Private Practice Exclusive: Shrink Role Fits ER Alum Alex Kingston

Get More: Casting News, Exclusive

Someone at Oceanside Wellness must have paged ER, stat!, because Alex Kingston is making tracks for ABC’s Private Practice.

‘AddiSam’ Baby Talk From Private Practice Boss Shonda Rhimes

Kingston has landed the multi-episode role of Marla, a shrink who will help out one of our favorites work through a personal ordeal.

Exclusive: Private Practice Brings Back Grant Show – For A Deadly Twist?

Since her ER days, Kingston has never been off the TV scene for long at all. Most recently, she had recurring arcs on Law & Order: SVU (as New York City Defense Attorney Miranda Pond) and FlashForward. This spring, she will continue her role as Doctor Who‘s River Song.

Comments (25)

• Whenever I see Alex has been cast in something, I always have two simultaneous reactions:

1. Yay! Alex on my screen!
    2. Oh no, time spent elsewhere is time she is not being badass River Song.

This is possibly not the most logical reaction. :)

Comment by kat – February 4, 2011 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ^This! I love Alex as River Song.

Comment by Megan – February 4, 2011 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agreed.

Comment by Snsetblaze – February 4, 2011 10:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You read my mind!

Comment by TimeShiftingMom – February 4, 2011 10:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If this isn’t logical thinking, I will happily be insane with you; I thought the exact same thing when I read this. :)

Comment by Elizabeth – February 5, 2011 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yup! First thing I thought when I read this was, *this better not take her time away from DOCTOR WHO*….

Comment by I_Captain Blanco – February 7, 2011 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOL. They need someone pretty and that can act to offset the fact that Kadee Strickland has too many unfortunate angles, and cant act. If they insist on pursuing that crappy storyline they need to put real talent on screen.

Comment by Roxy – February 4, 2011 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Alex Kingston, but I am over the Charlotte storyline. It is boring and repetitive of Violet’s attack.

Comment by Sara – February 4, 2011 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Spoilers!

Comment by Sterling – February 4, 2011 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! I’ve loved Alex for years and I never get tired of seeing her on my screen. Let’s hope she keeps her English accent though; I’m not a fan of when English actors drop their accents for roles.

Comment by xav – February 4, 2011 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She’ll be great!

Comment by trista – February 4, 2011 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it’s more likely she could be helping Addie. SPOILER ……………………………………………………………………..we know Bizzy dies (suicide ?) and Addie had a breakdown of sorts.

I’d rather it’s Addie than Charlotte. I’m also bored of these attack storylines. First Violet, now Charlotte. Who next ?

Comment by Amy – February 4, 2011 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know, right? It’s not like 1 in 3 women will be victims of violence in their lifetimes. Or that 1 in 6 women is raped in her lifetime.

Comment by xav – February 4, 2011 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • How many woman get their baby gutted from their stomachs? Exactly.

Comment by Julie – February 17, 2011 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Look forward to Alex on Private Practice…maybe she can be a love interest for “Sheldon”!

Comment by Tracey – February 4, 2011 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • An actress I don’t like going to a show I don’t watch. The only reason I read the article was in the hopes that this gig will keep her off “Doctor Who.” I can’t stand River Song.

Comment by Jessie – February 4, 2011 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hello Sweetie!

Comment by dee123 – February 5, 2011 02:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Alex but just can’t stomach Private Practice. I suspect I’m going to have to pass on this one.

Comment by Alex – February 5, 2011 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t stand River Song? she is freaking awesome.
    Hope she’ll never left doctor who.

Comment by Federico – February 5, 2011 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve never watched Private Practice, Grey’s Anatomy or any other medical show that isn’t Scrubs, so all this article serves to do is make me miss Doctor Who.

Dammit.

Comment by Hope – February 5, 2011 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

and dont get me wrong, i LOVE alex Kingston, i love love love her and i loved loved loved ER, which is why im so dissapointed she said yes to appear on this low brow knock-off!!! i despise grays anatomy and all that it entails( e.i. private practise) urgh!!!

Comment by rush – February 6, 2011 03:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And the worst part is, they’re splitting up the next season of Dr. Who into Spring and Fall seasons. What a bunch of bull-bleep!

Comment by Bob – February 7, 2011 06:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I tried loading this page with chrome, and it seems loads faster!

Comment by watch pretty little liars online – February 8, 2011 12:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post