Gossip Girl Boss on the Big Dan/Blair Smooch: 'It Was a Long Time Coming'

After weeks of “Will they or won’t they?” suspense, Gossip Girl‘s Dan and Blair finally took their flirtation beyond flirtation with a big kiss in last night’s pre-spring finale. What’s more, the eventful hour also saw the departure of a major recurring character (Ben), the return of Serena’s pa (William Baldwin), and… did I mention a certain seismic smooch? To help us make sense of the madness, and tide us over during the seven-week hiatus, here’s exec producer Josh Safran with an exclusive post-mortem-slash-sneak peek.

TVLINE | After last night’s kiss, can we now say that Dan and Blair are moving in the direction of a romance?
I don’t want to say that or not say that. We made a very conscious choice to take Dan and Blair slowly. We’re well aware that we can put couples together and break them up much faster than other shows can. And we really wanted to build what we felt has been there since season 1 in “Bad News Blair,” when Dan and Blair had their little moment in the hallway where they talked about their problems with their parents. So we just sort of realized that they had this long brewing friendship-slash-whatever it was. So I think what you can hope for is that Dan and Blair will continue to be connected and that story will continue to grow.

TVLINE | You’ve explored every possible romantic combination over the past four years. What sets the Dan/Blair combo apart in your eyes?
We always knew we wanted to do this. We actually toyed with doing it last year, but we felt that it was too soon. We wanted to wait as long as possible — and that helped the story. Because it felt like it was a long time coming and you were ready to go there with them. We hope to continue following it, maybe in unexpected ways.

TVLINE | Skeptics would say this Dan/Blair thing is just a temporary diversion until Blair returns to Chuck. Did you leave open the possibility that if Dan and Blair really clicked — and for my money they have — that maybe it’s not all about Chuck and Blair?
One thing we are very conscious of — and I know some fans get upset about this — is we really try to treat the characters as living, breathing, well-rounded individuals. And we’re often surprised by where their journeys take them; they open new doors for us all the time. It’s not like we’re saying, “No, there’s only this one couple and that’s it.” We really believe in going on a journey with them, which I know for some people can be frustrating. But for us it can be creatively fulfilling to go, like, “Wow. Dan and Blair have had this connection that has always been there. And they are maturing and growing older and whereas before they might’ve looked down on that connection maybe they can now find some solace in that connection. That is a fun thing to witness. Chuck and Blair are always going to be connected in their way, and Dan and Serena are always going to be connected in their way. But that doesn’t mean that there won’t be new roads to go down that might be different than what we initially anticipated.

TVLINE | Are you a Dan/Blair fan?
I’m a fan of all the characters. [Laughs] I really am. I love them all.

TVLINE | But when you watch them together…
I wrote that scene in “Bad News Blair” with the two of them in the hallway, so I’ve been a fan of them from the beginning. But I’m also very much a fan of Chuck and Blair and Dan and Serena.

TVLINE | Talk to me about the decision to do a freeze-frame of the kiss at the end of the episode as opposed to something more traditional, like a fade-to-black or just letting the kiss play out.
We’re off the air for seven weeks so we wanted to make a cliffhanger out of it. We often follow kisses all the way through and we stop after they pull apart and the question would be, “What are they thinking?” We really wanted instead to let the audience project what that kiss is. “How long does it go on for? What happens after?” They could be kissing for seven weeks. [Laughs]

TVLINE | Will we pick up mid-kiss when the show returns or are we jumping seven weeks ahead?
We are not jumping seven weeks ahead.

TVLINE | So we’ll still be in that moment?
I am not going to say that.

TVLINE | Switching gears, was last night Ben’s farewell?

TVLINE | So have you pretty much closed the book on the Juliet story?
Not exactly. As you witnessed by Lily turning herself in, that arc will continue for the rest of the season, it just changes in certain ways. First they were going after Serena, then you realized it was really Lily who did it, then these six episodes were Lily coming to grips with what she did, and then the last five episodes of the season will follow that through. It’s one big arc about paying for your sins and what that means, which is paralleled by Chuck dealing with the sin that has come to light about his father.

