Ratings: American Idol Week 2 Opens Strong - Are You A Season 10 Believer?

Early signs suggest that the changes American Idol made for Season 10 were very much for the better.

America’s most watched program opened Week 2 of its new cycle with an audience of 25.2 million total viewers and a 9.2 rating in the coveted 18-to-49 demo. That represents Idol‘s best audience/demo retention from Week 1 to Week 2 since Season 5, indicating that viewers are liking what they are seeing/hearing from the revamped judges’ table and the new crop of singers.

What’s more, Idol‘s Wednesday numbers were up 18 percent from last Thursday, marking the show’s best-ever improvement of a Night 3 over a Night 2.

Elsewhere on Wednesday:

* Possibly “lost” amidst a sea of ABC comedy repeats — and in turn hampered by the lack of a fresh Modern Family lead-in — a brand-new Cougar Town hit a season low 2.7 rating, and managed just 5.1 million total viewers.

* CBS’s temporarily (?) transplanted Blue Bloods dominated 10 pm with an audience of 11.95 million total viewers, and also topped the demos. ABC’s Off The Map, meanwhile, placed third in viewers (behind an SVU repeat), with 5.08 million.

1. Amanda says:

awww a shout out to Lost!

I haven’t really watched the past 4-5 seasons. This one is making me reconsider. Curious how the live shows will be.

2. susan says:

I was so worried that Idol couldn’t survive Simon’s departure. But I’m shocked to find that I am loving Steven Tyler!!

3. PopVulture says:

I’m a big Season 10 believer. Glad word’s getting out!

4. LiLa says:

The show has been great so far — love the new judges, esp. Steven Tyler plus we’re seeing more of the good contestants and less of the weird, no-talents. And the show is often laugh-out-loud funny. Lovin’ it!

• Ck says:

Amen! Laughed out loud for first time in years…in a good way. Genuinely touched for fist time in…ever? Judges are funny, on poont

• Ck says:

Amen! Laughed out loud for first time in years…in a good way. Genuinely touched for fist time in…ever? Judges are funny, on point, respectful, and PAY ATTENTION! randy

• Ck says:

Tried to finish/edit above comment,but had to add another post-sorry. Anyway, Randy might still be laughing and slightly more cruel than nevessary

• Ck says:

But that is hangover and I’ll effects of too many years on road w simon and producers and screeners without clue. Even he is coming around. Crist, even seacrest is showing glimpses of restraint and humanity (glimpses). Am more pleased w/ each episode. Who’d have thunk it? Enough typing on itouch. Computers and large font serve a purpose!

5. Kate says:

Glad CT is already secure for next year. They have had a bad stretch of luck losing the DVR add in last week and then being the only new comedy in the middle of all the repeats this week.

6. GS says:

I am a total believer! I LOVE Steven Tyler!

I also have to say that I really like Blue Bloods too. Great cast and good stories. Off the Map was just horrible. Cougar Town rocks! I cannot figure out why so many people love Modern Family but won’t give Cougar Town a try.

7. Diana says:

First, apparently I am not the only one who will follow Tom Selleck anywhere. Second, now I understand my big sister’s crush on Steven Tyler back in the day.

8. marie says:

So far, I am really enjoying Steven Tyler – he’s a real breath of fresh air for what had become a tired old show. A lunatic, yes, but a musician with a good ear and a genuinely nice guy with a heart, from all appearances. And J Lo shows signs of being the best female judge to date. The true test will be how they do on the live – vs. pre-recorded, edited – shows. Not thrilled that they lowered the eligibility to 15, but I guess we have Justin Bieber to (not) thank for that (I’d rather they’d raised it to 17 or even 18). But let’s see who makes the top 24 – last year’s crop was pretty poor. That even more than the judges will make the true measure of Season 10.

9. B- says:

Ah, poor “Cougartown”. It’s a fun show. The issue with it is the name AND the pilot. People still believe it’s about a woman dating younger men when the show has evolved into a funny ensemble comedy.

Everyone always looks like they’re having fun. Hopefully ABC hold on to the show. “Cougartown” is one of those shows that will do very well in Syndication.

10. B- says:

And Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler are EXACTLY what “Idol” needed. They are the life the show needed to give it more steam for a few more seasons. Furthermore, people are acting as if “The X-Factor” US will do gangbusters in the ratings… Sure it’s the number 1 show in the UK, but that doesn’t mean it will do as well here. Simon or not.

Remember, if Simon hires lame judges or tries to push Cheryl Cole on the American viewing audience, people may just tune out. She’s pretty, but can anyone who isn’t from the UK really understand what she’s saying half the time?

• Vetle says:

I’m not even english (british/american etc), but I understand what she’s saying. Though, I have been following X Factor UK for the last two seasons. I love Cheryl Cole. Favorite judge ever. :)