Exclusive: Castle Lathers Up With a Soap Star-Studded Murder Mystery

Quick, someone tell all my children to alert General Hospital, because ABC’s Castle is plotting a super-soapy wink-wink to Nathan Fillion’s daytime roots by slaying a daytime-TV scribe.

In an episode titled — wait for it — “One Life to Lose,” Beckett and Castle will delve into the murder of a soap opera scribe, TVLine has learned exclusively. As they work the case, watch for multiple stars from ABC’s own sudsers to make appearances (though probably not as themselves but fictional thespians).

What’s more, I am told that longtime fans of Fillion’s former daytime digs, One Life To Live, can expect at least one nod to his run as good boy Joey Buchanan.

Castle Exclusive: Adrian Pasdar Plays FBI Hero

Fillion has never shied away from his OLTL origins. In fact, he reprised his role of Joey for two episodes in 2007, and during his time on Castle has gone out of his way to court past/present daytimers to guest-star. To date, those soapy stop-overs have included A Martinez (ex-Cruz, Santa Barbara), Sarah Joy Brown (Agnes, The Bold and the Beautiful), Melody Thomas Scott (Nikki, The Young and the Restless) and Rick Hearst (Whip, B&B).

Similarly, Castle‘s Seamus Dever (who plays Kevin Ryan) boasts daytime cred, having played General Hospital‘s Dr. Ian Devlin for a stretch in 2008.

Fillion also is always game to plant “Easter eggs” for viewers, such as when he hid a prop from his short-lived Firefly series in one of last season’s scenes.

ABC Renews Grey’s, Castle and Four More – But Not Housewives

Castle‘s soap star-studded mystery is tentatively set to air March 21. Which of ABC Daytime’s finest — from OLTL, GH or AMC — would you like to see get mixed up in the mayhem? And how do you think the primetime drama will allude to Nathan’s time in Llanview?

Comments (81)

• I don’t watch this show, but will definitely tune in for this. I don’t watch soaps as religiously as I used to, but I certainly watched during Fillion’s days as Joey! I hope they use “core” characters from the soaps and not the newbies.

Comment by Jane – January 25, 2011 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Definitely Roger Howarth!

Comment by SC – January 26, 2011 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I so want Roger Haworth ! O PLEASE :)

Comment by Robin Rettich – February 21, 2011 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Roger Howarth Must Come Back! O Please ,So Fine and The Man I want to See *~* O Baby XSSSSSS :)

Comment by Robin Rettich – February 21, 2011 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hands down, it has to be Robin Strasser! She and Nathan were absolutely captivating!

Comment by EJ – January 26, 2011 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bradley Cole of Guiding Light and recently of General Hospital would be a great addition to the cast of this special episode of Castle.

Comment by JC – January 26, 2011 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I, too, would love to see Bradley Cole in this special episode of Castle.

Comment by Miranda – January 27, 2011 07:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I would love to see Bradley Cole, too! He would be fantastic in it!

Comment by Beth – January 27, 2011 08:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hmmmm…..
    Maurice Burnard (GH)- and he could play a mobster! bahahahahahahahaha. That would make Castle happy. :p

Comment by Alie – January 25, 2011 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love this news! Can’t wait to find out soap stars will appear! Really admire the way Nathan talks about his OLTL days-makes me an even bigger fan :)

Comment by Laurabried – January 25, 2011 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, Becky Herbst just got fired from GH (completely stupid move on their part), so I’m sure she’d like a job.

I love Steve Burton, Maurice Bernard, Laura Wright, Nancy Lee Grahn and Carolyn Hennesy. Any of those would be acceptable!

Comment by Meg – January 25, 2011 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My thoughts exactly, in fact I tweeted that to Seamus & Jon today! She would be an excellent addition to the castle cast.

Comment by Janet M – January 25, 2011 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree I am a GH fan!

Comment by RC – January 26, 2011 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Robin Strasser HAS to be on this episode!! She and Nathan always had excellent chemistry!

Comment by Mike – January 25, 2011 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Like the idea of Maurice Benard. Thorsten Kaye would be even better. Can’t be Robin Strasser — she’s a hundred years older than Nathan. It was disturbing enough the 1st time around.

Comment by Hillary – January 29, 2011 05:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d love some Robin Strasser even though she’s East Coast. And Brett Claywell even though he’s ex-daytime. And anyone from General Hospital really, just cause they’re right there. And Susan Lucci, cause she is daytime.

Comment by JennaD – January 25, 2011 05:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let’s not forget that Susan Sullivan, who plays Castle’s mom, Martha Rogers, used to be on Another World, so she, too, is a former soap star.

Comment by Kate – January 25, 2011 05:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Since Nathan was on OLTL I certainly hope they can manage to wrangle someone from ABC’s Daytime step child.