TVLINE | Speaking of which, why did Chuck take Russell at his word? Isn’t it possible this was just another one of his manipulations?
Keep watching. What you are saying is not something that slipped by us. We have a plan.

TVLINE | Why was Chuck so desperate to connect with Blair after the bombshell was dropped on him?
Whenever Chuck learns information that impacts him, she’s the only one he can talk to. That’s the person he connects with the most. That’s the person he can let his guard down around and [confess] what he’s really feeling.

For more from Safran, including the latest on the rumored returns of Georgina and Jenny, stand by for this week’s Ask Ausiello. In the meantime, hit the comments with your thoughts about Dair, Chair, and other assorted GG mash-ups.

1. Dominic says:

Best episode ever, the kiss was epic, I hope Blair and Dan last, they deserve it and each other. OH god I have been waiting for four years now, YAY!!

• redreh says:

My thoughts exactly. Seriously. Chair was my endgame, but after all they’ve been through, Dair’s it. And it’s nice to hear him acknowledge that the characters morph and change–at this place, in their lives, Dair makes so much sense. It always has, but now they can acknowledge it.
      Happy sun-shine and daisies it’s a good day!

• Brooke says:

Seriously!! Chuck and Blair are destined to be together forever!! I can’t believe she forgave him, Dan is awful and so annoying! Bla Bla Blah!

2. Vannessa says:

Loooooove Dair but c’mon Blair’s going back to Chuck. :(

3. samanthafromitaly says:

Dair reminds me so much of Pacey and Joey. and they were not supposed to be endgame as well……so….here’s to hope!!

• Liz says:

yeah someone who shares my sentiment. They are one of the most epic couples and DAIR is that good. Plus Joey and Pacey where so good together never got boring. Plus after they broke up they had this real awesome relationship in which they could tell each other everything.

• J says:

So totally agree! I’m glad to see other fans open to unexpected but interesting possibilities for these characters, and I’m psyched to find that the writers are willing to go with the obvious chemistry between these actors and make the most of it. The Joey and pacey reference was perfect; this feels so much like that and I loved that relationship.

• Roxanne says:

I agree with this 110% i was a huge joey and pacey fan!!! just wish they would have gone more in depth on the story line besides having them on the couch watching dawson’s show would have been nice to see more of a glimpse into their lives than!!!

• deansmistress22 says:

Completely agree with this. Very much like Pacey and Joey. Except that Blair is the one that is a little rough around the edges. I love Dair… I think that Blair is able to be a better person with Dan. Plus they are really adorable together.

4. cibele says:

I really like Dan and Blair. It gave the show a breath of fresh air, something new for a chance. I always liked their connection and I’m really happy that we get to see more of this now. I like how they are book smart, art lovers and have all the same things in common. Not scheming or big things, just simple things in common like taste a favorite author or artist. And they are cute :)

5. Ingmar says:

I love Dair, but I realy fear the writers will end their friendship for a while, lol. I think their kiss make them realise they are not supposed to be a couple and make them question their friendship.

I love their friendship. Its the best on the show at this time and I dont want it to end. I dont need a romance, but their friendship is enought!

6. Stephanie says:

I know one of the producers already mentioned how they wanted to keep Chuck and Blair for the “finish line” I sincerely hope that it not the case. I love Dair- as this is coming from a former “Chair” fan…that relationship became too abusive and destructive for me taste. More lust than love.
    So I hope the writers do give a fair chance to Dan and Blair….honestly, it’s the only reason I’ve started watching the show again.
    I appreciate they took their relationship more slowly, it feels so much more mature and adult then all these past “hookups”

• redreh says:

Oh, it’s so glorious to hear so much sense from fellow Dair fans, especially from former Chair shippers, like me.
      Dair Dair Dair. Sometimes it’s the surprises that are the best relationships.

• moerieda says:

I don’t think chuck and blair can be over it will never be over but dan and blair is so lovely I love them but in the end they should stay friends c and b together d and s that’s it

• Roxanne says:

So very true!!!!! as we will see in the next episode Chuck is going to go off his rocker, probably pushing Blair even farther away…he is now that obsessive boyfriend that wont take NO for an answer…and than the prince will be forced to leave NY leaving Blair broken again therefore leaving dan to put her back together again!! :)

• Mizuki says:

I absolutely agree. I’m also a fellow former Chair fan, but after the hotel incident this really stopped being about love and ended about obsession and lust.

