was treated on that show. Even if he was ‘the villain’, he should have been left some dignity. Instead, his character was dragged through the mud and treated like crap, just so the most pathetic version of Clark Kent/Superman ever would look better, and more heroic. Not that it worked, of course, because nothing would make this Clark Kent look heroic.

• Mandrake says:

I’m sure you’ll watch the two hour finale of Smallville. You just want to hate because hating everything today is “trendy”.

• Jen says:

No, I will not be watching the two hour finale of Smallville, and no, I do not hate it because it’s ‘trendy’ to hate things. I had no idea it was trendy to hate things, and now I know it, I don’t give a damn. Listen, sometimes things are just BAD, and Smallville is one of them. The list of retcons is ridiculous, just for a start. The acting is lousy, most of the time. Clark Kent makes me sick with his whining and his constant need for everyone to kiss his ass and tell him his future life will be wonderful just so he can get out of bed in the morning. And all that is just the beginning. Why would I want to waste two hours of my life watching this garbage?

And if you ask me why I waste my time pointing all this out, it’s because the faults of this show get ignored or covered up and people talk about it like it was wonderful, and I think that someone, somewhere should provide evidence for the other side. Why should only the Smallville fans get to give their opinions?

Smallville could have been great. The potential was there. But it failed, or rather, the writers and producers and actors failed, because they thought they didn’t have to work to produce a good show about Superman. Well, they were wrong.

7. John Berggren says:

This man looks sooooooooooooooo much better with hair.

• Snsetblaze says:

It is very disconcerting to see him with hair. Yes he does look better … he’s very handsome .. its just wierd. I did not recognize him.

8. Mike says:

I’m happy for him, but this show stars Christian Slater and his shows are usually canceled after 6 episodes

9. mgb says:

Michael Rosenbaum is a truly gifted comedian and actor. I’m glad he’s having so much success, and I thank him sincerely for returning to Smallville for the series finale. I plan on watching this new show simply because he’s on it. I never would have considered it otherwise.

10. ruth says:

Love him. So happy he’s returning to Smallville. I’ll definitely watch his new show too. It looks funny.

11. jay says:

hahahaha….this show looks great. But since bret harrison is on this show, my guess is that V either gets canceled or he gets killed.

12. Melissa says:

I love Brett Harrison and think he is hilarious, so I will give anything he is in a try. I loved him in Reaper, so I’m excited to see what this show has to offer. Great cast though~!!!!

13. LeeLee says:

I might give it a try because I really like Michael Rosenbaum, but this looks incredibly lame and unoriginal. Too bad.

14. Leah says:

Hmm…this show could either be really funny or painfully cliche.

15. nurudeenopeyemi says:

I dn’t kno what 2 say

16. Jen says:

I’m so happy Michael Rosenbaum has a new show. I hope it’s a better one than Smallville — not that such a feat is all that difficult. MR was the best thing on SV, and deserves so much better. I wish he hadn’t been bullied into returning to that mess, and hope they paid him a lot of money to do so. Boo to all those bullies who forced him into going back to that nightmare.

17. Disu abosede says:

U ar d best micheal,even if u are once a villian in smallville,u are still d best,no one can play ur role bettet except u&dat makes u special,it shows dat u are a gifted actor.

18. robert says:

I just want to see him return to the greatest tv show and superhero show ever. . . . SMALLVILLE. . . so sad its the last 7 or 8 episodes, i really hope there is a spinoff of a Superman tv show with Tom Welling and or a Smallville movie and or a justice league spinoff even a green arrow

19. mariep says:

I really like Michael Rosenbaum too, genial

20. Ayo says:

Thank goodness! i’m finally gonna see michael again…i still don’t understand why he left ‘smallville’…he was freaking good with his role as ‘lex’…maybe he needed a break…but the most important thing is that he is back…i hope kristen & allison do the same…THANKS FOR COMING BACK,MIKE/LEX.