Comment by Kim – January 25, 2011 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is such a great idea! I can’t wait for this episode! Carolyn Hennesy would be fantastic, having her and Nancy Lee Grahn team up as criminals would be hilarious.

Comment by Christine – January 25, 2011 05:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m totally down with Carolyn Hennesy. She is so talented and I’m laughing just thinking about her on Castle. NLG would be cool too.

Comment by Alie – January 28, 2011 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Would love to see his Soap mom, Erika Slezak in an episode with him.

Comment by Bobby – January 25, 2011 06:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Either Erika Slezak or Susan Lucci would be great!

Comment by Hillary – January 29, 2011 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There was a nice little nod to Nathan a couple of weeks ago when an OLTL character was in a bookstore, picked up a copy of NAKED HEAT (Castle’s latest book), looked at the back cover and asked if the author looked familiar to the owner! Love little touches like that, even though I’m not an OLTL watcher.

Comment by gina – January 25, 2011 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kimberly McCullough (Robin on GH) would be great.
    Vincent Izazarry (David on AMC)
    Erika Slezak (Vicki on OLTL)

Comment by Cathy – January 25, 2011 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Robin was also in an episode of Firefly, so that would be a double whammy!

Comment by MP – January 26, 2011 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • sorry, the actress who plays Robin :)

Comment by MP – January 26, 2011 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Becky Herbst!!! She would be perfect :) Also Carolyn Hennesy and Nancy Lee Grahn. As for guys- Jason Thompson looks cute and soapy lol.

Actually if I had to pick just two- Becky Herbst and Jason Thompson would be terrific as a soap couple who is somehow involved in a murder.

Comment by Jennifer – January 25, 2011 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well since Nathan was on OLTL, I sure hope it’s someone or a few someones from that show. I would love to see Erika Slezak and Robin Strasser especially to be on this episode.

Comment by Christina – January 25, 2011 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A few of you already mentioned Rebecca Herbst(Elizabeth, GH) and Steve Burton(Jason, GH).

I’ll throw in Melissa Archer(Natalie, OLTL) and Erin Torpey(ex-Jessica, OLTL)

Comment by BearDogg-X – January 25, 2011 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love GH and the show has great actors, but I honestly think this particular episode would be more enjoyable if OLTL actors are featured, since that is the soap where Nathan got his start!

Comment by Ana – January 25, 2011 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The funny thing is that Castle seems to have a love afair with GH Seamus had a stint. Ric Hearst was just on as a step dad of the kid who was kidnapped. Sarah Brown was Bacholarette #3 in The Third Man. Blake Gibbons was recently on as was the guy who played Trevor Lansing.

Comment by Alie – January 28, 2011 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gina Tognoni (Kelly Cramer) has to be on – she was Joey’s (Nathan’s)first love on OLTL!

Comment by Moviegal – January 25, 2011 08:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gina Tognoni because Kelly/Joey had awesome chemistry…

Comment by Marni – January 25, 2011 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want to see Roger Howarth in this episode!

Comment by Gail – January 26, 2011 05:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Nathan Filion and I am sure it would be incridible to have Roger Howarth in the same show.

Comment by Helene – January 26, 2011 06:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • while this is all nice (if you are a soap fan, which I am not), I was hoping for a tvline recap of Mondays EXCELLENT Castle episode.

Comment by allie – January 26, 2011 06:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love to see Jason Thompson (General Hospital) on there.

Comment by Rani – January 26, 2011 07:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Roger Howarth definitely gets my vote! Robin Strasser would be great too.

Comment by gizmo – January 26, 2011 07:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would like to see Kelly Monaco on castle.They could use a great PI that can kick some arse on there.

Comment by shana – January 26, 2011 07:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Roger Howarth is my vote…a former One Life to Live’er that worked with Nathan. Nathan and Roger again would be a dream!

Comment by Deb – January 26, 2011 07:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • AMEN to that!!!

Comment by Elaine Andrusia – January 26, 2011 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They need to cast Robin Strasser and Erika Slezak (The grandame of Llanview). If you are a OLTL Fan, you know that Strasser and Fillion’s cougar storyline from the ’90s was HOT!!!! Also, Gina Tognoni couldn’t hurt either. Tognoni and Fillion were a cute couple back in the day.

Comment by Mo Walker – January 26, 2011 07:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yummmmmm – Roger Howarth for sure. Can he, Maurice Bernard, and Ted King all be in the same scenes. Whew!!

Comment by Jen – January 26, 2011 07:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love to see Kimberly McCullough (Robin Scorpio-Drake) from General Hospital play on Castle. Kimberlys character Robin played with Seamus when he was on GH. Would love to see that.