Dan and Blair, on the other hand… I actually stopped watching the show when I thought that they were going there! I thought, OMG, this is the last bastion of enexplored pairings, everyone else has already slept with each other, come ON! But then I returned… and fell head over heels for Dair. It’s adorable, it’s glorious, it gives me butterflies, and they are so perfect for each other! And when I went through the plot uptil now, I saw that there was a huge amount of build up for it… I thought it was all my wishful thinking, but it seems like it isn’t xD

7. T says:

Dair really is the only interesting thing on the show anymore. If they let Blair go back to Chuck who sold her to her uncle and slept with Jenny right before he was about to propose to Blair then the show can be canceled. The treatment of Blair by Chuck is heinous and Blair does not deserve that.

8. lory says:

i hope blair and dan are endgame they are amazing together

9. Jack says:

I hope Blair’s not going back to Chuck and WTF, what about Serena and Nate? I can’t believe Derena is going to happen again, that’d be awful.

• Em says:

I don’t think Derena’s going to happen again – they share a sibling plus, Penn/Blake’s breakup was kind of bad so I don’t think they want their characters together anymore.

• sheri says:

As for the dair friendliness I kinda like it even tho they r complete opposites and as the kiss goes who knows if they’ll actually become something more than just “friends”. The Penn/Blake break-up definitely changed things for the show and the interaction between the other cast mates…

10. cibele says:

Chuck forgot about Blair for weeks. Suddenly when Raina was not available and he was sad, he asked where Blair was. I’m tired of Blair being abused. It’s really nice to see her happy for a change, involved in her own problems, but happy the same. And in Dan she really has a friend. And seriously, the rest of this show is pretty boring right now.

11. Sam says:

I think it’s pretty obvious Blair/Chuck will be endgame… maybe Dan/Serena, but I have hope for Dan/Blair… who knows they could surprise us and have this last.

• Dominic says:

I thought they just said there was an end game, pacey and joey was a pit stop, spanner in the works and fans changed that into one of the best tv couples around. FANS let us rally and be heard DAIR till death them part.

12. Kaibosh says:

I’ve always liked Dan and Blair’s interactions. I hope they make it. For the record I think the End Game will look like this…which I have thought it would since season 2…….Dan and Blair…Nate and Jenny…Chuck and Vanessa….Serena on her own to explore the world like Buffy.

• Ingmar says:

Honestly I think it will be like this : Dan and Vanessa…Blair and Chuck…Nate and Serena…..Jenny with an unknown guy. And ofcourse Eric + Handsome dude :P

• Charishma says:

I always thought it would be like that too :) lol…but slight alteration. I thought both Chuck and Serena would be on their own–growing and figuring out what they want.

13. MC says:

Uh, Db just gave GG the worst ratings EVER. EVER with all three promotions they were in including last night. The morons in charge need to face it as do you Ausiello. Wake up, this ship SUNK GG.

• T says:

Which storyline was at the forefront of last night and for the past couple weeks? Oh that would be Chuck and his stupid company crap. Nobody gives a damn about it.

• MC says:

No DB was promoted. You DBers and Ausiello are ridiculous. CHuck adn Blair are way better and the ratings agree. Wake up and smell the failure

• TK says:

Oh FFS. Episodes with Blair and Dan at NYU have the best ratings in S3. Then the episode where there’s no single scene of Chair and a Dan/Blair road-trip is the highest rated episode in S4. Sort yourself out, seriously.

• amy says:

Actually the highest rated episode of S4 is Touch of Eva.

4×11 The Townie
            2.4/6 w18-34

4×04 Touch of Eva
            2.8/7 W18-34

W18-34 demos are all that matters..

14. NataliePortmania says:

After reading this now i wonder is it possible that dan and blair really last like a real couple? Will chair be just soulmates but doesnt neccessarily mean they have to be “in a relationship” to have some special kind of bonding?

What happens afterwards. This will surely shake the manhattan.

Dan and blair i think they are good for each other. They are the reason why i still watch GG aside from the fact that it just has been a habit why i watch GG. The DAIR arc brought back the excitement on GG which they have been missing for a while now. I hope the writers play this well and do not end up disappointing us they better have a good plan.

• swampophelia says:

well the theme of true love vs soulmates have been dealt with before. most well known example being Pacey and Joey vs. Joey and Dawson. then there’s also Kara/Lee and Kara/Sam, and we know who was chosen at the end of both Dawson’s Creek and BSG. i’m rooting for the PJO upset on GG. for me Dan and Blair are the Pacey/Joey of this generation of teen shows.

15. Brandan says:

I’d much rather have Chuck and Vanessa. I always felt that relationship was full of potential. And as much as Dan annoys me, I like the idea of him with Blair than I do with his SISTER, Serena. Until Rufus breaks up with Lily, which we all know will happen, I simply can not accept Serena with Dan.

• John says:

I don’t like the idea of Dan with Jenny either :)

I don’t know why people make such a big deal of this. If Dan and Serena are NOT brother and sister. Real life is not quite like an over retconned soap, but it’s not unknown for couples to meet because their respective parents are dating, or because their grown up children are dating – if they don’t have parents in common then it isn’t incest.

That said, I prefer D+B to D+S. Serena is pretty but once you get past that she’s really boring.

16. Jenna says:

• Steph says:

^ This is why I’d hate to see Chuck and Blair end up together. Consistenly many (not ALL, that’d be like insulting myself back when I liked ’em) fans show such immaturity at the mere notion of Dan and Blair…as if the show is only suppose to cater to these girls’ every whim. It’s not. Yes Chair has a large fanbase, but from what I can tell, and I may very well be wrong, many of their fans are well “jumped ship”.

Just because you’re “LOUD” doesn’t mean you know it all.

• Allie says:

Many of their fans are just not watching the show right now and not bothering reading articles like this one, which explains the one-sidedness of the comments section. This was the first episode I’ve watched in months, and… doesn’t appear I was missing much.

• Jenna says:

• sweetiepie1019 says:

Yes, well, ratings for this show started falling in season three – the season that Chuck and Blair finally became a couple. Not to mention that the awful stories that Serena, Chuck and Nate have been stuck in lately probably aren’t helping viewership at the moment. I don’t think you can blame any of the couples, Chair or Dair, when the real problem is the not on par writing that has plagued the last two seasons. The beginning of the season did have the surprisingly engaging Juliet storyline; it fell flat when handed off to Ben, and the Bass Industries plot is no better. Dair, whether you personally like it or not, has been popular among the fans; so was Chair (for the most part) before the hotel/Jenny debacle. The spotty writing and boring plots are the problem; put the blame where it needs to be.
          Also, being rude, loud and obnoxious instead of intelligently arguing your point? Well, you can go ask Charlie Sheen (and his current unemployment) how well that tact works for him. I like Chair and Dair, but the Chair fans are really making me not want to be on their side. You don’t have to agree, but you don’t have to be a jerk about it, either.

• Roxanne says:

It’s because of the mystery and intrigue!!! fans want to watch a relationship progress and have cliff hangers otherwise what’s the use of watching it…Dair made a true connection…they became friends slowly and Dan may have realized first that his feelings are real but eventually Blair will realize it because Dan wont be able to conceal it…i mean an outsider spotted it just by seeing them kiss one time…i think blair is merely suppressing her feelings because of the social ramifications…just like with the Prince in her…it isn’t acceptable for royalty to marry non-royalty just like it isn’t sociably acceptable for upper class to marry lower class!!!

• Amanda says:

Dair fans can be really immature and bashful as well, it goes both sides.
        I am still a huge Chuck and Blair fan but I simply refuse to watch this show any longer.

Even if they put Chair together again, I just can’t watch it anymore after all that happened.
        Oh and the writing is absolutely ridiculous. This show is dead to me and I know many Chuck and Blair fans feel the same way.

• GiGi says:

Did you ever stop to think that the ratings might be down because every storyline OTHER than Dan/Blair’s sucks?! If you look at the reactions of fans of GG the only storyline they like is Dair. Dair is keeping this show afloat right now! You rabid Chair fans need to calm the heck down. People are loving Dair. Deal. With. It.