Comment by tomi – January 26, 2011 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want Jonathan Jackson to appear. He’s Lucky on General Hospital. Tony Geary would be good too. Or Becky Herbst (but they just fired her, so…)

Comment by Gigi – January 26, 2011 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • MAURICE BENARD!!!!!! please

Comment by Jackie – January 26, 2011 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would LOVE to see Roger Howarth (who is not only talented and extremely easy on the eyes) who was on when Nathan Fillion was on OLTL. He is such an awesome Actor and has numerous and I MEAN NUMEROUS Fan Base which means BIG BIG RATINGS for CASTLE!!!!! Then Ted King (who is simply awesome and so great to look at!!, Steve Burton would be a good bad guy along with Maurice Bernard!!!

Comment by Elaine Andrusia – January 26, 2011 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • BRADLEY COLE who is by far my favorite actor of all time who also has a huge fan base who just waiting to see him appear on TV again. He was a star on GUIDING LIGHT and appeared on GENERAL HOSPITAL. He would sure raise the shows ratings. I am a faithful CASTLE fan and Bradley Cole would be absolutely great on the show.

Comment by Carlita – January 27, 2011 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I watch Castle and enjoy it; would love to see Bradley Cole on the show.

Comment by Mimi – January 28, 2011 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I would love to see Bradley Cole, too. He’s also my favorite actor, and it would be great to see him again.

Comment by Leslie – January 29, 2011 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GH Vanessa Maricl and Maurice Benard would be awesome…

Comment by Dani – January 26, 2011 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No doubt about it…General Hospital’s Rebecca Herbst. According to HW Guza, her character is getting a big exit storyline. Why not tie the departure of this soap veteran in to Castle? Would love to see it. Rebecca is a fabulous and talented actress. It would be great to see her on your show!

Comment by maribeth d. – January 26, 2011 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GH Maurice Benard
    ALTL Ted King
    AMC Vincent Izazarry

Comment by Alana – January 26, 2011 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • From GH Maurice Benard/Kelly Monaco

Comment by Jose – January 26, 2011 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kelly Monaco(GH)
    Chad Duell(GH)

Comment by claudia – January 26, 2011 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kelly Monaco (GH) and
    Micheal Easton (OLTL)…..would be dynamite !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Berolinum – January 26, 2011 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show so much. I loved when Cruz Castillo from Santa Barbara showed up on the show. That was awesome. It would be so cool to have Eden (Marcy Walker) and Mason (Lane Davies) appear too. I was so disappointed when SB went off the air. I haven’t watched a soap since then (a good thing, I think, as they are addictive). I wonder if they will do the poker game again this season. That was so cool with the real writers. Maybe Anne Perry or Tami Hoag this time? Time to invite a lady to the table, isn’t it boys?

Comment by isolde – January 26, 2011 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Roger Howarth, who else?

Comment by Kim – January 26, 2011 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched OLTL back in the day and loved Joey Buchanan. I think it is great Fillion doesn’t shy away from his soapy past. I’d like to see his OLTL family, Erika Slezak & Erin Torpey, as well as Gina Tognoni/Kelly (sp?). Joey and Kelly were a hot couple. They had a lot of chemistry. Oh, and Robin Strasser would be great, too. She and Joey were quite a controversial May/December romance back in the day.

From other soaps, Steve Burton & Joshua Jackson from GH, Vincent Izarry (sp?) & David Canary from AMC. Or, Rebbeca Budig & Cameron Matheson.

Too many choices, but I’d like to see OLTL actors foremost.

Comment by MonkeyFace – January 26, 2011 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love to see Bradley Cole in this show. He’s the best!

Comment by betsy – January 26, 2011 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with Bradley Cole. He would be a wonderful in this!

Comment by betsy – January 26, 2011 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree that Bradley Cole would be the perfect addition for this show. He’s the best!!

Comment by betsy – January 26, 2011 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kristen Alderson (Starr, OLTL), Kassie DePaiva (Blair, OLTL), and/or Kelly Monaco (Sam, GH)…need I say more!

Comment by Christina – January 26, 2011 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree that Bradley Cole would be a great choice. He was wonderful on Guiding Light and General Hospital. I would love to see him on Castle.

Comment by Ann – January 26, 2011 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I absolutely agree with this. Bradley Cole would be great.

Comment by Miranda – January 27, 2011 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kristen Alderson (Starr, OLTL), Kassie DePaiva (Blair, OLTL), & Kelly Monaco (Sam, GH)

Comment by Christina – January 27, 2011 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BRADLEY COLE!!!

Comment by Lizzie – January 27, 2011 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Come on guys, Bradford Anderson (Spinelli) on GH NEEDS to be on primetime TV. He’s wonderful!

Comment by Lisa – January 27, 2011 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Roger Howarth Hands down! One of the most talented actors I have ever saw!

The beautiful and talented Kassie Depaiva(OLTL)

Lastly Kristen Alderson(OLTL)

Comment by Kelly – January 27, 2011 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Roger Howarth Hands Down!!

The beautiful and talented Kassie DePaiva