• wickedfan says:

No, not all of us do. This little faction does. All 3 heavily promoted DB episodes ALL have the lowest ratings. We’re not desperate, you are if you think people are tuning in for this.

• GiGi says:

The Dair faction is not so little. It’s growing everyday and that’s why you Chair loonies are so furious. You all have been bullying TPTB into protecting Chair for years. And I’m sure they are as sick of it as many fans are. Can you just allow the show room to breathe and stop demanding the producers hold your hands like the little babies you are about your precious Chair? I will cry tears of pure joy if you guys are denied Chair as endgame.I will also do a little happy dance.

• Nat says:

omg you people sound like broken records…stop being so desperate.

• rgg says:

While I applaud smart comments, I really hate ones that don’t have basis, much less, sense. The ratings are factored by a lot of things and not just by two characters. Recognizing the fact that DAIR can affect the rating of the show in a massive way is reflective of how the other fans are threatened with the pair’s rising popularity. Coming from the CHAIR ship (I swear, I was a BIG fan before), I wish fans would just stop being so desperate. Let’s admit it, we loved the S1 and S2 Chuck and Blair. When they grew up, they didn’t seem right together anymore.

On another note, I am really really looking forward to more DAIR scenes. I honestly stopped watching by mid Season 3 because it got boring but now I am back being an avid fan of the show. The DAIR storyline was well written and the surprising chemistry between Dan and Blair is very much enjoyable. This is a case of two people who’s right for each other, finding each other at the right time. I do hope the writers explore them more. :)

Thank you Ausiello and Josh for this article. This made me hope that we’ll get to watch more fun and entertaining episodes in the future.

• juliexxx says:

I complitely agree with you !!!!! BLAIR and CHUCK are my favourite characters and their story is the most interesting thing of the serie !!!

( sory for my english i’m frensh ;) )

17. Soph says:

they are perfect for each other!

18. n says:

Loved the Dair kiss! (And I love their squish name) I like Chuck/Blair too though! I hate Dan/Serena…actually Dair is the only Dan pairing I like! What about Serena/Nate!! I love them!

19. Raksha says:

Oh dear God, Dair is the best pairing ever. I hope the writers are not going to break them up, becasue Chair is way too twisted and depressing, and Dan-Serena is just…incestuous..atleast kind of incestuous. I am done with overdrama that is there in Dan-Serena, Chuck-Blair relationship. I really feel like Dair is like breath of fresh air, and I dont think their banter will EVER get old. Dair forever!!!

20. Katie says:

Thank you for the interview, Ausiello and Josh.

Dair makes me so happy I want to burst. So….job well done. I was most definitely ready to GO THERE. I don’t think I’ve ever loved a tv couple as much as I love Dan and Blair, so thanks for that so much.

I also would not mind if that kiss lasts for 7 weeks. Food and oxygen be danmed.

21. GiGi says:

I Dared to Dair and I’m absolutely loving them together. I hope the writers realize a lot of fans love this pairing and continue it. Dair FTW!

22. Sean says:

Even though I love Dan/Blair, I still think Chuck/Blair are endgame. I have a bad feelign they are going to ruin the Dan/Blair friendship/romance later on.

23. wickedfan says:

I hate to bring bad news but GG is having LUX type ratings with Ban on.Last night people stopped watching half way through the episode. What does that tell you Mr. Ausiello? They aren’t that great. They are no great ship and now I guess you can’t say they gave a ratings boost when ratings dropped can you Bring back Chuck and Blair and quit pushing BS.

24. Tiffy says:

25. Kris says:

I love Dan/Blair. I’m a fan of Chair/Derena but I love their chemistry so much. I love that the writers took their time with the relationship instead of shoving them together like they did with Serena/Ben. It made that kiss so much more special. I really hope the writers take their time with this couple and give them real romance. Even if they don’t last i hope they give them a real relationship and maintain their friendship after they break up.

26. Kate says:

Thanks for the interview! I’ve surprised myself with how much I’ve started rooting for Dan and Blair

27. Jenna says:

I’ll take Chuck and Blair anyday over this thank you.

28. Jenna says:

• Get a life says:

HE’S the tool? Pot, meet kettle.

• redreh says:

Jenna, seriously? You’ve just commented in all-caps on about 10 posts saying the same thing in a very rude way.
      If you like CB so much to fight for them, do it an a mature and sensible way. You just come off foolish like this.

• rgg says:

Exactly what I’m thinking!

I know there are a lot of mature and sensible CHAIR fans out there (having been one before), but there are just some like that girl who becomes bad representation of them. :(

29. ade says:

I can’t wait till april!! DAIR is the best thing on the show right now, i’ve been waiting for them since forever!

• Jenna says:

• Susan says:

I’m sorry did you mean to write they “won’t last.” If you are going to try and insult Dan and Blar dear, you might want to make sure your comment actually makes sense.

• GiGi says:

I’m sorry did you mean to write “they won’t last”? If you are going to insult Dan and Blair dear, you might want to make sure your comment actually makes sense.

• Dirae says:

Jesus Christ, Jenna, you’re the only one here who’s being immature and typing in OMGALLCAPS!!! responding to every comment. If you can’t come up with a rational defense for the abusive, destructive relationship that is Chuck and Blair, then don’t say anything. Screaming doesn’t convince people.

30. Kelly says:

I love Dan and Blair together. But just like another ship I’ve come to love (Jackson/Lexie,Grey’s Anatomy), I feel the show will go back to the former pairings.

31. MiMi says:

dan and blair ftw!!! they have such awesome chemistry and as much as they’d hate to admit this, they get along quite well. i love how sophisticated and cultured all their banters are. they’re just lovely and are the only reason i started watching GG again! PLEASE HAVE THEM BE ENDGAME!!!! or for now, i’ll just be happy if you even give them a FAIR chance at a relationship and not just use them as a tool for blair and chuck to get back together!

32. MiMi says:

33. Livia says:

I actually found last night’s episode to be incredibly boring, and actually, the season as well. I don’t care about Russell Thorpe. I don’t care about Raina. I HATE BEN! One of the most useless guest characters ever. Vanessa had two seconds of screen time, but for what? USELESS. The only thing about last night that was remotely intriguing was the possibility of Lily going to jail, and Dair and the consequences of their actions. (Chuck jealous is going to be great!) That’s it.

It’s like Gossip Girl has forgotten what it is. The best episodes this season were all the ones involving takedowns of Juliet. Not some random blond “child molester” who just got out of jail and suddenly has a romance with the girl whose family put him in jail (HONESTLY, NO ONE DOES THAT!). Not some obscure Chicago businessman who’s intent on destroying Bass Industries for revenge while Chuck and Nate get busy with his daughter (which by the way was totally RANDOM!) This show was made on drama, schemes, and manipulation. There’s a reason why Georgina is a favorite guest character among fans. Bring back the scheming with the core characters and not secondary guest spots! Bring back the drama (which judging by the promo for the next episode, looks like they’re doing)! Bring back what made Gossip Girl great!

34. Flor says:

I can’t imagine why anyone would blame the low ratings on Dair (unless you’re the much obvious mindless Chair-shipper). I loved (LOVED) Chair, but their relationship has grown much too immature. It’s quite obvious that the whole Lily/Ben + Thorpe/Bass storyline just not juicy enough to keep the GG audience in.

However, Dair is sophisticated, intelligent and brilliantly written. The only thing worth taking my time to watch right now. Let’s face it, Dan and Blair fill all the pieces that were missing with Chair and Derena. It’s fiercely obvious when Blair loves, she LOVES and remains loyal to it, as opposed to Serena’s treatment of Dan. And when Dan loves, he will sacrifice everything for his one and only, as opposed to Chuck’s treatment of Blair.

The dynamic has been keeping this ship afloat!

• Dominic says:

Exactly i had to mute when Dan/Blair, or Dair or anything to do with them wasn’t on the screen, there interactions make me want to watch desperately, it is captivating, which tv rarely does

• Bee says:

my thoughts exactly. dan and blair are just perfect for each other. they complement one another wonderfully..

35. Kat says:

DAIR IS FATE!! I love you writers! Thank you with all my heart for Dair!!!

36. Ashley says:

Oh please. If the ratings had been high last night, all the Dair fans would say it was b/c of Dair. You can’t have it both ways. Dair is what is being promoted and Dair is what is turning off the majority of the audience.

• redreh says:

Actually, in the first Dair promoted episode of this year, the ratings were massively up from before. The ratings are still low (because most of this show isn’t that good anymore), but Dair has brought them up.
      So…. Yeah.
      And you can find those numbers I’m referring to right here on this site.

• Flor says:

I don’t understand your logic here. If the ratings had been high, of course Dair fans would have said it was because of Dair. Seeing as Dair fans believe that the reason ratings are low is due to the rest of the storyline, and the only thing keeping the show afloat is Dair. Both positions are consistent with one another, and make sense “both ways.”

37. ggny says:

April 18th preview where amazing..Dan/Blair making out with someone taping it and Chuck going to Brooklyn to comfort Dan man is it gonna be a epic episode back after the cliffhanger

38. Allie says:

So they’ve been planning a Dan/Blair hookup since S3 and *that* ridiculous awkwardness was what they ended up with? Jesus, it was painful to watch.

39. Sarah says:

Im sorry but I cannot stand Dan and Blair as an actual couple. Their friendship…maybe, but as a couple it really pisses me off. Chuck and Blair have had me invested for 4 years, that’s not gonna change. Chair!!!!!

• Meg says:

I am so on board with you. I don’t like Ban as a couple. They aren’t interesting and the remotes have voted, so many don’t like it that they stopped watching.

• Dom says:

BUt this has been a long time coming, i used to love chair, but it was immature, self destructive, and that is wrong. Their friendship has evolved, with genuinely good scenes and the thing is that this also happens in life as well, well it happened to me, and you know what i enjoy this relationship and i hope it lasts.

40. Christine says:

How completely blindsighted would fans be if Dair was endgame?!
    Its just like Gossip Girl to throw us for a last loop.

Every character needs to have their journey and meet their realizations.
    That is exactly what would happen if Dan and Blair end up together.
    I don’t think they will see it all the way through this season. (We all know the French prince is coming back and now that Serena is single it is only a matter of time till Dan comes sniffing around) but perhaps next season we will see some more romance :)

I’m in love with the Dair storyline. and even though I was glad that Chair got together in season 2, wouldn’t it be refreshing tv for the two most unlikely pair to in fact be perfect for one another?

• Allie says:

I’d quit the show entirely if they revisited this storyline next season, to be honest. I don’t like how they’ve changed Blair to try and make her compatible with Dan, she’s just not the character I loved a season or two ago.

• Xoxo says:

That’s the real Blair, though. Smart, intelligent and in charge. Are you telling me that you love Blair the doormat who was willing to whore herself out to an attempted rapist for an abusive, manipulative and self-centered BASStard? As a fellow woman, this disgusts me on so many levels. I don’t understand you.

• wickedfan says:

Blair is a watered down moron with Dan. Get your eyesight checked.

• chirs says:

I think that Blair has changed a lot since season 1, but that is true for all the characters.
            She is trying to find a side of herself that she can be comfortable with. Like she said to Chuck, “I don’t like the person i have become with you.” For right now at least, she is comfortable with Dan.
            Blair is still Blair, she is just growing and maturing.

• Natasha M. says:

I think it’s you who needs to get checked if you really think a girl should forever be with an ungrateful, slimy ex-bf who sold you out for a hotel (which you still haven’t answered and continue to ignore it has ever happened BTW).

• Meg says:

No. I am okay with Ban friendship but a couple- no. That kiss was atrocious and had no chemistry at all.

• Laura says:

41. Em says:

Yay at backtracking at endgames (at least that’s what it sounded like to me). Dan and Blair have what adults call a MATURE relationship that isn’t based on lust. Aside from that, most people don’t marry their high school sweethearts. I hope the writers don’t pander to these immature children who don’t know what real relationships are like. DB are perfect in every way. And I can’t believe people don’t see the chemistry (granted they are CB people with their shipper goggles on). I haven’t seen Penn or Leighton so animated in their scenes before. And as for the OOC complaints, I believe the characters are growing up. At least, these two are. They belong together.

42. Laura says:

Its so nice to get excited about this show again. ALL CREDIT GOES TO DAN AND BLAIR. But I dont trust TPTB…they will ruin it and go back to the snorefest that is ChuckBlair. I just cant get enough of Dair!

43. Katie says:

I love DAIR they are my sole reason for even bothering with GG. I adore the chemistry between PB/LM and I hope DAIR is given a real chance as they are fast becomming my end game couple. I am sad that I fear they will be ruined and squandered to cator to the rabid Chair fans and that toxic pairing but they have too good of chemistry and potential to be denied.

As for the ratings I love the spin that is becuase of Dair. The rest of the show sucks so bad and last week heavily featured Dair and ratings where good. I sadly think too many fans have been lost and even somes precious Chair cannot save the ratings the writting and the rest of the plots are simply destroying GG and DAIR is many people’s only reason for even bothering but nice spin Chair fans.

44. Xoxo says:

DAN and BLAIR are amazing together! They give me butterflies! PLEASE go there! Don’t screw it up by going back to Chair. I would stop watching in a heartbeat.

45. Meg says:

I voted with my remote not to watch Ban so did others. I guess you didn’t get your 23% boost huh, Ausi? Oh, GG what an awful mess of a show you became. When Chuck and Blair are back I’ll just laugh.

46. Laura says:

RE: Nielsen ratings: LoL how many Chair fans actually have those nielsen boxes?

47. Sarah says:

I used to be a huge Chair/Derena fan but honestly after everything that has happened between these couples Dair is a breath of fresh air. They have the potential to be great together especially if they take it slow. Maybe we have another Pacey/Joey couple in the works.

48. Della says:

Dair is the only thing happening now. Yet Im glad they save it for this season, not seasons before. And I do agree with his opinion saying that the characters shall move on, not stuck in ‘I will go with him forever’ thingy. They’re young, they should decide whats better for them. For me, Dair happens along time ago and its very refreshing to see them together now. Take it slow, then it will last longer…

49. Ashley says:

Thank god I stopped watching after 4×11 cause this show is circling the drain. watching them try and justify EVERY new coupling is pathetic. I fully expect Chuck and Lily next season and I’ll be on standby for an interview that explains their “connection.” Seriously, it’s so lame. And why do Dan and Blair look so much like siblings? Just saying.

• Meg says:

With you there!

Dair is not long lasting by a long shot. Why do you think that kiss was so lame? It goes nowhere. Look at ratings, they are the worst of the series. If they want to get canceled keep DB on.

50. Laura says:

Stay classy, Chair kids. I don’t know why I bother getting sucked in, but I credit Dan/Blair truly. I’m in my late 20’s watching this damn show when I gave up on it long time ago. That’s the power of great, intelligent and mature writing. Oh well, Season 5 for Dair? Yes! And what’s that sound you hear? Chair kids getting scared out of their asses because finally, FINALLY! a real threat to their beloved ship. For now I want to thank the writers for this incredibly well-thought out journey of Dair that has got me distracted – wherever it may go.

• al says:

Depends on what you classify as a threat.. I would for sure call Blair being engaged to the prince a threat.. but then that has nothing to do with DB.

• Marissa says:

I’m totally over Chair…Chuck is a jerk!

Dair team!!

• Natasha M. says:

I agree 100%. Those few number of CB fans arguments aren’t even valid. So sad :(

The writers are definitely bringing their A game with Dan and Blair storyline – their dialogues are so good, and the build up is pretty decent. I am really intrigued to see how the whole story goes.

Chair is downright disgrace to relationships.
      I don’t ship animal sex, thank you very much.

• rgg says:

I really liked how you came to that realization about the animosity from CHAIR fans. Why can’t we all just sit back and enjoy the show?

I think, the DAIR storyline has been the most entertaining storyline in the show. By the end of an episode, I’m satisfied with the drama but still has a smile on my face. Truly leaves you with a good feeling. CHAIR did that to me during S1 and S2, but not anymore. In my opinion, they grew up and they just isn’t right for each other anymore.

Echoing your words, “Stay classy, CHAIR kids”. :)

DAIR is love! :)